Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, Dan Ray is here along with Rob Brooks. Robert is back at the Broadcast Central headquarters. It's a pretty impressive, pretty impressive title there, Rob Broadcast Central Headquarters. I'm simply broadcasting from somewhere remotely. But Rob will take care of you with phone calls. Beginning after nine o'clock first hour tonight, we will talk with four very special guests, tell you about all sorts of things that maybe you are unaware of. Going to talk about Valentine's Day, going to talk about stress relief robotics, going to talk about February is Black History Month. In just a couple of seconds, I'm going to tell you that at nine o'clock tonight, we will be talking with Professor John Ebel. He is a research scientist at Boston College's Western Observatory who studies earthquakes. We had an aftershock today, we had an earthquake on Monday, So we're going to spend some time and if you want to ask any questions of someone who has all the answers about earthquakes, you want to be with us at nine o'clock. Then later on tonight, we're going to take a deep dive into the RFK Junior battle royale at the US Senate today the committee hearings, This was the US Senate Committee in Finance that it was a it was a brawl. A lot of the Democrats don't like RFK Junior. Well, let me tell you, Noah does his cousin Caroline Kennedy. So we'll get to all of that later on tonight, but we're going to start it off with our first guest here. And by the way, my name is Dan Ray. I am the host of the show. Rob is the producer. As I mentioned, of course, Marita aka Lightning is the producer. During the day, we are delighted to welcome back another interview with a Freedom Trail player. Everyone knows the Freedom Trail in Boston and the Freedom Trail Foundation and begin on February first, which is the beginning of Black History Month. One of the Freedom Trail players, who do not like to give their real names, which is perfectly fine, in the role of Phyllis Wheatley, is going to tell us about the African American Patriots Tours that will begin this Saturday. I believe Phyllis wheatly. Welcome to Night's Side.
Speaker 3: How are you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: You're very welcome. You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: So tell us about the This is a special tour that is conducted during the month, the entire month of February. Is it available most every day in February?
Speaker 4: It's available every weekend throughout the month of February. But we always offer it as a private tour throughout the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's fair enough. Okay, so Saturdays and Sundays. We'll get to all of the logistics in a moment. But tell us a little bit about the Obviously, I know that it celebrates the contributions that African Americans made, particularly around the time leading up to and during the American Revolution. Tell us what people would expect to see and what they would expect to hear during a tour.
Speaker 3: That sounds really fascinating.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, I get into my personal history as Philly sweet Lee. I am the first African American and third American woman to ever publish a book of poetry. I get into a lot of more esoteric Boston history.
Speaker 5: We get into.
Speaker 4: What's called Negro election Day, which is kind of more interesting aspect about Boking Commons history. And of course we get into American heroes like Edward Brooks and Elizabeth Mumbtt Freeman and Crook Walker and other revolutionaries that people might not have heard about that we love to educate people.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard about Edward Brooks. I certainly knew I'm a Senator Edbrooke, So tell me about Edward brook Rook.
Speaker 4: That's what I said, Edward brook Brook.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I don't know if it was if there was a person that I had.
Speaker 4: Missed as absolutely fabulous senator from Massachusetts, and he has a lot of really fun stories about his time in the Senate that we share on the tour, and that.
Speaker 3: He fought bravely in World War Two.
Speaker 6: Absolutely it was.
Speaker 2: An attorney general here and was elected to the US Senate in nineteen sixty six and served two terms. And I really considered him a great friend. At the time I covered him as a reporter, but he his time in the Senate extended to nineteen seventy eight. But let's talk on the tour. Normally, when we think of the Freedom Trail, we're going from place to place to place. Now I know February's winter time. How long is this tour? What can people look forward to and what caution would you give them other than to dress as warmly as they could.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we encourage people to take out the hot hands. It is in fact a New England winter, so it could be fifty, it could be twenty. I cannot tell you which. But get into we get into a revolutionary period. We definitely talk about good old Christmas giving up his life for this country, and we get in yep, and we get into people like Koke Walker and Elizabeth Woombtt Freeman who fought here in Massachusetts to end slavery here in Massachusetts and really fought for rights for all people and really were moved by the Revolution to do these wonderful things for everyone, and a lot of times their stories don't get told. And also we tell fun stories about how Paul Revere is linked to a lot of anti slavery movements and how he has a secret link to enslavement in Massachusetts during his midnight ride. But you got to take the tour to find that out.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And of course Massachusetts has a long in the in the seventeen eighteenth century and even before that, a long abolitionist history of which the stage.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, we get into Governor Andrew, we get into Shaw, we get into the fabulous fifty fourth and the movie Glory.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me tell you, I'm very familiar with the fifty fourth. I grew up in Reidville. Camp Meggs is where the fifty fourth trained the Black Soldiers under the leadership of Colonel Robert Gouldshaw. And the opening I don't know the last time you watched the movie Glory, but that first scene it opens with the hoof prints courses and it says Camp Meiggs me ei Gs, Revale, Massachusetts. And I want you to know that as a little boy, I played probably a million baseball, football, basketball, and hockey games year round on Camp Meigs. We lived on the stret Yeah, oh yeah, I knew.
