Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, This is Chandler, and this is Chris, and you're listening to HI. This is Chandelar and this is X to her, and you're listening to X. Watch the podcast. As always, we're here to break down the best and sometimes the most hext moments from our favorite X Men shows and movies. Today's episode is a classic.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're talking about X Men Evolution Season two, episode fifteen, The Hex Factor.
Speaker 1: This is the one where Wanda Maximov aka Scarlett Witch makes her first appearance and basically goes on a tear through Bayville. She's got some serious scores to settle with her dear old dad Magneto.
Speaker 2: Not to mention poor Quicksilver, who's got his hands full trying to deal with his sister's chaotic powers. It's like a sibling rivalry dialed up to eleven with hex bolts.
Speaker 1: Plus who could forget the tension between Wanda and the Brotherhood. It's like throwing gasoline on an already wildfire.
Speaker 2: And animation in this episode totally next level. I mean, Wanda's powers look absolutely unhinged in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: If you love magical meltdowns, this is one for the books. The Scarlet Witch doesn't hold back, and we're here for every explosive second.
Speaker 2: So let's break down the chaos, the drama, and of course, the epic mutant action that makes this episode one of the all time greats.
Speaker 1: Strap in because things are about to get hext.
Speaker 3: Alright, my loves.
Speaker 1: Before we dive back into the chaos that is Wanda Maximov's wild entrance in X Men Evolution, let's take a little trip down memory lane and set the scene for when this episode first aired.
Speaker 2: Yah, we are talking about April four, two thousand and two. Mark that date because that's when the X Factor episode first premiered, and honey, it was a moment. But let's get into what else was happening back then.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two, the air was filled with the sweet sounds of Ashanti's Foolish, which was the top song at the time. I mean, this track was everywhere. If you weren't singing along to it in the car or hearing it on every radio station, were you even living?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and let's not forget about the movie scene. Everyone was lining up to see the Scorpion Kings. And for those who don't know, the Scorpion King is actually part of the Mummy movie franchise, given us all that ancient Egyptian action we didn't know we needed.
Speaker 1: And speaking of the Mummy franchise, here's a fun little crossover fact for all you X Men fans. The voice of Rogue in X Men ninety seven series, leonor' zann also voice Akhwu move no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: It was almost a Scalor's scoute there, but it's actually Ano Suna Moon a.
Speaker 1: Knox the Moon in the Mommy animated series. How cool is that?
Speaker 2: Come on an oxidamun No, no, you don't remember, h God, but we need to have a rewatch. I'm gagged. I love when our fave voice actors pop into other iconic roles. But back to the Scorpion King for a second side note. Two thousand and two was also the year I graduate high school, so shout out to the class of two. We were living for chunky highlights, frosted tips, and all things early two thousands.
Speaker 1: It was a vibe iconic, So while you were prepping for that graduation stage, we all were glued to our TVs catching the latest mutant drama. In Beayville. X Men evolution was in full swing with season two, and the Hex Factor was definitely one of the standout episodes, Oh totally.
Speaker 2: This episode was written by the night by the dynamic duo Sidney Clark and Steve Granitt and Greg Johnson as the head writer, and the character designed in the anime was by the one and only Stephen E.
Speaker 1: Gordon.
Speaker 2: And if his name sounds familiar, it's because we did a whole episode with him episode seventy three X Men Children of the out of number one, where we dived into his work on X Men evolution. So go back into the archives and give it a listen if you haven't already.
Speaker 1: Facts Stephen E. Gordon brought such a unique and stylish look to the series, which really made it stand out, and with the hex Factor, you can see his influence all over the character design, especially with how they brought Wanda Maximov to life on screen for real. I mean, this episode had it all.
Speaker 2: The drama, the epic battles, and the signature X Men angst we love. So let's get into what made this episode such as standout and why Wanda's debut was so everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, buckle up, because we're about to break it all down. Are you ready? X to her. Oh I am already, let's do this, okay. So this episode literally starts off like a scene from horror movie. We get this wide shot of a creepy asylum, totally giving American horror story vibes. Am I right for real?
