Speaker 1: Imagine stepping behind the curtain of the digital world, not just you know, seeing the data flowing, but truly understanding the blueprints how networks are actually built, why they're designed that way, and how they connect well everything. Right today, we're doing just that, a deep dive into the let's say, art and science of enterprise network design.
Speaker 2: And we're using a pretty serious guide for this journey. It's an official certification resource, basically the playbook network architects use.
Speaker 1: Yeah, packed up the fundamentals, but also the really cutting edge stuff that makes today's networks teck exactly.
Speaker 2: So our mission here is to pull out the most vital bits of knowledge from all this material. We want you to walk away not just informed, but really getting what it takes to build a network that's stable, secure, and crucially scalable.
Speaker 1: Connecting the dots basically theory to practice. That's the plan. Okay, let's dive in, starting right at the foundation ip addressing. It's kind of a story of well scarcity leading eventually to abundance, it really is.
Speaker 2: It all kicked off with IPv four way back in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty one ancient history and tech terms.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, but by the mid nineties people were already talking about apparent exhaustion running out of addresses. It seemed like a potential crisis.
Speaker 1: A major roadblock for the Internet's growth.
Speaker 2: Surely, absolutely, and that pressure it sparked some incredible ingenuity to cope with this dwindling supply. We got things like CIDR classless inner domain routing.
Speaker 1: Which made address allocation more.
Speaker 2: Flexible, right exactly, and NAT network address translation, letting many devices hide behind one public IP and of course RFC nineteen eighteen private address space.
Speaker 1: These weren't just technical tricks, they were fundamental design strategies totally.
Speaker 2: They had to be think about. ITA gave out the last main IPv four blocks in twenty eleven, am in in twenty fifteen, so even now, being smart about how you allocate those remaining IPv four addresses is still a critical design task thinking about that scarcity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a really clever, maybe less obvious design workaround that came out of it, beyond just you know, the basic NAT definition.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. NAT often gets criticized right for breaking end to end stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, network peerists aren't always fans, but.
Speaker 2: Its ability to let companies merge even if they happened to be using the same private IP ranges internally. That was a lifesaver. Ah the overlapping networks problem precisely imagine trying to readdress thousands, maybe tens of thousands of devices during a merger, hugely expensive, risky nightmare. NAT provided a practical, if not perfectly elegant workaround. It kept businesses running and related to that efficiency, understanding subnetting and VLSU variable length subnet masking is just essential for designers.
Speaker 1: Not just chopping up networks.
Speaker 2: No, it's about precision. Assigning just enough addresses, like using a tiny thirty mask only two usable IPS for a point to point link between routers, minimal.
Speaker 1: Waste, or thirty two for a address.
Speaker 2: Exactly gives the router a stable identity that's always up, perfect for management using just one address. It's all about efficiency and enabling good route summarization later.
Speaker 1: Okay, addresses assigned, But for any of this to actually work, we need ways to translate names people use into these numbers, and for devices on the same network to find each other's hardware addresses.
Speaker 2: Absolutely essential. Plumbing DNS, the Domain Name system does the heavy lifting translating website names into IP addresses so routers know where to send stuff.
Speaker 1: The Internet's phone book basically.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, and then locally on the same network segment, you've got ARP Address resolution protocol that's mapping the known IP address to the physical MIS address needed for the final delivery.
Speaker 1: They seeing basic, but if they fail.
Speaker 2: Everything grinds to a halt. Their robust design is fundamental.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if IPv four was this story of scarcity, then IPv six that's about abundance, right, A huge lead from thirty two bids to one hundred and twenty eight bits. How does that change the design thinking.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's night and day. That vast address space, I mean, it's almost unfathomably large. Let's designers ditch many of the complex workarounds that IPv four scarcity forced on us. Like Matt potentially, yes, but beyond just more addresses, IPv six was designed with improvements. It has a simpler header, which routers can process faster less overhead. Right, security is built in. iPSC is an optional, it's a requirement, and path MTU discovery is standard, which eliminates the need for routers to fragment packets. That's a big deal for efficiency and reliability.
Speaker 1: So a cleaner, potentially faster, more secure foundation.
