Speaker 1: Just Jackson Brown Kch's little Jackson Brown.
Speaker 2: He did. Indeed, at least I knew it.
Speaker 1: Most of Chris's selections go by me. Christopher Camaradie on a Friday. This was it was on a soundtrack and it's escaping Me helped me?
Speaker 2: Which soundtrack times?
Speaker 1: Yes, fast times, somebody's baby Jackson Brown? Well played two K. We're doing a little eighties on a Friday. Any inspiration or you just like the song slash the movie, Well.
Speaker 3: It's eighties Day on the drive. And I would highly recommend the yacht rock documentary that is now.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, yes, I am.
Speaker 3: A yacht rocker, which might be a little bit of a surprise to you, but very chill, entertaining background music. I would say it's a couple steps ahead of elevator music, but it's not music that you necessarily have to be emotionally involved with. That being said, it's tremendous, it's very good. I would recommend it to anybody who likes music.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll watch it because it's on HBO Max. I've seen it a couple of times. Is that did Bill Simmons do that?
Speaker 2: Did I see it?
Speaker 3: Was? Correct?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Yep? Yeah, and they got they got lots of big players, man. And you know, this yacht rock thing just kind of percolated within the last I would say, like five to six years. It's always kind of been like the Christopher Cross, Jackson Brown, Doobie Brothers, Michael McDonald, like, it's been around, but it didn't really necessarily have a name to fall under. And it's cool, man, It's enjoyable. I think, like for if you're like into the cultural zeitgeist of things, it's a very enjoyable watch.
Speaker 1: I'll have to check it out definitely. Have you seen The Agency, the new show on Paramount Showtime. I have not highly recommended, because I need to recommend something to you that you haven't seen for all of the the stuff that you've recommended to me. So I'll definitely definitely check out y'ah Rock. All right, c K, I have a random question right off the top because I want.
Speaker 2: You just to guess hit me.
Speaker 1: There is a dating service called wallet hob and they have for the past year gone through the data to rank cities for singles one through one hundred and sixty in America.
Speaker 2: Where do you think Salt Lake ranks?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm gonna I think you're trying to trick me. I'm going to say Salt Lake's in the top fifteen.
Speaker 1: Number thirty five, right behind Las Crusis, New Mexico and a head of Missoula, Montana.
Speaker 3: I've never been to Las Crusis. I've heard great things love Missoula, but I mean, thirty five is not that bad?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Or are we? Are we operating under the assumption and the stereotype that everybody here is already in a relationship slash married? Is that why we're so low in theory?
Speaker 2: I guess I don't really know what the data is.
Speaker 1: I should probably look into that, but it just it popped up on on social media, so I'm sending it to all my single friends to see what they have to say. Anyway, nobody cares moving on since you and I last spoke, I believe Yes, that's right, Coach Wit coming back, you're twenty one for Kyle Whittingham, as I tend to do. Christopher, I'll give you the credit for calling this a while back. I don't know how much of your reasoning you want to bring on air, but when I off air, flow to the possibility of this being Kyle's last season. You summarily dismissed it.
Speaker 2: Why is that.
Speaker 3: That's a good question, because even now, in the wake of all the change that the program has undergone in like the last ten days, I'm honestly shocked that Kyle is coming back to do it again this way. This is just conjecture on my part, So nobody should take this as any sort of reporting. I just think Eric Kyle is a creature of habit and his favorite thing to do is to coach football, and he makes a lot of money doing it. He is the chairman and CEO of Utah Football. You could make an argument of Utah Athletics. You know, he is the highest paid public employee in the state of Utah. He holds a tremendous amount of power and sway at the university. And you know, even though he said it that last presser before the UCF game, that you can't really ever time perfectly, you know, the exit. I just can't. I just don't think Kyle could stomach going out on the longest losing streak that the program had since the year I was born, you know, thirty eight years ago. I just don't. I just don't think that that's part of his DNA. So that being said, I am stunned, to be honest with you, that he is taking part in this massive undertaking that has to see his program basically start from scratch on one side of the ball and deal with a bunch of yes nos and maybe's in the transfer portal. What I mean, I think I think Kyle does his best work and I think he enjoys it the most when he gets to prove people wrong. And I think going into next year, if we're projecting, I think a lot of people will be very skeptical of Utah's you know, stance in the Big twelve. I guarantee you they won't be a top four pick next year. And you know, I think Kyle likes that, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Shout out John Paul.
