Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Before we do get started, I want to encourage you, if you've not already, to pick up your copy of Slime Incorporated.
Speaker 2: It's my first detective.
Speaker 1: Novel and it mixes elements of classical detective fiction with a modern style. It's available as an audiobook through audible dot com where the iTunes stores. You can also pick it up as a paperback or an ebook. We have some great overall reviews on Amazon, so I think you will enjoy that.
Speaker 2: But now it's.
Speaker 1: Time for today's episode of the Adventures of Philip Marlow. The original air date May thirtieth of nineteen fifty and the title is The Bedside.
Speaker 3: Manners, Get This and Get It Straight. Crime is a sucker's road, and those who travel and wind up in the gut of the prison of the grave there's no other end. But they never learn.
Speaker 4: From the pen of Raimond Chandler, outstanding author of crime fiction, comes his most famous character in the Adventures of Philip marlow Now with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe, we bring you tonight's exciting story the bedside manners.
Speaker 3: In your head and hit the streets. I had Tommy, okay, kid, he thanks, have it easy now, sure.
Speaker 5: Can't go.
Speaker 6: Somebody give it a be Okay, just take it easy.
Speaker 3: Now. That's the way it happened two weeks ago, and they scraped me up off the pavement. I felt like everything must have been broken. God. Finally the doctor boiled it all down or A fractured tibia and the sordid bruises leaded me ten days in the hospital, tangled up with enough pulleys, weights and trapeze bars to rig a circus tent, after which I managed to get sprung with the peace and quiet of my own apartment. There on a special bed in my living room, I spent four days scratching my broken leg through an inch of plastic cast while I worried about the business I was missing, until finally Ordine Patterson, a girl with a multimillion dollar estate i'd worked for once, insisted on seeing me immediately about a job. Once she was sure I could handle even flat on my back.
Speaker 7: Phil, it's about my brother.
Speaker 3: Another jam huh, yes, Wait a minute, I gotta get comforted. I guess your father knew his son pretty well when he left. He left all that dough and your hands are being.
Speaker 8: Yes, only this time, I sincerely believe Mayna has learned this lesson.
Speaker 9: Phil.
Speaker 8: He's worried, sick and frankly, so am I?
Speaker 3: So am I if I can straighten this leg out? Well, if you think I can help in this condition, it can't be too serious. Hey, before you sit down and reach me cigarette, will you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, sure, Phil? Here it is thanks Phil.
Speaker 8: Last Saturday night, Maynard went out on a binge. He got home at four o'clock in the morning, awfully intoxicated.
Speaker 3: No, it's not unusual for Mayna, is it. No?
Speaker 8: Except this time he was frightened, Phil, scared stiff. Well, that's just the point. We don't know. He was so drunky he couldn't remember anything, didn't know where he'd been.
Speaker 3: Or with whom Phil.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 3: It was terrible. This was last Saturday. Why you're so worried? And it happened surely by now you'd have heard.
Speaker 8: But something did happen, Phil. This morning I got a phone call from a man who meant business.
Speaker 5: Believe me.
Speaker 8: I made notes on a memo pad while he took so I wouldn't forget any of it. Here, Dad, here, here read it.
Speaker 3: No, this is fish Fish, Yes, tell maned fifty gees important money by tomorrow or trouble.
Speaker 8: Then he hung up on me, Phil.
Speaker 3: Fish did you have Mane ever hear him before?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 8: I certainly didn't. And when I asked Maynard he didn't know him either. He had a oh a cold, heavy voice and spoke with a thick list.
Speaker 3: You want me to pick this fish for him?
Speaker 7: Yes, so I'll know why Maynard? Oh was that much money?
Speaker 3: And now, look, baby, I'm bed ridden. I'm stuck. I can't even move that.
Speaker 7: I know that, Peel.
Speaker 8: But you have the phone here, a lot of contacts and plenty of diplomacy. If this is something I can get made it out of by paying that money, then I'll pay.
