Speaker 1: Gannetta's long awaited body to tackle foreign interference has come into effect. Anton Bogemann has been named the country's first ever Foreign Influence Transparency Commissioner. He will be responsible for managing and maintaining the public registry, enforcing compliance and issuing penalties, and providing public guidance, and referring criminal threats to security agencies like CEESIS or the RCMP. Commissioner bogeman joins me, Now, thank you very much for your time today. The office is now up and running. Have you had any outreach with anyone registering yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah. We actually had one registration come into the office on our first day, on the fourth, and that's currently with the team to review that registration make sure it complies with the regulations. So I know at least one has come in. But there is a time leg built into the legislation, so any existing arrangements must be registered within sixty days of the coming into into force, so that's by October third, and then any new arrangements that start after the coming into a force, there's fourteen days within which those need to be registered.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us anything about the first.
Speaker 2: One other than it is from I believe a civil society organization that is working with a foreign principle, but I don't have the details on that.
Speaker 1: Okay. One thing that you had mentioned in some of your interviews leading up to this moment is that you had not been brief yet by Canada's national security agencies. Have you had any briefings yet and have you learned anything about sort of the state of what you'll be dealing with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so those are still in the progress of getting set up. You need to go to a secure location and getting one of those away from Ottawa. It's proving just a little bit challenging, but that will happen in the very near future.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, there may be some confusion among Canadians about what exactly your office does and what your office does not do. From your perspective, what do you see as the priority for you in this role. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the mandate of the office, and with the new legislation that comes in it establishes the new office. It established is myself as commissioner and really a public registry of foreign influence activity. So my role is to administer the new statute, to maintain the registry, to make sure that the information in the registry is made publicly available to Canadians as well as to monitor compliance and enforced compliance when necessary.
Speaker 1: Now, you told our colleagues here at CBC that your office will not be solving foreign interference. Of course, it is something that Canadians has been front and center for Canadians with the concerns that have been reported on over the past couple of years. Can you sort of explain why that's not what your office is going to be focusing on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe just to reinforce that my office and the new transparency legislation, the Foreign Influence Transparency and Accountability Act, it's really about ensuring transparency for these influence activities carried out on behalf of foreign principles that are targeting our political and government processes. So it's an important new tool. It's a tool that wasn't there previously and is definitely part of the solution, but part of the solution alongside the other work that the other agencies are doing, the other National security agencies Department, you know, the Ministry of Public Safety, r cmp cis CSE, the Rapid Response Mechanism, and those that we're working within their own mandates to address those aspects of foreign interference that are not part of mind. So, you know, talking about the illegal activities, the you know, coursive activities, things like transnational repression, cyber attacks, those sorts of things, they're outside of our mandate. Our mandate is just on making transparent the foreign influence activities that are targeting our political and governmental processes.
Speaker 1: Do you think it would be helpful at any point if perhaps your mandate were expanded to include some of those things that you just mentioned. They are some of those things that are deep concerns for Canadians.
Speaker 2: As this is just launching, you know, I hesitate to make any comments on that at this point in time, but certainly what I do see as part of my role and what I've done in previous roles when I was Chief Electoral Officer in British Columbia is I do watch very closely how the legislation is implemented, what the impact are, and understanding how that is being put in place, so that I can make recommendations to parliamentarians if I think that any changes need to be made around the Act, around the regulations and around the mandate.
Speaker 1: How are you going to assess when something sort of crosses a line and is worth the attention of national policing agencies or intelligence agencies in Canada. What tools do you have to sort of assess whether it's something for you to be dealing with or something for law enforcement to be dealing with.
Speaker 2: Yees. So we're part of the national intelligence community, we're part of the national security community. We have MLUS currently, you know, with the RCMP and ceases to enable exchange of information joint activities where necessary, as well have an internal capacity within the organization, you know, to be monitoring what is taking place in the environment. So part of that is understanding what mandates are in place, understanding the leavers that the other agencies have, and knowing how those fit into our mandates. So we'll be able to if we come across something that obviously is outside of our mandate that does fall under the legislation of the other agencies, we'll be able to pass that on to them.
Speaker 1: Your office has the ability to impose fines on anyone found to be sort of violating this violating the law here. Do you think that there needs to be more teeth here? From your purview, it should go beyond fines. I'm not quite sure what it would but is there something that you think that perhaps to send a message to ensure compliance, Is there something further that could be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean certainly, enforcing compliance with the new laws and the new requirements is an important aspect of maintaining deterrence against you know, kind of covert foreign influence activities. Right now, of course, the clients mechanism and the enforcement mechanisms haven't been tested. There's a wide range of administrative penalties that we will be administering, from two hundred and fifty dollars to one million dollars in terms of a fine, and of course then becomes that any violation will be public, so there will be a naming and shaming component to that. But the act also establishes offenses on the criminal side for perhaps more serious offenses, perhaps if someone was deliberately obstructing the work of the Commission, and in that case the RCMP can enforce those and that includes jail time up to five years and finds it up to five million dollars. So there is a teeth in the legislation. As I mentioned before, I'll be watching how this works, and I do have the ability to know to write reports to parliamentarians with any recommendations for change.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you report to Parliament, as you just mentioned there, one year from now. If you were to sit here and have a conversation about how the first year is gone, what are the benchmarks, What does success look like like to you one year from now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think success one is going to be that the office and these requirements are well understood by Canadians, by businesses that may be, you know, working with foreign principles, by civil society groups, by academia, by the media, by parliamentarians, legislators, public officeholders at all levels. I think that's going to be really important. I think also that you know that that there are registries in the register that that individuals and organizations who are carrying out this activity are making these activities transparent when they're impacting political and government processes in Canada. You know, transparency, it's one of the most effective tools I think that we have to help build resilience against foreign interference to help maintain trust in democratic institutions. And with this new registry, adding an additional new tool to the mix. Seeing it working, seeing it working in place, I think is going to be an important accountability measure.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you very much for your time today. Commissioner Anton Bogman is Canada's foreign influenced transparency commissioner.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much,