Speaker 2: The camera zooms in on these big double doors, like welcome to the House of Haunts, Henny. Then it does this like super dramatic tilt up to the top of the building. I was like, okay, work that camera angle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And who do we see through these creepy bars. None other than Professor X rolling in like he owns the place, with an orderly by his side. They look like they're about to spill some serious tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those bars they just sashe away into the walls like we're out of here, Henny. The orderly whips out his key card and I swear he's like, let me just unlock this real quick, and he's got the hottest VIP access in town period.
Speaker 1: The door swings open and the Professor X rolls in, serving calm, cool and collected realness. He's all like, let me just take in this view, while the orderly shuts the door behind him like it's no big deal.
Speaker 2: And then the drama starts. The orderly clicks on his walkie talking and is like bringing the patient totally unbothered, But Honey, when he turns around, there's like twenty more orderlies with nightstick. I was like, girl, what is about to go down?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's about to get real. The head orderly is all, release the patient, but keep those hands locked up, okay, And then we meet miss Wanda Maximov honey strapped up like a straight jacket, giving us the goth queen fantasy iconic.
Speaker 2: But you know, Wanda, she's not here for it. She starts willing out of that jacket like not today, Satan. She gets her hands free and then boom, melts the buckles like they're nothing. She's serving full on scarletwitch energy and the orderlies are literally shook.
Speaker 1: She throws them across the room like their rag dolls, and then she just points at the light fixture like a little flick of the wrists and it explodes. The way she's moving, it's like she's on a mission.
Speaker 2: Yes, she melts them, door, runs down the corridor, and when the three orderlies try to block her, she's like by Felicia and just collapses the entire hallway. It's like she's saying, this is my world and y'all are just living in it.
Speaker 1: And then she makes a bee line straight for Professor X, hand outstretched, like she's about to read him for filth. But then Professor X is like, not so fast, hanning, and goes all telepathic on her. He enters her mind to calm her down.
Speaker 2: Wanda is not having it, though. She's in full meltdown mode, crying in pain and collapsing in the corner. The head orderlies rush in like, Professor, are you okay, and he's all, I'm fine, I'm fine, no big deal. But you know he's filling that shade Wanda just through, right.
Speaker 1: So the professor wheels over to Wanda, trying to give her some fatherly advice, like, Wanda, girl, you've been working on that anger, haven't we? Are they treating you right here? And Wanda's like, get me out of here now, totally done with the whole situation.
Speaker 2: Then Professor X to be all diplomatic, saying there's a spot for you at the institute, but now it's not the best time, okay. But before they can get too deep, the doctor rolls in like, sorry, we gotta cut this session short time for sim MRIs.
Speaker 1: Professor X is all like, all right, wanta just be a good girl and go with the doctor. So she walks off with him, but honey, you can tell she's par ressed. And it gets juicier.
Speaker 2: From here, yes for real. As they head to the security sector, Wanda is not feeling it. She's breathing heavy, and the lights are flickering, and the fire hose literally unravels itself from the wall, like this is some final destination stuff.
Speaker 1: And when they get to the ground floor, everything starts going off. Lights are popping, the walls are cracking. It's a whole mess. The emergency exit doors fly open, and who's waiting outside an old woman with a black sedan, chanting in some mysterious language.
Speaker 2: The vibes are immaculate, honestly. A woman calms Wanda down with just a touch, like serenity now, and then boom, plot twists. The doctor shape shifts into Mystique, who's like, okay, let's get in the car. I've got policies to be yes. Mystique's like, I'll hold the door open for you, sweetie. And as soon as they're in the car. She's back inside the asylum, transforming into security guards. She's got other fish to fry. Girl cut to Bayville High, where the drama is getting started. We get a bird's eye view of the school entrance total establishing shot realness, and then the bell rings. Kurt is struggling with his locker combopoor thing, looking all kinds of frustrated.
