Speaker 1: Man, old man, that's sharp and clear. That's the absolute finest television set I ever did see.
Speaker 2: Well, now, wait a minute, how you know that that you find television? Said Andy, You ain't even got the thing turned on.
Speaker 3: Don't need to turn this set on. The North SAMs just got the nameplate.
Speaker 2: DBS. Oh CBS. Yeah, that makes the greatest sight unseen.
Speaker 4: Oh CBS, Columbia, makers of America's most advanced radio and television receivers. Present transcribed to Amos and Andy Show, written by Joe Connolly and Bob Moser, featuring Amanda Randolph, Ernestine Wade, Johnny Lee, Amos, Rees, Gus Bays, lud Gluskin's music Yours Truly, Harlow Wilcock, and starring radios all time favorites Gosden and Charles Barrell Amos Hardy.
Speaker 2: The Kingfish and.
Speaker 4: His wife Sapphire and her mother planned on spending a month's vacation in Mama's cottage up in the country. The Kingfish has just been up to look the place over after the winter and has just returned with bad news.
Speaker 5: What dish you say, George, They had a flood of where a cabin is flood?
Speaker 2: I'll say there was. When I got there, the coase guard was draining out the cabin. They had a bills pumped down the chimney.
Speaker 5: Lastly, little charttage in the country.
Speaker 6: Years ago, I spent my honeymoon up there.
Speaker 2: Well, unless you was a romantic barracouter inexactly the idea honeymoon spot. No more, I George, stopped this fooling.
Speaker 5: Is there any danceness in the house.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a little in the living room, a level how much about ten feet?
Speaker 5: But the water done receded well as the floors dried out.
Speaker 2: Now that's hard to tell the honey you see when the flood receded, Uh, it receded the floor with it, that's what happened.
Speaker 5: Well, we ain't got the money to fix it up. I guess we'll just have to give up any thought of a vacation right now.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe we could rent it out to somebody. Oh Doo'm be silly. Only a boob would want a place like that.
Speaker 6: Then you shouldn't have no trouble taste one to no one.
Speaker 5: I was right, George. You know the thing we ought to do is put.
Speaker 3: An avermon to take her.
Speaker 5: Come on, Mama, we'll go in and call him up.
Speaker 2: Trying to runt that flooded cottage. This ain't gonna be easy. It would take a fish to live up there. A fish. They wait a mina. I think I know. It's just the big fat, pooped out porpoise to occupy that aquarium too. Just keep walking and there. The cottage is just over this next nole down in the little valley. Lovely location, and they're situated right between disappointment nose and gutted glen the beautiful.
Speaker 3: About the well lessened Kingfish.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I should be taking the vacation this time of the year.
Speaker 2: Oh look, andre, I worried about you. You spend the whole winter down here in the city breathing this up knocks you there? Well, you mean the air up here is better or serven of theres and in the city of the air is one part hydrogen and two parts carbon. Proxie. There's only one way that you can get pure ad and this and there. And I don't think you want to spend your vacation and no oxygen tent.
Speaker 3: Do you. Well?
Speaker 1: Maybe he was right, Kingfish, but uh tell me something is the water in the lake down.
Speaker 2: There been rising lately riding the wood? Make you say that?
Speaker 1: Well that show looks to me like there was a flood up here.
Speaker 2: Hell the hell he is and right here here we is. Well look at there there is your dream cottage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to uh wait a minute, King Ridge. If the water don't rise around here, how come the houses up in the air on six foot pylons ventilation?
Speaker 2: And there under the horse there they got what you call a breezeway. Now come on and let's climb the steps here and take a look at your beautiful mansion. Boy. Yeah, well okay, now follow me across the porch and then watch the loose boards. Then uh here and there I tell you when you move in, uh uh say and uh uh that's funny. He was here a minute ago and they and the whereas you.
Speaker 1: I was down here in the breezewaite, King Fidg, just ain't no.
Speaker 2: Time to play games. Come on out of there. Yeah, give me your hand here, let's stand on that rock down there. Come on, come on, let's up rant.
Speaker 1: All right there you yeah, holy macro king Fidge, I went right through the porch.
Speaker 2: Well, like any players, the boys need a little tightening up, you know, the more or less go in the door here, door, and these a little tightening too.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's step over the thing down. Uh, let's leave it down the floor now here we all uh look the living room over there and there see there, and nice new floors are put in your.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, king fish, this is all just one big room. How you get fire rooms out of this place?