Speaker 2: That's the idea, and think about land design. The recommendation is to use a sixty four subnet for pretty much every land segment.
Speaker 1: Sixty four. That's billions upon billions of addresses for one network segment.
Speaker 2: Exactly more than you could ever possibly use. But it massively simplifies adjusts planning, and it enables things like SLA stateless Address autoconfiguration where devices can essentially give themselves a unique address without needing a DHCP server.
Speaker 1: That's a huge shift from meticulously planning every single IPv four subnet. And you mentioned a really key design practice for getting IPv six addresses to avoid future pain.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is crucial for long term stability, to avoid the massive renumbering projects that plagued IPv four networks when you changed ISPs. The strong recommendation is to get your IPv six address blocks directly from a regional Internet registry and RIR.
Speaker 1: Like Elion in North America or apn EK in Asia Pacific.
Speaker 2: Exactly, rather than just getting a block from your service provider. This makes your address based portable independent. It's a foundational decision for future proofing in.
Speaker 1: This structure from INA down to RIRs than ISPs. Then companies that helps keep the global Internet routing table manageable.
Speaker 2: It does. It allows for massive route summarization at the higher levels, even with the colossal number of potential networks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got this amazing IPv six world, but let's face it, IPv four isn't going away overnight. How do network our caitects designed for this transition? How do they bridge that gap? Good question.
Speaker 2: The preferred method, the gold standard, really is dual stack, running both IPv four and IPv six protocols simultaneously on all your devices and network segments. Everything speaks both languages.
Speaker 1: So new stuff uses IPv six. Old stuff still works on IPv four pretty much.
Speaker 2: But sometimes a full dual stack rollout isn't immediately feasible, so designers have other tools, transitional tools.
Speaker 1: Tunneling is one option, like six to four or isotap.
Speaker 2: Right encapsulating IPv six packets inside ipp four packets to cross parts of the network that only understand IPv four. And then there are translation mechanisms.
Speaker 1: INDs sixty four and DNS sixty four exactly.
Speaker 2: They allow IPv six only clients to talk to IPv four only servers by translating addresses and protocols at the boundary. These are definitely migration tools, not usually the desired end state, but vital for the transition period.
Speaker 1: Okay, so addressing is clearly the beddrog. But once devices have addresses, how does the traffic figure out the best way to get from A to B? Especially in a big, complex enterprise network.
Speaker 2: Oh now we're talking about the network's GPS routing protocols guiding that traffic efficiently.
Speaker 1: And the first big design choice here seems to be this fundamental split distance vector versus link state protocols. What's the core difference.
Speaker 2: It's a huge difference, and it impacts scalability. How fast the network recovers from chain is convergent speed and just general complexity. Distance vector protocols like the classic RIP.
Speaker 1: Routing information protocol showing its age a bit.
Speaker 2: Now, Definitely they're simpler. Conceptually, Routers basically learn from their immediate neighbors, sharing their entire routing table periodically, routing by rumor some call it, which.
Speaker 1: Sounds like it could be slow. If something changes far away.
Speaker 2: It can be, and it can lead to more overhead sending those full tables around. Link state protocols like OSPF for ISIS work very differently. Also, each router builds a complete map, a topology of the entire network area it's in. They achieve this by flooding information about their own direct connections their.
Speaker 1: Link states, so everyone gets the same map.
Speaker 2: Within an area. Yes, and with that map, each router independently calculates the shortest path to every destination using an algorithm like diykstras.
Speaker 1: Which means faster convergence. Right yeah, if LINKO down, everyone recalculates.
Speaker 2: Quickly, much faster typically, and they only send updates when something actually changes, not the whole table periodically, so less routine overhead. The trade off is they generally need more memory and CPU power on the router and can be more complex to configure initially.
Speaker 1: And then there are hybrids like eig.
Speaker 2: RP right Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol. Cisco developed it to try and get the best of both worlds. Faster convergence than RIP, but maybe less complex than OSPF. In some ways, it uses aspects of both approaches.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you might have multiple protocols running, maybe some static routes someone configured manually. How does a router decide which route to actually believe or trust the most.
