Speaker 1: Minnesota, goodbye. Send emails to Ryan Show at KATWB dot com. First thing we got is about upgrading on a for like trying to get into first class. So we were talking about this last week and somebody said that they were I think they were going on a trip and they said should they spring for first class?
Speaker 2: Or they were asking if they could ask for first class, not to pay for it, but like they noticed that there were seats open, so they were wondering if there was a way to get like to be respectful and see if they could get upgraded.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Naomi writes in says, I work for the airlines. It does not work to buy treats because somebody said, oh yeah, buy them a coffee or a muffin or whatever. It doesn't hurt to ask. She actually says it doesn't work to ask, but I think she means it doesn't hurt to ask. We have so many frequent flyers diamond, platinum, gold, silver, then we have paid upgrades. It just doesn't work anymore. So sorry, employees used to get these upgrades that weren't paid for, and we cannot even get them. There will never be a free random upgrade nowadays. Okay, that kind of makes sense. Think about it this way, when's the last time you flew on a half full airplane? It doesn't happen anymore. And back in the day, like even in the nineties, it was like, oh, you're on this flight from you know, like Las Vegas back home, and there's like all three seats are open, like the you know, so you get a road to yourself. Never happens anymore. Most time I get on Southwest and they're like, we are completely full today, so blah.
Speaker 3: Blah blahn, move all the way down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So thank you, Naomi. I appreciate the inside information. Sarah writes in she says, you can say my name. I'm currently listening to Jenny talking about sending the wrong link, and I sympathize.
Speaker 2: What was that about when I sent the link of somebody wants to absolutely fuck the shit out of you I instead of a link to some shoes that I was trying to post.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, I remember that from last Thursday or Friday. I've been there, done that. And to the gal who sent a DM to the whole zoom, I'm sorry. It will get better from here. That was the one she was on last week. Her name was I think Cassandra, and she was on a zoom meeting that got boring, so to entertain herself and her friend, she sent a private message to her friend on the Zoom meeting, what's your favorite kind of porno? What's your favorite porn category? And it's sent to the entire fifty person meeting. She goes on to say, I've sent the wrong thing to the wrong person so many times. I now double check every recipient and every link before I hit send, texting, Instagram message, her team's email, I check it. You should too. I don't believe in regret. If you regret something, have you learned from it. If you've learned, why regret it, Just move forward and try your best not to do it again. I'm currently rapidly leaving a verbally and emotionally abusive home relationship. Listening to your show and podcast is really getting me through this terrible time. I love you, guys, and I'm so grateful for each of you. Your work makes an impact on me and so many others. Thanks for all you do. Have a great day and make good choices. Sarah the nurse from South Minneapolis, Sarah, that's very sweet. We know we're not here too necessarily to get people through the day, but if that helps get you through the day because you're going through something really tough, that makes our job even more valuable and we're really glad that we can help you with something like that.
Speaker 3: We're here for you.
Speaker 1: Next one, Stephanie says, I listen to no phone screener Friday. I one hundred percent agree with the caller about your watch recommendations. Please, oh please do your watch of the week and post it on the Dave Ryan Show website, Instagram, Facebook are helpful too, but the website blog should for sure have it. Can you try to remember that for this week and Jenny and see if there's anything that we can like. Okay, here's your watch list for the week. Yeah. I find myself so much many times sitting down at the end of a long day after the kids were asleep, to go what was that show Jenny said was great? Or what was it Dave liked and then said it wasn't worth finishing. I do the same thing. People will text in and go, oh, you've got to watch this watch Reacher, and I'm like, I remember that one because somebody recommended it to me. And I did not like it, but sometimes that happens. Ps, Dave, Netflix is different for every single person based on what you watch. Yes, recently you mentioned that the title you might be referring to will be on the Netflix homepage, but it all depends on what you're watching. Well, that's true, that totally makes sense.
Speaker 3: I also heard somewhere that even the pictures that are on Netflix are catered to who is watching it, So like, if they know that I like watching Gurly movies and Gurly TV shows, then all of the pictures will have a girl in it, and the same picture for the same show I have somebody else in it. Real, Dave, Yeah, okay, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Hello morning crew. First of all, like to thank you for putting out such a great product. I'm an airline pilot and I often find myself in cities where I don't know anyone, so on walks. It's great to put on your podcast and have my friends walking with me. That is super cool. I really appreciate that, Dave. You truly have a knack of doing an excellent job of explaining complex situations relating to airplanes without watering down but not getting too muddied in the details. I think you could do a way better job than a lot of the so called experts that media outlets use for aviation events possible retirement side gig. You know what, I appreciate that because I'm not an airline pilot and I don't even have a thousand hours of airtime, whereas, by comparison, your average airline pilot probably has a minimum of five thousand hours.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I don't even have one thousand, and that's since nineteen ninety five. So for me, let's see, my topic for discussion was what time that your company let you down the most? For me, it was a time we flew from Minneapolis to a city in Wisconsin during a snowstorm. When leaving Minneapolis, we knew things were gonna get dicey, but I was confident they were not going to cancel any flights just to lay them. Once we got to Wisconsin, our flight back was of course delayed, and I was assuring everybody we would be on our way shortly. And as I was making my PA announcement, the company went and fucking canceled the flight and all the passengers knew before me. Wow, talk about a egg on my face, all right, And they called themselves Captain dart Lick because they don't want anybody to know who they are. They don't put their name anywhere in there at all. I'll just tell you one of my favorite insightful aviation stories. Remember the flight about ten or fifteen years ago, where they were coming from Denver or somewhere, and they flew past Minnesota by about one hundred and fifty miles or sole. They were supposed to land in Minneapolis, and they flew past about one hundred and fifty miles or so. And then finally they kept calling them from the tower and saying, hey, you know, flight one o six, Flight one oh six, can you hear us? Can you hear ushu? Flah blah blah, And they wouldn't answer. They wouldn't answer, they wouldn't answer. They claimed they were both on their laptops and they weren't paying attention. Now, I don't know, but as a pilot, I would suspect they both fell asleep. Oh, because it does happen. But there's no way that they ever wanted to admit that, Hey, the two pilots up front, they might fall asleep. So I don't know, and that is just my speculation.
Speaker 3: Do flight attendants not like check on anybody like pilots either? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, oh no not really. I mean they could call up there, but the flight attendants likely wouldn't have known that they were approaching and then flew over Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, oh are there no cameras in a pilot cabin?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And that's one question. And then the other one is isn't there some kind of box that like you can get into when a plane crashes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, black box which is actually orange. Okay, so they can find it easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean that has nothing to do with anything, but that's interesting that they probably just fell asleep. So you're telling me that those planes really are just flying themselves.
Speaker 1: To a large degree. They say that flying is like ninety nine percent sheer boredom and one percent sheer terror. So the takeoff and landings, that's that's very involved. Yeah, but the but once you get at cruise altitude, it's kind of like you sit around and you're board and maybe the person. And here's another thing that in movies, the pilots always know each other. Hey, Hank, how's the kids?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Good, Jim, how's your new dog? Yeah, and then the flight attendant walks on, Hi, Carol An, how's it going. They've likely never met, they've likely never flown together, So when you're sitting up there, you're kind of getting acquainted with the other pilot. They might be really boring. Yeah, they might have nothing to talk.
Speaker 2: About, but don't I feel like flight attendants do get to know a lot of the pilots. My friend married a pilot, okay, and like because she was I think they were on flights together a lot.
Speaker 3: I think wherever your.
Speaker 2: Home bases as a flight attendant, that also could be the same home base obviously as pilots. So then you're probably chances are going to have more flights with those.
Speaker 1: People, and that could be Yeah. I saw a really bad movie the other day with Jack Wagner called Nowhere to Land, and it was done about nineteen ninety nine or so. And do you know who Jack Wagner is. He was a soap opera star and he was kind of a heart throb, and he's very handsome, and he was the pilot and he knew the co pilot, and all the flight attendants got on like, Hi, Captain Smith, oh hey, Donna, how are you. How's that new house? It is like, no, they don't know each other that well. It was terrible movie.
Speaker 3: I not about pilots or any but so I saw a play that was about planes over the weekend and they said in it that planes are meant to be flown and if they sit for too long, they like start to deteriorate fast. Do you think that's true.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that before.
Speaker 3: Really. They were like, yeah, that we got to get this plane. I mean the plane where they all were like on the ground for maybe four days and the pilot was like, we got to get this plane up in the air. It's going to start breaking down if we don't, so like we need to go now.
Speaker 1: Oh So I never heard that. Yeah, well it could be something.
Speaker 3: That's a thing.
Speaker 1: Uh Rinita writes in it says, Dave, I wanted to say that I loved your recommendation given to the woman who experienced a miscarriage. You are spot on people who reach out more than once when you're experiencing grief or something tragic. Truly means a lot. With my daughter's cancer, I have honestly been surprised that who doesn't check in to see how we are doing, and pleasantly surprised at the people who do the check ins without any agendas. So kind of helpful to feel less alone during trauma. Anyway, great advice, Dave. That is from Ranita. This came up because when my dog died a week ago, there were the wonderful friends of mine who's like check in and say, hey, I heard about Josie. I hope you're doing okay. Wow, such a hard loss. And I appreciate that, and that's all I expected, and expected might actually be the right word, you know, But it was the people who checked in like again later that weekend and checked in again like on Wednesday. That really is like, wow, that was very comforting. So a friend of mine lost her son in a motorcycle accident last fall. He was like eighteen or nineteen, no, like killed on the spot. Yeah, And so I've tried to remember to not just you know, went to the funeral and all that, and I've tried to remember, like every couple of weeks just to like start a little conversation with her to see, you know, not like how are you doing because that's a stupid question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because clearly she's probably not doing well.
Speaker 1: Ryan, So I'm just like, hey, just thinking about you, what's going on with you? And she talked about anything but her son, So I think it was good for her to just anyway get.
Speaker 3: Her mind off of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, more emails. That's not one. Here we go. What is your I get it now moment? Since becoming a mom, I feel like I've had so many moments where I thought to myself, I get it now. I'll often call my mom and say I'm sorry, I get it now. For example, my mom would go in her room and watch her shows by herself for a few hours on the weekend. I totally didn't understand why she wouldn't want to spend every possible moment with me. But now as a mom, I get wanting to have a moment to myself. It doesn't have to be about parenting. I'm just curious about your I get it now. What is your moment? Thanks? Abby? I would have to think about that first.
Speaker 2: I've got an answer.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 2: So my sister and I really wanted to go to our friends. Well, I wanted to go to my friend's house. She wanted to go to her boyfriend's house. It was a snowstorm. My sister had her license, so she was going to take us there. My mom refused to let us go because it was out on these country roads. So she's like, it's not safe, you're not going there or whatever, while we lied and said we were going to the movie theater and that we were going to a movie and.
Speaker 3: So that was in town.
Speaker 2: So she allowed us to do that, but really she went to her boyfriend's.
Speaker 3: I went to my friends.
Speaker 2: Well, I get it now because driving through snowstorms is terrifying.
Speaker 3: We were young. I get it.