Speaker 4: That's the wonderful thing about Boston is that we were linked from the past today to our own personal history. And it's just such a beautiful, full circle moment that I love.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this, Phyllis, and this is the truth. When we played on that little league field back in the early nineteen sixties, okay, late fifties, early sixties, they had these huge Rocks in center field. And I am convinced that the spirits of the men who were training on this field one hundred years earlier, because they were training in the early eighteen sixties to believe that they were sitting watching us play baseball.
Speaker 3: I convinced of that, and.
Speaker 4: Truly a nineteenth century sports so it would have been a game after their own hearts, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, Phyllis, I really enjoyed chatting with you. So how can folks get in touch? Give us the best website so folks can take the tour and they can meet Phyllis Wheatley in person.
Speaker 3: And in character.
Speaker 4: Oh vfreedomcrail dot org. Tickets are available and re Saturday and sale throughout the month of February at ten forty five am, and also you can buy tickets at the Visitors Information Center on the Commons day of if you wish.
Speaker 3: Sounds great, sounds great. Well.
Speaker 2: Thanks for keeping all of these the stories of these American heroes alive.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, fellos, Oh, thank you so much. You have a great evening.
Speaker 2: All right, you as well. When we get back, we're going to talk about something else that deals with the month of February, and of course that is Valentine's Day, and we're going to talk with a national psychic who will share with you six secrets to finding true love. Her name is Deborah Graham. She star of TLC's The Psychic Matchmaker and host of the podcast The Psychic Connection. All of that coming up and a whole lot more tonight on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. We've just begun. We're heading towards midnight, or just a little short of midnight, and I'm here for the next four hours. I hope you are as well. Of the next three hours and forty five minutes, I hope you are as well, and we will entertain and inform and love to have a conversation with you once we open up those phone lines beginning at nine o'clock. And if you've missed any night Side hours in the last week or so, we've had some great guests, some great conversation, you can always go to Nightside on Demand that is our podcast site, Nightside on Demand dot Com and catch up, and also you can listen if you've missed anything tonight. They'll be posted by Rob Brooks probably about by thirty three o'clock on Thursday morning, back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This, Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, when you say February, everybody thinks of Valentine's Day. Now I think of groundhog Day. But maybe I'm a little different. Anyway, Valentine's Day is more important than groundhog Day. The only more important day is the opening of spring training. But with it with us right now is Deborah Graham. She's the star of TLC's The Psychic Matchmaker, host of the podcast The Psychic Connection, and she has expert advice for love, career, family, and more. But we're going to talk about your love life. Welcome Debah, how are you going to Welcome to night Side.
Speaker 7: Thank you, thank you so much for having me. The pleasure is all mine to be here. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing okay. I think I'm doing okay. But it's early, so lakes could go off the crack anything. Yeah, Well, I go to midnight eight to midnight, So we're.
Speaker 5: Talking to have extra cup of java.
Speaker 2: Oh let me tell you, no, I'm always I'm always ready for action. Look, you have six secrets to finding true love? There are some people in my audience who are still true who's still looking for true love? Probably most people in my audience. So share us some of those secrets. What should we be looking for those of us who are happily married, that's a different situation. We're talking about the single folks out there who look at Valentine's Day with a sense of maybe apprehension and anticipation.
Speaker 4: Well, you're right.
Speaker 5: About that, But also the people who are married, they also need a.
Speaker 6: Little extra boost.
Speaker 5: Sometimes you got to spice up.
Speaker 6: That love life.
