Speaker 1: June third, nineteen fifty brought NBC listeners the ninth broadcast of Dimension X.
Speaker 2: In Embassy, New.
Speaker 1: York, Private detective Broderick receives a visit from the scholarly mister Grafius, who brings an ancient document and an extraordinary claim a Martian embassy may be hidden somewhere in the city. George Lefferts adapted Donald A. Wolheim story for radio, with Joseph Julian, Barry Kroger, Daniel Acco, and Norman Rose among the cast. Dimension X now presents Embassy, and now our story begins.
Speaker 3: Adventures in time and space told in future tents desa out of the infinitude of stars and planets in the Solar System and other systems in the universe. It is almost mathematically certain that there exist other forms of life on other worlds. Someday in the future, in a thousand years or in the next ten minutes, daring travelers through space will make contact with the inhabitants of another world. But the question is will we contact them first or will they contact us?
Speaker 2: Come man, this is Roderick's private detective agency. Check. My name is Gravis Graveyers of Springfield I would like to see, mister Prederick check. When is it all?
Speaker 4: There's a guy outside, a kind of a guy, A great, big guy with a big shining head and thick glasses like the bottoms of Coca Cola bottles.
Speaker 2: And he looks like a professors. I mean, is does he look like a client or a bill collector? He didn't say, Okay, iron Man, send him in. Check mister g Mister Broderick will see you. Thank you, mister Brederick in the flesh. Okay, iron Man, step outside. Check if you need me, I'll be outside. I'll have to excuse mister Dolan. He's a very useful man. If he happened to want a house moved or somebody's head unscrewed from their shoulders, his reflexes aren't too good. He's what you might call under organized. I respected as much, all right, mister Graius, let's get down to business precisely. I would like your assistance in helping me locate something here in New York City. That's what are you trying to locate, mister Grafius, the Martian Embassy. Would you say that again? Very slowly? I came to New York to locate the Martian embassy Martian like in Buck Rogers, agents of the government of the planet of Mars. Dolan, what's the trouble, Boss Carmard is a cracked part, of course. If you wish me to leave, I will leave. But before I go, you might examine this. You will find it quite authentic. Holy mackerel a five century. No, let me say that, saiddan, Mister Grafia saddan like you'reself comfortable, Dolan, get mister Grafs a light check. Okay, mister grais her remarks about our specled friends, the Martians. I shall ignore this. Being the year nineteen hundred and fifty five, I assume you're joking. I am completely serious. As it happens, I am interested only in Martians at the moment. I see. Okay, yeah, Shoot. It occurred to me in the course of my studies that we Earth people cannot possibly be the only intelligent form of life in the universe out of the infinitude of stars and planets. They must definitely mathematically be others. Since Mars is older geologically, and since it is also an atmospheric planet, its evolutionary history could easily be similar to ours. You follow me, so far. I can't say now, but if this is true, then they must have been watching us, observing us for hundreds, possibly thousands of years, work for black male Taptol. And they know then that we are not far from achieving space travel atomic rocket ships that can travel to other planets. They also know we are a militaristic wor you all like race, We might conceivably set out to conquer and occupy bars one day, in which case that try to get the jump on it. Precisely, mister Roger. And how would they do that for a civilization as old as there's space traveler would be a simple enough matter flying sources I've read about. Relax, iron Man. Go on, mister Grafias. If you were planning to attack an unknown nation, what would be your first move, mister Proderick? Intelligence, find out what the odds are. You have a very logical mindset. You would send agents to scout the nerve centers of earthly civilization and advancement. Not in Kansas City or Equatorial Africa, my dear sir, but here in New York City, the most technically advanced spot on Earth. Uh huh? And you want me to help you prove this theory of yours precisely expense. This does not interest me. This might take a very long long time, mister Grafius. After all, nobody's ever seen a Martian. I assure you it will be very ordinary appearing people. Likely they live together in downtown New York, close to the newspapers and publishers, the newscables, communications centers, and the financial center of Wall Street. Most certainly they live in a private house with no servants to pry into their affairs. Some ordinary people will live in a private house in downtown New York. I might just as well look up martians in the classified section of the phone book. There is one other lead which might help you. What's that They would be almost certain to subscribe to every conceivable type of newspaper, scientific, general, foreign language publication. Well, that might be something. Okay, mister Graius, it's a deal, excellent. I shall contact you tomorrow, Oh well before you leave. Yes, just as a matter of interest, Why are you so interested in meeting up with these Martians, mister Broderick, I wish to avert the catastrophe of a successful Martian invasion of the Earth. Naturally, I cannot go to the police of the military, I'd be laughed out of existence. So I'm doing this privately. You seem to know all the answers, mister Graffias, Not all of them, mister Broderick, not quite all the answers. Not quite yet. Of course, he's a private address.