Speaker 2: Well, like all summer players, and you just draw the curtain. Now you see you doorge the curtain like this, and there you was. On this side of the curtain you got a bedroom, and on the other side you got a nice eight by four living rooms.
Speaker 1: That don't give me much of a living room. Suppose I want to have a big house woman party. I got about thirty or forty friends I'd like to have up. How's I going to entertain them all in that little bitty living room?
Speaker 2: Well, you can stagger the guests. Do you like to do at the airport? Have him circle around outside? Tell you was ready for him to come in and make a landing at the punch bowl?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well all right, tell me something. What is this curtain here?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're having a dinner party and you just pulled this across like this, you see, and there's your dining room.
Speaker 1: But I don't know about this place, Kingfish, with the curtains and everything.
Speaker 2: Now look, and I admit the thing. He's a little fixing up. But you can have the place for the whole summer for just two hundred bucks. What do you say, boy, Well, I ain't bad. Oh, great bargain there.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a deal, Kingfish. I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Fine, And now let's go back to the city and we'll sign the ironbound contract. There. You go ahead, and then we'll follow you on the posh all right behind you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, let's go. Thanks, Kingfish.
Speaker 1: I was gonna uh uh I uh, well, that's funny.
Speaker 3: I thought the Kingfisher was following me. Hey, Cakefish, Cakefish, where is she down here?
Speaker 2: And just stop down to inspect the breeze wave me you hear to break. I'm just glad I got that cottage running down to. Let me get in the department here and tell South far So home got some good news.
Speaker 5: Well, well, I got wonderful news for you today, George. We got an answer to I add and I rented the cottage today to a mister Walter Jackson for one hundred dollars. He's moving in that at night.
Speaker 2: Uh honey, wait a minute, this is the other a mess. I done rented the cottage to end it, and he moving in there late tonight. Oh you ain't, George. Oh this awful.
Speaker 5: Mister Jackson is a very nervous man. He said as soon as he got there, he was gonna go right to bed. Oh I wonder what will happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, but I got idea. There's gonna be more screaming and young enough, dad than the time that Grandma was flapping the hogs and fell into the pig waller. Hello there, this is Freeman Gosden. Tonight's Amos and Andy Show is a little special because it marks the start of our second six months of sponsorship by CBS Columbia. And this is a good time to tell you about something my partner, Charles Carell, and I have talked about a number of times, and it is this. It's really a pleasure to be selling a top notch product like CBS Television sets. The CBS Columbia p people build a truly fine television receiver and we just come right out and tell you so without any ifs, hands or butts. It makes us feel good to know that when you go down to your dealers and see the fine picture on a CBS set, when you hear the three hundred and sixty full fidelity sound, and when you try CBS sweep tuning, you'll discover what we have said about CBS television sets is not exaggerated at all. These CBS sets are exceptional sets, and each one represents solid value. Of course, there's a mighty good reason for it. CBS Columbia is the set manufacturing division of the Columbia Broadcasting System. The greatest name in home entertainment.
Speaker 1: Show is Darkened. Well, I got my night shirt on here in the washing area.
Speaker 2: Too bad.
Speaker 1: I fell down that breezeway and busted my kerosene lamp. Yeah, let me feel my way across the living room here. Hm, kingfish must have pulled all the curtains my heayways he here's the bed. Yeah, let me sit down on the edge of it.
Speaker 3: Oh me as I tired?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I as really exhausted.
Speaker 3: How do you like that? I really must be tired. I ain't asleep, but I have snoring already. Uh, well, let me lay it down, pulled the covers up around me.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, this is one of them short beds. My feet's is sticking out of the bottom.
Speaker 3: Yeah there is.
Speaker 1: There's my foot with the corn plaster on it.
Speaker 7: There's my foot with the busted toe.
Speaker 1: And there's my foot with the sock on it.
Speaker 3: The holy smoke. I must be tired, and I thought I was. From here. It looks like I got three feets.
Speaker 7: I wonder what I'm.
Speaker 1: Yea, and I'm storing again, and I ain't asleep. Wait a minute, there seems to be something here on the next pillar. Oh oh, there's something wrong here, cause I know I ain't got two heads. Oh me, I must be so tired. I haven't hallucinations. And I'm gonna make the final test. I'm gonna reach down here and pinch my foot with the sock on it.
