Speaker 1: It's a nice eye with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm going mazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Madison. A wise decision by the Red Sox not to play baseball tonight. Yikes, whould have been out there on water skis. My name is Dan Ray, the host of Nightside with Dan Ray, whod every weeknight from eight to midnight here on WBZ Boston's ten thirty Boston's News Radio ten thirty on the AM dial. Rob Brooks the producer of this program. I always like to introduce Rob. He is back in the control room at broadcast headquarters, the central location in beautiful Medford, Massachusetts, and he will set you up with telephone calls. Once we get to our guest portion of the program. At nine o'clock, we'll be talking with Mike Kinneely. He's a Republican running for governor. We talked with Brian Shortsleeve, a Republican running for governor, on Tuesday night, and tonight we'll talk with Mike. And we'll also talk at ten o'clock tonight with the Consul General from the Nation of Israel two New England to Consul General Benny SHARONI about this just tragic event last night in Washington, d C. Two staff members of the Israeli Embassy in Washington, DC shot and killed. They were leaving an event at the Capitol Jewish Museum. The suspect is under arrest, and we'll talk about that. And I think we're in for a tough summer here in America. It just seems to be lining up that way. But before we get to all of that, we have four very interesting guests here in the eight o'clock hour, and we're going to start off with a special ed teacher. She's also an author and now illustrator of a new book. The book is called Abilities with Us as Michelle McLain. Michelle, welcome to Nightside. Thank you for what you do as a special ed teacher. How are you this evening.
Speaker 3: I'm good. Thank you so much, Dan for having me on your show. It means so much.
Speaker 1: You're very welcome. Do a very impressed with your book. It's interesting. It's you described as a local special ed teacher who wrote and illustrated a book and graphic novel. Now the word graphic, he has a couple of interpretations. Uh, this is not the bad term graphic. Uh, this is Uh, it is intended to show that this uh, this novel called Abilities about children with learning and social disabilities trying to navigate school life and friendships. It's illustrated. Uh, and it's uh it's quite bright, uh brightly uh well written, and and and and brightly illustrated. Uh. It's it's a it's a book that I think I think every child should read. And I think you would agree with me on that. What motivated you to write the book? Obviously tell us what it's about generally, and then who is it intended to benefit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So I'll tell you a little bit about what it's about. So Abilities follows for middle school students, each with a different disability. The disabilities are autism, dyslexia, ADHD, and social emotional challenges. And the books just really shows the ups and downs of middle school and it explores obstacles that middle school students with disabilities face, but it also just highlights how their unique strengths can kind of come together to overcome different difficult challenges. And just in the book you get to see them achieve something meaningful, which I think is just so important for all students with disabilities to understand. And then what really.
Speaker 1: Inspired right ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh go, okay, So what inspired me to write the book? Obviously, my students have been my biggest inspiration. I keep a special education support class called Skills and what kept happening, and it still happens today. Every day I interact with amazing kids with different disabilities. But they sometimes actually a lot of the time they come and just say calling themselves dumb or stupid, and I felt like I was constantly just reminding them that they are not They just learn in a different way and that's okay. So yeah, that's kind of what motivated me to start this book because I just kept looking for a story for my students, and I just felt like there was nothing for middle school students for them to connect with and to just to understand their disability but also understand that like they're okay and being different is fine.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So who can benefit from from reading the book? You mentioned these are middle school students? Is this book written for middle school students? Is it written for kids who are younger and are coming along who someday will be in middle school? What's your target audience?
Speaker 3: So originally I thought of my middle school students, but I have heard I've heard from students that are in elementary school that they love and enjoy the book. So my targeted audience, I think is now just like everyone. I think almost everyone knows someone with a disability, whether it's a friend, a classmate, or a coworker. Stories like these don't just like help people with disabilities better understand themselves, but they also help others learn and grow, and they show that while disabilities can have challenges, they also come with strengths that deserve to be celebrated. So that's the goal, and the goal is through sharing these experiences, is just to build empathy, understanding, and just a deeper appreciation for perspectives and personalities.
Speaker 1: Now, is this your first book?