Speaker 1: There's a little Kendall Roy Logan Roy thing going on here. Do you think there's any anxiety at all from Morgan to start his tenure. I mean he's still very young. People forget that Morgan's very young. I think he's forty three, forty four thereabouts, So it's not like, you know, he's got decades left if he wants it.
Speaker 2: But do you think there's any like, Hey, it's my turn, dad.
Speaker 3: The eldest boy. I don't think so, just because I don't think we will see Kyle coach into his seventies. You know, I didn't think we would see Kyle to coach until he's when he's sixty five. He proved me wrong. So but I think the fact that Morgan and Kyle were in lockstep together on the offensive coordinator position hiring, I would assume that Morgan has a lot of say in what style of offense they want to deploy, and that was the reason why they went after the types of targets that they did. And I do think Kyle and Morgan are giving Jason Beck cart Blancho to speak, to come in and make the offense his own as they should. Like I think, for too long at Utah was always kind of one foot in, one foot out, new guy with old guys. Now like it's been so bad the last couple of years that clearly change needed to happen, and we're going to see, you know, starting next fall, what Jason Beck has up his sleep.
Speaker 1: And since you and I last spoke, that is the higher So let's hone in on it. You know, according reports the third option. I suppose as far as people reporting on the process, and they do land on Jason and he brings his quarterback with him, Devin Danpierre, who, according to ESPN's rankings with a seventh ranked transfer quarterback available in the portals. So that's not nothing. Wonder what that nil number looks like. But what do you make of the start of what will be a completely revanced offensive side of the football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't dove into any tape yet. I'll be sure to do that in the coming months to try to curely break down the offensive schemes and the dynamic approach of the University of New Mexico Lobos last year under Jason Beck. Rest assured you know, listeners of the drive, and rest assured Spence and Porter, we'll get there. I promise. I know you you know, looking back at it, I know people really wanted the likes of Ben Rbuckle and Mac Leftwich. But these are two air raid offense offensive guys, and the air raid just I don't know if it coincides with the style and culture of Utah football. Like air raid AIRA teams generally are trying to beat you fifty to thirty five or sixty to forty two.
Speaker 2: Like, I still.
Speaker 3: Think Utah's kind of the bedrock socker of Utah football is defense, controlling the clock, being a dynamic offensive team on the ground. And you know, I think Jason Beck, by all accounts, is more of a natural fit if we want to believe that the air raid isn't more of a natural fit to coincide with Morgan Scully and Kyle Whittingham's defense. So, you know, everybody that's much smarter than me, especially locally, guys that have played college football and in the NFL, say that this is the right higher. I listened to Mike Sanford Junior on your show earlier this week. Was really good by the way. I thought he had, you know, a lot of interesting, you know, insightful things to say about Jason and his offence. So getting Devin Dampier here obviously was I don't want to say part of a package deal, but it was kind of a no brainer, especially considering while we haven't heard where Cam Rising stands, I think most people believe that he won't be back at Utah. So you're talking about an entirely new quarterback room starting from scratch and it would behoove Jason Beck to get the guy that he you know, got to orchestrate a very fun, tantalizing offense last year. That being said, I know Utah fans are very excited about the idea and the possibility of a true dual threat quarterback. You know, I know he accumulated like thirty somethings total touchdowns last year, rushed for almost twenty, he did throw. You know, he was twelve for twelve twelve twelve interceptions, twelve touchdowns passing last year. It's not great, like I think Isaac Wilson had almost similar numbers. So I think people should pump the brakes in terms of let's see who Utah can put around him, Let's see what type of running back room is around him, and who's he tote the ball to Spance Like, I know, we've beaten this horse dead over and over and over again for years, but I think the wide receiver room is almost as empty as the quarterback room. So I know that there is you know, anticipation and excitement for potentially a lot of upside with this new offense and with Devin Dampier. But you're talking about a mobile quarterback. And listen what has Utah gone through the last couple of years. They're going to get Devin Dampier to come in and start games. I think you can make an argument that you're only as good as your backup quarterback in college football. We're about to find that out with Georgia in the playoffs. With Carson back out, like, the deal is not done. Jason Beck and his staff have to go out and figure out who is going to be able to back up Devon damp here. Because if you have a true dual that threat quarterback, the odds of a dual that quarterback like Devon lasting an entire year without getting banged up, it's very very minimal.
