Speaker 1: Auditing the legislature. That is what question one is all about. And the Yes on one lead has been growing by the half hour. Now Yes on one supporting the audit of the legislature that is up seventy two to twenty eight percent. Question two of the question about ending the mcast requirement for high school graduation, about sixteen percent reporting here. Yes on two up sixty to forty percent. Ballot question three the question about giving rideshare drivers the right to unionize, Yes, vote holding fifty four to forty six. Interesting thing here because earlier the question on psychedelics Yes on four was leading and it became very close, and now that question is starting to shift. Now No on four is taking a lead fifty seven to forty three percent. And that's not five questions has it been.
Speaker 2: No But we do have one more and that wouldn't make fune two, three, four five. Wbz's jaw Left tells us more about what question five is about.
Speaker 3: Question five on the ballot asks if tipped workers should make an increasing wage up to the state minimum on top of gratuity. If Massachusetts voters ops know on this one, nothing changes to how they're paid. But if it is a yes, majority servers, bartenders, barbers, bell hops would all work their way up to fifteen bucks an hour over the course of five years. It would also open up the door to tip pooling, where gratuity can be shared with back end staff like cooks and cleaners, though that's only optional. Those in favor say the law would protect employees vulnerable to wage theft and exploitation by their bosses. Those against say all this really does is spell a pay cut to servers, arguing patrons will give less as a result, and Massachusetts already requires employers to cover the difference if it's a slow night for tips. J Willette WBZ, Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: As it stands right now, No. One five is taking a bigger lead, sixty five to thirty five percent. A victory lap for Senator Elizabeth Warren.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Warren hung on in her Senate tour Senate seat after defeating Republican challenger John Deaton in a landslide today. She gave a victory speech just a short time ago.
Speaker 4: We have reminded people that government can be harnessed to work not just for the wealthy and well connected, but that we can actually make government work.
Speaker 5: For the people.
Speaker 2: This will be Warren's third term in office. Meantime, John Deaton says he called to congratulate Warren and offer his assistance if need be. After conceding, Daton spoke to supporters at Nash Bar on Tremont Street, saying he's proud of his campaign. Speaking with reporters, Daton says, the way we talk about politics needs to change on both sides of the political spectrum.
Speaker 6: I think both sides have shown that they're part of the problem.
Speaker 5: You know, we had an.
Speaker 6: American president almost have his head blown off on live TV, and the rhetoric still didn't go that it's his thought too, and it's on their faut.
Speaker 5: We've seen a president sitting president called truck supporters garbage.
Speaker 6: We just like we saw Hillary Clinton say deplorable, and we just got.
Speaker 5: To stop doing that.
Speaker 2: Deeden says the key is compromised now. Hampshire voters are deciding on the states two congressional seats, as well as who will be the next governor. WBZ Shery Small is here with the latest cherry.
Speaker 7: Ben Democrats in the lead so far in both congressional districts. The race in New Hampshire's first congressional district is between incumb and Democrat Chris Pappis and Republican Russell Prescott, with fifty five percent of the precincts reporting so far, Pappis has fifty five percent of the vote to Prescott's forty four percent. The race in New hampshire second congressional district is between Democrat Maggie Goodlander and Republican Lily Tang Williams, with forty six percent of the precincts reporting. In that race, Goodlander leading fifty six to forty three percent. Now for governor, it's a Republican canon to Kelly Ayot versus Democrat Joyce Craig. Aot, we can tell you has just thanked her supporters for a victory.
Speaker 8: Craig has conceded.
Speaker 7: But we have to say the AP has not yet called this race, but it's evident Aot is the Granite State's next governor.
Speaker 2: Ben Somebody's had to win, we know that much. We've got an update now on some of the numbers in the presidential race. Colorado has just called its race for Kamala Harrish. She has now won ten states and has one hundred and nine electoral votes. Former President Donald Trump has won seventeen states so far. He has one hundred and ninety eight electoral votes out of the two hundred and seventy electoral votes that are needed for victory. Josh Stein winning the gubernatorial race in North Carolina, he just thanked his supporters.
Speaker 9: Fundamentally, this campaign is about you and all of the young people of North Carolina. We want all of you to want to call North Carolina home the same way we do.
Speaker 2: Governor elect Stein. He won the race over in battled Republican incumbent Mark Robinson, whose campaign was dragged into the national limelight when reports surfaced about controversial comments he had allegedly made in the past. Those included comments in which Robinson literally called himself a black Nazi, as well as comments on a porn website. The White House says President Biden's already called to congratulate North Carolina's new governor elect. It is still too early to call the swing state of Georgia. It is right now leaning in Trump's direction, and CBS's Alison Keys tells us one voter block is turning out for the former president.
Speaker 8: Our polling shows fifty four percent of Independence. In Georgia went for Republican nominee Trump compared to forty three percent for Democrat Harris, but in North Carolina, the two candidates tied among independents who went for President Biden in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: President Biden had flipped the Peach state blue four years ago in route to winning the White House. All eyes, sir, on the outcome of this election day. There's been lots of drama, laws of frayed nerves. Americans, though, are not the only ones who are keeping a close eye on the polls. China's watching too.
Speaker 3: China has no official position but perverse stability, and I.
Speaker 2: Think that probably means Harris.
Speaker 3: A Trump presidency, of course, would mean tariffs that would further hurt a slow in Chinese economy and a potential trade war.
Speaker 2: And of course questions remain. I think about how far either candidate would support Taiwan. That is ABC's Ian Penell. You are listening to us WBZ for the election results tonight, and of course we thank you for that. If you happen to be in New York City, you could be watching the Empire State Building for the election results. Sort of. The building is decked out in red, white, and blue tonight and when it comes to results, if a swing state is called for Vice President Harris, the iconic building shines blue for five minutes. If a state is called for former President Trump, the lights are red for five minutes, And if, by chance, the race is called tonight, the building will shine either red or blue for the remainder of the evening. Keep it too to WBZ News Radio. Will keep you up to date throughout the evening, throughout the overnight hours, and of course first thing tomorrow morning with Jeff Brown as we continue to await all of the results of Election Day twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: Now Night Side with Dan Ray, an election Night special on wb Z, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 5: This is Dan Ray, and this is twenty twenty four. We won't have another one of these nights for four years. That's what makes the night special with me. Also, someone who makes the night special, Congressman Seth Moulton here from Massachusetts Congress and Moulton represents the sixth Congressional district up in the northeast corner of the state.
Speaker 2: Congress.
Speaker 5: Molton, welcome back to Nightside, Dan.
Speaker 11: You're very kind. It's great to be back with you.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sure you've had a pretty easy night because you, along with foro of the other members of the delegation, are uncontested, and you now have been elected to Congress. This will start your sixth term. Time flies when you're having fun. Congressman, I would.
Speaker 11: Say, well, time does fly, and it's not always fun, but it does feel important right now with everything atake.
Speaker 12: No, but it's honestly, Dan, it's a question.
Speaker 11: I get a lot. It's success. Why do you put up with this? How do you keep doing this? How do you stay sane? I mean, this is my friends, you know, asking these questions and and my family, and I get it. I get the concern, but actually the craziness makes it feel to me like, you know, now more than ever, try to try to keep some sane heads in Washington.
Speaker 5: Maybe this would make you feel better. But good friends of mine will ask me the same thing about my job. They'll say, not put it that yours is a much more important job than mine. Let's talk about what's going on across the country tonight. I'm watching CNN, I'm watching a little bit of Fox, and it looks to me like this racist indeed going to be as tight as the pollsters predicted. So far, it seems to be falling a script and at some point, obviously there's going to be a break point here. It looks like a tennis match that's going five sets. What is your sense as you watch this tonight from you know, from from home?
Speaker 11: That's my sense exactly as well. And I've been on the ground in swing states. It's felt really close, felt really close. I was down in Arizona, it was down Pennsylvania. You know, It's it's felt very close over the last several weeks. And I don't think we're going to know the results tonight. I mean we might, we might wake up in the morning and know the results, but there's a really good chance that we won't actually know the final results for a few days. We'll just have to see.
Speaker 5: Is that because of the slow count that is expected in Pennsylvania, each state does they count a little differently? And because Pennsylvania is not only close, but it's also very meticulously accounted. Is that a fair assessment?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 11: And there are just different procedures for when mail in votes are counted. For example, some are not even opened until election day. Until it takes a long time to go through them. Other states count them in advance. Uh. You know, these are state by state election laws, and so it depends. I mean, I remember Arizona took a while to get called last time. Uh maybe it won't be as close this time. You know, we don't know, but but I just I think people need to be prepared for this fact that this could drag out. And what often happens is sometimes the late votes that come in are are heading in a different direction. I mean, I remember in my first race, all the small towns, places like West Newbury where I think that was the first town to call in. Uh, they counted their votes pretty quickly. It took a while for big cities like Lyn uh to get their votes in. And uh, you know, Lynn could completely change the.
Speaker 2: Election for me.
Speaker 11: So uh, this is this is something that that you get used to. But uh, I'll tell you, Dan, after after speaking with you, I'm going to bed.
Speaker 5: Well, I appreciate you staying up late. So I just got to ask a couple other questions. One, I'm sure you're monitoring this around the country. The Senate looks like it's going to flip to the Republicans because of Montana and West Virginia, maybe Ohio. The House could flip back to the Democrats. Do you get a sense as to what's going on? I mean this for you know, four hundred and thirty five, four hundred and thirty eight races around the country. I'm sure you can't put your well, you can't take the pulse in all of them. But what sort of a chance do the Democrats have of getting at least a House of Representatives back tonight to balance off whatever I think it's at the White House?
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, I think it's a good chance. But I think you've summarized it well, which is that we've known for frankly, for years now that this was going to be a tough year for Democrats in the Senate, just based on the races that they were up for re election. And you know, a lot a lot of people have been saying for a while that they thought Democrats have the House in the bag. I've never said that. I've always said I think the House will be closed. Let's not forget the Republicans are ahead right now in the House. They have control of the majority right now, so you know, we have to flip that. And on top of that, when you just look at how gerry mandering, something that you know originated here in Massachusetts, but screwing up elections across the country ever since. You know that that the current map, the current gerrymandered map across the country does favor Republicans. So there are a couple of things working against Democrats here. You know, I think insiders know that the Republican Congress in the House has been a disaster under Speaker Johnson. They can't seem to get anything done, can't get out of their own way, didn't even have a speaker for three weeks, the first time in American history that that's happened. But you know, these races are this has decided race by race right across the country, and people aren't always voting on just how you know a Republican and Speaker does. They're just looking at the candidates that are going to represent them. And I think when you go race by race, it's pretty close.
Speaker 5: To two final questions. One, if it goes against UH your party tonight, either at the House level or at the presidential level, is it time for a shakeup of leadership UH in the in the Democratic Party and specifically within within Congress. Has this been an an experiment that maybe the American people were not quite ready for. I'm not talking Minister the Harris campaign, and I'm talking about the last four years of Democratic leadership.
Speaker 11: Well, I think the question is what a shakeup looks like because I've always been one calling for, you know, new generation of leadership, new ideas.
Speaker 5: Asking the question is why I'm asking the.
Speaker 11: Question right, appealing to a broader, uh, swath of Americans. Right, we want to be the majority party. We've got to get a majority voters on our side. That should be pretty obvious. But I think that there will be some real time to step down and say, Okay, what exactly does that look like? Because you know, we did have a generational change going from Biden to Harris. I was the third in the House, in the whole Congress actually House or Senate to come out and say that needed to happen.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 11: On the on the other hand, it doesn't. I also advocated, UH for Harris breaking away more from Biden. I love Biden, she loves Biden. She's a grace. She was a great loyal vice president. But I think one thing she could have done differently in this campaign is said here's where I'm going to be different than the president. You know, I'm going to handle immigration differently, or I'm going to handle the economy differently. I think she should have been willing to will to break with the past a bit more we do have.
Speaker 5: She was asked that question, She was asked that question point blank, and she just didn't have an answer.
Speaker 11: I was shocked by that. Yeah, I think that I think she did. Go ahead, Well, I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Say that's a tough question for you on this one. We'll talk about a greater, greater depth. But I just want to no matter who wins or how this all shakes out, we need to come together as a country. And and I know that you share that thought with me. But just a few final comments on the need for us to get together as Americans and to put this this, this divide, this this really horrible divide behind us.
Speaker 11: We do need to come together. And the level of just sheer vitriol, the name calling, the the baseless disinformation, the attacks on our democracy itself, you know, saying that elections are rigged, claiming that Trump won the last election when he clearly did not, just making up facts and whatnot that has got to end because that undermines the principles of our democracy.
Speaker 5: You know what, congress Manhak, I hate to do this here, but I agree with you totally on that. And unfortunately I should have asked you such a technical question because we're flat out of time. But I want to have you back and let's let's explore this in greater length on another evening, if that's okay with you, because I think it's important to discuss. Seth Molton. Thank you so much for joining us tonight. Thank you for giving it very much. We'll talk so we will be back with more of our special election coverage here on nightside. We'll be talking with Governor Chris Sinunu of New Hampshire in the next half hour.
Speaker 10: Campaign twenty twenty four America votes. This is WBZ Boston's News.
Speaker 2: Radio sixty three degrees in Boston at ten thirty. Good evening. I'm Ben Parker. Here's what's happening. New Hampshire elect's Republican Kelly Ayott for governor. WBZ Sherry Small is here with the latest on the election in the Granite State.
Speaker 7: Cherry replacing the outgoing Republican Governor Christ Nunu with Republican Kelly Aot. This was a hard fought race which has bombarded the television airwaves with contentious attack ads between the two candidates that went on for months. Aot defeating former Manchester Mayor Joyce Craig Tonight, Craig conceding and posting this message on X saying quote, I first got involved in public service when I ran for school board. I wanted to strengthen our public schools and uplift my community. I am proud of the race we ran focusing on these issues. I called Kelly Aot and wished her luck in leading our great state.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: Ayot had statewide name recognition going into this as a former one term senator and attorney general, and she also had the endorsement of Governor Sanunu all Right. As far as the two congressional district races, District one incumbent Democrat Chris pappis with a nearly ten point lead over Republican Russell Prescott right now, House District two Democrat Maggie Goodlander a solid eleven lead over Republican Lily Tang Williams. The AP has not yet called either of those races.
Speaker 2: Been all Right, Jerry Massachusetts senior senator declaring a re election victory to iwz's Madison Rogers. Is at the headquarters of the party tonight.
Speaker 13: Projections say it's going to be another six years in Washington for Senator Elizabeth Warren.
Speaker 4: We have reminded people that government can be harnessed to work not just for the wealthy and well connected, but that week can actually make government work for the people.
Speaker 13: Senator took the stage as her campaign and local Democrats celebrate. She outlined a top fight ahead and said in her third term she'll prioritize things like bringing down the cost of childcare and housing and restoring ropy Wade protections. It has still yet to be seen how in breached those goals are. The balance of power still teetering in Washington, Senator Warren telling the crowd it's going to be a long night, maybe a long week, but no matter what happens, she's ready for the fight ahead. In the South End, I'm Madison Rogers WVZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: And on Tremont Street, her Republican challenger, John Deaton, conceding alongside his supporters. He says it was an uphill battle going against an incumbent Warren, and that change takes time.
Speaker 6: I wish the race was more competitive than it was, but you know, something changed is hard.
Speaker 2: Afterward, Deaton spoke with reporters calling for an end to the inflammatory comments on both sides of the political aisle.
Speaker 5: I don't know when the word compromise became such a bad word, but you have to compromise when you're in a divide.
Speaker 2: A country, when Dedon says, he called Warren after the wind to congratulate her and to offer his support. Father of the nine Massachusetts members of Congress were unopposed today. Laurie Trahan, Jacob and Klauss, Katherine Clark, Seth Moulton, and Aana Presley had no challengers. In terms of those with a challenger. District one, Congressman Richard Neal wins his challenge from Independent Nadiam Millern. In District two, Jim McGovern up his challenger, while Stephen Lynch wins over Republican Robert Burke. Bill Keating is still in a battle with Dan Sullivan and District nine, though Keating has a pretty healthy lead so far. Ten thirty three, Let's get you caught up on traffic and weather together, the SUPERU retailers something new England all wheel drive traffic called the threes. Where would you like to go, Steve, Well, let's look.
Speaker 14: Downtown where as promised, and I'm sorry to report Bike East is down to one lane from commav through the Credential Tunnel. That's going to slow you down westbound work on the way. The deck to connect her and the Tobin are fine, so the Airport tunnel south of the city Route twenty four north reducing speed with a lane taken prior to Route one forty. No trouble on the expressway Route three north. The work crew in Duxbury at Route fourteen a brief slow down there, and then we have roadwork on four ninety five slowing things down just a bit. Southbound of Middleborough at Route twenty eight and then northbound past ninety five north of town Won.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight north.
Speaker 14: There was a crash and a work zone at Walnut Street in Lynnfield. The left lane still closed there for work. The crash is cleared, no longer jam, but it's still going to slow you down ninety three south to set up a spot pond, not a problem. Then you're at the speed limit with the left lane taken Roosevelt Circle to Route sixty four ninety five. Work crew delays both ways northbound at mass Ave and southbound and.
Speaker 2: Over at Route twenty eight.
Speaker 14: To the west on the Pike, work crews both ways by the Charlton Service Plaza slow you down on the westbound side four ninety five north under the speed limit with work between the Pike and Route nine. More delay southbound and Berlin at Route sixty two, and then the ramp to two ninety is closed on to ninety east. No trouble passing work in Worcester at Route nine. Steve PEREZWBZ twenty four hour traffic network.
Speaker 2: As we check the four day actually weather forecast, how about we just check a couple of days. Yeah, like tomorrow, it's going to be well into the seventies. We could break a record with sunshine will still be above normal as we head through the rest of the week.
Speaker 10: Your complete coverage of campaign twenty twenty four continues now on WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Massachusetts voters had five ballot questions to consider along with all of the racists. Today, WBC's Nicole Davis is here and a little better idea about how some of these are shaking out, yeah, a.
Speaker 1: Little bit, Ben, But let's start this time with question two. That is the one, of course, about removing the MCASS as a graduation requirement. Now about twenty three percent of the results in Yes on two leads sixty to forty percent. It's been there for about an hour or so. Ballot question three, the question about giving rideshare drivers the right to form a union, about twenty two percent in now yes on three, winning by a closer margin now fifty four to forty six percent. The results on question four on psychedelics continuing now to diverge, not as close as it was right now about twenty two percent reporting No on four leads fifty seven to forty three percent. Now question five, that question about raising the minimum wage for tipped employees, No on five, leading the charge sixty five to thirty five percent. And of course we have one more question, Ben, and this one's about keeping Beacon Hill in check.
Speaker 2: The last question we're watching, Nicole, is actually the first one on the list. It's question one in wwz's Kyle Schaffle as if question.
Speaker 15: One in your ballot passes, it would greenlight a probe of Beacon Hill lawmakers by the state auditor. Auditor Diana Desaglio would be able to demand the state legislature turn over some internal documents, like spending receipts. She says the legislature keeps a lid on too much. It's been ranked timing again as one of the most secretive in the nation, and she says if they've got nothing to hide.
Speaker 2: They'd let her look at the books.
Speaker 15: Disauglio has been locked in a struggle with Beacon Hill power brokers over transparency since the early days of her career. Now it's all coming to a very public head. Opponents and Hill leaders say the ballot question is political grandstanding and that an audit from Desaglio violates the separation of powers.
Speaker 11: Even if the.
Speaker 15: Measure does pass, Attorney General Andrea Campbell isn't sure it's constitutional. A court battle is likely, and lawmakers could gut it or appeal it anyway. Kyle schaffeld WBZ, Boston Shoge Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get you caught up on what's going on in the presidential race. Obviously, no winner declared yet, but in some states yes, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, among the states that have gone for Kamala Harris tonight, while Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma all among the states that have gone for Donald Trump. Right now, the electoral College vote sits like this. Former President Trump with one hundred and ninety eight Kamala Harris with one hundred and twelve two hundred and seventy are needed to win the White House. ABC exit polls showing democracy, the economy, and abortion rights were among the issues at the top of America's minds as the last of the polls will eventually close across the country, ABC's Wick Johnson is at mar Lago where the former president is spending election night.
Speaker 16: There are a lot of young men in the audience here. I was at Madison Square Garden with that big rally there some twenty thousand people, and I spoke to a lot of these young men and asked them what it was about Donald Trump that appealed to that. Many of them either weren't old enough to vote before, or maybe didn't participate in politics in the past, but they were drawn to him for a variety of reasons. Immigration and the economy were a big part of it.
Speaker 2: A lot of these.
Speaker 16: Young men who feel like the the middle class American dream is difficult to achieve, difficult to reach. They felt like they could connect with Trump and he was the man who could help them get there.
Speaker 2: And former President Trump, as we told you, has already won the state of Florida. Meantime, the Harris campaign is convening at her alma mater, Howard University. Even though the former president has a lead in the electoral college and popular vote, the Vice President's hoping her work in the swing states like Nevada will help flip the tide where voters are concerned about the economy.
Speaker 17: The Harris campaign is well aware of all of those issues, especially in Nevada. It's why she unveiled her housing plan in that state. She knew that she had to hammer home the issue of the economy and make clear that that was going to be her top priority, that lowering the cost of groceries was going to be at her very first priority when she gets into office. You always said she would pass, if elected, this big economic package of bills to do just that. The question is whether that message got across and was enough.
Speaker 2: That is ABC's Mary Bruce the key swing state of Georgia still too close to call, even though about ninety percent of the votes there have already been tallied. ABC's Rick Kline with the latest numbers the.
Speaker 18: Atlanta metro area. We've seen a significant amount of vote in Fulton County. It's a place where Harris has to be winning big, and she is winning big, almost exactly, hitting her benchmark to cab County again, almost exactly at that number.
Speaker 2: In some of the.
Speaker 18: Outlying suburbs of Atlanta. Donald Trump doing very well. Gwinnette County is going to be very important. It's about eight nine percent of the entire state right now. Harris up about sixty forty there.
Speaker 2: And with just over ten percent of the vote still to be counted in Georgia, former President Trump holding a fifty one to forty eight percent margin a lead in Georgia. President Biden did flip the Peach state blue four years ago en route to his White House victory. Florida voters strike down a ballot measure aimed at loosening up the state's strict limits on reproductive rights.
Speaker 11: STARTA.
Speaker 19: Voters have rejected an abortion rights amendment and are keeping in place. Governor Ron DeSantis's six week ban. The initiative failed to get the sixty percent threshold required. The measure face an uphill battle in the deeply read state, were former President Donald Trump, a Florida resident, said during the campaign he would vote against the measure. About one fourth the voters have said abortion policy was the single most important factor for their vote. That's according to ap vote cast, a sweeping survey of more than one hundred and ten thousand voters nationwide.
Speaker 2: A'm Heyependwani Josh Stein wins North Carolina's scubernatorial race over in battled Republican incumbent Mark Robinson. Governor elect Stein touched on the state's battle to recover from Hurricane Helene in his victory speech.
Speaker 9: Our hearts are with the folks of western North Carolina who are still struggling Hurricane Helene swept in devastation, destruction, and darkness. But the goodness of North KILLINNY and shown through neighbors helping neighbors, people dropping everything to lend the hand.
Speaker 2: The White House, Todaight says President Biden has already made congratulatory calls to Governor elect Stein, the former attorney general beat out in common but who's been battling controversy ever since reports surfaced about scandalous comments he allegedly made in the past. Marijuana is a top issue in some states this selection day. Massachusetts legalized recreational pod in twenty sixteen, but this year's voters in Florida rejected a ballot measure to legalize recreational marijuana in their state. Voters in the Dakota's voted on similar measures. Those talies still too close to call. Meantime, in Nebraska, they're voting on whether or not to legalize medical cannabis. Nebraska is just one of six states where marijuana is still completely outlawed, even in medical settings. Many young Americans casting ballots for the first time in their lives this year. CBS is Allison Keys catching up with the first time voter.
Speaker 8: Eighteen year old Tim casts first ballot and says it's a big deal.
Speaker 11: I really feel like my voice is being heard, even though it's one vote.
Speaker 8: He was initially turned away from the polling place because he was wearing a Trump van's T shirt and political attire isn't allowed at the polls, but he is.
Speaker 2: Proud of Trump. I just I think he did better for a.
Speaker 8: And being from Texas, tem says.
Speaker 18: I really think the biggest thing for me is immigration.
Speaker 8: Allison Key CBS News.
Speaker 2: The FBI warning about fabricated videos promoting disinformation about voter fraud and threats to polling places. While experts say those fraudsters are pretending to be from the FBI, likely they were working for Russia. The FBI says fake videos made claims about the risk of violence and polling places even claimed voting machines we're switching ballots in favor of Vice President Kamala Harris. Experts say it's likely the work of Russian disinformation groups known for impersonating media organizations and US agencies. Keep a turn to WBZ. We've got you covered all throughout the night and overnight and into the first part of tomorrow and well the rest of your life. Really will always be here for you, So you be here and will take care of you on the iHeartRadio app. You can take us with you anywhere you go so you never miss a thing.
Speaker 10: Night Side with Dan Ray continues now on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 5: Welcome back everyone. We had delighted to be joined by the Governor of the great State of New Hampshire, my hap, my personal favorite governor, Governor Chris Sonunu and Governor Sonunu, I want to wish you a happy birthday today.
Speaker 12: Happy birthday, Nah who cares. Yeah, we're not.
Speaker 5: We're not going to put the number on it. But this is a big one as I understand it.
Speaker 12: Okay, it's a big one. It's a big one, but it's really about a look at at the end of the day, this is a great night, great election in New Hampshire. It's all I really cared about. So the dust will settle in a few in a few days and I'll be like, oh crap, I have to buy reading glasses or something like that. But now I'm just celebrating, trying to Yeah.
Speaker 5: Remember you can go to CBS and Walgreens and they're like twenty bucks seaven just you can lose them and everything. Look, tell us about the governor up there money.
Speaker 12: I have to save the money for the ozembic.
Speaker 5: Uh. You you were all in on this race. I thought that the commercials that you did for Kelly A probably won her the election. You're not going to say that, but I'll say that, what was the margin of up there tonight? What do you expect the margin to be.
Speaker 12: I think it's gonna end up being four or five at least, it's definitely bigger. I won in twenty sixteen and then the last open race by two points, and that was like a landslide. So Kelly definitely outdid me in a lot of towns, which was just great to see. And more importantly, let me tell you how crazy it is because Trump did not do well up here, right, he didn't invest any money, he didn't invest any time. So to have an open race for governor that then outpaces the presidential ticket by ten points, that's incredible. I mean, it's really incredible that she was able to pull off such a strong win, and just at a testament to how she ran the message she ran. She didn't talk about things that the party wanted or she wanted. She talked about things that the voters wanted. And that's a huge fundamental difference between her and her opponent. Her opponent just kind of ran this big, negative, anti party message all on on abortion and reproductive rates. Important issue, fine, but not an issue for us. You're not a top priority in here. It's not really a problem in New Hampshire. So it was a hugely flawed uh strategy on their part. But you know, at the end of the day, Kelly was just a not just a better candidate, but a better connector to the people on the ground.
Speaker 5: Again, I want to come back. It was a spot that you did, which I know you pretty well, and I thought, you know you you connected. You looked in that camera and you kind of smiled at people and said the New Hampshire Way, and it connected. I do not understand by the way the ad that she did with her husband. I thought that was embarrassing, but that's but I guess you.
Speaker 12: Know, people love that ad. It's the number one respond to that. Yeah, people people thought it was normal. I don't know. People thought it was normal and silly enough. So I don't know.
Speaker 5: Talked about her snoring. It was what what is he gonna say next? It was like it was terrified, terrifying. Let's talk about the national race. I am uh to see where this seems to be trending tonight. What is your take on this?
Speaker 12: Yeah? No, I mean, look, I've always thought, I really do believe in the last month, especially that Trump was going to win. I think this is what's going to happen. I've said it for a while and maybe I'm right, Maven wrong, but I think Trump is going to do better than everybody thought. It's going to be close. I don't I think he's going to declare victory. I don't think Kamala is going to concede. I think you're gonna have recounts for a couple of days and you know, getting these last townsend votes in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, in But at the end of the day, whether it's a couple of days from now or a week from now, I think that the Harris campaign is going to have to fold it up. And it's not they kept looking at polls. The difference is it's not the polls. It's the non poll data. It's the early ballots. It's the lead the Democrats thought they would have in the early voting states that they just didn't have. It's the fact that Trump is going to get. This guy's going to get a bigger vote for a presidential candidate than ever before from Latinos in African Americans. Right, So he's going to be the most popular presidential Republican presidential kendidate for Latino and African American voters in history that's hard to overcome. And so there's all these kind of things that aren't spoken about in the general media. They just look at these big national poll numbers. But on the ground, this is where it is. And Trump voters tend to keep everything close to the vest that we always know that they come out of the woodwork at the last minute. The Democrat message nationally has been you better vote for Kamala or else you don't believe in democracy. It's like a shaming type thing they were doing. That's not a way to earn people's trust. And so what that drives is a false narrative. On the polls. People say, yeah, yeah, I'm going to vote for Kamlay, just stop yelling at me. But at the end of the day, they're going to vote for what they think is in the best in their family's interests. And they might not like Trump, they might not like his personality, but they want a fundamental change in administration and culture down in DC.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you and I are pretty close philosophically, and I think in terms of what we feel about President Trump. I never had president President Trump maybe future President Trump on the show, and it's amazing to me as somebody who's covered presidential elections literally going back to nineteen seventy six and having interviewed Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter as a young reporter, and having obviously the Reagan years and then the Bush years, and there was always reach out to minority groups that Jack Kemp used to try to do that and did it pretty successfully. But he was always that minority voice within the Republican Party that there are people in groups that have traditionally been Democratic who can identify with a Republican message. And Donald Trump above all was able to deliver that message, which again it's stunning, and it's also stunning to think that this guy who lost with such a lack of grace was able to somehow bring himself back through indictments. I mean, he put it all on the credible.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's incredible. It's it's an internet.
Speaker 5: Look.
Speaker 12: I was over in Dublin on a trade mission recently, and then I was in Greece doing something for a robotics program for education and Europe. People don't realize Europe right now is absolutely one hundred and fifty percent glued to this and they have been for the last six months, they are fascinated with what's happening here to the point that you just made, because you have somebody like Trump who's gone through all this turmoil and all this craziness and all the crazy things he says, and the indictments and all this stuff, and now it looks like he's actually going to win again, and he's again his I think, as everybody gets now, he's not connecting with people on a policy or if he connects with people with an attitude, with a pride in America, with a toughness, with I'm going to fight. You know, we're Americans. We got that in our DNA.
Speaker 11: A little bit.
Speaker 12: And I think too often the politicians go, well, this policy will help you, so you should vote for me because I'm going to help you, as opposed to kind of thinking a little broader and understanding what the DA and a of a free market American is all about. And there's something there that Trump connects with, and there's just no denying it.
Speaker 5: I follow some of the betting pools in Europe and have watched them intense interest in this race with the bookies on in London. I was stunned that he did not invite Nicki Haley to come out on the campaign trail with him, and I almost felt that he would have preferred to have lost the White House and all the implications of that, rather than share any any glory with with anyone other than himself. Am I reading that wrong?
Speaker 12: Well, I'll say this, I don't think he was willing to lose. I think the numbers just showed that the vast majority of Nicki voters were already with them, right. They were good, they were Republican voters. They like me, They wanted to change, they wanted the next generation. They fought hard for it. But at the end of the day, we're not voting for this insanity that Kamala was when and the and the buying campaign were bringing. And more importantly, I go to the statement, I say it a lot that a couple of the interviews she did in one week, she did like three straight interviews, but she was asked, what is going to be different? Like softballs, like the number one question. You should have been really prepared to answer back in July, Well, I can't. Nothing comes to mind. You want to be the leader of the free world, and nothing comes to mind about what you're going to do different. It was a mind bogglingly bad answer, and right at that point, combined with the vice presidential debate, which, believe it or not, I do think I had an impact. I think people were told yeah, and I think people were told that jd Vance was, you know, wacky and all this stuff, and he came up measured, incredibly smart, cordial, clearly willing to walk work across the aisle, not vindictive, and they said, Okay, this is the future of the Republican Party that we're voting for. We can buy into this. So it was a combination of things that were Kamala just really blew it. And so because they there was no there there, it was kind of an empty suit. And so again, the race isn't over. We'll see where all this goes. But sure, I think people like to your point, I think we're all pretty surprised. I got this close anyways, And now it looks like he's going to win Virginia. Some of these states that should have been walkaways for Kamala are are are being challenged.
Speaker 5: So I wonder what Joe Biden and Joe Biden are saying tonight in the Lincoln bedroom.
Speaker 12: You know, look my guess is they're more upset that Trump is winning than Kamala is losing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I really believe that. Look, I have said all along, the first person voting for Donald Trump was Gavin Newsom in California, because that guy's if Kamala had won, that guy's political career was over right. I mean, it means you can't run for president for eight years, that no one's going to care about him in eight year.
Speaker 5: So what we do, what we do know is there would be a different, a different Republican running in two thousand and twenty eight. Maybe it'll be Chris Soner and we'll say, hey, Chris, thanks so much again, happy birthday, and thanks so much.
Speaker 12: Thank you brother, everybody, so good night.
Speaker 5: When we get back on the other side, during the eleven o'clock news, we talk with the Tom O'Neill, the son of a former lieutenant governor, son of Tip O'Neil, as well as Polster Spencer Kimball. Stay with WBZ folks throughout the night,