Speaker 3: There, Oh holy.
Speaker 2: I pinched my foot on the other head set out. I'm getting out of here. Wait a minute, who's here in this? Ain't nobody here, mister us all alone? Wait a minute, stop, stop out of my way, Help let me out of here.
Speaker 7: Help help, yah amos.
Speaker 1: And that's the whole story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a terrible thing. And they find another man in your bed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was a mess, Amos.
Speaker 1: He run out the back way and I run out the front way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, how did you get that bunk on your head? Then?
Speaker 1: Oh well that on the way out, I slipped on a dead fish and landed in the breezeway.
Speaker 2: Again, you say that you ain't got no idea who this man was you founding dead?
Speaker 1: No, when the Kingfish running me the place, he didn't say nothing about no other man.
Speaker 2: I'm beginning to see here. You rented the pleaers from the king feesh. Huh. Yeah, did you ever stop to think that the Kingfish might have rented this pleas to one other fellow?
Speaker 1: Well, now, why would the Kingfish want to do that? After all, in the past, ways, all way, he's been buddies. I mean, he never tried to jyp me. I mean he ain't never tried to pull notes.
Speaker 3: Uh, I mean, uh, holy Macrolamos, he's done it again.
Speaker 2: You know, if I was you out, get hold of that king fiece right away and straighten this nonsense out.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, I'm gonna call him up right away. Say, by the way, Amos, could any of your kids use a turtle. I found this in the pocket of my ninety when I got out of the breezeway.
Speaker 2: Now taking these and there ain't no Cenison hollering me on the telephone. Yeah, well the whole thing was a mistake. No, you can't have your money back. I worked the thing. I'll just give me time, man, I knew. Alright, alright, I'll call you back later. Goodbye. Oh me, what a mess. I went to players to end the sapphire to mister Jackson, one of them has gotta go. Uh well, if it ain't now donquin jack Calhoun, Now how the king fish come on in here? What brings you over here? Donquin? No?
Speaker 6: I was over making a political speech in the park.
Speaker 2: Making a political speech. Oh, making a speech, un, I'll say.
Speaker 6: I climbed up on my soapbox and made the greatest speech in my career. I stood on that soap boxing. I said, ladies and gentlemen, a it's the plean governments. We must wash our hands of vice and corruption. The time has come to scrubb away the stigma of briberies, to base our selves and democracy.
Speaker 2: Heath Feedle. Yeah, well did you get many votes? No? But I show sold a out of soap. Well, I got a different problem. Uh gonkhy Look here, I runned a vacation cottage up in the Catskill Mountains and and my wife done run it into a mister Jackson. And last night they both discovered each other up there in the place at the same time.
Speaker 6: Oh that's a nasty business, Kingfish, a nastted business. Somebody got to go.
Speaker 2: Well, now, I'll tell her what I want to do. I want key Band up there because he paying me two hundred dollars. Yeah, he's a two hundred dollars man. But I want to unrun it from Jackson. Of course, he only paying me a hundred dollars. She died there that he's been in halfway.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing to do is, it's the scaredest fellow Jackson out of there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, that's pretty wild country up there, and the cat's skills, and you could make him think it's too dangerous to live up there. Tell him that there's some wild animals or something in the woods.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a great idea, Calhoun. Yeah yeah, tell him the animals. Yeah. I'll tell Andy the truth about this and get him to go up there and help me scared of fellow Jackson. O, yes, well, when it comes to your vacasion, I hope you don't have no trouble like this. Cow Oh, I ain't gonna have no trouble. I've done the.
Speaker 6: Same things ever. Summer whatever Sunday goes out to Cony Island and rides the biggest roller coat today.
Speaker 2: T Yeah, well, don't you get scared on that roller course? The cattle scared.
Speaker 6: Kingfish when it goes down that first stip. I freeze out now, But at time it hits the bottom, I'm blubbering, not a baby.
Speaker 2: The riders over.
Speaker 6: It takes two men's to get me out the car. Oh, kingfish, I has a whippering, blubbering mess. I have to spend three days in bad before I was well enough to go back, and then ride that thing again on the next Sunday.
Speaker 2: Hold that s most cold. If the roller course to make you that sick, why do you keep going on it? And I've got a free path.