Speaker 1: If your surname is Gunner Stockton, don't you have to be an awesome quarterback or an awesome point guard. I mean you have two paths in life. If that's your name, Yes.
Speaker 3: Well I think I got it. Does it end on Ar or Er? Is it Gunnar or is it Gunner? Like? I think that there's a distinction there that we have to figure out.
Speaker 2: The announcers are saying Gunner Stockton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Er, so it's yeah. Gunnar would be more of like a Nordic.
Speaker 2: Approach.
Speaker 3: Gunner is, you know, seems way more in line with a young man born to be a quarterback in the town of Tiger, Georgia. So h yeah, it's a great football name. It's an sec name, and the dogs are going to see how far mister Gunner can take me.
Speaker 1: What what do you said in your son up? If you name him Leo and he lives in Salt Lake?
Speaker 2: What what? What are the career paths there?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Future left back at r s L. I mean, he's he's a lefty. He likes to he likes to stand in people's way when you're trying to get around him. He's always going to be goal side. So uh, I mean obviously the obvious goal is to get him into the academy and and get him to the first team eventually.
Speaker 1: Let's got let's get that done now. Just so you know, I learned that like last week MLS open like half trade day. Uh yeah, that's that's Do you not know about the re entry draft, Spence? I learned about I know about the re entry but the half trade day thing is the perfect MLS It's so dumb, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it's among among the dumb things that MLS does its off season is among the dumbest.
Speaker 2: It's a dumb league, man, I'm.
Speaker 3: Telling you, like, if the league could find a way to even carve out a semblance of room for off season intrigue and drama. I know the world soccer market is nothing like our domestic leagues here, but the reason why there are domestic leagues here take off is because, like I said on the show last week when I was in the studio, like people are more interested in the off season more often than not than they are in the season itself. Because people are so attached to their smartphones and their laptops and their social media. They're waiting for the next tweet, They're waiting for the you know, there's no longer WOJE bombs, but they're waiting for something from Adam Schefter or Jeff Passon or like Diana Russini. They just want something new to kind of satiate their appetite for what could be. And you can you can tie that to the need for MLS. But I think that's a huge reason why, you know, tangentially, I think that's a huge reason why college football is taking out at the level as it is now because with the portal, basically any minute of any day, your team could either lose its best player or gain it. It's potentially it's best player.
Speaker 1: Well, and also MLS they're liars. I don't know if you heard Trey earlier, but you and I were debating how many people would watch MLS Cup and we settled on five hundred thousand. The linear number was four hundred and thirty thousand. And when I asked Trey about the number, you said, well, two and a half million watched on Apple and I said, can I have the reference? He said no, so we might as well say a billion people watched MLS Cup on Apple TV. They're liars, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of them brutal. I mean, I know the teams weren't that intriguing from a you know, national international point of view. Congrats to the Galaxy, but man, can you imagine like what those numbers would have been if it was like Miami and LAFC or Miami in Seattle even, Like, I just it's hard, man, Like the more that this league grows, the more it kind of diff feats its own purpose like so to speak. And I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but like while you're growing, you're also kind of dwindling your potential reach. And I know the Apple TV deal has been somewhat successful, but again, like, you're not going to get casual fans to not only sign up for Apple tv Plus but then pay extra for mls. You're just not going.
Speaker 1: To Then you can just lie and say two and a half million people watched with no reference point. It's just ridiculous. Anyway, away from that, I wanted to get so. We had our guy, Gordon Montson Live and studio this week and Gordon said a sentence that people have said, including myself, and the sentence was, Kyle Whittingham has earned the right to tell us when he's done.
Speaker 2: Has he?