Speaker 1: Kitty shows up like, let me help you out, boo, and faces her hand through the locker to grab Kurt's textbook. He's grateful, of course, but then Kitty's like, before you go, try this muffin I made in home act and Kurt's like, uh sure.
Speaker 2: The way he bites into that muffin dead, he's doing like its cardboard and Kitty's all, so well, what do I need to make them better? And Kurt's like, girl, you need something to wash away the taste before running off the class.
Speaker 1: That muffin had him running for his life. But then we shift gears because after school we get some Scott and gene Tea. They're walking out of the school chatting about their love lives, and it's clear they're both low key feeling each other.
Speaker 2: Scott's trying to be smooth, ready to spill his feelings, but before he can even start, Duncan rolls up, honking his horn like an impatient Karen and jeans like ignore him, keep talking, but Scott's all, no, we'll talk later and lets her go with Duncan. Poor Scott always gets interrupted mood.
Speaker 1: So then it's nighttime and we're back at the Brotherhood boarding house. There's a whole thunderstorm brewing, totally sensing setting the scene, and who storms in Misty Cunny making her grand entrance like guess who's bag?
Speaker 2: The boys are shook. Fred drops it's the sandwich. Lance and Todd are looking like they've seen a ghost, and even Pierre Truro's in shock. Todd tries to check if it's really her, and Mystique's like, don't try me, before tossing him across the foyer.
Speaker 1: She reads them too, Phil for trashing her house while she was gone. Fred's all, we're gonna clean it up, and Mistiqu's like, uh huh, and you also need to grow some backbones. Boys. She is not impressed with the Brotherhood's performance.
Speaker 2: She's especially salty they never beaten the X Men, and she totally calls out Lance for trying to join them. Then Tabitha stretched down the stairs like is that Mystique? I hear a girl? Miss Steque was not having it. She clocks her and is like, get out of my room, bam bam.
Speaker 1: And Tabitha is ready to pop off with her energy bombs, so Pietro snatches them out of her hands, passes them to Fred, who then tosses them to Todd. It's a whole hot potato situation. And Todd ends up getting chucked into the living room as the bombs go off, and Tabitha's like, I'm done and heads back upstairs.
Speaker 2: And just when you think Mystique's done with her read she's like, nope, We're gonna beat the X Men and we've got a secret weapon. Enter Wanda Maximov aka Scarlet Witch. She walks in with her head down, looking like she's ready to tear it up.
Speaker 1: Pietro recognizes his sister, and the moment she looks up, it's total chaos. Pipes are bursting, light fixtures are exploding. It's like the whole house is falling apart. A ski blade nearly takes Petro's head, but Wanda is just warming up.
Speaker 2: The boys all run for cover, hiding behind the couch, and Tod's like, is that your ex, bro? And Pietro's like, no, that's my sister. As Wanda marches into a living group, it's clear she's not here for family reunions. She's here for revenge.
Speaker 1: Lance tries to stop her, but his quake powers but Wanda's like cute try and sends the ceiling crashing down on them. Todd makes a move, but she just deflects his attack right back at him. And then the old woman from earlier, Agatha Harkness no Less, calls out to her.
Speaker 2: Agatha does her chant thing, calling Wanda down like a pro. The boys are all left gagged watching as Agatha leads Wanda out of the room. Mistique sall, that was just a taste of what Wanda can do, and Petre's like, why would you break her out if she's this dangerous?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mistiqus like, that's exactly why we need her, sweetie. Agatha is gonna train wanted to focus at Anchor and turn it into something unbeatable. She's got big plans for Wanda, and it's clear she's playing the long game.
Speaker 2: And then before you know it. Tabitha's marching out of the house with her double bag, shouting room's all yours mistake as she leaves, but not before blowing up the bedroom, of course, giving us that final mic drop moment.