Speaker 4: All the crowning glory of any TV set is its sound system. No matter how good a picture you get, you can enjoy a show thoroughly unless the sound is sparkling clear in the field of television sounds. CBS sets stand alone with their famous three hundred and sixty full fidelity sound system, the very same system that has received worldwide acclaim in high five phonographs. As you probably know, three hundred and sixty sound uses two speakers, but let me point out that the number of speakers is by no means the whole story. In the CBS three hundred and sixty system, these two speakers are especially matched and specially designed with deep cones and heavy voice coil magnets. They are powered by a specially designed amplifier that handles a wide range of sound without distortion. These speakers face in opposite directions, so that sound reaches you from all around the whole room plays. There's something else that's mighty important. Not only does the three hundred and sixties system sound better than anything else you've ever heard in television, but you'll be conscious of an improvement in picture quality too.
Speaker 2: And that's not just a.
Speaker 4: Claim, it's a fact proved in a recent psychological test. For a new experience in TV, go on down to your dealers and see and hear a CBS television set. Twenty one inch models start at one hundred and forty nine to ninety five.
Speaker 5: Well, mister Jackson, it was nice of you to phone me, and I'm awfully sorry to hear you had all this trouble.
Speaker 8: Yes, Missus Stevens, I'm phoning you from the hardware store in the village near the cottage.
Speaker 2: After what happened.
Speaker 8: Last night, I came down here to the hardware store and bought myself a con.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sure when my husband gets there tonight he'll fighting the whole thing out.
Speaker 3: Show is dark up here at Thissdell the night and kings.
Speaker 2: Well now and there here's the cottage. Now listen to this. I going in and talked to missus Jackson, like I told you I was gonna do. Now, you know what you're gonna do to help me scare them away? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm gonna hide in the bushes and pull this string with the rozin on her through this big tin can like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good and the good Now that really sound like a mountain lion?
Speaker 3: Alrighty yeah?
Speaker 2: Or that really order skin? Now, get over in the bushes there. And when I gets in the cottage, and I was there for about two three minutes, you make a noise like a mountain lion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, uh, say tell me something. Uh you show we're doing the right thing here. Kingfish couldn't backfire nothing, could it?
Speaker 2: Oh cools not?
Speaker 1: And yeah, well I hope this stringing can don't make no noise like a female mountain lion.
Speaker 3: Because of a male.
Speaker 1: Mountain lion heard the thing and come around. I sure hate to see his expression when he found out I was just a tin can.
Speaker 2: Well, never mind that. And and I'll tell you what you get on over there in the woods. And I going in there, talk to mister Jackson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, I'll be going over there.
Speaker 2: I'll see you. M Jackson got his legs turned on. He must be in all right. I'd better knock on the bias here. I don't want to go through that breezeway again. I shouldn't have too much trouble with this fellow. Yes, yes, what is it? Don't be alarm miss Jackson. I ain't no wild beasts from out of the woods, as only your landlord. Oh you must be, mister Stevens.
Speaker 8: Won't you come in?
Speaker 2: Uh just stopped in to see if you was comfortable up here in this lonely desolate spot.
Speaker 8: Well, I was telling your wife, I had quite an experience last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was this man in my bed.
Speaker 2: You don't mean to tell me, well, uh, you gotta break anywhere. At least you wasn't sharing the covers with a coyote or something like that.
Speaker 8: It was a frightening experience.
Speaker 2: Well, just being such a wild part of the woods, almost anything could happen, you see, Yeah, I tell you good Heavens. What was that that? Oh, that was just one of them man eating ferocious mountain lions to scare Hmm. Sounds like it's.
Speaker 8: Pretty hungry to night doing it doing their mountains lines up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the woods is full of them. Uh. I ran into place last year till a man and woman with eight kid and he took my advice and he counted them every morning before breakfast. In the second week he started coming up shy. Of course, I reduced the rent as the season more on, you see hmm, sound like you're ready for blue plate dinner and they're doing it.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm frightening the grand I'm prepared for something like this, Oh preparing, Yes, After that little episode with that power last night, I went into town and bought myself a gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm glad you you you sa a gun?
Speaker 8: Yeah, London sturdy caliber with a telescopic sight.
Speaker 2: I'll go and get it. I'll fix that mount Yeah. Well, while you gone, I'll go out on the porch and see run scared of mountain lying away mount lying mountain lyon turn up? Who was looking?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: There's a man coming out telling the gun fell a caliber. Remondson, beat it, mount lying beat it? I got my gun. Well it's two late, mister Jackson. There he done gone off in the woods.
