Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I could always count for a very interesting introduction from my friends Ince Hospital. Thank you very much, as we will buckle our seat belts tonight. That is for sure, good evening, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome on in.
Speaker 2: This is a Monday night edition of Nightside. We start another full week here on Nightside. We being myself and Rob Brooks. Rob, I was in the building today, actually stopped in from meeting at ten o'clock. I looked for you.
Speaker 3: You weren't there.
Speaker 2: I guess you probably was sleeping at ten am. Rob Brooks admits he was sleeping, but he should because he works the night shift. He's on from seven to three am. Rob is our producer, has been sold for many many years, and we will continue as a team. Thanks very much, Rob. Hope you had a good weekend. We will have an interesting show tonight. Really tough story at nine o'clock. Some of you may have seen this story, but the story about Red Sox player Jared Durand, who apparently attempted suicide a couple of years ago. It's both in the digital and the digital editions of both The Herald and the Globe we're going to talk about it, and we'll talk again about those tariffs.
Speaker 3: Those are tariffs.
Speaker 2: They're still sticking around here and it's bedeviling the stock market. But we have four very interesting guests, and I can think of a more interesting guest or a more courageous guest than my friend, former high school hockey player Matt Brown, who had a terrific, horrific moment at the age of fifteen and found himself living life in a wheelchair for the rest of his life a freak hockey accident to someone who I've got to know over the last sixteen or so years as a great, wonderful human being who's looking to help others.
Speaker 3: Matt Brown, Welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 4: How are you, Dan. It's always good to hear your voice. Thank you so much for having me well.
Speaker 2: You were dealt a tough, tough hand one of your high school hockey games from Norwood High School, but you have gone on to form the Matt Brown Foundation. You have a Boston Marathon team running. I believe that you're in the marathon two if someone will be moving you across the twenty six point two miles, and I can only hope for better weather two mondays from now that what we had today? Are you ready?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 4: And you know, if we had to do it today, we would have. But I'm very, very hopeful that in two weeks we're gonna be We're gonna be running in and something a little bit nicer them today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I say, first of all, tell us about the Matt Brown Foundation.
Speaker 3: It's been going for a while. You've been on the show.
Speaker 2: Many of our listeners are familiar with you, and hopefully they've supported the Matt Ground Foundation. But for those who perhaps do not know it, tell us what what What has become the purpose of your young life?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, you know, I was hurt in twenty ten, finished high school, finished college, and when I get out, I kind of, you know, wanted to do something bigger. I you know, I wrote line change the book. And then you know, as we were writing a book, the thought of the foundation of our own kept coming up, following in the footsteps of Travis Roy and you know, the great Tom Smith. And then in twenty twenty, smack dab in the middle of a pandemic, we decided, you know what, now's a good time. And our missioning goal is to give back to individuals, families and groups supporting or living with, you know, paralysis. Basically just trying to make you know, there tomorrow a little bit better and a little bit easier than there today.
Speaker 2: Well, you've had a lot of help along the way. One of the great helps, some of the great help has come from a great, our great friend, Jack Daugherty of College Hype. But Jack is also I think introduced you to a group of supporters as well, and I know that you wanted an opportunity to thank some folks and who have been particularly supportive of this cause.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Yeah, you know it starts with College Hype, Jim Clutis, John Carroll, the fraternity, the Lambda Kai fraternity brothers up at Colby, and then Lewis's Barn Grill here in Norwood. They are making a huge impact on our marathon team this year. You know, this was the first year we were able to get into the charity, the official charity program of the Boston Marathon with the huge thanks to the Bank of America and the b a A. And you know, for years Lucas and I ran for ourselves and we raised some great awareness and money for some great organizations. But into the twenty one US, alongside with another bib got to run for the Matt Brown Foundation, and that was really making a dream become a reality. And this year we have five runners through the Bank of America Charity program. We have another runner from the City of Boston, and we have two international runners from China, which which will be nine bibs for us, which you know, I still wake up and pinch myself every morning.
Speaker 3: How did you so now.
Speaker 2: The Matt Brown Foundation's gone international? How'd you get bibbs for runners from China? Tell us if you can. I'm sure it's a complicated story, but I did not realize that. Tell us tell us that.
Speaker 3: Part of the story.
Speaker 4: Listen when when we launched in twenty twenty, I had no idea. I had hopes, but I had no idea that the Matt Brown Foundation would go international, which is really really cool. And I owe a huge thanks to Susan Hurley of the Charity Teams program. She has been an absolute dream to work work with and she has helped me out so much the last couple of months. And she called and said, listen, I got two more bibs. We're eleven weeks out. But I have two runners from China that are willing to donate and run, and we cannot be happier to have them a part of the team.
Speaker 2: No, will you get a chance to meet the is it two guys to two women or is it one and one?
Speaker 3: What's a guy and a girl?
Speaker 4: And over the weekend the weekend before the marathon. I'm lucky enough to have a chance to meet them, and ultimately thanked them for answering the call and saying, you know, absolutely we'll join.
Speaker 3: Wow, boy, what this is? This is a great story. So so Matt.
Speaker 2: If folks are not running the marathon, and many in my audience, believe it or not, will not be running the marathon, including myself, what can they do to support you a great work?
Speaker 4: You know, if you visit our website, we have so many opportunities. One, we know we have the foul with road race. We still have bibs available there. But but I think one of the biggest things would be, you know, joining joining the website and checking out our store. My book's on there, we have new apparel on there, the map round Foundation dot org if you would like to go on there and you know, grab a t shirt and help spread our message of never quit, overcome forever forward far and wide that that would really mean the most, because I do just want to mention one grant that we have coming up. You know, every grant that we do is you know, special in my mind and means a lot, and it helps a family or an individual. But later on this week we're going to be installing an adaptive swing at the preschool here in Norwood and for a for a young boy who for years has had to watch his friends on the playground and now he gets to go on that adaptive swing. And that swing will stay there for any other student that passes through whose mobility impaired. And and that's just something that's super special in my eyes.
Speaker 3: Such such good stuff.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm sure, like every other high school hockey player, you had the dream of maybe playing for the Bruins someday. But despite what endured you've been you've had a lot of support from the Ruins. I know that Patrice burg Ron has been very helpful. And Farrance wrote wrote your book, Uh look the pre Andrew Ferrence wrote the the intro to the book. And I know that a good pal of yours Charlie Coyle unfortunately was just traded by the Bruins, but you become almost a member of the Bruins team in many respects as well.
Speaker 4: You know, I I agree with you that my dream might have been, you know, the Boston Bruins, but I think we both know my reality was some Beer League somewhere, you know, just getting getting on the ice once a week. But I'm incredibly lucky with who who have who I've had around me, and Ruins have been just incredible, having guys of those caliber, you know, reaching out, checking in and you know, really wishing me well from the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of their hearts.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's it's another thing that keeps me going day in and day out.
Speaker 2: Well, Coile got traded to the Avalanche. He may have a shot at getting his name of the Cup.
Speaker 4: You know, and and and that that's what I said to him in a text message. I said, now, listen, it's it's it's tough. You are the best, you know, a perfect, a perfect Boston Bruin. But now you got a chance. And I wish nothing more than to him for him to get his name on that Cup because it's well well deserved. With what he put up with here and just who he is on and off the ice.
Speaker 2: Well, what I want to do is let again see a picture of you and and coil with the with the Stanley Cup this year.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I'm rooting for.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 4: If you can put that into the atmosphere and that becomes a reality, I will welcome that every single day this summer.
Speaker 2: You bet you, you bet you. We'll look Matt, congratulations. Uh, a lot of people will be out there looking for you on Monday. Uh it's the twenty first. If I'm not mistaken this year right ye?
Speaker 4: So yeah, it will be Lucas Carrs and mine. Eleventh Boston Marathon. It and doesn't get old. And I thank him every day that he put this, this sick ranged idea to say, would you ever want to what? Did you ever want to run a Boston Marathon? And we haven't looked back.
Speaker 2: Yet, unbelievable. Well look, you keep looking forward and we will talk soon. My friend Matt Brown or the Matt Brown Foundation, it's simply Matt Brownfoundation dot org. Is that the right email? Would say?
Speaker 4: That's correct? And I can't thank you for having me on, Dan, my pleasure, my.
Speaker 2: Pleasure, Matt Brown, Ladies and gentlemen, we get back on to talk about a well, a different subject, and this is one that is kind of interesting. A lot of people don't want to go back to the workplace, and now we're finding out.
Speaker 3: That workplace bullying is back on the rise. We'll have a roop.