Speaker 3: I think so? And it's hard not to be overreacting to what you see on social media because that is obviously not real life. But it is fascinating to see a fan base get so up in arms regarding the state of a program that has had three down years and twenty under Kyle and like, you can make the argument that while twenty twenty four was flummixing for a number of reasons, it was it was that because of the tremendous amount of injuries. They once again had at at their most important position in twenty thirteen twenty fourteen when they went five to seven, Like they were like not a talented team. They had good defensive players, but they were nowhere near the cream of the crop of the Pac twelve. They eventually got there, you know, five or six years later. But it is wild to see people say, like it's Kyle's time to go, it's Morgan's time. Like I'm just of the opinion that, like, until you have data that it's not working for several seasons in a row, it just doesn't make sense to want to know, move away from it. Like if we're if we're dividing seventeen by twenty spence, what is that? Come on, you're the math major. That's like ninety three percent success rate, meaning you're getting to a bowl at minimum ninety three percent of the time Kyle Whittingham has been your head coach? Are you kidding me? Like, but again, I think this is also a byproduct and Kyle's almost a victim of his own success that he's cultivated here. Is that the expectations here are so high that when they're not met, when you're not smelling Roses. When you're not getting a first round playoff game or even a bye, people think that change needs to happen, and I'm just not of that opinion yet. And like I said, if we eventually get data, like if Utah cannot figure itself out in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six, we can have a conversation. But until then, I think it's low hanging fruit to say that Utah needs to make a coaching change because they've had one bad year. We talk about last year, spencely what eight and four with a bunch of dudes that like nobody's really heard it from anymore, Like that's insane. And last year was the best year that the Pac twelve ever had. So I understand that people were frustrated about the injuries. I get it, but like everybody needs to put the Twitter down, go listen to some Kenny G, you know, Christmas music and take it easy.
Speaker 2: Not Kenny G.
Speaker 3: I mean, yes, yes, Kenny G.
Speaker 2: No, not Kenny G. Christmas music. There's so many good Christmas albums out there. You can't land on Kenny G.
Speaker 3: Do you background music? Background music? Spence background music.
Speaker 1: The only other person I know that likes Kenny g is my father. You listen to Kenny G.
Speaker 2: Bro Wow.
Speaker 3: If I have something in common with Big Dave, then that makes me feel very accomplished.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: But don't make me run down the catalog of his other Christmas legs because.
Speaker 2: It's depressing riding in the car with the man.
Speaker 1: But moving on, Look, let me remind you of a quote that you may have forgotten Christopher about coach with you either die a hero.
Speaker 3: Or or you live long enough to see yourself to come to villain.
Speaker 1: And to your point, I don't know how many of these are young Utah fans, millennial Utah fans go vape and stream on Twitch or whatever you do, but there are a lot of people that I've been surprised. And every time I say this, I have to remind folks. So I'll say into this microphone, my opinion is that Kyle has earned the right to tell us when he's done. And I'm old enough to remember what Utah football was like before Coach Mac and before Urban and before Kyle, And to your point, two years ago was a phenomenal coaching job.
Speaker 2: And the year before that they were in the freaking Rose Bowl.
Speaker 1: But I wonder when it comes to the power brokers, the people that are writing checks for Utah football, and there is an arms race going on in collegiate athletics locally and nationally, and there is a feel that community that the arms race right now is being one by the school about forty miles down south that appears to have some very powerful basketball people writing checks for very excellent, exciting young basketball prodigies. And the football team had a better year than the you know, the team up here at the University of Utah. So I wonder if you're Taylor Randall and Mark Carlin and you have to listen to the voices of the people that are writing checks, are they on board with Kyle continuing or are they kind of pining for a bit of a change.
