Speaker 1: Mac. I heard a great would you rather? Oh really the Jones and Keith Show today Now, of course be invented that. We invented everything that has ever been done on podcasts or on radio. H it's the future of radio, you jabronis. But the question was would you rather be a were wolf or a dracula?
Speaker 2: So to me, there's a there's a clear answer here, but I have to consider so instantly in is werewolf? But really with where Yeah, with werewolf you don't really get into extra curriculars, no real powers. You know, if you're a dracula, you get some powers. There's like a power set there, so that is intriguing. However, if you're a dracula, there's a lot of like weaknesses and it affects you every day, whereas if you're a were wolf, you're just really dealing with the transformation like once a month.
Speaker 1: Couple of times I was gonna say, how is your pain tolerance? Because what is it? Every thirty ish days we have the full moon? Sure, transforming into a werewolf that is very, very painful. We've seen that many of times.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is or not. I can't say that with certainty. I would say, so I just know that, I would say at least once a month. I'm already waking up in a blur and not knowing where I fell asleep, so I'm sort of accustomed to that. So I'd fall into the werewolf life pretty easily. I feel like waking up new in like a park obviously wouldn't be great, but also I would rather deal with the ramifications of that than like never being able to go out in the sun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, if you're a werewolf, don't you have memory loss of what you did as the werewolf? You could have some blood on your hands.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, because at some point you end up with like a professor health situation.
Speaker 1: Right now, are you telling me that all the werewolves are lying? I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: Kid. At some point you can sort of maybe become one. Remember that show on MTV like a decade ago or was it something with teen Wolf might have been called teen Wolf. I think they could actively turn into were wolves in that show. So I think it's some point maybe you harness that it isn't just a full moon thing. But I think there's more that can go wrong with Dracula than there is with werewolf, So I go were wolf.
Speaker 1: But does being a werewolf get you laid?
Speaker 2: No? I think you could. You're You're more fuckable as a dracula for sure.
Speaker 1: One good three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, job three, King of Queen, Marl Street.
Speaker 1: Entertain Goo and I am Mac and we are the Mac and Goo program. We bring you friendship.
Speaker 2: Yup, and today we are bringing you U some disappointment amongst uh uh goo and ay. As friends, we're gonna be talking about uh television programs that have been notoriously snubbed at the Emmys. Of course, the Yemmys were this last week, and you and I knew all about them. That's why we're doing it after the Emmys, not before the Emmys.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, this is either a very timely podcast or we should have done it two weeks ago. A week ago. But like we said in our last news dump, we thought that they were announcing Emmy nominations on Sunday. We didn't realize it was the actual Emmys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, we just missed the boat on that. And again we did talk about it a couple of weeks ago as well. It's been a relatively light year for TV, so maybe we're just not in touch with television this year. But that said, historically, we're very in touch with television historically, Big TV guy not so much these days.
Speaker 1: Now I've fallen out of love. No, I'm sorry I have I've not fallen out of love. I have no time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you used to be the TV guy of the program, and now I think I watched more TV than you do.
Speaker 1: You know what I used to love was multitasking, playing a nice game of Madden while watching a sitcom?
Speaker 2: Is that why you sucked at Madden?
Speaker 1: I don't really good rank in Madden twelve, which one had Drew Brees on the cover.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, maybe in that range.
Speaker 1: I had an amazing online rank in that. So you can go ahead and bite your tongue, goude.
Speaker 2: How do you want to kick this off? Do you want to talk.
Speaker 1: About let me? Should I cite my sources? Because everyone cares about sources these days. So I went through Indie Wire, TV Line, Collider, Yahoo, and I went ham on the Emmy's website. Of I just started typing in any show that I could think of, and I got all these results.
Speaker 2: You know, it's way easier than all that just going to the show on IMDb and it lists all the nominations that the show has.
Speaker 1: You can do the exact same thing on the Emmy's website, okay, and it also tells you who was nominated for certain things every year. It's a little bit easier. I don't know if it is, so what I want to start with before we get to the let's call them fucking losers. Sure, here are some that also pop out to me as like we've gotten a little more love and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Now, I am talking about the twelve thirty program on NBC, not the one that where he went to eleven or when he went to TBS.