Speaker 1: Yes. Meanwhile, over at the Xavier Institute, Scott's just trying to get a drink, but Kurt's hanging upside down, hiding from Kitty and her muffins. They have a little chat and Kurt's desperate not to eat another one of those bricks.
Speaker 2: Kitty rolls in with a fresh batch, and just as Kurt's about to take a bite, Professor X enters from the kitchen and he's like, hey, gather the crew. We're having a meeting in the library, and kurts out of there faster than you could say, teleport.
Speaker 1: That muffin drop. It's so heavy it cracks the tile floor. Kitty's like, want one, Scott, and he backs away like she's offering him a poison apple.
Speaker 2: The meeting in the library gets a real serious though. Professor X spills the tea on Wanda's towards your childhood and how her anger mixed with her mutabilities is a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: Jean's like, what's the source of her anger, and the Professor's all, it's her daddy issues. Mcneedle locked her up years ago, and Rogue suggests that she might have run away, but the Professor's not buying it. He sends his foul play he's right too.
Speaker 2: Someone's got plans to use Wanda against the X men, and that someone is definitely up to no good. But let's talk about the next scene, because it's time for some serious witch training.
Speaker 1: Yes. Cut to the backyard of the Brotherhood house, where Wanda's standing in this ring of green flames serving witch realness. She's panting, clearly freaked out, but Agatha's there telling her to calm down. The flames are like a reflection of her anger, and Agatha's trying to teach her that she's stronger than her rage.
Speaker 2: But then Wanda has another flashback to her childhood and when she screams father, those flames shoot up even higher. Agatha's like, okay, let's cool it down, and with a wave of her hand, the flames are out. She's really showing Wanda who's boss inside.
Speaker 1: Agatha's got this crystal floating between them, trying to get Wanta to focus on happier memories. There's this beautiful, multicolored glow, but Wanda can't help slipping back into her trauma. The crystal drops and Wanda's just done. She breaks down in tears.
Speaker 2: Later, we see Wanda in the bath cutting her hair, total makeover moment. Pietro walks in, trying to compliment her, but Wanda's not here for his flattery. She trolls around and bam, the ca Mira cracks. You know she's holding on to some serious pain.
Speaker 1: Yes, Pietro tries to be all brotherly, saying he didn't want her to go, but he gets no sympathy from Wanda. She's like, monsters don't have a point of view, totally shutting him down. It's clear she sees him as part of the problem.
Speaker 2: She storms out, and Mystique's lurking in the hallway, ready to get Petro on her side, and she's like, whose team are you on? Sweetee and Pierretro, trying to stay neutral, admits that Meannido wasn't much of a father to him either, and Mystique knows she's got him right where she wants him.
Speaker 1: She's got plans to take on Magneto but first she needs to run a little test, and you know, if mystique's planning something, it's gonna be big.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, back at Xavier Institute, we've got Jean and Kurt washed dishes while the others are doing homework. Professor X walks in saying Cerebro's located Wanda and the Brotherhood at the Bayville Galleria, and you know it's about to go down with the mall.
Speaker 1: Evan cracks a joke about the Brotherhood stealing I'm with stupid T shirts and everyone laughs except for the professor, who's like, focus kids. Scott's all, don't worry, We've got this, and they head out ready for whatever's coming.
Speaker 2: They're feeling confident, but little do they know they're about to face Wanda, and she's not playing. When they arrive at the mall, Kitty phases through a glass door, popping her head through to first check that the coast is clear. It's her first trip to the mall without shopping four shoes, and she's bummed.
Speaker 1: Oh. Scott sets up a plan. He, Spike, and Jean will check out the first floor. Well, Rogue, Nightcrawler and Kitty handle the balconies, but things get chaotic really quick.
Speaker 2: Kitty spots a suspicious shadow and charge juice through the wall, only to tackle a mannequin awkward. Then Lance shows up, trying to convince her to leave, saying there's going to be a big fight and he doesn't want her to get hurt.