Speaker 3: Okay, baby, I'll try. But look, if it's outside the law, turn.
Speaker 7: May it in. Yes, yes, I'm aware of that.
Speaker 3: All right? Where do I start? Where did he start? Saturday?
Speaker 8: At the Colony Club with a female named Feofman. Well, whatever happened must have been done there. That's why I thought of you feel. You know the Colony Club, Well, I.
Speaker 3: Know the Scotch's Johnny Walker and sid Ray Feels the owner of that song.
Speaker 7: That may be enough. Will you want to talk to.
Speaker 3: Me in it? Yeah? Yeah, send him over in about now.
Speaker 8: Yes, he'll be here. And that alphin girl's number is Sunset oh one four four.
Speaker 3: O one four four okay, Ordeine, I'll get him at least my dial finger isn't Hello, what fish?
Speaker 11: I know my pigeons with you now?
Speaker 2: I followed her.
Speaker 11: Don't clip her wings? Well back out now where you still can't.
Speaker 2: I'm wanting you.
Speaker 7: Still? Who who was that you? You look upset?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well my uh my horse just ran fourth. Look you better run along now or dean okay, and stay out of the dark corners, huh. In spite of my sitting duck position, and I told myself that a private detective who listens to warnings today is out of business tomorrow. So I put in a call for sid Rayhaield at the Colony Club. Sid was out, so I left a message for him to get in touch with me. Next, I tried fay Altman, but the Sunset number went unanswered. After that, I started checking for the next best thing to legs. I could think of a guy named Hunger Molloy by profession, or robing bookie by appearance of slouch and threadbare hounds tooth propped against any convenient lamp post. Hunger, by some peculiar instinct, either knew I could find out about anything, especially slightly illegal, and because I'd once brought him out of a tight spot, he loved me like a brother. I finally located him in a pool hall on Melrose and told him what I needed to know. He promised it was as good as done and was off to the canning club and I would hear from him. Well. That left me with nothing to do but scratch my cast again, worry about my gun being in the desk drawer and my office, think about fish and wait. Things went like that for forty five five minutes, and then come in. Who is it? Who's there?
Speaker 5: Why it's me Hunger.
Speaker 7: Oh, what's the matter, Philip, you're jumping?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm real glad to see you, fella.
Speaker 9: Likewise, I have fear under the weather has it.
Speaker 3: No, it's bothering me a little. Look I brang you some flowers. Oh, hunger, you shouldn't be I know.
Speaker 10: I tried to get long stems, but then plants in the parking dunes the good this year? Hey, listen, are you sure you gave me the right dope on the phone, Philip?
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, I'm sure. Why what'd you find out?
Speaker 9: That's just it?
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 10: I went to the Colney Club and got talking around, but not one thing worth medicine went on there Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Well maybe it started there and moved out, huh.
Speaker 9: I tried that.
Speaker 10: Some of the customers went out to the valley after the shoot, little dice. Now the bunch moved on to that big John on Adams with some poker.
Speaker 3: That's all gambling could be a gambling set up. Were they big games?
Speaker 10: No, just the usual, nothing extra at all, And especially I couldn't been down a thing on any fifty.
Speaker 3: J's changing hands are a positive? Hunger.
Speaker 10: Well, you don't ask too many questions in that league, Philip, But I'm pretty sure nobody got rich, right I heard you know?
Speaker 9: I got a hint at least.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, look what about this guy named Fish? Blank.
Speaker 10: Some new faces in town, but no high rollers. Answering to fish in the background. Yeah, some pick and shovel clean in a nice way. Been digging nuggets here in there for a year or so. The latest is the gill Edge punk. You want to know about Maynard Patterson? Can I have one of these?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, feed your face.
Speaker 10: Incidentally, they was among those president of the county Saturday nine if that means something to you.
Speaker 3: And that's about it, Philip, Okay, Hunger, thanks amitting.