Speaker 2: This was the great one which ran from roughly what ninety three to like eight.
Speaker 1: I think it was eight or seven, but it was nominated twenty eight times. It won one Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Music or Comedy Program. That happened in twenty oh seven.
Speaker 2: What year did Kimmel get the Late night show on ABC?
Speaker 1: Early two thousands? It might have been like four or five.
Speaker 2: There was a time early Kimmel and Late Conan where they were easily the two best at late night and they had just simply surpassed Letterman and Leno, and it was it felt like these award shows just failed to recognize that, and it was pretty frustrating because at least the youths were watching those two shows and the older folk were watching less well.
Speaker 1: But also, this award, this Outstanding Variety Music Comedy, I'm pretty sure that you're also going up against The Daily Show every year, Yeah, which wins I think almost every single year. And I want to say that SNL falls into that too.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, yeah, you might be right about that.
Speaker 1: But either way, this is after Conan was named to the Tonight program. So I also feel like this was NBC being like, hey, here's an award because you're our new guy.
Speaker 2: Hm, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It might be a little bit of pain your dues if you will curb your enthusiasm one of your favorite shows, Mac your favorite? Is this your favorite comedy of all time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's this or The Office. I'd probably lean Curb Office number two.
Speaker 1: I'm about to go to the Office in a second, Yes, but.
Speaker 2: I would say Curb. I think Curb is the best comedy of all time, and I think it's the most consistent from beginning from season one to the final season, out of any comedy you could ever name it, I guess you could argue there's lulls in there, but it is. It's the most comedy that's ever been on television. And the fact that it never won, or the fact that Larry David, now I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna get to that, blows my mind. How many seasons is it? Thirteen?
Speaker 2: I think they just finished with their twelve or thirteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So it's been nominated fifty five times, and you know, miscellaneous awards and whatnot. It has won twice, one for a single cam directional show and then also a Directing Award two. Larry David has never won an Emmy for the show. Now I understand maybe why the show hasn't won for writing, because it's it's like loosely written correct and then they kind of fill in.
Speaker 2: The gap, so it's a lot of improv.
Speaker 1: You'd argue that Larry's doing a lot of acting here, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Would say, if it's not gonna win anything for writing, that only strengthens Larry's argument for actor because he's doing it on the flyoff. And on top of this, Susie is one of the greatest television characters of all time. The fact that she never never won is insane to me. It's just this show has been so historically snubbed, and it blows my mind because Seinfeld was so loved.
Speaker 1: Now, The Office has won five Emmy Awards, but you know who never won one, Steve Carrell.
Speaker 2: Now Here, Here's what I'll say. I think that Curb is superior to the Office, but I think that Steve Carell's Michael Scott is probably maybe Walter White, but probably the best character in television history. And it's insane to me, especially after you saw the effects that he had on the show when he left, that he never they should have went back and gave gave him award for one of those first seven seasons because the show falls off so drastically just removing that character. It blows my absolute fucking mind that Steve Carell never won.
Speaker 1: I also, I'm trying to think of who was in the acting category at that time. I know that Alec Baldwin won a bunch for thirty Rock. Let's go that thirty Rock.
Speaker 2: Thirty Rock didn't come out to what oh seven or oh eight?
Speaker 1: Do you want to win?
Speaker 2: The Office had already been out for a few years.
Speaker 1: Winners Tony Shalub, So, first year the office is what four five? So the next year Tony Shalub.
Speaker 2: That was from Monk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony Shalub, Kelsey Grammer and John Lithgow like reign Supreme upon the Don't.
Speaker 2: Get me wrong, Monk's a decent show. But at a certain point you can't just keep giving the same guy the fucking award.
Speaker 1: Ricky Gervais for extras, Okay, that's a fair one. Alec Baldwin won two straight for Jack Donneghe is that seven o eight? Yes, uh no, eight oh nine okay, And then the next two went to I couldn't think of his goddamn oh here bazinga, Jim Parson back to back.