Speaker 5: You got to always keep that energy going. As I like to say, wills in motion. So the sick secrets of love. People call me all the time, whether they're looking for love, a relationship, a partnership, whether they're contacting me on the psychic connection with Debrah Graham or doing a one on one reading. However it may be the first rule of thumb is to trust in your inner self. And when you have that self confidence, you don't need to be something that she or he is looking for. You just need to be you and trust in yourself and don't let those first impressions cloud you down. Because sometimes when you go out on that first date, you're like, Oh, that person just was nervous. They didn't talk to me as much. Maybe they were feeling anxiety just as much as you were feeling the anxiety. Three follow my rule of three. This is a big one.
Speaker 7: Go out on three dates within three weeks, and stay monogamous.
Speaker 5: That means don't put the lizard into lily pad for three months. It means no physical intercourse.
Speaker 3: I have never heard that one.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: That's what we call deep and large. And if you could get there, let me tell you anything we're working on is absolutely work waiting on.
Speaker 7: And also very important.
Speaker 5: Rule of four is to find that twin flame soul made absolutely without a benefit of a doubt. You have a twin flame soulmate, a carmit connection. Whether you're nineteen or ninety nine. Anybody can find love at any age. I believe that age is just a number.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I.
Speaker 2: Got I got a question here. Okay, I'm I am not a passive talk show host. As you will find out. When I last checked, there were eight billion people in the world. So what are the odds of finding that one soul?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 5: Well, you're right about that.
Speaker 7: I have to say the truth because finding a soulmate is probably easier to win the lottery than to find lover a soulmate. That's probably one of the hardest things. But there is a partner out there for every single person.
Speaker 2: But it does it mean that I'm being honest when I say this, because I've thought about this and people say, oh, your soulmate's out there, you're a doppelganger or whatever. Look, I assume there has to be a few. Maybe maybe there's one on some continent that you'll never visit, therefore you'll never meet. But you got to at least hope you have one soulmate within the metro area.
Speaker 5: If you get my drift, Well, you have many soulmates. You have three different kinds of soulmates.
Speaker 7: You have soulmates that you could connect with somebody just to have kids with.
Speaker 5: Maybe you were not meant to be together, but you were meant to bring the kids in. Then you have a soulmate that could even be a friend, as I call it a for now. And and you have what you call the twin flame soulmates. That's when your two physical bodies but one connected soul. I will tell you that ninety percent of the world never ever gets to meet their twin flame soulmate because either they weren't patient enough or it just didn't happen. So the odds of meeting your twin flame is very rare. Doesn't mean that it cannot happen. It is a possibility. But hopefully it's better than bluid dodge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but hopefully it's better than eight billion to one is what you're telling.
Speaker 6: Us, right exactly.
Speaker 7: But love is out there. Like I said, it doesn't matter what age you are. You know, love is out there. I've been doing this for over forty years now. I mean I've been a spiritual teacher, healer, mentor. I help people with their love.
Speaker 5: Their relationships, finding that love, connecting their love. That soulmate might even be your next door neighbor.
Speaker 3: Hell.
Speaker 5: So you've got to really open yourself because ninety nine point nine percent of the problem is us. We are the problem because we block ourselfs intuitively, because a lot of people talk too much about their self and they say how their ex wasman x relationships, you know, was horrible, and how it just didn't work out. That's usually when I say it's the red flag. That's normally while I say run, run, run, will you still have your head attached to your body because you don't want to be with somebody that all they do is talk about them? Then then, and I want and I need, and I want and I need. So that's where I like to say, I'm a weed whacker, and I pull those weeds out of them and give them what I call a Deborah Graham anima, kind of like a reality check to make them know that, hey, not everybody died and made you king or queen. You have to come down to reality because we're all going through a temporary human experience.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you this then, without getting political at all. Okay, how else do you think it would be for Donald Trump to find a soul mat because he does tend to talk a lot about himself.
Speaker 5: Well, of course, you know he's he could be very narcissist at times, and that's what makes him a strong leader.
Speaker 2: Okay, So okay, so, but not necessarily a soulmate is what I'm trying.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: I think he came as close as he can to a soulmate because of that woman, God bless her. So menanious, she's still there. I guess she's there for the long duration. So that's about good as it gets.
Speaker 2: Baby, Okay, give us a couple of more secrets. I think that these secrets are great. Give us a couple more secrets, And.
Speaker 4: The biggest one is six.
Speaker 7: When to say goodbye from an energy sucker, meaning that you've been in this marriage, you've been in this relationship forever, let's say thirty years, and you're trying to make this relationship work. And you're given and you're given, and you're given ninety percent.
Speaker 5: And they're giving you ten percent back. That's when I say run, because you can't give somebody what they want. If you can't be the way you want to be and they accept you for who you are and who you're not, that's somebody who's selfish, not selfless. And you want to be ready to heal eternally, mentally, physically, and spiritually. But always have direct eye contact when you're on a day in these apps, go out, enjoy, go out and met people, have fun. You know, the best place to meet people is through other people you know and just showing up. That's the kind of thing that I tell all my clients is dress ups, show up again, whether they're calling me in person, or whether they're calling into the psychic connection with Debragraham. I'm able to help you learn, you teach, you help you grow, whether you're doing a one on one reading or whether you want to call in and get that free five minute live reading.
Speaker 6: However it works.
Speaker 2: You sound like a fascinating person. You are full of self confidence. You obviously love what you do, which makes you a very a great, a great guest for my show.
Speaker 3: And I think you've provided well.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that. And the proof is in the pudding. I've been with the same man for over thirty years. We've got three kids, four grandchildren, and you know, love is alive.
Speaker 7: You just got to keep the fire burning inside and out and also keep that energy.
Speaker 5: Moving into bed at night too, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think I do know what you mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes you got to give a little to get a little, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: But if anybody wants to book their own one on one psychic reader, yeah, I want to say.
Speaker 2: I got a minute left here, So let's talk about the book. First of all, that give us the proper name of the book.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, well, Debrah Graham Psychic's Guide to Attracting and Keeping your True Love is my most recentness book, Debragram Psychics Guide to Attracting and Keeping your Own True Love. And it's basic, step by step instructions, things that we already know. But it's kind of like going back to leave it to beaver days because if you sit there and think about it, the relationships that really worked out were the.
Speaker 5: Fifty years ago relationships.
Speaker 7: Those people stuck together, stay together and love each other because sometimes you want more and sometimes you end up with a bag.
Speaker 1: Of you know what.
Speaker 2: And if folks want to get in touch with you to get a reading, how do they reach out?
Speaker 7: Yep, they could go to Psychic Debra Graham dot com, that Psychic deebragram dot com.
Speaker 5: They could book their own one on one reading, or if they want to get that free five minute live reading on our podcast, to Psychic Connection with Debra Graham.
Speaker 6: Whatever works for.
Speaker 2: Them sounds great. Deborah, You've been a great guest. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You're amazing and you keep that love alive. And I'm going to be sending you some good energy man and drink that Java because that'll keep you going, honey, because you're on fire.
Speaker 3: Well check me out around eleven thirty. I'm still I still go.
Speaker 2: I do four hours and I'm as upbeat it at eleven thirty as I try to be at eight oh five.
Speaker 3: And that's what. And I've been doing this for a while there.
Speaker 2: I was in TV for thirty one years as an audio reporter here in Boston with the now CBS affiliate.
Speaker 3: And I mean, you're teen doing this. So I've been doing this for a while.
Speaker 5: Oh God bless you. And hey for your guests to hurt me, they could get fifty percent off. Just tell them that I was on your show and I'm going to give them a Valentine's Day reading fifty percent off for their guests.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking, Now, we are talking. Now, that's great for night side guests. Okay, folks, I will have you on some night and just take some phone calls maybe from Oh.
Speaker 5: I would love to do that. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Large, we got we got a sense of of of what you're able to do tonight. And you have the thing that you have. You have the passion. Anyone that has passion for what they do, I don't care what they do. If you're a glass blower and you have passion for it. It's interesting, it's fascinating, and you have the passion for it. I think I have the passion for what I do and I know that's why you're successful. Thank you, Deborah, appreciated, absolutely.
Speaker 5: God bless you. God be with you. You let me know when and where and I'll show up and be there. Have a great one and a happy ballace I say to you.
Speaker 3: Happy to you.
Speaker 2: As well to you and yours. Thanks Deborah. All right, we get back. We're going to talk about getting rid of some stress. And this is going to be easy. The guest's name is Lee Holding, okay, and we're going to learn about a very simple way to get rid of some stress. And believe me, I deal with stress all day long. It's called Chi Gong. Wait you and you'll be able to get in a comfortable chair and we're gonna give you some exercises to do. This is gonna be great. Coming up right after the newscast at the bottom of the hour. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. You're listening to WZ Boston's News radio ten thirty on your AM dial. Don't touch that dial.
Speaker 6: It's night Side with Boston's News radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we all deal with stress release, really with stress, I should say, and we need some stress release in this fast paced world. And we got it for you tonight. Lee Holden is my guest, a world renowned Chi gong expert. I actually watched a piece you did on one of the network newscasts, so I have a really good sense and I've tried a few of the very simple moves that you suggest. First of all, tell us that I assume that gi gong is a is a Chinese form of stress release by virtue of the name.
Speaker 6: You got that right, Hey, thank you so much. Good to be here. Yeah, it is from ancient China. You see, men and women used to watch the movements of nature and then mirror the movements of nature to get the maximum benefit of this practice. And you know, in modern life, I think of chigong as a less stress and a more energy type of practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in I think I've seen in Austria a couple of years more than a couple of years ago actually, and I think it was Austria on a trip, and I noticed a bunch of older and I'm older Chinese. They weren't Chinese Americans, and they were. They were Chinese people living in Austria, and they were up doing some of the movements and I just kind of joined in and they kind of got a kick out of seeing me.
Speaker 3: I got a kick out of seeing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's describe a couple of the very simple moves. Even though we're on radio, you could describe them and people can sit where they are right now and they can replicate the move and get a sense of the the stress relief that you can provide.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I mean one very simple exercise. It's called spinal cord breathing. And I think lots of people, lots of people have too much tension in their backs. And when we sit too long. What we're gonna say about the chi, remember chi means energy, is the chi can get stagnant.
Speaker 1: And there's a.
Speaker 6: Thing in she going flowing water doesn't get stagnant, and the hinges of an active door don't get rusty. I get you, don't you hate that? Yeah? I hate want stagnant che So.
Speaker 3: What I'm gonna do. We're gonna stand up right standing up.
Speaker 6: You can stand up or stay seated, and we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna move it. I'm gonna sit down there. What are we doing.
Speaker 6: Okay, so we're gonna breathe deep. Yeah, we're gonna breathe deep. And what you want to do is breathe, you know, three four seconds on the inhale, your hands are by your shoulders. You're gonna inhale and look up, and then when you exhale, your chin goes down towards your chin, your elbows come towards each other, and you round the back and then inhale, look up and exhale and around, and you're moving your spinal joints in both directions reflexion and extension. It's like a free chiropractic adjustment.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, I'm doing it right here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't like hyrod, but like this.
Speaker 6: This is very simple. Yeah, exhale, you round and relax. Now you see the spine when it doesn't move, the stagnation really is stiffness. So if you've got stiffness, tension, that's stagnant chyle bit right. Just yeah, you hinge at your waist and then shin comes down and then you inhale and you're looking up and you feel the front part of your spine. We don't often pay attention to the front of the spine and you feel your rib cage and your sternum and then you and you exhale, so you notice that you're synchronizing the breath and the movement, which is really good for the nervous system. So in essence, you're moving from like fight or flight, or what we might call stress, into rest and digest or tranquility. And it can be done very simply just by breathing.
Speaker 3: How long you been have you been doing this? You have reached the level of a master. How long have you been doing this?
Speaker 6: I've been doing this for thirty five years.
Speaker 2: And I assume there's some books that you think people could read. I mean, obviously we did one simple exercise. Maybe we'll do one more in a minute, But how can people either get in touch with you or get something that they can hold in their hands to.
Speaker 3: Read and look at.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know, I applied all these ancient principles to modern life in this book.
Speaker 1: And the book is.
Speaker 6: Called Ready, Set Slow, So it's all about slowing down into grading these principles into things that we're doing all the time, whether it's eating, whether it's movement or breathing. As soon as you slow down, you're going to get some tremendous health benefits. And for example eating, if you eat slower, you're going to metabolize your food better, so that food's going to turn into energy and you're going to not eat as much. So it's great for weight loss, and you enjoy your food more because you're chewing it longer. So if we take the concept of slowing down, because chigong like taichi are these slow, graceful movements that you saw doing in the people doing in the park, and you apply it to other aspects in life, and you're going to be more productive, You're going to be calmer, you're going to be clearer, more focused. So it is beautiful.
Speaker 2: So the book is ready set slow I assume available Amazon, maybe bookstores or certainly Amazon. Your name is h O. L D E N. Like the famous movie actor from the nineteen fifties, William Holden. Or there's a town r you're in Massachusetts called Holden, Massachusetts.
Speaker 6: Lee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: I've been there. I think I think I drove by.
Speaker 3: Did you really?
Speaker 6: I was like, wait, my town's right here.
Speaker 2: Named after you didn't even know it. But this is so important, It is so important. I mean every day we're all doing so many crazy things, you know, the stuff gets it. I had a flat tire yesterday. It ruined like two days. I was able to get it fixed pretty easily. A good guy who I was able to get the car too. They put the donor on the But still the whole day it's like stressful.
Speaker 6: And the stress that those things kill us, you know, when we're stressed out like that, even whatever's happening in life, if you can, like for example, when you're you get a flat tire, the unexpected happens, like you said, it can ruin your whole day. If you low down your breathing, you can still move through life's challenges with a little more equanimity. And it's sort of through adversity that we become stronger and more balanced, and we really challenge ourselves to rise to an occasion, whether it's parenting a flat tire, sitting in traffic when we're late, even though we're in a hurry, we can still keep that calmness within ourselves. And that's a little bit more of the advanced techniques in the book as well. In the book, we do a whole slow communication even connection with our romantic partners, like a slow intimacy to have these better experiences in life and more deep, meaningful moments.
Speaker 3: Lee, this has been great.
Speaker 2: Thanks for working through at least one of the one of the exercises, and hopefully a lot of people are going to buy the book and get the book. And it's so sort of thing that it's a manual, is what it is, and it really does exceed very well to have you back. Thank you so much. I enjoyed watching you. People can find you on some of the network TV programs as well, so thanks so much.
Speaker 3: WBZ.
Speaker 2: We got a lot of listeners around the country, so don't be surprised you hear from some folks.
Speaker 6: Okay, ah, I can't wait. Thank you so much for having me my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed it very much, Lee holding of the practice of chigong and again his book Ready Set Slow, not ready set go, Ready Set Slow. When we get back, we're to talk about something a little different, the future of robotics. We'll be back on night Side right after the break.
Speaker 6: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 2: We are going to talk with eled inbar about the future of robotics.
Speaker 3: Eled, welcome to night Side.
Speaker 1: How are you tonight, I'm and good, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about robotics.
Speaker 2: Robotics had been around now for years, correct, I mean this is we think of it as something new, but it's it's really been around for what thirty forty fifty years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and definitely when it comes to you know, production lines and these kind of things. Robots are not new at all, however, and as the being however, in the past couple of years, you know, they took off. They took off like you know, never before. We see them in restaurants, in hotels, we see them in their warehouses, in the movie theaters, in airports.
Speaker 6: So they are capable, more capable than ever.
Speaker 1: And this is honestly just the beginning.
Speaker 2: Well that's the point. It's almost like watching a plane take off. You know, it's running down the runway and it seems like it's never going to lift off, but once it lifts off, within a matter of seconds, it's half a mile out of the air and the next thing is in the clouds and it's gone. And I feel like that's what's going on with robotics and of course with AI coming along at wasps warp speed.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Does AI and robotics now intersect and each sort of works off each other or do you see them as two totally separate developments.
Speaker 1: No, they are highly integrated AI, you know, by itself without the ability to manipulate you know, the the real word is limited to you know, stuff like JGPT and these kind of things that you know, give us text and you know we may read.
Speaker 2: It or not.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And robots without AI are not smart. They cannot avoid obstacles, they cannot navigate around you know, all kinds of you know, area that they cannot reach. They cannot understand you know context. You know, when we ask you know, a robot to put the let's say, you know, in the near future, right roady from the jetsons, I put the you know, dishes in the dish, pocher, But which niches? How do you know to put them?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: They correctly out and lost? This all needs intelligence, So they go hand in hand, not you know, separate the goal.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then let me get to when we get to the point, let us say that I'm just using as an example where we're saying to the robot, okay, can you take the dishes off the table and put them in the washing machine? Are we at that point sort of surrendering responsibilities that I feel we should have. Meaning I love the idea of not having to bust the table or take the clear the dishes off the table, But at the same time, I think that that's kind of been part of my life for a lot forever, and I don't really mind doing it. I mean, I know, no one's going to force me to buy a robot to take the dishes off my dinner table, but there's just something about it that hits me the wrong way. I don't mind thinking about some robot on an assembly line, you know, producing an autumnal bill, and maybe the automobile will be a little bit less expensive to buy, and hopefully the auto worker is still somehow employed.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is this yang and a yang. If you know what I'm saying is robots are going to take.
Speaker 2: Jobs or are they going to create more jobs? Tell us what you think the future is going to hold in that regard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, you touched on you know, several points, and you know, many people, me including myself. I mean, no including myself. I mean, we you know, always think about that and you know, what do I want to do or you know, what is the meaning of you know, my life is robots can do everything for me, right, I mean, and and that's that's a deep question and I totally agree with that. So you know, think about you know, Rosin from the Jetsones, you know, if you if you know that the TV show from Sixtyes, so remember the.
Speaker 2: Jets, Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So you know, my my you know vision is that you know, we're going to actually see that coming really really quickly. This type of roses super capable, you know, finding integrated with the family life, you know, complete family member in a way. And you know you said.
Speaker 3: Coming quickly, what are you talking about in terms of quickly? Five years? Twenty five years?
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. When I said, when you said the right the airplane is taking off and everything, I believe that we're able to see you know, within the you know, two to three years. And I was I was under the impression that we are at least a decade, if not two decades out from from getting there until very recently, but you know, looking at the uh, you know, the pace of the change in AI and the ability of you know, all kinds of you know, larger niche models and so on to actually comprehend very complex environments, very complex situation. I believe that, you know, marrying that with the real robots, the you know, full humanoid robot, It's going to happen very very quickly. We are doing that. I'm working in this film for seventeen years, you know, robot to right passions, since I was a child. But I started a robot club around seventeen years ago, in two thousand and seven, and I've seen that you know airplane, you know, you know takeoff it was like really slow all these years, and you know it's just like you know a little bit accelerating but still not you know, off the ground. And in the past two years it just went vertical, like totally vertical. And and this is you know, I can tell you I'm sitting on the kind of like on the first row of that of that show. And I didn't believe that we'll be able to get to that level of intelligence so fast, and this is this is what we see. I don't know if you're using chechiptia, but I'm sure many of you know the listen are using that or any other you know, Google Gemini and any other.
Speaker 3: Ask you this. Okay, let me put it in the in the context of sports. Okay.
Speaker 2: The thing that's great about sports is some you a football fan by.
Speaker 1: Any chance or now I know, but that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well what I say, there's two seconds left and the kicker is trying to kick a field goal to win the game.
Speaker 3: Well, that's part of the sport.
Speaker 2: Because the guys, some guys you know, get the ball, can't kick it through the upright, some people miss it. Are we going to get to the point where teams will have robots as kickers? I mean, that's you know, I mean I hope there's going to be some areas where robots will not be available.
Speaker 6: So there is yes and no.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, that's so. There is a global competition called a Robot Cup, not like cop they're the you know the movie right there, you know, like a Ward Cup. Yeah exactly. So they started again around fifteen years ago with human das playing soccer, and the goal was by twenty fifty, okay, to have a team of human or robots that can beat the world champion team at that year. Okay, okay, this this was rewritten okay, and today the goal is by twenty thirty, which is in five years.
Speaker 2: Well, you have people who robots, robots who played chess champions and all of that. Look, we're running out of the bend. But I'm fascinated by this. You've written a book called A Robotics Future. Where can people find that?
Speaker 1: So they can find it on Amazon? The start for our robotics future. And this is a book that I wrote in order to help people, you know, understand what's coming. Publish robots are working. If you're a business owner and you want to integrate that in your hotel or restaurant, or assist a living facility or you know, a movie theater or whatnot, you know what to consider, you know which what is the right thing for you? Right? I basically put my entire seven years of experience into this and trying to educate the you know, the people in what's coming and what's available for them.
Speaker 2: A Robotics Future by elo inba Eli Eliad. I really appreciated your time tonight. I learned a lot from this conversation and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Good night, good Night.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk with doctor John Ebel and he is with Boston College Western Observatory, and we're going to talk about earthquakes. We had one this week and an aftershock today. Everything you've ever wanted to know about earthquakes but we're too afraid to ask. We're coming back on Night's side.