Speaker 10: Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I think you're getting a bump pitch Well, visitors, how you I got a back way out of here, It won't.
Speaker 3: Look such a sure, sure bedroom, Hunky, you can go out the window and down the fire escape. Wait a minute, is that new shirt? No?
Speaker 10: I come into a bit of clink, so I had it washed.
Speaker 9: I hope you feel a better, Philippo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, Come in, Ordine, you wanted to see me.
Speaker 9: Mister mollow, sorry about your leg.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry about it. Tool, I can't get comfortable. Heyy I hear you really tied one on the other night.
Speaker 9: I kid you have it, but I'm through mister motow.
Speaker 3: I swear yeah, sure, so thanks. What about the gambling loves your head over that too?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I guess I do, far as my allowance goes.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Now, allow Look, I want you to tell me or you remember about Saturday night.
Speaker 9: Well, I I went to the Colony Club with Faye. That's my girl.
Speaker 3: By the way, how do you write stuff like Fay on your allowance? Just to get then that skipper skipp it go ahead?
Speaker 9: While I was drinking quite a bit. By one o'clock, I guess I was pretty fuzzy. I lost face someplace. Then I went outside for some air, and from there on it's just a blank.
Speaker 3: Well. Now, look, if you didn't pass out cold, you're bound to have some flashes you can remember. I want it all.
Speaker 9: Well, I do remember a couple of things, mister Montague. The more like a dream than anything else. I seem to remember a big, old fashioned house. It was dark and gloomy, with high ceilings and old ornate brass chandeliers. I don't know how I got there or what I was doing.
Speaker 3: Were you alone?
Speaker 9: Well, I don't think so. I've got a man's face in my mind, a flabby guy in a silk shirt. He had big hands, freckled on the backs of him, who was kind of a reddish hair on him. I remember him against something green?
Speaker 3: Did he lisp?
Speaker 9: I can't even remember, and just thinking about him gives me the willies. But I don't know why. I can't figure out why. I talked to face. She waited for me until the colony closed, and then she went home. She was pretty mad about it.
Speaker 3: Are you sure that's all you can remember? Yep?
Speaker 9: That's everything. How does it make any sense at all?
Speaker 3: Not much? Sounds like you could have been mixed up a poker game at a green top table and an old dump on Adam has lost your shirt to a fat guy named Fish.
Speaker 9: You think that's all there is doing her?
Speaker 3: Well, not quite all. There's the little matter of fifty thousand bucks you ow.
Speaker 9: Him fifty thousand. Look, mister Mollowey, if you and Ordine get me out of this mess, I swear I'll straighten up. I'll never get into trouble again.
Speaker 3: Honest, sonny boy. What you do later is your sister's headaches. Strictly. I got trouble enough lining things up, so you can get off the hook. I go on home and stay there like collya.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, mister Molowike, I know you don't like me, but well thanks.
Speaker 3: Anyhow, fifty thousand bucks. Oh yeah, sun said old one. Or for I have to put cast on so tight. Hello, Fay, my name is Phil Mallow. I've been trying to reach you for two hours.
Speaker 7: Maybe you need longer arms.
Speaker 3: Mister mom, just some conversation about Manard Pattison. I'm in my apartment number two, ten Granad Arms on Franklin. Can you come over?
Speaker 12: Why would I want to talk about Maynard to you in the first place, and why don't you come over here in the second?
Speaker 3: In the first place, I'm a private detective. In the second I got a busted leg. How about it? It's important.
Speaker 7: Well, I've never dated a private detective with a broken leg. Before it sounds dressing. I'm around the corner on Bronson. I'll be right there.
Speaker 3: Good out, goodbye, Faye, come on in well, sid Rayphiel in person yet.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the boys at the club told me about your urgent call peepers, so I came right out.
Speaker 3: Well, if i'd known you were coming out of make the snakes, let's get the cracks. I know what you want. Well, then you're clairvoyant. Because I'm not sure myself yet. Try this.
Speaker 13: You're working for Udine Patterson like you did once before? Because the punk brother hers isn't a bad jam with one mister Fish, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's quite neat, quite neat. You happen to know the guy?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well I happen to know the guy. That's why I'm here to tip you, because you're a friend of mine more or less. So I say, leave it alone, my get out of it, stay out.
Speaker 3: It's none of your business. You know, you talk like a man with a personal angle. What I ort to split your lip for that? I come here to do your turn it easy. Mind your bedside man has said I'm an invalid.
Speaker 13: You'll be worse than that if you don't back out of this. I'm telling you this guy Fish is too hot to handle mylow and you better?
Speaker 3: Who's that? How should I know? For a sick room? Is joints becoming more like Hollywood and Fine by the minute?
Speaker 13: I took a long chance coming here. I got to get out without being seen.
Speaker 3: Well, try the bedroom window and fire escape. Everybody else does. Don't let them until I'm gone.
Speaker 5: You hear it ain't healthy?
Speaker 3: Said said?
Speaker 5: What is it? Sid?
Speaker 3: Oh this stinking leg it's going, mister fish, I suppose that makes me.
Speaker 5: From the restaurant.
Speaker 7: Are you all right and mellow?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, it's the I'm okay, I'm fine.
Speaker 8: Really, I thought you was talking to somebody.
Speaker 3: No, no, I was reading. I didn't hear the buzzer.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I get real carried away myself. Look, I fixed up your dinner everything, just like you're ordered here.
Speaker 3: No, missie, I don't think I'll eat right now. I just put the tray down and beat it. Huh like a good girl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but what about the dishes?
Speaker 3: Oh get him in the morning. Will you get out of here while.
Speaker 2: You go on?
Speaker 5: Yee, we're okay, good night, mister.
Speaker 3: Okay fish, the girl's gone. Oh come on in? Did you hear me? I said, come on in. I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
Speaker 4: In just a moment the second act of Philip Marlowe. But first, this Wednesday Night, CBS brings you the premiere of a bright new musical show, The ABC's of Music, starring Robert Q. Lewis and Ralph Flanagan's orchestra. It promises a half hour of top Hits and Top Entertainment every Wednesday on CBS, when also you hear the hilarious Groucho Marx, squiz show, You Bet Your Life and the drama of Doctor Christian. The ABC's of Music, Graucho Marx and Doctor Christian come every Wednesday and most of these same CBS stations.
Speaker 3: Now with our.
Speaker 4: Star Gerald Moore, the second act of Philip Marlowe, and Tonight's story The Bedside Manners.
Speaker 3: The man is never ready to die. Really, sometimes saying you helps, sometimes, like when you're flat on your back waiting for a killer with a silencer might step into view through your bedroom door. I kept on waiting for sixty seconds each as long as a fall down an empty well. Once I thought I heard the window close, at least another five minutes went by, and I actually began to believe that for some reason, Fish had gone away, and it made the scoreboard really easy to read. Sid Rayfiel, a guy who knew his way around, had been killed and I hadn't been able to do a thing about it. It was time for called a homicide. But even as I reached for the phone, it went off Hello. I said, hello, last morning, Oh you got the phone fast, But still, what's on your slippery mind? Fish, something to.
Speaker 9: Pay attention to?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 9: See, Molly, you're only still alive.
Speaker 2: Because that's convenient me.
Speaker 3: Too bad you didn't feel that way about sid rayphield Ray if you.
Speaker 5: Got what he deserved.
Speaker 2: So will you?
Speaker 9: Like I said, you're only still a life because that's convenient to me.
Speaker 11: You're happen to be working for the lady who.
Speaker 3: Holds the purse strings go on.
Speaker 11: Therefore, that's very little more, Mallow, except this Maynard Patterson's a lousy poker player. On Saturday night he dropped fifty thousand to me fifty thousand and two markets Mellow, one for two thousand and the other for forty eight. I want both paid promptly.
Speaker 3: You want a thing not quite Manad Patterson doesn't remember what happens Saturday night. Oh maybe you know all about it, and you're making this up as you go along.
Speaker 9: No, Mallow, that's.
Speaker 2: Not the case.
Speaker 11: If you drag yourself to the window sill in your bedroom, you'll find all the proof you need.
Speaker 3: What do you mean that I left.
Speaker 11: One of the markets there in a white envelope, the one for two thousand, Anna and the poor little rich boy's own handwriting. I left it there so you'd know I'm not kidnappout forty eight grand I'll be in touch.
Speaker 3: So long, mellow, lousy double crook, come in?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 7: How could a girl ever resist to welcome? In your voice? I'm Faye open, private detective.
Speaker 3: That figures what happened to you?
Speaker 7: Fall out of a transom or trip over a clue?
Speaker 3: Which neither? It was a wise crack? Honey, I leafed so hot, I fell down and broke my leg.
Speaker 7: Let's get down to business.
Speaker 3: Huh, yeah, for a stought of Faye. What's your connection with Manet Pattison? How tight is there not? Huh?
Speaker 7: What was that again?
Speaker 3: I said you and Mayne? Just how chummy are you too?
Speaker 7: I thought I heard you right? You know, Private Detective. I don't like being pushed around.
Speaker 3: Hey, there's a dead man in the bedroom.
Speaker 7: Dead man? Did you say it? Deadness?
Speaker 3: Sid Rayphael? He was murdered Faye.
Speaker 7: No, oh, not sid Gee. He was a nice guy, Marlo.
Speaker 12: Sharp but nice.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 3: I want you to go in there and look for an envelope on a window sill. No, I don't think it's important, Faye. I can't get out of this bed. I go on, it may help us tag Sid's killer.
Speaker 5: All right, I'll get it.
Speaker 3: Keep going key at the window sill, do you see it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Here? Yeah, hey the window's broken in there.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? Yeah? Yeah, I'll faye. My question about you and Mane somehow or other it may County in love with him?
Speaker 7: No, I mean I like him all right.
Speaker 12: He's a good time, nice places, nice people, nice little presents. No yachts, No, that's right, No yachts, and I like yachts. Private Detective, they beat rowing around in MacArthur Park.
Speaker 7: I know I've tried them both.
Speaker 3: Anything else, Yeah, it turn it around. How does he feel about you?
Speaker 9: Overboard?
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 12: Look, you said that this might help catch Sid's killer. I like Sid, so I'd like to see that happen. But make this question a good one, because it's your last.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, man, it loves you, You love money, man. It didn't have any Now the question, do you have any plan to change all that?
Speaker 7: Just one?
Speaker 12: He was saving up every cent he could squeeze out of that stingy sister of his for a stake in a big card game.
Speaker 7: He was going to run it into big dough and he helped, Private Detective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you called checking other people's stories out, I help, which translates into what man it did just that? Only he lost it all Saturday night, lost his steak in fifty thousand bucks more?
Speaker 7: What he owes that much dough?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I'll tell me. Have you heard from minutes since.
Speaker 7: You had your last question, Private Detective? Remember good, I marlow.
Speaker 5: It's been a big fast place.
Speaker 3: I'll bet anyhow, fay, i'd best to the fish fish. Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 5: What fish?
Speaker 3: Never mind? Go bye, baby, and don't slam it the door. The lady was gone. It was time to call the police, but I was dying hard, and even as I dialed the number, I turned the envelope that had been left on the window, still over in one hand. The envelope was the cheap kind you find in any dimes told nothing written on it, and the note itself, which read I owe the bear of two thousand bucks payable within twenty four hours, was signed Mainard Patterson and dated Saturday. It was on a square piece of memo. Okay, for it made me think about a little light and quite a while I would been sitting last for a last seat in the back of my mind, trying real hot at this pupil. Oh, Marlow, that fishing may be great? Oh this leg? Can I baby be home? Hello missus Marlow or Dean?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Still, what have you found out?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but among other things, I may have caught a killer. Now listen, do you still have that note? You know, the one you brought over here? The memo you made have to fish? Call if you got it?
Speaker 8: Yes, it's in my handbagg.
Speaker 3: Never mind the question. Just get it, will you?
Speaker 7: Oh God, I'll only be a moment.
Speaker 3: I'll hang on.
Speaker 9: You better, just hang up.
Speaker 3: I wasn't expecting you just yet made it?
Speaker 9: Or this gun? I'm sure hang up.
Speaker 3: It'll only make a call back, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And won't my dear sister be exasperated when she keeps getting it no matter how long she dials? Only you're busy signal?
Speaker 3: The pronunciation is signal? Mean what do I call you? Fish? And don't look so surprised your acts think babeluecat pronounce the letter rest avoid it instead of going out of their way to use it, as in Perth Dring my mistake, Molloyah. Among a lot of others. You never should have been careless about the kind of paper you wrote the iou on your sister, who you're trying to swindle, come in here earlier with the same juttings on a piece of paper that's got the same top edge irregular because no doubt no.
Speaker 9: I know because it was ripped off the same telephone pad. And I wouldn't have used that paper since iouser customarily written during her immediately after a card game, and I couldn't have been at home at the time of the game. I'd stop it, Marlow, there's no need for any more hypotheses.
Speaker 3: No, you can fill in all the blanks, can't you step by step? A rotten tailor made scheme to get your sister to save you by paying fifty thousand bucks to a gambler named Fish who doesn't exist.
Speaker 9: I should stop it.
Speaker 3: Slimy set up that began the fake one night stand of Bottle in Bond Amnesia moved on and would also fake telephone call Ordine from a heavy named Fish, a man with a lift shut up Mallow, and the payoff the confession call of me af.
Speaker 9: Yes, mister Mallow, everything you say is so, but I'm still not beaten. And I won't be. You're the only one who knows all this. And even as Fish killed sid Rafael, fish is gonna kill you, fish Mallow, not me, Fish, the ruthless gambler who never will be caught, but who my sister will pay. Nevertheless, that clear, Mellow, Not quite?
Speaker 3: Why did you kill Raphael? He had me convinced that Fish actually existed.
Speaker 9: Which is the reason he died. He was playing my Gamellow, not for me. Somehow or other he found out what I was doing, maybe because he always checked carefully when anybody got too interested in Faye Aufman, and he decided to help things along and cut himself in. You know the answer to that? Now, if you don't mind turn on the radio, Mellow.
Speaker 3: Why silence? It hasn't it on? Ye ladder?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't want anything to go wrong, now, man, I've been so lucky, lucky that I got away from my sister and was free to watch this building, it's apartment, lucky so that I could see who came and who went and act accordingly. Yeah, I've been lucky, all right, You do grant me that, don't you mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, you've been lucky. Yeah, you've been real Lucky Patterson up to now. But you know how it is with luck, kid, One minute you have it, the next minute it runs out. Lucky you might have I turned this off. It's putting me to sleep.
Speaker 9: You are brave, aren't you, Marlowe?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, just lucky lucky. That someone's standing behind you.
Speaker 9: Who the Mounted Police?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, just a guy, a guy named Hunger Malloy. It's a funny kind of a guy man. And he he was here early at night and he ducked out by way of the bedroom. At least I thought he'd ducked out.
Speaker 9: Quit. I don't budge an inch. I'm not going to turn around, give you the chance to go for that gun, which is probably under your pillow.
Speaker 3: But manage, you should do something. You're about to be hitting a knogin honestly, and with a vibe that's mollow.
Speaker 9: I'll believe what it happened.
Speaker 10: He just wouldn't take your word, would he, Philip. Well, that's the way it goes.
Speaker 3: I'll see you. I'll wait a minute, Hunger, come back here.
Speaker 10: I can't pal you got a corpse in there.
Speaker 2: That means cops them and need don't make.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about it. Just tell me before I bust. You started for the way window twenty minutes ago. What happened?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, Philip, what happened? Hunger?
Speaker 10: I got delayed after that stuff was popping this This louse was in there, then the corpse delect high and then the louse again at the window, leaving an envelope at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the delay, Hunger before company started coming? What was it? Well?
Speaker 7: And the truth pulp?
Speaker 3: Yeah, try it, try it may not hurt at all.
Speaker 10: Okay, they was on your dresser.
Speaker 2: The jazziest pair.
Speaker 10: Of pearl couplings, Philip, I seen since I used to deal in Vegas. I was attracted.
Speaker 3: Hunger is the last favorite of a guy. You've already done a big favor for it. Take the couplings.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, kid, all right, Philip, As long as you put it's a nice I will now, Like I was saying, wait.
Speaker 3: A minute, Hunger, the couplings. Take them with you now.
Speaker 10: Of course, that's exactly what I'm doing, Philip, see you around.
Speaker 3: Funny little guy, funny name, Hunger malloy. You know it's a strange thing, but a broken leg makes the old wheels go around. Now, that figures makes you think about breaks, and that brings me back to Hunger Maloy again. The only break he ever got was in his skull. Somebody once said, we make our own breaks. I don't know about that. I didn't break my leg, or maybe I did. Did I really look where I was going? And man had Patterson with all the breaks, he had loads of dough. Still he didn't know where he was going out of that. And sid Rayphield, I wonder if when the slug hit him, he thought, what a loves he break.
Speaker 4: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe Bringing You Raymond Chandler's most famous characters, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman MacDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gene Levitt. Featured in our cast were Anne Stone, David Ellis, viv Janis Williams, Herbert, Paul Dubov and Frank Gerstall. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard o'rant. Bessured be with us again next week when Philip Marlowe says.
Speaker 3: This time it was strictly out of whack from a perfect hostess who was rude to our guests. As the big red fence that ran all the way from La to Palm Springs. Who was second story man stabbed to death in a basement apartment.
Speaker 4: Don't let a rainy day find you unprepared. Start saving for that rainy day right now by buying United States savings bonds. There's nothing quite like these savings bonds. They're like a cash reserve, always available when you need them, and yet they're always earning interest. If you hold on to your savings bonds until they mature, you'll get back three or four dollars for every three dollars you invest. Start providing for the future right now. Buy United States Savings bonds regularly. This is Roy Rowan speaking. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Well.
Speaker 1: I love the concept of this episode, the idea of Marlowe solving a case without leaving his bed. I don't know if they quite got the story to its full potential. I mean, essentially, all the tough guys and people he normally walks about to question were very nice and can real y'all, and came to be questioned and to deliver their dialogue right it is at his bed. I mean that is service, But I think there's more you can do with the detective stuck in bed against a dangerous foe, particularly here since his rescue came from a little bit of a cheat. But still, I did enjoy the episode, and I thought the identity of the murderer was a good twist, because even if you recognize that the same actor was doing the voice of the brother and of the fish, that still wouldn't necessarily mean that they were the same people. It could just mean that they were doing doubles. But any rate, an interesting episode. And speaking of interesting, I have a postcard that came to my peel box at peel Box one five nine one three boise Onaho eight three seven one five. And I love the postcard because it is a cover of Action Comics number forty two from March nineteen forty two. It's a situation where Superman is flying upwards to save a roller coaster car where the track has split and the passengers are hurtling towards their new I've read the story in Action Comics forty two. The cover has nothing to do with it, but it's certainly a great cover anyway. Lindsey writes in Dear Mister Graham, I realized that this peel box is for donations, but I have these postcards and I wanted to send you one, and the site doesn't.
Speaker 2: Really say not to write.
Speaker 1: Well, lindsay, I'm perfectly okay with people who would rather do written a correspondent sending them to the peel box, just as long as it's legendable, which means I am not allowed to send a letter to myself at my peel box, but printed legibly, I can definitely read it. Plus with a very nice card like this, I definitely appreciate that. She goes on to say, I wanted to thank you for being so active in the old time radio community. I first began listening to your Superman podcast because it was the most complete on iTunes. I later listened to some of your Great Detectives podcast, and I found your commentary far more engaging. I think most people who still listen to old time radio know your name. Well, that's nice of you to say, she said, I'd already listened to Box thirteen when I found the Great Detective so you probably mentioned the twenty ten Box thirteen comic there, but I thought i'd bring it up anyway. Speaking of comics, I'm a big fan of The Green Hornet and The Saint, both of which spawned comic books. I was wondering if you had any comments on them. Superman's main medium was the comic book, but the radio show influenced the comics. Did the comics of the Green Hornt Hornet or The Saint influenced the radio show? Thanks well, Lindsey. I'll go ahead and answer the question as best I can. And I should have talked more about the Saint comic book back when we were doing The Saint, so I'll do that now. On the Saint radio show, there was often reference to the Saint comic book being on sale on a newsstand. Typically, if we think of comic books, we think of these super hero comic books, and if we think further, we'll probably think of Marvel and DC. If you're really a bit more on the geeky side, you may be aware that there are other companies out there like IDW, Image, Dark Horse, and Dynamite. But pretty much we think, when it comes to history, it was Marvel and DC. Well, that really wasn't true. In the nineteen forties there was an absolute proliferation of a comic book companies, and one of these was a company called Avon, and they published the Saint comic books. Now, like a lot of comics during this period, the Saint Comic Book was published between nineteen forty seven and nineteen fifty two. It would be overly generous to say that the Saint comics were published on any sort of schedule. They had twelve issues published in those five years. All the issues of the Saint Comic Book are actually in the public domaining Nobody Review renewed the copyright on them and so you can read them at Digitalcomic Museum dot com. Essentially, it didn't change anything. The same comic books were basic and i should say, fairly well written crime and adventure comics of the era, some full book adventures running twenty some pages, and some that were, you know, fairly short of six to ten page story. But it didn't really have any influence on what went on in the book, what went on the movies. In fact, the st TV Show in the nineteen sixties was one of the few that didn't actually have a comic book associated with it. The Saint also had a comic strip that ran in newspapers that both predated and outlasted the comic book. As for the Green Hornet. That character has pretty much been acquired by Dynamite, and indeed, if you're interested in the Green Hornet, pretty much the only way to read.
Speaker 2: About him is in comic books.
Speaker 1: Though there was that movie a few years back, but it didn't do particularly well. And Dynamite they actually published reprints of Golden Age Green Hornet material, and so I've read all the issues of that that were collected in their Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered hardcover book, and I can say that the Green Hornet comic didn't have any influence on the radio show. It was very much derivative of the radio show. The approach taken with the comic book was to fill this sixty four page comic with six to eight page Green Hornet stories, and they all basically followed similar Racketbuckstein stories like you here on the radio show. They just weren't as complex or as well developed. So I would say the influence of the Green Hornet comic on the radio show is pretty well nil. But at any rate, Lindsey, thanks so much for the question and for the nice cart. I really appreciate it. But that will do it for today. If you do have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, slash Radiodetectives.
Speaker 2: Well, that will do it for today.
Speaker 1: Join us next Wednesday for another episode of Philip Marlow, and coming next Tuesday, it's The Crime Files of Flamond as our new Tuesday show, and then join us tomorrow for Nick Carter. In the meanwhile, sendra comments to box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, Slash Radio Detectives. From Boise, Idaho, this is your host, Adam Grahamson and off