Speaker 2: Maybe Christ that show is insanely bad. That's a bad show, but I digress. The fact that you give it to Jack doneghe in another NBC sitcom over Michael Scott blows my mind. But you know that those fart sniffing award presenters love that. It's a parody of SNL and shows like that, Where's Michael Scott? And yes, it isn't necessarily the most original character because it's based off of Ricky Gervais's character in The British Office. It just blows my mind that you would look at those two NBC sitcoms and not give it to Michael Scott and give it to Jack Donneghe.
Speaker 1: You know what I do like. And Steve Carell was not nominated in twenty twelve, he was no longer on the Office. But you know who won in twenty twelve, Oh John Cryer. And I'm not even a giant fan of Two and a Half Men or that character, but you know what I like, John Cryer?
Speaker 2: All right? Is that? So that just might be Hey, Charlie Sheen went insane. Now we feel reward to pitch Charlie Sheen off.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sticking around, Bud, because.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it was. I think that was the first season after Charlie Sheen left YEP.
Speaker 1: And then finally a show that has won one Emmy and this is our favorite show that's on television right now, I would say, and that is The Boys. It has won one for stunt coordination. How has Anthony Starr not gotten any credit?
Speaker 2: It's absolutely unbelievable. And were now like years into the superhero show so it's not like they're brand new. You're gonna have to start to accept these as mainstream and Anthony Starr Anthony Starr, however, you say it's Anthony eight, so I'm sure it's just Anthony he is. I mean, I just talked about Michael Scott, Larry David. He's on the short list for Greatest Television Characters of all time, never mind in the last ten years, twenty years of all time. Every time he's on screen, he's easily the best character in the scene. It just I don't know how a critic could watch that show and maybe they aren't maybe that's the issue, and not have him nominated, and then not even or not have them nominated, and beyond that, not have him win for Best Actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's not nominated for either supporting or Maine because I was also a questioned is he a supporting actor? You look at maybe Carl Urbin or what's his name there, Little Hughey possibly as the main character.
Speaker 2: First season or two, you could argue he's supporting, but now he's surely the main actor there.
Speaker 1: Rules he's the fucking best. All right, Let's go on to some shows that have not won the ones that this episode is titled best shows to not win an Emmy, So let's give the people what they came for. The prior five minutes. Bullshit, unprofessional bullshit. It's horrible manure. Okay, So a show that I loved, it only ran. It ran for two seasons, then it came back. I haven't had a chance to catch up on the newer stuff, but Party Down, which was a Stars comedy zero nominations in its two season run, slash, I'm not sure if they've even counted the new stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Party Down's a blind spot for me. I am aware of the show. I've never seen a single episode, but everyone that talks about this show loves this show.
Speaker 1: Love that show. The Wire. Have you ever heard of The Wire?
Speaker 2: I would say, if you don't say Breaking Badge the greatest show of all time, you might say The Wire is. What I would say about that is I think the highs of Breaking bad are much higher than in the Wire. However, I have never watched a show as well written, or as deep or as leveled as the as The Wire was, and that's even watching with hindsight. I watched it during COVID, so it holds up well. It's one of the best acted series of all times. I do not know, and don't get me wrong. This was early HBO show days, so maybe they didn't have as much credit as they do now. I don't know how this didn't get nominated for everything all the time.
Speaker 1: Mac, close your eyes for a second. Oh how many nominations do you think The Wire got during its four season run?
Speaker 2: Five seasons?
Speaker 1: Five season run? I need to catch up, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: I already saw it.
Speaker 1: It's more of a memory thing. Two two nominations insane, and it lost both, one to mad Men and then one to The Sopranos.
Speaker 2: So that's always a good litmus test for me, is how people feel about mad Men, because if you love mad Men, I don't think I like you.
Speaker 1: Mad Men got off to a real hot start, though I really like the first season of mad Men, and then as as John Ham, you know, dives more into his depravity, I get get a little ickier. But then once he finds his second wife, I like her until I don't like her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that show just never did it for me. Okay, and I get and that's that's a classic show that's gonna win awards because it's a period piece and whatnot, and the accuracy of all that shit obviously matters, and it should. However, as far as drama went, I was not intrigued by anything in that show.