Speaker 1: But Kitty hears Spikes in trouble and she's out of there, facing through Lance. Meanwhile, in the electronics stores, BLOB's throwing TVs like their paper weights, trying to take out Spike. It's a whole mess.
Speaker 2: Evan gets clever, turning on all the TVs to confuse Blob, then shoots his bone spikes through them, blinding him temporarily. Over in the clothing store, Pietro's messing with Kurt, measuring him up and dressing him in random outfits at super speed. It's given me a fashion disaster.
Speaker 1: Vibe yes her, it's like not today, and teleports out of the pile of clothes, leaving Pietro to stumble into a shoe rack. Meanwhile, Jinge's dealing with Avalanche's rumbling boulders and it's not looking good.
Speaker 2: Cyclops comes to the rescue, blasting the boulders into smaller rocks, but then Coad snatches his visor and Scott's optic blasts go wild. Jean's barely holding it together, trying to save him, but Wanda's about to make things even worse.
Speaker 1: Wanda shows up and with just a flick of her wrists, she's causing chaos. Store signs explode, a piano flies at them, and cyclops blast get redirected into the store. On the second floor, the X Men are scrambling.
Speaker 2: Rogues in a flower bed when it bursts into flames and Scott's blasts are destroying the place. Kitty tries to phase through the floor to surprise Wanda, but she gets stuck halfway and Kurt has to teleport out, landing them upside down in a tree outside major veil.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Jean's telling Scott that they have to retreat because Wanda's too powerful. He doesn't want to give up, but Jean's like, we've lost, let's get out of here. They barely make it out of them all in one piece.
Speaker 2: The Brotherhood is a living for it. Totally Impressed by Wanda's power, Pietro tries to compliment her, but she's like, don't even mention Magneto I'm coming for him. She's on a mission and there is no stopping her.
Speaker 1: The X Men are left licking their wounds and Professor X is there regretting that he didn't train them better. But he's also like, this loss was a lesson. You needed it to grow deep stuff.
Speaker 2: But you know what, this episode has a whole serve from start to finish. Wanda has the moment and the drama was off the charts.
Speaker 1: What a wild ride period. I can't wait to see how this all plays out, because you know things are about to get even messier. Wanda's got revenge on her mind and the X Men are gonna have to step it up if they want to stand a chance for real.
Speaker 2: Next episode is going to be a must watch TV. But for now, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to this. Bill Moore t on the X Men Universe.
Speaker 1: WHOA what just happened?
Speaker 2: Wait a second, We've been doing X Watch this whole time, and that's not our podcast.
Speaker 3: It was Agatha a lot.
Speaker 2: And I killed Sparky. True, she's hexed, of course it was Agatha. I should have known. She couldn't resist causing a little chaos. She's always up to something, but.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that was kind of amazing. X Men Evolution, I'm not even that right.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Agatha, we've got something to look forward to. Her new series, Agatha Along, is currently streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't wait to see what she's up to this time as she goes down the Witches Road. It's been so fun to watch so far, yep.
Speaker 2: And you just know that there's gonna be plenty of intrigue as she tries to figure out why this teen has sought her out in the first place to go down, which is road.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Agathon's been such a standout character and I'm so pumped that she's got her own series. It's been so fun to watch. Mm hmm yep, I agree.
Speaker 2: So everybody tune in to Disney Plus right now it is streaming. It is one of my favorite of the ncus by far. I love a good witch story.
Speaker 1: Yes absolutely, but for now I'm just relieved to be back to our usual selves. Phew. Thanks for sticking with us through that interesting detour everyone, yep.
Speaker 2: And remember, whether it's X Watch or ex reads, We've got your mutant needs covered. See you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye bye, and now it's time for the news on County News News News. Yes, we are here to kind of recap all the stuff that we've been up to and all the stuff that's coming up. But one thing that we did was we did a table of X Men actors at La Comic Con. That's right for the whole weekend.
