Speaker 1: Welcome to the God's I View podcast. I am your host, Trevor. I wanted to get another episode in the books asap so that the most recent episode isn't my random theological screed, which was the last episode. You know, it's just been fun. I've been arguing with my friend. What's better. I think for me, a peak male friendship is somebody I can just argue with about science or theology. I argue with my boss at work about science, and I argue with my seventh day I'd be his friend about religion. It's kind of nice, you know. I feel like Plato or Socrates just out there arguing. Maybe with that all the young young male. Was it Socrates up to some shenanigans? I don't know, but yeah, just just just as nice to just intellectually joust. That's one of the things I'm into for some reason. Anyway, those arguments have been going strong, kind of flushing out what I think about stuff. It's interesting. I've been in communications with an Orthodox church by me, probably the most well known Orthodox priest in the internet space happens to have a church nearby. They've been super nice. You know what it is though, It's just something about I'm attracted to the seriousness of it, but it is kind of shocking for somebody like me, been an atheist nearly my whole life, never really been to church. I mean a few times here or there, you know, somebody's funeral and that's not really a service, or with a friend whose parents said we had to go a couple times as a kid. And then I have a few family members who are more on the evangelical side, so I've been a few times with them, and that's kind of just like going to like a concert. You know, it's not very serious. He can address the same but there's like protocol at an Orthodox church. There's like stuff you got to know, and it's very serious, and it makes me a little uncomfortable. So I don't know if I'll really work up the courage to go. I want to see it, you know, it looks beautiful in the pictures and it's again very serious, which I like, but I'm also afraid of does that make sense anyway? In kind of new format for the show, I think I might play two clips, one more scientific, one more theological, and kind of historical historically interesting in my opinion. But first personal anecdote I'm onto some good stuff at work right now, kind of exploring some really cool hypotheses. I won't get too into it because it's boring and it's not the topics we talk about, but just exploring some interesting side effects of certain types of blood pressure medications, because here's my thought process, right. You can learn a lot about a disease that's somewhat unrelated to the intended treatment effect of different medications just by virtue of what those medications do and how they work. You know, for example, there seems to be like certain blood pressure medications on the surface don't seem related at all, that keep amyloid and tao, the Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. They keep amyloid soluble, which is what you want, and they keep tao insoluble, which is what you want. You want tao in your neurons healthy and normal, and you want amyloid in your CSF healthy and normal. Should those twain? Should those two meet, you know, or whatever the expression is, that's not good. And there are certain blow pressure medications that prevent that from happening, but they're in different drug classes. You know. It's like a drug in this class a drug in that class, a drug in this class. So my thought process was, why not figure out what those drugs have in common? And there is this biological pathway that they all have in common. So to me, it's like, well, clearly that's an interesting biological pathway, you know, and no one's really studied it. And sure enough, I'm looking at like millions of health records. I'm looking at these big observational data sets where like five thousand people have had lumbar punctures and had cerebral spinal fluid pulled out, and I can go look at their meds, and sure enough, the ones taking these certain meds do better. And so it's like, well, if we figure out what that mechanism is, because clearly it's not like a well established thing that they do, you know, because the drugs all do different things, so they have some shared side effect that's beneficial. And so there's two implications there. One is, you know, all other things being equal, if the side effects of two drugs are the same, and it's an older person, especially if someone's genetically predisposed to Alzheimer's, give them the drug that will prevent Alzheimer's, you know, assuming they have hypertension, which most people do so, especially in that agridge. So so that that's pretty exciting. But then the more exciting thing is, well, if we figure out that specific pathway, you know, potentially you could come up with a better you know whatever drug or biomarker, you know something. It's something new for the billions and billions of dollars we've invested into Alzheimer's and come up with zilch. It's very exciting to have a new idea. And of course my grants are all linguishing. They all got good scores, but they're just sitting unpaid. It's an issue anyway. Moving on though, we're going to uh, we're gonna get into some stuff, starting with our friend Trent Horn. Now I've got some I like Trent. It's one of these things, you know, you become an Internet personality all of a sudden, everyone needs to have an opinion about you, right, and apparently I need to have an opinion about this guy. So I think he's very smart. I think he does a really good job articulating his positions. I do think he's kind of inconsistent, and I think one of the ways he's very good is that he can really kind of steamroll you. And he's a quick thinker, but he is fair. I'm not He's not a bully. I'm just saying he can kind of like ba up, bat up, bat up, but up. And as far as theology goes, I mean, it seems pretty cool. I'm not a Catholic, you know, but everything seems pretty cool that he says makes sense. But he wades into politics, and I'm okay with that. I'm okay with waiting into politics. But once you wade into politics, it's like, I don't know, like you can't the things you decide to talk about and not talk about. It's like of telling, you know. And he ownes in on really specific issues. And there's a lot of political issues that are that have religious significance, one of them being war. You know, he doesn't really talk about that as far as I know. One of them being you know, corruption and abuse and secret sexual abuse and all this stuff, right, he doesn't really talk about He he kind of talks about one thing, which is the trans stuff. And that's okay. I think I kind of agree with him, you know, I just I don't the selectivity is kind of odd to me. I don't know, a lot of people don't like him because he's not political enough, so you can't make everybody happy. And you know, I don't really like talking about politics at all for that reason. But I am. I am actually going to wait and this water ever so slightly. And this is more just a personal story than a political opinion. But it will probably turn into a political opinion at some point in the next five minutes. But the culture war trans stuff, you know, doesn't really affect me, you know, like I don't encounter it much. You know, I work with people who have the pronouns in the email or whatever. It's fine. I think it's kind of weird, you know, but you know, trying to be whatever, get along and and no one's making me do it, so that's fine, you know what I mean. That's really my politics. You know. I won't make you do anything. You don't make me do anything. Once people start making me do stuff, it's like, all right, now I have an opinion. Now I'm upset, but you leave me alone. I'll leave you alone. All good. But I had a business. My wife had a business. She had a big warehouse, you know, like five thousand square feet, and then I was running a little business as well. We were roasting coffee and I was also working full time, and like healthcare, I think I've talked on the past episode all the businesses I've started, I forgot to mention that one. You know, that's how many there are. Anyway, So it was roasting coffee, making bottled beverages, and I needed help. So we decided to hire somebody, and so we did like the I don't know indeed or whatever, and someone applied and she did not really interview well, but she seemed nice. You know, I'm a subt dude. If you're nice, I'm a sucker. She seemed kind of sad. You know, she's pretty overweight, you know, just mind so am I you know, I'm getting better, I'm getting there. I'm getting back on track. But uh, anyway, man, if you could have seen me when I was twenty good lord, good lord. Anyway, anyway, that times change, times are changing. Anyway. So she's you know, kind of over which seems depressed. But she seems nice, you know, like she seems kind hearted, you know, kind of has a shorter haircut, but definitely a woman. You know, this is like a youngish woman, twenty two maybe something like that, we hire her. She's working in the warehouse alone, and I come by every once in a while, like in between zoom calls and stuff to do my own thing, like make a delivery or whatever. And so I come in and I noticed that she's falling her eyes out, she's crying. I'm leaving out one detail, which is the day prior I was training her on how to roast coffee. And I said to my friend, who was helping her because he's also a coffee roaster, Hey, why don't you show her how to do this? And she goes, oh, excuse me. I go by they them, and I was like, oh, I never had that experience in real life, you know, I've only ever heard about this. I was excited. I felt like an experience, you know. So I was like, of course, I'm sorry, you know, why don't you show them or whatever? Which is fine because like sometimes I even talk that way anyway, you know, like I think I feel like I've even been corrected as a kid, like anyway, I mean there's situations where the it doesn't make sense like dramatically, you know, but okay, whatever, So I say, sure, no problem. I was kind of caught off guard. I just want everybody to be happy. I'm that guy. You know. If you hate me for that, I'm sorry anyway. But as soon as someone tells me to put the them in my email or him, he man like, dude, that actually kind of upsets me. So I have a lot. It's more about autonomy. That's really my issue anyway. So I say, sure, no problems. So the next day she's they she I'm gonna say, she I all forgot, I'm gonna mess it up. She is crying her eyes out, and I'm like, hey, is everything going okay? She goes, yeah, I just I'm having a really hard time with my boyfriend. He's thinking of breaking up with me because his dad is just devastated that he came out as homosexual. And now I'm really confused because here is a woman, an adult woman, who boyfriend is thinking about breaking up with her because he came out as gay. So kind of my assumption is that he's realized he's gay and wants to break up with this woman to date a man, you know, but I don't know. These are treacherous waters. I'm like, okay, oh, I'm so sorry. She goes, yeah, he's never met me. Oh my god, this is real. You can't make this. I'm devastated that no one was there with me. I tell this story. No one else thinks that's as funny as I do. To me, it's like Seinfeld level, like just peak absurdity. She goes, yeah, he's never met me, but you know, his son told him that he's in a gay relationship. And I'm like, now, I don't understand. Anyway, I'm gonna cut to the chase because I didn't really confront her on the issue. I just said I'm so sorry. But here's what I was able to reverse engineer after the fact. Right, Okay, So here is a father, you know, normal father. His son comes to him and goes, Dad, I'm a gay man. I'm in a gay relationship and I'm gay. And the dad's like what what? He didn't handle it? Well, I can't believe it, like I've you've always been into you know, women. I don't understand. Here's the thing. He's gay because he's in a relationship with a non binary person. Do you understand. So here, when he says he's gay, what he means is he's having Uh, if there's kids in the car, you know, cover the years, this is gonna get biologically anatomical. But he's he's having vaginal sex with a woman, right of vaginal sex in the vagina, and a woman that came that way from the factory, right, Like, this is a born a woman anatomically is still that same, you know, you know, born a girl, still a woman, an adult woman. You know, am I'm making sense? Am I making sense? It's the most typical sexual relationship you can possibly imagine, right, it's an adult male and an adult woman engaging in consensual activities with one another. But because the adult woman identifies as that they them, the son confessed his homosexuality to his father. Upset. I'm like, you got to give me this guy's DAS number so I can just explain. Like, listen, here's what's going on. Your son is very confused. He's really looking to like have an issue, you know, because here's what's really going on, your son, an adult man is having consensual sex with an adult woman. This is what's actually happening right now, you know, Oh my god. Anyway, here's the only reason why am I telling this story. I have no idea why I'm telling this story anyway, But it does have an interesting ending. Our business closed down as it inevitably would, and I treated this individual with the utmost respect and dignity, Thank you very much. I actually kind of felt I don't know, I felt I was confused. I was confused by the situation because I think you could argue I'm not arguing this, so don't send me any emails. This is not me talking. This is a hypothetical person making this argument. You could argue that it isn't necessarily correct or good or even in the person's interest to a firm certain psychological issues. Now I'm not saying that gender identity is a psychological issue, but let's use some other examples that are clearly psychological issues, like anorexia, okay, or multiple personality disorder. Right, if someone comes to you that you you learn they have multiple personality disorders? What what is the right thing to do? Morally, medically? Everything? It is? Okay, Hey, listen, this happens. But we need to deal with this. You know, we need to talk to a professional, and we need to we need to sort of incorporate these personalities. We need to get you back on track. You're one person with one personality, you know, or anorexia, like, hey, we understand you're struggling with this and you feel fat, but you're not. You're actually significantly underweight and you're doing long term damage to your body. So we need to get you some food, right, You would never affirm those things, like imagine, imagine an anorex that came to you and it's like, I feel fat, like I identify as fat. You'd be psychotic to say, yeah, you know what, I support that you are fat. You are fat, amen, sister, you know, and in fact, here's a pill that will further suppress your hunger so that you more closely resemble you know, the way you feel. Because because you feel fat and you're trying to get skinnier, so the right thing to do is affirm you here's a GLP one agonist semaglue tide ozempic and uh yeah, we got to get you scale. You need to lose some weight. You know, it would just be crazy anyway, some people, not me, Absolutely not me. How dare you even insinuate this is what I'm saying because I'm not. But some people out there, bigots might say that about you know, if you're confused, you feel certain way you could say, well, really, the only appropriate thing to do is to kind of coach this person like, well, no, you know that's that's not the case. You know, this is this is how you're born. And you know, it is true that within each gender there is sort of a spectrum, right, there are more masculine and more feminine men. They're even gay men, which is a separate topic. But there is sort of the spectrum. But that spectrum does not transcend anatomy, right, And we would never try to change your physiology or actually change your anatomical structure surgically to to make that happen, unless unless there really is some kind of like sexual dimorphism thing going on. Some people are born with unclear genitalia, you know, so that would be a different thing. But the vast majority that's not the case. Wow, we're really going into it. I wasn't expecting to do this. Why am I doing this? Oh? I think just to finish the story, which is I ran into her recently beautiful adult woman, long hair, you know, wearing female clothes instead of male clothes, saying she and her and me and my boyfriend, you know, like complete just complete resolution, you know what I mean, Just so much happier, so happy, and it's like, well, yeah, it's clearly like you were going through something, you know, and it's sad and you should be comforted. That's why I don't believe in being mean. I see a lot of people who are mean to this group of people. I don't think that's the way to go. I think these people are you know, they're suffering. Now. They can't upset people to hear that, right, So I generally try to avoid the topic. But here we are, here we are. Why am I talking about this? Oh? Just because this is a topic. Trent also like, so I do agree with him. I just think it's weird to only talk about like but here, I just did it. I just did it. Oh am, I'm a hypocrite, you know the you know the this is the line. I've said this before. But the reason I don't go to church is because it's filled with hypocrites. And then the rejoinder is, yes, but there's room for one more. Okay, that will be the segue too. Talking about today's clip, did you guys think the story was funny at least? Like do you see the absurd humor in it? Like the boy crying telling his boomer dad like, Dad, I'm a gay man. And the dad's like, oh, son, why you know, I just wanted a grandson. And what's his name? Oh? Well his name is Tiffany. And and he's like, Tiffany, is that his stay your name? No, no, that's their name. Okay? And uh howl? How old is he? Well? Uh, it's they don't go by he Actually, you know, they were assigned female at birth and they go by they assigned female at birth, you say, and so they've they've had a like a transition surgery. No, no, no, totally you know, biologically female, but identifies it. Okay, Okay, So what you're telling me, son, is you are in a gay relationship with a woman. No, Dad, I'm in a gay relationship with a non binary person. Good Lord, No wonder the boomers. The boomers hate my generation, so confusing. Anyway, today's episode is what is God's Name? Unrelated to what I've been talking about for the last twenty minutes, here we go.
Speaker 2: Did you know that God's name is so sacred that Catholics aren't allowed to say it in certain contexts? So in today's episode, we'll examine the three thousand year old mystery of God's name, when it can and can't be said, and which religious groups still misunderstand God's name and identity today. Now, right off the bat, you should know God's personal name isn't God, just as the President's personal name isn't mister President. The word God comes from an Old German word meaning the invoked one. Now, a believer can use the title God as a kind of name and refer to God in that way, such as in the Liturgy of the Hours when we pray, Oh God, come to my assistance, Oh Lord, make haste to help me. But scripture reveals God's personal name in Exodus chapter three, when it describes Moses encountering God in the burning bush. It says, then Moses said to God, if I come to the people of Israel and say to them, the God of your father's has sent me to you, and they ask me, what is his name, what shall I say to them? God said to Moses, I am who I am, And he said, say this to the people of Israel, I am has sent me to you.
Speaker 1: The Friend. So I think that is kind of interesting, because we had that those two episodes we did on whether or not Jesus claim to be God. So the actual name that's given to Moses by God is I Am. I Am, And so I think that's fascinating. I can't explain why exactly, but to me that is fascinating. He says, what is your name? And the name is Bean, like Bean is what I am. I do notice a lot of like kind of new age collective consciousness. People sort of use this like the Kingdom of Heaven is within you that Jesus talks about, and to kind of say like that we are all a peace of God. And I don't think that's totally wrong, right, because God breathes his breath into dust to make us in the Garden story, so it kind of implies there is something from God in us, and that's reiterated throughout the Bible. When you die, you give up the ghosts and it goes back to God until the resurrection. Now this is a theological hot topic actually what I just said, but believe it there. But I didn't realize that the name Yahweh, which is kind of traditionally thought of as the name of the of God in the Old Testament, might actually come We'll let Trent explain it, but might actually come from the same word. So it could be that God's name really is just I am being itself. Right. It's possible. Now we don't know that for sure, but we'll let's let trin.
Speaker 2: Exwain he ay as I am who I am is aah aa and Hebrew. In verse fifteen, the word rendered i am comes from four consonants rendered yh wh in English.
Speaker 1: So the word that means I am is the word that we what's it called the something a graham yhwh. There's a name for it, but you know there's no vowels, but we think you pronounce it yahweh. It's the name is actually just I am, you know. And it's okay to say names in your language like in English, you know, because I am is Hebrew. You know yhwh ancient Hebrew. But you know it has a different, different name in Greek, you know. Or what? Actually, no, I don't I think yahweh never gets I think it always is just. I don't know. We'll let try and explain. But but the point is, like, you know, we don't say here in America, we don't say at an eye, which means lord. We say lord. You know, we don't say dios we say God, and so I think it is kind of just cool to just say I am, like like that's God's name, you know, like God's name is just the act of being, like just ah, I need a better word for it, you know, because his name, because I am is that's like a statement, that's a I'm sure there's a better literary term for it. Is that a preposition? No, I don't know, but it doesn't. It's not a moniker, like, it's not like sarah, you know. It Actually it means something. And so I think it would be totally acceptable to just think of God's name as I am, which I think is really really cool.
Speaker 2: Most scholars believe this word naa come from the same root haya, which means to be. In John A fifty eight, Jesus uses the divine name to describe himself because he says, truly, truly, I say to you. Before Abraham was I am or in Greek ago ame. In earlier parts of the Old Testament, God's personal name was spoken frequently, but after the Babylonian Captivity, Jewish people became much more hesitant to say God's name for fear of breaking the second commandment, you shall not take the name of the Lord, your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain. The Talmud records a tradition that the high priest only uttered God's name once a year during Yam Kapor, the day of Atonement. When the Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek, the word curios or lord was often used in place of the divine name. By the time of Jesus Ministry, this was a widespread practice, with the Hebrew word for Lord, Adonai, replacing God's name when scripture was read aloud. This became universal practice among Jews after the destruction of the Temple in eighty seventy, and in the medieval period, Jewish scribes added the vowel points for Adonai to yh wh to remind readers to say Adonai and not God's name. Christian scholars, who weren't familiar with this notation, thought the consonants and vowels belong together, so when they translated it into Latin, we would get God's name as yhwh, the vowels ah oh i, leading to the word Yahovah or Jehovah. Though the spelling gets interesting, as you may remember in this scene from Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade where Indy has to step on stones to spell God's name to get to the Holy Grail, Jovah.
Speaker 1: But in the latinow for a bit, Jehovah begins with an eye. Oh, we gotta help the YouTube by answering one question, and we're not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Indian ends up correcting his error and spells Jehovah with an eye because, as is Dad correctly noted, Latin used an eye because the letter J did not exist until the seventeenth.
Speaker 1: I think this is kind of wild that Jehovah is actually not see this is I to me, this makes sense because it's always struck me as odd that God would have a personal name. I mean, he's this incomprehensible, unfathomable force that just brought order out of chaos, and he spoke time and space into existence, and he's got a name like he's got a moniker, he's got a Hebrew moniker that can be translated to English. I mean no, he's like the essence itself. He is the act of being. So I think this is cool, Like I kind of like learning that his name might just be I am. And it's kind of interesting if you read the passage, because it's like Moses is like, what do I call you? And he just goes, I am what I am? You know, I'm God. He doesn't say God, but that's how we would describe what he's saying, right, God is a symbol we would use for like incomprehensible, unlike ineffable, what I means, right, And so he just goes, I am what I am? And then it like almost like just appealing to the fact that there's this little human in front of him looking for like a Matt or a Steve, you know whatever the Hebrew version is of that name, like what you know what, he's just looking for a moniker. He goes, you know what, tell him, tell him I am sent to you, And it just sounds like just some mysterious like timeless ancient power is just like condescending to Moses, like just tell him I'm being itself, you know, like how else how else would you describe it? And I just think it's cool. And then I think it's funny that Jehovah is maybe just like a misinterpretation of Yahweh or yhwh In century before that time, Latin used an I, even for names like Julius Caesar. In fifteen twenty four, Gian Giorgio Trasina proposed an elongated eye to represent jay sounds, though it took a while for his idea to catch on, as can be seen in the first fifteen ninety seven edition of Romeo and Juliet being spelled with an I, and the sixteen eleven edition of the King James Bible spelled Jehovah with an I, but by sixteen twenty nine the KJV rendered Jehovah with a jay as we know it today, but most Bibles in Church history followed the Jewish tradition of not translating God's name and instead used the word Lord or Dominus in Latin. After the Reformation, Protestant scholars attempted to go back to the sources for their biblical studies and believed Jehovah was the correct pronunciation of the divine name. However, by the late eighteen hundred, scholars like Wilhelm Gesenius used archaeology, textual study, and early Christian sources to show the divine name sounded more like Yahweh than Jehovah, and now scholars have settled on Yahweh being closer to the original pronunciation. But in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, one group group was still firmly committed to God's name being pronounced Jehovah, and you can probably guess which group I'm talking about. In eighteen seventy four, Charles Tays Russell, a self described Bible student, taught that several Christian doctrines on hell and the soul were wrong and that Christ had invisibly returned to Earth in eighteen seventy four. By eighteen eighty two, Russell had published Zion's Watchtower, which openly denied the Trinity, saying the incomprehensible doctrine of Trinity was of papal decree, now without any foundation in scripture. Russell's text also frequently refers to the true God as Jehovah, who exists apart from Christ, who is not the one true God but merely a God or an exalted creature. In nineteen thirty one, the organization's president, Joseph Rutherford, changed the group's name to the Jehovah's Witnesses. In order to distinguish them from other competing Bible student groups. According to the Jovah's Witnesses, it is important not only to know but also to use that name. Why because the Bible tells us everyone who calls the name of Jehovah will be saved. But Romans ten thirteen, the verse this author references, does not say everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved. It says everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved, or in Greek, everyone who calls on the name of the courier will be saved. The name Jehovah or any variation of that name like Yahweh, is not found in any New Testament manuscripts, which brings us to one of the oddest features of the Jehovah's Witnesses New World Translation of the Bible. Whenever the word Lord or curios is found in the New Testament, the New World Translation renders it Jehovah, with a few curious exceptions. Look how the New World Translation renders Romans ten. For if you publicly declare with your mouth that Jesus's Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead. You will be saved. For everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved. If the New World translation were consistent, it would render Romans ten nine this way. For if you publicly declare with your mouth that Jesus is Jehovah, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved. But the Jehovah's witnesses translation can't do. I was having a conversation with my friend today about like, the way you translate things there is I'm not one of these people who thinks, like, oh, the Bible has been translated a million different times and it's not reliable. I don't think that at all. I think that's silly. I think that's uh. You know, as far as two thousand year old books for the New Testament go, there is no more reliable document than the New Testament in that category of ancient ancient books. However, the interpretation, the way that certain words are chosen to be translated it it does mean a lot, especially when the same word is translated differently, sometimes even in the same sentence, like that, you know, lord or whatever. The original Greek is is Lord in one spot and Jehovah and another spot? And it's because the translators go, well earlier, this is clearly a title. So let's say Lord, whereas here to name, so let's say Jehovah. But this is sort of this is only implied. You know, this is sort of editorializing. And I had a long conversation because there's probably the most controversial sentence in the Bible for inter denominational debate. Is I got to google the full thing? Do you know what it is? Can you guess? Can you guess? It has to do with Peter? It has to do with Peter. Sorry, I'm just stalling for time. Okay, let's do Matthew sixteen seventeen. Is that it? Yes? Okay, this isn't right though, this is NIV, which should be good. Right. Oh no, no, this is it? This is it? Okay, I was on the wrong passage. Okay, So we're gonna start with Matthew sixteen seventeen. Jesus replied, Simon is just declared. You know that he is who he says he is. Right, So Jesus replies, blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah? For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but but my Father in Heaven. And then Matthew sixteen eighteen, what is this website doing? Okay? And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. So Catholics and Orthodox see this as like a declaration. And the reason is because Peter, or the Greek Petros or the Aramaics, I think it's Kephis means rock. And so oh, there's a little footnote here. What controversial thing does this say? Yeah, oh, it says the Greek word for Peter means rock. So what's interesting is is Peter it was not like Peter is today, right, Like there's not ten Peters in your town. It is. It's a name that literally means rock. So you could read the sentence two other ways. You could read it. And I tell so Jesus is changing his name from Simon, and he goes. I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock or sorry, and on this Peter, I will build my church. It's the same word. This is the point. And so if you call it, you can do it as a moniker in one spot and as an actual object in another spot. But it's the same word. So you could say I, and I tell you that you are Rock, and on this rock I will build my church. Or you can say, and I tell you that you are Peter, and on this Peter, I will build my church. Or you can say, and I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock, I will build my church. And so Catholics and Orthodox understandably see this as like Jesus saying, Peter, I'm giving you the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, and you are forming my church on earth, and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it. And because Catholics and Orthodox can sort of trace their Apostolic secession back to these this group of disciples, they feel like one of them is the church that Jesus established on earth. Every other Christian group feels like, no, that's not right. You know, this is just like an expression or And it's funny because it is the group who like literally, you know, they they care much more deeply about the literal words of the Bible than that would be the claim that the Catholics do, but they say, no, he's talking about Peter's Declaration of Faith, because the sentence prior Peter says you are the Messiah, the son of the Living God, and Jesus says, it's that type of it's that type of thinking, you know, it's that type of thought upon which I will build my church. But I think the more natural reading is blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah. For this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but but my Father in Heaven, and I tell you that you are Peter Rock. And on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. And I will give you, Peter, not some like non descript spiritual energy or like a vibe. I will give you, Peter, the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven. So anyway, so that is like the big that's the big Catholic Protestant Orthodox divide for those who don't know my opinion. My opinion is that it's hard for me to believe that Jesus's church popped up in the sixteenth century, right because clearly Jesus is establishing a church right here in thirty AD in this passage, right, if you take this all literally, he's establishing a church right here in this moment. In those apostles, they go out and they found churches all over the Roman Empire, and the religion spreads, and that church continues today. It didn't go away, right, It's still here. And so there's only two organizations that technically fit that description that went from this moment to today, and that's the Catholic and Orthodox Church, because they have Apostolic secession all the way back to the first Apostles, and they were there, they were the churches during this time, and then the Protestants came, you know, much later in the sixteenth century, I think, and so I think it makes sense like the Catholic Church was doing the wrong thing. I think we all agree, right, a lot of problems, and so they wanted to reform it. That's why it was called the Protestant Reformation. But I think the point is they didn't reform it. They started their own church. So therefore it's not the church that goes back anyway, not that man, is there anyone. I'm not offending tonight. I just think it's interesting, it's cool. It's history. This is where we come from, man, this is where the Western world comes from. A paragraph right here. It's pretty cool, all right. Anyway, back to our cool clip from Drendham. Sorry too that because Jehovah's witnesses deny Jesus is the true God. Oh my God, that whole story just came from the fact that that Jehovah witness translation translates Jehovah inconsistently.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry God, or that he is Jehovah, even though the New Testament identifies Jesus with the god called Yahweh in the Old Testament. In John chapter twelve, John describes how some of the people's unbelief fulfilled the prophecy of the suffering servant in Isaiah fifty three, Lord who has believed our report? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? John twelve forty one then says Isaiah said this because he saw his glory and spoke of him. The pronouns his and him ow too in Greek refer to Jesus, but the incident John is referring to is found in Isaiah chapter six, where Isaiah has a vision of God of Yahweh on his throne. That means John is saying that Jesus is the enthroned God that Isaiah saw, and so Jesus is fully God and fully man. Another non Christian group that makes a mistake about Jehovah are Mormons. In the Book of Mormon, Nephi is an Israelite who emigrates to the Americas and delivers various teachings in a text called Second Nephi. About one third of the text, or thirteen chapters, are direct copying of Isaiah and what appears to be the translation of Isaiah found in the King James Bible, which was published almost two thousand years after Nephi allegedly lived. In the original Hebrew, Isaiah twelve to two says yah or Yahweh is my strength, while Second Phi twenty two to two says Jehovah is my strength, matching the King James version. I'll let you decide if this is because Joseph Smith just wanted his translation to sound like the vernacular of his time, so he chose not to use yah Yahweh as some Mormons claim, or if he just borrowed straight from Isaiah and didn't translate anything as.
Speaker 1: This is like the first version of forgetting to delete your prompt response from chat GPT on your fake essay, Like you have this beautiful essay about you know, the great war, World War One, and then at the end it says, let me know if you'd like a slightly more elaborate approach, maybe with some bullet points highlighting the key events of the war, you leave it in. You know, this is Joseph Smith getting caught, getting caught doing that much much earlier.
Speaker 2: Non Mormon scholars claim in nineteen sixteen, the Mormon Presidency officially taught that quote among the spirit children of Elohem, the firstborn was and is Jehovah or Jesus Christ, to whom all others are juniors. Mormons are correct that Jesus Christ is Jehovah or Yahweh. Where they air is that they do not believe Yahweh is the only divine being. They believe the Hebrew term Elohem, which also means God, refers to a different being than Jehovah. As I noted in my episode on whether Mormons are atheists, Mormonism can best described as a kind of heno theism that recognizes multiple divine beings exist, but only one of them deserves the highest form of worship. In contrast, Christian Monothy the whole.
Speaker 1: Yahweh maybe just meaning to be or being itself or I am. It might kind of clarify some of the confusion about the Trinity. And as a recently religious person, I'm probably not in the position to like dispense the Trinitarian theology. So you know, take this with a grain of salt. But if you think about the Father in Heaven as being this like kind of like formless, just raw being itself, you know, just completely incomprehensible to us, and then Jesus being that same spirit but incarnate in a human body. So it is it is just like truth. It is the essence of true and being and logic. That's so. John describes it as the logos in human form, so fully God yes, fully human yes, and you know, coexistent eternal being. And then the Holy Spirit being like the aspect of being itself that animates humans or at least humans that are have been blessed with the Holy Spirit. I guess I don't know, Man, Trinity stuff gets a little confusing, But I don't know if it were really simple, i'd sort of be suspicious of it. But I don't know. What do you think.
Speaker 2: Gism believes there is only one divine being who exists as three distinct persons, each of whom is worthy of the highest form of worship. That's why the Mormon Book of Abraham describes the Gods plural organizing the world. Whereas genis one to one, says God Eloheim created the world. The verse uses the singular verb barrah to note that only one being engages in this creation, even though Eloheim has plural elements to it, similar to the plural of majesty given to ancient kings who would speak of themselves with plural pronouns, also known as the royal wei. This whole area is technically closed while we're trimming we candy tree department.
Speaker 1: See, there is a reason I brought up pronouns earlier. It was all an elaborate segue to this video. Oh gosh, no, we have an air conditioning commercial. Guys. I'm excited to report. I haven't talked about this on this show, but I've been building. Fuck, I've been building. What I've been telling my wife is an office for her. It's really actually beautiful. It's just like kit building. It's an outbuilding and we live on a hill and there's retaining walls. So I had to dig this insane trench to get power and internet out there. But I did it because I just want my wife to keep loving me. And this is what I've found. This is this is a little bit of advice for the young men out there. If you would like to be with a woman that's out of your leak like I am, you should try to be like incredibly useful. I've determined that this is a big thing for women. I didn't I didn't know this, so I just became useful by accident. But if you could be like incredibly useful, which can take many different forms, you know, can this can manifest itself in many different arenas. But if you can figure out a way to be of use, it's quite quite helpful. So anyway, built a office for her. But I think you know what I think it's it's this air conditioned, is dark, it's got cool art on the wall. It's very it's very it's got the vibes. You know. Sure would be a good little recording studio for a YouTube channel, you know, what I mean. You know what I mean. I can't do YouTube right now because I got this lame little MacBook camera and it's a mess. I'm sitting like in a nook off my kitchen right now. You'd be able to see my dishes stacked up behind me, so would not work. But but the little outbuilding that I told my wife is her office is looking pretty good. I can see it out my window right now. Podcast Studio Alpha is calling my name anyway. Sorry, that segue or that little way of killing time. All the commercial plade was unnecessarily long. Here we go, just meet today, So you just meant like the royally. Yep, that's right.
Speaker 2: However, the division of Eloheim and Yahweh into separate beings does not explain how the Hebrew Bible treats them as being interchangeable. This includes Exous twenty verse two, which says I am Yahweh your eloheka a form of Elohem, and Deuteronomy four thirty five, which says yahwehj Elohim or Yahweh is Elohim. Now, it is true that early in Biblical history, the term Yahweh referred to the God who rescued as people from Egypt, while El or Elohim referred to the supreme deity of the Canaanites. So in that sense they were considered separate beings. But eventually God's people recognize that these different names referred to the same being, the one supreme creator of all things. What the Canaanites called El, the Israelites knew is Yahweh. In fact, the name Israel means El rules. This is like when Saint Paul said the God he preached was what the Athenians called the unknown God. It also helps explain how Christians can say Muslims worship God even though Muslims don't completely understand God. According to Old Testaments scholar Mark Smith, although the Bible fiercely criticizes other pagan deities like ball Quote, there are no biblical polemics against El. At an early point, Israelite tradition identified L with Yahweh, or presupposed this equation. In his book, Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan, writes, it is interesting that the Old Testament has no qualms in equating Yahweh with L, something which stands in market contrast to its vehement opposition to ball Let alone the equation of Yahweh with ball This must reflect a favorable judgment on L's characteristic attributes as supreme deity, creator, God, and one possessed of wisdom. L was deemed wholly fit to be equated with Yahweh. Day goes on to say that Yahweh was not a Canaanite deity, but was introduced to the land of Canaan and originally came from the region of Media, which corresponds to Moses learning God's name in Media, since he fled there after killing the Egyptian. So to summarize, in scripture, words like Elohem refer to God. But the name God revealed to Moses sounded more like Yahweh than Jehovah, which was the result of misunderstanding medieval Hebrew renderings of the divine name. But in knowing God's name, we also have a sacred responsibility to treat that name with the utmost respect. The Catechism says this, among all the words of revelation, there is one which is unique, the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him. He reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. The Lord's name is holy for this reason, man must not abuse it. Catholics aren't always prohibited from referring to God as Yahweh. Since I've said God's name numerous times in this video and nothing bad has happened. Hilarious, I'm kidding, I'm kidding. But the Church has sought to preserve the reverence of the divine name when it's used in the liturgy, and to maintain continuity with the tradition of how it is treated in that context. In two thousand and eight, the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship gave an instruction for how the name of God should be used in the public worship of God. It recounted how Christian Biblical tradition, going all the way through the contemporary Latin Vulgate, did not translate the divine name, but rendered it some equival of the word Lord. The letter says this practice was related to remaining faithful to the Church's tradition from the beginning that the sacred tetragrammaton was never pronounced in the Christian context.
Speaker 1: Tetragrammaton. That's what I was trying to remember tetra for grammaton tetra grammaton next.
Speaker 2: Nor translated into any of the languages into which the Bible was translated. The congregation then said, in liturgical celebrations, in songs and prayers, the name of God in the form of the tetragramraton yhwh is neither to be used or pronounced. It then instructs it alternatives like God or Lord be used instead. Now it's important to remember that it's not intrinsically wrong to utter God's name. God never said his name can't be uttered, only that it can't be uttered in vain. Moreover, a person can utter the name Lord in vain if their heart is set on doing that. But the people of God can develop customs to encourage holy behavior, and one of those customs was to not treat God's personal name like any other name we might proclaim in the contexts of the literary Other commentaries have noticed what is.
Speaker 1: Happening, All right, I think that's good. I was going to play another clip, but I'm kind of tired. I told too many stories tonight. Hopefully I didn't offend everyone. You know, it's funny, sane pro Catholic stuff. I will say, I'm kind of more attracted to Orthodoxy because I think the pope thing is a little weird, and I think celibate priests is a little bit weird. And both churches have an equal apostolic claim. So one of them is the church that Jesus established. I think. I think that's pretty clear. Obviously, you know, half the Christian world disagrees, but it seems like one of them is probably the true Church that Jesus established. But I will I will say nothing pisss off. I've learned. This is new to me. I'm learning this in real time. Nothing upsets Christians more than you being Catholic, because I'm not Catholic. I'm not. But I have been talking to my friend, and I've been an atheist the whole time I've been friends with him. He's a convicted Seventh day Adventist, which is technically a Protestant, although he doesn't really identify that way. Anyone anyone in rebellion to the one true Roman Church. The Catholics would say is in protest and therefore as a Protestant, but he doesn't see that way anyway. He's been an Adventist I've been an atheist the whole time we've known each other, and then I've I've I've changed changed my ways. He's very supportive, but now I'm starting to talk to him about Catholic and Orthodox stuff, and he's so mad. He is so mad at me. He's way madder at me for that than he ever was about may be an atheist. So it is just kind of funny. I don't know, what do I know? You know, a year from now, I might be singing a different tune. But we'll see. I just to me, it seems like the natural reading. But anyway, we'll leave it there. But so hopefully I haven't alienated you all. I'm convinced there's probably only five people in the world who could listen to the show and actually not be offended by something. So if you're not offended, give yourself a pat on the back. That's very impressive. You're a resilient, open minded spirit. All right, everybody. Hopefully soon I'll be podcasting from the studio. Oh, it looks good out there. It's got his own air conditioning and heater. I could crank it down to sixty very exciting fast internet Ethernet all the way out there, could happen, could be doing YouTube soon. I have to clean up my act a little bit. If you can see my face, I have to be a little bit nicer. Last disclaimer, sorry to be annoying. I hope this isn't annoying, but I you know, the trans stuff is very controversial. I don't know, man, I don't know. I'm not a hater. I think I kind of shared. You probably can guess kind of my sense of things, but you know, I'm not a hater. It's a relatively new phenomenon. Can we admit that, at least at the scale that it's at. And technically, if you really really wanted to confuse a person who is very supportive of like medically and surgically transitioning people, I think you could say that they are and this is I think is true. They're actually potentially systematically performing a genocide against homosexual individuals. And the reason is, what little evidence there is on this topic is that most people who experience gender dys for you as a child, will grow into a gay adult. And so if you, if you were to systematically affirm these impulses and children, you would technically eradicate eradicate homosexuality. So what you say is, are you trying to give those Republicans what they want? Is that what you're trying to do? Monster? I love arguments like that that kind of give you a new perspective on things. I don't know why I brought this up. I shouldn't have anyway. Email me, tell me where I've gone wrong. Send your hate mail directly to me. I I enjoy it. I'll take it seriously. I'll read it. I'll respond, I'll say sorry, it's okay, go ahead, talk to you later. Stay safe out there. God bless