Speaker 1: And we're back Laps Fan Wrestling podcast WCW World War three nineteen ninety six. Boss, you're ready for three ring sixty men?
Speaker 2: I fuck it? You know, I said, uh, you know, Jared, what the fuck's going on?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Kev's ready? I don't get it, you know, I just I don't see the problem. I'm gonna get this straight.
Speaker 1: I don't have to do anything until fifty guys have been eliminated.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'll tell you what it says in my contract, but I don't have to fucking do anything till I'm the final two.
Speaker 1: And it says in the turnstiles that this drew a turnaway crowd of ten three and fourteen fans to the Scope in Norfolk, one of those buildings with the roof that we need.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love the Scope. The building did ww ever work? There was that a second building? Yeah, I can't recall ever seeing that building.
Speaker 1: It was like one of the quintessential crocket buildings.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've seen a lot of shows take place at that building and I I always love it and I was it. Someone said that that that it was all like that, Like, you know, it's funny to hear us I mean there's years ago. It's funny to hear us talk so like, like fondly of it, because most people in the area think it was garbage. But yeah, I love that ceiling. I think it's such a unique.
Speaker 1: Yeah building distinct architecture that you can tell what building it is. That's all we ask for Baltimore Arena. You know how goes the gardens.
Speaker 2: It's so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently it is. But yeah, they packed him in ten thy three fourteen in attendance of which, according to The Observer, sevenenty eighteen were paid. That that equal to gate about one hundred eighteen thousand dollars. They had announced a sellout but managed to open up thirteen hundred more tickets on that Sunday and those quickly went and they still ended up turning away several hundred at the door. People want to see this nWo thing. They do absolutely also part of the whatever they did a local promotion in Norfolk. Every person who ordered Halloween Havoc was supposed to be able to get two free tickets to World War Three, and according to the Observer, more than three thousand people, way more than estimated, try to cash in on that. So you're looking at six thousand free free tickets and a building that holds ten ah so thankfully not that many were serviced. But uh, no, good deed goes unpunished, that's for sure. There was a dark match Laparca beat Viano four. I do, yes, the uh that's the one I know everyone's been waiting for. Absolutely, they an't event anywhere in the country. What happened to Vieno three? He's around all right. He had one of the more legendary mass matches I remember in two thousand against was it lis Martino Atlantis. Yeah, he's a legend of Mexican wrestling as well. This is the time when you know, through Conan's connection, they're bringing in a ton of loose writers triple A promost Teca. Everyone wanted to taste of that WCW money.
Speaker 2: Was there a Vienna five? Yes, there was, Yes, there was.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a number we at now, that's a great question. I actually don't know if it's still going. That's a great question. I just remember at the time and Vienno four had just come in and he also wrestled on Nitro as Tony Paanya a couple of times, included the next night on Nitro against Steve Regal. So it's like it's Viano four and all the costume with the four on his trunks even but he just doesn't have a mask on. Welcome to w CW.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he a baseball catcher baseball player for yan Yeah? Yeah, well that's to say nothing of Viano three.
Speaker 1: Real named Mike Piazza, I played for the Royals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm thinking Piazza. I'm thinking Piatt a Yankee, right, he was a Yankee? Or the Met he was a Dodger, O man, he was a Met. He was a Met. He was a Met. I knew someone's a fucking New York baseball player. There's one of them out there. There's someone out there played baseball in New York. Well that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But we start with the black and white map of the globe and we have the stylized Tonight, w CW presents World War Three the top w W stars, including members of the nWo.
Speaker 2: I got to say that got to set that aside. Is distinct. It is it's like, you know, that's the thing, like there's there is a there's there's a difference, you know, That's that's what That's what made it so interesting was that they really really tried hard to make it different. I will say for a while that makes it very interesting. But like we've always said, they got to lose, they got to lose, and yeah they do.
Speaker 1: And we get some nice graphics of fighter jets flying across the ring because this is World War three, after absolutely, it is war. Tony lets us know there's not a seat to be found as the Native Virgini and Tony Shivanni welcomes us in as found.
Speaker 2: Now there's not there was about half hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, there's actually not a seat to be found when people cashed in their Halloween havoc or sipts. Either heads Funny, Tony says, fans of w CW, fans of the nWo, and fans of the greatest sport in the world gather here tonight we get the sparkler.
Speaker 2: Fans of neither. What if there's like, what about w D fans that are in the building, you know, are them.
Speaker 1: Are you with WW or are you the w O if one boost twice and says.
Speaker 2: W W I'm with WWE. Thanks, hey, let.
Speaker 1: Who let you back here? So there's you know, some with globals. Sparkler's going up on the posts of all three rings to kick us off. And this is Dusty Roads and his red leather era.
Speaker 2: Oh can we not?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a lot.
Speaker 2: Can we not with this? With this fucking disaster? What's he doing wearing that ship? I mean also not to mention, not to mention. It's like, you know, how many cows died to make that leather jacket. How many cows died to feed them lunch that afternoon? Consider all that? All right, we're talking what are we doing, like like two dozen cows? That's one thing to notice. Service to service Dusty Roads for a day, that's one thing. You know.
Speaker 1: Notice they roll credits at the NWW pay per views, but nothing ever said about no animals were harmed in the making of you.
Speaker 2: Damn right now. That's also because they considered the talent to be animals.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, And plus Joe Lorinidis was there for several years and he was harmed in the making of the show. Definitely, aren't Heenan? Of course too, they're all rings side sixty men, three rings. Careers could be made and ended tonight, we're told, And Heenan wants to know what will Piper do when he looks into Hulk Cogan's eyes?
Speaker 2: To me, he does, and I have that one for you here, But.
Speaker 5: I'm more concerned to see what rowdy Roddy Piper's gonna do when he looks right into the eye of Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 6: Well, we have a feeling we know what rowdy Roddy Piper's gonna do dream because he says he will.
Speaker 2: Be here tonight and let's you know, we're gonna hear Dusty here, and Dusty's really gonna Dusty's gonna really tie this one up with a neat bow.
Speaker 7: To finally sign the match.
Speaker 6: Why has Eric Bischoff continually attempted to stall these contract when being signed. That's my question, and my other question to you is will Hulk Hogan finally sign.
Speaker 7: This or will he back out of it?
Speaker 8: Well, Papa picked this opportunity to pick a fight. Now he's gonna bring his contract himself into flesh.
Speaker 7: Yes, right out here w cw W A big boy's.
Speaker 8: Plate and Hawk Hogen, The question is will you step up to the plate and accept this challenge from Ruddy Papa, Because any where there's a fight, we're gonna have a lot of fighting going on here tonight, I guarantee that much.
Speaker 9: What I mean, he just is anyone that's gonna be a fight, and we're gonna have a lot of fighting.
Speaker 2: Daddy running on my f hole.
Speaker 1: Only time, if only time, that there was ever a salad coming out of Dusty's mouth A word salad. I mean, just he just does that for like three straight years on Commentary W step through the whole NW angle, he just starts making sounds and.
Speaker 2: Like there's just so much nonsense, so much, so much nonsense that he spews out on this show. And it is I mean, it's it's a it's amazing that he's able to do that. And like I wouldn't say it makes a point because he certainly doesn't, but he makes it sound like he said something.
Speaker 1: Oh he does.
Speaker 2: That's that's I guess what the impressive thing is that he made it sound like he said something even though he said nothing at all.
Speaker 1: Because what's key to Dusty and Commentary is after he does that obliviation, he never smiles at himself or laughs at himself at the end. He always has that that kind of stoic look on his face, like he knows he just delivered something profound. It's up to you to figure it out. Ye And speaking of profound, speaking of impactful? Is not the first theme song we hear on World War three ninety six?
Speaker 2: Som Soon Chodham and do I still have that song to this day? Of course when mystereo comes on the team hum hum huan fun fun hunum. Yeah, it's classic Fung fung Harlem. What is that Terry and Dorry versus.
Speaker 1: Stevie Rayam Booker. That's right, that's it, this one. This one's for the eight Crown Cruiserweight Championship ever seen Ultimore Dragon Dressed and all those belts before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rather not.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if that that was just the generic song they used for everybody from New Japan and ninety five. Here he comes.
Speaker 2: It's better than the It's better than recycling the fucking Orient Express.
Speaker 1: Yes, here comes Ray Junior. Man is he junior? How small was.
Speaker 2: He back then? Yeah? You know, like he's such a little twerp.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he was five six months in the company coming in Great American Mass ninety six. Everyone talks about that night everyone.
Speaker 2: You hit the weights, man, you know, ship you think about taking the mask off Hermano. Yeah. The thing about it, you know, we're telling stories with the images. Man, one can see your fucking eye. I just got Viano to take his off. Man, Tony Perez, good looking guy. Let's uh, you know, I say, fucking let's see what's going on. Tell you what.
Speaker 1: After I end Goldbrook streak, I'll take your mask and they'll be doing Goldberg is like barely in the government. So the jet flies across the screen and drops some letters into place for our graphics and our lower thirds.
Speaker 2: Because it's war, right, it's war, so we're dropping bombs.
Speaker 1: Well then, actually the dice, the WW crosshair is target logo on the apron on the mat is very appropriate for World War that's true.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 1: Black ropes, yellow pads on the buckling, plenty of planted blondies in the front row here on the Virginia waterfront. That was a Bishop specialty. Tony calls this one of the greatest wrestling cities in the world and says they hung a World War You can see they hung a World War three banner way the fuck at the top of the scope. I don't know how they got up there, but guys, there's gonna be someone there's gonna be some access like you know walk or or I'm thinking like there's gotta be a way to get you know, kind of like the you know, the the MSG ceiling, you can you can.
Speaker 2: Walk up above that. You know, there's there's there's stuff up there that that you're allowed to walk. You're not allowed to you know. It's cause, yeah, it's caused for immediate termination for anybody who said yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Like people supervisors always told me that it was like if you even step up there, if you even walk through the door, you are immediately terminating. Unreal, Like there's very very strict in regards to which unions or union can go up there. Yeah, I bet, and they'll they'll fucking cany in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: All those years, I remember watching Ultimo Dragon, but they're telling me here it's Ultimate Dragon. They always change it, the ult change it, Yeah, the Ultimate Ultimo. They change it all the time. That's like a thing that they would do, they would, you know, on purpose.
Speaker 2: But actually I think this, oh yeah, this is as Dragon is coming down to the ring. This is Heenan has some ideas as to what maybe underneath his robe.
Speaker 5: Well, I bet if you check him out real caref that you'll probably find a couple of upcames from a Toyota on him.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love it so much. Such a fuck.
Speaker 1: This is the J Crown with all those belts, including the WWF Junior Heavyweight belt, which after they split off from New Japan in eighty four, ended up finding a permanent home in New Japan and not in the WWF, but that one he tended to leave in the locker room in WCW. Did Ultimo Dragon right? But take a look at the display. Soniono accompanying him as Tony Shivanni talks about how these titles are from Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, all over the world, and how Ultimo Dragon had just participated in the J Crown tournament of junior heavyweight wrestlers that passed August went to the finals. And you can even see the old NWA license plate style junior title in there as well. So we have the the opening contest here and the J Crown is the iw GP Junior Heavyweight, the NWA Junior Heavyweight and worlterweight titles, the UWA from Mexico light heavyweight title, the war which was a Japanese Promotion International Junior Heavyweight Title War is where Benoit and Jericho came from the WWF Flight Heavyweight title, the Great Britain Junior Heavyweight title, and the w w A Junior light Heavyweight title, and you know they kind of that was a very impactful visual when Ultimore Dragon would come out with all those belts, that was fucking awesome that they let him come out with those, even though they weren't company straps. It made him look incredible. So Heenan says, you'll find a couple hub caps.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Dusty points out the w CW Cruise Ofweight Belt is not among them, so Ultimore Dragons still had some work to do in the ranks of the cruiserweight division. Dean Malko our champ will be defending later and they're in ring number one. We're told, I guess these guys just have to pick a ring to wrestle in.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess. It's so, you know, this is this is the issue here, you know, with having a multi ring situation, especially three rings, it's such a I don't know again, Yeah, I don't know, I don't know. It's it's I kind of get it. You know, let people see from different vantage points and whatnot.
Speaker 1: I understand, and they make a big deal about the tension in the air. Bischoff, having just turned on WCW, I.
Speaker 2: Got this one for you. Here we go. This is uh and Dusty. Dusty spouts gibberish for us too as well.
Speaker 8: Well, it was Titson in the arena's tension back in the dressing room.
Speaker 7: It's Titchon in.
Speaker 8: In the era where they nWo have their own special plate. And we know why they got their special plates now because all the way upto top something was rotten and we found on a pass nitrol. But bottom line, the night things the ship could be could be uh put back, sending down the right path.
Speaker 7: I guarantee you, Bob what I agree. I agree, Bob. He's busy over here in this match, is what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I just had no idea what Dusty said exactly. It was ships and what so.
Speaker 1: The opening contest here World War three ninety six Rabisterio Junior and Ultimo Dragon Rabye the Headlock Takeover Dragon Kicks Free. Tony says these two met three times, once before Hogwild and on an episode of Saturday Night and on Nitro, so we already, you know. I remember that so well. I remember seeing Ultimo Dragon for the first time on Nitro when I was in my early days of flipping the channels in ninety six. Yeah, because the NBA was drawing me in and I saw these guys. What the fuck. I still remember how being so impacted by the fact that they were springboarding off the middle of the ropes.
Speaker 2: You know when I was Yeah, you know I didn't care. Yeah, you know I didn't. If I'm being completely honest, I didn't really appreciate what guys like Dragon and Raymisteria were doing back then. Like for some reason, and maybe this is just me always being behind the times, which is very very possible. I I just was like, I don't I don't care. Yeah, like it probably goes to show why I don't like the flip floppy shit these days. Yeah. I do appreciate Ray Mysterio much more now and certainly watching his stuff then and nolsmore Dragon the same. But back then, I just I couldn't get behind, maybe because I didn't know who they were, and you know, my closed mindedness about it was like, you know, you can't come into this company unless even ww nless I fucking know who you are. I see. Yeah, well that's yeah, that's hard for them to overcome. But of course, yeah you can't. It's impossible because the way you're not building up new stars.
Speaker 1: There's always something about wrestling where I was drawn into the moves, Like I was always interested, even like Karate Kid movies, like what are moves that would work.
Speaker 2: That we haven't seen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the Cruiser Weights brought like thirty new moves per match that you really hadn't seen it on national television in the United.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally. I do wonder what it was that I just, you know, I was like, oh, okay, here we go. And the masks bothered me too. I didn't to me, and this is just you know, to me, the masks meant you weren't to be taken seriously. Sure.
Speaker 1: I mean so many Jibronis and w W have had masks and hardly any of them ever won anything.
Speaker 2: That's probably you're probably right. I probably was groomed to think that the mask thing was not it was was not. Was was kind of like, okay, you're a loser if you wear a mask.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yep, doctors, the tradition so well, Ultimo Dragon takes it down to the mat food you are Armbard, Dusty guarantees Ultimore knows all the high risk maneuvers. That's That's something that's cool about w s evictru'swaight matches back then, is to watch Dusty kind of mark out for moves that he'd never as wild as Dreams would have attempted or even hurt.
Speaker 2: Oh right, or even thought he would ever see in his lifetime.
Speaker 1: But he's still kind of rejoicing in what they're doing in there, which I think is cool as opposed to being threatened by it, you know, or or seeing it is the wrong way to do pro wrestling. Right back up, Bultimore Dragon with a slam and an elbow drop a tight press, gets to referee Mark Curtis Bright hild A brand down at eye level. Sure Dragon cranks a sleepers race, sneaks out h's a hammer lock, and they say if Remisterio Junior gets loose Onnya, he can hit moves from the ceiling. This is Dusty, of course talking of course he says he can drop kick from a chair. Well that's not wrong, it's not the ceiling, but I get it. Man, Ulti Dragon rolls through in a wristlock and a chop whip over the top the chop.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this one or not, but I do. At some point Shavanni actually calls out the first chop of the match and says like that was the first chop.
Speaker 1: Of the ceremonial first chop, What does that even mean? First chop of Christmas, the first chop of dinner. So he goes over the top. Ulto Dragon tumbles underneath the leap frog sidestep right as a springboard backflip, lands on his feet. Then there's a backdrop attempt on Dragon, but he does that deal where he would counter a backdrop by rotating and kind of cart wheeling off to the side, landing on his feet. Then both nip up and go face off, and the crowd pops at that athletic display. Dusty says they were flip flopping in a flying This might be this. I don't know what the whole what the whole quote is here? So here here we go, both of them.
Speaker 8: Spring back up and nip club and both common for high risk believa. Then they will flip clopping and then a flying and nobody connect him.
Speaker 7: Not even the chop did any damage.
Speaker 8: And I'll tell you what, if it's a real I'll figure out process. Right here, they're trying to boom kick him there, keep in the billy Willie, keep in a bit of Wallie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw this match of figuring out process. Yes, and I also thought, yes, of course, kick him in the billy Willie. That's the way to go. So Dragon me and I said, you know what, do it twice? Yeah, kick him in the billy will They kick him in the billy Now we fumble the.
Speaker 2: Billy Willie sounds like a fucking robot, like who's who's you know? A microchip is fucking broken. Kick him in a billy Whelly, kick him in the billy will the kick him the billy with They kick him with the billy Willie.
Speaker 1: Spin kick Beltimore Dragon. He goes off with some light kicks and another spin kick drops some stereo. Dusty says, kick him in the belly willing ye. Eden says, uh, this is great. This is a theme throughout the show. He ninjas declares his pick to win the World War three Battle Royal is Dean Malenko, and he sticks.
Speaker 2: To this the whole time. I love it, and I wish that happened.
Speaker 1: He's saying, you know, who knows what the nWo has in mind. Maybe they didn't want to win this thing necessarily, Maybe they just want to do damage. He just keeps saying, the Cruiseway Champion Milinco. And I remember p w I had Dean Milinko number one and their five hundred for ninety seven, even though all they did was wrestling.
Speaker 2: I remember that. I remember that.
Speaker 1: At first, I was like, maybe he did that because pw I just declared Dean, But now that was the year before. It's such a curious choice for Heenan to just like beat that drum the whole broadcast.
Speaker 2: But he did. If you ordered money, it's probably a rib.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Irish whips verse, Ultimate Dragon backdrops. Ray goes to the apron and hits ay Jericho like springboard dropkick, very nice to the floor, goes Ultimate Dragon, Sonyono goes out Ray Mysterio. Sonyono comes over and gets a kick in on the stereo and Dustin calls him a sneaky man. At least he didn't Charlie chopsticks or anything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's you know, They also at some point Tony and Dusty wereminding Din that he into money. Don't have a money deal. Yeah, they get a money deal.
Speaker 1: They did not let that one die he had from the previous star Kane, right, yes, that's right, Yeah, in the ws W New Japan kind of thing. And he said, you know, I didn't sell someone down the river. He Dion denies the whole thing. Tony says, I don't even want to talk about that, and he says, good, let's drop it.
Speaker 2: To the apron. They go.
Speaker 1: Ultimo Dragon tries to suplex, but no, Ray mysterio goes to the waistlock reversed and yes, uh, I believe we have Germanic soup play here on display and Norfolk.
Speaker 2: It's about it's about.
Speaker 1: Bridging when you're at this weight class. And also Dragon certainly bridges off the German supplex for two Irish whip in. Ultimo Dragon lifts Ray and flops him to a big ooh from the crowd. While you're up there, can you check the lights? Heenen says, alto.
Speaker 2: Dragon kicks Ray in you can get a new ball bin please? Yeah, in violation of the aforementioned union rules. Yeah right, he was not on the ceiling, so he can just if he flies up. It's a whole different story. No one said you could. No one said you couldn't fly up to put a to put a bulb, and you just can't walk on the ceiling, right.
Speaker 1: I probably remarked upon this before, but one of heen and signatures in WW was when someone hit a real hard blow, he'd go, mmm, remember that, like like he can feel it his own spine.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And he does that here yep. As Ultimate Dragon lends a stiff kick to a down mysterio whipping a tilted whirld to the shoulder goes right in stereo, and from that position, Ultimate Dragon spins around and around like an airplane spin and drops with almost an abyss shock treatment across the shoulders. And the crowd pops for that display. They're kind of in awe at how much rotations are going on in that ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's it's a pretty it's pretty fucking wild actually to see these guys do pretty seamless shit, and it's it is wild again watching it now, I have a whole different appreciation for it. That's cool then I did when I was when I was you know fifteen, Well Dragon with a front back breaker and a half crab. I can't say myself. Why don't they kicking and punching?
Speaker 1: Well, Dragon did a fair amount of kicking, but I get your point. They never punch really, and these cruiserweight matches.
Speaker 2: Hit the ropes before they punched.
Speaker 1: They sure would green teeth from Dragon's mist here, but we didn't really see him blow the mist. But it's all green in his face and that was confusing, I'm sure to some crowd stomping their feet in the scope for Ray. He gets free, there's a power bomb, and does Ultimo Dragons stack Ray as a cruiserweight should be stacked here?
Speaker 2: Listen, listen, that's you've said it before, and I agree with you. Cruiserweight power bombs are fucking money.
Speaker 1: Why I show up to a wrestling show. I show up for some like undersized guy to get snatched out of mid air and just dumped and folded and pinned. And that's what Dragon does here. Then he lifts him up and then instead of power bombing him again, he kind of falls backwards and hot shots Ray throte first to the top rope, cover gets two. Dragon comes up with the whip and a lift and drops him with a spinebuster. Tony calls it a power bomb.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: Ultimo Dragon with a giant swing and rotates Ray over and over and over again drops him and then Dragon falls on his ass and they laugh and Norfolk they like that because he's dizzy Dusty things dragging. Got a little tipsy topsy there as we see Sonny you no fanning himself at ringside and then he creeps up to Ray, but Race.
Speaker 2: Lies in the ring.
Speaker 1: I mean Dusty might be a little tipsy topsy, yeah, exactly. It takes one to no one back. Then Ultimate Dragon with a Fisherman buster suplex gets too on Ray and Heenan says he missed Sonniono's interference earlier because his monitor had vertical issues, and Tony says, why don't you watch mine? Mine never seems to have any problems.
Speaker 2: I think I think Tony missed the joke on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony's always instantly ready to show heen as a hypocrite. Instant yes, like humorlessly, you know, yes, Ultimate Dragon with a great brainbuster center of the ring gets big ouzinahs from the crowd, and that gets too and then he tries again, but Ray counters with an inside credle for close too. Dragon stays on him though, drops down with a heel hook and the leg gets scissored. Dusty says, Hollywood, Hogan is the man. If this thing is going to cease to exist, the nWo, that is, someone has to beat him on the way to the top. Gotta beat Hogan. And uh, it can't be Eric Bischoff. He's not a wrestler that that can. I don't know that that can You out stand in front of one you want to you want to secret there, guys, doesn't happen, never happened, never really happens, does it.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: They they even have to create a new nWo because they were so afraid to make it happen. And here that's why we won't. That's what kept us hooked yep in these early healthy on days of the nWo. And just another example here of how which is the bane of a lot of lower cart wrestlers existence and not be stebioid. They would just completely cut into other matches commentary to just you know, wax paranoia paranoia about the nWo.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's you know, it works it works for sure, it definitely works. And and but again it only works if at the end they get beat yep, you know, because at some point you've got to move on. I mean, that's that's gonna listen. People have been hearing to say that for ten years and you're never gonna stop. It's as long as there are shows in in uh uh uh you know in the chamber for the feature of the nWo, which there are many. Uh, it's never going to not be said. Yep, because it's it's smatch you in the face every time you watch one of these shows. It really does.
Speaker 1: Now, I ask you a question. Here does Dragon elevate catch rain an upside down position and leap into a spike tombstone for the industry, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, look dragons here for one reason. Yeah, and it's to prove that he can hang and he can honestly hang where the Big Boys plays yeah as little boys. Yeah, he's he's not a little boy. What tombs?
Speaker 1: That's another one. Man, you want to talk New Japan J Cup, Best of Super Junior J Cup, war Race, cruiserweight tombstones or where it's at man to set up that top rope diving Headbut or something. Let's fucking get it. This one's only good for two though. For Dragon, although he absolutely spikes raying mysterio, whipping a dropkick, land sends way to the floor ultimate Dragon and basically does a six y one nine through the ropes. It's kind of like a fake me out, and then drop kicks Ray down skins the cat as Ray reaches for him, and then clears the ropes and lands on the floor. Whip is reversed and Ray goes into the guardrail. Ray has a Spider Man red mask on, by the way, with the whole webbing and everything. So much for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I do, Yeah, I like the Spider Man got up. You know, I've always appreciated Ray's comic book themed costumes. I think they're really cool.
Speaker 1: At high octane Cruiserweight, power Bomb and the ring didn't do it for you? How about Dragon hitting one on the floor on Ray mysterial that's what's next? Yes, and he gets what happened and against in the ring there's a piscado splash hits Ray on the floor to a big thud. There's a shot of Dusty Heenon and Tony with their backs to the actual fighting on the floor because of where they're announced.
Speaker 2: Table is positioned. Iculous.
Speaker 1: They're looking like at the monitors, there's an empty ring in front of them, behind them the match they're calling I I you know, I understand that that's what you have to do for the sake of the you know, the fans.
Speaker 2: Much of the monitor we're watching on TV. You gotta watch monitor and call what you what they what we're seeing at home. But man, if you if they get shots of you doing it, it really looks awful. So because nobody in their right mind would ever fucking do that, That's why we see it at Yoda because this unique angle. Also, it makes me wonder, why are they going to be ringside? Right?
Speaker 1: It is a great question.
Speaker 2: This is the one show if they're gonna be for any show. Honestly, if all they're doing is watching the monitor, why are they ring side? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know, never quite got that, but you know, they could have a vantage point like that, they could see all three rings. You know, made the perish the thought. But yeah, it's like Mystery Science three thousand the way they're sitting, but the matches behind them, not in front of them, but they're there in the corner of the screen.
Speaker 2: You know, that's just that is one of the weird conundrums. I mean, I know, you know nowadays you got to put through people through tables, and so it's convenient to have them there. But I just don't understand because it's just distracting to see to see people watching them for me anyway, for watching the monitors and not the action in the ring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, that's right there, like you'res watching the TV anyway. Back in Undertaker Purchase Ring, in the top rope, climbs and hits a spinning superhero Karana Thank god Christ. Yes, it's all about spinning Ranas and that gets two. Dragon hooks up a power bomb and then does a running fucking liger bomb, folding Raymisterio in half, fucking kills him and that gets two. That's the thing. All these guys are small, but if Ray is that much smaller than everybody else, it makes the other cruise of weights look like serious fucking monsters. Yeah, exactly, like a Dean Malinko, like an Ultimore drag.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: Crowd can't believe just how many high impact moves they're seeing. They really can't believe what these guys are doing to each other and kicking out, and Heenan says, it's got to be Clark Ken in that mask, because surely he means Peter Parker.
Speaker 2: But I get the point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whipped to the corner, Ray gets the boot up, spinning heel kick out of the corner, drops Ultimo Dragon, Ray Lunch and the comeback. Now he gets to the apron, springboard into an Arabian press that's split legged, moon Salt from the adjacent corner that gets two on the pin cover. Tony says he hit more Matt than Man on that moon Salt, and Dusty says, Mike Today would be mad at him for saying that. It's like Dusty's very self conscious about how Mike Today knows these actual wrestlers and how to pronounce their names and the names of the moves. Ye raise whiped out the ropes, front flips to the apron, hits the springboard drop kick that sends Dragon all the way to the floor right, then hits the ropes, middle rope, springboard, front flip, levels ultimate Dragon on the outside and they love it in Norfolk.
Speaker 2: It takes light, you know, it's very simple. Listen, it's it's a military town, that's right, all right. We saw the jet fly over early. We saw the jet fly over. It's not uncommon to see men airborne. Oh man.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, back then, you hadn't even seen the setups to the moves they're doing, let alone the actual moves exactly.
Speaker 2: That is what made it great that you had no fucking idea what they were doing. They were going until all of a sudden, this guy's like like folded in about a sudden. It's like, wait a minute, I thought I was looking over here, But how's he over there? Exactly? I mean, he's over here. Fuck, where is he going?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: He keeps going higher and higher and higher? And I don't know how at flip diver floor park, doing some park horse shit all over the yeah, befo all of the ceiling of the of the scope of the scope.
Speaker 1: Dragons rolled back in. Ray hits a springboard sunset flip for two. Dragon gets up and does a jackknife cradle for a tight two count. Dragon then hits the ropes. Ray cartwheels as Dragon is hitting the ropes. Yes, he launches into motion with a cartwheel, lifts up, leaps and lands on the shoulders of Ultimore Dragon and spins around from that shoulder position off the cartwheel into a hr kanana that gets to yes, yes, yes h Ray cartwheels and leaps to moon Salt leaps to hurr kanana. The guy coming off the ropes, I'm in a very very good place. Yes, Dragon ducks Nelson. How about a Dragon suplex? Have these guys not landed on their head? It's enough with the two stones and the power bombs at this point, you might as well fuck this. How about a fucking Dragon soupplex bridge combination leg hooked one two not enough from Ultimo Dragon. Heenan says, get.
Speaker 2: A board and just beat him.
Speaker 1: That's the only way you can. Dragon tries another power bomb, this time Ray rolls through and stacks him up for two. They run the ropes. Ray holds on, though hits a back elbow, goes to the aprons signals for the springboard hurrican rana. He goes for it, but no Dragon catches him in mid air. The West Coast Pop, as he would call it in WW, catches him on his shoulders, bounces Rays back off the top rope in the power bomb formation, spins sits out power bomb one two three. It's over thirteen minutes forty eight seconds. Ultimate Dragon defeats Ray Misterio Junior in a red hot opener.
Speaker 2: Here at Dragon gave a just an insane amount of offense in this match, and insane.
Speaker 1: That's where Ray Shine taking an human amount of punishment for his size disadvantage. And even if he lost in the end, you got to see this guy again. Yep, of course, tremendous stuff. We come to the corner cam and Sonny was cackling away and Ono says Malenko, get ready, you're next. There's replays of those. Replays of those w CW Cruiser eight matches were always great because as wild as the move was when you saw it the first time, when they could show it in slow motion super cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree. I mean because you can actually see what's going on. You're like, oh, that's what you did, That's what I got from here to there. It's like it's like a blur engeans in the locker room. Oh yes he is. He's ready to fucking hawk that hotline.
Speaker 11: We are on the cutting edge once again at World Championship Wrestling, this time on the Internet. Yes, cyberspace is taking a whole.
Speaker 2: New looking on the hot line.
Speaker 11: We WDCW brings you live play by play coverage of this spectacular. It's gonna feature none other than Mark Madden and Jeff Katz. You can tune us in real quickly. It's very simple, ladies and gentlemen. It's WCW Wrestling dot Com. We've got eight slots up a tonight, so join us on our website here for World War three.
Speaker 2: Unreal.
Speaker 1: They are just starting to really crack this open man. They were like, let's try it, and they get out. They deserve all kinds of credit for being forward leaning on the Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: This hit the business wire on October ninth of that year for the first time in the World Wide Web. World Championship Wrestling brings exclusive live audio play by play to Internet wrestling fans around the globe on Sunday, October twenty seventh at SLIMJIMWCW Halloween Havoc from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, fans with computer speakers and real audio. Boss, do you remember real player? Real audio?
Speaker 2: I do remember real player? Yep.
Speaker 1: That I puts you where you need to be. Oh yeah, we'll be able to listen live to the action packed blow by blow, thrills and spills of the Halloween Havock pay per view. Real audio software is available on the WW website always for never forget.
Speaker 2: WW.
Speaker 1: Wrestling dot Com was two w's, the one in CW and then Wrestling dot Com. Mark Maddenn, editor in chief of the Pittsburgh Penguin Hockey magazine, and Jeff Katz, the country's youngest wrestling expert. They say, here we'll deliver the action in common terry. Bringing live exclusive WCW audio play by play to our fans around the world is an exciting step in our interactive marketing, said Tom Hunt, WW interactive manager. We planned at exciting features to the WW website, which will include streaming images from the event in the near future. Yeah, they couldn't promise video, that's for sure. Streaming images that's well, okay, they were streaming imagery. They were pushing the limits.
Speaker 2: And there it is.
Speaker 1: By virtue of his presence, gene Oakland is back in WCW. He's not going to disappear after his contract lapses and factors what it said in The Observer, Geneoakerland is back on the nine hundred line. Since with the sleeves Master gone, hotline business dropped a ton, they had to bring him back. After all, Jeff Katz, who made the remark about robbing moved to midnight if the ratings don't improve, which resulted in more of those threatening letters to WW was dumped to bring Oakland back. So when we see Jeff Katz in the WCW position ww wrestling dot Com position, do no. Apparently there was an attempt made to have him replace Gene on the nine hundred line, and kids did not get their parents' permission, needless to say, at all.
Speaker 2: Not at all. Well, I'm I'm sure I have a funny feeling that that, you know, when you did get caught, you know, for for calling the hotline and spending about forty dollars, that you know, your parents might have been a little more forgiving if they saw that it was that, oh, that kind of charming old bald guy. Yeah, you think that made a difference. Yeah, I do think that made a difference. I think I think I think people might have been a little more forgiving of gene Oakerland. He had a history with, you know, and also I imagine parents at this point probably were familiar of him, familiar with him when he was you know, when they were when they were kids watching him with Hogan and stuff. Help help me.
Speaker 1: Remember WWF had a hot line at the time, but they weren't as notorious as w CW's Oakland was never the nine hundred line. Pitchman for WWF. I think, well, no, because you know he was.
Speaker 2: But before by the time he left, the ww Superstar line was not a regular thing, if I'm not mistaken. Back in the day, specifically, I remember the the you know, early nineties, they would have a special pay per view hot line, so you would call the WrestleMania hot Line, or you would call the Summer Slam hot like. They didn't have a regular hot line going through all the year. It was only it was only set up for each pay per view, and that I do remember. But I remember they they did eventually set up a superstar line, the Superstar line, but it was well after Jean had moved on to ww was and was you know, just you know, just plugging that like like his wife, I see fascinating. So at the time they were playing I say, his mistress, I should say, right to be more respectful. At the time they were playing up big.
Speaker 1: The DDP had get to declare his allegiance was he WCW, was he nWo, And they were beginning the pressure campaign to try to get him to make a decision. And then of course he has that legendary moment on Nitro where he diamond cuts Scott Hall and denies theo's overtores and he was on his way as a star. But that's still in the air. They're also doing the same thing with the Nasty Boys at the time.
Speaker 2: They're got a neutral. They're not WCW, they're not nWo.
Speaker 1: And although they would end up behind you know, they would always end up in the nWo locker room at times, but not curiously enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they would never, you know, actually join the I wonder what would.
Speaker 1: Have happened if SAgs didn't, you know, exit stage left with that neck injury. If eventually the Nasties would have ended up in the nWo. I thought they were a good fit with the WW heritage and stuff. Sure, and you could be convinced theyd follow Hogan in there, but uh, never never to be here. In one of the Nitros before World War Three, Kevin Nash kind of puts us into the place they were at, teasing that diamond Dallas.
Speaker 2: He just got a big decision to make.
Speaker 1: And the outsiders, of course ddp's former buddies in WCW are really putting the pressure on. And you won't believe the reference Kevin Nash decides to make in explaining the situation. DDP finds himself.
Speaker 12: In you wait a minute, the nWo whatever, And they've been wreaking havoc everywhere. You'll notice, Gene, Whenever anything went down, DDP was nowhere to be found.
Speaker 7: And there's a reason for that. I let them do their thing and I do mine. And now the county of my time.
Speaker 6: Again, gentlemen, I think he has made it perfectly clear, and I don't want.
Speaker 7: To be bounced around here by the New World Order. He has made it.
Speaker 11: Perfectly clear he's not gonna go your direction.
Speaker 7: Yes, tell us, am, I am, I right on that. I didn't even hear what you said. Hey, you can't wake up call yet you're figuring it out? Huh, you get it? What you don't get it? You ain't one thing I got. I didn't appreciate that comment. Throwing in my space about bitch off last night last week. That's one thing i'd get.
Speaker 2: Here, comes.
Speaker 7: Don't you don't get it. He really doesn't get it. He don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's the problem. I don't understand why we just don't take him out quick fast, in a hurry like we do all against friends. Poke, that's what we need to do.
Speaker 7: We need to take it easy. Kick guys, guys, wait a minute. Now, there's gonna be all know you know.
Speaker 4: You know, you know you know this.
Speaker 7: Psess, hey, you don't do no good for you.
Speaker 13: You don't know good for you from you. Stanley Kobrack two thousand space size. It's gonna be something very beautiful happened tonight.
Speaker 7: Very beautiful.
Speaker 14: All right, gentlemen, you know, I don't even know what the fuck the thing I got a quote from you?
Speaker 2: He says he just couldn't deliver these lines on nitro could he check? He was so pre occupied Stanley Kubrick, Like it's like ooh, like like I mean, listen, I'm not like like I guarantee you that number one. The majority of the fans never they don't know the fuck Stanley Kubrick. And that's why he's saying it, and that's why its thunds down and number two, those who do know Stanley Kubrick, I doubt know a specific line, or I would say that there are not many who would know a specific line from two thousand and one. They're more likely to say, you know, I could be wrong, but I would I would guess that they would be more familiar with the show in full metal jacket right then two thousand and one, and of course the ulto and irony would be two thousand and one would be a terrible year for wcw HI.
Speaker 1: Indeed, in fact, the end, so DDP steps in with Gino okralin that's actually very funny, and they said, there, that's very fucking yeah, it's not a it's not a it's not a date to be bringing up on a WW television show.
Speaker 2: In retrospect.
Speaker 1: DDP steps in with Gene. They were kind of recruiting the nWo. And last time I remember this much recruiting interest, Gene Okerland says, was at the University of Nebraska. Apparently ripped from the headlines, Gene Oakland read to the USA today in the hotel before the show, and we all have to sit here and listen to make references to it.
Speaker 2: Smoking, smoking a cigarette, having a bourbon so.
Speaker 1: At eleven am. DDP. First of all, everybody wants to get a hold of the best, the diamond Cutters, the hottest finish on the planet. Yeah, we don't call finishing moose finishes on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, in nineteen ninety six. It's not cool. I mean it's not cool anyway. But I'm not here to talk about that. Oh well apparently you are, though, because you did well.
Speaker 1: Gene cuts in. He says, well, all the respect, you cannot skirt the nWo issue much longer. And DDP, he says, you're talking to Bischoff brother.
Speaker 2: You got it? Wait?
Speaker 4: What what?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 2: Who's who's talking about? Dallas? You're talking to Bishop Brother?
Speaker 1: Well, he is my next door neighbor, Terry.
Speaker 2: What do you my next door neighbor, dude?
Speaker 1: I mean he lives next door to me? What else?
Speaker 2: What I mean? What you tell me? What else? Would you mean? You'll bring it up now, dude, right, you're whatever it is?
Speaker 1: And you thought I could also say.
Speaker 2: What do you think what's going on? Dallas? Push? Mhmm. There you telling me, dude? What is this? The sixties?
Speaker 1: And Dallas is the Hottes Show?
Speaker 2: On TV again.
Speaker 1: I mean, and there he is.
Speaker 2: Brother, you move in a bishop's neighborhood. Brother, what do you mean you court Inchoff? Dude? You're courting that easy? What's going on you? Uh?
Speaker 1: He says to DDP, You courton that easy.
Speaker 2: Because they were.
Speaker 1: Playing that up on TV. They were like dp's gonna join the nWo. He's neighbors with Bischoff. They didn't hesitate to bring it up.
Speaker 2: And it's true. Well you tell me, brother that d D pizzles working the easy easy? What's all dd pizzle easy shizzle is easy bizzle and d D Pizzle gonna take a jizsel on my fit? What you better stop that one short? When does Heather Clem come in? So DDP doesn't care. Actually, it'd be their way around. It would be Hull Cogan who came in. Oh my God help us, Heather Clem.
Speaker 1: DDP doesn't care what's happening in the world Eric Bischoff right now. Ddp's in a world of his own. You can say that again. It doesn't affect me. What's affecting Eric Bischoff right now? What does affect me, he says, is the sixty man Battle Royal. You know gene. It's not that long ago the DDP shocked the world by winning the Battle Bowl.
Speaker 7: Good God?
Speaker 1: Is there a problem when he says, good God? Am I the only one that basically wants to go to bed for the night when he.
Speaker 2: Says, listen, there's a lot of problems with DVP, all right, Like he's just you know, he's he's one of those guys that he he he thinks he's cooler than he actually is. It's not that he's not cool, but he's not as cool as he thinks he is. I appreciate DDP. I think I think he has There was a lot going for him, Yes, and he was interesting and I and I I appreciate completely and I respect his hustle. He fucking went from you know, the whole this whole career. I find him to be a fascinating individual because he really made a name for himself and made himself stand out. That being said, he's not nearly as cool as he thinks he is. But he says good God, it's like exactly, yeah, No, I say it with my head in my hands, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He says it with like a cocky look on his face. But he talked about how its Slambrino one thought I could do it, but me and I did it, and tonight in the sixty men Battle Royal, when all is said and done, there can only be one bang.
Speaker 2: So kind of a rough the battle battle Bowl like that, I mean, the battle Bowl rosters diminished greatly every year they did it, Like it went from a twenty man Battle Royal to like what it was like a like a like an eight man battle something like that went that in ninety six it was something pathetic.
Speaker 1: It's like winn King of the Ring in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like, well, right, when you fucking wrestle two matches, like everyone wrestles too matches. My mom wrestles too matches.
Speaker 1: Jean says, did he answer my question? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Tony brands ddp evasive after that interview and we get the uh one arm tied behind his back graphic. You got that right, gentlemen, It's time for Nick Patrick, the referee, the evil referee who's engaged in all kinds of shady counts that appear to favor the nWo. Before they went full end with Nick Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were there were eight guys in the fucking battle Bawl at Slambury ninety six. Yes, eight guys, an elite squad, no question. Yeah, oh yeah, so Nick Patrick and he's got his earl Robert Eaton and Dick Slater and Scott Norton and Johnny Grunge and Ice Train and the Barbarian and Diamond Dallas Page.
Speaker 1: See, I'm not sure no one thought he could do it. I actually would, I'd pause it everyone thought he could do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, if if i'm if I'm looking at that fucking roster, He's the only one who can do that. Right if he didn't, fucking clowns, that would be a problem. Right, If he didn't do it, he should quit any problem with Nick Patrick out with a neck brace and a robe, with his fist tape and shades. Well, what I want to know first of all, is is he friends with Kenna Koboshi. Why would you say that he's wearing his robe, fucking black robe with the white trim there? Why is he worring wing Kobosha?
Speaker 1: At least a look on Nick Patrick's face isn't triggering to you that that's yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I'll tell you. I will say, you know, if there's anything that can salvage Nick Patrick. It's his face, such.
Speaker 1: A fucking scowling in the camera, trying to be menacing, and I just can't.
Speaker 2: Stand him at all. He's one of the most Like again another one. I don't know. I don't know what is what is actual? Uh you know, personalities, Like I really don't care. All I know is that he It's like, is like what are you doing? Man?
Speaker 7: Like why why?
Speaker 2: Like you're supposed to answer that question one of them, Like you're asking why he exists? Yeah, that's pretty much it, Like why you know he's he's on he's on par with Bagwell absolutely at this period, you know, like like it's just so fucking annoying, but not in a way. It's in a way like I just don't want to look at you, like, get off my fucking television, like you you're you're such a loser.
Speaker 1: Well, at least he's built like a wrestler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah right, but like he ate a wrestler. I mean, I'll tell you what. At least he's not wearing a mask like his dad and having his fucking skin ooze out of it.
Speaker 1: Looks like he's doing storage locker auctions. Yeah, bront of those guys. But here he is as the evil ref uh kind of colluding with w with lawyers and stuff to box in Chris Jericho into a one arm tied behind his back match. This apparently is the beginning of a Chris Jericho push, though you could could have fooled me, and Shavani makes reference to the fact that Nick Patrick actually did have a fleeting and ring career. Of course, being the son of the assassin Jody Hamilton, who was front office at WW at the time. Nick Patrick has a nice solid spot. Jericho comes out, and one redeeming quality is the theme music thing, King King King y Yeah, very nice.
Speaker 16: I do like that.
Speaker 2: It's very optimistic nineties babyfait yeah yeah he uh. And also you know if you looked out, you know I I took a look back at it, and they do do the U. As Jericho comes in, he starts with the jib arm and and dissolves into the the steady cam shot. That's it.
Speaker 1: We're watching, Craig, Are you listening, is the question.
Speaker 2: We're watching. We're watching your artistry.
Speaker 1: All at your boy. We're not hard to find with Teddy Long, apparently he is though, Man, I don't know what Teddy's on back then, but that is a massive head. His head is a quarter of the size these days. Oh yeah, Oh yeah, he got his hands on some good stuff. I mean, like, I mean not only his head, but like like we're talking, he's got no neck, no neck at all, and it's just it's it's it's head and chin. That's what he's got, yep, and a face in between. I'll tell you. When I look at Chris Jericho and Net ninety sixth, the first thing I think of is, why isn't Teddy Long managing this guy?
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. I was, like, you know that, that's that's the missing ingredient. Yes, is Teddy Long? Heenan says he can't convict a man until how much was he How much did he want to charge us to do an interview?
Speaker 1: I don't think he named a price. I think he just said to it cost you or something like that. It's like, okay, now I don't want to talk to you like like that much, Teddy respectfully. Yeah, that was before we had the cash for Carney's idea. Yeah, right, So I'm actually interested in how much it would it took but no, Heenen says he can't convict a man until he see some evidence, and Tony asks, thatever you ever listen to the replay? Listen to what you're saying? Heenan says, we don't have any proof of who's taking NWL money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here, I got that one for you, because he's pretty funny.
Speaker 7: We we're not sure that Nick.
Speaker 5: Patrick is a memory in wo he's wearing my Oh, I haven't seen a paycheck.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen any real proof.
Speaker 17: Well I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't convict the man until.
Speaker 2: I see some evidence.
Speaker 6: You ever, you ever listened to any of the replays of these telecats, the uncore presentations? Yes, listening to this one when it when it comes your way, I know sometimes what you're saying, sometimes it looks that way.
Speaker 7: I will admit that. But we don't have any proof.
Speaker 10: It's a lap Don wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carneo and JP sorow Awesome.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate is, like, you know, there there are some people he he doesn't want to believe our nw A. You know, it is funny that they're like, he's very defensive of certain people, even though like Teddy Law, I mean, Nick Patrick is like the worst when it comes to that, ohst blatant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was one thing about Heenen in the NBO era as money as it was as him, you know, casting his lot with WCW and despite the nWo being heels and him being a heel, just saying fuck this, this is too over the top. I'm with WCW. He did always kind of say things along the way that might lead you to believe that maybe he was on the take, like maybe maybe the WO could get to him. Yeah, if he named his price, you know, maybe it already had happened and he's trying to overcompensate and deflect from that fact. I thought that was always an interesting thing too, That was that.
Speaker 2: Was pretty cool. I always appreciated that too.
Speaker 1: I hear a little bit of that and what he's saying, he about Nick Patrick. Referee Scott Dickinson is presiding trying to get Jericho tied behind his back one arm. At least they say Teddy Long's mouth got Jericho into this situation. Well, something got Jericho into the situation. Something Teddy put in his mouth.
Speaker 2: Well, usually it's the booker actually that gets the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be more accurate about it, I think Patrick says, somebody needs to take ask tending long where his towel is, because he's gonna need to throw in that towel. Nick is in a cutoff referee shirt.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the fuck that means. What throw the towel when someone's getting beat up so bad?
Speaker 1: I get it, but like what an idiot? Well he's in a rough shirt with cut off sleeves. That's a good start.
Speaker 2: Yes, listen, listen what I'm what I'm seeing here is a perfectly acceptable individual when it comes to being in a wrestling ring, ready to work a match.
Speaker 1: Black pants and white boots, looking like Ron DeSantis in there, and they come to center talking trash. Nick Patrick shoves Jericho, Jericho shoves him down and responds. Nick Patrick steps forward and Jericho yangs out the leg and Nick Patrick takes a huge cartoonish bump. A lot of those here from Nick Patrick, and you know, well, that's what the that's what the match calls for. But he says, you hang on, mister, and then charges into a hip toss from Jericho, takes the bump and then powders does Nick Patrick. Tony notes how Nick Patrick's neck seems to be okay despite all of what's happening here. In his proclamations that he needs a neck brace, he would use the neck brace to sell why he couldn't slap three against the nWo. He'd hit one, two and they go, ah, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Fun I mean, like the he's as a referee, I didn't really haven't like. I enjoyed that. I mean, listen, he's obviously the most scandalous referee and he has very, very flimsy wrists, but I I didn't mind him. The the idea of an nWo referee I thought was very very cool. I liked that. I thought that was interesting, It was funny and it worked. It's just like, he's no business wrestling and in an nWo show, what's he gonna do? Go there and cheat on behalf of the nWo, even in the show where they can What if he's the fucking huh, you know, if if they did yeah, nWo, Nitro, what happens if he's the uh?
Speaker 1: If he's the referee, who's he going to count out right exactly? So it's uh, there's another dead end. But it works if he's in a WCW ring slightly favoring the nWo, which it appeared he did in Stark ninety seven as well.
Speaker 2: In the mean of it, that was.
Speaker 1: Neither here nor there.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't tell anybody to do that, dude. I didn't say you did. Why would you. I didn't say you did what I didn't, Brother, I didn't do it. I didn't say Nick Patry. I didn't like, hey, brother, No, dude, you know I'm thinking what if? What if we can fuck around with sting?
Speaker 18: Dude?
Speaker 2: He just too a fast cout. I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: Were you worried about a sting push? What at the time were you worried about a sting push?
Speaker 16: Brother?
Speaker 2: You know, well, not listen.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a yes or no question, mister Hogan, and all due respect, Well, brother, I just want to so, were you afraid of a sting push?
Speaker 2: Seah? Well, I want to trying to get at the bottom of dude. You know we're talking about you know, yes or no question? Brother, that's kind of the subjective thing.
Speaker 1: Can I rephrase my question? Then why instead of you were you worried about a sting push? I would ask you this, mister Hogan, are you worried about a stinging push?
Speaker 2: Hm? Should it be? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm asking you if you are?
Speaker 2: I mean I brother, Oh, I'm asking you you know well, let me ask you that. What'm I ask you this?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 2: You'll wear a sting like right now? Worries?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 2: The only thing that's for sure about sting is nothing's for sure. What I'll see you later, mister Hogan. What do you mean nothing for sure? Dude? Interviews I'm for sure, dude. No, I'm over brother, I'm for sure. The chipion no, I'm over brother, Like I'm thinking of t. N. H.
Speaker 1: Hogan with the red on his face, like freaking out that there's been a plot hatched to get Hogan rolled up without his permission, sitting in the back like, oh God, so yeah, Dusty says, ain't nothing wrong with his neck. He's putting that whole thing down. As Nick Patrick goes to the other ring apron to byde his time, Jericho forces a Patrick sucks chan. He basically like screams at the crowd to say it please yes, please make it seem like this is a good idea. Tony says, it's a parent that Nick Patrick has been part of the nWo for a while, he's been on the take. Wonder would Jericho be safe tonight against Nick Patrick?
Speaker 15: For that?
Speaker 18: True?
Speaker 2: That's true. You had to wonder is Jericho safe when it comes to guys on the take.
Speaker 1: It's pretty funny. Jericho just uses one hand to lock on a hammer lock, and even with just one hand, Nick Patrick is wailing in agony.
Speaker 2: Is that the real sound? Do it again? Let's do it again. That's how you get things over in wrestling. It's a hammer lock. Okay, he's not stabbing him fucking house, fucking sound. Ever, he's screaming like it like.
Speaker 1: His assholes getting ripped out of one of those like suction things in the pool.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, crosh.
Speaker 7: Start just dumb fell a dream.
Speaker 2: In there, thanks Nick fucking hell screaming. He says he'd start pounding on that one good hand if he were wrestling Jericho. U.
Speaker 1: Jericho gets some kicks away and hits a spin kick with his hands tied, and Nick Patrick hits the mat and convulses. Convulses from the impact Jericho the hiptos. Patrick wolds out of the ring, Teddy Long talks him trash. Nick Patrick shoves him and Teddy returns to a pop. But it's kind of a weak shove, let's be honest. Bobby Heenan says, that's outside of interference, which is a good point. Heenan with his hand on his monitor, just in case things.
Speaker 2: Got out of hand. He's always ready. He is horrified that he could get injured.
Speaker 1: K Patrick, back in the ring, tries a right hand, but it's blocked and Jericho kicks away, even with one hand tied behind his back. Nick Patrick, though, lands a slap and Jericho answers and Nick Patrick Pratt falls once again and rolls out of the ring. Tony is suspicious on who exactly Bobby Heenon is cheering for in this match again, that suspicion that he could be on the take as well. Back then, Jericho, stomping the foot, drops Nick Patrick with a clothes line. He goes out after him on the floor and plants an elbow. Nick Patrick shoves him into a double post. Though, yeah, double post because it's where.
Speaker 2: Two rings meet. So you got more twos double post, You've been talking to you talking about now, dude, who's tappened? What has there been a booking meeting with that I wasn't involved in? I thought Sullivan was on my side. Brother, he knows like he's oak shows up to the building.
Speaker 1: It's like the twelve o'clock production meeting is just letting out, and he was told he is it one and he gets there for it fifteen minutes early, and everyone's like hustling out and they see him and they all like kind of look down, like, hey, hey, Terry, how you doing? And they all kind of like looked down away from him and like scurry into their respective corners of the arena and helps standing there like you gotta be shipping me?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 1: Who's going on in there?
Speaker 2: Who screwed me?
Speaker 18: Brother?
Speaker 2: Exactly what happened? Right?
Speaker 19: Yo?
Speaker 2: You said the meeting was at one o'clock. Brother, we're talking double cross. I just listen, brother, I'm not trying to look. I'm not trying to step on my mod toes all right, Dude? What I want I just want to get and get things back in line, Dude, I just want to understand what happened?
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: You know, was there a time change or something like are you talking about you know, like you know day life saving time?
Speaker 15: Brother?
Speaker 2: Something happened my bad, dude? Like what's up? Dude?
Speaker 11: Why?
Speaker 19: Why?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: Are we you know?
Speaker 2: Why was meeting changed? How come Hulk Cogan wasn't notified about him?
Speaker 19: Brother?
Speaker 1: What would happen if I didn't happen to show up fifty minutes early? Because I'm always all the time, you know, brother, if I hadn't been here, Dude, I got here. Do you have another meeting and pretend that I'm that was the real one and not mentioned? Tell me like, are you taking the belt? We would never, Darry, We would never. Uh So, Yes, Patrick's able to shove Jericho into the pair of posts because two rings are meeting there. And then Jericho throws a punch. Nick Patrick ducks and swap. Jericho's good hand goes right into the post. And now it's time for Nick Patrick to throw some left handed jabs for our entertainment. Tony asks, Bobby are you on the take? Have you had a meeting with Eric Bischoff this week? Bobby says, yeah, I think this might be it and I might have this one.
Speaker 7: Maybe so much him know what happened to that man's right hand. Why don't you get out a talk to him?
Speaker 2: Brain?
Speaker 7: Are you on the take? I'm not on the take, are you?
Speaker 6: Are you leaning towards the nWo or you had a meeting with Eric Bischoff this week.
Speaker 2: I haven't had no meaning for anybody this week. Pry pride, Tony, You pride in front of a bitch? You want that in fun?
Speaker 9: Get that information out that candy motherfucker. He ain't telling the truth. He's talking taken daddy, He's taken.
Speaker 2: It all, baby from baby, he's on the take. He's on my take, like fucking monk, callaway, baby, unbelievable. And he says, by the way, or any week, by the way, and even if I did have a meeting, it's none of your business.
Speaker 7: It's it's right.
Speaker 1: So Nick Patrick with a snapmar and does the Kurt heading rolling. Next snap, I shit you not. He does the mister perfect front front flip. Next snap, Nick Patrick does this to the corner. Patrick lit him up with some punches, raises his arm to a chorus of boos, of course, and then goes into the camera and says he's a punk. Then he fights out of the corner with some right hands this Jericho one armed Irish whip is reversed. Jericho hits the buckle, gets his foot up and Nick Patrick collapses again upon impact. This guy bumps on every contact, every time he's touched.
Speaker 2: He's sore. Listen because he needs to take a breather every fucking moment. You know, he's gotta fucking lay on the ground and and and just fucking suck that wind. In that opening, Jericho drives Patrick under the corner over and over again. Dusty says, that will sure make your drowse eh whip with one arm and a backdrop. He manages to backdrop Nick Patrick with an arm tied behind his back. So does eating a bucket of fried chicken.
Speaker 1: Absolutely hits a shoulder block. Another arm guides him up and over with a hip toss or a backdrop. Nick Patrick's in and out kicks Jericho on the way back in, and Patrick hits the ropes kind of does a forearm, kind of low just kind of lunges at him, and yeah, Jericho's on his knees. Dusty sys nick Patrick has seen every dirty trick.
Speaker 2: Some of it had to rub off.
Speaker 1: Nick Patrick goes up top Chris Jericho cuts him off, grabs him by the shirt, climbs to the bottom rope, and then it uses his one arm to pull Nick Patrick off the top for a front flip bump like a Rick Flair gorilla press deal, and then Jericho's able to land a super kick after Nick Patrick hits the canvas and stands up. Yeah, one, two and the three. Eight minutes, two seconds, Chris Jericho defeats Nick Patrick, yes, with one hand tied behind his back at World War three ninety six.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I guess are you not entertained? I mean, listen, there's uh I'm happy that that Nick Patrick lost. Yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, we can take solace. And that one thing that's great about a Jericho match on any pay per view in particularly these early days, is he's got that book where he writes about everything, and he does have a couple of passages here about how uh, let's just say the Nick Patrick program that was put in front of him shortly upon his arrival in WCW in nineteen ninety six was not exactly what he would hoping for.
Speaker 18: It.
Speaker 2: Take it away, oh boy. After floating around with no direction for the first few months of my tenure. Sullivan told me that I was finally going to be put into a storyline that's tremendous, I said, with excitement, Who's going to be with Eddie Gurero, Rick Flair, Randy Savage, Nick Patrick? Nick Patrick? He replied, Nick Patrick was a referee. I'd worked all over the world to make it to the big time, and my first angle was going to be against a referee. How low can you go? It got worse when Sullivan told me that I was going to be managed in the feud by Teddy Long. Personally, Teddy was a great guy and a great performer, but the problem was at the time, Teddy's protegeates lost most of their matches. As soon as Sullivan aligned him with me, I knew I was screwed. I was battling a referee in a one arm tied behind my back match with Typhoid Teddy as my mentor. Sean Michaels never had it so good. Things fell apart during the match when the rope tying my arm behind my back came loose and I had to pretend it was still securely fast. That's a lot I didn't see that. That's really funny. It didn't matter anyway, as the announcers hardly commented on the bout they were too busy plugging the nWo. The social aspects of WCW were equally as disheartening. The locker room was infested with politics and clicks great title for a rap song, and the office gave special treatment to the powerful ones. Hogan and Savage had their own dressing rooms and didn't really talk to anybody else. Hal and Nash were in their own little unit and acted above everyone. Other guys like Scott Steiner, DDP, Paul White, and Booker T later became my friends, but within the WW environment they seemed uptight and defensive. Booker even balked at working with Dean Eddie and Me, complaining I ain't no cruiser weight, as if he would get leprosy from touching us. There wasn't a lot of cross pollination among the clicks. It was almost like regressing to high school, where you had to be careful about who you talked to and where you sat in the lunch room. Once I sat down in catering at Hogan's table and he looked at me like I just whipped him in the face with my jack Johnson. Maybe I should have. It would have been given him no choice but to talk to me. The booking of the matches worked the same way. The guys who made a certain amount of money worked almost exclusively with each other. There was a level that you were placed at or and it was rare to ever move to another level. It was like an Indian caste system. Whatever level you came in at was the level that you were destined to stay at. I came in at one hundred and sixty five thousand dollars, and that's where I would stay. I hardly ever worked with anyone who made let's say, seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars, because they were worth more than me, and worked with the guys in their tax bracket. On the odd occasion that I did work with one of the big money guys, it was usually in a quick squash. In WCWA, seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars salary had to be justified with a seven hundred and fifty dollars push.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars push.
Speaker 2: In sorry seven that's indeed.
Speaker 1: Life in WCW. According to Chris Jericho, great vantage point there and as much as he kind of boxed at the Nickpatrick program, Nick Patrick liked it, you better believe he did. Here he is recently talking with Chris van Vliet.
Speaker 15: The match with Chris Jericho where he had one hand tied behind his back. Oh, man, that was a blast. They came in and asked me if I wanted to do the match, and I said yeah.
Speaker 16: And I got to know Chris and I went to a concert with him and we talked, and he constructed the whole thing.
Speaker 15: Man. I knew from very early.
Speaker 16: On that he was going to be a big star as a matter of being in the right place at the right time and giving him a chance. But he come up with all of that, man, And the only thing I come up with was him slamming me off the top at the end to set up a kick, and and the rest was him And.
Speaker 7: It was so fun.
Speaker 16: I would I wasn't in shape either, man. I tried to start working out a little bit. They hit me with I said, okay, And back then I smoked cigarettes and stuff. I'm an idiot, right, but I smoked cigarettes and stuff back then, man, and I had man, I had to go out there. I got going thirteen minutes live with a kid like Jericho with a hand one hand tie behind his back. He got to go a little bit and I was taking hip tosses and stuff, you know, but I'd always bail out of the ring and regroup, catch my wind, you know.
Speaker 15: And then he and he was gracious man.
Speaker 16: He let me get some heat on him, and it let me do a couple of things to him to set up him beat me up in the.
Speaker 15: End, and it got a great reaction, man. And it's funny.
Speaker 16: We did a German tour at uh right after that happened, and for some reason, I guess they had trouble getting buses, so.
Speaker 15: They rented a bunch of cars and we had drivers for every car man, And it was so cool.
Speaker 16: Me and Booker T got in one car and they let us just have our own car and we let people pile their extra bags in there.
Speaker 2: It was me and Booker T and our driver man.
Speaker 16: And we went to all these different towns and it was fun. It was, hey, we're going to stop here, I said, where can we eat? Where was a good bar?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 15: It was a lot of fun. So anyway, it was the last day of the tour. And we all kind of got to.
Speaker 16: Know our drivers a little bit, and everybody got to let their hair down and drink because they didn't we didn't have to go anywhere the last last night, you know, that show was over and we're in the bar, and all of a sudden, on the damn Sports Network on the bar, that match come on and we're.
Speaker 15: All in their hammer and getting drinking.
Speaker 16: Now, all these drivers of the cars, they're like, ah, they hadn't seen it yet, right.
Speaker 2: And man, those that whole bar went wild.
Speaker 16: Man, they were laughing at their butts off at me every time I'd make it one of my faces or I'd do something.
Speaker 15: I made a lot of my mean faces in that match that they popped for me, man.
Speaker 16: And at the end of it, they all gave me the round of applause at the end, and we all drank a beer to it.
Speaker 15: And it was really a cool experience, man. But the match itself was so much fun.
Speaker 16: And Chris is so good and so smooth, and like I said, I knew back then he was going to be a big star.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's easy to forget that. While it's cringe in the career of christ Jericho and his trajectory. It's like the greatest night in Nickpatrick's life, right.
Speaker 2: I mean details. He wanted to wrestle, right, he wanted to be in the ring, but he was just a he sucked, right.
Speaker 1: I guess I think he actually got hurt and it cut his innring career short and he transitioned into a refereeing if I remember correctly. Yeah, but yeah, he here remembers it very fondly. Jericho and his fourth book looked back on this one and called it a dead end push and a dead end angle. But Teddy and Nick were great guys and we did our best. So kind of softening his view several years later on this particular piece of business probably have to he realized how fondly Nick Patrick remembers it, as Tony says, you know about Jericho after this victory titles or down the road for this young man. Yes, And the problem is they would be in the WWE for the most part. So Tony and company now standing at ringside and they recall on Nitro that there was a police that were trying to restrain Roddy Piper and he was beating on them, and that Piper clearly means business and Dusty says, this is more than an WO or WCW have followed Roddy Piper since the first pair of kilts, since there were the first pair of kilts on Piper, which is not true. He did not follow him that long.
Speaker 2: I mean, I also, you know, I don't think you wore a pair of kilts and it takes a long you wore a kilt. He then says a lot of words and then finishes where the big boys play, Yep, nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 10: Get a lap fan wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the lapsed fan. He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnassio and JP.
Speaker 9: What we're talking about We're talking about Watermelon Baby, We're talking about World War three.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying Here we are once again nor Folk Arena. Baby.
Speaker 9: We're talking about out big time Daddy with a big Boys play and where we're talking about Hug Hogan ride at pipa Daddy.
Speaker 7: He's wearing a kilt. He's doing what he has to do to get in there.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. He has to get in there.
Speaker 9: You have to get that contract signed, and thenby's gonna go and we all gonna watch it all.
Speaker 7: Baby, We're gonna watch it live as.
Speaker 9: We go, bounding bouncing around the arena, Daddy taking the scope with us as we go, and we going all around the globe, saying that's the way it's done, because wfi W is where we get things. We get what we need, Daddy, we get where we gonna go. Baby, we take it, we take it up, we take it down, we take it every which way, because that is what happens. That's what happening right now. Baby, we're talking nWo W fi W, and it's all gonna.
Speaker 2: Happen right before our very eyes almost dream.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, you know I gotta I gotta reflect back on something even deeper that and you know I talked about it being more than the INWO or more than w CW brain.
Speaker 7: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 8: I have followed the career from the time the first pair of kilts or put on right a pipe up.
Speaker 7: You know he took. I believe he took a long road and a.
Speaker 8: Long way to come all the way back home, you know what I'm talking about. And I believe he is coming back home with this picking up fights with Hulkogan because this.
Speaker 7: Is worth all that. Make no mistake about it. This is really where the big boys play.
Speaker 2: I'll make a lot of mistakes about it.
Speaker 9: Make don't make no stick about it. And I said, no, made daddy with with a big boys play with himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, no shit, because that did sound a little mastabatory. But I said it before.
Speaker 1: I'll say it again. It's just a relief to see salad spilling out of Dusty's mouth for once, instead of page to bed.
Speaker 2: It's not going into his mouth, you know, like that's a problem he keeps coming out. Well, i'll take that.
Speaker 1: Over page three of the Long Horned Steakhouse menu. Susually what's in his mouth? Heenan says, Piper is the only man Hulk Cogn's never defeated, So they're building that up.
Speaker 2: Tony says, let's take you back to the website. As he goes website, he doesn't even know what the word means. And they give me a web thod daddy who's waking wetness And.
Speaker 1: There he is American mail buff Bagwell Marcus Alexander Bagwell is talking on a chat. You know, he's like dictating what he wants to.
Speaker 2: Say, dictating this rookie of the Year, Marcus Bagwell.
Speaker 1: You can see Jeff Katz with Disco Inferno and Mark Madden in the background talking it up. Disco always drawn to those webcasts. He always loved to put the headsets on back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Jean's now in the aisle and he says, I knew sooner or later you get to me, tony, gentlemen, he's on the shelf. He's not competing in the three ring battleroil tonight. However, he has sold this joint out on many occasions. He is the thirteen time world heavyweight champion nature Boy Rick Flair. And you better believe they had like that. I don't know what you'd call it, like the Vietnam War curtain fatigue things there. Yeah, yeah, you couldn't even see it until they showed Flair come out in a sling. He just had shoulder surgery the past week for real under doctor James Andrews, which he had postponed quite a bit. And and yes, Flair was not in Jeff Jarrett's corner for the match against Paul White on the show. The Giant hasn't been advertised so it's already getting a little weird, this whole flare Jeff jarted angle where Jarrett was kind of like an honorary horseman for a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: And that was it right.
Speaker 1: It said he was going to corner Jeff Jarrett, acting like Jared's going to join the horseman with Flair endorsing. And here's a little taste from Nitro as to where the expectation came that Flair would actually corner Jeff Jarrett and actually, you know, join forces with him as opposed to show up World War three and have absolutely nothing to do with Jeff Jarrett.
Speaker 20: What on Monday night, it is here on Nitro tnt Rick Clair making a grand appearance at your side, Jeff Jarrett, as you prepare for this Sunday night in World War three, you know you've got the big one coming up with the Big Bang. You never got the chokeslamp from although at Halloween have it.
Speaker 21: That's exactly right, gee, and it's good to see you back.
Speaker 7: And this is exactly what.
Speaker 21: I'm doing talking about everybody putting their personal differences aside.
Speaker 7: And what I said for the last three weeks is we've got to unite.
Speaker 21: You've got the thirteen time world heavyweight champion. I'm talking about the man Rick Flair stating right here, and you've got the man who says what he's gonna do and he goes out and does it.
Speaker 7: Let's refresh some memories. If I can interrupt here, Jeff, and take a look.
Speaker 11: I want you to explain to me last week on this television program.
Speaker 7: Take a look at this. This was the biggest shock I've ever seen in my life. The four horsemen had their difference. Just put a sign and the.
Speaker 21: Clowns gotta walk down the ringside.
Speaker 7: Be first CDT. I could not believe that. Is there a dissension in WCW? Is there an ascension amongst the horsemen?
Speaker 21: Gene o' glynn, me and Gene. I'm not here out here to talk about discinsion. I'm tired here to talking about two guys uniting. I'm tired here to talk about w c You're pulling it together.
Speaker 7: I'm talking about WCW going to war.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 7: I'm chopping at.
Speaker 21: The size before when I did it at Havoc, and if I gotta do it next Sunday, That's exactly what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 7: Right nature.
Speaker 11: Me Jo, Welcome back, nature Boy.
Speaker 22: At this particular point in time, the nature boy is telling the world that Jeff Jack.
Speaker 7: Is good Tago okay, wow, as how are they hanging?
Speaker 22: Brother, Doctor Jim fixed me up. I'm coming back down that road soon. But you mean time, double j Can you style a profile?
Speaker 7: Yes, you know I can. Rick, Like, now do you walk that out? Walk it and talk it? Call you death? So night, that's my longer. Just give me a shot, Rick, Just give me a shote.
Speaker 3: They gonna stay all night, stay a little long, shiny.
Speaker 7: Me out for Secon. Stay very bye.
Speaker 22: Go hey, Chris Benoir, listen to the lead horseman, Jeff Jaredson because the Nick Jima says, so, whoa what of my house?
Speaker 7: Sweeties? Jean, thank you very much?
Speaker 3: Showing a dock. Yes, just a minute, Doc, one more time for Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And that was like Jared's and the horsemen, and then they just dropped it. Well, how can he be? How can there be five horsemen right? Such a fuck.
Speaker 1: He's all the way in, okay, brother, So back to World War three, Gene says to Ric Flair, I remember when you broke in and vern Ganya's training camp. It has been a great career and right now there's a lot of questioning being asked of you mean Woo bye God, here here we go? Isn't say by God?
Speaker 7: Mean Jean? Who we are in no Folk, Virginia and we are The theme.
Speaker 3: Of the event tonight is World War three, but in reality it's.
Speaker 7: W C W Hot Tour. Woo Now being caught up in the emotion of the.
Speaker 22: Moment, let me make it very clear that Hollywood.
Speaker 7: HAULK, Hogan and nWo are entitled to walk their own way in life. But when it comes down to wrestlers like.
Speaker 23: Rick Flair, Woo, arn Anderson, the Stinger, Wolkesluger, the Stagers, Begua MacMichael, the list is that list we represent w by God.
Speaker 7: Ce W thank you. It's about time somebody stepped up to the plane.
Speaker 22: Even though the Nature Boy is temporarily he compacitated, I promise you, the wrestling public, that before it's all said it done, the Nation Boy hold on, hold on, wait.
Speaker 2: A minute, Jacket's coming out and.
Speaker 7: Harry comes, can I said? I who who? That's all right? Death no longer stay all right?
Speaker 19: Has a little longer at thew will belong to wsc W.
Speaker 7: Thank you the response on me tonight. Thanks your part, m claire, one of my cod Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: I mean that's how you rally the troops.
Speaker 2: But well, but Flare's no good as a babyface even against the nWo, not at all. He's awful. I'm being sarcastic. Oh, I see what you're saying, because he always talks about how he no good. He always says he's no good at babyface.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen to this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean they can't help, but fucking roar for it. That's what needed to happen in response to the nWo. He knows what to do.
Speaker 1: He knows what to say in that promo. It's not like, you know, it's not like there weren't people in that company didn't know how to do. It's the thing, right, that's the thing right there. See, he is the proof in the puddings that the fans wanted, that they that although they would cheer and they would enjoy the nWo, they knew what they actually needed in the long And I don't want to hear that it was Norfolk. You know, that's an old No, it doesn't matter you can make every city want it, even though they love the nWo on the East coast and all in Chicago, I mean.
Speaker 2: Namely a city where Rick Flair is going to get booed. In nineteen ninety seven, opposing.
Speaker 1: Right, show me, show me a town Flair exactly because what they needed was someone who epitomized WCW to exactly see a WO, not just anybody exactly a WWD, someone who epitomized like a lose.
Speaker 2: You got to remember, you got to remember. What made it interesting was that if you're you're imagining, that is the WWE, right, And anyone who's a fan of WCW over the WWE doesn't want to see ww WI. It's just plain and fucking simple. But Flare's not a draw. Flair wasn't you know, a big star, etcetera.
Speaker 1: Gene says, the first one's on me to night, and Tony says, when with Flair in Oakland, it's not the first one you worry about, it's the last time, right, You're damn right. Tony saying, not a seat to be found. I think he means an empty seat, but I get what he means. There's plenty of seats to be found. I see, that's how all these people are sitting. We hear the nWo music now for the first time in the evening because here comes the giant, who, of course just joined the stable through the crowd because we're rebels.
Speaker 2: They would enter.
Speaker 1: They put a spotlight on the ring then and shaded the shaded the others on one ring. Oh pardon me, yeah, in the three ring scenario, and they would have singles matches, they'd put a spotlight on one ring and the others kind of obscure. Here comes Jeff Jarrett's music and.
Speaker 7: Plan on an.
Speaker 2: This w W music sticks in my head. I get asked the question, what about what appealed to Jeff Jared when it came to his fucking attires.
Speaker 1: Dude, the Venetian, the Venetian blinds as Conrad.
Speaker 2: Like, what did what about that? He said, you know what, Yeah, I want that's what I want. I want to bring in my I want to bring in my outfit. Bischoff. It's so awful. It never looked good. It looks like such a fucking goofy piece of ship. I would take an Aztec over that ship. Yeah, yeah, he ever brought that.
Speaker 1: Cost that'd be money, although or or why could he just not wear that top where the choker? That doesn't yeah, the choker.
Speaker 2: No, it's everything. It's also the fucking jailhouse. Look like, I don't get it. Is it offensive? It's a very offensive and it's inappropriate and it's not suited for children. You're not going to stand for it. Absolutely not. I'm gonna write some letters to Turner.
Speaker 1: Tony said, if Flaire had to relinquish the US.
Speaker 2: Title, what if someone wrote a letter to to Turner complaining about today? Sure today today? Like like fucking did it today? Because they watched they watched a World War three on the network. You know, we're where the fucking the company hasn't been owned by Turner in over twenty years again, well twenty five years, and I just want to say I saw this World War III show and I was deeply offended.
Speaker 1: Do you understand what videotape is him? It's how sad is it that? Like whatever dress you would have written to it's like, God, there's nothing there now, there's no one working there at the time I was coming with activity.
Speaker 2: And they also don't want people to know where the address is either. That's that's also the way in the in the Internet age. They don't want you to be able to contact them in person. They don't even want you to be able to content them on the phone. You must send an emails, you must.
Speaker 1: Tony explains that flairt had to relinquish the US title here that the Giant has due to the thirty day clause. He's no longer champion. So Jeff Jerreed comes out in the white suspenders like anyone cares some sparklers for him. He's saying, lay him uptight, Giant as he makes his way into the ring with his arms upraised. Jeff Jarrett versus the Giant here at World War and and Giant's got the w the US title. Yeah, but he doesn't really he never like took aossession of it. Well, I guess because Flair, I guess you didn't defend it in thirty days or something, right, Yep, because of the injury. So he's stripped of the title and they just just Giant took it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: That was another belt, the nWo claimed. So Jarrett attacks and throws early Randy Anderson trying to stop him from getting this thing going. Before the bell sounds, the Giant shoves him off to a big pop. This crowd is like, no, we are not with Jeff Jarrett. We don't care what flag he's flying, we don't care if he's horseman.
Speaker 2: WCW.
Speaker 1: It's time for the nWo to kick this guy's ass because he's got a coffee shirt on.
Speaker 2: There's no like.
Speaker 7: Was there.
Speaker 2: Has there ever been any revelation as to what the the goal was with the Jarrett horseman thing, like where they were going to go with it.
Speaker 1: He's talked a lot about it. It's like a running joke on his podcast, but not really. No, I don't think they had I think it was open ended from the beginning. I'm sure at some point he was going to turn on them, and he kind of did. But joining the nWo, I don't think was ever the actual move. He's been a DECENTWO addition.
Speaker 2: H Well, he was, actually he was. But nWo two thousand, come on, don't forget what fuck it's true. Let's not forget. Never forget NW two thousand. The Silver and Black don't piss me alf, don't piss me off. So a wlf A go nuts.
Speaker 1: When he shoves Jared on his ass, Irish Wifts drops and Jared hit him with a uppercut.
Speaker 2: It's a weird thing too, Like what like Jared during this period, It's like he was he was a hot little thing in his early years and like up through the USWA and then his ninety three through ninety eight period, he's just a fucking joke. Like nobody likes him at all, and he's not awful, but he just sucks like he does, you know what I mean, Like he does. He has good matches, like he's got that great one with Sean and in ninety five in your house, he's you know, he puts on some good some good stuff, but he just fucking sucks and he's just not interesting and he he's so boring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's it's actually amazing that he stayed paid as long as he has in the business for that exactly. I mean in TNA, he was such a bore and TNA kind of grew with him as champion, it really did, even though people were kind of decrying that he had this iron grip on the belt and on the company and he's like, no one wants to see Jeff Yard as a world champion. I don't care what no, But now he's like, you know it, kind of whacks and winges even in aew he number now and then he'll cut a fiery promo where people just decide, Okay, this guy's an emblem of a bygone era. It's like, no, go back to whatever era you think he's emblematic of. And right, he was the fucking bottom of the barrel in the business in terms of white guys who could draw an audience.
Speaker 3: Like he was.
Speaker 1: He became interesting again ninety eight, and I mean because he hit the women over the head with guitars, right exactly, Let's see who is next, you know, in that in that litany, and that's where he's formed that bond with Vince Russo. And that's kind of a huge part of it, you know, really, is that he he made such a good bond with Russo that he was got a huge push, way outside push in WCW when Russo made the jump, and then further when he started TNA and brought Russo into book. I mean, Jared was the made man at that point as well, because he had the booker. And while there was a falling out in that relationship, Yeah, it's kind of miraculous, honestly, how long Jeff Jyard has stayed paid in the wrestling business despite never really doing things past a certain sort of ic US title level that felt.
Speaker 2: Appropriate, right.
Speaker 1: You know that world title reigns in WCW were all Russeau horrific and ken I remember half of it?
Speaker 2: You can, I mean, honestly, you can. You can. He didn't despite having four world title reigns in WCW, he held it like for like a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, I know, because he had the David rcqette stuff. Everything was a mess. But here he is trying to make his first impact in the World Championship Wrestling after jumping from WWF, and they were on the other channel. They're they they're revealing that Jesse James saying with my baby tonight and trying to make road Dog draw. What an awful thing. That was their version of trying to pretend they didn't lose Jarrett the Nation Hall try to pretend we didn't lose him as come with the fake The real Double Jay was all the same time, and.
Speaker 2: That's what he was. The real Double Jerry.
Speaker 1: Cool Jared comes to the number cuts ducks a big swiping right hand by the Giant and now it's stick and move offense from double Jay. He dodges him in the corner, lands and rights, but Giant keeps walking him down. Jeff Jared been endorsed by Flair, Heenan says, and the man Flair says, can strut and walk that aisle and keep from getting choke slam. That's why he's been anointed the representative in this match up. Jeff Jarrett dodges him in the corner, hits some mounted pushes, punches on a Giant's head, but he's pushed backwards. Tony puts over Jeff Jared, who appreciates, He says, the roots and the tradition of what this sport has been. Giant shoves him off a couple more times and levels him with the clothesline and when he puts Jeff Jarrett fat flat on his back. When he puts Jeff Jarrett horizontal, the gods, the guys are popping in Norfolk.
Speaker 2: Yes, they need it, they want it. They want to see him fucking get ripped upon too, especially by nWo. Tough.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, I don't remember the guy's being quite so pro nWo this early in the angle, but here it is ladies and gentlemen, if they were tearing into the right.
Speaker 2: Guy right exactly. It all depends on the guy that they were fucking ripping apart.
Speaker 1: Giant on the corner, charge misses and Jeff Jarret hits a flying clothesline from the corner and a dropkick gets ahead of steam and Giant lifts his foot and shoves him back mid air. Jarret takes off like he's gonna splash him, and Big Sure gets the foot up and he's so tall that he knocks Jarrett out of the.
Speaker 2: Sky with it. Good spot, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Giants stomping away high scoop and slam.
Speaker 2: And Tony gives us an explanation as to the reason that Giant join nWo, which you know gets Dusty going.
Speaker 6: You know, many people wonder why the Giant made the turn that he made with the nWo. Look at him stopping Jeff Jarrett. If you will, Hollywood Haul Coogan promised a giant if he made that turn, he made that movie, he would get parts and movies.
Speaker 8: Very simplic root, Yeah boy, what a pal slam that is, Tonik, can you hit it right on the head. Speculation and and not taking a situation. Honeywood, Hulk Ogan has so much power. He is the biggest star in any in the street. He is not only a last love. He is He's been on all the big things. He's a movie star. And he's off of these guys moving parts. He's off of these guys pass to drive his car.
Speaker 7: He's off these.
Speaker 8: Guys instead of work, you know what I mean. And he's gathered a bunch of them like a covey quail. And if you want, he won't gather brought it Papa into his covet is cubby.
Speaker 1: I do like that that he's putting everyone on payroll, you know. That's that's something I mean. Yeah, I'm okay with that huge elbow drop with great height.
Speaker 2: By the way, For those wondering, Jeff Jarrett, his combined four title rings, four w CW world title reigns totaled fifty eight days. Wow, fifty eight.
Speaker 1: It's a legacy right there. Yeah, huge elbow drop up with a big height by the giant. He used to get up quite a bit back in those days. They're talking about the movies and steady work. Tony actually mentions Arnold and Jingle all the way, says he has a part of that, yep, And he and says DEBIASI has a lot to do with that, his money making all these opportunities possible. So they're keeping that alive.
Speaker 2: Debia is the one paying off Schwarzenegger.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that'd be a funny skit if they'd get Arnold to agree to it. A palm's greased by a hidden camera.
Speaker 2: You can I see one of those, right, the hidden camera, right, and it's like, you know, ah, I'll come back to Hanov and sure, right, fantastic it's great. Oh yes, fantastic is great. Yeah, I'll put the big show in the movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Speaking of speaking of which, the giant slapping Jeff Jared around corner whip Jeff Jared takes the buckling hard ust. He's talking about how they had Eric Bischoff with the power at the top all this time and we didn't know. So it's a very unsettling feeling in the booth as the crowd now rising to their feet and pointing up. What are they pointing at? It's got to be sting, They're all pointing, And there he is, traversing the catwalks high above the Norfolk Scope and violation of Union rules and he looks off.
Speaker 2: Oh totally listen. He is in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 1: A Sting look awesome up there or what? Yes, he does activating a space of the arena that wrestling companies never did so cool. You can see the roof of the scope. Giant whips Jeff Jyard in and drops him with a big boot. Tony says, is he leaving?
Speaker 2: Is leaving?
Speaker 1: We understand?
Speaker 2: Okay, not sure.
Speaker 1: Giant drops the leg after hitting the big boot. I swear to god he does the fucking Hogan finish. We see the spotlight now is on Staying and he's descending behind some kind of wall like he kind of he doesn't fall from the ceiling on a repel line. He kind of just like disappears behind this little wall on one side of the scope with apparently a staircase on it. And there's another pop as we see Sting making his way down through the people and they're keeping a wide shot here. Giant with a backbreaker he and says we will know the answer very shortly. Is Sting nWo or WCW. Giant misses a Vader bomb off the middle ropes, but of course no one's watching the ring, Sting's coming in. Jeff Jarrett climbs and hits a cross body block for two on the Giant, and there he is Stinger with a single black line running down each eye, and Giant lunges and misses and goes over the top to the floor. Sting gets in the ring with the trench coat to a pop. He grabs Jeff Jarrett by the hair and reverse DDT's them and they explode. They explode because it's fucking They think it's the moment. Yes, they think Sting has decleared his allegiance to the nWo.
Speaker 2: YEP, but no. Dusty even explodes and says Sting is with the nWo.
Speaker 7: You bet he is.
Speaker 1: That man has bad intentions, and Heenan says they have brought the devil out of Sting. He's making no move though towards the Giant, so they're you know, reading into that, of course. But Sting then bounces. He doesn't celebrate with the Giant, he doesn't hug him, he doesn't put an WO shirt on. He just leaves yep, as they call him a tormented soul. Giant then gets in, snatches Jeff Jarrett by the throat and they explode as he lifts Jarrett with the delay and dumps them with a devastating choke slam one, two and three. The Giant defeats Jeff Jarrett six minutes and five seconds here at World War three. This was the second time that sting hat attacked Jeff Jarrett and picked him as his target. Tony Schiavanni notes and also mentioned that we have Sting sightings every time Jeff Jarrett is wrestled, So apparently there's something about Jeff Jarrett that's triggering to Sting Giants looks into the camera says one down, two to go. I did like when they talked to the corner cameras after their matches like that in WCW. You know, they like sauntered over to the corner and had a few words. I thought that was always pretty effective.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then Heenen calls Giant the biggest man in pro sports. So that's pretty it's pretty hot, you know, hot angle. It's like, where's Sting going. It's it's still kind of open. I don't think we ever got an explanation of what problem he had with Jeff Jarrett. I don't know if that was supposed to go somewhere, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always gathered that it was never It didn't matter who it was, like, he just was. He was just angry with people who didn't trust him right and everyone as he honestly, Yeah, everyone was guilty of not putting their faith in him and believing that he could be swayed by the end. Next thing we hear, it's the music of rowdy Roddy Piper. There we go, as they say, under the big top dust. He says, it's showtime, Enen says, or let's get out of here. Here comes Piper.
Speaker 1: He steps out in the classic look with the black leather coat, a shirt that says no fear in the hot rod lettering, and a piece of paper in his hand with a serious look. There's a table set up in the ring like a ceremonial table, and there's photographers in there shooting away. Dave Penzer is at the table. He didn't calls him a pelican in a suit, and Heenan says Piper may just be a bigger movie star than Hogan, and they they leaned into that a little bit their respective Hollywood careers. Like Piper was the one guy who could challenge Hogan on that front.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, so he says, obviously, there's no sense in waiting. I got the contract. Get out here, Hogan. The w music hits. I don't know if it was Voodoo Child on the original broadcast, but it's the nWo music on Peacock. I don't think he had brought in Voodoo Child yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know when it started, but I thought that that wasn't wasn't it after? Was it later? But he did that now?
Speaker 1: He was still in ANWO when he did it, for sure? Yeah, oh really Yeah. Bischeff comes out with the jeans and leather jacket, Debiastian Virgil or with him and the giant as well, and Tony puts it well, he says, this is our boss.
Speaker 2: Look at this guy. Yep, this was like that.
Speaker 1: One of the first times they really laid eyes on NW Eric Bischoff here at World War three, and they talk about Ted being the money and Virgil being the bodyguard, and Tony says, I never thought I'd see Eric Bischoff and Vince walk down the same aisle together. You know why he did that, That's why they named him Vincent. And Tony enjoyed that pun classic Bischoff with his Kendall face back then camera ready, was that son of a bitch?
Speaker 2: Camera ready? Yes? Oh yes, come on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dusty keeps saying we're under the big Top, and it's like, yeah, we know, it's a circus. Why do you keep emphasizing it. All of a sudden, Eric gets in the ring with a mic in his back pocket, and Tony says, everyone's got a mic tonight. Eric grabs the mic and says, you believe this, mister Piper. I thought i'd let you know that Hollywood's a little busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, I got this. I think I've got this. I got the I don't know where it starts, but I got the whole fucking thing. Get it all right.
Speaker 7: I thought i'd let you know that, uh, Hollow is a little busy. Got a couple of scripts just arrived. He's back taking a look at him.
Speaker 4: He did, however, earlier today give me his power of attorney.
Speaker 7: It's a business thing, you know, Oh my goodness, it's an nw O thing, brother, So.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to take a look at whatever contract you have, and by the power invested in me, I'd be happy to sign for mister Hogan to it meets out requirements.
Speaker 3: First of all, I taught you how to fight, so get out of my way.
Speaker 2: Talking to Virgil there, I love so good. I love that touch fucking money and he singles out verr like I know, like I didn't.
Speaker 1: Don't don't act like I didn't notice how fucking pathetic you are. After all I did for you to liberate you from this piece of ship that you went right, so good you mother fry Piper fucking ad libbing you know. Oh we never went anywhere. It's not like they feuded or anything or leaned into that story.
Speaker 2: So awesome, ezy.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 3: Second of all, you any monster look alike, you know, come be on, wanna bey never could be you know what you are.
Speaker 7: You're one of the new kids on the plot, and you're lost from the blot brother because you're right, you all and absolute.
Speaker 3: Power corrupts absolutely. You're gonna try to say to me that you have power for Holgan. That's great, that's wonderful.
Speaker 7: I taught you on a fight. Yes, Piper's up and I'm here now.
Speaker 3: I ain't finished, and I do know you're there, Gibi AUSSI twenty eight years I've been doing this and not once have I had my hair primped, and not once have I had my nails done. You want to take over the wc W, the nw AL, I could care less. But do you think that I'm gonna trust the lion little flake day, wonderful human being like yourself. Tell me something else to get that crack on that lip? Yeah, you know something. You know why I can wear this because I'm down tough enough to That's why.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right, easy, piper, Okay, I can fine you for that.
Speaker 2: Tell me tell me something.
Speaker 3: How much would it cost me by fine for me just to knock your ass out?
Speaker 7: I can't. I got the money.
Speaker 3: Just give me an approximate ten thousand.
Speaker 7: More than you've got.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what this is going nowhere. I'll tell you something. Votes I'm tired of the bologneas this is the way it's gonna be. You're gonna pay for view Nashville the twenty nine. I fight, Oh, thank you very much. It took me above to memorize that.
Speaker 7: I will fight.
Speaker 3: Holgan.
Speaker 2: Get your hands off that right, so good, you're so ready, you're so ready to fight, you know.
Speaker 3: Yea fight, Holgan. But I'm gonna tell you this.
Speaker 7: I could care less whether the.
Speaker 3: Nw AL is down there, which means, now, if you mess.
Speaker 7: With me, no way out.
Speaker 3: I don't care If I get knocked out and the referee catches these gigs, what you're gonna do. You're gonna revive me and the fight is gonna go on. I'm not going for no tityus. I'm not going for no sneaking out. I ain't going for runnings away. I'm going for the fight of the century and who the icon is. So if I take this fight and you got the balls to get holding down here, then this fight will end the twenty nine, regardless.
Speaker 7: Of the nWo.
Speaker 3: Now you your little puke, get out of here.
Speaker 7: Halgan, you coward, come on down. I don't think so. Piper, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: His cottage number so, Bischoff says, I don't think so. I don't think so, and then Hogan aggressively comes out like what the f there's some across signals here, But isn't Piper phenomenal here? Oh? He is on fight. He is absolutely point yep yep, he gets it. He's just you know, it's funny seeing you know, it's it's really amazing seeing Piper here versus heel Piper in eighty five, who just like makes no sense.
Speaker 1: I know you tell yeah, there's less cocaine, but no, he knows exactly the direction he came in, knowing exactly what the story is to get the Hogan match.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yeah, it it's something. It's really crazy here we go.
Speaker 7: It's like, I don't think. I don't think you want that? Are we gonna have the sunny? You don't think I could see your knees hackings. You asked for it, you got it. Now he comes to us to move. You just tug your own dream.
Speaker 6: Roddie Ronnie Piper at number three to one now Hogan ron.
Speaker 7: Giant, Miss Elizabeth.
Speaker 5: Wait, notice that Piper is still standing in the ring and he hasn't moved.
Speaker 7: He's watching everything that's gone. Oh God, and for Piper nothing me right now. It's very dangerous.
Speaker 5: He should think and use his head. He can't beat them all now. He didn't all come out here a lot. Somebody signed their name.
Speaker 8: Uh, Pipe ain't going nowhere, He ain't running from nobody. This is as big as a gift. Baz button it down.
Speaker 7: And everyone here at the Piper, you got a problem.
Speaker 3: Now, I've always had problems, but that's never stopping cat your butt in the ring.
Speaker 7: Sign the contract and quit talking.
Speaker 2: I also love how Hogan's mic was always blown out. Yeah, you know, for some reason, his mic was never ever like the ceties are always so he's really blatty and just something so awes it's such a no, that's such a Hollywood Hogan thing. Yeah, it only happened with him. Nobody else had that issue.
Speaker 7: That's the best way to put it. Now, apparently he is going to get in the ring here now.
Speaker 6: Piper talked about the event in Nashville on the twenty nine.
Speaker 24: That would be starcade. Piper, to me, what's outnumbered very very badly?
Speaker 19: You know something, Piper, Oh yeah, big man, I'm gonna sign it right. Like I said, you got a real big problem, my friend. You know, I'm used to dealing with individuals that are my equal. I'm used to dealing with people in the ring that are number one contenders. I'm used to dealing with people that are up to my speed. And oh, yes, man, I'm gonna sign that contract. But I just want everybody in here to realize that when you were my equal ten years ago.
Speaker 7: You couldn't get it done.
Speaker 19: And now my friend sends your mister self righteous, mister up it up, mister big man, who's gonna straighten out the whole world?
Speaker 7: Show him the hip?
Speaker 2: What's the big deal of he had hip surgery? Like I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had had hip surgery before the Hollywood backlock brawl, and you know, pretty much kept its secret and they never mentioned it. So it's always like the nWo had this like trump card on him. They knew about the surgery, and they knew he had the weakness that he was trying to hide, and that's what this whole angles about. They show the scar from the hip surgery, and it's like this Achilles feels weird. It's just a weird It's a weird thing. I mean, also making Piper look like a like an eighty year o old man. It does, But I think I agree it does. But I think it kind of works here because it kind of you know, he's not going to be able to move like he used to anyway, you know, so to try to portray him is as good as he ever was, I think might might lead to a letdown. But I'll let him come into starcade with kind of like a like a justified reason to not look that that spry, you know, and that fleet of foot and there's a hot angle. No, they had the scar there. Yeah, it's still good. I mean it's good. It's just like it just it always seems kind of weird to me. I don't know why it feels weird, but it feels. It is funny. They pretend it just happened, like the surgery. It could just get out from surgery.
Speaker 7: All right, here we go, Yeah, show him the hip, Piper, what does he mean here? Get that camera over here. Wait a minute. I want the whole world to see this.
Speaker 2: This gets a little clumps off that hip. Yep.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 7: Boy. You're a straight up dude, aren't you. You're really on the money, aren't you?
Speaker 2: A honey? What is he talking about?
Speaker 19: Let me show the whole world what I've been talking about, Piper.
Speaker 7: Showing the hip? Wow?
Speaker 18: Huh?
Speaker 7: That scar? How about that red? Hey?
Speaker 19: You know something, I don't usually pick on tripples. I don't usually pick on people that are like pig like fat world seems to like you, my friend, And since the whole world wants to see the war that didn't end the score. Oh yes, my man, it's gonna be my pleasure to sign this contract.
Speaker 7: There it is. Let me tell you, Piper now that I'll sign that contract.
Speaker 19: You, my friend, are not good have I don't like to stand on because I can't wait to be up a gimp.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, there you go. Get after him. He's going after holdan get after him.
Speaker 19: He is.
Speaker 7: Sorely out number here.
Speaker 8: Well, he picked it, like I said, he's in there with him now. Hogan gets a whopping on him.
Speaker 3: And he knew what they spect getting in that ring.
Speaker 7: NWL wasn't gonna leave them alone. They don't want him healthy. After he signed his name in that contract. They can't hurt him now, they.
Speaker 10: Won't hold him.
Speaker 2: He breaks free and he's biting and lungeing. Yep, yep.
Speaker 8: He needs to get on him right down, got you you know, like you said, he's out.
Speaker 2: Numbered and he gets restrained again, and then Scott Hall puts him in an abdominal stretch, revealing the hip injury.
Speaker 1: The hip scar.
Speaker 7: Showing that scar there, you can see it. Hogan is going to get a chair. Oh man, he can't be doing this. Man, fop him. He can't do this.
Speaker 21: He's a hip surgery and Hogan's gonna clipple the man.
Speaker 7: That's what he's doing. What a bad scar that is? Right down? Good? No, no, my goodness.
Speaker 6: The question is now it's been signed, But could Piper compete?
Speaker 19: Why?
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what. That's a lot of pain right down. Unbelievable. Look at the size of that scar, that operation. What they're going on to lead again?
Speaker 19: What is he?
Speaker 7: Holgen's got a can of Oh, it appears.
Speaker 4: That our children.
Speaker 7: Infamous can of black spray paint.
Speaker 3: Hogan's got it NWL letters on the legs.
Speaker 7: What this is a sick inside right here?
Speaker 2: I gain to you. I just say he eats piper?
Speaker 1: Was that you just say he eats melts?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna break you in half. You peace a crowd an absolute disgusting scene.
Speaker 2: That's all I can say.
Speaker 5: Eric Bischoff grinning from here to the air hood tb Hosie grinning, Nash grinning and look at rowdy roddy Piper spray painted at NWR.
Speaker 7: Look he's still trying to pull himself up, holding said somebody left and get up, Roddy. You got to get him, get up to he's gonna get up. You gotta get up right here.
Speaker 14: Let's go.
Speaker 7: Pull yourself up, pull your step up, get in the middle of it.
Speaker 8: He can't stand, he can't stand with that leg. I take this the other way around. I guarantee you right in, Piper will be fit for this thing. He's taking his jacket off. He wants to fight right now. He don't care about a leg. He don't care if there's twenty five man. Yep, Piper cannot stand on that leg.
Speaker 5: Hogan took that steel chair and just waffled him, waffled.
Speaker 7: Him in that hip.
Speaker 6: Our contract has been signed, Yes, it's been signed for apparently for December twenty ninth at Starcade. But the question remains the condition of Piper. He's got a little bit over a month to get ready for that match.
Speaker 15: Wait a minute, he th.
Speaker 7: Natshville, Tennessee. If that's the press, you can do your trouble that.
Speaker 6: There's no rate tray, no sir, And yes, yes, the eyes on that man right there, rowdy, Roddy, Piper certainly has an uphill battle.
Speaker 5: And I'll guarantee you he'll crawl over broken glass and nails all the way.
Speaker 7: From here to Nashville. If it takes him a month with a bad hip or too bad, he take getting his hands on that man right there. Yeah, I'll tell you how. Yeah. When you lay it out to it, it is very simple.
Speaker 8: When you look at this scene unfold in front of us, the bottom line walls right at.
Speaker 7: Papa picked this fight. He went into the den of the nWo.
Speaker 8: He stood there, he made the climb up, the sign in his un that to the citreat, the decade, the empathy.
Speaker 7: On whatever you call it.
Speaker 24: The fight of all fights, The fight of all fights.
Speaker 7: Has been signed.
Speaker 5: Piper says he's been in this sport over twenty eight years. He's ot over six thousand fights. He started out at fifteen, fighting in the garage. Look at the intensity of that man's eyes right there. He's not thinking about anything from the past. All he's thinking about right now is to get his hands on a.
Speaker 7: High ho Hogan. Look at the eyes on Rowdy.
Speaker 15: Rowdy.
Speaker 7: Piper yellows they clean the ring here, and Piper makes his way back.
Speaker 1: He limbs up the aisle holding his jacket.
Speaker 2: Respect that we've voice had for Roddy and then he drops down to his knee even more so now yeah in the aisle, because you.
Speaker 8: Know what I mean, you have a pick a fight when you were a kid and go in a big gang and you want to hit it.
Speaker 7: And that's what was going on right here, and we've seen it. It's his five, it's his thing.
Speaker 8: It's between him and Ogan goes beyond the n W and w CW and de'skri weber Seine Boys.
Speaker 5: He's picking up speed, he's getting a little something in his step.
Speaker 6: And as much as respect as we have for Piper and the contract has now been signed, certainly we lose respect minute by minute, day by day for not only Hogan in the nWo, but.
Speaker 7: Now Eric Bischoff and the scene that they pulled.
Speaker 10: Here's the Wraps band wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's a Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn Seo and JP Sorrow.
Speaker 1: Tremendous piece of business.
Speaker 2: Oh it really was.
Speaker 1: It really was the Piper's best work.
Speaker 2: In some ways. It probably should have closed the show. Yeah you think so, you know, because it's such a hot angle that you probably could have done it after the stupid Battle Royal.
Speaker 1: Interesting choice to do it on pay per view and not on Nitro, and so many more people are watching. They replayed it in its entirety as mentioned the next night, so it wasn't like no one saw it, but I thought it was kind of cool.
Speaker 2: We're probably trying to get people to buy it. Probably was the key reason to buy the show. It's probably to get paid too, of course.
Speaker 1: Because he has the minimum pay per view dates and this is a way to get him on the show without having to convince him to work. So there he has Piper doing the classic limp up the aisleway and collapsing every so many steps and just keeps fighting through. It's just great stuff, it really is. So as we transition from that, we get a bit about Canada, meaning with the classic I can't wait to see what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow on Nitro and what's going to happen tomorrow on Nitro. Yep, there comes our Jacques from the Quebecer's with the Quebec flag pco of course, with the maple leafs. It is the Quebecers.
Speaker 1: It is the Quebecers known as the French Canadians at the time, WSW making a push to get more clearance in Canadian television markets and arenas. They even put Jacqurajau over Hulkogan in Montreal Ones with an Inside Cradle and a Faus match Insane ninety seven. The Colonel Robert Parker dressed like I don't know what he's dressed like. I don't know if that's I mean, it's like a Legionaire or something. He's saying, Viva la Quebec, Viva la Canada.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's very bizarre.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Bobby says. Colonel told me he's going to find a place to live in Quebec. I said where he's at the South. So there's heat. Sherry comes out leading the charge for the Harlem Heat. Booker t Fitton hurt somebody, as he says into the cameras, the flames go off. OG's fitt and hurt somebody. He says, Colonel, we're fitting to hit hurt you sucka Colonel, you don't know what you got into. Of course, Colonel Parker, being a Harlem Heat's original managers, now original manager. Now on the other side, that's true. Of course, there's tape on the bridge of the nose of Booker t in case you forgot what era of this is. Right, Tony says, who knows what's going to clear that nasal pass?
Speaker 19: Right?
Speaker 1: Tony says, who knows? What's the head for WCW at the end of this year and focused into ninetennety seven?
Speaker 2: What do you here?
Speaker 1: Ninety seven would be? Man, just think of all the things they're setting up, sting, what's happening on the other channel. God, what time to be alive and watching wrestling every week.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's it's a.
Speaker 15: You just.
Speaker 2: You know, people don't really understand, you know. You look at kind of today's stuff and you see like the the Triple H regime taking over, and it's exciting for those you know, because like, but it still is not. The business hasn't changed. It's the same thing, ye Like, at least to me, it feels the same as it did in like twenty ten, and.
Speaker 1: In ninety six and ninety seven it felt different, but it felt it was so different, like there was such a drastic change. Palpable, Yeah, yeah, I mean it was and it wasn't overnight, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was such a change in tone, a change in the delivery of the shows. And if you didn't watch prior to that, and you know, I'm not saying I watched, obviously, I didn't watch in eighty five. I wasn't there for the rock and wrestling connection, but I was there early enough to understand that what was that it needed to change yep. And you kind of sat there thinking it's never going to change, but then when it did, it was. It was addicting. It really was addicting television. That's it. That is the word.
Speaker 1: And Heenan says he's got a scoop the pipers in the back, refusing medical attention as a matter of fact, as Jock grabs the mind and Dusty's talking over him and pay some respect for the greatest country in the world, and Tony says, well, it's time to butcher the Canadian national anthem, and they do it.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: Booker ex on the booing crowd.
Speaker 2: And Heenan, you know, Heenan, it's awful, but he didn't defend them as he would do.
Speaker 7: They're proud of their country, yes they are. Dougan sings it doesn't says something to him. Yeah, but if they're proud of their country, they need to learn the words. Well, they're singing it in.
Speaker 2: In Quebec.
Speaker 7: Is that now a language? No? I meant everyone in Quebec is singing when they sing fin Lauren as well. Couldn't get himself out of that, one could intoe? No, he backed into a common that turned the wrong way and run into it and no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a thing to behold the French Canadians in the ring and those three guys issuing barbs. Sherry's voice is incredibly raspy. I mean, my god, know what.
Speaker 2: That could be. I mean we're talking, you know, God knows years of screaming and yelling at the top of her lungs. You know it's gonna it's gonna affect you.
Speaker 1: I don't heat versus French Canadians. Here at World War three, Shock and Booker get started. Dusty uh says, there's a lot of talking tonight, a lot of filibuster in Tony says what drives the NBA is eager and power plays. And he then says, there's so many guys in the end to be able with the same kind of ego. I don't see how they can coexist, and he would be right about that, and long math he would be right, yep, yep, Jock and Booker to lock up. Dusty said, you beat Hogan, you you start you If you beat Hogan, you can start to cease to exist nWo. So that's that's the big thing they're acting like. If Piper can beat Hogan then to be able to fall apart from there, Heenan says he's had the hog at the trough and broke it down. So Dusty understands, okay, oh, he says, yeah, Hogan is the hog at the trough headlog push off, tackle down goes Jacques u Jau, who keeps up and does a drop kick that levels Booker t who keeps up as well. Dusty said, everyone can relate to the trough line. Bobby doesn't object to that. This is this is a great example of like talking about the nWo over the match in its entirety, which you know, they said, a really hot angle. So I actually sometimes miss that. I actually sometimes miss announcers that can't get off what we just saw, even if there's something else in the ring.
Speaker 2: I hate when they think that it's important. That's important, I think, you know, I'm sorry, I hate to to to.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously it's it's these people's time to shine and get in the ring. But at the same time, not many people care about Harlem heat versus the French Canadian.
Speaker 1: Something's got to be going on on TV while they get over how substantial well I was, it might have to be your match.
Speaker 2: I agree, and I think I think that that. I think it's important. I think it it Also it was a huge.
Speaker 1: Part of the nWo be as successful as it was that they were always talking about it on commentary.
Speaker 2: But even wwe did it and the time, you know, I mean it was it was there were always there was always a through line. There wasn't It wasn't a segmented show as it is now where it's like you have your moment and then it's gone, like you you really don't talk about the important things. And I'm and you know what, the main event program for the next pay per view should always be talked about over matches, you know, it should always be talking to.
Speaker 1: These guys and they need to follow the story right then you have to you have to prioritize, not everybody on the card is equal. That's the name of the game, especially when you know there's this existential threat in the air. It's not like they're talking about a main event program without the component of a takeover. Like it's a takeover, right, it's all anyone's thinking about.
Speaker 2: Right, So, great stuff. And even but even then, I think that I think it's important to talk about the main event of the upcoming pay per view at any.
Speaker 1: Moment, even when the the principles aren't on the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it makes it subconsciously makes the audience feel like what they're watching is important or what the main program is is importantness, you know, And and that's that's a huge thing on a pedestal thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Double Whip Double areat Down, goes Chakrajeu Stevie with the one arm slam on show whipping a duck and Jock ra Joe hits a flying back elbow and Stevie Ray stumbles and PCO cuts him down with a closed line. Dusty says the traditional route the Piper took to come home that you know, he keeps trying to basically say, like, yeah, he's in WWFL those years, but he was in Crockett before that, and he's actually coming home here right right, heeps trying to make that point.
Speaker 2: He just kind of fails to do it.
Speaker 1: Stevie Ray comes in with the high backsuplex that dumbst PCO on his melon bicycle kick gets too for Stevie Ray. Dusty says, Holk cocin. Once upon a time came for that tradition. He just forgot who brought him to the dance. Whatever the fuck that means. Booker, he gets in. It's a snapmarre and a knee drop on Pco. We're told that Colonel Parker's on that. Then our recent edition at WCW Saturday Night had told us about being suited up for war, and that explains the thing.
Speaker 7: I never been for war.
Speaker 2: It's the get up.
Speaker 7: I'm not a warrior. I'm I just sit here and make it just what I do is I come out support things that maybe I support.
Speaker 1: Always a good prelude to a lapsed character.
Speaker 2: I just sit hereever you hear Booker t hotshots PCO. That is true, it is true, or I'm just sitting. I'm just sitting. Here's another one.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, you know you know heat is in coming at that point. Well, speaking of wedge show, comes Stevie Ray with a big elbow drop.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that mayor.
Speaker 1: Dusty's trying to remember his Abisco saying that Colonel Parker had legionaires, but he couldn't remember the name of the disease. He said he had the legion disease. Yes, Booker do The next kick levels PCO actually in the back of the neck that time. Tony says, we get a little bit of that time from Shravanni.
Speaker 2: Looks like a warm tag this TV Ray to keep. Definitely not a hot tag, definitely not so. PCO pokes the eyes.
Speaker 1: HiT's a slam. It's his an elbow drop. Book missus an elbow But does the spinner Rooney to a vertical base before that had a name and Harlem sidekick takes out PCO. So yeah, that was weird. It was like, it's not the move he did to just like, you know, celebrate having control of the match. It's something he did to recover from missing an elbow drop.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Dusty calls it the Harlem shuffle. So before it was the Spinner Rooney, it was the hot shuffle.
Speaker 2: Let's just start calling it that from now on, Jars, anytime we see that happen, it's the Harlem shuffle, yes, because he's definitely shuffling when he rolls around on the fucking take a shuffle to me round, yeap Chaquajou is supposed to low bridge, but Booker doesn't go over too well. But they hit the floor anyway, and Colonel Parker, with his long black boots, gets some big kicks in and he says, I don't like it here as it gets heated. At ringside, he's nervous again and helping caught in crossfire, Dusty says, Sherry's a beaten on that thing, which I guess means on Jacques Roujeau combo clothesline, and maybe he's maybe she's beaten Jacques Graujau off.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, Colonel Parker's probably beatn that thing, is what's happened.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Combo clothesline and backfoot sweep by the Canadians, very nicely done. Then Joqua Joe, with a whipping of a double boot, yangs down Booker t and slams Pco onto Booker, slamming his own partners.
Speaker 2: They used to do. Yeah, yeah, that's good. I always like that.
Speaker 1: It'd gets too double wit double hot shot by the Canadians PCO.
Speaker 2: With Coilette, Well, Carl Coilette, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, well pronounced PCO. An Irish whip. Book leaps into a schoolboy right over pco's leg. For one backup. PCO turns book absolutely inside out with a closed line. Booger T always ready to show up and do that inside out three sixty cellm lariat. Oh yeah if his specialties. Dusty says, Serenes have been heard in the back. Not sirens. He says, Serene Serenes. Yeah, they you'd say, Eileen, right. PCO goes to the middle rope and drops the leg while Booker T is trapped in a Boston crab. How about that combination offense by the Quebecers. Stevie then comes in and drops a leg to break up.
Speaker 2: The cover attempt. Well they are the Mounties after allac.
Speaker 1: To Stevie comes in, firing on Jacques Jeau Irish whip in a backdrop by Stevie Ray and another whip, and he gorilla presses and tosses Jacque Rejeau into PCO. Very nice one not one of the worst Tartlem meat matches. I'll say that even Stevie Ray looks kind of good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fine. It's you know, is nothing bad, nothing bad, nothing great, you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Docy dough and Pco is thrown into referee Scott Dickinson. So we have a rough bump. Booker tries the Harlem sidekick but lands crotch first on the top ropes like he used to do. Double team now on Stevie Ray by the Canadians, and Heenen says, where's Nick Patrick when you need him? Double stuff file driver by the Canadians on Stevie Ray and they load a table of all things under the ring. Dusty says, they came up with some plunder on their own. Yere and pcos grabbing the steps as well, the ring steps, loading those into the ring. What are they concocting? Trying to make a stage almost of sorts, as Dusty points out, they're making a he says, they're making a clubhouse.
Speaker 2: But they're doing.
Speaker 1: Is they put a table sandwich It's off on the corner. He can smell one. He says, where's coming from? So what they did is they put it.
Speaker 2: You know, I would, I I do. I would wish, I really wish. We like, you know, every now and again, you'd get you'd go to the commentary table and they'd be eating greatle me. So damn funny to see Dusty with the fucking sandwich and fries on his on the desk. Yeah, and fries and fries.
Speaker 1: They must have sent for people, you know, to bring them some stuff during the broadcast.
Speaker 2: I would think maybe not. I don't know, And I imagine you could. You can probably get a quick snack in, you know, like you can probably eat a slice of pizza during one of those backstage Jeane seconds. You go, yep, yeah.
Speaker 1: So what they do is they put the table on the top rope in the corner, and then they put the steps on the table and the climb on the PCO climbs on the steps that's on the table. I could have believe my eyes that someone was doing this in World A Championship Wrestling in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's such a like what the fuck PCO.
Speaker 1: Stock in trade. Man, he's been doing it for like thirty years, coming up with wacky shit to jump off of, and here it is and he does the front flip off the stairs that are on the table, but he misses the big splash and crashes to the canvas. Stevie gets up and kicks shot out of the ring. Dusty's loving this action. He loved that big, high risk flip.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then up to the top rope, Booker t hits the front flip leg drop the Harlem hangover.
Speaker 2: I think he loved, you know, I imagine Dusty loved you know, you know, big guys like you know, doing shit. They shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: The spectacle of just that. It was definitely a sally for sure. So Booker goes up hits the Harlem hangover flip leg drop, and that's good for the one to end the three Harlem Heat defeat the amazing French Canadians and nine minutes and fourteen seconds here at World War three. Forgot to mention the stip stated that if Harlem Heat was victorious, Sherry gets five minutes alone with Colonel Robert Parker. And does Sherry make the most out of this camera time?
Speaker 19: Or what?
Speaker 2: Can I listen to this? Okay, you gotta listen. First of all, Sherry's phenomenal, phenomenal, all right, you gotta again. Those who didn't live throughout the Sherry you know regime, you don't get it all right. You needed to see it when it was happening to really get it. Because she was a mix of the the the valet you love to hate, but also the valet you fucking loved, because she was.
Speaker 1: Also set an entertaining part of the show. She was a fucking she was hell on wheels. When you let her go off on a mail manager like this, she turns Parker around and slugs him, and.
Speaker 2: And but again, like the way she got involved the ship that she took. She was remarkable, absolutely remarkable. She soars that cross body and she sores. Listen to these people, Oh yeah, listen, listen to Dusty go fucking nuts over the ship.
Speaker 25: Rip his draws off, baby, yes, and knocked him out of his boots.
Speaker 17: Almost my goodness, that lady again again. Oh she's girded up too much. She's going all right out of here. I go get him down and I'm anna hide.
Speaker 7: I'm looking up at.
Speaker 2: The foot because he can see up her dress. She's climbing the rocks. Oh, come in, what a flying dude.
Speaker 3: This is crazy.
Speaker 7: And the total him off. She ain't do it, and she got five minutes. She's gonna go fine. Believe me, Colonel did nothing.
Speaker 25: She bade him from the start of the match, and she's after him right now said, oh what a big bars and girls playing.
Speaker 2: Oh my gods. He always comes back to station, doesn't he at.
Speaker 7: The end of the like he does.
Speaker 2: He's listening. He's always fucking you know, he's plugging the taglines, recharging like a rumba. I I I love when when.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's just funny, I don't.
Speaker 2: His reaction is so genuine, so joyous, and but it's it's funny to me that he's almost surprised that Cherry can do these things. He's reacting like it's the damnedest thing he's ever seen Sherry do. Right right, It's like she, I mean, are you're not familiar with her work over the last decade.
Speaker 1: She takes her shoes off and does it crossbody in that evening gown. From the top she covers half the ring. It's like the most awesome thing. You can't help it crack up. She's she's like, it's it's unbelievable. She is so fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's not like you know, you're you're you're you know attitude era, you know, uh, a cat fight that they would pull off like this was she fucking landed clothes lines, like fucking took him.
Speaker 1: Down, kind of played the seed there. I mean, what if you know, after Sable runs through Luna, Sable comes out on Raw Monday and hits the ring. Stop it goes off on her.
Speaker 2: Stop it you if they, I mean, that's you would have really got over. Can you imagine how fucking huge that would have been if Sherry came back.
Speaker 1: All pissed off that she's getting attention Sable Yep, yep, Barbie, Oh like it would have the crowd would have gone, fucking we see right here in this match, which she was still capable of doing in the ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how old was she at this point?
Speaker 1: Great question?
Speaker 2: Her forty? Maybe let me take a look.
Speaker 1: So awesome you got to watch this, man, It's like for such a nothing match, it's like totally forgotten great WCW moment here she is the best.
Speaker 2: I mean, you never fucking you didn't even think about it, You'd never even it was so just she's just.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Tony said this podcast is announcing gold, he said he had during the course of the segment. He said he had to put on pause on his hem when he was watching it back because he was laughing so hard at Dusty's commentary and loved it so much rewatching it, and I thought they did a great job and that Bobby and Dusty were spectacular in this, and I would have to agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just tremendous stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 1: Really, really really is mussie here Sherry would have been. I'm she wasn't even forty yet, that's insane. She looks well north of forty.
Speaker 2: She was thirty eight. Unreal, she was wait a minute, yeah, she was thirty eight years old.
Speaker 1: She's taking flight.
Speaker 2: He was born in ninth born in nineteen fifty eight. She died before she was fifty. Great dark set on her.
Speaker 1: I'm so yeah, that was such a loss, man, because she just she just went back to the trailer park and got hooked on drugs and just died. It was like the saddest It's like she was the last person in the business that deserved that ending, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unbelievable, and she was so fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: Tony also said that you know you were talking about he didn't being afraid of his neck when Sherry was out there. That's when he got really concerned, because she would do something so fucking nuts that he was worried she would end up hitting the announced team, jumping on the table, picking up a chair, dropping something crazy, hurting them. He said, Bobby was scared to death of her, which is even more tremendous.
Speaker 2: I'm glad she got in the Hall of Fame before she died. Yeah, me too. That's kind of crucial Sherry. But just I mean, imagine her coming back if she had just if she had been able to come back. I see the raw after wrestling he fourteen. You know, she comes out of the crowd and tackles tackles her because she wasn't doing anything anyway after that, Like she come on, Yeah, between something, I don't know where she was between ninety seven and uh, I guess she went to itw Mid South.
Speaker 1: I invite you to consider something else. Sherry returns and attacks Sable, and later on that show, Savage returns. Oh do we have a long term story possibility with those two linking back up for a reign of terror?
Speaker 2: I think we do.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think a Steve, Austin and Sable versus Randy Savage and Sherry mixtag could about a fucking sensation.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm telling you, Savage. If Savage ended up being, oh, you know, the first the first opponent for Austin, that would have been monumental, Absolutely monumental.
Speaker 1: I've never even thought of that match. I know that that's the most for that's the most tantalizing part of it is I'm sitting here picturing things I've never pictured before. I've never once thought about that.
Speaker 2: You know, I always think of Flair Hogan, I mean Flair Hogan, Austin Hogan, but I never thought of Austin Savage. And that's a fucking money match, and.
Speaker 1: His money is Austin Hogan would be When you consider the personality match and the style match, the Savage stuff would have been thirty times better. I mean, he'd have worked his ass In terms of match quality, Yes, in terms of money, it obviously is Hogan because they're the they're the two.
Speaker 2: Even the promos promos would have been better with Savage, oh totally totally, and Savage coming out with like Vince behind him, like a hired gun like he brings him back to try to stop Steve Austin, right, you know, and and and they can play up the whole the whole thing, like you know, the fact that that that savage left him in ninety four and oh my god, now I gotta think about this now, I have to picture it.
Speaker 1: I have to consider it. I have to accept it, right, you have.
Speaker 2: To accept the fact that it never never happened and never would happen.
Speaker 1: Well, the Sherry Colonel Parker match ends be a count out in a minute thirty. It is kind of funny that as much of a tail kicking as Colonel Parker is taking, he still bothers to kick out of the crossbody. That is hilarious.
Speaker 2: I do understand why Dusty laughs at that, because why does he care about taking the one two three?
Speaker 18: Like?
Speaker 1: That's hilarious?
Speaker 2: I know, Like, what what is it? What is it going to do? This fight prolonged right right? Like, all you gotta do is lose and out there exactly. Instead, you're gonna let her fucking beat on you some morning. He's running away from her, but he's kicking out when she pins him. Oh man, that's idiotic pride right there. Exactly. Maybe his pants actually ship my pants watching this. Yeah, so great.
Speaker 1: It was absolutely amazing, such a hidden gem. No one even thinks about this moment, but it's up there. So anyway, he and and they reset, and he says, if Piper's having hip surgery, that's gonna take a long time. But if the fight was tonight, he's convinced that Piper would be ready. He'd screw the leg on. He's nuts. So they're kind of like walking this fine line between like giving us reason to think the match might still not happen, but screaming at us, trust this, it'll still happen. Even though that was a heavy duty angle, So that's always kind of awkward. But Tony comments how Piper seemed surprised that Hogan and the NBO knew about his hip injury, and Dusty says, the on the most powerful men in the indutry, you're gonna find stuff up like that out and no matter what shape Piper's in, tradition will drag him out.
Speaker 2: To the ring that night.
Speaker 1: In the nWo, it's got a whooping coming. You see people moving the steps around behind Bobby the brain heenan as they're talking. Yeah, they even nudge.
Speaker 2: His chair and he actually whips his head around all pissed. Oh, he's fucking god horrified.
Speaker 1: They're setting up the what are they setting up the.
Speaker 2: Something?
Speaker 1: They're setting up something for the next match or for the for the kit for the World War three Battle Royal. They do a star Ka ninety six ad with an l F in it and no hint of who's in the wrestling matches.
Speaker 3: I know, and this ain't your typical forman funny holiday session.
Speaker 7: A tree is dumb, the turkey is.
Speaker 3: Crash, and the fruitcake.
Speaker 7: Get this on the biggest stars the World Championship Wrestling. What's coming up for one?
Speaker 11: He's w c W Star Cave Sunday, December twenty ninth, live and only on pay per view.
Speaker 7: Call your cab older satellite company to order.
Speaker 1: Now put me back there with that voice. Oh, star Kate in a Christmas ornament, the logo, Yes, yep. They just don't they don't get it. They don't get it. They don't get what it was that was magic about it. So Jeane's backstage, all right.
Speaker 2: They don't realize that it wasn't about the it wasn't about the high tech, It wasn't about the slick editing and the and the the graphics and whatever.
Speaker 1: It was the tone, it was the right.
Speaker 2: It was the tone. It was the simplicity. It was the idea that they were you know they they were they we're blending the holidays with restless beautiful, you know, like they were. There was a marriage there, and it made it feel because because you know, if they're if they're promoting whatever I mean not not everything comes in December anymore. No, they don't always have shows in December, but you know, if they're doing a show, there's never that kind of synergy. You know, they want to keep it away from being holiday themed, and it's like you shouldn't do that. The holidays make these shows because because when the time comes around, you look forward to that. It's why a Halloween Havoc is important, or any show that that happens in October should be should have some connection to Halloweens. Absolutely. The Thanksgiving Eve or Thanksgiving Night tradition of of Survivor series is huge, huge, and and and you know, yeah, it's just it makes you look forward to both things. It reminds you. It's like you can look forward to these events, not only because they're coming up, but also because they are happening around this magical time of years.
Speaker 1: It reminds you that it's coming.
Speaker 2: And that's the same thing, like you have a great American Bash in July. Like that works. It makes sense, you know, because it's it's about fourth of July. I have it.
Speaker 1: It was the same way I see a Halloween have it ad in September. I'm like, fuck, yeah, Halloween's yeah. It's the least they can do is seasonally appropriate marketing, you know, It's the least.
Speaker 2: I never I didn't never understood why they thought it just they need to stop doing that. I know why they didn't. Why why they decided, you know what, we don't want to be associated with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It's weird. Is they still ran you know, It's not like they gave the guys the day off so they could write. Right, I'm back on the hotline, Jean says.
Speaker 11: Engage, I'm back on a hotline and man or man alive. If you haven't caught it on the internet in one of the websites, it is the talk of the industry. Yes, indeed, ladies and gentlemen, apparently it's rumored allegedly that another superstar, yet another superstar, will be coming to World Championship Wrestling in the very near future. Right now, on the WCW hot Line on option number one, Mark Madden, Jeff Katz and myself will talk about it. Give us a call at one nine hundred nine to nine ninety nine hundred. That's one nine hundred nine on nine ninety nine hundred.
Speaker 2: Indeed it was who was it supposed to be? Perfect? I'm pretty sure that's who they're talking about. Okay, Lex Luger.
Speaker 1: Steps in, Sting hands you a bat. It's hard to make anything of it. It's frustrating for me and for the wrestlers to try to interpret what Sting is doing. Where Steiner? Where's he coming from? As close as I've been to the Stinger, I don't know what to make of all this. He says, what he's been doing, it just reeks of the nWo. Yeah, or says I hope I'm not right about that. And black and white he's wearing all that coming out of the crowd. I don't want to believe it, but I waited for months to get any word from him, and he's a man of no words right now, so he does not know what to make of it. Geene, good promo here from Lex, kind of establishing that.
Speaker 2: And Gene gives us a real nice little button to tie this whole thing up.
Speaker 11: This man is either with the nWo or he's wrestling's Marcel Marceaul.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it is a pantomime. He's in the right business. Maybe references Gane, like was Medusa pulling a Marcel Marceau too?
Speaker 2: Back then?
Speaker 1: Jean says, Luger's been putting guys left and right, three hundred pounders in the torture rack. That was the big thing back then. With Luger, he's just racking fat guys, and so they think therefore he's the favorite to win it all on the Battle Royal and Nucas. I don't know about that. I mean, anything can happened sixty men, he says. I do have a good feeling, very very strong right now. Chance to bestow him honor take some tarnish off what's happening at WCW. I want that shot at Hogan really bad, and I'm ready, he says. But he did promo from Lex, all things considered. Usually he veers off into the you know you can't believe it. Boy, he says, cringeness, but he kind of keeps it straight and narrow here. He was good foiled in the nWo.
Speaker 2: He just was. They and I've said it for years. I've said it for years now. They they built up Luger amazingly, Yeah, amazingly. They just had him win. He just kept winning on Nitro. It's a simple thing, so simple. It's like, you have a guy, you bring him out, he fucking wins. Is the guy with the wind at his back that got to get behind They didn't necessarily like I don't recall him being in a lot of a storylines up until around now in the end of the year. But you know, after i'd say, you know, I guess say once the nWo started, he didn't really I don't. I can't think of any major like what was he doing.
Speaker 1: He wasn't doing much in ninety six, So that, in a weird way, that's the best thing could have happened to him. I don't know if that was by design or if it was just the way that that it ended up, but it worked great in that he was able to just just fucking beat jobbers or or or you know, lower lower tier wrestlers and.
Speaker 2: Just get over because he's he's winning. It's so simple, Yes, it absolutely is, and he's you don't, Yeah, you don't need to have a guy do a bunch of different like just have him win, have him win every week, watch him get over.
Speaker 1: Uh well, not to be and not not tonight at least, Oh my god, have mercy. The Psychosis music.
Speaker 2: Man kind of sounds like the kinds sounds like the theme for the Larryus Andrews show. Really in a way. Yeah, it's got a little bit of that vibe.
Speaker 1: And uh, here comes Malinko puns pun Ton.
Speaker 2: Tom Pun definitely definitely pun.
Speaker 1: Malanko over Psychosis. Now for the Cruiserway title. Dean of course with a thousand on his trunks and goes to the waistlock. Early Dusty says, it's the first time these two have competed in the ring, andfully it was the last time because this one did not hit. This one did not know I did not advised formatting of this matchup.
Speaker 2: Dusty. Uh he talks about both Psychosis and Malanka, which you know that. I mean, he ain'ts gonna chime.
Speaker 8: In the bottom line with this young man right here, Psychosis, he has opportunity to knock it on his dough.
Speaker 7: Dean Malinko knows more holes.
Speaker 8: Than anybody in the industry ever, period brain Ever, then he says he's a man of a thousand holes.
Speaker 7: I did not say it. I don't believe that he, I mean knows five thousand holes. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't think there are five thousand holes in the wrestling.
Speaker 7: Actually, well he can come up with four thousand more, I'll guarantee you.
Speaker 1: And then he says Psychosis has hair like Peg Bundy.
Speaker 2: It does tremendous, which he does as dimly didn't know, especially then with the horn mask. I really it's like its psychotic? Is really what? He's a lot? Really?
Speaker 10: Is?
Speaker 2: I mean you're looking at a lot here? Is this a parade float? Or is this a wrestler? Yeah? Like I mean, is this a is this like a like a like an eighties glam rocker or is it a fucking you know, clown wearing a mask?
Speaker 18: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck's going on here?
Speaker 1: Malinko works a like grape Vine. In this cruiserweight match lock up to the waistlock, Regal had gone the time limit with Psychosis. They mentioned on w'sw Saturday Night, and they predicted that eventually Dean Malinko would capture the WSW television title or they say Psychosis will something like that. Regal had defeated Dean Malinko over the TV belt, so Dean actually went up to TV title contention and then came down in wait to rewin the cruise ofweight belt. There's a drop toe hold here by Malenko, who's posting the ankle with a bit of a grapevine. Then switches to the bow and arrow and rolls Psychosis over with his arms track in a pinning combination for two, gets these high flyers and he grounds them. Tony points out, which certainly Dean's role, but it just it wasn't working here.
Speaker 2: I wrote that this match is boring as hell.
Speaker 1: It really is. And you know, I'm not a huge it never was a huge Psychosis fan, but I generally speaking, given the way that Dean would work with the other Cruiser.
Speaker 2: Weights, I figured this would have been way better for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not everybody is ready to be that foil to the style Deane has. You know what it works like with Ray, it works, but not every every high flyer is capable of getting in and out of their flying moves the way you have to when you're wrestling a guy like Malenko. So they exchange arm drags and then to the wrist lock. Scosis rolls through, grabs his own and trips Malenko, who keeps right back up, goes right back to work on the arm Ringer and scos kicks off. Both go to the canvas and try to keep up simultaneously absolute silence. As Dusty guarantees, there have been some tape sessions going on with Dean Malinko ahead of this one. Dem Milenko has to come back later, along with many others. So that was always an underplayed part of World War Three. These guys all had matches ahead of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's they don't play up how that affects you in about in the least, some of these guys should be.
Speaker 1: Protesting the fact that they got to work, so you know what I mean. It should be talked about endlessly. No one should be picked to win the World War three Battle Royal if they had a match earlier in the night. Just defies logic. But here we have Heenan beating the drum for Malenko. Maybe that's why. But they don't have a big enough roster. They don't offer sixty guys. No, they got it all hands on deck, especially if Hogan's.
Speaker 2: Not kind of going there. He's not gonna liey fucking Mikeino's in there. Fuck absolutely maybe I mean not only not only just Hogan, but like you have like you don't get half the nWo guys in there.
Speaker 1: No, you don't. And as mentioned in some of the reporting it, there's a point in time where plans were drawn up to not even have any front buddy in the nWo in this Battle Royal, let alone have the Giant win it. So clearly things in flux. Maybe that's why Dean Malenko had kept such a methodical pace earlier in the show against cec Chosis, because he was trying to preserve his energy for the Battle Royal. Maybe maybe Mico drops to a leg lace, going to work on those holes and crowd finding ways to entertain themselves as both lay there, literally lay on the man leg lock for several minutes. To the knucklelock they go and Malinko backflips and picks the leg, comes up with a half grab while also grabbing the arm of Sycosis, then sticks the knee into the back while pulling, torturing Cecosis back up. Psychosis grabs a side headlog push off tackle cover for one back up sidestep and Dean Malenko drops down and he kicks the back of the leg of Psychosis as he's hitting the ropes, and when he does that, you take the feeding out. Sircosis flies through the ropes to the floor, but he comes up with the spinning heelkick and drop to kick that sends Dean Malinko to the outside. Socosis then kind of weird, kind of weird whole thing there, like it just no sells the move. Yeah, yeah, he pretty much.
Speaker 2: Does leco dead and it's like, this is weird covers from it. What are you doing? Yeah? What are you doing?
Speaker 19: Man?
Speaker 1: He's trying to get to the spot, reclimbs the ropes and tries to dive, and he's in such a rush that Sycosis almost slips off the top and ends his life. And he comes crashing down uncontrollably, having not launched his as designed, and hits the railing. He's in such a rush, I wrote to get people to care.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna work. Yeah, yeah, not. Now you know what you can't rush to get people to care. They're either gonna at this point, they're either gonna care or they don't. And guess what psychosis they don't.
Speaker 1: Back in a snap mare and an elbow dropping leg scissors, Tony notes Sting is not there during the Hogan contract signing, so still not sure what to read into that. Yeah, Malenko springs off the middle rope and drops a leg on tocosis for two. Dean Malinko incidentally definitely a wrestler who adjusts his knee pad. Oh absolutely, not all of them do it, but man, no one does it more than Dean Malenko.
Speaker 2: You got it. Listen, all right, he knows exactly where he needs every piece of clothing for support on his body. Yep, exactly, So he is not he's not gonna He's not gonna fuck around, all right, if if the if the knee pad is even a centimeter below where it should be, he is going to adjust.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you agree, because I noticed that I thought that, Yes, this is quintessential body slamming a half crab by Malanko stacks him high with his knee in the back of the coasts.
Speaker 2: His head and and uh, Dusty lets us know where the pain lies in they modified half crab.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all your ribs exposed?
Speaker 2: Excuse me tell me something I don't the ri are you talking about?
Speaker 7: Uh uh uh?
Speaker 2: A psychosisis rib You're talking about the ribs on your plate that are all exposed and.
Speaker 8: You pull it on all your hamhocks and that a thing. I guarantee you this is a hurting situation.
Speaker 2: Ribs and hamhowks. What's a ham hog? I don't think you and I have one?
Speaker 7: Well, it's it's like a gizzard. No, it's like a thigh. Why not.
Speaker 2: Wonder to well we know where why not?
Speaker 1: You know where Dusty's mind is at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, listen, he's uh, he's gonna he's got a reservation. The barbecue plays down the street from from the scope.
Speaker 1: And I'm pretty sure that Bobby he didn't called psychosis psoriasis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another luta door. Yeah, platosis viano damien helotope.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 2: Back up on the web. Dem Lincoln with double under hooks. He lifts and power bombs, Yes he does.
Speaker 1: That's very nice. Power bombs up under hooks and that's a perfect set of for the clover if he locks it up crowd waking up just a bit. As dem Milinko steps over and Sikosa scrambles for the ropes, Michael works him over in the corner. Randy Ederson actually gets Dean to back off Ramona, and then Dean drop kicks the knee or on his hawk brain corrects him and says, no, it's his ham Tony. Tony says, it's the ham that's the thigh. The hawk connects. Forget about it, so deem Michael drops an needle leg Heenan says, people boo Dean Milco. He does nothing illegal in that ring. He doesn't break any rules, so I don't know why they're booing the guy. Tony says, he isn't a friendly person, just comes in and tries to win matches, and that's it.
Speaker 2: God forbid it.
Speaker 1: He's so funny to watch the steam Malanco and then to hear people observe that Dean Milanko is actually one of the most deeply unseerious wrestlers to ever occupy a locker room. A constant, clown dry sense of humor you've ever heard just can't picture it to the floor in Demonlanco.
Speaker 2: No, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't picture him smile, Lef. I know he just seems so good at coming off. Is like drawl and uninspired, you know, in a way that you can't picture him.
Speaker 2: That be just a gimmis.
Speaker 1: It's just so focused, so focused, absolutely is. But in the back, I'm sure he's always got his cock out and like trying to tap people in the head with it. So the floor and Malnka rains down an elbow in the bad wheel, Dusty says, Dean milnco has got knowledge of when to put a guy away. It's a scosis is limping like crazy on the floor back up in Dean milnkols.
Speaker 2: He still with the company. Malnko is.
Speaker 1: Parkinson's I really do.
Speaker 2: That's really bad. Wow, that's awful. I when did you? When did the WV question?
Speaker 1: I think as soon as a w started, I think he was on the market.
Speaker 2: I only mentioned because it's kind of interesting to me that he hasn't been in a w W game in decades. It seems that's a good point.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I can't even excited when he came in in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, I thought I thought he was going to be a fucking world title You're serious.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I thought he I loved him so much. I thought he was such a fucking beast. I wanted him like I always wanted him to get up to that level I thought. I thought a program with him and Steve Austin would have been absolutely amazing. Really, I never saw him as being so small. I never realized how small he was because he always was because you can just fucking go and he.
Speaker 1: Could hang with you know, heavyweights in WW. Yeah, we just mentioned how he wrestled for the TV title before this.
Speaker 2: I really thought he was I was so bummed when they made him such a clown because I'm like, this is Dean Malenko. This guy was a just He's just a fucking machine out there, and I just it was. It was a bummer. I was really bummed the beast.
Speaker 1: He said that, Like I can picture it. Austin boots him in the gun and goes for the stunner, and Malinko counters it with like a flying arm bar, Like he's got right some counter to the stunner.
Speaker 2: He would know how to do it, and he'd make it look fantastic. But they just fucking I'm even close to trying to do that. No, Scottie too haughty. Instead, it's like they only had faith, right, they only had faith in Ben Wah and Eddie Gerrera. Yeah, and how and look at that, and who's the one who's alive to.
Speaker 1: The extent they even did, it took a while on those two as well, right, Yeah, they get Ben wat strong push in two thousand wrestling Rock and stuff that this summer. Eddie busted his elbow right away, so it's hard to tell where they would have brought him. But you know, they didn't get around to actually making Eddie a thing until like three oh four, you know, so a thing a single star. So uh, Secosa is limping like crazy on the floor is mentioned. Minko drives his shoulders into the knee whip out of the corner, up for the monkey flip, but Secosas puts some on the ropes and Dean Milinko pulls up over with the feet under the arms. You know whatever that is the Japanese rolling crotch hole thing. Uh, rolling first cradle not a crotch hole. I don't where I get that from baseball slide missed Secosas with a pump pedal backbreaker on the outside. He goes up top and Sores does secosas with a corkscrew. Planchia almost lands on the apron as a matter of fact, as he's on his way down back. Then Secosis comes off the rope with the biguillotine lake drop for two.
Speaker 2: So the last time, the last time deem Malanca was in a fucking video game was SmackDown. Just bring it insane, it's insane. He's not going to be in the game anytime soon, as long as he's an agent.
Speaker 16: No.
Speaker 7: Bike.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't understand why he was not in all the games while he was a fucking agent, Like, they have so many people who are backstage people in the games as long as they're there, Like, what's the deal? Great question, He should have been in every fucking game. Agreed, there's some wall there for what it is.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 1: So ss gets two with the leg drop.
Speaker 2: Unless he didn't want to give his likeness away, maybe that's the case. I doubt that. I doubt it too.
Speaker 1: Drop kicks like cone to the corner and then Milca leaps over the buckles and Secosis runs into them. Milaca tries to climb the rope, but he gets crotched and Dussy says he's drough.
Speaker 2: Is at daddy, you fucking Drowsychosis climbs and snaps off a lovely superherokinna for two on Malinko.
Speaker 1: Sycosis's hair is really something else over those bullhorns on the mask. I noticed that at this particular point he's coming up frizzy from some of this high risk offense. And then he lifts Michael for suplex, but Malinko counters with an inside cradle for two and Dusty says he could have been a cruiser weight two and Tony doubts that. He then says, yeah, but your parents were to let you wrestle it six months qualified as a cruiserweighted six months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Sachosis charges with a Liger Coppo kick and scores with that. He then tries a tombstone, but no Malinko reverses, but no Sycosis reverses as well. Malenko reverses again. They're going back and forth with tombstone threats. Finally Malenko gets the upper hand plants him and of course, as we mentioned, a cruiserweight tombstone is this nineteen ninety five, ninety six as it gets and oh yeah that, oh yeah, it gets two Whipped to the corner, Milancho charges into the Buddha Ciccosas leaps over Dean Lilnko's back to secosas for a school boy ATMP, but that allows Dean Malnco to go up into the forementioned Japanese rolling overs cradle. You get the one, two, and the three in fourteen minutes and thirty three seconds, way too long. Dean Malenko defeats for sure, what a I mean awful to retain that cruise slides out efficiently, titles handed to him, and Linko's job is done. He got the fuck out of there, and we hear thenwo music. It's triangle match time for the tag team titles, and.
Speaker 2: Here's here we go.
Speaker 1: Scott Hall steps out, tosses the toothpick. He's in all red and they got the titles, the right WCW World Tag belts, by the way, the ones we need. Yeah, a little cutout square on the top, perfect belts, So great, so great. Match has his in his hand on around his waist and Tony apologizes that they were for walking out during Monday nightro as he did when the Outsiders were running rampant. But he's not going to stand by, Tony says, and let these two guys push him around. So the announcers are taking no chances at all. Peep the classic outsider shirt, that one with the big photo portrait logo on the front. Yep, I mean that one will say nineties forever, oh yes, oh yes, and a big come back. And because it looks like because it looks like a shirt that someone made in their fucking garage. You know, it doesn't look like a real shirt. It looks so kind of because it's got that it's got font that someone who thought they were being cool would put on. Yes, you know, it's not like professional looking font in. The ad campaign for this shirt had plenty of cool as well.
Speaker 15: The following announcement has been paid for by the New World Order.
Speaker 7: Son is awareless their outside of it. The t shirts wear the shirt backwards.
Speaker 2: Twenty bucks seats or two for forty if you buy a million of them, it's only twenty million dollars, sir.
Speaker 15: The preceding announcement has been paid for by the New World Order.
Speaker 1: Buy the shirt, remember that, buy a shirt, but I do like one for twenty two for forty that's great. Yes, yes, so there they come h Nasty Boys out has tape on his head. They charged the ring and r underway for the tag belts at the Outsiders versus the Nasty Boys versus the Faces of Fear of Mainging the Barbarian here in a triangle tag which means what three wrestlers, No, two wrestlers in the ring at once, one whole team on the apron and you just tag whoever you want and it's pretty stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the rules. I thought it was actually three in the ring, though, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know, no, because there's that moment where they tag National Hall at the same time and they both have to come in and fight each other because they're both on the ape whatever. So SAgs it's right and Nash goes up and over over the right hand knobs is all over Scott Hall again. It's just real chaos seeming to rain in this matchup. Fists are absolutely flying in discriminately.
Speaker 19: Well.
Speaker 1: The music is still playing snubbed by the nWo where the Nasty Boys were told on commentary and again I remember thinking they would actually join up and then said the patch on the side of Brian Nobb's head.
Speaker 2: His brain donor. That's what it means.
Speaker 1: Make a Barbarian step out with Jimmy Hart who is the manager, and they meet the outsiders in the Isleway and have a big brawl. Everybody's on Holland Nash. The Nasty say they wanted to be with both w CW and the nWo, but got thrown out of consideration really from both.
Speaker 2: Nobody nobody right, nobody wants them to hit part of it. So really, what are they fucking free agents?
Speaker 1: Is that what they said?
Speaker 2: Backing around? I got no no contract with either fucking organization. Gratis non gratta whatever. How do you feel? You know, Barbarian is always thought of being in the powers of pain, right, that's what everyone kind of equates. But he and Mang were teamed together about the same amount of time. Absolute, Yeah, I think that's but they all it's always fucking you know, the feces of fear is uh, you know, never like you think of Barbarian as being powers of pain more. I don't know, I don't. I don't think of as much.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Yeah, I actually think this is like kind of him reduced down to his essence in this phases of fear, right, right, the Powers of Pain had it was all wrapped up in like the phony Road Warriors road you know, paint. It was just like their effective team. But it was kind of like just a ripoff thing.
Speaker 2: It was just derivative, right, I mean literally more so than Demolition. More so I always think, and I when when when you had Demolition, you know, in at the same time as Powers of Pain, It's like, well, wait a minute, right, Like Powers of Pain have the exact same fucking haircuts, right.
Speaker 1: That that's what really did it is they had the mohawks.
Speaker 2: Right, and and you know obviously Demolition had the face paint and spikes, but that's it. It's only how face paint and spikes. Other than that, the Powers of Pain much more Road Warriors than Demolish Greed there for sure.
Speaker 1: So the tonguans and knobs are just throwing like crazy and the Barbarian barges knobs to the canvas on the charge hull a nash out of the fray at Ringside. Early on, they're not stepping in the middle of this, Dusty points out. A skeleton on Jimmy Hart's arm is glowing. That's innovation, Dusty says. He likes the outfit nasties, uh do his shoulder tackle down goes Barbarian for it two called Barbarian ball bearing. I don't know who called him ball bearing, somebody did. I wrote it down. Knobs, missus nelbow dropping, the faces of fear just both go nuts on the guys. Kind of awesome. Actually, how they would just start winging these windmill punches.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they gotta do something to make themselves stand out, honestly. And there's meng throwing, if there's if there's this heat going on between the nasties and and the outsiders, you know, like, well, where are we fucking fix exactly? The guys on us mang throwing knees and Brian Knobbs is fighting for his life in there. It looks like Nash laughing his ass off. He pantomimes like he's taking a drag off a cigarette and enjoying this whole thing playing out.
Speaker 1: Megan Knobs mixing it up. Men kills Knobs with hilariot and Knobs makes a hilarious face like he did not see that coming.
Speaker 2: U probably didn't, Probably didn't.
Speaker 1: Nash then blind tags in off Meng and goes to work on Knobs with knees in the corner and comes Scott Hall, throwing punches as only he can. I mean, we got to pay tribute to the Scott Hall punches.
Speaker 2: Nothing, the the the wide swing snap punches are fent yep, it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Fantastic and he definitely brought it to w CW. He messes a bit with Ming two to Scott Hall. Ming comes in and chops him and knocks him down and Knobs is calling out Nash and Nash tags Meng. Nash then sends Nobs into the corner with the back elbow on the charge. Nash then tags Mang stumbling backwards. It's kind of weird, It's kind of disjointed. It's like it's I I say, it's very sloppy.
Speaker 2: And I think you're right that these personal issues kind of took precedence over the rest of the of the thing and and it affected the match negatively.
Speaker 1: Cohesais guys just you know, right, because because you got two, you get four guys who are more preoccupied with their own shit then, you know, and then you got two guys that are just trying to have a fucking match, and they're trying to swallow up camera time the fear with.
Speaker 2: A double team. Yeah we get.
Speaker 1: Tony brings up the the personal issue is between the nasties and he says, I worked down the faces of fear in the Outso so there you go. I don't understand, but anyway, and there's something.
Speaker 7: Personal going on here. You kidding me with Kevin Nash and Jerry Sacks.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: The personal stems back from the chair that SAgs got in the head. It is last Monday at night, Troup, we went to the hospital short.
Speaker 1: It, I mean that was a shoot though. Yeah, so blind tag by Holly comes in slugging on Barbarian. You want some Hall shouting. Barb grabs the throat and muscles Haul in the corner and an Irish whipon Hall hits in the barge lands and Hall is shoved down to the bat. Barbarian then slams Scott Hall, and Tag's mang who comes in and drops him with a chop stomps the crotch as well. Dusty calls at an early Christmas present for Scott Hall. There he goes Scott, although it comes back by poking the eyes and tags Knobs, who comes in lunging SAgs is in and goes soaring over to the corner, just jumping at his target and hanging out a bit with the ref and they're throwing at each other, getting serious in there, six way clubbing right here, Dusty declares at.
Speaker 2: World War One. I believe he also follows up.
Speaker 8: With that's the greatest clubber in the game right there.
Speaker 7: The masters of the clubbers.
Speaker 2: Are the club masters of the take an ecstasy. I forget.
Speaker 1: Jerry SAgs is Dusty's brother in law, so he's uh lit extra animated to put him over. Yeah, And then Tony.
Speaker 2: Says, imagine, I mean, what can you imagine? Like like, now your brother in law is a nasty boy, that fucking haircut and no teeth and.
Speaker 1: Faber's sister, oh and his.
Speaker 2: Mom, and how happy that guy was right uh um Ringer's roost, Like he was so excited to introduce us to them. We would mark out for Jerry Sagg's sister and I'm like, I just want to eat. Hey, hey, I just want to eat. What's up? Look?
Speaker 1: I found Look who's here? Okay, yeah I got this. I got this this BLT wrap here I'm working on.
Speaker 2: I know, Yeah, I'm looking at my food right now. But who you got over here? Oh? It's the SAgs, the SAgs fan SAgs. SAgs is great, George Washington Motor Lodge in mind if I like, ignore you and eat real so I can go leave as fast as possible as these group in one of those never ending things like it just Oh, I honestly, I almost felt like we're gonna be kiddeaed for sure. You started looking for the exits, start casing the joint immediately, Gary harding the place.
Speaker 1: So as these group brawls are breaking out, Tony says, it's almost like a school, almost like a scrum, and Dusty says, what name did you call me? SAgs comes in and pile drives Barbarian because fuck it. As Dusty clarifies the rules and Tony mocks him for not know going fifteen minutes in that he doesn't actually know how you win a triangle match in Wcwright. SAgs then tags Nash and Nash goes after him. When he turns his back on him, Barbarian comes in. Tony references again the chair shot like you just played from Nitro. Barbarian sends Nash to the corner. It's a boot up and he cuts him down with that falling lariat does Kevin Nash. He covers the for two as Men breaks up the cover nasties and sting in Piper. Those were the ones that were on their own, not nWo or wwfiliated forgot to tuck DDP in there as well. Nash lifts and dumps Barbarian with a sidewalk slam, leading to another save by Meng on the cover at tack to Scott Hall, who comes right in and held open to the hits a right hand to the held open gut to the corner. Hall hits a close line and hard rights to the corner. Barbarian now chopping away as Nash nails Barbarian from the apron, Men comes in and backsup Lexis Scott Hall for a two count. Confusion reigns because Men and Barbarian had both been tagged and they thought they had to face off against each other, and instead of just doing that, instead of having to wrestle each other, Meng just tags knobs and avoids the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Later.
Speaker 1: However, what Hall and Nash find themselves in a similar predicament The rest of the field is smart. They drop down from the apron, so they can't yeah tag their way out of having to fight each other. But then, of course the outsiders outsmart the whole thing not to jump front run this and we'll explain why and how in a minute. So there's a lock up. They grunt and grown Knobs runs Barbarian into the corner. SAgs come in and they double team Barbarian, the greatest clubren in the game. Like you said, SAgs drops a leg to the crotch of Barbarian and Knobs splashes the leg.
Speaker 2: It's just so messy, it's sloppy, it's you know, it's it's like it's like almost in a way, halland Nash dead weight to the entire match.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you know, yeah, they kind of they kind of threw the vibes off, you know. It's like, yeah, it's almost like everyone's more paranoid of being outshined by the outsiders than they are having a match, right, all blind sides, Knobs tag gets an works over the ankle of it. Dusty decides to go in this whole thing about how the task Master has a plan for the World War three Battle Royal. He all of a sudden starts emphasizing Kevin Sullivan, his old buddy from Florida, and he said he forgot to mention it earlier. He wanted to say it.
Speaker 2: He then says, well, good, now you can throw it out now you said it.
Speaker 1: So Hall gets dropped. He tags in. Nash tagged him Meng as well, who charges in headlong and they just are throwing in close quarters. You got to see this battle between Kevin Nash and Meng Man.
Speaker 2: No one's giving an inch.
Speaker 1: Whipped to the corner and Nash kills Meng with a charging clothes line, a body slam and an elbow drop, but that misses and Knobs gets blind tag Dan. Gotta love how long Knobs growls before doing anything in the wrestling ring. Yep, minutes of growling. Confusion, of course is now as you would expect on commentary, run who's actually legal in this thing? As Barbarian gets cornered and SAgs comes with the front back breaker gets a count of one. Why wouldn't the outsiders run in to stop that? Cover that their titles are slipping through their fingers and they're just watching it. Knobs is backed into the faces of fear corner and with a huge pile driver on Brian Knobbs. SAgs breaks up the cover tag to SAgs, who has Meng on him, some corner chops and an Irish whipon. Jerry Saggs goes over to the Outsiders corner and gets barged big time, taged to Hall and here we go Haul clip in the face. It's Scott Hall versus Jerry SAgs. Ladies and gentlemen watch closely. SAgs picks up Hal and atomic drops him and then a huge low bro low blow right in referee Mark Curtis's face, and he does absolutely nothing about it. Of course, it all collapses and tags Meng at the last second as he's going down in agony, Meng pops Knobs right in the gut stand off with Megan Knobs. All this activity suddenly calms write the fuck down as if someone had pulled the Jenga piece out of this matchup. And they both what they're doing is they're both deciding we have to stop fighting each other, the nasties and the faces of fear. We need to get the outsiders pitted against each other so they're gonna out smart the outsiders. They both lunge and tag Haul and Nash, and now they have to wrestle each other. The crowd pops in realization of what this means, and very quickly Tony picks this up and says, wait a second, they can rest each other, but if they just lay down and one pins the other, they keep the titles and win the match. Yeah, this wasn't the brilliant plan that the Nasties thought it was. Leave it up to the Nasties to come up with, I know, like the most obvious downside ever of a master plan. I mean, like you know, that's that's the thing, Like they don't think shit through close. So they do that that they drop down from the apron, do the faces of fear in the Nasty so they can't tag out Halla nash That gets a big pop when they do that, But then Nashli says, fuck this and it's the original fingerpoke of doom.
Speaker 2: He lays flat. I honestly think like this should have been We never would have stopped, We never would have forgotten it if they pulled it off. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it wouldn't have been good from a spectator perspective, but it would have been novel. Yeah, and it's like, you know, it's memorable because absolutely they outsmarted everybody that's like, you should do that. They should have done it, but instead Hall covers him, and the Nasties run in and realize that they're fucking is holding up and stop the stop the cover. And he didn't likes it. He says, I've never seen anything like this, and you can tell he kind of genuinely means it, as knob said, digs his head into Nash's crotch. Jimmy Hart gets up up in the apron and gets nailed, and then Menga's backdropped out of the ring and here comes Scott Hall with the megaphone of Jimmy Hart nails Briannobbs in the head with it, and that sets up Kevin Nash hooking up the jackknife power bomb on Brian Knobbs. Way up into the lights, he hits the canvas hard one, two three. The Outsiders defeat the Faces of Fear in the Nasty Boys sixteen eleven in a triangle tag match here to retain the Belts at World War three nineteen ninety six. Dusty says he's going to join something, but then he says, not yet. I don't know who's talking about. There. I guess he means himself, and he would eventually join the nWo. So the outsiders suck and wind up the aisle. Welcome to WCW. They here fucking spent and it's gonna be hard out here for him for a little while. And then here we go, ready for the big three ring battle Royal Tony and Heenan and Dusty the ringside, deciding he'll get the title shot, and Heenan keeps putting over Dee Malenko as his favorite to win. Says he's got the size to not get tossed out of the ring. That's interesting, claiming that small stature is an advantage in a battle. Royal, I haven't heard that one before. Dusty says, home kind of makes sensely, they're more nimble, they can hide more, they can they can just lay on the mat and clutch the ropes, you know, get out of dodge. Dusty says, Hogan and Piper goes deeper than the nWo and Eric Bischoff and all that and bad hip or no, it is the fight of the century coming up between those two. Dusty then leaves Tony Shiovanni and Bobby Heenan because he's going to pair up with Mike Tiney in a different ring, Lee Marshall and Larry'sibisco in Ring number three. Lee Marshall fully turtlenecked as you would expect. Oh yes, absolutely, you know, you know, just covering up as best he can because he's ready to fucking drop Trout at any moment.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. But he he talks about where vlarry about a match. I mean, I don't know, listen to him go here. He talks about Benjan Sullivan and I mean it sounds like he's talking about the Great American Bash Match. I think he might be there talking about a house show they had the night performed ball in another one.
Speaker 18: Oh why dude, that match between the task Master Kevin Sullivan and the Canadian crippler Chris Banhi And as we knew, it was going to go all over the building and it did. It wound up in the bathroom where the Dungeon of June lad In ambush And I gotta tell you what they did to Chris Benoir you just wouldn't believe. And I think that tonight something more is going to happen between the Horsemen and the Dungeon.
Speaker 10: It's the lap fall wrestling podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy.
Speaker 7: It's the Lapsed Fan.
Speaker 10: He's an Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast with Jack and Carno and JP Soroka.
Speaker 1: For some reason, they decided to set up this whole thing where the Horseman Brawl don't even get in the ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's weird, like I don't why.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can only guess because they were trying to minimize crowding the ring so much, and that gives people, That gives the camera folks something you know, in the truck to focus on. Besides, you know, three rings completely filled and nothing happening. Yeah, they can just have this diversion of brawls in the outside. They even I don't know if Ben Wah got a black eye or what or they made them up to look like you got a black eye. But yeah, they' don'e a how show in Baltimore the night before where you know, it was a reprise of the Sullivan Ben Wah Bathroom Brawl American Bash. Then this program must continue, So to ring one, we go to Nay and Rhodes today says there is a tension backstage and Lee is clearing his throat on the hot mic is, Dusty says that Kanan looks good to him as a potential winner of World War three, and he also says, you got to go with Luga. The mindset is on sting though, so even though Luger has the on paper advantages, he believes the task Master has laid out a plan. Dusty believes this to really get this thing going ick and dream.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you what I Mike.
Speaker 8: You know the situation that the importance of this situation is the smaller guy, the cruise away. We know how great they are and what they've meant to WCW. I don't know what kind of chance they stand in with all these big guys except stand Away and everything. Koonad looks good to me. Luga looks good to me in this situation right here, because he's coming off a real power of thing. But if Luca's mind sent is on sting, I don't know if he could get it done. But bottom line two, Mike, is that I believe the task Master has laid out a plan maybe to get this thing going. Then it's going to throw that triangle to the most devastating thing that we have seen with a pipe, a fine in and everything in.
Speaker 1: A like what what Yeah, that's why I played it. I mean, oh my god. He just starts naming things that cross his mind. He says mind sent instead of mindset. He says Conat instead of Conan, which is actually kind of funny. Uh So Lee Marshall likes Kevin Nash in this thing, and does Abisco reluctantly picks lex Luger, duss he's going with Lexa Conan. Tonay picks Luger, and of course Bobby Heeneim with Dean Malenko. Tony Shavanni because he knows the fucking script picks the giant. So that's can't amount to Russo picking Brett Hart to win the ninety seven Rumble on Live Wire. Yeah right, So they're showing all the names on the screen scrolling and Lou Grenetti the first to step out, and there's Tony Rumble. There is Tony Rumble in a fucking Drew Bledsoe Patriots jersey in case you forgot it was nineteen ninety six pre Tom Brady, and he is he looks like a guy who's having a barbecue in Woolburn on a Saturday in October. Absolutely, he's got a fucking bandana on and blessed the man. He was a promoter in New England, an Indian promoter in New England who booked Kevin Sullivan on Indies all the time. A fellow Boston boy and real named Anthony Magliaro, he passed away untimely, aged forty three, just two years after a pardon three years after this World War three matchup on November sixteenth, nineteen ninety nine. Here's his obituary from the Boston Herald. Anthony D. Magliario, overvia professional wrestler, died of a heart attack Saturday at the Wooden Memorial Hospital in Everett.
Speaker 2: He was forty three.
Speaker 1: Born in Boston, mister mcgario, aka the Boston bad Boy Tony Rumble achieved his first national exposure as a wrestler with International Championship Wrestling. So he goes back to the savoldi ICW.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He went on to become talent coordinator and producer of the company's nationally syndicated television show and later worked for ECW. He also appeared several times on WCW. He stated the Century he started rather the Century Wrestling Alliance in nineteen eighty nine, and again promoting events regularly in nineteen ninety three, when he met Cable Axis television producer Pat Doyle to get of course the guy named Pat Doyle is involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on listen. Oh yeah, I know. We're very good with the that's the market. Yeah yeah, Look, we were very good with the greater Boston market. Yeah, especially the Turkey. I do like the Turkey.
Speaker 1: Conva Sama together, very good, very good there. I don't know why they named it after Cava, but I would name I would name it after Plumouth. I mean that's the thing. They have a cava in Cava.
Speaker 2: Now to get you really got a common cover? You have that, huh yeah yeah, Now listen, I'll tell you we get the We got great options here regarding the account of public access you know, television. I'll tell you we you know, we we are without a doubt. I can tell you, I can tell you this with a you know, without without without any kind of lie, that we are as big of a station as w CBB easily and on Channel five G you know, we got we got the same uh you know, I'll say even we have better uh you know, studio equipment. Then they got over Channel five. Absolutely, you know, I mean we have public access, so I think, you know, it's a good option for you. Together.
Speaker 1: They pretend used a long running cable access program that at nine ninety seven became the New England representative of the National Wrestling Alliance. Yeah, when the nw A was kind of revitalized. I guess you could say when Dan Severn was champed in the late nineties. Yeah, they were an affiliate, all right.
Speaker 2: I love that. He's you know, he was billed from the Combat Zone. Was he in Boston? Yes, that's fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: The same year the company became known as NBA New England Pro Wrestling I remember that, and ran close to thirty live events throughout New England. He survived by his wife, two daughters, and a grandson, several uncles and cousins, and and here's a piece from Sheldon Goldberg, who was a longtime promoter of New England Championship Wrestling. A lot of big stars like Yoursina's and Sasha Banks and others who came from the area, and he Edwards and others passed through his his circuit, and he was close with Tony Brumble and he wrote this on November thirteenth, two thousand and six. It was seven years ago today that the Boston Bad Boy died suddenly of a massive heart attack. Most wrestling fans would have been familiar with Rumble from his hosting of Marius of Oldie's Old ICW later ic CW Boss.
Speaker 2: Hey there we go. Give me that the international world class. That is the circuit of him, like being an international world That's always the best part.
Speaker 1: TV shows around these parts. Tony Rumble Sheldon Wrights was the owner and promoter of the Century Wrestling Alliance later become NWA New England. His exposure on the ICW slash ICCW shows made him something of a local celebrity. He was street smart as opposed to book smart, and a tremendously effective promoter the CWANWA New England that dominated the area. As far as local promotion goes, Rumble had a knack of being able to pick up sold shows, events where a school or organization would buy the event for a set price and then promote events off of the sold show.
Speaker 2: While he was never what.
Speaker 1: You'd call wealthy or even well off, he did make a living from wrestling during much of the last five years of his life. At its best, Cwanwa, New England was a collection of top national and even some occasional international stars and some interesting local talent. Rumble also had what he called his whack pack guys who were there just to be amusing or entertaining. They gave the promotion any character, much like Rumble himself. Rumblell's friendships with the likes of Jim Cornett and Kevin Sullivan put the promotion in a very unique place in the late nineties, before the beginning of developmental territories that ww uses now. Rumbell was one of those few who had the ear of decision makers in then WWF and WCW. Marumble was also still friendly with FORMERCW protegees like Taz and Tommy Dreamer, as well as Paul Haman. In New England, Rumble dominated the local scenes such as it was at the time. In fact, Onwa New England was really the first quote unquote serious independent promotion in the region. The company had a cable access TV show called Mass Madness. I remember that we're hearing about it, I didn't watch it. Produced by a bright, young cable access producer named Pat Doyle. The production was fairly high quality for its time, and the shows had everything from great wrestling with top talent to funny wrap around segments. The show eventually made its way onto broadcast TV on an independent UHF station out of Derry, New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Hey There Were.
Speaker 1: Show used a different format in broadcast TV and lasted sixteen weeks before the station wanted to change the deal and get paid for the show. A local car dealership, Atlantic Toyota, had agreed to sponsor the show, but pulled out at the last minute. It was a hard blow to Rumble, who passed away a few weeks later. Those who knew him remember him fondly. They remember him as a mentor who gave people a chance to perform who had never otherwise had that chance. He helped a lot of guys get into the national spotlight. He was larger than life character, always fun to be around, and quick with a great story. But the real person behind Tony Rumble was a lot more complex. Anthony David Maglio street kid whose parents died young. They had a lot of difficult childhood and life began in life with few bright spots.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's get it.
Speaker 1: One of Tony's joys as a boy were the monthly wrestling shows of the old Boston Garden. At a Garden show in nineteen sixty six, Brunoso Martino and Guerrilla Mond soon had a match with a ring broke in the middle of the match. It was the moment that Tony decided he wanted to be a wrestler, and years later he fulfilled that dream. He eventually took on the persona of the Boston bad Boy Tony Rumble, and that was when Tony's life really began. We began close friends over the last six years of his life. He loved wrestling with all his heart, as did his wife Ellen, their children, and his first grandson Hunter. Tony's sudden death through the New England wrestling scene inst at Turmoil Rumble was an irreplaceable commodity. His widow tried to put the promotion in hands that would continue the business, but they were to the wrong people for the job. Sheldon Goildberg writes, the solid business that Tony had built over six years and a half years crumbled within six months. Eventually, Tony's widow turned the operation over to Jason Delgata, who had wrestled Friend of Being New England as Jason Rage at the urgin of Ellen Melgalo, Jason radge I became Jason Rumble, the son of Tony quote unquote son. While Jason was no relation to Tony in real life, that promotion did continue under his direction, but Jason did not have the experience as either a wrestler or a businessman to be effective in either role. With Tony gone, it was inevitable. Sheldon writes that other promotions would spring up and try to occupy the same place a hall, and it held on the New England scene. By the time of his death, the business was changing rapidly. The SOULD shows became more difficult to get, and the ability to book top names from WWF andwcw dride up. It became clear, at least to me, that the region called for a different model for doing business. To try and imitate what Tony did would be impossible because so much of it worked because of him and his personality. I think about Tony Rumble every single day. He was one of those characters that simply don't exist anymore and probably never will again. And while I am sad that he is not here to lend his streetwise wisdom, humor and love to this world. I pray that he is happy wherever he is now, Rest in peace, my friend, Tony Rumble. I mean, can't be that happy he's dead. Oh I know, it can only be so happy. But there he is in the World War three for fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: So he uh. In nineteen ninety four, he was reigned two fifty seven in the PWY five hundred, like he broke. I mean, I guess he was in the lower of the the you know, the lower two fifty. But that's wild that he's even up there.
Speaker 1: He was one of those standout promoters, like you knew him and associated him with running this part of the country, and uh yeah, I remember him being around and a lot of difference towards him, I believe. I think it's the Secrets of Pro Wrestling revealed one of those Late Nights. I know Sheldon was on that one one of those late nineties ones kind of like try to stand hell to take you into like what it's like to book wrestling, And they show Sheldon in an office and they're sitting around talk about who's gonna win and lose, and Tony rumbles in that too. For those who might remember that what segment I'm talking about. All Right, all right, boys, watch the screw totally. I remember Sheldon Goldberg saying it's tantamount to like adults being able to play with their action figures, sitting around and deciding who's gonna win. Exactly what it is, exactly what it nailed it, He nailed it. Shout outs to Sheldon, Yeah, this is this gonna be a work or a shoot question? These are the questions we have here. We gotta figure out whether or not this is gonna be a work or a shoot. And uh, you know, I don't care which way we go either way. Count me out into many of Sheldon's shows and saw them all over the years. DDP Chaos, Robbie Rage, the other half of my voltage. This is the entrance order here. Michael wall Street, Marcus Bagwell, Scottie Briggs, Craig Pittman, Booker, t Stevie Ray Ray trailer humorous. You know what, while we did talk about how guys who have to wrestle twice should complain, it's also on the flip side, like.
Speaker 2: Mike Rotundo, like didn't even It's like Jesus gonna sit back there and just you know, fucking yeah, jerk off, like getting in.
Speaker 1: The ring ice cold, that's true, that's can't be ideal, and.
Speaker 2: Then getting in the ring with ice training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's coming up going and Ron Reese, Regal Parka Pezo who just debuted, by the way, Lapark had just debuted in ww like a week before this, Wow Pez Wattley, Steve Manga, McMichael with Deborah Disco, Inferno, Renegade, Joe Gomez, the Faces of Fear, Bunkhouse, Buck arn Anderson, Johnny Grunge, Cieclope, and there was no rock O rock I think he was hurt. Galaxy, who later went on to be Damien say six taking his sweet time. I mean this guy, he's walking out like molasses, oh, because he's high at Fallen, Nash and Giant doing the Wolfpack hand sign. Nash has a cup of something in his hand. He's having a drink. Scott Nordonaldiwal Dragon, Jimmy Graffiti, that's right, Jimmy Delray in a neon colored hat. Jimmy Graffiti coming into the company the Meltzer reported Jimmy Graffiti. The WWF ceased booking him based on an investigation into acclaimed incident by Jerry McDevitt, but no lawsuit was ever filed. Del Ray was not a wrestling mainstream because of the incident. It had something to do with like an underaged girl old. There's a big, long story about it, but that's always in a hotel caught in a hotel with with with an underaged girl, not in like the room and the throes of passion. But like you know, it was a story some guys like Nash would tell I think and stuff. So he got fired from w w F and w W picked him up because what's the problem, Mike. You know Ray mysterio roadblock Ice trained Buddy Lee Parker aka.
Speaker 2: Jack Boot Brother? Uh, what do you mean? Jack?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Jajack?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: He says?
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 19: What?
Speaker 2: What did your name? Buddy d? Parker Brother? I mean, this guy's just a J Brown?
Speaker 1: Your name him?
Speaker 2: Jack Boot Brother? What next? Are you are you talking about?
Speaker 19: You know?
Speaker 2: Maybe Jack Boot like drop championship?
Speaker 1: That's I mean, you can see why my gears are turning that direction.
Speaker 2: Dude. I mean, have you thought, have you?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 2: Jack Torch Yo?
Speaker 1: Kevin Sullivan brother, are you gonna push Buddy Sizzle?
Speaker 19: What up?
Speaker 2: My brother? Hey?
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. Are you gonna put the strap on Buddyy Parker?
Speaker 2: Brother? Brother, I'm just wondering, dude.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: This guy comes back in, brother Parker, you know, and I just want dall listening back in. Brother.
Speaker 1: I just want to get on the same page, you know, dude. And I appreciate what you've been doing. Brother, I definitely you know, I owe you a lot all right cases. But what I want to know you're putting the strap on Parker?
Speaker 15: Right?
Speaker 2: I have the is that the gold? Dude? Is he gonna you know, hello, when Kevin right here? Brother?
Speaker 1: Why are you looking away?
Speaker 15: Brother?
Speaker 2: When's you know? When's it gonna happen?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 2: You know you're gonna tell me about this brother?
Speaker 13: Like?
Speaker 12: Is that?
Speaker 2: I mean it's happened tonight? Like you want me a job?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Why do you want me a job? The butteraby Parker tonight? Love that logical leap? Is it tonight to? Why do you want me to? And it's all because he renamed a jack boot.
Speaker 1: That's my thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean, brother, I'm the boot dude, you know big boot leg drop?
Speaker 19: Brother?
Speaker 2: Why is there a jack boot? Is he jack in my bags?
Speaker 1: Jack in my fucking title ring.
Speaker 2: Brother, what's you know what? I just want to get on the same page. Brother, Now, listen, I'm not I thought we had an open line of communication. Brother.
Speaker 1: You've always been great about finding spots for my brozos.
Speaker 2: I want to, brother, I want to just kind of come clean, dude, kind of get all our dogs to the table.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 2: And you know what, like you and I, we go back a long way. So I just want to, you know, I just want to kind of you know this.
Speaker 1: Because they renamed by Barker jack Boot Jack Boot and he's having like a forty five minute conference about it backstage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know mono we mono. Brother. You know, you and I just kind of thinking about, you know, you know where where you know, where's this whole coveing thing going that's want to be level dude, And and you know I get it, brother. You know I can't listen to you. You know, I can't hold the champions forever. Book. He's going to full mode. But I always kind of just thought, yo, you and I would kind of you agree upon him. The guy who's gonna you know who I might you know, I don't want to say pass the Torch, but you'll give the title to you know, brother kind of lay down for but you kind of do this behind my back, and you know, I think we're gonna worry about getting this thing back on track, you know. But yeah, I don't know, dude. I'm just I'm just kind of disappointed that you're putting all your cards, you know, butter the Parker, and that you want to basically, I mean, do you you're kind of one step away from calling him Jack Hogan. You know, I'm gonna call him Jack Hogan. I don't know why. I don't know why you want to call him Jack Hogan, dude. And like the fact that you didn't this buy me beforehand, you know, I mean, I just don't know. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do this joy this guy has done to get himself out of a tizzy his guard Like, like, now you're bringing it. Now, you're changing to Jack Hogan. You're having him wear the red and yellow. Brother, I want you to picture Buddy the Parker right now, and then picture him with Dave Sullivan's outfit on Dave Sullivan's outfit, and they call him Jack Hogan. Fuck, the most generic name ever.
Speaker 1: It comes out thinking the crowd is going to be so fired up to see him, and they're like, what is this guy doing? They let him out of the home.
Speaker 2: What is he doing? Sure, says Jack, Look, Jack Hogan, I might be here for it. I might be okay, Jack Hogan. He's out pointing cup in his ear, like totally against type from Buddaly Parker and Hogan's backstage.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm not to judge, brother, but I just don't know what you're thinking of putting all the eggs in the Buddily Parker basketball. Anyone would ever push this man like he would ever have a prayer of winning a single belt, let alone the world title and getting repackaged? Is Jack Hogan freak wearing the fan? An assemblyman who got indicted Jack Hogan from fucking New Rochelle, the representative from New Rochelle, Jack Hogan, fucking born in the South Shore. He hears the Buddy the Parker had been renamed Jack Boot and he goes and has that exact conversation with Kevin self. Well the title on him, dude, I mean yeah, I just mm hmmm, I mean I know I feel the same way, Terry. Actually, I'm also at lost for words as to what to say to this. It's like Brad losing the title on the way out. I mean, you want to just walk into the dress room giving the title right now?
Speaker 2: Brother? So here you go. Do you know you're champion now? Brother Hulko.
Speaker 1: They're going to go in a different direction tonight. It's one two three, buddy, the paka over you for the for the title, for the strap.
Speaker 2: What just April fools?
Speaker 1: He freaks out, He's like what he gets up off his book. You're telling me, no, wait a minute, that doesn't work for me. Brother, dude, I'm not taking this creative brother, and I have creative control. Ah huh, great retort from Sully. Wonderful counterpart. Ah, that's what happened. That's what happens when you stand between Kevin Sullivan and his master stroke of putting the belt on Jack Boot, Jack.
Speaker 2: Hogan, Hogan, Terry.
Speaker 3: Jack Boot.
Speaker 2: What to the locker room? Everyone else is sitting around Hogan's dressing with the boys. He's just Jack Boot. He says that. He doesn't say he's gonna win, Darry Jack Boot. It goes book.
Speaker 7: What's coming?
Speaker 2: Happy right now? I am not ready for this Boot me, brother, what he's looking left to right?
Speaker 7: What I'm doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's the boot coming from? Give me a heads up there.
Speaker 1: The food coming from to hit him in the face. All right, that's enough, buddy, the Parker. We're never gonna get through this. Here comes him dug into a pop Ben one woman. Okay, as uncomfortable as that is to look at. His face is destroyed from the beforementioned Baltimore brawl, moving tude, the French Canadians, Prince sayaka who's in the company already? Which I forgot? Dean malinko oh yes, yeah he came in ninety six if Jarrett fresh as a daisy, completely no selling the fucking choke slam where he almost got put through the floor. He's coming out all smiles, prim and proper, Bobby eating, Jim Powers, Dave Taylor, Chris Jericho, Alex Right, Mark Starr, j L Viano, Rick Steiner, Kevin Solom with Jimmy Hart and yeah, that's that, and here we go. World War three is underway. Nine ninety six. Lee Marshall explodes, saying over in Ring three, Ben Wall and Sullivan are taking over a zarn Anderson runs up on the crew ring side.
Speaker 2: It was like I planned on taking over a couple of ladies after the event and I taking him over and flipping them over, Tony. Let me tell you, Tony, there ain't nothing better than that for w W pay per view, taking a fine woman and just betting her over a table and going to Lea.
Speaker 1: Marshall's signature move is definitely flipping from Missionary to Doggie in ten seconds, you know, like flip like she's airborne.
Speaker 2: Listen, like like she spins on his cock. Unbelievable, all right, Like it's like never he never leaves believable. Stay like just like he's a fucking day he has that dog in him. Oh yeah, so yes, the ben Wan Sullivan arn Anderson runs up on the crew ring side and it's on the horsemen are brawling with the I just want to say, Tony pay w W pay per View doesn't finish until I finish, the.
Speaker 1: Big finish, the hottest finish in the business.
Speaker 2: It's not DDP, it's my semen, he says on the air.
Speaker 1: It's when I'm finishing in Missionary and spin her around so her head is running under my balls. And Ray Trailer also getting involved in this ring side fight.
Speaker 2: I'd like that shaggerly tea bag.
Speaker 1: That's funny, Like Lee Marshall, like spends five thousand dollars on a high end prostitute just to tongue his balls while he jerks off. That's all he asked her to do. She didn't have to get naked or anything. And the thing is like, he's got no he you know, no pant obviously, no pants on, nothing like that. But he's still wearing the hurdle neck in a blazer.
Speaker 2: Keep it classy, San Diego, creams on it. Oh jesus, what is he? But's he driving one hundred twenty miles an hour? Is he weaving on the five?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 7: That's the noisy bats?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 8: That was Goose?
Speaker 18: Is it?
Speaker 2: Or is it not? World War three ninety six? On that fucking cast bitch? What's good?
Speaker 19: Oh?
Speaker 3: Shit?
Speaker 2: Didn't I say he had a vodka Collins? Did he say that? I miss that. I wrote that down. I think he said he had a box.
Speaker 1: He said something when he was walking to the ring with a drink in his hand, but I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Make it out. He fucking walks in drinking Christ a.
Speaker 1: Giant didn't have a cigarette in his face, So Ben Wan Sullivan are locked in Mortal Kombat. Here is Sully steps over the rail like he's supposed to be thrown over the rail, but he steps over it like as carefully as a senior citizen, and they're thrown in the audience. So just go, says I'm out of here. They're right near him. But the three cameras now, for the first time we see the Hollywood squares. Yeah, he says, there's one hundred and twenty hands going at one time. I'm scared to death out here. Yeah, he probably was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Today with the first person saying anything about the actual battle, Royal in formulas that Scottie Riggs has just been saved from elimination thanks Professor Trailer is of.
Speaker 2: All the people like who cares about Scottie Riggs.
Speaker 1: Trailer and Sully and Ben ware Up and the people you know in the audience fighting On one camera, Ben was now tumbling down the stairs of the arena of the Norfolk Scope. When they do a takeover with this frame for a moment, ben WA's face all busted up and now mangoes to the floor. He's he's battling and you can hear Lee Marshall. Go ah, he's right in the middle of this, He says. The nWo is in one corner together and they're not moving to throw anybody out. They are just striking up position and chilling. Ben Wah on the table. Now that Lee Marshalls announced, table getting worked over. Lee can't hear a thing. His ship's unplugged. They suddenly point out that Ron Studd has all the attributes to win the Battle Royal. That's good to know, Lee, except Stardom. I know it's the only one missing. He lets out another Ah. He's on the floor getting stomped. All of a sudden, beaten, all of a sudden start attacking Lee Marshall, like commanding him to sell. It's almost like, Lee Marshall, this is a rib Like there's no way Lee Marshall was told because the way he's selling is so uncertain and so like, yeah, improvised. You know, he doesn't because he's supposed to be announcing. How can he sell the barbarian kicking his head inappropriately.
Speaker 3: Don't kick the cock.
Speaker 2: Don't kick the cock. I got to use later tonight.
Speaker 1: The other announcers aren't even watching what's happened. They don't even care that Lee Marshall is getting destroyed.
Speaker 2: Which I also kind of goes in like makes you think it might have been not planned because nobody, nobody responds.
Speaker 1: Absolutely like they're like, what do we do with this? I totally I agree. I don't know. This just crossed my mind. I was racking my brain trying to think, if there's any cameo candidates, it is Larry's Abisco and cameo yeah he is, so yeah, that's the challenge to the well meaning members of the Solar System asca Larry's Abisco. I forgot to do it if Lee Marshall expected to be attacked by WCW wrestlers at World War three nineteen ninety six, or if you found himself having to improvise. Tony makes the surprise announcement in fact, all the four Horsemen and all the Dungeon of Doom are actually out of the Battle Royal now as a result of this. So that's a quick way to get a whole bunch of motherfuckers out.
Speaker 2: Which I don't understand at all. Qualified from a battle that makes like they didn't enter, they never got in the ring. And there was a time period by which I had to get in there or you're out. I guess it makes heavy start by Arn Anderson, Ben Wa Sullivan, Dungeon of doom. Uh not the guys you want to have just qualified in in a in a in a in a match that features about half fucking jobs. Mango.
Speaker 1: It's like all these guys you never see them at all. So bringside. The brawling continues, and the and the barbarian has the French Canadian's flag and he's choked. He's being choked with it. Uh, Sibisco says, Tony Lee Marshall is on the floor, he's trying to hold his chest and selling. Not the first time barbarian keeps getting stomps off on him.
Speaker 2: And not the and not the last time. Tonight he'll be on the floor.
Speaker 1: Wall Street trying to eliminate Luger. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: We need some you know.
Speaker 1: And then Zubisco just calls the s O s He says, we need some medical attention here for for Lee Marshall.
Speaker 7: Last night when we were alive in World War three.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is the next ant of Nitro. They make comment about the position Lee Marshall found himself in on this pay per view. All right, and then he delivers from the road. It didn't stop him from hitting the next college town, that's for sure. Listen, listen, he's got co Ed's to pound touchdown real fucking hard.
Speaker 6: Last morning, when we were lying World War three, there was a man caught in the line of fire. And here is in one of our broadcasters, and that is Lee Marshall. As a matter of fact, we're not so sure what's left Lee Marshall, But what's left of him it's with us this week and our won eight hundred collect road report. And Lee, we understand you're in Dayton, Ohio, and how in the world are you doing?
Speaker 18: Tony a little bit better than Bruise, but doing a whole lot better. Since the fans invited me to their Monday Night throw party here in Dayton. Everybody excited about the Ohio State Buckeyes, of course going to the Rose Bull, but really pumped up about next Monday. What Monday Night Trow comes to the Hara Arena in Dayton. Let me invite our fans back from all the southern Ohio jump by that good old Dixie Highway, join us a week from tonight in Dayton. We got tickets on sale of the haar will read a box office and all taken master Outlus gotta go. We gotta hitting the tailor on the weasel thing going on. That's your one eight hundred collect Road report Updaton, Ohio. Ive Lee Marshall for one eight hundred collect.
Speaker 10: It's the lap Call Wrestling Podcast, the wrestling podcast that knows the boys need their candy. It's the Lapsed Fan. He's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast with Jack and Carnacio and JP Sooro.
Speaker 7: Well you noticed me Marshall with faith down last night at this party. You'll probably faith down again. Yeah, you never know. He went he went out for cigarettes. Three people step in his hands.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Oh shit, so good. You know what I don't understand. Lee Marshall was born in la He died in Santa Monica. Yet he sounds like he's from the South.
Speaker 1: Think so, I don't think he sounds like he's from the South at all.
Speaker 2: I heard him. I tell you he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Oh he does.
Speaker 2: Listen to him, Yeah, listen to him when he talks.
Speaker 1: So Eddie comes over the top and slides in Eddie Guerrero. That is Lee's and Ring three looking for the backup and Sibisco says he's not quite coherent yet.
Speaker 2: So we don't have him yet.
Speaker 21: Uh.
Speaker 2: They point out that the bous and bad boy is on the floor board that you see him on the floor.
Speaker 1: He's out somehow, I don't know.
Speaker 18: Yep.
Speaker 2: Here this is a dusty. Dusty mentions it. Here, here we go in ring number one, Tony Rumble has just been eliminated.
Speaker 7: Tony Rumble out of ring number one. Tony Rumble is out.
Speaker 2: Okay, dust breaking news. What the fuck can run out?
Speaker 9: Baby A fought a foot but I didn't fit beforehand.
Speaker 1: You talked about how disorienting the three camera look was. At one point he literally had the same camera angle in two of the three squares. I'm not even using the real estate. I mean, what are we doing here? Gets thrown out. Jeff Jarrett is riding the top rope like a horse, preventing elimination. Legos, how am I doing? How do you think I'm doing? You understand that while I'm getting my you're just standing there, he says to Zubisco. While I'm getting my brain's kicked in, Larry, I'll.
Speaker 2: Tell you you know what, Larry. Later on, I'm gonna be standing there getting my brains fucking out, and you know what, you're not gonna be there with me. You can watch me get nutted.
Speaker 1: Boss Larry has nothing to say, by the way, while he takes him to task, talking over everybody, no clue if he's on the air. Tremendous Viano's loading up, Jeff Jarrett with hands he thinks he's gonna win the thing. Mike, you know, gets tossed. Lex Luga apparently just toss Laparka.
Speaker 19: Well.
Speaker 1: Why why aren't they just doing one ring at a time. Why can't we just say, okay, here's.
Speaker 2: Ring number one, I know. Why can't we look at little clips here and there of the individual rings? Why do we have to see all of them at the same fucking time.
Speaker 1: Tell the announcers that the next guy who's going to go out you just look to the announced booth and look for the high sign. That's when you know the camera's on your ring, and now do yep, and if it's not, you don't get eliminated.
Speaker 2: It's very simple. Talking to Lee Marshall, Lee, you're right, Lee, No, I'm not all right, Graffiti, I don't even know anymore if I'm all right, you know, I just kept on going and reminded me of the last time I was at a nice roll party and I just had my cock and some ladies and it just kept going. Jim and Graffiti almost tossed Ray out of the things, by the way. It just kept going. What that is it? Whatever it is? Yes, it kept going.
Speaker 1: Yes, the NWL was only made moves as a gang so far, we're told, So I got to keep an eye on that's developing story. Pez Wallely is out via Rob Parker. Nobody cares interference. I can see Renegade on the floor selling, so apparently he's been eliminated. Galaxy is out of Ring two, we're told, though we can't see it. I see Rick Steiner laying on someone on the mat, literally laying down on top of them, so he's not going to get eliminated in that position. Hacksaw bounces until Mark Starr clears the top rope. He just like shakes the ropes over and over again. Rage from high voltage skins the cat. He wants to win this thing. Chris Jericho suplexes Hoovy back in and tries to pin him. I swear to God. He tries to pin Wove and Dude Guerrera in the World War three battle round.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't he doesn't understand the rules.
Speaker 1: He's abisco doesn't say it, but I'm sure he can smell a New World odor down near his position. Good looks right in the green trunks. Who was underneath Rick Steiner comes up and gets some air. Prince Ikia eat shit as chaos is tossed into the ropes of the Alex Luger Today is reporting these eliminations like its donations coming into the Jerry Lewis talith On, you know, we just got one hundred, two hundred and fifty. We were going to reach our goal. Tony says members of the New World Order have gone nowhere. Surely he just means Virgil. When he says that, Dusty calls Ron Stud John Studd. Joe Gomez falls.
Speaker 2: To the floor. That's not surprising.
Speaker 1: The herd starting to thin a bit now. Lee Marshall keeps calling him Hove and Tude Guerrero over and over again, Eddie's brother, Dude, Hoo and Tuty.
Speaker 2: These announcers they're just talking and then all of a sudden someone just goes, oh, look out, yeah they I mean, and the thing is you keep hearing like everyone in the back. It's so sloppy. It's really one of the worst fucking matches ever.
Speaker 1: Go around the horn and Tony does a roll call of each ring and Today lists who's in his ring, and Tony lists who's in his ring and all of that, and Lee does the same. That's where he says Scott Steiner's in there, though Scott Steiner isn't.
Speaker 2: In the match.
Speaker 1: I believe Giant and Roadblock engage with the nWo watching Giant just beat this fat guy's ass. The Giant clothes lines Roadblock out and his head comes to rest on the guardrail. God blessed Roadblock, bunk House Buckshow was on the ropes? Spread Eagle Duggan's working the squire Dave Taylor over raised throwing the insane punches on the back of Disco Inferno's head, and Tony tells us he went under the bottom rope, so he is safe. Pittman with a stinger splash DDP two on Ron Reese. Now Disco is in the nwo's ring and Kevin Nash power bombs his ass. What if in the middle of this one of the rings exploded like FMW let.
Speaker 2: Me tell you, dude, it would have made the match ten times better.
Speaker 1: You don't know whis one, but one of them is going to explode at a certain moment.
Speaker 2: That's kinda that's what makes it World War three. You don't know which ring is going to explode it man, And that's actually how they determine, you know which ring to go into, is that they blow up two of the rings finally, and like the guys just fly, They fucking soar as the ring just blows.
Speaker 1: Ron Reese, the big Man comes out of the corner and takes a bump, and then the whole gang pigpile in the sky. Why you would do that in a.
Speaker 2: Battle Royal even I don't understand all that.
Speaker 1: They really prevent him from standing up in all possible way.
Speaker 2: And they they have. They really don't know how to book these kind of matches in It's very difficult.
Speaker 1: Timon's planning to get Rees up is to lock his hands like a Boston crab around his ankles and just to yank up no effect whatsoever. You're not gonna move a guy like that. Dusty makes reference to Recas instead.
Speaker 2: Of well he's talking about his pick. Is he that his still favorite, still in the match, he.
Speaker 8: Has, I said, Luga still in there, in there here, Yeah.
Speaker 7: He is still in the You're exactly right.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he's calling over to Tony all of a sudden. He I think he's today.
Speaker 1: I think he knows it's funny that he said Recus. He knows it's Frecus. Fricus six is riding ultim a dragon's face. Dugan and joh Show are on the floor tussling when Pco makes the save. All this confusion about was that guy eliminated or is he just on the floor going under the ropes makes it so confusing. The least you can do in a scenario like this is not have anyone hit the floor who wasn't eliminated. Just give the announcers that confidence that if they see a guy on the floor, he's out of the match, so they can call it instead of be like, well, you know, we didn't see him go over, so maybe he just went under the bottom row. Who knows, who cares. Eddie Guerrero does a pascado to Regal plunging over the ropes.
Speaker 2: What a moron.
Speaker 1: He basically eliminates himself. The American males get eliminated at the same time, and there's big tension between the two. Of course, the next night Marcus Bagwell would turn on Scottie Riggs and they chantedt nwol when he did it, Bobby Eating tumbles out. So there goes my pick so much for that. Look's right with the clean drop kicks.
Speaker 2: You know we've all got we've all got you know, we've all got our pick right with a clean drop kick. Since Dave Taylor, I'm going, I'm going, I'm personally my my pick is Mike right, dumbs Dave Taylor in Mall Street. Here's where he says, here's Wheale Marshall sas Scott Steiner. Now Rick is on the Apron and Ray and Ultimore Dragon him doing Luca with the nWo watching like it's a fucking personal showing. They're getting. Rick came over to ring too.
Speaker 1: Larry Zabisco says, I don't think you could do that. Yeah, you can't switch rings until the time is right. He's supposed to just dominate your ring and wait, yep, right exactly. Apparently, now the consolidation is happening, is Eddie, who apparently isn't eliminated throws TDP into the guardrail, and Tony questions, are they eliminated Eddie Guerow and Diamondall's page or so in this if you don't know, I don't know, Tony. Tony steps in and says, they're still They're still in. They were on their way to the ring number two when this brawl broke out. And I don't think that's true because I don't think we see him again. Despite the consolidation into one ring, we still have three squares on the screen. Okay, you tell me where the fuck's going. You can see Stevie Ray for multiple angles and multiple boxes.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, who cares stop it?
Speaker 1: But the crowds, the crowd staying active, so must have been more to see in person.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're I'm sure I actually believe that it is that it must have must be more interesting to see because you can see spectacle, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all kinds of places you can train your focus. There's Jack Boot. He's still in there. He's dumped over the ropes and nudged out and fatigues like a moron. Johnny Grunge is back dropped out by DDP today, noting he just had knee surgeries. Johnny Grune has been eliminated. Grunge attacks Jack Boot on the outside. Is Luger is landing punches on the Giant, almost has him eliminated.
Speaker 2: He's loopy.
Speaker 1: Dean Malenko is now jumped dumped rather by Jeff Jard's BA and off slaps the ground like he actually cares that he lost the match and thought he was gonna win. So there goes Bobby Heenan's pick. Jim Powers is out as well. DDP gets out Craig Pittman, and Booker kind of pathetically is tossed in a low energy way out of the ring by Kevin Nash. Heenan screams, there I thought DDP dumb Pittman. DDP gets out Pittman yep, and then Booker is tossed by Nash. Heen In says, there goes my monitor. Someone must have kicked the table. Yeah, and they continue to call out Ron Studd as the big man in there.
Speaker 2: Most importantly, bunk house Buck is still in this.
Speaker 1: Sadly, if you're wondering at home, ddp's going Ham on Jericho in the corner and the Giant going ham when asked what he wants in his omelet. Finally, it looks like Nash is tossed Disco and uh Buck sails out for the business. Stevie pretends Eddie back dropped him and basically sidesteps him and sends himself out of the ring. Just like now, guys are just literally just throwing themselves out of this mat. Yeah, it's like it's like they get they were told, okay, we got to go to the hole. You can definitely see that, and we just start tossing people. Giant hugs Rick Steiner and tosses him. Ron Studd is finally dumped. After all that they after all that talk about him being the big man in the match, they barely even comment on his elimination as Luger back dropped him out of the match. Draggon his out courtesy of Ray Mysterio. Ray hangs on, they're describing all this, but we can't see it unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's just a fucking nightmare.
Speaker 1: And then calls out stand your own ring as Li says, what's the head count of that ring?
Speaker 2: Guys? And Heenhon goes sixty eight and Tinay cackles at that because it's like it's a silly question. Heene says, thank god they didn't ask Dusty, he'd have to take his boots off to count. What I don't understand is that, like for the majority of the of the final number of people, Okay, now that they've consolidated the rings, they've still got that three camera on.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Like they have it on for way too long, multiple angles from the same hunter. Anyway, they shouldn't have had it anyway, But like, why is it so bad? It's so actively bad. Regal with a big European uppercut, Jericho's out. They keep saying, it doesn't it doesn't change, Like, it doesn't go to actual regular camera until there's basically seven minutes left on the in the show, you can tell they have a particular moment they want to go to the single camera and that's when they have the West Side story face off with the nWo guys, and not a moment before that, so they stick with the three camera. Regal gets a European uppercut sending out Jericho. They keep saying Rick Steiner is in there and he's been eliminated. They clarify after that ice train gets dumped, we have our moment finally where we've really thinned the herd, and in one ring it's nWo guys versus WCW guys. And that's when they go full screen, which is a good moment. It's like, okay, now we can care. They kind of dissolve away from the three box shot to this one camera and it's a DDP lex Luger, Raymistereo, Jeff Jarrett, Eddie Guerrero versus Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, the Giant in six and they say DDP is still kind of riding that fence, and he goes ahead and attacks Eddie Guerrero. Six gets behind Kevin Nash and Eddie's back dropped out sky high by Steve Riegal. Ray steps to Kevin Nash went off on him like a child trying to beat up his dad. Yeah, today recalls the Disney trailer Lawn Dard incident with Kevin Nash and Raymisterio. Ray runs into the giant and with one hand, this is a memorable spot. With one hand, the giant picks up Raymisterio and a gorilla press and tosses him.
Speaker 2: Out of the Yeah, that's pretty wild. It looks great.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool, Jeff Jarrett repeated shoulder bumps and DDP almost spills out of the brain. Hall with an atomic drop kicks Jeff Jarrett welled WWF callback. Here's Jeff Jarrett Scott Hall mix it up. He gets them up with the razor's edge, but Regal yanks Jeff Jarrett down to save him for god knows what reason, and the Jeff Yard's close lined out bysh Anyway, DDP charges and he's low bridged out of the match by Regal. Regles gained up on. Regels spend a lot more time in there with the nWo than you would think he's he's flying the WCV flag.
Speaker 2: It's kind of yeah, like who would have thought that shit? He's ganged up on.
Speaker 1: But the nWo, all of them forcing him slowly out of the ring and he hangs out intensely trying to stop it, but Haul rocks him with the right hand and Steve Regals out of the brumble or out of the battle royal and now Lex Luga rises and they come up and it's Lex Luger versus all four members of the nWo, and it's good stuff.
Speaker 2: Six yeah, and they all this is the I mean honestly, this is the way that this is again. You're making fucking Lugri a star. You so are because he goes off. You know, Six turns in and Luger ducks Hall. He starts fighting everyone at once. He ducks one guy, hits another guy, and then ducks one guy and hits another guy, and they get up for that as he's like picking his shots, taking one guy out after ducking the last guy's punch.
Speaker 1: Then Giant whips in. Luger charges and misses the corner and Luger gets him up on the top rope.
Speaker 2: The big man.
Speaker 1: He's hammicked up there, and Luger is kicking the shit out of Giant trying to get him out, and then he picks him up in the fucking torture rack. He's gonna rack him, so he's got him on the shoulders. When Six kicks Luger in the back, he drops the Giant, Scott Hall hooks up the razor's edge, but no lex Luger counters by backdropping Scott Hall up and out of the match. Dusty's screaming, come on, Luger, it's great. They're getting like WCW raw rob about it. Yep, and then Luger it's huge to drop backdropping haul out of the match, grabs six and tosses him down onto hall. Come on, Luger, he ducks the he ducks the big boot. I think of Kevin Nash and hits Kevin Nash in the head with a forearm and lifts Kevin Nash in the torture rack. He's got him up. He's gonna do this. He's gonna take out the whole nWo by himself. Luger is a superman, Tony Schiavanni declares. However, as he saunters over the ropes with Nash in the torture rack, Luger drops Nash and Jesse's is about to eliminate him. Giant sneaks up and tosses Luger at the same time Nash is falling out of the ring, and with that the Giant wins World War three nineteen ninety six the sixty man Battle Royal in twenty eight minutes and twenty one second to secure a world title shot. He then calls it the greatest Battle Royal in the history of this sport and the greatest pay per view we've ever seen. Pessner makes the announcement is they're screaming Pyro and you know they already start speculating what a shot at Hollywood Hogan would look like for the giant who's in the NWOL lukers on the floor making hand signals like it was four on one. You're damn lucky. There's luger chance. As the nWo raises the giants hands and do the outsider finger point, they pose for photos from ringside photographers took actually a legendary picture that I used to have and from WW magazine at this moment with everybody posted the wolfpack hands sign yep.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, I know you're talking about.
Speaker 1: We'll get the credit roll and you know what it is, EVP Eric Bischoff all the way on down Wrestling Operations, Jenny Angle, Terry Taylor and Jody Hamilton and JJ Dillon Boss. This has been a lapsed fan production of World War three ninety six.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and also you get Chef Kevin as your caterer, by the way, so so chew on that.
Speaker 1: Who knows what's next. Keep your eye peeled and your ears locked and we'll see you next time on that fucking cast.
Speaker 10: A preceding announcement as a t J DeSantis production, its contents is intended for private use only.