Speaker 3: Yes, this is my first book. And this took me five years to do, and I think I've spent I can't even tell you how many hours I spent drawing like every page. So I don't know if there's going to be another book. I think I'm going to start working another book, it's just this one.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 3: I started writing this book during COVID, when obviously I had a lot of time and I don't have kids yet, and so I had plenty of time during that time to kind of work on this book. But yes, this is my first book. No.
Speaker 1: Look, it's beautifully illustrated, it's bright colors. So it's something that kids are going to read. What class level? I mean, how young could a child be to benefit from this book? Could it be someone in the first or second grade? Or would they need some help with the language describing? Because I'm sure there are parents out there saying, gee, this might be a good book to get for their children. So not only maybe that if they're dealing with any of these abilities as you describe them, but they're going to run into kids, it will help them be a little bit more empathetic when they run into some other children as they go along. So how young can a child be to benefit from this book? Just from the point of view of reading the book.
Speaker 3: On as a teacher, I don't think it matters. I think once they have an interest in reading, parents can read this book. I would hate to put an age limitation on any book, you know what I mean. Yeah, so when they start showing an appreciation for reading. And one thing that I love about graphic novels is that they support students with reading. Visuals are so helpful for kids to help them kind of navigate some of the words. So yeah, I'm sorry, I don't have an easy answer for you. I'm not big on putting levels on reading.
Speaker 1: I remember as a child some of the books that I read, really when I was young, they were they were books that were Remember there was one that I read about how a letter was written and mailed in the mailbox and that it went in a truck to to a location where it was put into another truck and put on an airplane and flown across the country. And the pictures almost tell the story. And I suspect that's what this book does. But of course to back up the pictures, uh and I. So the big question now is it's on Amazon as I can see it's it's available now as I understand it. Actually, ye, okay, when when.
Speaker 3: Was it purchase it?
Speaker 1: When did it come out? Technically we came out I guess in late December.
Speaker 3: So yeah, when I had a day off from work I was able to put I bothered my husband to help me. He's an art director and he works in graphic designs, so he had a lot of He helped me a lot with putting this book together. So it was the day after Christmas. I bothered him enough where we were. He helped me put together the book and publish it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's great. Well, Michelle, thanks very much. I understand that your dad is a big fan of the book as well.
Speaker 3: On my production shell, he's so excited.
Speaker 1: I'm that's great. That's great. Where you say hello to him for us? Okay, what's your dad's first name?
Speaker 3: Yes, Jimmy kellerher Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Kelly here Keller Okay, maybe Irish? So I got something in common with him there, Okay, so I'm proud of my daughter too, so I know exactly what feels like. Michelle, thanks very much. The book is called Abilities. It's available certainly at Amazon, and I assume some good bookstores it must be available as well.
Speaker 3: Correct, not yet, not quite.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we got to get him in bookstore, so we have people who own bookstores. Its Abilities, and again available most easily through Amazon. Michelle, thanks very much. Congratulations on a developing a second career, not only a teacher but now an author. Thanks very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much for having me on the show, and thank everyone and your crew. They've all been wonderful just putting this call together.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, Thank you, very very much. When we get back, when I talk with Jackie Cushman, she's the president to the Adams Memorial Commission in Quinsy, and this is a group that is trying to drum up support for John Adams Memorial. I didn't realize that Quinsy lacked the Home of Presidents, lacked a John Adams Memorial. We'll be talking with Jackie Cushman on the other side of the break. My name's Dan Ray. This is night Side, So Thursday night, May twenty second, and it's raining cats and dogs here in It's really coming down here in the greater Boston area and probably all up and down the East Coast. So stay inside, stay out of the cross, stay warm, and listen to Nightside. And when we get to the telephone portion of the program, we'll give all the numbers and you can join the conversation and your voice can be heard all across all across the United States and in many parts of the world on the night Side broadcast through the iHeart app, the new and improved iHeart app. Bring it down, make us your first preset. WBZ will always be just a fingertip away wherever you are in this big wide world. Back on Nightside after.
Speaker 2: This, You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, I think all of us know that Quincy is the home of presidents. And with us is Jackie Cushman. She's the president of the Adams Memorial Commission. Jackie Cushman. Welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 4: I am great. Thank you so much for having me on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You have an interesting looks like maiden named Jackie Gingrich Cushman. Now, I don't want to open this up the politics, but any relation to the former speaker.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so. My dad is a former speaker, Nuke Gingrich.