Speaker 2: And I honestly don't know the answer.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's I mean, this would be a great segment for reality check. I mean, I'm just saying, like we could go on for a couple hours about this and ran really dug into it, but we have six minutes BYU has a billionaire backer who is bankrolling its basketball team, and in this area, you can and I know that you know Cougar fans are doing backflips that they got Ajdabansa, but the reality is Aj will be there one year and if you know, they don't win the national title, it's cool that he was their year, but then he's gonna move on and probably be the number one overall pick in that next year's draft. Football, however, is always going to be the ultimate driver of interests, the health of the athletic department, whatever school you're at, for the most part. And I just don't know, like, if we're talking about big time Utah donors, are the Garths or the Eckles's or whomever, or the Huntsman's are they saying, like, yes, we need to get this defensive coordinator who's never been a head coach before in there because with his experience or lack thereof, he's going to change things overnight. I just don't see it, man, Like it doesn't make sense. I can understand that there is a little bit of frustration considering that this year Utah was supposed to be in the playoff. Finally they are you know, quote unquote original BCS busters whatever. But like Utah has in theory the easiest transition from legendary head coach to next head coach. You're not going to have to go out and hire a search firm and try to vet who could come to Utah and understand the quirks and the ins and outs, and the fact that a third of the roster is going to be you know, white, a third is going to be black, a third is going to be Polynesian. That will all continue under Morgan because Utah is an interesting place and they figured out how to make it work, and that's why Utah has been so good for such a long time. But I just, for the life of me, don't understand why people think that getting rid of a guy who built what you pay for, what you watch, what gets you excited after one bad year. I don't understand why people are ready to get their pitchforks out and are frustrated that he's still in charge. Again, let's rely on data, and so far, the data has told us that in his twenty years, they've been bullet eligible ninety three percent of the time, they've won two conference championships, they've gone undefeated, they beat Alabama. What else do you want? So again, I think it's I think honestly spends it's just a victim of We've talked about this ad nauseum. Sports fans in the state spoiled beyond belief, whether you're a college fan or pro fan. Jazz fans are finally experiencing what it's like to tank in the NBA, and they hate it. College fans, whether you're BYU, Utah, whatever, they've had it good for the last fifty years, for the off and on. It just doesn't happen like this in other small places.
Speaker 2: So people are.
Speaker 3: Spoiled and this is how they react when things don't go their way.
Speaker 2: Timothy Shallow may thumbs up or thumbs down.
Speaker 3: Listen, man stunned at the game day you know, appearance, you know, props to the ultimate hipster doesn't do it for me. But apparently he's a huge Knicks fan, and like is you know, a secretive super sports fan, which I didn't see coming. So from an acting point of view, he's kind of a one trick pony in my mind, I want to see the Dylan movie for sure, But you know, props to him for getting on game day and basically showing out. I don't know if he ended up going undefeated on its picks, but he was impressive.
Speaker 1: All right, before I say you lose, well done, by the way, I was trying to catch off guard.
Speaker 2: But you're you're a sneaky cat, all right.
Speaker 1: Before I say you lose, I do want you to chime in on this because you referenced AJ Debantza signed with Brigham Young. BYU has two potential lottery picks on the roster this year. The Iago Demon kid might be a top five pick. They have two top thirty recruits including AJ next year and then the Burgess kid, I think is one twenty three. It's a top ten recruiting class. And and you know, you see a lot of people drying a straight line between Ryan Smith, owner of the Utah Jazz, and Ryan Smith bank rolling the BYU basketball program, regardless of what he tweets, by the way.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't work like that. There's not a straight line.
Speaker 1: But if a team has the pick ahead of the Jazz and they want to take AJ, they're going to take him. So this is not a farm system. But are there benefits that the Jazz and you know, their ownership group, can you know, reap a little bit as a result of BYU being right now the epicenter of college basketball attention.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I just think the ping pong balls bounce the way they do, and it's just it would be a bridge too far for me to like put those two things together. I think they're two separate things.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It does help that the Jazz are bad and that there are going to be more talented players in these future drafts, regardless of where they go to school. But you just have to have the ping pong balls fall your way, and historically the Jazz haven't. So if that means next year they get this, next year they get Cooper Flag and finally get the number one overall pick, I'm sure Jazz fans will be pissed that they won't get the number one pick the following year and get BYU Cougar legend aj Depantsa. I just I think it's just asking a little too much to try to put those two pieces together. But fascinated to see what happens at BYU. I mean, it's they put together a very talented roster and we'll see how they do. They just happen to play in the best basketball conference in the country, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Christopher, Thank you, sir, have an excellent weekend. I'll with chat too, my man