Speaker 1: Also, people that lived during that time fucking love that show.
Speaker 2: They do, which it does tell you how well made made it is.
Speaker 1: So if you make any show about the nineties right now, look at my thumbs. Mack, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Come? Who comes up?
Speaker 1: I didn't do that, guys. For people only listening to the podcast, I didn't come my pants.
Speaker 2: By the way. The other note here, the wire lost to.
Speaker 1: House in two thousand and five, is that what I have?
Speaker 2: House? Lost a house? Are you ball sacking me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It lost a house and O five and then mad Men Away House and then keep in mind for me, keep in mind for nominations. This is during the time where Sopranos was cleaning up.
Speaker 2: House, house, fucking a house.
Speaker 1: Beat the wires house, MD, Jesus, you could solve any problem. Yeah, sure, and he had a cane. Let's go on to BoJack Horseman. This was a show that I loved the first three to four seasons of and then it just became horribly depressing and I could not watch this cartoon anymore. It has received three nominations in its lifetime and it's now done. It's done six seasons. It was nominated for Best Animated Program in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty. It somehow, this shouldn't even be allowed. In twenty nineteen, it lost to The Simpsons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't make any fucking sense. I don't get that Simpsons hasn't been good in twenty years. I will say, you're other. Note on here, the other show lost to Rick and Morty. Rick and Morty, in my mind, is vastly superior to BoJack. But I do get the argument for what BoJack's going.
Speaker 1: Also in twenty twenty, that's when Rick and Morty is that its height very true. And then it also lost for a voice acting performance by Kirsten Shall in twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Shaw is great.
Speaker 1: I will admit that she's amazing. Okay, this show right here possibly the best sketch comedy show of all time. It only had a very short run two and a half seasons. But Chappelle's show got three nominations. It was nominated for Outstanding Variety Music or Comedy Series and then Writing for Variety Music. But lost to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: It was the most popular comedy show on the planet. And it's a shame that Chappelle or any of the writers or anyone in that show never won anything. However, like you said, shine bright so quickly and then it died. I think if it had come back, if he had made that comeback, it was going to start winning stuff. It just never really gave itself the chance.
Speaker 1: A show that is this the longest running live action show of all time, now, live action sitcom of all time.
Speaker 2: I don't. I'm not sure you would know.
Speaker 1: I believe it is so starting in twenty oh five, it's still running right now. It's always sunny in Philadelphia. Has only been nominated three times in its run, and all three nominations are for stunt coordination.
Speaker 2: And I believe they never got nominated until after they had an whole episode talking about Yeah, they had never been nominated, and that was Everybody Loves the Louis five years ago, six years ago.
Speaker 1: Everyone loves the show Louis, but they hate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. And it's almost better that this show hasn't won, because it's always been the underdog. And I do love this show. It is funny it is. This is a show that I do understand why critics wouldn't nominate for anything. However, if the general public jen pop was voting on stuff, this would have won numerous times.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to five. It has lost to Everybody Loves Raymond. First off, That tells you how long this show has been on the air. Right, It lost to Everybody Loves Raymond? The Office, thirty Rock multiple times, Modern Family multiple times, Deep multiple times, The Marvelous Missus masl F Shit's Creek, Ted Lasso, and The Bear.
Speaker 2: I will say I prefer The Office over it. I prefer Veep over it. Shit's Creek might be a toss up. So it is losing the shows that are mostly deserving. I've actually I always enjoyed Modern Family, going back and rewatching Modern Family, I really like that show too. No, I don't mind it losing to that either. So that's just a tough cop. No.
Speaker 1: But you could also look at like like, why isn't Caitlyn Olson or why isn't like maybe I understand, like well, but later Rob mcelhaney stuff could possibly be put up there, or Danny DeVito as supporting actor Charlie day is supporting actor.
Speaker 2: And especially if none If you guys have never looked at the Emmys website, there are awards for a thousand things every year, and the fact that it couldn't win one thing is mind blowing.
