Speaker 1: Seven, nineteen fifty five Carosity Talk Station. It is that time of week. I always look forward to it. Former Vice Mayor of the City of Cincinnati, Christopher Smithan, joins the program every Monday at this time to do what we call the Smither Event. Christopher, Welcome back to the fifty five care Morning Show, My Charrosee Morning Show, My friend. It's always a pleasure having you on.
Speaker 2: Oh brother, thank you so much for having me on. And I tell you I'm praying for all the people across our countries are who are being impacted by the flooding. Oh yes, all that's all children who lost their lives, you know, older people, people that are that are devastated. They're losing their property. And the only thing I'll say out loud, and I know you know you you your heart goes out too, is people have to just drive carefully, like think about what you're doing out there. There's a lot of water on our highways. Hydro Planing is real, and that's kind of the method that I sent out there to to my family. Just be careful and take your time. And this water is not going to receive probably all week we're going to get more. So we just have to be careful and waited out. But my heart goes out to all the people across the Midwest and across the country down in the South who've lost a lot, you know, by the rainfall that we've had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that one video that there was a house floating down the river or somebody's entire house got washed away, you know, And that kind of thing does happen in flooding. But you know, as you point out, there are steps you can take to protect yourselves and don't take any chances driving through flooded roads. I mean, sometimes it can be a lot deeper than you think. Your car could get washed away. You're certainly having a possibility of the engine stalling out. I mean, there's not a whole lot of cars out there in the world that have snorkels on them that allow the intake to continue to consume air. So you know, don't don't be stupid about the water on the roads.
Speaker 2: Man. No, and six inches of water, I mean, you don't know what you don't know if you if you have some type of major pothole, you know, due to that, you're dealing with water that's contaminating it. You step on a nail or something, and and and and now your impacted. That was so you just have to be you just have to be very very careful. Yeah, here's what I would say.
Speaker 1: And this is the first time we waited real quick here, since this is the first time we've talked, I cannot tell you how how upset, sorry, and frustrated I was for having missed our our lunch appointment on Friday.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It just I felt so badly for I just kind of went into my typical Friday zone out mode after the show's over, and I zoned out completely. And I feel like I really let you down.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I was looking forward to that too.
Speaker 2: Brother, we will get together and and it will it will, it will come together. Is it is no problem. You know. What I want to do is just shout out to you. I had a great conversation with Corey Bowman's running for mayor, and I just want to say it was a great, great meeting, great conversation. It was. It was very nice meeting his wife, who is expecting their fourth child. And I would encourage other people who who you know, when when candidate Bowman is out there running, that they take the time no matter what their political persuasion is to take the time to get to know them. So I just want to share with you there's a primary coming up, obviously there's a general election. I was very excited and enjoyed my conversation with him, and I'm going to endorse him. So I'm asking other people to look at him very very closely. You know. You know, we're as an independent and as a person who's been out in politics. I don't tell anybody how to vote. I can just tell them this is what I'm thinking as I look at what's happening in the city of Cincinnati as it relates to infrastructure, crime. Our CRS pension obviously is getting banged up real bad, you know, over the past a week. But that matters when you're sending out ten million dollars a month to retirees. So we've got to make sure that we are electing people that are very interested in dealing with the financial situation that the city is under. So I want to publicly say a great conversation with him, and I definitely will endorse him in the primary and in the general election against our current mayor.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously, I think it's I expected that in a way, Christopher, because I know you and I know you're all about logic, common sense, and reason, and you've got your issues with the current administration. And I think Corey does represent a refreshing alternative to what has become the norm in the city of Cincinnati. He's going to have an uphill challenge that you got to admit with. And I don't think that the makeup of council is going to change. I mean, individuals may be different, but it's still going to be a bunch of Democrats. Knowing how blue the city is, well, what.
Speaker 2: I can say is that you know, there's some big things that are going on. If we're following what's happening in High Park. As an example, there's a major hotel that they're trying to put up where many people in High Park are saying they're not follow the law, which is another way of saying they're not following the code, and they're trying to put something up that's really really big and tall, and they feel like it's going to impact the Highe Park Square area. And I'm sharing with you High Park residents are waking up, and I think as they organize. They're going to be looking at people like a Corey Bowman, or they're going to be looking at different council members. And what I will share with you is their moments in Cincinnati history where there are things that happen that change elections. This could be one of those based on what's happening in High Park because right now they don't feel like people at city Hall are listening. The fifty one neighborhoods, yes, right, the other fifty one neighborhoods are waking up, going hold on city Council and the mayor aren't listening to us. We're saying we don't we're not against development, we just don't want this thing that's too big, too tall. We wanted to fit in with our square and they just are not getting the kind of support that they thought they should get. So look for High Park and places like not lookout to be waken up and that that could be a big opening for Corey Bowman.
Speaker 1: It really could, and we all know Hyde Park is a rather wealthy community and that could result in some campaign contributions going into Corey's coffers, which he could certainly use.
Speaker 3: And in fact, since we mentioned Corey.
Speaker 1: He's got an event of Price sal Chile beginning at five pm tomorrow evening if you want to meet him. He's really approachable, He's a very friendly guy, and he just absolutely loves this city. I mean, he has expressed just a profound love for the city of Cincinnati, and it comes through loud and clear, not just in his you know, his positive attitude about the city, but I think in what his platform is. You can go to Coreybowman dot com and check that out. We'll pausible bring Christopher back more topics to talk about with him. But first, a real positive word for Suzette Loe's camp with Cross Country Mortgage. She will help you with any mortgage related need in question. She'll find the right program to fit your nieds, working with whole kinds of different products. She's not wed to one specific bank. That's he's your broker. H seven thirty here, fifty buck here. So you talk station Brian Thomas, engage in a conversation with Christopher Smitheman this Smither event. Christopher, what else is on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Well, Stephanie Turner, who is a United States of America of fencer, took a knee yeah, in the last four or five days, and it just continues to blow me away, Brian Thomas, that we're still having these national discussions about female sports. I want to again make it clear that men should not be competing against women in their sports. It is a safe place for women. How can you how can you be in Women's History Month that we just finished, or say that you're a dad, you got a daughter. You know you're a dad, or you're a mom and you have a daughter and you think it's okay, hey for a dude to compete against your daughter in any sport. I mean, it's We're just we're swinging so far to the left on some of these common sense discussions. But to have this woman be so courageous to say I'm taking a knee. I am not going to fence a man. I'm not, and I guarantee you as a fencer, she has been practicing and competing her whole life, and for her to take a knee like that right probably disqualified her and put her in a very bad position as she's trying to advance in her sport. And I'm just saying I want to commend her for having the courage, But again, it just it gives me another moment to say she's right, and I am tired of the Democratic Party continuing to push this agenda. You know that men should be competing against women and boys should be competing against girls in their sports. Brian Thomas, I think it's outrageous and I think that we have to continue to be outspoken about it so girls and women understand that there are men that are standing in solidarity with them, saying that this is a safe place. And I'm a person that supports the LGBTQ plus community. I'm not this anti gay person. I'm saying this is too far. It has nothing to do with LGBTQ plus issues. Keep men out of women's sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I'm on record is agreeing with you completely on that one. And you know I've always used the illustration just look at the world records. Look at the world records in any given sport. You know, I like your daughter's a swimmer. I mean the fifty free fifty meters freestyle, the male record is I think two or three seconds faster than the world record for the females. Why because men have a physical advantage over women, and there's no arguing against that. And you know, when you think about transgender individuals, I'm not even gonna argue about you. Listen, I believe you believe you're the opposite sex. I'm not arguing with you over that. You're entitled to your beliefs. Maybe you need psychological help, maybe you think you don't whatever. I can live into the same banner of freedom as that person. But when it comes to actual fairness in competition, just because you say you're a woman, you shouldn't be allowed to compete against women because of that unfair natural physical advantage you have done.
Speaker 3: End of story. I don't know. I mean we're supposed to. It is common sense.
Speaker 1: We're supposed to and and the other component of this, it always bothers me, Christopher, is that you and I are supposed to change our belief system to cater to their belief Now, I know for a fact, even if you do transgender surgery, you lop parts off or you sew them on, your chromosomal reality is not altered.
Speaker 3: Buy that.
Speaker 1: That's a scientific fact. And I'm supposed to just accept that. No, you're a woman, now what No, I'm not gonna do that. I'll let you live your life that way. Fine, I'll you know, You'm brace. I could be friends with you, but don't expect me to change my mindset when mine is based on scientific reality.
Speaker 2: This is why so many Democrats continue to say that they did not leave the Democratic Party, but the Democratic Party left them. Yeah, and they keep moving in this direction, putting our girls and our women in these unsafe environments. There was a there was a story out of a field hockey game where there was a man competing against This is a college game, it's my understanding. But he threw that puck so hard that it knocked her teeth out in the front, like some of her front teeth. This is this is unsafe, Brian Thomas, and I'm going to continue to stand with them. And again, Stephan he turned her, had a lot of courage to take a knee because she's gonna pay a price. He's not like, oh, she's not gonna pay a price. To anybody that's listening, this is a woman who took who took a knee and said I'm not doing this, and and the and the bottom line is we need more women out there saying this is too far. And I just want to verbally stand in solidarity with her. I had the opportunity to speak at Oak Hills last week. Uh, there's a there's a great coach out there, Coach Price, their superintendent, Jeff Brandt, and Pastor Kirk, who actually is the pastor for the Reds. He's there, he's there, he's their pastor for the for the Cincinnati Reds. And a friend of mine, Eric Keaton, got me out there to talk to them. And again this was to their athletes, right and so when in that room, right as I'm sitting there thinking I would not want men competing against our boys, competing against the girls that I was speaking to, and I wouldn't want a man competing against a woman. And so they are all in agreement and a cord that we've got to keep these safe places. But it was a great time. I enjoyed meeting all of the staff and faculty out at Oak Hills, and I look forward to going back and talking to them again. Brian Thomas, I want to share with you Corey Bowman sent me a text message. Early voting starts tomorrow for the mayor's race for the primary, So at the end of the day, you know, people don't even know probably that that primary kicks off tomorrow. This is the last day to register the voter, to update your address. And so yet again I want to encourage he can't run. He can't run for mayor if he doesn't win the primary. So this is the first step. So people shouldn't sit it out. They should show up and vote for Corey Bowman.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the reminder on that one. Let's spring Christopher back for a few more minutes. We're gonna pause. I'll mention play if it's about Garrosed Station. Ryan Thommins with the former vice mayor of the City of since sing Christopher Smithman at vote Smithmen on your ex accounts, how you reach Christopher?
Speaker 3: What else do your mind to day?
Speaker 2: Christopher, Brother, We've got some federal courts that are just going wild out here, and it's my understanding there about six hundred of them, these judges that keep trying to control the executive branch of the United States of America. And for me, it doesn't matter with the libertarian parts of my politics, or the independent part of my politics, or the Republican parts of my politics. You know, the reality of it is, we have a separation of power for a reason. And so it's really important for citizens to understand, no matter what their politics are, that separation is there for a reason. And these courts are going crazy. It is so unacceptable, and I am shocked that the Supreme Court may happy opportunity having clarified the power of these courts. So the reality of it is, I pray that these deportations of gang members of who are called MS thirteen gang members, no matter what the gang they're involved in. And my understanding is they're arresting some of these people Brian Thomas, right out of suburban homes. You know, they've got their kids out there, I'm a dad whatever, boom boom bam. But they're living next to somebody who's a gang member. And maybe the people in the community didn't even know it. But you're living here illegally. You came illegally, you're living here illegally. And these courts are trying to intervene and give people who have jumped the fence, broken the prompt the process. Other people that came here legally and followed the process. They're trying to reward them in some kind of way. So this is a very interesting fight that I'm watching very closely, and I really hope the executive branch wins here for all of us. I don't want to see courts undermining elections when you have a person who was elected, no matter who they are, by the United States of America, to have a court try to tell them what they can and cannot do with their executive power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course I firmly believe that we need to reform our immigration laws to provide some extra clarity on who we can kick out. And you know, the idea of being able to throw someone out without going through this long and arduous process. Now, I mean, we're so backed up in these immigration hearings. What are they like seven or eight years of backups. You come into the country, you get a free pass to come into the Biden administration's policies, and.
Speaker 3: Then you wait around for a hearing.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile these people just sort of disappear into the ether because the process is so slow, and they don't bother showing up to the hearings when the hearing date actually comes around.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm torn on this and the other component of this. We talk about this with the politano and people get all outrage and upset about it. But we do have a due process clause in the constitution now to declare someone is a gang member, that's one thing, and they may very well be. But you know, if someone showed up at your door and said you're a gang member, we're kicking you out of the country, you might want to argue that, no, I'm not a member of a gang, and you better kind to prove it in the court of law that I'm actually a member of a gang if I'm going to fall into some you know, process that allows you to throw me out of the country. So I'm torn and mixed in my emotions being a you know, a constitutionally based person.
Speaker 2: I think in this particular case that different agencies had defined this guy as a gang member, that he had been involved, you know. And one of the things that that's been driving me crazy with some of these college students right who are here. It's a privilege, but then you come here saying you support Hermas, You're you're demonstrating we're not talking about your free speech, we're talking about your behavior. You're throwing bricks through windows, you're setting things on fire. That doesn't give you the right to stay in this country. So when people argue and they say, well, this person has their freedom of speech, they're not being thrown out because of what they said. They're being thrown out because of what they did their actions. So they're things that you cannot do. And the other thing is you can't go into any other country and act like this and not find yourself in a prison and then they might not let you out for five or ten years. Right, we're very gracious in the United States about allowing some of the things that we have seen happen over the last four years. Look, brother, I want to close by saying our markets are going crazy. You know what I do for a living as a financial planner, and I'm going to be very cautious about what I can and cannot say. But I want to explain to your listening audience that margin calls are real. That people have gone out, they borrowed money for security that they own in their brokerage accounts, and some of this selling that we're seeing are what are called margin calls, where people are being called up meaning and say you've got to make your accounts hold. I've never done it. I don't buy things on margin. I don't buy things with loans when I'm buying securities. But you're going to see some of that, most likely that action and you don't know why that person next to you is having to sell. But some of this has to be because of some margin calls, because people were not anticipating this kind of a decline, and so as we go lower, those margin calls accelerate. That client has to either put the money in or they have to or the broker's firm will have to sell that security. So it looks it's still orderly, is what I'm seeing. I'm seeing something that's orderly, and I'm not in this kind of panic mode. Listen to your financial advisors and those financial professionals who are working with you. Do not get emotionally charged by some of the things that you're happening in the market action. I still see an orderly market out here, and some of this I think is absolutely based on people who have taken loans out and are getting margin calls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand that completely, And you know I'm I never checked my four oh one K plan, Christopher, because especially when markets go down like this, I don't want to get anxiety. They always end up going back at some point. I mean, look at how bad the markets got routed during COVID. I mean people lost, you know, one third of their entire retirement account. But if you didn't touch it, you left it there, you gained it all back and then some. So you've you've seen these cycles before, Christopher, I have.
Speaker 2: And I just say that, you know there are people out there that are working with a lot of people and seek that advice and work with those financial professionals to make sure you're not making an emotional decision. It's a logical decision. And I just want to close out by again just where I started, you know, because the election starts tomorrow and Corey Bowman is on the ballot in a primary, and they typically the primaries are very thin. A lot of people don't participate in primaries. So people should know that the election for mayor has started. It starts tomorrow, and people should get out there and vote for Corey Bowman. I want to see a change in city Hall. You know, the pothole situation is still ridiculous. The snow removal when we had it was ridiculous. Our Cincinnati retirement system is still in trouble. This the market action that we're seeing right now is not making that any better brand. And so we need to elect furious people right who are interested in solving some of the bigger problems that Cincinnati has before it's too late. I don't want somebody playing this radio interview that you and I are having saying Smitherman's been talking about the Cincinnati retirement system. We're the only city in the state of Ohio that has a retirement system, and when the retirement system goes under, so does the City of Cincinnati. Every taxpayer in the City of Cincinnati is responsible for bailing out the city SINNTI retirement system. And when I left, it still had an eight hundred million dollar unfunded liability. That liability is going to continue to expand over time. There was about two point one billion two point two billion in assets and we needed to have three billion. And so as long as we continue to elect people that take their eye off the ball and they're down there talking about what's happening in Israel and Hamah, I'm talking about on the floor of city councils passing resolutions about what's going on in Israel and Hamas. They are not serious about solving the big problems that Cincinnati has, and I just say sometimes the smaller things are the things that they should be focused on that are most important to the citizens, like potholes. I'm tired of driving over them my tires and I know they're citizens that are listening that their tires were blown out. And then you don't get a response. The city won't reimburse the citizens. They tell you that there's a process, but when you try to get into the process, and if you can't get in, the profits and so please go out there again. Vote for Corey Bowman for mayor in this primary and vote for him in the general election. Brian Thomas, I appreciate you so much giving me the time and the voice on your show on Mondays from seven to twenty until about a quarter tail of ten minutes to eight. I appreciate you, Thank you, and.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you brother. Take the weight off my shoulders, and I always love what you have to say. We'll talk again next Monday. Have a wonderful week. My friend just shout at seven fifteen fifty five Krciti talk station.
Speaker 3: You wake up with joint pain? Is it hurt doing like