Speaker 2: What on that from a New York Times bestselling author and advisor to Fortune five hundred companies and pro sports team Steve McClatchy, coming back here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I was back at my workplace today for a special meeting. I had nothing to do with doing my show. I'm doing my shows remotely, but a lot of people have been told come on back to the workplace, and a lot of people are hesitant about that. And my guest is Steve McClatchy. He's a New York Times best selling author and advisor to Fortune five hundred companies as well as pro sports teams, and he basically says that workplace bullying is back. Forbes reports that the command and control leadership style emphasizing threats and punishment, is becoming more common.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Steve, Welcome back to Nightside by the way, but I feel that when they bring people back to work, they should treat them with some respect.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Then, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 6: Great to be here. Yeah, it's one of those things where if you don't feel valued, you know, you immediately go to disengagement. And engagement is a very misunderstood metric. It means you do more than your pay. So if you do your job and you do it well, you're considered disengaged. So engagement is when you go way above and beyond. Now, if you do that, I mean, think about how valuable you are as an employee. But your burnout rate goes to blow ten percent. Now wait, these are the employees working harder and longer and their burnout rate is under ten percent. If you do your job and you do it well, consider disengaged. Your burnout rate is between fifty and sixty percent. So what is driving engagement? Gallups data tells us seventy percent of that engagement is influenced by the relationship you have with your boss.
Speaker 5: Is there conflict?
Speaker 6: Do you like your boss? Do you feel valued? These are classic things I mean that data tells us. And then we all experience. When we feel valued, we want to go in bevyon above and beyond. When we're thanked, we want to go above and beyond. So this comand and control style of leadership has been proven not to work. And it wasn't me that said it, Dan, it was the Forbes and their research indicated that this style of management is back, and I don't approve of it at all. It's not an effective way to lead.
Speaker 3: What most managers don't understand, in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Is that if you go give someone a pat on the back, that is worth more in many cases than a raise. I mean, everybody wants a raise, no question, but and they want.
Speaker 3: To be valued.
Speaker 2: But that pad on the back, I mean, you know, you see it in sports all the time. Some pitcher has just been out there and he's given up seven runs in one in the third inning. The manager doesn't come out screen it at I mean, he comes out, takes the ball from him, gives him a pat on the back as he as the guy heads to the dugout because hopefully, next time, you know, he pitches, it'll create a different result. I just don't understand why people don't realize that. To me, it's mystifying.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get to the root cause of that, because this is a big issue my clients face and I'm helping them with it all the time. When you say great job, Dan, you went to it like, well, some people like great job more than they like a raisin pay. Not always everybody loves a raisin pay. But wait, if we put those two things together, it's a big mistake. Everybody is paid to do a great job. You don't hire an employee to come in do mediocre work, and if they do a great job, you pay them more. What did you pay everybody to come in and do great work? So then what determines your pay The value of your skills in the marketplace. The more rare skill is, and the more valuable it is, the higher you get paid. So I use these analogies. I say, you know, accountants are being paid a lot more these days, Why because we don't have any accountants. Nurses are getting paid a lot these days. Why we don't have nurses. Police officers are getting paid a lot more and signing bonuses. Why we don't have police officers. Why don't teachers make a lot of money?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 6: Teachers, some of the richest people in the world. Oh their success to teachers. Teachers can be life changing mentors that can impact your life greatly. Why don't they get paid more? Because when one retires, there's one hundred resumes for that job. That's it. That's all it is. It's supply and demand of skills in the marketplace. If you truly understand that, you can unleash the pat on the back, the positive feedback. If it's authentic, it's genuine, and you feel appreciated, your engagement goes to over sixty seven percent. The average global engagement rate is thirteen percent. You have ten employees, one one is doing more than they're paid.
Speaker 5: But if each one of.
Speaker 6: Those employees feels valued and appreciated and not taken for granted, that goes up to sixty seven percent. We're talking about one interaction Dan being truly sincere when you value someone's effort and I.
Speaker 2: Want okay, so why are bosses that's smart enough to understand that pretty simple and straightforward concept that you just articulated.
Speaker 6: And when I explain it, they do understand it and they have to pivot and change their approach to management. They are It is the ego loves power. It loves it, it ensures its survival. If I have power, I have a better chance of surviving than someone that doesn't have power. And if I can mistreat you and get away with it, then that feeds the ego. I'm above the law. I have the power if I am breaking an agreement with you and I get away with it, which is what disrespect is. It's a broken agreement and I get away with it, I get power. Like if I'm punishing you, then I'm above you. People that are above other people have a better chance to survival. So the ego feeds on this dan and because of it, we have management styles that if they don't take a step back and look at Look. The metric that used to determine success was turnover. Do you remember, like, oh yeah, five employe's left. That was like your way of saying you got a bad manager. Eight employees left. Now, this engagement and our ability to survey is telling us, wait, you might mistreat people and they stay, but if they're not engaged, they're doing the minimum. And as a boss, your job is to increase output, not decrease, not get the minimum. It's to increase. I say, let's use easy math. You got ten employees and you make one the manager. You just dropped productivity by ten percent. What is the job of a leader to make everybody at least ten percent better? And this commanding control style of leadership does not get that out of the employees that work for.
Speaker 2: You, Steve, How could folks get in touch with you? I'm sure there are some companies out there right now who are saying to themselves, we need to hear from this guy. I'm glad you joined us, but your your group is called a leered Training and Consulting.
Speaker 3: What's the website?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's a leer dot com, a l L e er dot com. It means to develop a person and I specialize in leadership workshops, team building workshops. I want leaders to understand and to possess the skills they need to make everybody around them at least ten percent better. Conflict resolution, being able to hold people accountable, being able to give people feedback, both positive feedback but then improvement feedback. The skills leaders really need to take a group of people and increase the output of that team, because that's what they're being paid to do.
Speaker 2: You know, I can look at I use the metaphor of sports, and you look at the great leaders in sports today. You look at Dave Roberts, the manager of the Dodgers. He's been there for several years. He's able to balance guys from different parts of the world, whether they're a Japanese superstar and American player or whatever. Alex Cora with the Red Sox does a really nice job. Neither Roberts or Cora were superstars as players. They were major league players, but they probably knew better than most how it was to be, you know, towards the lower end of the roster, and some managers still treated them with the same dignity and respect that they gave to the superstar. And that's the same theory that managers in any business in America should use. Pattern yourself after Dave Roberts and Alex core In my opinion.
Speaker 6: It's a great opinion, and I salute their boss, Dan. If you look at the criteria they use, they didn't say, see, the three major reasons people get promoted is you're the best of the job, you've been here the longest, or I like you, and they're leaders. Brought them in saying they weren't the best player the best player does not always make the best boss. Just because I'm great at a job doesn't mean I can make everybody else great. That's a different skill set, and when we look for that, we appreciate that we develop that, we're developing our future leaders.
Speaker 2: Steve, thank you so much for your time today. We've had you on before and we'll have you back talk to you again.
Speaker 3: It's a leader.
Speaker 2: Thank I'm great to be hereer dot com.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk about the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. I did not cover the original Battle of Lexington and conquered, but conquered two point fifty celebration will be coming up later this month that we're going to talk with one of the leaders of that executive committee affect the CoA chair, Rob Monroe, what you might want to do on Patriots Day. We'll be back right after the newsbreak at the bottom of the arm My name is Dan Ray. You're listening to Night Side.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Suzanne.
Speaker 2: Now we are going to get into the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the historic battles at both Lexington and conquered, and tonight we have with us Rob Munroe, who's the co chair of the Conquered two point fifty Executive Committee. Rob, it seems like yesterday that battle broke out, but I guess it's two hundred and fifty years ago.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm very well, my friend. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: You more than welcome.
Speaker 2: So tell us about Conquered two fifty.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of curious.
Speaker 2: I remember Conquered two hundred when Gerald Ford, if I'm not mistaken, yes, was involved. I don't suspect that we're going to have President Trump there because he's he's kind of busy with a lot of things right now. But what's it's going to be on the big date of April nineteenth.
Speaker 5: I assume that's correct. Yeah, So we are planning a big day of celebrations on Saturday, April nineteenth, which is two hundred and fifty years to the day, and we will we will kick it off bright and early with a with a dawn salute, which is a solemn, really nice ceremony that we do at the bridge, the North Bridge here at Conquered. We then will have our parade, which is a larger ad that we usually have for Patriots Day. This will be about three point five three point seven miles long, about fourteen hundred or so participants. That will start around eight thirty in the morning. We will have we will have some speakers at the bridge midway through the parade, and then after the parade ends, we'll kick it off for the nice block party to celebrate in town here and Conquered, and then close out the day with a drone show around fifteen eight thirty that night. A drone show, that's right, yeah, ull.
Speaker 3: Drones back two hundred and fifty years ago tell us.
Speaker 5: About that they certainly did not know so in lieu of fireworks, which would you know be the more traditional route for form a celebration. We opted for drone shows partly for sustainability reasons. They are less harmful to the environment and they are more considerate of our animal friends, so dogs are not going to be cowering in fear when they hear fireworks go off or scoot in different directions. They're also much more customizable, so we can customize the drones to show the images that we want to be seen. So we'll be working with our friends to operate the drones to really light up the sky and show images that inspire the very themes that the two. It's celebrating independence, freedom and everything that we believe in and love here and conquered. So that would be a really special fifteen minutes that many of our residents will we'll get to see for the first time.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this question, And again I sometimes asked questions that I don't know, maybe if this is a surprise, but how many drones? I mean, are you going to have? How spectacular will this fifty seasons? How many drones be able to have up there without.
Speaker 3: Crashing into each other?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so what's what's remarkable about these drones? And I'm I'm closer to being a ludite than than a technologist, but I understand that these drones are We'll have a few hundred drones and synchronized together with there'll be a team of of folks on the ground who are operating these drones and working in a very tight geo perimeter to ensure they stay in formation. But once you set them and they customize their their plan, they do their thing, and it's going to be really exciting. They'll be they'll be super well lit up and they can move, as you can imagine, very quickly into different formations, so they can paint a series of wonderful pictures over those fifteen minutes. That would be really exciting.
Speaker 2: So let me let me go back to nineteen seventy five. Obviously, the big headliner there was Gerald Ford, who had just as sacred, well really less than a year before to the White House after Richard Nixon's resignation in August.
Speaker 3: Of seven and four.
Speaker 2: So he was a newly minted president, never elected either vice president or president. As a matter of fact, the only person hold that office and never to have been elected to that particular office. Is there a keynote speaker of some note, some note, or a series of speakers this year that that you can share with.
Speaker 3: Us at this point?
Speaker 2: And again I realized that sometimes you try to keep some surprises.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and where, And we're we're pretty firmly in that book. We are working closely with our local, regional and state elected officials and dignitaries to confirm the speaking arrangements. Those come together fairly last minute, as we work closely with with folks too to make sure their schedules work out and everything like that. We are working closely with the Governor's office to hopefully have her and Lieutenant Governor Driscol play some play some role in that day, which would be really exciting. Also working with our elected officials at the federal level, Representative Trahan and others to make sure that those folks who represent us have a have as much of a role in this as possible. We wanted to make sure it's a celebration, and so we want to make sure that those folks are there to help us on that day.
Speaker 2: How about some direct descendants. I got to believe that there are some people in Conquered who can claim direct lineage to some of the folks who are the.
Speaker 3: Fifty years ago this month.
Speaker 5: I am sure there are. We do not have a formal program for all of the descendants that are still around to play a role. I will say we've worked really closely with historians here and Conquered to unearthed a number of Conquered residents who fought in and participated in the early battles of the revolution. You know, we we assumed coming into the two fiftieth that we knew everyone who participated engaged in the battle and in these early battles, but that wasn't the case. So we spent a number of years and relied on the expertise of some fantastic local historians to do some hard digging and find a many more soldiers and folks who were present at the earliest battles of the Revolution.
Speaker 2: And so I'm sure a lot of those folks who were who were there two hundred and fifty years ago, you know, their families may have moved and lived anywhere around the world at the parts of the country. But I got to assume you're going to have some in conqueror who can still trace their lineage, and I think they would be, frankly people I'd love to hear from that day, more so than the politicians. The politicians they're always they were always available, but to find someone who can trace their you know, their own family roots to the battle of the Battles of Lexington and conquered just a late a last minute suggestion for something else that you can think about, Rob, I'm sure you have nothing else on your plate to worry about for the next two weeks.
Speaker 5: Best of life, not at all, But I appreciate the suggestion. And I'll also say to that point, we've been holding events for a year and a half already and you know, leading up to this event, and we will continue to support and sponsor and collaborate on events through the National two fiftieth in July twenty twenty six. So I will take that feedback and I think that's an excellent idea for us to consider as we as we go forward.
Speaker 2: Well, let me know and we certainly if you're going to have someone and you find someone, I'd love to talk to them as well, just to figure out if we're absolutely great, great, great great great or whatever. You know, how many generations you'd have to go back? You have to go back a few, but but but not you know, such a big number that some wouldn't be around, Rob, I appreciate it. How can folks get more information? What's the website?
Speaker 5: Absolutely so there's a number of ways, but they can check out Conquered two fifty dot com. We also can go through the Conquered website and then mass m a two fifty dot com also has information not just about Conquered events, but events throughout the Commonwealth as well. Because a lot of folks are going to be celebrating.
Speaker 7: On that day.
Speaker 2: Let's focus on conquered. You got the right to let me tell you you guys started this whole thing. Conquered two fifty dot com. Thanks very much, Rob, talk to you again.
Speaker 5: Really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks come much, Thank good bye, bye.
Speaker 2: Go talk about workplace incivility coming back. It's soaring kind of relate. Well, we talked to Steve McClatchy about when you think about it, he was talking about workplace bullying. Now we're going to talk about workplace incivility.
Speaker 3: It's sore.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk with David Allcott. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. Of course, you're listening to WBZ Boston on news radio ten thirty and your AM dial. I'm here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. WBZ is here seven days a week, twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year. And you could listen to us anywhere in the world. Just pull down the iHeart app, the iHeart Radio app, and you can make WBZ your presets. So therefore we will only be wherever you are. We'll only be a fingertip away. Back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Right after this, It's night Side with Dan Ray on wb Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back.
Speaker 2: We talked earlier tonight about workplace bullying, particularly from the bosses and workplaces. Now we're talking with David Allcott about workplace in civility. I'm not sure which which subsumes the other, workplace bullying or workplace incivility.
Speaker 3: So let's get a good description.
Speaker 2: I guess incivility probably is employee to employee as opposed to bullying, its boss to employee.
Speaker 3: Is that the distinction here?
Speaker 7: That's a that's a very good start, Dent for sure.
Speaker 3: Welcome daily. What's going on?
Speaker 7: That's much Ron just enjoying this beautiful new weather coming in loving it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: So workplace incivility is spiraling as companies want their employees to return to office and layoffs.
Speaker 3: I mean, you, you haven't.
Speaker 2: Had any workplace incivility because everybody's been working from home. How can companies, how can companies get a get a handle on this problem?
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you're you're gonna have to be reintroduced to your employees again because they are returning from another workplace into your new place, and they're they're not happy. First of all, they want to be able to stay at home and have the conveniences that go along with that, the traffic, all the other stuff. And true, it is that we've been soiled over the last couple of years. I know that doesn't feel like we've been spoiled, but that's basically what's been happening. Is we really had a huge opportunity as employees to be able to work out of the office, and now that we're having to return, really having to make that adjustment, and we just need some help to people do that.
Speaker 2: So so, is the incivility caused because everybody's kind of upset that they're back in the office atmosphere or is it that that there's always going to be a few quote unquote people who want to take advantage of a bad situation and stir the pod.
Speaker 3: Which is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of both of those sides. You know, we're going back into this place. We've had this wonderful, you know, opportunity to be able to stay at home, do the things, we're kind of our own hours, get the job done, this kind of stuff, and then we're coming back in place to the folks that are making the biggest upset about this are the ones who do not want to come back to work. The rest of us are just dealing with, Hey, this is the workplace we're coming back. We've got to be able to perform and this is the best place to do it. So that instability that's happening is between those two groups of employees, and now the managers are having to deal with that contentiousness, which is they've got all the other customers to deal with. Now they're dealing with this civility issues within their own employees.
Speaker 2: And what responsibility is it. I don't want to mix this segment with the segment we did earlier with Steve McClatchy, which is bullying.
Speaker 3: What responsibility is it?
Speaker 2: Because he was talking about bosses bullying employees. What responsibility is it for good bosses to realize that, hey, there's some incivility going on here, I mean, or are they just happy to have people back in the office.
Speaker 7: It's imperative Dane about this, because it's part of the perceptual reality of every great manager to be able to be aware of how the behavior is supporting the culture. If you will as being or not being sustained. That's the very first job of the manager is to make sure that stays in place, because that culture is what's sustaining the vision, and the vision is what you developed the marketplace right, and the solution of the problem. So all those things connected. So if you start having real issues like the sensibility at this social cultural issue, it's going to have the tripple effects into the marketplace and your customers and they're going to leave.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: What percentage I don't know if you've done a study on this, but what's what percentage of workplaces are do you think you're having this problem? Is this the exception to the rule or from what you understand the rule at this point?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, what's amazing about the survey that just came out about this was like thirty seven percent of workers reported some kind of toxic workplace, and the third of them said the group was their boss was to blame. So that's a significant I mean, it's a thousand workers, you know, from the survey that really worked, you know, participating in the survey, and that's not you know, the millions of people in business. But that's a pretty amazing snapshot of what's really going on as we re enter this new workplace mode and what really need to be focused on.
Speaker 2: Okay, since since you're my expert tonight on workplace incivility, is it either your opinion or other statistics to back up the fact that the incivility is greater now than it was before COVID hit. I mean, if we talk about February of twenty twenty as pre COVID and we talk about April of twenty twenty five as post COVID returned to the workplace, is it worse, a little better or about the same or has it My suspicion is it could be worse if you're adding into the chemical the analysis. People don't want to be there in the first place. That's what I'm saying now.
Speaker 7: As a matter of fact, I think your perception is really what on pace is what we talk to employees employers every single day is that there is a much worse case scenario because people are just really battling this going back to the workplace and being held accountable. And that's what's really stirring the pots. Because they've been at home, they've been doing their task. They may getting their work done with this new kind of coming back in the workplace and having these managers kind of helicopter over them and hey, what are you doing and let me check you know how many times you're bringing up this report or whatever. The helicopter mendor of concept that really does stir the pot in that culture.
Speaker 2: So the instability is I guess, the bullying and the incivility. We conclude kind of two sides of the same coin, as they say. We talked with Steve McClatchy, who is a training consultant primarily for bosses, but it sounds to me like this is kind of a different side of the same coin, that the bosses are being a bullying and also being in civil or uncivil.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as a matter of fact, you know, you sit back and say, why are the bosses bullying people? What's their outcome? And it's usually out some level of control they don't feel that they have right. They're in fear. What's the employee doing? Well, they're in fear as well. So you're wanting to be able to manage to fear based on someone who's already in fear, and you can, you can. That's just Great's all kinds of task itself.
Speaker 2: I want you, I want you to notate that I'm doing this show and I've been doing the show remotely now for several years. I'm really much happier to remotely. I mean, uh, and I'm very I'm I'm very happy, and I'm very appreciative of the fact that my company is letting me do this. But I they agree to it in my contract actually, and it saves a lot of my commute. I was in my office to well what was my you know, office today for the first time in several months, and everybody was lovely. The spirit was good, and maybe they should they should.
Speaker 3: Just keep that way.
Speaker 2: I don't know, David tell Us, how could folks get in touch with you? You're the CEO of something called Samurai Success. I know that's alltrative, but when I think of Samurai Success, I think of some guy with a sword.
Speaker 7: Well, it's funny because our book is actually about the Swords of Illumination, which is about a lot of these things when we deal with human beings, about how we react, on how we respond, and how to change that behavior on your own kind of stuff. So that's what the book is about. But Samurai Success dot com is the best way to reach us. And funny you mentioned it so beautifully is that samurai, loosely translated, it means in service of others. So samurai success is in service of others success, and that's what we do.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I always thinking of the guys with the Samurai swords doing battle. That's I could be wrong. I could be wrong. Hey, David Alcott, I appreciate it very much. Thank you so much. You're good sport and we talked about a tough subject in a positive way.
Speaker 3: So thank you so much.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Man me back, good night, Okay, get back. We're going to talk about a story that you may not have heard of. And I know that it's tough when we tell you about a story, but the story was really broken today by the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald also has reported this. An all star red Sox player, in a piece that's it's going to be released on Netflix this week, admits that he tried to commit suicide.
Speaker 3: It's a frightened story, but it's one that we need to hear.
Speaker 2: Please stick with us and we'll tell you about a story in which a gun failed to go off and as a result, that gentleman is still playing for the Boston Red Sox. It's crazy, it's a crazy story, but one that there's a lesson for all of us. Back on night side, right after the nine o'clock news