Speaker 2: That's where administrative distance or AD comes in. It's a critical concept for designers to master. Think of it as a trustworthiness score. Lower AD wins, So a.
Speaker 1: Route learned via EIGRP with its default eight of ninety.
Speaker 2: Is considered more trustworthy than an OSPF route default one ten or a RIP route.
Speaker 1: At one twenty than static routes.
Speaker 2: Default eighty of one, usually the most trusted because presumably the administrator put it there for a specific reason. Understanding AD is absolutely key to predicting and controlling how traffic actually flows, especially when you start mixing routing sources like redistributing routes between OSPF and EIGRP.
Speaker 1: Got it trustworthiness first, but then among routes from the same protocol, how does it pick the best path. It's got to be more than just counting routers like RIP does.
Speaker 2: Oh Absolutely, hopcount is a very crude metric. Modern protocols are much more sophisticated. OSPF uses cost, which by default is calculated based on the bandwidth of the link. Faster links get a lower cost, making them more.
Speaker 1: Profitable, so ten giglink beats a one giglink exactly.
Speaker 2: EIGRP is e and more complex. Its metric can factor in bandwidth, delay, interface load, and even reliability. This allows designers to really fine tune path selection based on what matters most for the application. Maybe lowest delay for voice, highest bandwidth for file.
Speaker 1: Transfers, and the big nightmare for routing loops, right traffic going round and round forever. How do designers prevent.
Speaker 2: That routing loops are definitely catastrophic? They can melt down a network segment. Fast protocols have built in loop prevention mechanisms, things like split horizon.
Speaker 1: Don't advertise a route back out the same way you learned.
Speaker 2: It precisely simple but effective. Poison reverse is a more aggressive version. Then there are mechanisms like maximum hopcounts RAP gives up after fifteen hops EGRP typically defaults to one hundred and fundamentally good route summarization is also a loop mitigation technique. How does summarization help with loops by hiding detailed topology information. If a specific link flaps up and down within a summarized block, the rest of the network doesn't necessarily need to know or react, using instability and preventing potential transient loops during convergence. It shrinks routing tables and limits the scope of changes, crucial for scalability.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, Let's dive into some of these protocols a bit more. EIGRP, what's a key design advantage it offers.
Speaker 2: Well beyond its fast convergence using the DAL algorithm. A really powerful and somewhat unique feature for designers is its ability to do unequal cost load sharing, Meaning most protocols, if they load balance, only do it across paths that have the exact same metric the same cost. EIGRP using the variance command, can be configured to send traffic across multiple paths, even if one path is say slightly slower or has a higher metric than the best path.
Speaker 1: So you can use links that might otherwise sit idle.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you can get better overall bandwidth utilization out of your network infrastructure. That's a significant practical advantage in many designs.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about IASSI Intermediate system to intermediate system sounds a bit old school OSI, but service love it. Why.
Speaker 2: It is based on OSI principles running directly over layer two, but It's incredibly robust and scalable for enterprise designers who might encounter it or consider it. Its inherent hierarchical nature is a plus for very large networks, but maybe more relevant today is its early adoption and strong support for things like wide metrics. Wide metrics using a larger field like twenty four bits for the metric calculation. This gives extremely fine grained control over path selection compared to say OSPF's default cost calculation. It's ideal for sophisticated traffic engineering where you need to precisely steer different types of traffic down specific paths based on very subtle differences.
Speaker 1: Interesting and OSPF open shortest path first probably the most common interior gateway protocol and enterprises key design points.
Speaker 2: It's the workhorse for sure. Uses Dykstra's SPF algorithm cost based on bandwidth. Designers need to understand the neighbor relationship requirements, things like matching area IDs timers MTU sizes must match for two routers to become neighbors.
Speaker 1: In the concept of areas area zero the backbone stub areas.
Speaker 2: Yes OSTF areas are fundamental to its scalability, breaking a large network into areas limits the scope of the SPF calculation and the amount of routing information routers need to handle. For designers, a common insight is that while the different area types STUB, totally stubby, NSSA offer flexibility, sometimes simpler is better, like.
Speaker 1: Using totally stubby areas for remote sites.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a totally stubby area gets only a default route from its area border router ABR. It hides all the complexity of the rest of the network. This dramatically simplifies the riting table on the remote routers, saving resources and often making troubleshooting easier. And OSPF three just adapts this whole structure for IPv six.
Speaker 1: Right. Finally, the Big one BGP Border Gateway Protocol. This connects the Internet right. Enterprises use it to talk to their ISPs.
Speaker 2: That's its main role. Yes, BGP is fundamentally different. It's a path vector protocol. It's less concerned with the shortest path and more concerned with the best policy compliant path between different organizations, different autonomous systems or asns.
Speaker 1: So it's about business relationships and routing policies as much as technical metrics.
Speaker 2: Very much so. Enterprises mainly deal with EBGP external BTP for AP peering with ISPs or other companies, and sometimes IBGP internal BGP to carry those external routes within their own network, and.
Speaker 1: That IBGP I hear it has a scaling challenge the full mesh requirement.
Speaker 2: It does by default, every IBGP router needs to peer directly with every other IBGP router in the same as in a large network. That's a lot of connections to manage. That's where design solutions like root reflectors come in.
Speaker 1: How do they help?
Speaker 2: A root reflector acts like a central point. Routers peer with the reflector and the reflector reflects the routes it learns to its other peers. This breaks the need for that full mesh, making IBGP much more scalable in large designs. Confederations are another more complex solution.
Speaker 1: And BGP paths selectction. It's complicated with all those attributes like aspath med local preference, which one do Enterprise designers often manipulate for practical outcomes.
Speaker 2: Local preference is a really common and powerful one. It's an attribute used inside your own autonomous system. You set a higher local preference value on the routes coming in from the ISP connection you prefer to use for outbound traffic.
Speaker 1: So you tell your internal routers, hey, use this Internet link first if it's available.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's a primary tool for influencing your outbound traffic flow when you have multiple Internet connections. A very important for traffic engineering and ensuring you use your primary maybe higher bandwidth or lower cost link effectively.
Speaker 1: Okay, routing protocols chosen, paths selected, but architects need more granular control ye right and faster failure detection.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. That gets us into route manipulation redistribution. Taking routes from one protocol say OSPF and injecting them into another like BGP is powerful for connecting different parts of a network, but it's also risky. Also, you can easily create routing loops or suboptimal paths if you're not careful. So designers must use right filtering with things like route maps or distribute lists to control exactly which routes get redistributed and prevent feedback. It's essential and.
Speaker 1: Policy based routing PBR. That sounds like overriding the routing table, it is essentially.
Speaker 2: PBR lets you make routing decisions based on criteria other than just the destination address, like the source IP address or even application type, so a designer could say all traffic from the guests Wi Fi network, regardless of destination, should be sent out this specific maybe cheaper internet link. It allows for very granular policy enforcement.
Speaker 1: Very handy, and for failures, waiting for routing protocol timers could be slow.
Speaker 2: Way too slow sometimes, especially for real time applications. That's where BFD BI Directional Forwarding Detection is a game changer. It's a lightweight protocol designed purely for super fast failure detection, often in subsecond timeframes.
Speaker 1: Works across different links types.
Speaker 2: YEP, any media type, and it integrates with most routing protocols BGP, eigrp ospf isis. When BFD detects a link failure, it immediately tolls the routing protocol, which can then converge much much faster than waiting for its own HELLO timers or hold timers to expire. Critical design element for high availability.
Speaker 1: Okay, infrastructure addressed, traffic routed and controlled. But how do you actually watch all this? Keep tabs on performance health issues?
Speaker 2: Right? You need the eyes and ears network management and monitoring and the cornerstone protocol here is SNMP Simple Network Management.
Speaker 1: Protocol still simple after all these years.
Speaker 2: Oh well, the name's stuck. It's the industry's standard way for a network management system and NMS to query devices for information like CPU load, interface errors, or for devices to send alerts called traps.
Speaker 1: But security was an issue with early versions, wasn't.
Speaker 2: It huge issue? SNMPv one and v twoc used community strings, which were basically just plaintext passwords. Anyone sniffing the network could right them. That's why the critical design decision today is to use smmpv three. What is V three ad robust security? It provides authentication verifying who is asking and encryption scrambling the data. You can have different levels like off nopriv authentication no encryption or off PREV both. Deploying SNMPv three securely is non negotiable for modern network management plane design.
Speaker 1: Okay, so SNMP tells you device status, but what about the traffic itself? What's actually flowing across the network?
Speaker 2: For that level of detail, NetFlow is invaluable or its standardized version ipfax.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: It collects metadata about IP flows. A flow is basically a sequence of packets going between the same source and destination ips and ports using the same protocol. NetFlow records details like how many packets, how many bytes, timestamps to s markings, so you.
Speaker 1: Can see who's talking to whom and how much data they're sending exactly.
Speaker 2: But the surprising insight for designers is how versatile this data is. Yes, it's great for troubleshoot why is the network slow, or capacity planning, or even billing. But it's also incredibly powerful for security spotting, denial of service attacks, or unusual traffic patterns that might indicate malware, and for application performance monitoring too.
Speaker 1: Though it's more than just counting bytes much more.
Speaker 2: It gives deep visibility with relatively low impact on the network devices themselves.
Speaker 1: What about other data to aid tools network teams rely on well.
Speaker 2: CDP Cisco Discovery Protocol is ubiquitous in Cisco environments. Layer two protocol lets Cisco devices automatically find their neighbors.
Speaker 1: Super useful for mapping things out quickly.
Speaker 2: Incredibly useful shows you the neighbor's device type, IP address, the specific port you're connected to. But and this is a key security design point, you absolutely must disable CDP on interfaces facing untrusted.
Speaker 1: Networks like the Internet connections exactly.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be broadcasting details about your internal devices to the outside world. And then there's cislog for logging events, right, it's the standard way for devices, routers, switches, firewalls, s first to send event messages to a central cislog server. Messages are categorized by a facility like OSPF for system and severity level from debugging up to emergency for designers, Ensuring consistent and useful logging is configured across the infrastructure is crucial for troubleshooting and auditing.
Speaker 1: Got it eyes and ears covered. Now let's get into actually building the structures land one and cloud design. Starting with a campus land that classic three layer model core distribution, access is that's still the way to go.
Speaker 2: It absolutely still is, maybe with some variations. That hierarchical model provides a really solid framework for designing scalable, resilient, and manageable campus networks.
Speaker 1: Can you break down the rolls quickly?
Speaker 2: Sure? Access layer is where your end users and devices connect, think switches and wiring closets, provides port security power over Ethernet for phones and aps. VLAN assignments not sare the edge. Right, Then the distribution layer aggregates the connections from multiple access switches. This is a really critical layer. It often handles routing between vlands, intervland routing, enforces access control policies, defines broadcast domain boundaries, and aggregates wiring closet uplinks. It's the policy and aggregation point and the core. The core is all about speed and reliability. Its job is simply to switch traffic between distribution blocks as fast as possible. No complex policies here, just high speed transport, usually a pair of powerful, redundant switches.
Speaker 1: And this separation helps with what troubleshooting, scaling both.
Speaker 2: If there's a problem in one access block, it's less likely to impact the whole network. Need to add more users, you add access switches and connect them to distribution. Need more capacity between buildings, you upgrade the core. It provides clear boundaries and predictable performance. For smaller sites, you might see a collapsed core where distribution and core functions are done on the same switches to save cost makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, and connecting these layers providing enough bandwidth and redundancy. What are the key tools?
Speaker 2: Ether channel is a big one. Bundling multiple physical links, say four to one gig links into one logical four gig link.
Speaker 1: Increases bandwidth and provides redundancy.
Speaker 2: Exactly if one physical link in the bundle fails, traffic automatically uses the remaining links huge for resilient uplinks between layers and at the access layer. POE power over Ethernet is just fundamental.
Speaker 1: Now powering phones, cameras, wireless aps directly through the network.
Speaker 2: Cable YEP simplifies wiring massively. You have different standards now, POE, POE plus eight, Cisco's UPOE offering even more power. Designers need to calculate power budgets for their access switches.
Speaker 1: Okay, Layer two loops are the enemy in switch networks. Spanding Tree Protocol STP prevents them, but it could be slow to converge right.
Speaker 2: The original STPA. Yes, that's why we have a whole toolkit of enhancements. Port Fast is essential on ports connecting to end devices like PCs or servers. It skips the sup listening learning phases, so the port comes up.
Speaker 1: Immediately, no waiting thirty fifty seconds for the port to work. Right.
Speaker 2: Then you have security features built around STP. Bpdu guard is critical. You put that on port fast enabled ports. If that port ever receives an BTDU packet, which it never should from an end device, it.
Speaker 1: Means someone plugged in a switch where they.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't have exactly a potential rogue switch trying to participate in STP. BBDU guard instantly shuts down the port to protect the network. Root guard is another one prevents a switch on a specific port from becoming the STP root bridge. Maintaining your design.
Speaker 1: Topology and UDLD for fiber.
Speaker 2: Links, Unidirectional link detection very important for fiber where you can have a situation where transmit works but receive fails or vice versa, STP might not detect that, potentially causing loops. UDLD specifically checks for this two way communication.
Speaker 1: Moving up the stack to layer three availability, keeping that default gateway always reachable. That's where fhrps come in.
Speaker 2: First hop redundancy protocols absolutely vital. The idea is to have two or more routers share a virtual IP address and MSS address, presenting themselves as a single logical default gateway to end devices.
Speaker 1: So if one router fails, the other takes over seamlessly.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. HSRP hot stand by Router Protocol is Cisco's. It has one active rider and one or more standby riders. VRRP Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol is the IETF standard. Similar concepts with the Master and Backups and GLBP Gateway load Balancing Protocol also ciscers. The unique thing here is that it allows all participating routers to be active simultaneously, load balancing traffic across them using different virtual MS addresses can provide better resource utilization than active standby models.
Speaker 1: And for even higher levels of switch redundancy.
Speaker 2: Technologies like Cisco's VSS Virtual Switching System or the newer Stackwise Virtual and Catalyst nine thousands are game changers. They allow you to merge two physical switches into a single logical switch from a management and control plane.
Speaker 1: Perspective, so they appears one big switch exactly.
Speaker 2: This eliminates the need for STP between them, allows for true active ether channel links to downstream devices, multi chassis ether channel, and simplifies configuration significantly, huge boost for core and distribution layer resilience in bandwidth.
Speaker 1: Okay, connectivity sorted, but what about application performance? Making sure voice and video calls don't break.
Speaker 2: Up quality of service QoS? It's not an optional extra anymore. It's a core design requirement, especially if you have limited bandwidth like over a whan link, or if you run real time applications.
Speaker 1: So how does it work? Generally?
Speaker 2: The dominant model today is diffserve differentiated services. You first classified traffic, identify what it is, voice, video, book data best effort. Then you mark it, usually by setting the DSCP value in the IP header like a priority tag sort of yeah. Then at congested points in the network, routers use that marking to apply policies. This usually involves queuing, putting different traffic types into different cueues. Voice goes in a high priority low length and CQ bulk data might go in a lower priority queue. Then scheduling mechanisms decide which queue gets serviced next, ensuring the important traffic gets.
Speaker 1: Through, so you guarantee performance for critical apps even when the network is busy.
Speaker 2: That's the objective. You might also use policing or shaping to rate limit less important traffic. It's a whole discipline, but essential for good user experience.
Speaker 1: Right shifting gears. Now to the wide area network the WAN connecting different sites maybe across the country or the globe. What drives.
Speaker 2: WAN design three main things, usually service level agreements SLAS What performance and availability does the business need? Cost WAN links can be expensive in usage. What applications need to run over the WAN? The overall goal is always to support the business meet application needs, stay secure and fit the budget.
Speaker 1: What are the traditional ways companies build WANs.
Speaker 2: Historically you had options like dedicated lease lines, frame relay ATM More commonly now you see layer two VPNs from service provider, which can give you Ethernet like connectivity between sites, but can be pricey. MPLS layer three VPNs are very popular ympls, cost effective, scalable. The provider handles the complex routing between sites using technologies like BGP and VRFs virtual routing and forwarding instances to keep customer traffic separate. Plus you can usually run QoS over mpls. Metro Ethernet is also big for high speed connectivity within a city or region, and some large enterprises might even use DWDM or at least dark fiber for ultimate control and bandwidth, though that requires designing external redundancy yourself.
Speaker 1: And nowadays wireless is a bigger player.
Speaker 2: Too, Definitely four G and increasingly five GLTE are becoming viable not just as backup links, but sometimes as primary WAN connectivity for smaller branches or retail locations, offering flexibility and rapid deployment, Which brings us.
Speaker 1: To the really big shift ST one Software defined one. What's the hype? How does it change the game for WAND designers?
Speaker 2: SD one is genuinely transformative. It's an overlay architecture that decouples the WAN services routing security policy from the underlying physical transport links.
Speaker 1: Meaning you can use any connection MPLS, Internet, broadband four G exactly.
Speaker 2: That's transport independence. Designers can mix and match links based on cost, performance and reliability needs for different applications. SD one provides centralized management and orchestration, zero touch provisioning for new sites, integrated security features, and amazing visibility into application performance.
Speaker 1: So instead of configuring each router individually.
Speaker 2: You define policy centrally. Like salesforce, traffic prefers the MPLS link but can fail over to broadband or guess Wi Fi. Traffic goes direct to Internet, and the SD one controller pushes that configuration out and manages the traffic flow automatically across the entire fabric. It simplifies operations massively and optimizes performance.
Speaker 1: How does this software defined approach actually work architecturally? What are the pieces?
Speaker 2: It's typically broken into logical planes. There's the orchestration plane often called v bond and Cisco's Viptella solution, which authenticates new SD one routers and tells them how to find their controller.
Speaker 1: Good onboarding part right.
Speaker 2: Then the management plane vmanage is your single pane of glass for configuration, monitoring, troubleshooting, analytics. The control plane V smart is the brains. It learns the topology, distributes routing and policy information between the SD one routers using a protocol like OMP Overlay Management Protocol, so.
Speaker 1: V smart tells everyone how to reach everyone else correct.
Speaker 2: And finally, the data plane consists of the SD one routers themselves vh or Cisco iOS S two one routers, which actually builds secure tunnels between sites and ford user traffic based on the decisions made by the.
Speaker 1: V smart controller and bringing up new sites is easier.
Speaker 2: Potentially much easier with zero touch provisioning ZTP. Ship a router to a site, plug it in, It connects to the orchestration plane, gets its configuration and joins the fabric automatically huge time saver and.
Speaker 1: With cloud adoption booming, what does SDWE fit in? Does it help connect to AWS or Azure?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Most STWE solutions have specific cloud on ramp features. These are designed to provide optimized, secure, and automated connectivity directly into public cloud environments infrastructure as a service like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud.
Speaker 1: So extending the st one fabric into.
Speaker 2: The cloud essentially yes, making the cloud, VPC or VNA just another site on your when. They also often have features to optimize performance for software as a service SAUCE applications like Microsoft three sixty five or Salesforce. By intelligently routing traffic directly to the closest SAUCE entry point, it helps integrate the clouds seamlessly into the overall enterprise network design, whether you're using public, private, or hybrid cloud models.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers a massive amount of ground on building networks. Yeah, but the way we manage and interact with these networks is changing rapidly to which leads to our final segment, the future automation and programmability. We've definitely moved beyond just typing commands into a CLI one by.
Speaker 2: One right, oh massively. The shift towards automation is probably the single biggest trend in network operations and design right now, and it's all enabled by network APIs and new protocols like rest APIs.
Speaker 1: We hear about those everywhere right.
Speaker 2: Rest representational state transfer using standard HTTP methods like get, post, put delete. The cred operations provides a relatively simple, web friendly way to interact with network devices programmatically. Many modern devices offer rest APIs for configuration and monitoring.
Speaker 1: But then there's netcom that sounds more network specific.
Speaker 2: It is netcon Network Configuration Protocol is an IETF standard specifically designed for network device management. It's more robust and structured than just slinging CLI commands via SSH or using basic REST.
Speaker 1: How is it better?
Speaker 2: It uses XML encoding over SSH, providing clear, standardized operations like get config, edit, canfig commit. Crucially, it understands the concept of different configuration data stores. The running canfig a candidate config you can build and validate before applying, and the startup CANFIG. This allows for more reliable transactional configuration changes. You can make a bunch of changes, validate them, and then commit them all at once, much.
Speaker 1: Safer for automation, less chance of leaving a device half configured exactly.
Speaker 2: And restcon is basically a way to get rest like convenience, but using the structured data models defined by YANG which we'll get to and gRPC from Google is another option often used for high performance streaming telemetry.
Speaker 1: Okay, so those are the protocols for talking to the devices, but the automation tools need a structured way to understand the data itself, the configuration options, the status information precisely.
Speaker 2: That's where data models and formats are key. The big one here is YANG, yet another next generation. It's a data modeling language.
Speaker 1: So it defines the structure.
Speaker 2: Yes, it defines the structure, syntax, and semantics of network configuration and state data in a way that's independent of any specific device, vendor or protocol. Think of it as a standardized blueprint for what you can configure or monitor on a device. Automation tools can read these young models to understand exactly how to interact with the device via netcon or rest coon.
Speaker 1: And the actual data formats used Jason and XML.
Speaker 2: Those are the main ones. JSON Jobscript Object notation is very popular, lightweight, human readable, easy for machines to parse often used with rest con XML extensible markup language is more verbose but very structured. The standard format used by NETCN.
Speaker 1: Got it, and this leads to something called model driven te lemetry. Sounds futuristic.
Speaker 2: It's the future of network monitoring happening now. Traditional monitoring often uses S and m P polling. The NMS asks the device for data every few minutes. Poll model model driven to Lemontry flips that it's a push model. The network device streams data continuously or whenever something changes to subscribers like a monitoring system using those YANG models exactly. It leverages standard YANG models to define what data to stream and often uses efficient transports like gRPC or net conodifications. You can subscribe to specific data points like interface counters, CPU utilization, routing, neighbor states.
Speaker 1: And get updates in near real time.
Speaker 2: Potentially yes, you can configure periodic streaming every few seconds or on change streaming only when a value changes. This gives much more granular timely visibility into network health and performance compared to slower polling cycles. It's fantastic for proactive troubleshooting, capacity planning, and even feeding automation systems to react instantly to network events.
Speaker 1: Wow, that really changes the monitoring game.
Speaker 2: It really does much more efficient and insightful.
Speaker 1: Okay, incredible. We have covered so much ground from the absolute basics of IP, addressing that journey from scarcity with IPv four to the vastness of IPv six.
Speaker 2: Right, and the design implications of that shift, through.
Speaker 1: The intricate world of routing protocols, choosing between distance vector link state, path vector, understanding metrics and ad all.
Speaker 2: About guiding that traffic and in elligently and reliably.
Speaker 1: To keeping watch with network management tools like SNNP, NetFlow, cyslog.
Speaker 2: The essential eyes and ears.
Speaker 1: Then diving deep into building resilient lands with hierarchical design STP enhancements fhrps and the modern wan with mpls and especially the rise of SD one.
Speaker 2: And connecting that all seamlessly to the cloud.
Speaker 1: And finally looking at the future with automation APIs like net COF and rest cond data models like YANG, and that real time view from model driven telemetry. You should now have a much much deeper appreciation for all the layers of thought and design that make our digital world function.
Speaker 2: It's a constantly moving target too. The beauty of network design is that it never stands still. Every single concept we touched on is evolving, being refined. It keeps network architects on their toes definitely.
Speaker 1: We've seen how decades of problem solving shaped things, tackling IPv for limits, building routing protocols moving towards this software defined automated future. So as these technologies keep racing forward, here's something to think about. We talked about core principles scalability, high availability, security. How much further can these principles be pushed? How might they be fundamentally redefined by the automation, the programmability, the AI even that's starting to permeate network design. What new challenges and what incredible new opportunities will emerge as a network itself becomes even more intelligent and adaptable