Speaker 1: Kf I AM six forties later with Mo Kelly with live on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and the iHeartRadio app. Have a huge show for you tonight. It's a beautiful day outside. It was a nice drive on the way in, wasn't too much traffic. Let's get to it. How about you. Do you have a favorite grocery store?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: In fact, I will drive an extra five or six miles to get one of my preferred grocery locations. I'm sorry, but I'm not stopping at Food for Less. If that offends you, that's too bad. I'll go to Albertson's. There's not a pavilions around me. And I'll definitely stop at Ralph's, except for the one that's right by my house because that one has too many gunshots fired and according to Mark Ronner, might even have Ladies of the Evening in front of them.
Speaker 2: Depending on the location, that might just be my neighborhood. I don't know. Good evening, Mark, Hello, Mo, good evening, Stephan, How you doing, sir? Hello? How are you sir? All right?
Speaker 1: Just want to check in, make sure everyone was here. We got Carnacia here. She's going to be managing the chat on YouTube, on Facebook, on Instagram. So if you have an issue, be careful because Carnecia blocks more people than I do. Be on your best behavior, and she blocks them quicker than I would. She's like, my you have like the angel and the devil from your shoulder.
Speaker 2: She's the devil one. That's not true, no, she but I will say this. I watch it. She gives a quick warning right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should call a foul next, and there's an ejecture one chance.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: After that you're in time out. She is a person after my heart because she just understands. There will be no foolishness allowed in the chat, but some of the subjects will be discussing. Tonight, Kroger is going to close sixty locations, and if you like me, that might impact you depending on where you like to shop, where you have to shop, because with me, there's certain foods I know that are only available at my rouse, the one that I want to go to, the one that has the least amount of bullet holes in the side of the building. No, seriously, I actually shop at the one on Redonal Beach Boulevard in Venice. So don't be surprised if you see me there. That's why I do all my grocery shopping. Well, what kind of foods are we talking about here that you must go there for? They don't have a Sonic out here. For example, Sonic has these tater tots which are so damn good, so good, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: They are so good, and they're not in a lot of grocery stores. But this particular rouse has frozen. Yes, it's such a bummer that we don't have a Sonic out here.
Speaker 2: We don't. I think what's the nearest one, maybe Fullertin or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not close, So I will get my son tater tots from there. They are head, head and shoulders above all the other tater tots?
Speaker 2: And then what do you air frame or put them in the oven?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, no air frier? Okay, all right, airfire ten minutes of three hundred and fifty degrees.
Speaker 3: This is important to know what. Everybody loves tots and this isn't even a Napoleon dynamite thing either.
Speaker 2: But not everyone can make them. Well, now's seasoned differently? No, because you don't want soggy tots. I'll tell you that right now. No, soggy tots.
Speaker 1: Look no disrespect to Orida, but they're just not as good. There's too much salt. It's seasoned differently. But thus one of the foods that I have to get from my particular rouse. And also there's some fake egg products It's called eggs from plants that I'll buy.
Speaker 2: They usually have their in stock.
Speaker 1: Long story short, I've found out that I have somewhat of an egg allergy and it makes it difficult on my arthritis. True story if I eat too many eggs, and so I've been eating some egg alternative products. But if you like, if I was eating egg whites and that product egg beaters, and egg Beaters has egg whites in them, and so you know, it was wreaking havoc on my body. So I had to find particular products and they always have it at that rouse.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like egg Beaters really missed a golden opportunity by not shooting any commercials with Ike Turner.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, come on food.
Speaker 1: That would have worked five years before the B two movie. Oh please, we can't cancel you, but we can cut off your mic. Mark said that Mark, Yes, send all hate mail to at Mark Runner.
Speaker 2: The real Mark Runners, how many gold It's going to be one of those nights.
Speaker 1: We're also going to talk about how the LAPD has been allowed to use drones as first responders under a new program. I don't know if I predicted this, I don't know if I called it, but I definitely set off the conversation surrounding the use of drones and what I think is going to be an uncomfortable conversation with the Constitution. That's how I like to think of it, because when it comes to privacy, search and seizure and you have drones out there basically mapping your house, I don't know if I'm comfortable with that, And we'll revisit that conversation.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that a little bit later. So much to do tonight.
Speaker 1: Of course, you can tune in on YouTube, you can tune in on Facebook and Instagram. It's Later with Moe Kelly. We're live everywhere. In addition to that on the iHeartRadio app. We'll talk about Croker when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Am.
Speaker 1: Later with Moe Kelly, and I'll say a last segment I have my place where I got a shop as far as grocery shopping is.
Speaker 2: And I don't think I'm the only one.
Speaker 1: I think that you should recognize there's a difference in quality between grocery stores. And I'm pretty much brand loyal. Now there's an occasional Vaughan's I'll end up at if there's just nothing in my particular path, you know, a from on my way home and I need to stop somewhere. Vaughn's will do. But I'm not stopping at Food for Less, not doing it. And if you don't know, Food for Less is a subsidiary of Kroger, as is Ralph's. Like Ralphs is their lexus and Food for Less is there a Toyota? Think of it that way, except Food for Less is not even a Toyota. It's really really bad. It's their Oldsmobile Delta eighty eight.
Speaker 2: There we go. Do they have Food for lesson in Washington? I don't believe so.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen them outside of California. It may be just a California brand. But Food for is really really bad. And unfortunately, Food for Less always is near where I live, and the routs near where I Live is really bad as well. The reason I mentioned that is because Kroger Food for Less than Routes, the parent company Kroger, has said that it's going to close sixty US stores in the next eighteen months as a as a point of consolidation and hopefully improving products. Now, they don't list the prospective stores which are going to be closed. But if you're just to take the eyeball test and go through some of these stores. So the one I that's close to my house that I can't stand and refuse to go to because they're well put this way, if you walk into your Routs or Food for Less and they have armed security, that's probably not a place where you want to shop. And I mean I'm not talking about the old security guard. I'm talking about armed security because cause shots may ring out at any moment. That's my rous and it's that I want to say, Vermont and one hundred and twentieth Street.
Speaker 3: So what is the caliber of the security guards of years? Because mine they were a little liffy, You weren't You weren't confident that if stuff started going down that they'd be able to handle it.
Speaker 1: No, these were decent size, decent age youngish men.
Speaker 2: I want to say, maybe early thirties. Are we talking like gravy seals here? No? No, no, no, no, no serious guys. No, these seems like seem.
Speaker 1: Like guys who are probably trying to get into the police academy.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's how you do that.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's looked like they they're maybe law enforcement adjacent. All I know is they got their you know, they got their gun. And it's not a revolver. Okay, it's probably like it's a glock. From what I could tell, I wasn't like, you know, putting my hand on it to sea, but it seemed like it.
Speaker 2: Was a glock. Yeah, that's discouraging. Yeah, so I'm not going to shop there.
Speaker 1: And I say that to say, uh, the rouse by my house, please lease close it, Please just take it away, because when you walk in, and I've walked in it before, not only is there a likelihood of violence breaking out, but it smells rantidd there. It's like how can people shop here? But then you remember, yeah, where I live there's pretty much a food desert. You don't have a lot of grocery items. That's a serious point. There are a lot of not a lot of places to shop as far as grocery options, and so you get what you get, and you're stuck with with what you're stuck with. And I'm quite sure that's one of the lowest performing stores. If you ever go by one twentieth in Vermont, you'll see it's really, really bad. But for many people it's the only option. And if Kroger's going to be closing stores, I earnestly beg of them, please close that one, but put up something better.
Speaker 2: Oh, raise it to the ground. Yeah, there's no good coming out of that store.
Speaker 3: Now, you're not the same kind of degenerate vampire late night person I am. And I go to the store after work a lot of the time. And I don't know if you know how Harriet gets at Ralphs when they're trying to shut the doors at one and people still want in. They think they're gonna get some booze or something, and the security guards like, nope, you got to come back tomorrow, and people they don't take no for an answer all the time.
Speaker 1: They do not, and the routs by being I think they close at eleven just because it gets too dangerous. After that I don't stop at that one. Like I'll say, I'll stop at the occasional Vaughans. Going home from work, I'll stop at that vaughns On Pass, I think it is it pass that's where I go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's the And I say, I go to Vaughn's. Not choosing Vaughn's.
Speaker 1: It's just the nearest grocery store because I'd rather stop on this side of town than mine, especially if you have like something last minute.
Speaker 2: It's literally a four minute drive from the studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I don't know what there's a rouse around here, so I just go to von Well, I'll say the routes that's nearest us is. Oh, you know, it's what I'm talking about. Oh yeah, No, it's not a little sketchy. It's a lot of sketchy. Yeah, it's yeah, there's a lot of illegal things happening in that parking lot. And I didn't expect it in Burbank. And I was like, oh, I guess hood areas exist out here too, Oh.
Speaker 2: There are there are.
Speaker 1: It's just you you know when you when you're in a hood, you know that you're in a hood.
Speaker 3: Also, it's a long standing joke. I don't even know if you remember when we were kids, Johnny Carson would never fail to get a laugh when he mentioned shopping at Ralphs because it was so unthinkable that Johnny Carson would set foot in the Ralph's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting you say that because in like Studio City, they have some very good Ralphs markets.
Speaker 2: I think it's at Vineland.
Speaker 1: And when I used to live in Studio City, I would go in that Ralph's and you would see quote unquote celebrities Hollywood figures all the time, all the time. I mean it did be character actors that be movie stars. I can't remember all the people. Like I walked in one day and there was like Wayne Knight walk in. I'm trying to think all the people. It's various people from TV shows. You recognize him by faith, Oh Adam Saylor. One night, you will see people and then you realize, oh, yeah, they do go grocery shopping too.
Speaker 3: I had no idea. I wouldn't think Ralphs is for the A listers Wayne Knight, I believe.
Speaker 1: Well you think of the it's not who the A listers are, it's the location. And on Ventura Boulevard. You see like two or three different Ralphs. Now, I think they have a Whole Foods. Yeah, they do, but it's going towards Sherman Oaks, So you have one or two choices. It's either Whole Foods or Ralphs on Ventura Boulevard.
Speaker 3: You know, in six or seven years living here, I've still never run into a celebrity at a grocery store.
Speaker 1: You see me every single day time for the news. I knew you'd appreciate that. But Kroger is going to be closing sixty of their stores, which means a lot of Ralphs. Please close the one nearest to my house for Stephan's sake and mine as well. It's Later with mo Kelly ca if I AM six forty. We are live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and when we come back, we have to talk about LAP and their use of drones going forward for first responders. That is probably going to end up as a constitutional issue, but we're going to talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: KFI Later with mo Kelly Live on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And this is an ongoing conversation.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to be very transparent with you and open about how I think about these issues. And I think about not how they're presented, but how not only an intended consequences, but how they are likely to evolve. And when we talk about drone technology and law enforcement, of course everyone wants to be safe. Of course everyone wants law enforcement to be safe. Let's make that acknowledgment that we agree on. We agree on all that, hopefully we do, but then let's see where it goes from there. And I am uncomfortable with the idea of the use of drones in certain situations. We've talked about how drones will be used as far as finding out who is responsible for the use of illegal fireworks, and I complain about fireworks all the time.
Speaker 2: I would like the people who are.
Speaker 1: Using them, selling them, purchasing them to be found and arrested.
Speaker 2: Accordingly, it is a crime.
Speaker 1: But I also know that a drone flying over people's houses in over backyards to discern who is doing something illegal makes me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: That was just fireworks. Now the LAPD is.
Speaker 1: They have been approved by a civilian oversight body to an update to their policy which would allow drones to be used in more situations, including calls for service like you call nine to one one. Depending on the nature of the call, they'll send out a drone in advance, like an advanced scout, to know what police will be happening upon.
Speaker 2: And I get it. You want to keep law enforcement officers safe. I get it.
Speaker 1: And according to the new guidelines, they'll be used for high risk incident, investigative purpose, large scale event, natural disaster, and so forth. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you talk about how they're going to.
Speaker 1: Be used, you can also discern who most likely they'll be used in conjunction with. For example, they'll be sending out drones ahead of officers to help with dangerous standoffs, crowd control monitoring of mass protests for safety reasons wink wink, But department official stress that it will not be used to track or monitor demonstrators who aren't engaged in criminal activities. Well, if you're monitoring a demonstration, you're monitoring everyone. That's inclusive of the people who might be an agitator. That's inclusive of the people who are genuinely protesting and it's not about me trying to say that there is no good use for drones and surveillance and law enforcement. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just very very careful and particular when you talk about the use of drones for mass surveillance, because when you're sending out the drones, it's not to protect people, it's to surveil people.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear.
Speaker 1: When we're using it for first responders, you're sending out the drones, and there's nothing wrong with this, but let's be clear on what it is and what it isn't. You're sending out the drones as a look ahead for police, not as a response to help you, the lay person, the civilian. If you call nine one one, and let's say it's a domestic call, and this is all hypothetical, but I try to reason this all the way through and see it to its logical conclusion. You call nine one one for a domestic dispute and the drone goes out, The drone is not going to get there and help you. The drone is going to get there and give the lay of the land for law enforcement so they know what they're walking into. And I'm okay with that, because police should not have to walk in and get broadsided or blindsided by something, because everybody should be able to go home at the end of the night. But I am careful in my support because I don't want drones just hovering in my neighborhood because they are look looking for quote unquote, say it with me, criminals. I know what it's like to fit the description quote unquote. I know what it's like when you are profiled. I know what that's like to walk through a store, for example, and the assumption is that you're going to steal something. I know how that then translates to treatment. It may be a drone, it may be an actual law enforcement officer, but I know, even under the best circumstances and intentions, it can and historically has disproportionately negatively impacted certain communities. I know what it's like to be driving through Venice and be stopped and asked, how did you get this car? How did you afford this car? And my answer is always respectful and the same is my license and or registration not in order. I remember I was in Venice by Venice Beach driving a convertible as two thousand, relatively new got pulled over.
Speaker 2: Officer just went straight forward, how did you get this car? So what I.
Speaker 1: Think about law enforcement techniques and even though they may be designed to protect the community, I do think about how they may be misused because humans are fallible, Humans have biases. Humans under the best circumstances don't always have great judgment. And this concerns me when you have these first responders going out and monitoring, because we just had an array of protests here in Los Angeles, and if you have crowd control, a crowd mon and mass monitoring of people, and say, well, what do you have to worry about if you're not doing anything criminal? That's not the point. That's not the point. And I've made this statement before. It's like, look, I don't have anything stuffed up my behind, but it doesn't mean that I want to submit to a cavity search. Some things are about the principle of it all and if you're okay with it, and well, let me rephrase, I find that the people who have absolutely no complaint or concerned are the people who it does not impact and probably won't impact. If you've never had to worry about fitting the description, then this probably won't bother you at all. If you've never been assumed to be doing something criminal, then this won't have any reference point for you. If you've never worried about walking somewhere and being followed and monitored, then this probably won't resonate with you. We all have a different prison in which we look at life, and we are the sum total of our experiences. And I can tell you things and you probably say, nah, that didn't happen, MO, And yes, my experiences are real, and I can recount them to you each and every time. And I can tell you specifically, line item by line item, the times that I know that I was profiled and pulled over, that I will stopped and question told to get out and put my hands on the hood of a police car. If you don't know hot hands what those are, then you don't know what I'm talking about. If you've never been sat down on the curb ask where you're going, you won't know what I'm talking about. So I'm always always suspicious, I think that's the right word suspicious when we're talking about another layer of surveillance being used for not even criminal purposes. That's what it is. When you're telling me that you're going to be using these drones to monitor crowds. You're you're not talking about a a criminal call. You're just talking about a social mass monitoring. And that makes me uncomfortable because I know how it can be misused and abused, and we don't know, and and and in the story in the La Times, the question is articulated. You know what happens to all this video later on?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: You know, the facial recognition, And I know Mark, you agree with some of this. The facial recognition, the mass surveillance of all these cameras everywhere is used in ways that most of us don't even know.
Speaker 3: And it's just going to keep moving in that direction. If you've read anything about a company called Pallanteer run by Bigger teal uh, and if you haven't look it up, you're going to be shocked. This is some dystopian stuff and it will affect everybody, no matter what color you are.
Speaker 1: We're talking about a singular database of everyone, everyone, I mean, Gary Oldman, everyone, except it's not funny. No, it's not funny, but it is actually real.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't know know if you saw this because it was viral yesterday and last night I saw some video of a guy in a field who was kind of being stalked by a drone and he took it out with a broom handle. No, I wanted to stand up and clap in the room I was in, and I wouldn't be mad. No, you know, I wouldn't be mad.
Speaker 1: And now there's a constitutional issue of where your right to privacy begins. You know, there's a constitutional issue of the reasonable expectation of privacy when you are supposedly in the public and we are not in public in the way that you would not allow someone to just get up on your fence and look over into your backyard. I would liken this to that, because we're talking about monitoring in some instances, we're not actually talking about crime stopping or crime addressing. Now this story is talking about allowing the drones to be used as first responders. I would say it's like the away team, where they go ahead and see it advance what law enforcement may be encountering.
Speaker 2: And I absolutely agree that there is a use for it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying we should always consider the possible misuse of it in the way that Mark Ronner used, says que Bono.
Speaker 2: Who benefits.
Speaker 1: I always think about the other end of the spectrum, who might be victimized because of it, who might be penalized because of it? And if we don't have that discussion, then I think we're not having a full discussion. It's Later with mo Kelly I Am six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Litter with mo Kelly Live everyone in the iHeartRadio app. And we're having a good, respectful, thoughtful conversation in the motown chat by the Momigos talking about the use of drones, talking about how they can be used, how can they be misused. We all have our biases when it comes to law enforcement and the tactics which are used.
Speaker 2: I think we should be honest in that regard. We all have our biases.
Speaker 1: And it's usually an accumulation of our experiences. There's things that I've experienced that Tauwala hasn't experienced, and vice versa. And I think about the unintended consequences, not what you tell me is going to be. It's like, well, it could be this, and if it does that, Like, for example, I may mention a facial recognition that's kind of a neutral topic, facial recognition. There are a lot of people will think that, well, it's good, we'll know where everyone is. And there's some people that I'm just paraphrasing people's argums. Some people will say, like, hey, I don't feel comfortable with that, you know, because facial recognition is not super duper accurate. I mean, there have been a number of studies where it has shown that it has been inaccurate. There's I think it's the city of San Francisco, Mark, please correct me. I think it was San Francisco that opted out of facial recognition. I don't remember. I'm going off my memory. But not everyone is in a municipal census. It bought in on facial recognition, partially because of the unintended consequences of getting it wrong. This is why I worry when it comes to drones about what happens if and when they get it wrong, because we know that it's only going to be used in certain places under certain circumstances. That's not my read, I mean, that's what the story says it's going to be used for certain types of crimes. So that means it's going to be in a higher crime area that's gonna be used. It's gonna be used for demonstrations. So what does that mean. Okay, it's going to be used in mostly urban areas. I wonder what that leads to, you know, because when you have the drones going out first looking for fireworks and you can't see me unless you're watching the show Fireworks air Quotes, or they're going out on a nine to one one domestic violence call, I have questions about what happens to that video, you know if if they show me.
Speaker 2: I'll give you an example.
Speaker 1: Let's say there's a nine to one one call and someone saying, uh to walla sharp, this guy who lives next to me is using illegal fireworks and by law, they're allowed to send out the drone for that.
Speaker 2: But along the way they.
Speaker 1: Notice that Stefan is doing something else in his backyard which may or may not be illegal. How does that work? How does that work? Or they find out something about me and my backyard? Are just me going about you know, like Google Earth, you see how people's lives end up on Google Earth. I wonder about the unintended consequences. And it's not that I'm worried about the doing something illegal. No, I just want to believe, or least think that there's some level of privacy having nothing to do with a nine to one to one call for someone else.
Speaker 5: I just marvel at how, within a week's time, we went from talking about police departments using drones to detect illegal use of fireworks to drones being rolled out all together for all types of different reasons. This is what they're telling us as the public story, but they can alter this the reasons why. This is the forward facing press release. Yes, we don't know what is inside, the details, the minutia of why they can and will use them. Next, you know, there's a drone going out, I don't know, catching me jaywalking, and it's like jaywalking. It's well, you know, I mean ran the area and they were looking for protesters or they were looking for, you know, a nine to one WOD call. They were just waiting and they saw you jaywalking and we got your face, so we're sending you this ticket.
Speaker 1: It's funny, but it's not funny because we do have the not necessarily drones, but the cameras on the buses who just read your license plate. I mean, I have to believe that all this works together is and it's in the same database.
Speaker 2: It just makes me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I can't say legally constitutionally where it is run a foul, But as sure as I'm sitting here, I promise you within the next three hundred and sixty five days. I don't like making predictions, but I am on this one. There will be a constitutional challenge on this on Fourth Amendment grounds as far as illegal search and seizure, right to privacy, and the expectations because.
Speaker 2: It's invariably going to happen.
Speaker 5: But but that's only going to happen when one of the drones happens to drift into a neighborhood where the intended use of the drone has not been permitted if you read what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I do, I do, or if there's some sort of unintended consequences where someone else gets caught up in something, because in other words, like if the drone is looking out looking for fireworks, I don't know if the drone can claim exitent circumstances for something that's going on three yards over a three backyards over right. I say, in the next three hundred and sixty five days, I expect there to be a constitutional challenge to this because you can't control all of the data, which it's a massing, and all of people's lives, which is a massing in real time. We have not had that discussion yet here in America, North Korea, China, even South Korea.
Speaker 2: Yes, they've had that conversation. We have it yet, and I don't think we're ready for it. I also don't remember voting on this, No, we didn't.
Speaker 1: It's later with Mo Kelly k if I am six forty. We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio
Speaker 4: App KSI and kost H D two Los Angeles, Orange County more stimulating talk