Speaker 8: Wait a minute, I see it between the trees.
Speaker 2: Make I can get a shot. Oh you must have uh something wrong with her?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I know I'm nervous, but I could have sworn that mountain line had on.
Speaker 4: A dirt.
Speaker 2: Stephens.
Speaker 8: I don't know what's going on here, but I'm moving out. I want my money back.
Speaker 2: Well I saw it moster. Well, you can move out if you want to, but I ain't giving you your money back. Look are you trying to jyp me here? No? I can't help. But if you scared move it out on your own violation. You can't get no money back from me.
Speaker 8: Uh, what was that, I was just cocking the gun here.
Speaker 6: That was a hundred dollars even, wasn't that much I got, John Stevens, I ain't gonna spend my vacation up there in dismal dalla.
Speaker 2: That's that. Yeah, But we got a honey. Mister Jackson done moved out and after the shooting, and they won't have no part of the players. He demanded his money back.
Speaker 5: Well, I ain't going to no place that's liable to be flooded.
Speaker 2: Now, look, south Fire, look here a couple of days of sunshine and the players will be as dy as to it. They rainy seasons, sof I guarantee you that ain't gonna rain no more.
Speaker 5: Well, all right, George, Oh good, I guarantee you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I I hope you're right, cause we ain't got no money to go no place else. I guess we'll just have to make the best of that cottage. But let me warn you, George, you know what daphness will do to mama's lumbago, and if anything happens to spire this vacation, I'll never forgive you the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning, south Fire. Do your mama still sleeping behind the other curtain. That's so I brung your breakfast into you, had you sleep you first night at good old Dismaldell.
Speaker 5: George all was just looking out the winder here it's raining.
Speaker 2: Oh no, honey, just a little slight spring drizzle we call it.
Speaker 5: Now. Look, George Stevens, you don't think there's gonna be another flood, dude?
Speaker 2: Oh no, honey. Uh you reading the newspaper. The flood season is over. Or we as a good mile from the lake, and anyway, the house is on six foot piling. No water can come in here this time of year.
Speaker 5: Well all right, George, Oh say you.
Speaker 2: Forgot the coffee there. I was waiting for the milker. I'll go out on the porch and seevers come in here. Oh yeah, it's uh holy Mackwell South, I look what's floating in the front door. And what are you doing to that poor old TV set? Trying to wreck it?
Speaker 1: No, sir, I's unrecond is creating the greatest contribution ever.
Speaker 2: Made to the ancient art of tuning in a TV set. Yeah, well that's nice. Annie, tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know the nuisance the way you always had a tune a TV set, all them twiddly little dials with the squinty little numbers, all that bending down and reaching around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, boy, that's gone with my new system.
Speaker 1: The channel numbers is big and easy reading, and they have spread out clean across the front of the set, and under the numbers there's just this one handy little knob. Then when he wants to switch from channel four to channel two, you just.
Speaker 3: Wished that knob across and there you is.
Speaker 2: Ah, where is that?
Speaker 3: You is locked in tune for good?
Speaker 2: That's where you is well? And it is just one thing about this invention of yours. He has already been invented by the CBS Columbia people. They calls it's sweep tuning. You mean to say that CBS Columbia is done? Beat me to the draw.
Speaker 1: They already got this quickest, handiest station selected.
Speaker 2: He Shue has. That's the sweep tuning everybody's been talking about. What's more, you can get sweep tuning in a twenty one inch CBS TV set for only one hundred and forty nine dollars and ninety five cents. Hey, why are you going there?
Speaker 1: And I gotta get them a dealer before he sold out of them.
Speaker 3: CBS sweep tuning cents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait a minute, here, take your whole set along with you. Get yourself a real nice trade in Well, folks would like to say good night for our sponsors, CBS Columbia, manufacturers of America's most advanced radio and television receiver. Thank you and goodnight.
Speaker 3: See you next Sunday.
Speaker 4: They show to be with us at the same time next Sunday for the Emerson Andi Show. Transcribed and directed by Cliff Powell. Tonight's program was brought to you by CBS Columbia Manufacturers are full fidelity television receivers, and for a real treat in TV entertainment, tune in Life with Father, presented every week by CBS Columbia over the CBS Television Network. See your paper for time and station. Now stay tuned for Armist Books, which follows immediately over most of these same radio stations.