Speaker 1: Not to be overshadowed as Max Chadwick who joined us today on a whim and we appreciate it. Man. We broke the emergency glass and we got one of the best in the business. How are you, by the way, how are things through you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good?
Speaker 1: How you guys doing excellent? It couldn't be better. We're past May, which means we're in June and we can see the season within our sites now. And with that, we figured at some point Aaron Rodgers would be a Pittsburgh Steeler. We haven't spoken with you in months, so let's kind of do a reset. Where are you at with the Steelers as a whole and with the Rogers component along with Arthur Smith and company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just seems like the Steels are gonna be where they always were, which is basically, you know, maybe good enough to just make it sneak into the playoffs, but not good enough to actually compete for a Super Bowl. If they had Bason Rudolph as the quarterback all year, maybe they could reset and be one of the worst teams in the NFL and then get a top draft pick and completely reset without a brand new, young franchise quarterback, but now with Rogers, it kind of seems like the same old Steelers are now kind of like what they were last year with Russell Wilson. It might be a slight improvement off what they had in Russell Wilson, but maybe not that much. So I think it's extremely similar to what they had last year.
Speaker 1: I think for fans that get excited about it, it's more of just the confirmation that there's something that got done there with Rogers, they can now breathe and move on, not necessarily celebrate. It's more of a okay, fine, this portion of what's going to be a several act of drama is over. Now we'll see what's ahead for Rogers. And I agree with you, Max, Max Chadwick Pro Football Focus. There's not much of a difference, you know, metrics wise, but between the two guys last year, and look at what Wilson was able to do. Rudolph obviously was the guy that would have led him to Tank City and they could have gotten that fifth he does. He's looking very much like a magnum p I, but unfortunate he's gonna be holding a clipboard for a little bit. So Rogers in that offense obviously it gives them at least some degree of competency. But I agree with you, these better days are probably behind him. With the Achilles, he doesn't move as well out of the pocket. He's not escaping the kind of pressure he used to. And the Arthur Smith component. It's gonna be interesting because Rogers likes to own the line of scrimmage. He's his own coach at times, and Artie is not. Hardy's not a big fan of handing over control. How's that dynamic gonna play? Does Tomlin need to get in it? Have they already had that discussion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting. You know, Aaron Rodgers obviously steamrolled everybody in that Jets organization when he went over there, and I think it's ultimately why it really didn't work out well at all is because he just had way too much control over that entire organization, whether it be over the general manager, over the coaching staff, everyone. It was Aaron Aaron Rodgers show in New York. I have more faith than Mike Tomlin to not get steamrolls. You know, Mike Tom's a very well respected coach, a Super Bowl champion coach, and I don't think he'll ever let anyone steamroll him, right, So I think he's gonna come in there and be like, well, Sen, you're a quarterback, you're nothing else, right, Yes, exactly what. We're paying you to be the quarterback for one years a one year contracts, not a multi year thing like what the best thing could be a one year deal. So I think I think Rogers is going there and gonna play football next year. I don't think Mike Tomins can let him have any really control over anything else, or at least you shouldn't let him have any control mate. Now, of course, Arthur Spith's gonna, you know, consult Rogers, considering he's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time and say, hey, what are you comfortable with? What are some plays that you like if we can incorporate for you. There's something gonna be some collaboration there. But I would be really surprised if Aaron Rodgers had as much of a vice script over the Steelers as he did over the Jets.
Speaker 1: Trey Faco's got a question, but I'll add this. I would give him three gold jackets if he can plow through and destroy the Steelers, the most stable organization ever, that would be as impressive as taken it can be if he could just finally put the Rooneyes in the ground for all and ruin what's been the most stable organization for decades. If anybody could do it, it's mister Rogers. Trey, you have a question for Max.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Max, obviously this is a bridge year that is obviously in the contract. To your point, it does feel like it's going to be the same old Steelers. It feels like they're probably going to be picking around nineteen twenty twenty one right now, as you see this roster in the way that it's constructed, what do the Steelers need to do to prepare for that future quarterback that it looks like they're going to get next year in next year's draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're doing a nice job building up the offensive line, right. They spent the last two first round picks or before, I should say this year on for on tackles. Right, So they got younger on the offensive wind of a great young center and Zach Frazier in an awesome rookie year last year. So I love that the receiving corp is still severely lacking right now. I think guess the one thing. Yes, they did trade for DK Metcalf, but they also traded away George Pickens, So it's kind of almost like a neutral move right there for Pittsburgh. And the weapons outside of Metcalf are uninspiring to say the least right now, so they got to keep building up their receiving corps. The defense is really good. The d line's maybe the best in the NFL right now. He's got Derek Carmon in the first round. Two, the tackle from Oregon. I think the defense overall because really good. Still building up a secondary a little bit, but and he needs Tom up a corner. But I think the really big thing is, yeah, you look the old line. Still build up on that old line a little bit. Is a very young and talented old line. I really want them to attack the receiving corps even more and get more wide receivers in there outside of DK Metcalf.
Speaker 3: Max, you're now Rooney, You're now the GM of the Steelers.
Speaker 1: You're going into next year's draft.
Speaker 3: You're picking the future franchise quarterback for this organization is Arthur Smith. The type of offensive coordinator that you want to try and build around a young quarterback or do you want to maybe bring somebody else in that's I don't know, a little bit more dynamic, maybe a little bit more progressive. When it comes to the offense. Is Arthur Smith the offensive coordinator of the future. I know it's a one year sample size, but I look at last year and I'm like, it's kind of a step up for Matt Canada. But I don't know exactly how great this offense is. Granted, who if they had thrown the ball? Who have they had running the ball?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good question, you know. I think it's all depending on how it looks next year. You know, if he makes it work with Aaron Rodgers and the offense is above average next year, I say, yeah, you know, I'll give him another shot going into twenty twenty six. But if if it's still like a below average offense or anything like that, I probably say, you know what, it's probably time to move on and get a new OC in there. So I don't know how much longer Mike tom It's gonna be the coach. I'm not well, miamimans, I'm not calong for him to be fired. And because I think he's a great coach, But it is very hard to win with a defensive head coach in the NFL nowadays because you know, you need a great offensive mind in there. And if you're if you have a defensive minded head coach, you have a great offensive coordinator. That offensive cordator is gonna be scooped up by a head for a head coaching job very very soon after that, right, So it's very very difficult to have that happen. So it's kind of a wait and see mode right now. You know, I'm not I'm not saying Art Smith should or not should not be fired right now. But if he has a bad year next year, yeah they tried to should move on. But if he's pretty good next year with Aaron Rodgers, then maybe give him another shot.
Speaker 1: Max Chadwick PFF dot com joining us on literally two minutes notice, which is why he's the goat, among other reasons. Max, you can find his work at PFF dot com. Will promote everything in a minute, quick whip round around the league. A couple teams and storylines. I'm fascinated by the Giants quarterback room could have its own Hard Knocks series, And you know Dart Wilson Winston might be trade bait. Who knows at that point. Do you have sort of an idea in your mind? Who you envision being the starter day one? Is it is? It? Is it Russ and then maybe turn it over to Jackson mid season? Is it Russ all year? Or does Jackson get the nod from day one?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's gonna be Russell Wilson's team. I think, you know, Brian Dave Beli even came out and said that, hey, you're Russell Wilson is the starter. Jackson Dart is not competing to be the starter at least right now. I'm not closing off the idea of hey, if Russ struggles out there at Jackson Dark could go in there. But I don't. I don't even know if Jackson Darth is the second string quarterback right now. Right I think Jamis Winston might even have that job over him too, so I would. I think Russell Wilson is pretty much guaranteed to be the week one starter, but it all depends on how the season goes before you know whether or not they try to turn in Jackson Darvis. You gotta remember, I mean both Brian Dabel and Joe Shane. They're both on the hot seat right now, and the owner even came out and said they're both in the hot seed right now. So if they're struggling with Russell Wilson, they're gonna like move on from him pretty quickly and try to put Jackson Dart out there. That way they could at least show ownership. Hey, here's what the future looks like. You know, let me work with this guy a little bit more and we'll see what we can do in twenty twenty six. If you start Russell Wilson all year and you go five and twelve, you're gonna get fired, right there's no really future that you showed that year. So if they're doing well with Russell Wilson, they'll keep him. But if they start losing a lot of games, I think Jackson Dart would be started there pretty quickly. Just so you know, Brian Dable and Joe Shane can save the jobs.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Max, it's way too early to predict a Super Bowl unless you're a sports talk host in June and you have to just mess around. And that's what we do on this show. My early like shocking hot take super Bowl, which is what we do every year. Would be Rams Broncos. And here's why. And I saw your rankings you put out last week. You've got the Rams, you and the company there have them at six, I believe right now. And then you've got Denver and nine. And the defense. What they've done at corner is unbelievable. They got the pass rush, you got the two strong corners there, Bo had a great year at quarterback. And the Rams. I want to talk more about them with you. That's a team that I just see lurking right now. With all that talent in the front seven. You've got obviously two very talented receivers on the outside. Offensive lines coming together. Stafford v State's healthy McVeigh can always win. It wouldn't surprise me a bit because they almost beat Philly. Could you see one of those two teams maybe working into at least the championship game?
Speaker 2: Definitely? I think it was the two you know, sleepers out like a lot right there. I think Los Angeles, like you just mentioned, I mean Los Angeles, they almost beat Philadelphia in the divisional round, and if they won that game, they could all of a sudden, they could beat the Commanders in the conference title game. If they do that. Listen, the Rams had the front seven like the Eagles that could dominate Kansas City. Like, I know, it's kind of stretches things considering they lost the divisional round, but the Rams weren't that far away from winning a Super Bowl last year. You really look at it, right, So I don't hate that call out at all. And then yeah, Denver, you know, one of the best defenses in the NFL right now. And then you have, you know, a quarterback in b Nicks who is very solid in his rookie year, a really good offensive line in Denver as well. I don't love the receiving corps in Denver, but it's not the worst in the NFL either. And then Rje Harvey is a new running back there. I like to lock him out of UCF. So yeah, I think Denver, you know they're gonna make the Super Bowls, can be off the defense. But I think it's a two good calls right there for sure.
Speaker 1: Max.
Speaker 3: One final question for me, being a yinser, I have a little bit of a vested interest in this.
Speaker 1: I had a hot take kind of similar.
Speaker 3: We've been doing this whole hot take thing, and my hot take was I looked at Cleveland, the Cleveland Browns, I don't think it's out of the question for Shador Sanders to be the starter coming into this season day one. Just looking at that quarterback room.
Speaker 1: On paper, I know there's Joe Flacco.
Speaker 3: He's good for a couple of games off the bench, but as we've seen, that's about it. I don't know that he's true starter carry you through the season. Material. Uh what are your thoughts in the Cleveland quarterback room?
Speaker 2: H yeah, I would agree with you. I think Sanders is pretty in my opinion, at least pretty easily the best of those four right there, whether it be Joe Flacco, whether it be Kenny Pickett or Dylan Gabriel. I don't know if we'll start week one only because they took him in the fifth round of the draft to drafted the guy, and Dylan Gabriel over him too. So I think just Kevin Stefancy is just gonna it's gonna be really hard.
Speaker 1: Wait, Max Matt, you're not following the o t A stat leaderboards right by the way. Those are vital Those are vital metrics.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, I've seen a lot of those stats. I just saw one even yesterday, I said, should is the only one who didn't take any first team reps either for.
Speaker 1: Prime. Coach Prime is gonna call you that, I don't careful. Go ahead, Max, Sorry, you're.
Speaker 2: Guessed as good as mine. So what the heck the Brown is gonna do next year at quarterbacks? I think no matter who starts at quarterback, it's gonna be it could be a historically bad offense in the NFL next year. I just look at that offense top to bottom, and it's it's a disaster everywhere. Man, you got the worst seeding corps football, maybe the worst offensive line in football. And then obviously you have no idea what you have do what you're doing a quarterback right now? Running back? Man's that's really all you're hanging your hat on right now.
Speaker 1: S Garrett in Japan and no leadership. Everything we talked about is Cleveland. They're five seasons. If you're a Cleveland fan or if you're a Cleveland you know, a member of the media, everything that was talked about, of course isn't happening. We expect Miles to step with media leader. He goes to Japan, everybody freaks out. It means nothing but it's so wonderful because it's Cleveland and it always keeps us entertained. And now they have seven quarterbacks. We're gonna play them all. Uh, we will see what happens. We'll touch on the Panthers next time around, because I think it's too early to tell. That division is always crazy. Just one more thing though, this Saints. The Derek Carr situation. That is fascinating in a way because the guy wasn't hurt, but then he was and he didn't have the surgery. Was he just ready to quit? What's the story with Carr? And when are they going to finally as a wholesale you know, effort tear it down and build it right or does the salary cap just not batter anymore?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think no, it does matter. I think you're seeing you're seeing the effects of it right now. I think I think this is when they're gonna start tanking a little bit. I think this is I think the Saints are and the Browns are, you know, two of the worst teams in football right now. They're probably fighting for that number one overall pay it's really them and the Browns that have no idea what to doing that quarterback right now, if you want to throw the Colts in that mix to at least the Colts, you know, are hoping Richardson could be the guy. And then they have Daniel Jose's backup. The Saints right now are throwing out Tyler Shuck. Wow. I didn't love coming out of Loutsville. I won't lie to you guys. And he's gonna start day one as a rookie. I just don't love that at all for him. So, yeah, they're gonna be pretty bad next year. And I would expect New Orleans to have a top five pick in the draft. And honestly, I mean you look at the draft next year. You got a couple of quarterbacks there that have a lot of ties to that organization. You got arch Manning, who might or might not declare for the draft. Obviously, his grandpa, Archie Manning, is the second greatest quarterback in Saints' history, only by Drew Brees. And then you have Garrett nust Meyer, the LSU quarterback who not only is playing in Louisiana or the state of New Orleans, but also his dad, Doug nust Meyer, is the offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints. Right now as well. So it's gonna be really interesting to see what New Orleans does next year. I don't think Tyler Schuck is gonna be the franchise quarterback for them unless he has a great year next year. You could be looking at a New Orleans taking a top five pick at a quarterback next year too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Panthers fans right now are just saying, hey, be just good enough to be bad, and just be just bad enough to not be that bad. That's a frightening thought. Arch or Nusts down there, You're right, his dad's on staff, and we think Arch is going to be a superstar. We just hope, as Panthers guys, it's somewhere else. We will see how that works out. Max Chadwick, one of the great analysts in the business, covers the college football scene for PFF and does a great job with the draft and covering the NFL as well. What are you up to these days? And where can we find the work? We all know where to find it. Let's just uh, let's actively promote it.
Speaker 2: No, I appreciate that. Yeah, I host the PFF College Football Show. We host that twice a week right now. Kind of going over a bunch of rankings where we just finished ranking every position in college football, the top ten players at every position.
Speaker 1: You were. You were very good at Clemson, by the way I saw your Clemson rankings. My goodness, that front behind.
Speaker 2: Listen. I'm not trying to my own horror, but I've picked it back to back national champions in Ohio State and Michigan preseason, so I got both of them, right, I am leaning towards Clempston right.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god. Oh, somebody pull the fire alarm again. The big y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are. They are loaded next year. But yeah, talking a lot of Clemson football. And we're actually going to preview every single team in college and in the power for on our channel very soon. So I'm very excited to do all that very very soon.
Speaker 1: You're the best, Max. Thanks for making time, man, Thank you, appreciate you guys,