Speaker 1: All Right, this next two I have no notes on. I don't even have the nominations for the second note for the second show. But it boggles my mind that the Bob Knew Show and then New Heart. So this is six seasons and then eight seasons, so fourteen years of Bob Newhart being on sitcom television no Emmy wins.
Speaker 2: It's really fucking weird to think about how often it is referenced or ripped off by award winning shows and even by critics who are reviewing other shows, and the fact that it never was awarded anything. It doesn't make a lot of sense because New Heart is the inspiration for a lot of things in today's shows in over the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: But also like television studios liked the Bob Newhart Show so much that they said, let's do the exact same thing, but for eight years this time.
Speaker 2: For even longer.
Speaker 1: Yes, the next show is I think one of your favorites active this was on your top fifty television shows of all time questions.
Speaker 2: So this show, the first four seasons are awesome and then it slowly, slowly beat you up the rest of the way. But the first four seasons of Sons of Anarchy is what we're talking about, are pretty pretty great. Now.
Speaker 1: I do believe that Katie Sagal won a Golden Globe for this. By the way, these shows might have won Golden Globes, we only care about Emmy's right now. We're taking down the establishment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of these have won Globes and SAgs. Yeah, we're talking specific Emmys.
Speaker 1: So Sons of Anarchy has only had five nominations, and one of them was for Original Main Title Theme Music in twenty oh nine.
Speaker 2: The funny part is most the four of these five nominations came when the show kind of got bad. The show kind of sucked by the.
Speaker 1: Time, almost like a legacy of like, hey, thanks for your prior work.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, I if no one knows the story, I actually stopped watching Sons of Aaronarchy. Believe it's five episodes into season five when it's something very significant happens. When at the end of season four they don't kill a certain character, and then they go and kill my favorite character at the beginning of season five. Really pissed me off, and it really showed you what they were gonna do. They were gonna keep making episodes just basically for money, is what I felt like, and that's really what ended up happening. So they get ended up running nine seasons, and I would say there's more bad than good, really, but yeah, the first four seasons are pretty great.
Speaker 1: Okay, a show that I know you can't really get through. But if you're talking about comedy sitcoms in the twenty tens, New Girl did it for seven years, and Max Greenfield, although he was nominated once, maybe should have got a little more love.
Speaker 2: Max Greenfield, to me, is the funniest part of the show by the miles. So I agree with you wholeheartedly there. This is not a show I dislike. This is just a show that has repeatedly been over sold to me. So a couple times I've tried to watch it, I just it doesn't it doesn't quite jive with what people say, so I just stopped watching.
Speaker 1: That's all five nominations, and I'm also although Zoe Deschanel, she was nomed. But this is also during a time where Tina Fay is still going for thirty Rock, Amy Pohlar is going for Parks and rec and we'll get to Amy Pohler in a second, and Julia Louis Dreyfus soon will be doing Veep.
Speaker 2: So yeah, fucked, no real shot.
Speaker 1: There a show that I loved on HBO and it was only on there for two years and it did get nine nominations, so credit to them there, but never won. The Flight of the Concords.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just a show that's off the beaten path that I don't even think anyone would be upset it never won because it was never that popular. But it's certainly one of those shows that if someone you fight, this is the opposite to me talk about litmus test for mad Men. If I find out someone likes Flight of the Concords, immediately.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you want me to, I'd make love with you. That's why I loved that first Muppet movie that came out in twenty eleven, because it was all Brett mackenzie music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it sounded just like flying.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is just Flight of the Concords, but with muppets, this is fantastic. Another show that I watched way too much of you sure did. I did, And it was nominated eight times, and it's sick for seven season run. And that is Empire, Fox's Empire. And while I don't think the show deserves an Emmy, or really most of the cast deserves an Emmy. Taraji p Henson was great on the show and she was nommed twice. But give Taraji a little love.
Speaker 2: I love me some Taraji p Henson. I give Taraji love all the time, just behind and closing your mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. A show that's still on the air started at nineteen ninety nine. It's not a sitcom, but it is animated. It has been nominated ten times. And that is SpongeBob square Pants.
Speaker 2: Now, don't get me wrong, I haven't watched an episode of SpongeBob in maybe fifteen years, but there are some pretty amazing and significant episodes of SpongeBob that I am stunned hasn't garnered it an Emmy win. And the show is so significant in general. Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten a legacy win at this point.
Speaker 1: Not only that, like, there's so many episodes that I could sit down with I could find funny, and then my son who's four could also find funny. A teenager also find funny.
Speaker 2: YEP, I totally agree. It's it's actually kind of mind blowing that SpongeBob has not won and only ten nams over twenty five years. That's insane.
Speaker 1: Nominated thirteen times nineteen sixty six through nineteen sixty nine, The og Star Trek.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's kind of isn't that kind of weird that for time and place and being as like new sci fi thing, that it didn't win anything.
Speaker 1: Like some kind of like prop design or something like. I understand maybe not acting or something, but.
Speaker 2: Right, and maybe they didn't have as many many awards back then, but that is a little bizarre and.
Speaker 1: Never won stage design, stunt coordination, something like that. I never really watched The Good Place? Did you watch The Good Place?
Speaker 2: So I've watched the first season The Good Place, and it's one of those shows that, unfortunately, it feels really telegraphed. I know, there's this whole big twist ending the season one. It's just I don't know, it's not lazy I'm not calling it lazy, it's just any I felt like anyone that has watched a good amount of TV could tell where this show is going.
Speaker 1: It has been nominated or was nominated thirteen times. Never won. A show that was nominated fourteen times and never picked up a single Emmy is Parks in Recreation that ran from nine to fifteen. And I think it really just has more to do with bad timing, because you could also say it was never the best comedy on television, and I don't think you could really argue that because when it started out, Thirty Rock was still dominating, The Office was still on, and then it ran during Modern Families fucking dominance and then Veep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that really is tough timing. And I think Parks and Recreation is one of those shows that actually got more popular via streaming, upon rewatches and people really figuring out how much they had either missed or how much they underrated it. That show. But I will say when you compare it to those shows Modern Family, Veep, The Office, and Thirty Rock, I think Parks and RECs peak is much shorter than those shows. It's got like two and a half seasons that are really great and then the outside of those two and a half aren't so great, so that hurts it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Amy Poehler did get numbed a bunch of times, but so I believe she lost to maybe Tina Fey, maybe Julie Bowen or something like that. And then once Julia Louis Dreyfe has started to win, that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now let's get to the show that was nominated fifty three times and never won a god damn thing. And yes, it is a spin off. But some might say that it's better than the original show, and that is better call Saul.
Speaker 2: Some people would make that argument. I would not. However, I would make the argument of the final two seasons are of Breaking Bad. Quality is this is insane to me that a show being this well written, this well acted, this thrilling could never win an Emmy and it's seven eight years on screen. I think it was seven seasons total. Not only was Bob Odenkirk one of the best characters on television for a long time, Breaking Bad included this show was phenomenal. It introduces ray A Seahorn as his love interest in the show, who's also great, and she does an unbelievable job. She goes Tit for tat with Odinkirk. But the one that really stole it to me and the one that I thought they would finally get over the hump for is Tony Dalton plays Lolo Salamanca in the final tool seasons and a little bit in season five as well. I don't know how he like. To me, he was the best character on the show for two seasons, and even when you consider the whole Breaking Bad universe, besides Gus, you could argue he was the best character in the whole Breaking Bad universe. So it's absolutely fucking mind blowing to me that he didn't win an Emmy. He was nominated for SAG Best Supporting Actor Award, he didn't eve get nominated for an Emmy. Go, that's just that's insane to me, And that's what really told me that this show is never gonna win an Emmy. When he never got nominated. Was that's insane, absolutely insane. I mean, this show, this show is an all time great show. It may be a step or a half step below Breaking Bad, but when a show is that good for that long and for it to get better as the seasons, when it went along as not a lot of shows do. I don't know how it doesn't win. I don't know how it does it get a Legacy Award at the end.
Speaker 1: Either you ready for this? It lost for Best Drama Series two Game of Thrones season six, fair enough, the handsmade tail, Handmade's tail.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I first wrote this, I accidentally wrote t A I L. And I'm like, that'd be a funny series. Game of throwne season seven.
Speaker 2: Now that's the second to last season, so.
Speaker 1: You're catching me. Then it lost to season eight of Game of Thrones, Insane, the one that most people don't like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's insane.
Speaker 1: Succession the Crown. I do know, Yeah, Succession, Succession.
Speaker 2: Listen. Succession is good. It's a good show. Better call Saul is better. It's a better show. It's more thrilling, there's more things going on, there's more moving parts. And I get, yes, it is a quote unquote spinoff, and maybe that's what just hurt this forever. But for it to lose three times to Game of Thrones and three times to Succession, that makes no sense.
Speaker 1: You couldn't find, you know, a little spot for it.
Speaker 2: I'll let people argue that Game of Thrones is better the way better call sall finishes on the highest of highs. To me, that would make it superior. But again, I never watched Game of Thrones, so that maybe maybe you can decide that. I just don't know how it doesn't get one, doesn't sneak one in there.
Speaker 1: Bob Odenkirk in the years that he was nominated lost two Ronnie Mallick and Mister Robot, Sterling k Brown and This is Us, Billy Porter in Poe's, Jeremy Strong in succession, Lee Jong in squid Game, and Kieran Culkin in succession.
Speaker 2: So you can give two succession guys an award, and you can't give Odinkirk one. I mean stelling Brown every time he's nominated, I feel like he's gonna win something, and he probably deserves it every time. I'm not upset about that.
Speaker 1: I mean he was the main reason to watch This is Us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen Poe. I'm sure Billy Porter was great, obviously, squid Wayne Squid Game took the world by Skier Grammy Malick was decent in the first season of Mister Robot. I will admit that. But Bobo and kirk Man fuck God.
Speaker 1: And then ray A Seahorn In the two years that she was nominated for Supporting Actress, she lost to Julia Gardner in Ozark. Yeah, and then Jennifer Coolidge in White Lotus.
Speaker 2: By the way, the fact that ray Seahorn was only nominated twice as a travesty as well. She looked so good throughout the whole series.
Speaker 1: I love Jennifer Coolidge, but it's all kind of a joke, right, yeah?
Speaker 2: Do we need to give White Lotus an award?
Speaker 1: White Lotus won a bunch of awards.
Speaker 2: All right? Do we need to give Jennifer Coolidge an acting award for White Lotus? Do we? Well?
Speaker 1: I like her. She you know, she wanted a hot dog real bad.
Speaker 2: So frustrating. Let's get into.
Speaker 1: Mac Sack and mack sac could be anything. It could be a boat. And I wrote down the question. It was real simple. I said, mac Agatha and the Penguin are starting right now, and what are you watching on television? And you went ahead and did a bunch of notes so you can tell me what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yeah. First of all, part of the impetus for this episode was Agatha and Penguin kicking off this week. I'm certainly more looking forward to Penguin, but there have been some real positive reports in Agatha, so I'm looking forward to both, and I'm looking forward to catching them each and every week for the next I don't know what eight weeks however, one weeks. But I figured, well, this will use this as an opportunity to take a quick history, quick history lesson, quick trip down memory lane for Marvel shows Patty Emmys. Yeah, and this is pretty interesting, So just real quick, there was obviously Marvel shows on network network television before Netflix. We had Agents of Shield that did get two nominations for Outstanding Visual Effects, didn't win. We get to the Netflix shows, Go Daredevil, Jefs Jones, Luke Cage, Ironfist, The Defenders, and The Punisher. Yeah, and there was actually a couple of wins in here. None for Daredevil. Daredevil was nomb five.
Speaker 1: This is crazy because the hallway scene and the stairway scene, stunt coordination come.
Speaker 2: On and again the Emmys they give out awards for like singular episodes too, so that's also another reason to height to highlight how how that didn't win anything. Jess Jones was nominated three times, did win but it's kind of a bullshit one. It one for Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music, so sure.
Speaker 1: But we've already won that three times.