Speaker 4: Takes everything from Pick magazine to the Manchester Guardian. Listen to this Pick Look, Scientific America, the Daily News, the Daily Worker, the Police Gazette, the General of Engineering, Scientific Quarterly, American Psychatric.
Speaker 2: Jersesey that oh Dolan, Dolan. Sometimes I wonder, what's the address on this nine West one hundred and twenty fourth Street, which happens to be the Harlem branch of the public Library. Oh Alliston, noodle brain, check all the renting agents, find out every private house in downtown New York, and then cross check with the magazine subscription departments of the scientific magazines.
Speaker 4: You got that check. I wonder, Boss, what's the sense of all this? We know there ain't no Martian embassy in New York.
Speaker 2: This crackpot is paying us one hundred dollars a day, and we got to keep them happy, understand. Yeah. Also, I've got a hunch that mister Graffius isn't looking for any Martian embassies. He's looking for something quite different. I'll start making with a telephone, which I says a duller, right, tell me number one A way to find out anything, not a thing.
Speaker 4: I've been watching the place for a week now. Nobody comes out, nobody goes in my it's the wrong, nobody knows nothing.
Speaker 2: You ain't been blabbing around the neighborhood that we're looking for the Martian embassy, have you? Boss? I'm stupid, but I ain't that stupid. Who'd you talk to?
Speaker 4: I struck up what you might call a casual acquaintanceship with those two girls standing with the baby carriages up the street. The cute one is real cute.
Speaker 2: I look to him. Don't try to do anything intelligent, Just keep walking up and down. Say check. I'm going back to the office to make Grapius.
Speaker 4: See you later, boss. Hi, a beautiful a flat foot? How did you know I was a detective?
Speaker 5: Your socks are bagging at the arches.
Speaker 2: I'll stick around, beautiful.
Speaker 4: I'll be back in a few minutes and a week and make some beautiful music together.
Speaker 5: Listen to Romeo Helen, A man's Dolen.
Speaker 2: Honey, iron Man Dolen, your line.
Speaker 5: Is getting rusty.
Speaker 6: Iron Man, you pull along with him, for he reminds me of my husband, a big, good natured slag.
Speaker 5: Helen, Helen, look.
Speaker 7: Helen, sorry to ket your waiting.
Speaker 2: Mister Dolan found a house down in Greenwich Village, privately rented number one oh eight Conchland Street. Nobody's to know anything about who lives there except that they subscribe to every paper and scientific journal put out, and also they have a peculiar antenna on the roof. You don't suppose you are, mister Doolan will try to get inside the house. Nah, you know it's better, mister Broderick, I I show you if that place is the Martian Membersolan can take care of himself. Hill, I wish you would informed me before. That's proud of him reporting back now excuse me? Hello, yeah, speaking Dolan. Yeah he works?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, I can't think of any Yeah sure, okay, yeah, I'll be right down, okay, lieutenant, yeah, yeah, right away? Something the matter? Uhlan is dead, mister Graffius. They found him splattered all over the sidewalk in front of number one away Conchland Street. How did it happen there witnesses. He said a building corners dropped on him, the corners, but how fell off the building next to one o eight, right on top of him. Come on, we can get a cab. I have to identify the body. I'm Broderick, Oh Lasier boy, Prodrick, not very pretty, Oh, mother in heaven. That's a thousand pound hunk of concrete. Where did it come from? Dropped off the roof of one oh six? Anybody say it?
Speaker 8: There's a couple of maids pushing baby carriages. One was so shaken we had a center to the hospital. The other one is hysterical, but she can talk. Don't seem to get any sense out of.
Speaker 2: Her, though, You mind if I talk to her at all. I'll be back in a minute. Graphias, I'll read here.
Speaker 8: She's standing right over there with the patrolman on the beach. Oh Hanson, Yes, this guy wants a few questions.
Speaker 2: With the girls.
Speaker 6: Please, I told you what I saw? How many times I gotta tell you?
Speaker 2: Yes, the dead man was a personal friend of mine. Would you tell me what happened? Please?
Speaker 6: Helen and I were standing in front of Redmond's candy store up on the corner. We both had the babies up. I worked for missus Gillian on Washington Square North. This he said alone, joked a little, and he walked down the street, just like he's been doing all week. Hadn't taken more than a few steps.
Speaker 2: What please, it's very important.
Speaker 5: They tell him. But they don't believe me.
Speaker 2: What do you tell him? Tell me? Do all please?
Speaker 5: Whoop?
Speaker 2: Whoop?
Speaker 5: Thirsty? Well, and then the stump fell on it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean he squashed?
Speaker 5: They don't believe me.
Speaker 2: But Helen saw it too, saw what.
Speaker 1: Then it fell on it?
Speaker 5: He was mashed flat before it even.
Speaker 2: Hit Look, that's the story, Broderick.
Speaker 5: Please please let me alone, Let me go home.
Speaker 7: I told you what i'd done alone.
Speaker 2: Did you let anything, mister Rodrick? Eh, I don't know. I don't know what to make of it. It's crazy, mister Rodrick. If I made a suggestion at this point, perhaps it would be better if we dropped the entire matter. What's eating you? First? You come at me with a chain of nonsense, at you're stake and real cash on. Now when we hit solid trail, you want to call off the dogs. Well, maybe you operate that way, but Broderick doesn't. May, I ask, then, what do you intend doing? As soon as the cops clear out in this place quiets down, I'm going to pay a personal call on the Marsian Embassy whatever number one oh eight is. Whatever you are, open that door two heads or ten fingers up, really like a platoon of rookies.
Speaker 9: Yeah, oh well, young.
Speaker 2: Man, excuse me, ma'am is the lady of the house at home?
Speaker 5: I'm the lady of the house.
Speaker 2: Well, my name is Broderick. I represent the Manhattan Child Adoption Center. We're so listening funds and clothing for stranded and unadopted children.
Speaker 5: I wonder, Oh, won't you come inside?
Speaker 2: Oh we don't usually nonsense.
Speaker 9: I'm old enough to be your grandmother. Besides, my son, Lauren is working at home.
Speaker 2: Your son.
Speaker 5: He's a bibliographer.
Speaker 9: He writes summaries of articles and books from scientific journals and publications for libraries and universe. I see you sit down, mister Broderick. We get so few calls, and I do like to visit.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 5: Now, what was it you wanted to talk to us about?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, I uh, I wondered if you were your son. There's nobody else living here.
Speaker 9: No, just Lauren and I. I'll have to ask him about the contribution, but i'm sure he'd like to.
Speaker 2: Good. Thank you very much. I'll send the representative to collect.
Speaker 9: Well, please stay a moment. I was just about to have tea. Let me pull you account. Well, No, thanks, really now, young man, I insist, well, thank you. I was getting awfully tired of having tea by myself every afternoon.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not very much of a tea drinker, but this seems to have a strange taste.
Speaker 5: It's my own recipe. The secret is in the brewing.
Speaker 2: It's sweet, it almost talic.
Speaker 5: It takes a few SIPs to get used to like al it.
Speaker 2: I think I had better be running along.
Speaker 5: But you haven't finished your tea, mister b I better be going.
Speaker 2: I'm late.
Speaker 5: Oh you're not being there, polite, you finish your teeth.
Speaker 2: You're funny.
Speaker 5: Call Lauren.
Speaker 2: No, I'm leaving that.
Speaker 5: I'm sure Lauren can help you.
Speaker 2: I'll call it, but I must.
Speaker 5: Besides, you aren't well, Lauren. Lauren, Lauren, hurry out of my way. No, you must stay drugged my teeth, get out of here. The other one, Rodrick, he was here I drugged his teeth.
Speaker 2: He got away.
Speaker 5: Cool it is, go after him, use the pressure ray.
Speaker 2: Risk another murder on our doorstep. Are you insane?
Speaker 5: He suspects.
Speaker 2: We'll have to take our chances. We'll have to think of some other way.
Speaker 5: How did they find us?
Speaker 2: I don't know how, but I'm certain someone else sent them. I don't know.
Speaker 10: I'm afraid to let myself think it might be them.
Speaker 2: What's where you're going? Drunk Please? I get away from it? Out, miss, please help please? You know what's the trouble, hairs Drunkard.
Speaker 5: Is insulting people.
Speaker 6: I saw him come out of the house there, that's the one he bumped into a gentleman.
Speaker 5: Then you pulled it my arm.
Speaker 11: All right, miss, I'll take care of it. Come along, mister. I'm going to give you a break and take it back to the wife and kids.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can't sick. What's the matter? They drug me? Old Roger number one ol A. Martians, Oh, Martians number one o A. It's Martian Embassy.
Speaker 11: Well, I've seen him with pink elephants, rabbits and mice. But you're the first one who's got my head.
Speaker 2: I tell you, come a law. Let's listen, don't take me back there, don't come tell me.
Speaker 7: I gotta make you.
Speaker 2: Under Yeah, I'll help you off the stand. My name is Roderick. I'm a private thick.
Speaker 11: We will find out about this there, don't find stop it.
Speaker 2: Please letten.
Speaker 7: I'll give you anything.
Speaker 12: I'll give you a thousand dollars. Please listen, God listen, Yes, Roderick, you know this.
Speaker 5: Why that's my son, roder.
Speaker 2: He's in pretty bad.
Speaker 5: He was doing so well at the Alcoholic Society. He must have gotten off again.
Speaker 2: Looks like he's ready to pass out. What is it?
Speaker 5: Mother, Your brother Broderick has been drinking again.
Speaker 2: Look out, he's passed out. I'll take care of him. Officer, we've handled this sort of thing before. Can you manage? Okay, we'll be fine. Thank you.
Speaker 5: You've been very kind.
Speaker 11: We're nothing at all, Brownie. I know how it is with these alkis well. I'll be seeing you, Martian Embley, Martian.
Speaker 2: Oh my head. Mister Broderick is regaining consciousness. Mother, what happened? Oh? Get get up.
Speaker 13: You're not struggling, mister Broderick. It'll be impossible for you to rise from that chair. The pressure from this ray will keep you.
Speaker 2: Hooray, who are you?
Speaker 13: You've already guessed, mister Broderick. You mean this really is the Martian Embassy. Yes, you have the honor to be the first prisoner of the Imperial Government of Mars.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 13: After the invasion, of course you will all be our prisoners.
Speaker 2: Hello, what sever business? Says? This?
Speaker 13: No business, mister Broderick, as your people will soon find out, our preparations for invasion are nearly completed. On as soon as we give the signal, our armed forces will launch a surprise attack, and then the earth will be ours. Look crazy, not half as mad as you, mister Broderick, to come muddling so foolishly into our affairs.
Speaker 2: That was a fatal mistake. So Stolen's death. There's no accident, then, assuredly not.
Speaker 13: We found it necessary to use a pressure ray on your friend. The block of concrete was an afterthought. We thought it might help to avert suspicion.
Speaker 2: All right, what happens now?
Speaker 13: If you cooperate, you can look forward to a quick, painless depth like your friend, mister Doolan. If not, this pressure ray as many delicate adjustments.
Speaker 2: It can move a pin, but it can crush a boulder. Let me demonstrate.
Speaker 13: You see, mister Brodrick, as if an invisible vice for crushing you.
Speaker 2: What do you want the name of your client?
Speaker 13: We are interested in knowing who is so anxious to locate the Martian embassy, and.
Speaker 2: Names of my clients are confidential. Oh well, I got it off, mother. Mister Bardwick has seen the wisdom of speech. His name is.
Speaker 5: An unusual name for an earth man.
Speaker 2: Describe him. I don't know if I really it can, Mother? Describe him. He's tall, got a big forehead, about sixty. He wears the glasses he's.
Speaker 5: It sounds like one of them.
Speaker 13: Yes, it does contact the planet. Tell them we suspect that our plans are known. Ask for an acceleration of invasion day for what about me? I am sorry, mister Broderick, but I am afraid you know too much. Now, exactly five seconds you will feel the full impact of the ray which faces you. I would suggest that you relax and meet your fate calmly. Now, I am you will feel no pain, just a wall of force and golfing five.
Speaker 2: No, you can't do that.
Speaker 13: This is a human I know, but we are not human free.
Speaker 5: Now, Laren, it didn't work.
Speaker 2: Something's happened. The magnetic field is dead.
Speaker 5: Get it working. We've got to get rid of this one.
Speaker 13: I can't understand what's going wrong with the Why would it suddenly stop like that?
Speaker 2: Perhaps I can explain what it's you. Yes, sorry, stand back from the pressure rape please, it will not function anyway. I have decontrolled your heels, Lauren.
Speaker 5: It's one of them. They've found us.
Speaker 2: Did you think we wouldn't? I trust you have not harmed my friend, mister Roderick. He's being very useful to me. Rather am I very glad to see you talk about the Marines landing in the neck of time. You're free to move now, mister Roderick. I don't know how you got in here, Graphius, but sticker on. These babies are really marchigans, just like you said. They're planning to invade the Earth and take over. There will be no Martian invasion. You'll keep these characters covered. I'll get the police, there will be no need for the police, and tend to enter them myself. But the police will not call the police. Why not, you.
Speaker 13: Fool of an Earthling? Don't you realize with whom you are dealing? The invasion of Earth by Mars will be like Charles Plague.
Speaker 14: Compare Holy They just flattened out, like your friend, mister Doolan.
Speaker 2: And it tastes the use of violence where the intellect can rule. But unfortunately the Martians are a threat to us. It must be destroyed. I believe you now, Rather five seconds had to finished me. I'm glad you didn't waste any time. There is little time to waste. The Martian invasion was to have taken place next week. Yeah, hey, they never said that. How do you know you would not comprehend? Wait a minute, there's some things here. I do understand. A second ago that pressure right didn't work. Now you're using it like I was a toy. How did you get in here? Anyway? Who are you another one of those Martians? No, mister Brodrick, I happened to be a Venusian? What sentative of the planet Venus? Venus? That's impossible, not at all. The Martians are really an inferior race. We've adduce to much farther advanced as much as we are over you, mister Broderick. The Martians would simply have conquered and enslaved your people. We have Innusians felt compelled to exterminate you completely. That's impossible. No, now that we have disposed of the Martian threat, what is there to stop us? Our invasion begins tomorrow at noon. By nightfall, the earth will be out rather than heaven either. I'm completely cuckoo. Oh well, this is really an ledant edge toward the door. Mister Broderick. You're thinking of running for help, aren't you. Now I can read your thoughts quite clearly. Suppose you're going to knock me off like our Martian friends of the countrary ahead, leave? Why not? Why don't you try it, mister Brederick, because the minute I turn my back, you're gonna let me have it. Suppose you try it and see I have that interesting stuff? Go ahead, all right, Buster, you asked for it. Will do you no good? No God, you will see hair.
Speaker 11: Why do you think you're running track the officer?
Speaker 2: Listen to me. Oh, it's you, the one with the marsh Yeah, that's right. Listen, that story is true. They're inside that house inside number one O eight. He killed them, who killed Raphius. He's the leader of the Venusian invasion. Venusian invasion, that's right. Tomorrow at noon. They're going to take over the earth. Alisten, go in that house, Marshals now Venusians. Eh, okay, that's enough for me. Come along, good man, got much time? Wait where you're taking me?
Speaker 11: Bellview psychiatric word, my friend, con you know I'll come.
Speaker 12: Aloe, listen to me.
Speaker 7: Why isn't your fool oh me a thread for corn.
Speaker 2: I think it's going to be an invasion.
Speaker 7: The Velutians are going to invade.
Speaker 15: It's not us man.
Speaker 5: You gotta believe me.
Speaker 16: You gotta believe me. Alla, Why don't say listen? Why don't lead?
Speaker 15: You have just heard Another adventure into the unknown world of the future, the world of.
Speaker 17: Dimension Next week the story of Reesling, the strange blind singer of the Spaceways. He traveled with space lines from Mars to Venus to the moons of Jupiter. No captain could refuse to carry Reasling and his battered guitar. He sang of all the wonders of the galaxy, but his greatest song was of the sight he would never see, the green hills of Earth. Tonight, The Mansion Acts has presented The Embassy, the story by Donald A. Wollheim has adapted Barettio by George Laffards. Joseph Julian was heard as Roderick, Barry Kroger as Graphius.
Speaker 15: Our narrator was Norman Rose. Music by Albert Berman engineer Don Abbott. Dimension X is produced by Van Woodward and directed by Edward King. Tomorrow Here High Adventure, Now It's Truth or Consequences on NBC.
Speaker 2: That was Dimension X with Embassy.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing another broadcast from radio science fiction years. Follow Old Time Sci Fi Radio for more classic science fiction broadcasts.