Speaker 2: We had many castmates including Matthew Waterson the voice of Magneto, leonor Zanne who plays Rogue, Holly Chow is Jubilee here turn.
Speaker 1: Gui Agassini as sun Spot. We had JP Carliac as More, Isaac Robinson Smith as Bishop, and Catherine Disher as Val Cooper slash gen Gray from ninety two.
Speaker 2: Oh and Morla Goa and Donna Landra visited us as well.
Speaker 1: Very special appearance from Morlab.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also got to moderate a panel on the voices of X Men ninety seven. It was with all those actors, it was a blast. I had a great time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I had a lots of fun being a talent handler throughout the weekend. And big shout out shout out to Melanie Bolin, our team lead, who made everything run smoothly and she is amazing and we love her.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Melanie. Thank you, Melanie. Another thing that we got to do is we got to run a book launch event with Lenora Zand for her recent autobiography, Lenora Zan a Rogues Tale.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and you know, she shared stories that she doesn't really share normally, like on the convention circuit, things that were more personal about her life, you know. And there's definitely a lot of backstory behind the scenes of you know, getting the role of Rogue and how she connects with the character.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if you're an X Men fan that is in love with Rogue the character and you want to read about the actress that portrays her, definitely get this book.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely. Of course. Something that recently happened, which we'll get into more in a special episode, was the Uncanny Experience. Oh yeah, yes, Chris and I did it.
Speaker 3: All right, it has been done. It has been done.
Speaker 1: We are planning a full recap episode with guests that were in attendance so that you guys can hear all about what went down at the Uncanny Experience. But in the meantime, it happened and it was a blast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I'm looking forward to the recap episode. I'm trying to think of anything else X Men related happening.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got one.
Speaker 2: This is totally not X Men related, but it's X Men adjacent. It's six degrees of separation here.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So the voice of Gambit is played by A. J. Lacascio. Yes, and he's great. He does like the Gremlins. He's Marty McFly in the video games like Lego. Hanson's like, yeah, he's great. Anyway, he has this thing called the Spoops. Yeah, and it's perfect for Halloween time. He handpaints these cute little figurines and he gave me a reaper and a mummy spoop. So now I'm like creating spoop content online and I'm a spoop a holic. Yes, but I guess the thing is, I am going to be presenting the Spoops to my nieces and nephew on Halloween weekend, and all these little videos that I'm creating, I'm making a little compilation of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I implore you to check out A. J. Lecatio some voice of Gambit, his Spoops. It's instagram at the underscore Spoops.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They're very cute. I really, They're a really fun treat if you love Halloween creatures I do, and you hate horror. I do hate horror, but they're very cute. This is this is cute Halloween.
Speaker 2: This is fun to save children, family friendly Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yes, very Disneyland Halloween. And it's it's it's adorable. So uh, definitely go check out Chris's spoops content because you can tell that he's really passionate about these little things.
Speaker 2: Six Degrees of Separation here x Men podcast listener to wurs. Yes these made by Gambit, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, and as far as news, we have some cool episodes coming up, so you guys stay tuned. Not only do we have the un Kinney recap episode, the writer of the current Storm series with there's one issue that's out already. His name is murawahao La. I'm so sorry about pronouncing it that way, but either way, we are excited to have him on and talk all about Storm number one. Oh I love Storm. Yeah, so we'll be recapping his first issue of the Storm series and it's gonna be a lot of fun. Yeah. Well, in the meantime, everybody's stay tuned, follow us on social media and stay tuned for updates and announcements on the uncann experience.
Speaker 2: X reads is recorded in the United States.
Speaker 1: Our theme music is written by Austin Wintry.
Speaker 2: Please make sure to follow our podcast to be updated on when new episodes appear every first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Speaker 1: Follow us on social media at X reeds podcast, That's the Letter, X ri ads Podcast on Twitter, Instagram, at Facebook.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening by