Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, August nineteenth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. No matter where you're listening this morning. So happy that you're here. So if you're listening right now, it probably means that your alarm goes off so I can share with you a little story that happened over the weekend. I get up and see that the clock is three twenty five over the weekend. I freak out and think, oh my god, my alarm didn't go off because I normally get up at two thirty to get here at three thirty. So I jump out of bed. I'm like, okay, how do I make it to work in time? Should I call producer? And should I call somebody and let him know? I run and you know, get up, walk into the living room, look around in a haze because you wake up out of a dead sleep and go into an instant panic mode. And then I look at the kitchen and I go, why why isn't the coffee brewing? Because I have it. I'm like auto brew And so I sit there for about ten seconds saying, oh, oh God, it's Saturday. Thank goodness. So I went back to sleep. It's not a fun way to be awakened out of a dead sleep. So hopefully your wake up was a little more calming this morning. And as you're driving in, if you can before it gets light, at least if you're not in your car and on your way to work, peek outside or walk out onto the back deck or balcony or the backyard or wherever or whatever you have. There's a supermoon. It's the first supermoon of the year. There's four of them this year, and this is the first one. And La Luna is very bright this morning, beautiful, beautiful. So if you get a chance, take a peek. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. President Biden will headline the first night of the Democratic National Convention tonight. He was supposed to be accepting his party's nomination Thursday, but of course dropped out of the race three weeks ago. Former presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton are scheduled to address delegates tomorrow and Wednesday, leading up to Kamala Harris accepting the nomination on Thursday night. ABC's Karen Travers is on the ground in Chicago. We're going to be talking with her at the bottom of the hour. DA George Gascones expected to announce criminal charges this afternoon in the murder of actor Johnny Whacter in downtown LA. Four people were arrested last week. Alien Romulus has opened in first place at the box office, took in forty to forty two million dollars. Deadpool and Wolverine still up there in second place in its fourth weekend of release. It ends with US is in third and Twisters is in fourth. A little later this hour, we're going to be talking with a seventeen year old who's on a journey of more than sixteen hundred miles walking because his grandmother and her friends are having a hard time making ends meet. Very inspiring, so we hope you'll stick around for that. That's coming up. Before the top of the hour. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Long Beach is going to start clearing homeless camps. Today, Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Democratic National Convention is about to get under way in Chicago. President Biden is said to give tonight's keynote address. He dropped his bid for reelection last month amid pressure from high level Democrats and endorsed Vice President Harris for the nomination. ABC's Chris John Cordero sis Harris is set to accept the party's nomination on Thursday.
Speaker 4: She and running mate Minnesota Governor Tim Wall stopped in Pittsburgh on a bus tour on word to the DNC in Chicago, the city expecting fifty thousand visitors.
Speaker 1: Harris says her acceptance speech is coming along. As she put it, LA Mayor Bass is in Chicago for the opening of the convention. I am very excited. I'm so excited to be a part of this moment in history. I know that the enthusiasm is going to be.
Speaker 3: Off the charge.
Speaker 1: Bass is said to speak at the convention tonight. She told KTLA she's not going to be there later this week, when Harris actually accepts the nomination, she says she has to hurry home because as she put it, there's a lot going on in la you think. Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln says the time is now to wrap up a ceasefire agreement for the Israel Hamas war. He's in the Middle East for the ninth time since the war started in October.
Speaker 2: The folks of my visit is intensely on getting the hostages back, getting the ceasefire done.
Speaker 1: Mediators are meeting again this week in Cairo to try to finalize a deal. Blincoln met with Israeli President Isaac Herzog tel Aviv before he meets today with Prime Minister Netanyahu in Jerusalem. Lincoln will travel to Egypt tomorrow. We're going to get the latest out of the Middle East with ABC Jordana Miller. That's coming up at five twenty. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Tom Rivers. Good morning, Tom. Ukraine is continuing to push into Russia. It's been over a week now.
Speaker 5: Good good morning. I mean, yeah, two weeks tomorrow and this incursion continues. And again they've done We heard over the weekend that hit a key bridge, which is important for blocking you know, Russian reinforcements and getting supplies through et cetera, et cetera. They've also now attacked two smaller bridges. So in that particular area about twenty five miles in length, it's very difficult to get supplies from Russia into their forces in Ukraine. Of course, the border is hundreds of miles long. They'll find other routes et cetera, et cetera, but in that area it's it's it's doing what they said it wanted to be done. And Zelenski talked about it yesterday when he said, basically, we led to create a buffer zone in that area.
Speaker 1: Okay, and the cross border attacks tom seem to have surprised Putin. So what is he doing in response to that? Because who would have ever thought that Ukraine was going to push into Russia exactly.
Speaker 5: I mean we've been using this analogy today of a football game and if you're the offense and you tried going over the line of scrimmage and you're getting nothing and you're getting pounded. Uh So, you know, Ukraine has called an end around no one expected it. They've gone around the outside and got a very very soft, if you will, target in that. You know it was not heavily defensed by Russia because they're just moving arms through that part of Western Russia. So yeah, it's caught them by surprise, it's distracted them. The question is that they pulled some forces out of Ukraine to deal with this, or use other forces in Russi to deal with this situation. Were none of the wiser at this stage.
Speaker 1: Do we have any idea how many Russian force forces are in Ukraine.
Speaker 5: A specific number? No, I think back over a year ago. I think the numbers floated. Then we're three hundred thousand, et cetera, et cetera. But yeah, specifically now a new number I haven't heard anything of late.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what are some of the achievements since they went in? You mentioned the bridge, which I've seen the video of that. Yeah, it's pretty spectacular when you see that kind of thing happen. But what have they done anything, I don't know, really impactful since going in there? Or is it like you said, is it just sort of a statement of here, let's push the ball this way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's more of the latter. You know, for Russian forces, there are ways around getting their munitions to their troops in Ukraine. And again, are they gonna are the Ukrainian forces going to hunker down and you know, and and fight for that land. Probably not. The longer this goes on, there will be a scenario whereby they would be encircled if they don't head back across the border into Ukraine. So I mean, it's good from a morale booster. It is got in the very very short period of time of dealing with you know, some of the logistics going through that part of the region. But as I say, you know, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so the Russian forces will use other routes to get and resupply their troops in Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Interesting tactic to say the least. So we'll be watching it. And then also we just heard today that in the Dnetsk region some people are being told they're telling families to get out of the a town because the Russian troops are they're advancing quickly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. I mean every single day along that long, long border, there are incremental gains by Russian forces, there are no gains by the Ukrainian forces. And depends upon where you are on that six hundred and twenty mile border, whether the Russians are coming today, are they coming next, week or coming next month, and all that.
Speaker 1: Money approved by the US to help Ukraine fight this war is it's not making a difference. It at least it doesn't appear to be. Or is it just because they haven't gotten all the stuff that we're giving them yet.
Speaker 5: Well, again, everybody's pointing to saying, you know, what this particular administration wants is to hold off defeat, if you will, until after November. It sounds very cynical, but that is one way of looking at it from a political point of view. They don't want anything to really change too much until after the election. You don't want a Ukrainian defeat the first week of November. Why that's going to affect you because that was your policy for the past two and a half years.
Speaker 1: That is, in fact, incredibly cynical, Tom, and I hadn't even thought of it that way, and that makes me really sad actually, So all right, thank you so much, Tom, appreciate all the information. We'll talk to you again soon. Good here, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. New rules have gone into effect over the weekend that change how real estate commissions work. At the close of escrow, sellers can now decide whether to pay the buyer's broker anything and if so, how much. Buyers will also have to negotiate how much they're willing to pay the agent representing them. Most listings won't be allowed to reveal that amount. The LAPED has offered a fifty thousand dollars reward for information about a deadly hit and run crash in North Hollywood, Please Say. The man who hit the woman is believed to be in his fifties. He briefly stopped after the crash at Victory Boulevard and Beck Avenue on Friday evening, but then a band in his car and ran off. The woman hit was taken to the hospital, where she later died. The Long Beach Health Department has received a one million dollar grant to reduce Hepatitis B infections.
Speaker 6: The money will help the city enhance existing Hepatitis B services by providing more resources. The project will prioritize communities at higher risk for infection, with a focus on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. The program is aimed at reducing acute Hepatitis B infection and providing more access to virus screening and vaccination. Long Beach is the first city to receive the project grant in the state. Officials say the initiative will help the effort to eliminate viral hepatitis as a public health threat by twenty thirty. Chris Adler KFI.
Speaker 1: News former New York Republican Congressman George Santos is expected to plead guilty to multiple criminal charges. ABC's Iikeja Chiesa's Santos has admitted to lying to voters about his education, his career, and family background, but this federal case is about fraud.
Speaker 2: Santos has insisted he is innocent and had vowed to fight criminal charges against him. Just last week, reaffirming his not guilty plea to twenty three felony charges, including fraud, identity theft, and misuse of campaign funds.
Speaker 1: Santos's trial was set to start in about a month. The hat worn by Harrison Ford in Indiana, Jones and the Temple of Doom has sold for over six hundred thousand dollars at auction. The brown felt Fedora sold for six hundred and thirty thousand dollars in la last week. The stunt double who also wore the hat, died last year, and that hat is from the Stunt Doubles personal collection. A group of twenty teens has smashed windows and ransacked three seven elevens within just minutes. The LAPD says the robberies happened Friday night in Hollywood. The first one happened at Librea at around eight pm. The group took off on bikes, then hit two more seven elevens nearby within just a few minutes. No arrests have been made. Former federal prosecutor Nathan Huckman has a sizeable lead over incumbent George gah Scone in the race for La County's district attorney. A UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll shows forty five percent of voters favor Hawkman, twenty percent favor Gascone. The other thirty five percent of voters say they're still undecided. The election, of course, less than eighty days away. La Mayor Bass is in Chicago to speak at the opening night of the Democratic National Convention. She plans to talk about her relationship with Vice President Harris and how she says Harris has delivered for Angelino's youth and families across the nation. Harris swore Bus into office as mayor in twenty twenty two at six oh fives, Handle on the news, Republicans have released an impeachment report on President Biden, but doesn't mean anything. Bill's going to be talking about that.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to Giordana Miller in Jerusalem. Good morning, Jordana, Good morning Sector.
Speaker 7: Anthony Blincoln is here. He met this morning with the Israeli President. Just wrapped up a meeting with the Israeli Prime Minister, which we see from the readout of the Prime Minister's office, who said it was a positive meeting. And he's going to be talking with his most defense minister tonight. He's here. He says, to really try to get a Gaza seafire over the finish line, and of course, continue to prevent any kind of escalation here. That is, you know, to continue to make sure that Hazbola and Iran do not carry out our reprisal strikes, at least not now while this new push is on for a Gadza seasfire. The bad news is that Hamas put out a statement last night essentially rejecting the revised seafire that the US helped to craft in Dohab Thursday and Friday, So that doesn't really bode well. Let's see if Lincoln can make any head when he meets with Katari and Egyptian officials on the later legs of this trip, to try to see if that's you know, for show or if it's a real hard no.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: Here in Israel, he needs to try to convince the Israeli Prime Minister to perhaps speed up the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Gaza Strip because Nataniel wants to keep some troops along the Egyptian Gaza border and along a corridor that cuts the Gaza Strip in half, basically cutting the northern from the southern half. We'll have to see. There's still a lot of details to be worked out, and you know, I don't think we're gonna I know, the US officials are hoping next week later this week Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday to close the deal in Cairo. I don't think that's possible, but maybe we consume, you know, another round of progress when the CIA chief comes back to the region to lead another summit at the end of the week.
Speaker 8: In Cairo.
Speaker 1: And it's not all that's surprising that Hamas came out with that statement because of what was said last week where they basically said, we're losing faith in the US's power to negotiate this ceasefire.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, Hamas, first of all, I mean that position that somehow they're losing faith in the United States. I mean, Hamas has not shown good faith as one of the negotiating partners for a very long time. And it's ironic, right because Hamas didn't even show up to the round of talks in Doha, and you know, they've not shown flexibility for many months. And it's not all about the United States. They like to put the United States in Israel in one camp as if the United States, you know, always takes is or outside. That is not always, that is not most often the case. And we know that the US has been putting tremendous pressure on the Prime Minister to show more flexibility, uh and trying to get from Nataniell's critics what's really happening inside the government and where nathanielle is. There's a lot of there's not a lot of trust between Nathaniel and the American administration. So but Hamas, you know, Amas was not at the talks. They were looped in later by negotiators and we're gonna have to wait and see what they say, which will take several days because they'll have to go into Gaza and get a response from Yaka Seoir, the leader of who's hiding under the tunnel, you know, in the tunnels underneath Gaza, And it takes several days to go back and forth. So we'll have to see what Hamas's position is in the end.
Speaker 1: Okay and Jordan, are they going to not be at the Egypt talks either or do we know?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we don't know yet.
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 7: We don't know yet, So we're gonna have to wait and see. They haven't said anything either way, but they're going or they're not going. At this point, I'm I'm hoping there, you know, there's still something to report on that they do meet in Kyro later in the week. I hope things don't fall apart before then. There was progress made in Doha last week on Thursday Friday, there's no question about it, but there's still some you know, gaps, and there needs to be movement on both sides to get there. And remember an Attenie still facing the same situation. That is, if he ends the war, he's likely going to be out of power. And so you know, there are a lot of critics here who's saying Antenna is just playing games. He loves to negotiate and keep delaying and delaying and delaying. He did it a lot on the Israeli Telsonian track over the course of his time as Prime Minister. And maybe he's never going to actually find a deal. He's just playing for time until maybe he can some say, Killsinoir the head of Hamas, and do a little more damage. You know, we'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was a little more optimistic at the end of last week about this than the beginning.
Speaker 3: Of this week.
Speaker 1: All right, And then before I let you go, Jordana, I'm going to apologize to you and okay, wake up call people. She never once corrected me. I've been saying your name wrong for a year, so I've recalling you Jordana. And I said, you know, Conna, why don't you ask her if it's Jordana or Jordana because we don't talk before we go on the air, and so I said, ConA, will you ask her? So I apologize.
Speaker 7: It's oh, no worries at all. Really, it's not such a common name and it always gets mispronounced. I don't even pay I almost don't pay attention. Now, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to do my best to do it correctly moving forward. So thank you, Geordana Miller. Appreciate your input and your information. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 7: Okay, meetion.
Speaker 1: Bye, All right, take care, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Charges are expected in LA in connection with the fatal shooting of General Hospital actor Johnny Whacter. He was killed in May by a group trying to steal the catalytic converter from his car. Four people were arrested last week. Wacor's family and friends say they want Da Gascone to push for the strongest possible punishment for the killers. Crenshaw High School in LA's Hyde Park neighborhood may not have enough players on the roster to play football this season.
Speaker 9: A spokesperson for LAUSD says the number of players cleared to participate this year has dipped below the level needed to field a football team. Lae Times reporter Eric Sondheimer says Crenshaw's enrollment has dipped below five hundred, and out of those only about fifteen have joined the football team. Since it opened, Crenshaw has produced more than two dozen NFL players, including LA Chargers linebacker Diane Henley. The school's first game is scheduled for Friday against Fairfax, but as of now, it's unclear if that game will be played. Heather Brooker, Okay, if I news, you know.
Speaker 1: There's a very interesting show that came out of Crenshaw High School. It's called All American and it's based on a guy who went to high school there and then went on to the NFL, Spencer James, and it was it was on the CW. I'm not sure where it is right now, but it was just a really fun, fun show and really interesting and I hope that they can figure out how to keep that football team playing.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: Trouble, the first of four supermoons this year could be seen early this morning. If I step outside right now, you'll probably still see it. A supermoon is when the full and she is a little bit closer to Earth, making it appear slightly bigger and as much as thirty percent brighter in the sky. This is also a rare blue moon, since it's the second full moon of the month. Today's event is the first of four such lunar spectacles this year. September's supermoon will coincide with a partial lunar eclipse. October's will be the year's closest approach, so maybe it'll be the brightest. There will also be a supermoon in November. Vice President Harris and her running mate have hit the campaign trail ahead of the Democratic National Convention. They toured around western Pennsylvania yesterday. Both Harris and former President Trump will be campaigning in the battleground state. Trump is holding a rally today at a manufacturing plant in York County, Pennsylvania. A CHP officer's in critical condition after being hit by a tesla on the five Freeway in New Hall. The officer was trying to push a disabled vehicle out of lanes north of the fourteen interchange when he was hit around three point thirty am yesterday. It apparently happened on a blind curve. The driver of the tesla remained at the scene and is cooperating with the investigation. Ernesto has once again strengthened to a hurricane as it turns toward Canada. The National Hurricane Center says Ernesto is creating life threatening surf and rip current conditions that are going to last for the next few days. The warnings stretched from Florida all the way up to Maine. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown is threatening to sue former President Trump. Bill's going to tell you why. At five point fifty, we're going to be talking with a seventeen year old who's on a journey of more than sixteen hundred miles because his grandmother and her friends are having a hard time making ends meet. Interview you're not going to want to miss. Here's another one you don't want to miss. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. She's got her boots on the ground in Chicago for the Democratic National Convention. So you got back from vacation just in time for the convention.
Speaker 10: Yep, headed straight to Chicago. So we've got lovely weather here. It's nice and cool. There's fifty thousand people that are here, in Chicago just for the convention, five thousand delegates, and you know, it's quite a scene, very different convention than what people were thinking about just a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 8: And I don't think you.
Speaker 10: Can really understand how complicated that is to change the convention so quickly like that.
Speaker 8: The planning for this has been.
Speaker 10: Going on for months, years, and they've had to change the focus to make it not just about Joe Biden anymore, but now about Kamala Harris, Tim Walls, their vision, their agenda, their biography, because really this is a chance for them to continue that introduction and you know, let voters know who they are, what they will do if they're elected in November.
Speaker 1: Which they really need to do, even though there's a lot of momentum on the campaign, but still, like as of a couple weeks ago, like seventy one percent of people in the US said they didn't know who Tim Walls even was.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so this is a big chance for you know, big audience stage to do that type of introduction. And you know, even as you are seeing the polls showing Harris having a significant bump over the last couple of weeks, especially compared to where Joe Biden was just a month ago. You know, there are still you know, polls indicating people don't know what she stands for, what would she do if she were elected. So that's what they would like to focus on this week and lay out that vision for a Harris administration.
Speaker 8: Tonight. It's Joe Biden, though, who's in the spotlight.
Speaker 10: This is his chance to make a speech tonight, and then he leaves Chicago.
Speaker 8: He's not sticking around.
Speaker 1: Well I wouldn't either.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Yeah, he's going on vacation, so he'll be here tonight to you know, talk about his record, what he feels he accomplished over the last three and a half years, but also make a strong case for his vice president and her running mate. And we're told then he's going to hand off the convention to them, and you know.
Speaker 8: It's a passing of the torch.
Speaker 10: But this is certainly a bittersweet night for the president, his family, his close aides, who were really thinking that this was going to be a much different week just a couple of weeks ago for them, and things have obviously changed so dramatically since he dropped.
Speaker 1: Out and Karen having him speak on the first night isn't that kind of a slap in the face. I mean, they've got Clinton and Obama coming up later, They've got Michelle Obama talking later in the week than the President of the United States.
Speaker 10: The Obamas speak tomorrow night, so they get Tuesday night primetime the former president and the former first Lady. But you know, I think that the idea of doing it this way is to really make the rest of the week about the future, the forward looking message, and it's hard to do that if the President is speaking, say on Wednesday, that's also the night that Tim Walls will be speaking, and then of course Kamala Harris speaking on Thursday. So I think by design they really wanted this to be, you know, here's his night. We can make him the centerpiece, like they do want this to be a sendoff, like.
Speaker 8: They want him to get his due.
Speaker 10: He will of course give another big speech in January as a more official farewell speed but this is probably the biggest audience that he's going to have over the next couple months as his presidency winds down.
Speaker 1: Yea, and I heard Senator Amy Klobish are talking about it yesterday and she said there's going to be a whole lot of love in the room for Joe Biden's Yeah, Oka, absolutely, And are they still going to do the role called the nominating role call like they did at the RNC or do they not do that because they held the zoom They.
Speaker 10: Did already do it officially. You know, she is officially the nominee. So they're going to do like a different type of version of that just to involve real people out there. There's really gonna be an emphasis on real American stories to go along with their themes and some of the policy issues that they want to highlight. That all will be in the primetime ten o'clock Eastern time hour, but they will be doing that earlier in the evening.
Speaker 1: Okay. And are Harrison wall Is going to be there to be part of the convention? Are they? So they're not waiting until later the week.
Speaker 8: They'll be there tonight, Okay, good President.
Speaker 10: They're going to be heading to Milwaukee for a rally this week though, and then coming back down to Chicago.
Speaker 8: So chefs get out on the campaign tron a little bit too.
Speaker 1: All right, And you're going to be there all week and I'm sure we'll be talking to you again.
Speaker 8: We'll be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, welcome back from vacation.
Speaker 8: Thanks, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: All right by Karen and also our very own Gary and Shannon are at the Democratic National Convention. They're going to be there all this week, so they're from nine to one right here on KFI. And with Gary and Shannon, you just never know what to expect. I am so looking forward to hearing them because I think they're going to have interesting interviews and insights on the convention. That's all I'll say. But anyway, that's Gary and Shannon all week at the Democratic National Convention. They're on KFI from nine to one every day. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A US Postal Service vehicle has burned down to the frame in Studio City, along with all the mail inside. People who live in the area say they have received a notice from the post office saying that the mail that was supposed to have been delivered last week was irretrievably damaged when the carrier's vehicle caught fire. The mail carrier was not in it at the time.
Speaker 5: In Provoditi, Maxim Kodro Daino Roboti zukma Heu.
Speaker 1: Crates presidents as the goal of his country's military incursion into Russia's Curse region is to create a buffer zone. The cross border military move began about two weeks ago. President Zelenski spoke about the buffer zone yesterday. He had previously said the operation was to protect communities in the bordering Sumi region from constant shelling. A La Nina in the Pacific Ocean is gaining strength, increasing the probability of drought conditions for southern California. Forecasters say there's a sixty six percent chance of La Nina taking hold by this fall and a seventy four percent chance of its sticking around through the winter. If the predictions hold, some states can expect lower than normal precipitation levels through the rainy season. La Nina is opposite of El Nino, which typically leads to a wet winter. Hey, it's Hello Kitty night at Dodger Stadium and the Dodgers are back at Chavezrazi Ravine tonight to take on the Mariners. The first pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports live from the Gaupin Motors Broadcast booth, and you can stream all the games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. Long Beach is the latest city gearing up to remove homeless camps following Governor Gavin Newsom's order. The order was issued about a month ago. Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson says it's time to take action now. Homeless people will be directed to outreach programs, but could also be fined or cited for sleeping in public, and camps will be torn down starting this week. A man from South LA scheduled to be sentenced today for his role in a scheme in which he helped steal at least two point seven million dollars from banks and credit unions. Here's how he did it. He deposited checks stolen from the mail into bank accounts that belong to accomplices recruited through Instagram. The LA Animal Services Department has been left without leadership as it deals with overpopulation that has shelters that almost double their capacity. General manager Stacey Dan's has taken an unexplained two month leave, and the president of the Board of Commissioners resigned after just one meeting with the board. We're minutes away from handle on the news and historic and state championship winning high school football team may not be in action. This wall, this fall right now, let's say good morning too, Elisio Hemenez, Good morning, Elysio, good morning, good morning. Thanks so much for starting your day with us today. Now we got to tell you about Alysio. He is walking from Texas to Washington, d C. And there's a whole reason for it. It's not just for a nice long stroll. Why are you going there? And how long is it going to take you to get there?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going there to raise awareness about fall people security benefits and I should be there in about two to three days. I think i'll be there on Wednesdays in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Awesome, when did you start because you left from Lubbock, Texas. When did you start walking?
Speaker 3: I think it was July tenth, so I've been walking for like forty something days.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And do you walk every single day?
Speaker 7: Yep?
Speaker 3: Sunrise and sunset. How sometimes throughout the.
Speaker 1: Night and sometimes throughout the night. Now, why are you walking at night just because you want to get a little further, or because there's no natural stopping place for you.
Speaker 3: Kind of a little bit of both. I mean I'm walking so far every day. I mean sometimes your sun gets to me, so it's mostly to beat the heat for others. Other than that, it's to get farther off of okay.
Speaker 1: And do you have an Apple watch that's tracking your steps? No?
Speaker 3: Apple, my pone that's been talking to my steps.
Speaker 1: So about how many us?
Speaker 8: Oh sorry, that's okay.
Speaker 1: About how many steps are you doing a day?
Speaker 3: I feel like how many, like a million or I don't know if something like that.
Speaker 1: You're over a million collectively? So far, that's okay. So, Alicio, we got to talk more about this. You said a faulty social security system, but that just knowing that there's a faulty, faulty social security system doesn't inspire somebody to walk sixteen hundred miles. So what inspired you to do this?
Speaker 3: My grandma, honestly, I mean she struggles a lot with her social security benefit. I mean she worked for schools for like years and years and just for her benefits, just not to be in all and for her to put all that money into some security and barely get anything out over the years. It's just horrib us.
Speaker 1: And you and your grandmother's not the only one that you've seen struggling, is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, So who else in your circle of influence is having trouble?
Speaker 3: Watching my neighbors, I mean they struggle a lot. I mean they can even cut their yards, they can't pay for it because I mean, they don't get enough money from security. So I do it for free, and then I cut yards for free just in general with my nonprofit, and I see people that they struggle a lot, honestly.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, Elicio, tell us, then you said you're expected to arrive in DC on Wednesday. You've been walking about a month. Do you have I mean, are you hoping to meet with any lawmakers or you know, what's the endgame on all of this?
Speaker 3: Well, I meet with my congressmen, but I mean they haven't replied to me at all. I've been calling them every day. I've been reaching out to other representatives, but just nothing. I want to talk more about HR eighty two to build about soce of security, and I believe everyone would just benefit, don it.
Speaker 1: HR eighty two. Okay, we'll put that on our radar and I'm surprised that they're not getting back with you, but I hope that you continue to call. Do you have like family and friends trying to call.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, and I'm just trying to get everyone I can to call.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, let's let's get back to your journey for just a minute. What what's the best part of your journey so far? Because you've walked about probably about fifteen hundred miles by now, you got another hundred to go or two hundred to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I said I'll take a million a million steps a man like one hundred thousand. That's why I'm that earlier. I father. Okay, yeah, bothering, it's not correct it I'm always a question though.
Speaker 1: Again the question is what's your What's been the best part of this journey so far?
Speaker 3: I would say either the people or the terrain. There's actually like a lot of nice people out here. And I thought it would just be like just mean people left and right, people kind of run me off the road, But there's just a lot of nice people out here. And also the terrain. I mean, it's so beautiful. There's freaks and rivers and here and just everything I've never seen before because I'm from West Texas and it's just flat, dry and dirty over there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the terrain changes a lot. And are you walking on freeways, highways, city streets or combinations.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like a com a nation of city streets and country roads. Because I mean, are you got like like pulled over, but like a few cops put over and told me that I can't walk on the highway at all. So I've been having trouble with that, So I can't walk on the highways at all.
Speaker 1: Well, they probably want you to be safe. I mean people are driving it eighty minutes an hour. So and do you have you felt unsafe because you're making this journey on your own, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And have you felt unsafer? Do you feel pretty safe out there?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I feel safe all the time, But now there's some times that safe, like throughout the night, like it where it's just me and I'm walking alone in the dark woods on the country road. Always get scared because like I don't know if there's like bigfoot or something, Well.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you won't run into him. So, now that your journey is almost over alicio or at least this part of it, I think that you probably are going to continue in it, maybe in a different way. What can people do to help you?
Speaker 3: Honestly, just reach out to your representative in your district and tell them about me. That's the best thing you could do. Honestly, I really don't need any money. That's just I just need more coverage by politics.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Alicio him and as a seventeen years old walking from Washington, d C. Or Washington walking to Washington, d C. From Lubbock, Texas, a journey of more than sixteen hundred miles, and you're almost there. We wish you good luck, and I hope that you get to talk to some people once you get there, because you know, you're obviously very committed to this, and I think they need to listen to a young man like yourself.
Speaker 3: Thank you, miss all right, Thank.
Speaker 1: You so much, Alicio. I hope you have a great rest of your journey. And I hear your parents are going to come meet you in DC, so I bet it's going to be great to see them too. Thank you, miss all right, take care well, all right, bye, Bell, what an inspiring story. My grandmother's having a hard time, so I'm going to walk sixteen hundred miles to try to help her out. Okay, So what we can do is reach out to representatives and say, hey, Alicio Hamenez is on his way and he's trying to get in touch with you guys, at least meet with him about hr eighty two. Wow. The Democratic National Convention is about to kick off in Chicago. Mayor Brandon Johnson says it's an exciting time for a city.
Speaker 11: Chicago will be at the forefront as we launch this world into a new historic future with electing Vice President Harris and a former social studies teacher, Governor Wallas.
Speaker 1: Harris is set to get her party's nomination for president on Thursday, even though she and Walls did not run a primary campaign. President Biden, whom Harris replaced as the Democrat's presidential candidate, will give the keynote address at the convention tonight. Former President Trump's going to be campaigning as the Democrats hold their convention. ABC's Jacqueline Lee says Trump will be hitting several key states this week.
Speaker 10: Trump is set to barnstorm swing states with stops in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, and Arizona.
Speaker 1: A poll from the British firm Focal data shows Trump trailing Harris in Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Nevada when third parties are factored in. Ernesto has regained hurricane status as the storm heads farther out into the northeastern Atlantic. ABC meteorologists Samara Theodore says Ernesto weakened over the past couple of days, but left a lot of damage in its path.
Speaker 4: Ernesto lashed Bermuda as a Category one hurricane, dumping as much as nine inches of rainfall in the Atlantic island, uprooted trees, glittering roadways. At one point, more than two thirds of households on the island were without power.
Speaker 1: The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Ernesto's maximum sustained wins yesterday. We're seventy five miles per hour, barely Category one hurricane strength but causing swells and dangerous surf along the East Coast and Canada's Atlantic Coast. The storm's expected to get stronger before it becomes a post tropical cyclone tomorrow. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime. Lots of great information on there on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six aas'm. Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.