Speaker 1: Oh my godness.
Speaker 4: I grew up in politics and all I remember. But I love this project for the Adams family, and I know we're going to talk about it, but I think it's a really important project, not just for Massachusetts, for our country.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well that was it was. Look, Gingrich is not the name of Smith of Brown's. So I took a shot and uh and thank you rank you very much. Uh. Some people have told me that your dad and I beer resemblance, maybe maybe philosophically, but also physically to one another. We both have a full head of hair, and a couple of times we were in the newspapers together as separated at birth. So if you ever talked to you, may be talking too, might be talking to his doppel ganger. Right now, I wish I was as smart as nude Gangridge.
Speaker 4: Oh God, that's true. Then you and I have the same eyes because I have the same eyes as my father, so well, you and I must look alike as well.
Speaker 1: So I think. So let's talk about this Adams Memorial Commission. How did you get involved in this?
Speaker 4: You know that that's an interestant question.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 4: I was nominated and appointed by President Trump at the end of his first term. I had no idea. My dad had nothing to do with it. I've been working for gosh decades on community projects, mainly in the Atlanta area. But I was, I was. I'ming a president's appointee, and I love this project because it's bipartisan, is good for the country. It focuses on our founding father or family founding the family, right, So it's just a great project. And I've learned so much more about the Adams that have been involved. I'm really thrilled that I'm part of this project.
Speaker 1: So where do we stand on this project? I would have imagined there would have been some physical memorial to John Adams as our second president in Washington, D C. And that's what the goal of the project then for the Memorial Commission is at this point. That's that's what that's what you're trying to make happen. Have you picked the side? Where where do you stand on this project? None of this is going to be simple, I'm sure you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, as you know, nothing in Washington is simple, and certainly not memorials, right, I mean the Washington you know, the Washington mind me. If you go and look at DC, you can literally see where it stopped. They stopped doing the Washington Monument for years. But if it isn't the funding and the Jefferson money was built without final approval, which is so funny. So you know what we have is we have in Washington, we have the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial, and when we don't have the John Adams, right he second president, vice president? Like, oh my god, he's so deserving. The more I'll learn about John Abigail and John Quincy, and Louisa Cavin. The more I love this family. They are so dedicated to our country, they are so focused on what they're doing. They so deserve recognition our nation's capital, and that's where were going to have happened. But as you said earlier, this is not a fast process, and the process begins with site selection and then design. So where we are is we have a build us in Congress, so please everyone write your congressman. And Stephen Lynch from Quincy is one of our commissioners. He's great, He's a congressman, very very very involved in the project. But what we're trying to do is we're trying to establish the site and then from there we'll get the design for the Adams from Moreland, Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: By the way, I've only known Steve about thirty five years, so he is a he's a great American and he's a Democrat, but he's still a great American. I want you to know absolutely, And no, I'm a really great guy, and he's he's a wonderful person as a as I'm sure you have come to know, and he is he's very influential on the other side of the aisles. So I'm sure that will work. We should have had Steve On with us tonight as a matter of fact, is to talk about this bipartisan effort. But again, Quincy is the home of the Adams family. It is to me. It's it's stunning that now, what two hundred plus years, two hundred and twenty five years after this, a man served as President of the United States, there's still they still lack a memorial in Washington, d c. In his memory, And hopefully you'll get it going and anything we can do for you, Jackie, please keep us in mind here because.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely so Yeah, everyone can go to this so it's the Adams Memorial dot org. It's a nonprofit. We'd love to have you siund up to get information saw us and socials obviously donate. But he is so deserving. I mean, just think about on the road to two fifty, like we're about to get this out right to fifty years yep, two and fifty years ago he was in Philadelphia serving in the second Count of Congress while Abigail was home raising the family, and they didn't know how it was going to turn out.
Speaker 1: Well, there was nothing, nothing was guaranteed back then, no, no, and.
Speaker 4: He and he nominated George Washington to be the commander in chief. He was the one to suggested Thomas Jefferson should write the Delia Declaration of Independence, and when it came back on the floor, he's the one that argued for so he is so deserving of a monument, a memorial in Washington. See. And we also as a country, they served us so well, and we should do some worlds not just in service to them, but also to our country because the women inspire the next generation of Americans to give as much as the Adams.
Speaker 1: Said, Well, it's a great project. It's a pleasure to talk with you. And when you see my friends Steve Lynch telling me you were on my show, he's only been about twenty five times, I'm sure, and he really is. We have an interesting collection of Democrats here in Massachusetts, as you probably know, and he's one of the ones who enjoys coming on this program. Let me put it like that, Okay, he's been a friend for many years. I knew him when he was a state representative, state senator, and I'm sure he's being He's a immense value to the effort. And say hello to your dad. I know your dad was a great historian, so I suspect that you have have have picked up a lot of that historical appreciation from your dad. So it's a I think it's a great combination between you and Steve Lynch and others. And again, give that website one more time so people can get information and maybe support it.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. So it's the Adams Memorial dot org. And we also have social media, so please follow us. We're announcing a scholarship thing. We're giving a scholarshful way to a senior in high school who's going to college. And we have lots of good things going on. One of the things of the Road to two fifty, which talks about John and Abigail on the way to the Declaration of Independence. So we're so thrilled to this project, and thank you very.
Speaker 5: Much for having me on it.
Speaker 1: Jackie Cushman, President of the Adams Memorial Commission. Love the interview, Jackie. And by the way, tomorrow we post this on our podcast page. My producer can tell you how to do it. He probably has already, but you can pull this down and use this. I'll just post it on your page and spread the word around the country because here w's. I don't know if you know. WBZ is heard virtually everywhere in the eastern half of the US where a big old, one of those iconic radio stations from way back in the nineteen twenties, long time ago. I wasn't working here at the time. I want to make that. Thank you, Jackie, all right, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All's say, how do you dadt for me?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, have a good night.
Speaker 1: All right. We have the news coming up here at the bottom of the hour, which of course is very important, and we'll be back right after the news. On the other side, we'll go to talk about the New England Aquarium whale watch partners. They partner with the Boston Harbor City Cruises for the twenty twenty five season. Now, maybe you don't want to go on a whale watch today, tonight, or tomorrow, but you may want to get some information about these whale watches because you may sometime this summer like to go on one. Win the weather, it's just a little warmer. We're coming back on night Side right after the news.
Speaker 2: It's night Side you Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Not a great day to have traveled, And as we begin to get closer to the Memorial Day weekend. Let's hope the weather gets better. All right. My name's Dan Ray, and we're going to be talking about something that everybody likes to do in the summertime, and that is a whale watch. The New England Aquarium now is a whale watch partner with Boston Harbor City Cruises for the twenty twenty five season with us as Bob Wawler, he's the Regional vice president general manager of Boston Harbor City Cruises. Explain to me, first off, I know what a whale watch is. Bob explained to me the partnership with New England Aquarium. How does that work?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: Hey, Dan, how are you? And thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 6: We've been a partner with the England Aquarium for well over ten years now, and what that does for us is it really has credibility and allows us to share research with the aquarium. We hire many of their interns as our nows and we you know, the biggest part is sharing the data and sharing the knowledge that the aquarium can bring to our guests that come on board our crews. So our naturalists work together with the interns from the aquarium, and as I said, we share all the data of all the whales and all the species that we see when we're out there.
Speaker 1: So so just to be clear, because I was a little confused on it, you in order to get tickets and get to the boats for the whale watch, you're not getting them at the aquarium or walking through the aquarium. And there's no tour that's associated with it. You have an association where you use the you work with the folks from the aquarium, who in turn work with you. Guys. It's a it's a cooperative effort effort.
Speaker 6: Right, But also we do depart right from their dock, so we not only do we share, well we leave right next to the aquarium. And so that makes it even better.
Speaker 1: Well, it makes it easier for people to find where they're going, because I know sometimes when you go down to the to the harbor and you're trying to figure which boat is witch or where you're going, you don't have much of an idea. So tell us the whale watches this summer. What's the schedule like, And let's first of all talk about that, and how long are the whale watches and what obviously, I know what they're going out there to see whales. How's it all work? What's going on? Sure?
Speaker 6: Well, we started cruising started with our whale watch season on the sixteenth, which was last Friday, and we'll go all the way through November as long as the whales are there, and the whales have just come up from the Caribbean and we see all kinds of species we see. You know, the ones that we see the most are the humpback whales and they like to put on a really great show either feeding and jumping around, breaching, slapping their tails. But we also see finback whale, fin whales and sea whales and minckey whales, as well as many species of dolphins and seabirds while we're out there. So this year we cruise every day, multiple times a day, so we do at least two cruises a day on weekdays and that'll pick up to four crew is a day as we get into the summer, and on weekends we can do up to eight cruises.
Speaker 2: So last year we.
Speaker 6: Carried over one hundred and twenty two thousand passengers out to stell Wagon Bank to see the whales. On five hundred and twenty four cruises.
Speaker 1: So how how far out do you go do you have to go to see a whale starting from the aquarium. How many nautical miles do you do you have to see that's.
Speaker 6: A great question. Well, stell Wagon Bank is the feeding zone and that's where the whales like to hang out all summer long. That's about twenty five miles outside of Boston. But it's a huge marine sanctuary that stretches all the way from Cape Ann all the way down to Cape Cod. But occasionally we get lucky, and even last week there was a juvenile humpback whale swimming around in Boston Harbor. But when we see one that close, that doesn't count as a whale watch. We like to get out there where the population is.
Speaker 1: Now. There's no truth to the room. And someone told me that last year there was one whale watch where there was a congo line of whales dancing along by the boat. That's not true, correct, Just.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not sure who called it a congo line. But it's not uncommon for five seven whales to work together feeding and they use they call it's called bubble feeding or bubble net feeding, and they swim in circles and they blow bubbles and capture all those fish they need. Each whale needs to eat about three thousand pounds of krill and small fish a day.
Speaker 1: Man, do you think, and again, you know more about this than me, and I don't script questions? Do you think these whales that are out there understand that there are human beings on boats coming out to observe. Do you think that they're that intelligent, you know, species, that they really understand what's going on. I suspect they do. And I'm not a I'm not an expert on whales.
Speaker 6: I suspect they do too, Dan, and I think that, you know, as we see the same whales coming back year after year, and there are certain whales that seem to be more attracted certain boats, and whether that be from the noise the boat makes so the hum of the engines, or but they like to put on a show for us, and it's been great, so I like to think that they do.
Speaker 1: So literally any day. We got to first get the website so that people could have had a chance to listen to us. This is something that it's for all ages, whether it's a senior citizens going out on a romantic cruise or whether it's kids for the first time on a boat that is actually going out onto the ocean. Tell us, what's the website.
Speaker 6: So the website is Citycruises dot Com. Very easy, and just click on the Boston page and you'll find the New England Aquarium. Well, watch right up front, and I think you passed me earlier. How long is each whale watch? And it's about three and a half hours. So we get to you know, we cruise out there for about forty five minutes. It takes us a little while to find where the whales are, and we'll stay with them as long as we can for another hour usually, and then we'll we'll head back into shore. So it's about a three and a half hour adventure. And we're doing that every day during the summer, just beginning.
Speaker 1: Last and it's comfortable.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You have you know, restaurants, climb food.
Speaker 6: We have food, food and beverage on board, climate controlled and we use very stable catamarants. So we use high speed catamarans to go out there and see the whales. So it's very comfortable. Okay, Now I heard you say you wouldn't do it today, Well neither would I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this was a tough day, that is for sure, is it? It probably is not very weather dependent once the the good weather finally gets here, correct, I mean, I'm assuming that if you take a throw a dart at a at a calendar of the month of June, July, and or August, you're going to be pretty safe.
Speaker 6: You are the only thing, you know, The whales like like the water. They don't mind the rain, so they're out there. The only thing that would really cause us to cancel a trip or interrupt the trip would be high winds, which would bring the heavy seas and a little too rough. We like to keep our passengers nice and comfortable. We don't we don't want anybody having a bad time out there. So when the way, when the waves get too high, we'll just stay on shore and we'll try another day.
Speaker 1: And and just for my audience to the prices are pretty I'm sure reasonable. Obviously they're not. They're gonna this is something that that that people are going to pay for. This isn't free. But the prices are within reason.
Speaker 6: Hope, I hope they are within reason. And they're very competitive to the other whale watch companies were we start at seventy dollars. And that's for a three and a half hour adventure out on the sea.
Speaker 1: Great, and is it does it breakdown between adults and kids or is it per person?
Speaker 6: Yes, there's kid there's kid prices as well.
Speaker 1: So good, okay, great, Yeah, Now I just want I want my audience to understand what's going on and uh and this is something that everyone at some point should take advantage of, that's for sure. I appreciate your time tonight. This was a fun, fun chat, Bob, and I'd love to have conversations that are more fun related like this later on during the night we get into all politics and stuff, but this is something we all can agree upon that well. Watch is for all ages a great summer adventure.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much for you, and thank you. And yeah, just check out Citycruises dot com and you'll find us.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you about Bob law and reason, vice president, general manager of the Boston Harbor City Cruises. When we come back, we'll talk about another adventure for this summer. This one is land based. It's the American Heritage World War Two Museum. The World War Two Memorial Day festivities are upcoming, and we will talk with Rob Collins the president of the American Heritage Museum. Right after this break on Nightside.
Speaker 2: It's Nightside with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Well, summer approaches, and we're gonna once again talk with Rob Collings. He's the president of the American Heritage Museum. The American Heritage Museum, we'll be conducting their World War Two Memorial Day festivities in order this Memorial Day weekend. Welcome back, Rob Collins. How are you tonight.
Speaker 5: I'm wonderful, Dan, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Sure, so let's once again very quickly because I want people to know where you guys are located. You are really in at least two or three communities. It's a big parcel of land that upon which the American Heritage Museum.
Speaker 5: Sits correct, that's correct, The American Heritage Museum. Our physical address is in Hudson at five sixty eight Main Street in Hudson, but the vast majority of the property is in the town of Stow, and there we have this incredible museum which is sixty seven thousand square feet, but it's on a one hundred and thirteen acre parcel which allows us to have these tank demonstration weekends, historical reenactments, and other events, and during these weekends we open up other parts of the museum which are not generally open to the public, which includes an aircraft hangar and an antique car barn, which makes it just a fantastic time.
Speaker 1: So the event this weekend, the World War Two Tank Demonstration Weekend, is literally from Saturday at nine o'clock the twenty fourth of Saturday through Sunday afternoon at five pm. And I think that's actually pretty good timing with all the weather bad weather we've seen the last couple of days. Are you still open on Friday, you know, tomorrow, or do you open up on the twenty fourth Saturday at nine o'clock.
Speaker 5: I want to make the absolutely open tomorrow, as we are all weeks from Tuesday through Sunday. Unless it's a holiday week than we're open Mondays and Tuesdays with school holidays, but we are open tomorrow for the public. We are an indoor facility, so even in the lousy weather we've been having, people can come out and have an amazing time. And this weekend's looking really good. Looks like the rain's going to stop. It's going to be cooler, maybe more overcast on Saturday, but a perfect day for watching these tanks run.
Speaker 1: So tell us what people will see in the tank demonstrations.
Speaker 5: This is where we really try to bring history to life. We'll bring out some of the most iconic of the American World War two tanks, including there'll be a couple Sherman tanks, three Stort tanks, and M thirty six Jackson M twenty four to Chaffey. And these vehicles represent the American armor from the European theater in World War Two. And not only is it Memorial Day weekend, but we just saw the celebrations for V Day victory in Europe, and eighty years ago on May eighth, Europe was liberated. It wasn't just winning the war against Hitler. It was important that we're liberating France, Belgium, all of these countries that had been oppressed for so many years.
Speaker 1: And these tanks are not replicas. These are actual tanks that were involved in World War II, as I.
Speaker 5: Understand correct, that's correct. These are actual examples of these types that will be.
Speaker 2: Out running and driving.
Speaker 5: And to see them moving around, to see something that's twenty thirty tons, they are impressive. You can feel them as they go by. It's a great step back in time to understand what these vehicles were like. And without those there wouldn't be the freedom in Europe that there is today. And people can experience it because think about what it was like for these young crew members, eighteen nineteen year old kids who were thrust into these battles. But you can be part of this, not in a battle, but you can ride along a tank or even drive one of these vehicles experience what it was like.
Speaker 1: Right, But just to be clear, and I always want to be clear with my audience, that's an additional charge if you want to get into the tank or drive it. That's that that can be. That is an additional.
Speaker 5: Charge, correct, That's absolutely right. It's an additional charge on the lower end of the spectrum. We have rides in the half track. I believe they're forty dollars a person, but driving a tank is a lot more expensive on that.
Speaker 1: So what's the top end? Just so that people know for sure, if I say I want to get up there and drive a tank. Uh, you know how, what's what's that going to cost?
Speaker 5: If you want to be driving one of these tanks? The chaffee is nine hundred and ninety five dollars and the Sherman tank is fourteen hundred and fifty dollars. But it is an amazing experience. And it's what's incredible to me is the demographic of people who are doing this. It's incredible how many younger men and women are doing this. When I say younger, I mean like seventeen eighteen years old. A lot of times it's a high school gift, but today there are so many younger people who know these vehicles intimately through these video games. When I was a young kid, I would learn about aircraft or tanks, this history through models. But today these video games have really brought a whole new generation and built their interest. And interestingly, it was last weekend in the Wall Street Journal they were talking about the impact of World War two books and how this is the largest growing segment. And it's not World War Two books for adults, it's for kids. There's a huge amount of interest out there amongst the younger generations now.
Speaker 1: So if somebody, for whatever reason has the inclination and the financial wherewithal to drive one of these tanks, and again you mentioned the prices are pretty steep, did they get like a couple of photographs taken of themselves as a memory. I hope that they get they get something like that. In addition, what would what does a package like that include?
Speaker 5: Well, in this day and age, everyone's coming with their cameras. We're always equipped with them. They're always with us. And some people do put like a GoPro up there and have this. But it's really the experience is the one on one time with the instructor of learning about the vehicle, what it was like, how it operates, and so forth before you get into this tank or when you get into it.
Speaker 1: And for those who might be interested, you know, again, this is a this is a unique experience. Not too many people could ever say that they drove a World War II tank. What's the the approximate length of time that someone can be in command of the tank? Is it a thirty minute ride or something? What's the GIF? Give us some idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, normally with the driving, it's about fifteen minutes, and that's the point when most people physically are tired of it, and it gives you an appreciation. Remember it is a thirty ton vehicle and whenever you move those break laterals to steer it there is no power steering, there's no power assist you're doing steering.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I'm only would I would not have assume that is.
Speaker 5: The one thing that everyone appreciates a whole lot more is the commitment and sacrifice that was made by these these young men during World War II. And they all agree on one thing. When they get out of there. None of them are losing any arm wrestling competitions. These guys must have been really strong to be doing this, you know, eight ten hours a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting. I know that some days we talk about how rough people in their early teens and early twenties, or they're in they're late between teams in their early twenties feel they have it today. And I think of that World War two generation, not only the people who landed on June sixth at Normandy and all those beaches, but I think about these young men who are driving these tanks across Europe. None of them will look at for you know, comforty animals, our blankets. They had to grow up real quickly, and it's amazing. And I think this will drive it home to people who perhaps don't have as much an appreciation of that as as maybe a prior generations have. So it's a great it's a great event. Give us the website one more time, so people who are intrigued and want to get up there this weekend, this Saturday and Sunday. What's the website, Bob.
Speaker 5: Rob Absolutely American Heritage Museum dot org. So American Heritage Museum dot org will bring you to the website. You can pre purchase tickets or you can buy them at the entrance. It is going to be going on from nine to five Saturday and Sunday or shine. But it's looking like we're going to have some decent weather and it's a wonderful way to step back in time. And I think you very succinctly said it. We're very privileged today with everything that we have. We look back now eighty years ago on the people and the sacrifices and that they had to make so we can have the lives we have today, and I think we all have to appreciate that a little bit more, and this is one way to do that, to have a greater understanding of what life was like eighty years ago during World War Two and at the end of the war.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Rob callings from the American Heritage Museum dot org. Appreciate best of luck this weekend. I hope the weather breaks perfectly for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: All right, talk, so all right, we're done for the eight o'clock hour. We have a newscast coming up, and on the other side, we will be talking with a second candidate for governor on the Republican side. Again, this race is going to be an interesting race. We talked on Tuesday night with Brian short Sleeve and and I'll be talking with my guess, Mike Kennely. He'll be back with us right after the nine o'clock news here on nightside.