Speaker 2: Luke Cage. One for one Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie. Clearly, no nominations for Iron Fists, that's not surprising, one nomination for The Defenders, one nomination for The Punisher, but overall, two wins for the Netflix shows, and uh yeah, I think that sounds about right. Those were all solid. I think people really really like Daredevil, and a lot of people really like Just Jones, but that's not totally surprising, and they didn't last forever, so no chance at a legacy award on to Disney. Plus WandaVision was twenty twenty, right, I believe that happened pandemic Yeah, yeah, so WandaVision kicks it off real hot. Twenty three nominations go for WandaVision, And I'm not the biggest WandaVision fan, but I recognize why critics would love this show, especially the first four episodes of the show. It ended up with three Emmy wins for Outstanding Fantasy Sci Fi Costumes, Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics, for Agatha all Along and Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program half hour. I guess they differentiate between a full hour and half hour. Falcon and went to Soldier got five norms, no wins, Loki nine norms, no wins, Hawkeye two noms, no wins, Moonnight eight nominations and did win. Got a win for Outstanding Sound Editing, Miss Marvel four norms, one win Outstanding Motion Design, She Helped no norms, Secret Invasion no norms. Those were back to back. That's a tough stretch. So if you're counting at home, that's now three Marvel shows. She Hulks, Secret Invasion, and Iron Frist did not get any norms, and somehow, some way Echo squeaked out a nomination.
Speaker 1: How what was it for?
Speaker 2: I don't know, I didn't care.
Speaker 1: Good research.
Speaker 2: If you want to include what if in there. It did get three nominations, and we did get one win. That was for Chadwick Boseman for Outstanding Character Voiceover Performance, and it was awarded posthumously to him, So I think that did play a little bit in it. So Insummation Free Shows didn't receive a nomination out of the fifteen or sixteen, we talked about Iron Fish, She Helps Secret Invasion. The only show to win more than one Emmy was WandaVision. That is a little surprising, but zero acting awards unless you want to include Bozeman's voice acting win for what If. That's a little surprising, which means that tells you I think Marvel's TV shows still has something to shoot for. You know, as successful as WandaVision was, they're still shooting for something. So maybe that bodes well for the future. And if you want to talk DC shows, because the Penguin's upcoming Peacemaker got one nomination, how about that.
Speaker 1: Batman the animated series actually one for Outstanding Animated Series.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So you want that top in my head?
Speaker 2: You want?
Speaker 1: You want some more? Don't ask for anymore. I don't have any more.
Speaker 2: Mac.
Speaker 1: Where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and Instagram, at Mac and Goo Pat Poet podcast that is Mac Shift seven and and I'm Losing My Mind Today Goo That includes Facebook, Stitcher, Tune and Casparks Speaker, Google Play, iHeartRadio. We are on Spotify, but more importantly we're on Apple podcast. Get on their rate review subscribe five Stars. If you do that, we'll get your free Mack and You T shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports where that's Watertown Sports. We're on thirty four Mod Auburn Street in Watertown. Watertownsportswear dot Com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Hey Alexa pay Macngo Movie Club on the iHeartRadio app. Give it a second. If you're on YouTube right now, thumbs up, like subscribe. Do you know where all the buttons are?
Speaker 2: I think I think the subscribe is below me.
Speaker 1: I'm on YouTube a lot, and I have no idea where any of the buttons are.
Speaker 2: I think it's the lower right of the videos.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this way, this.
Speaker 2: Way, we're on pointing over here.
Speaker 1: This is like a weatherman scenario. I don't know which way the country is behind me, So so do that leave a nice comment please. Also, news dump at the beginning of next week, and then I'm not sure what we're doing at the end of next week, but the people want oc tierber back, so we've already gotten one tweet about it, so lock Tiber might be on its way back.
Speaker 2: All right. That's one vote for oc Tiber, zero votes for everything. Else, So we just need two tweets. Two tweets will get you the win.
Speaker 1: That's all we need. That's all we need, So check us out next week. Tuesdays are Goose Days, I Abuse Kangaroos, Tie Burton.
Speaker 2: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines.