Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call as we start a Thursday night edition of Nightside. We'll be here with you all the way unto midnight, or just about all the way until midnight. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside with Dan Ray. We will be talking with Congressman Seth Moulton, the Democratic congressman from the North Shore. We'll talk a little bit about the election from last week, which was obviously disappointing to Democrats, perhaps not in Massachusetts. All the Democrats in the House who are up for reelection here survived, but nationally the Democrats took a bit of a beating, and Seth Maulten has had some comments about maybe the direction of the party and how the party needs to focus on some issues that may be of greater concern to most Americans. We'll explore that with Seth Moulton a little bit later on tonight at ten o'clock, we are going to talk about the cabinet nominations of President Trump. President elect Trump, but he's also a former president, so we can call him president elect or President. I'll decide. I think we'll call him president. That's easier. It's one of a couple of less syllables, and lots of interesting nominations have come forward, some of very well known individuals, including Robert F. Kennedy Junior, and also a very controversial congressman from Florida. We'll get to all of that a little bit later, but first we have our Nightside News update, and we talk on this program often about addiction and people addiction of different types. We're going to talk with an author whose name is faust Orgio fous Razio. Welcome to Nightside, Sarah. How are you Dan?
Speaker 3: Thanks for inviting me? I am well. How about yourself?
Speaker 2: Doing great? Doing great? Now? You have written a series of books deal with addiction, and as I understand, is this your fifth book in this series.
Speaker 3: This is the fifth book in this series, just published yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, good timing, good timing, and you the name of this book is Road to Recovery, Fixed Your Fix your Addiction. But from my reading of what I've seen, you are a big believer or a big proponent in that individuals can also address their addictions and maybe maybe with some work, fix those addictions. Am I reading you correctly?
Speaker 3: You're close? You know I'm really a proponent of getting help. It comes down to you in the end. But you know, you want to have program guides to get you through this theme point you in the right direction, that it's yours.
Speaker 2: Right, But so when you in order to make that decision if you're in an addicted state, most people who are in an addicted state pursue the dragon, or pursue the addiction, however you want to call it. How can people who realize that they're dealing with an addiction. And by the way, it doesn't have to be an addiction of drugs or alcohol. There's other types of addiction. Correct.
Speaker 3: Absolutely in my book, we've got seventeen that I cover.
Speaker 2: Okay, drugs and alcohol obviously are amongst the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous, But there are other addictions that can cause, you know, problems. Just till a couple more out so people will get a sense of the breath of your book. Some of the other addictions you deal with.
Speaker 3: Food addiction is another addiction, exercise addiction. You know, there's just so many, so many different things that people do. Even self abuse can become an addiction.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk about alcohol and drug addiction. How does someone who realizes they have a problem, how did they know what to do? Where to go? I mean, if you're addicted, your judgment is, by I guess, necessarily impacted. So what advice do you have for people who might be listening tonight who are addicted but have not reached out for help? Where can they go? What can they do?
Speaker 3: You know, that first step is always important, and I always tell people if you're not sure, make an appointment with your primary care physicians. Start there and just be honest with that person. If in fact there's something there, he's going to help you. He or she is going to help you deal with the physical part of it. And then usually they have referrals, you know, psychologists maybe that deals with addiction, addiction facilities, hospitals, things like that. But just get yourself to the point that you take that first step. Start with your doctor.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is that simple and it's straightforward. So then Weird does your you as the addicted person? Weird does your role comman? You start with it, you want to stay with it, But tell us what people will learn from you books that they from this particular book, but also even your previous books that they don't perhaps understand or fully comprehend.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, I write my books like people are going to be in a counseling session, so I don't make it, you know, laden with language. I give them seven or eight pages on a topic, and then I give them the exact steps to do. And if you follow those steps, things can work out for you because stay committed like anything else. But that's what I do with everything. So with all those addictions, I give the information. I give the information and the steps about what you can do to make it better. And at the end of the book, I've got twelve chapters of a program. Follow this program it applies to any addiction. Give you all the steps in every chapter and can get you right to the point that you're working a recovery program.
Speaker 2: What percentage of people in your experience who actually not necessarily follow your book, but who actually are addicted and decide that they are going to try to beat that monkey on their back or the dragon however however people view it. What percentage of people who are really committed to beating the addiction can beat it? What is thet the potential success rate?
Speaker 3: I asume no, it's not, and it's enough and down battle. Some people will relapse. The key is that you go into this understanding it's a lifetime proposition. If you have an addiction, it's not just about the drug or the activity. You probably have that addictive personality. Neurologically, things are a little bit different. You attach to things and you hold on to them. So you want to know it's a commitment you're going to make. If you are willing to do the work, make the commitment. Keep it on a day to day basis. The prognosis is excellent. If you decide that you want to cheat a little bit, well then you cut your odds down.
Speaker 2: Boy, I'll tell you, how long have you been doing this? Sounds like you've been a.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not around the wild.
Speaker 2: So so how can people get the book is out? I'm assuming you get it at bookstores or probably the easiest way always is Amazon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, you can get there anywhere there. Both should have it by now. Amazon clearly has it by now, both in paperback and as an ebook.
Speaker 2: Now. Some of our authors actually make themselves available to people. I have to assume that you'd probably be overwhelmed by that offer. But I just want to make give you at least the opportunity if if there's way people can follow you, get in touch with you, ask questions to the internet, what what, what options do people have?
Speaker 3: I know I encourage that and I get back to people. Best way is my website. It's my name Foster Gerald dot com. Everything about the books, myself, everything is there and there's a contact link by all means use it if you have a question. As I say, I do get back to you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now this is the question. Oftentimes what I do for a living is I asked questions to which I don't know the answers. What got you interested in this? However, many decades ago, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm a psychologist. I'd been doing this for four decades and around nineteen eighty six and I was hired as a drug and alcohol specialist in a prison and they offered training, so we went out and got certified in addiction. So you know, I started with a prison population of all places, but you know, brought it to the into the private practice, and I've been certified for that long and so you know, it's families, it's individuals, it's kids, it crosses all the lines. And so I continue to do it. It's that, you know, and then all the other kind of counseling I do.
Speaker 2: So what attracted you to this in the first place. I mean, you went to school and you I assume a psychology major, but there's a lot of different roads you could take on the psychology path. What got you to this area because obviously that you hear a passion in your voice about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like anything else with the problems people have. I saw the niche. I looked at it and said, all right, I can do this. You know, you grow up with you know, as a teenager and as a college student of people partying. You see, you see the damage it's done, you see the overdoses, you see all those things. And then you know, I started doing some of this and I said, I'm getting good results here and people are listening, and I'm learning the program, and I just kept ongoing and it's an ongoing thing. I'm one of those people that loves to be around people. I love people. So you know, you know, if I can help somebody, you know, take I'll take that opportunity every time.
Speaker 2: Well, fols, I really do appreciate it. The time that you've spent with us tonight, and I hope a lot of people who find themselves battling the monkey or the dragon or whatever people want to call it, that they'll reach out for some hell open certainly get the book Road to Recovery, fix your addiction. Thanks very much.
Speaker 3: First been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We came back on and talk about how you can celebrate the holiday, the upcoming holiday, which of course is whether you think it's Thanksgiving, Honkah, Christmas, New Year's, a lot of holidays coming up by some strolls in the Freedom Trail. We'll be back right after this quick break on Nightside. You're listening to Nightside with Dan Ray and WBZ ten thirty on your AM dial. You can follow me on Twitter if you like, just go to w at WBZ Nightside, follow me on Instagram. We have lots of ways to be in touch with you and you conversely to be in touch with us. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio PORI.
Speaker 2: Well, the holiday season approaches, of course, Christmas is the big holiday, but you have Honukah, you have Thanksgiving New Year's a lot of people end up going into Boston and spend spending some time in the city. And one of the great things about Boston is there's so much to do. And of course the Freedom Trail Beckons and the holiday strolls are starting on November twenty second with us is one of the people who guides those strolls. His name is Jeremiah. Jeremiah, are you called simply a tour guide?
Speaker 4: Well, yes, just basically a tour guyt a Freedom Trail player.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, And so the strolls will run from November twenty second, how long I assume into the New year or do they when do they stop?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: They stop, you know, at the end of the holiday season, so they'll run right into January. I would imagine.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you done this before?
Speaker 4: Oh yes, many many years.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well, I assume that this is the time of year when when most people get a chance to be in Boston and they take a tour of the Freedom Trail. My understanding, it's a fairly easy stroll, but it's about what one a little over one and a half miles, Well.
Speaker 4: That would be that would be if we did the regular Freedom Trail to which goes from the Common to Fanuel Hall. But actually this one is less than a mile, so distance was very short, but a lot of stuff packed into it, all about the holiday history throughout Boston.
Speaker 2: So what give us a sense to the tours begin from the Common? Whereabouts in the Common?
Speaker 4: Well, they begin actually from I believe you know, traditionally the holiday tours have actually begun at Fanuel Hall down at the Arts Boston booth. Okay, sometimes the regular tours begin on on you know, Boston Common, but we'll be exploring different historic sites, you know, throughout.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I don't want to confuse people. Let me make if I've misspoke here. So the tours in the holiday season starting on November twenty second, start at Fannel Hall as opposed to the Common.
Speaker 4: They traditionally have. Yeah, I mean maybe perhaps the Freedom Trail Fitoundation are doing something different this year, but if they did, I haven't heard about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, fine, okay, So wherever they start, give us an idea of some of the things people would experience or be made aware of.
Speaker 4: Well, one thing that we usually do is we look at some of the different Christmas trees and holiday holiday trees throughout the area. Usually there's a very impressive one down at Quincy Market, and of course we always get the wonderful you know, holiday tree from Nova Scotia as well, you know, which is a gift to us for helping them after their terrible Halifax explosions. So we see those, we go to places like.
Speaker 2: That was the big explosion of nineteen seventeen, and they still remember. It's pretty nice, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've never forgotten that, and it's a very touching gesture. I guess this is considered a great honor to have your tree selected to go to Boston and it arrives here with great fan fair every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So some of the other some of the other highlights that they'll that that you folks would talk about.
Speaker 4: We visited the old sites, the former sites excuse me, of Philins and Jordan Marsh, which of course were such important parts of Boston's holiday tradition in days of view where everybody remembers Jordan Marsh is same as Blueberry Muffins, and of course Macy's played what was now Philins played such a big role in Boston's holiday traditions as well.
Speaker 2: Ye sadly, sadly, a lot of those have have given way to to other buildings and other usage, that's for sure. Now, are you a Bostonian originally? Did? Did you grow up around here?
Speaker 4: I would say yes, but a Bostonian would say, now, I grew up outside of Worcester. But I've been in Boston for rent thirty years. That's yeah.
Speaker 2: That really goes close enough. So is this a full time job? What do you do when you're not giving tours?
Speaker 4: It's what I do full time. Yeah, I mean, it's just I just kind of fell into as I've been doing them for twenty one years actually, and I mean I don't intitute my own horn, but I'm probably one of the better known tour guides in the city, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you I assume at other times during the year giving tours in the summer. Is there are the tour seasons or or is this literally an occupation that has you, you know, working every week throughout the year.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much becoming throughout the year thing. When I started back in two thousand and three, we only generally worked you know, summer, and by this time of year it would have curtailed. But in the last decade. It's really we've found people want to go on the tours all year round.
Speaker 2: So even with we haven't had winter yet. We've had a taste of winter the last couple of days. But it's supposed to be nicer tomorrow, better, more, a little warmer tomorrow. So you still are doing tours in January and February, which are probably our traditional worst weather months as well.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, we're like the postal service. You rain or sleet won't won't stop us.
Speaker 2: All right? And and you're in character. You use the name Jeremiah, which will leave it at that. The character that you represent is someone from England, as I understood it.
Speaker 4: Well, I've never played a character. I've just used my regular name.
Speaker 2: I see. Okay, So but are you in costume?
Speaker 4: I am in costume? Yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: What describe to us the costume so we can what era are you? Someone from the seventeenth century, eighteenth century? Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm on the Freedom Trail tours. I would portray an eighteenth century, eighteenth century person, but on their holidays strolls very much as that a Dickenzie and Victorian costume that we wear. I said something out of a Christmas Carol.
Speaker 2: Really okay, fine, We try to.
Speaker 4: Make it quite festive in that respect, and we deal with all kinds of interesting stuff on that holiday stroll. Like we point out things like Christmas was not allowed in Massachusetts throughout the seventeenth century because the Puritans did not did not.
Speaker 2: They were they were they were not. They were not party people. There's no question. There's no question about that.
Speaker 4: They were quite grim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't doing they weren't doing the holiday thing, that's for sure. So so you essentially assume a character. You're not a historical character. Some people on some of these tours, they're playing someone who we would have known by reputation from the Revolutionary War or from some other other time period, your youth, that's right.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of people will play historic figures. I always just played myself, you know. For a few days when I started doing this, For a few days, I was playing a patriot named Joseph war But then I did some research on me, and I turned out he was very tall and handsome, and I thought, well, that doesn't really fit the bills for me, So I just played myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Warren tabn Over in Childstown. There's there's no right question. Yeah, no question about that. Well, look, if folks want to get tickets for the for the tour, there's got to be a website. I assume it's you can probably get the day of, but give us the website and it's.
Speaker 4: The Freedomtrail dot org.
Speaker 2: Pretty easy, the Freedom Trail with the article, the word the Thefreedomtrail dot org. Well, Jeremiah, thanks very much, and I wish you a very successful winter season. Thanks again, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Have a good night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome, we get back. We're going to talk a little bit about the retail aspect of the upcoming holiday season. Question that we're going to be asking a retail industry insider who's who is described as a visionary technology executive who specializes in AI currently leads a group called Worldwide Ticket Knowledgies Global Enterprise Sales Retail Organization. It's got to be a big card, a question, a big business card. Is it better now? Is it better to buy now or wait until Black Friday, which I think all of us know is the day after Thanksgiving when a lot of stores talk about sales. Well, we'll get an answer to that question from a gentleman by the name of Adam Doumey. Right after this break, we've got the news coming up first, and then we'll be back with Adam Doumy and talk about the retail industry smarted to buy now or wait until Black Friday? And then we're going to talk with an expert on the top trending gifts for twenty twenty four. As shoppers gear up for the busy holiday season, I say Christmas season, but whatever your holiday is, it's great. It's great to celebrate and give gifts and spend time with friends to wrap up the year and get started on twenty twenty five. Back good Night's Side. Right after this, you're on.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ Houston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, with the holiday season approaching, I don't think it's upon us yet. Thanksgiving is still a couple of weeks away. We start to think about holiday gift giving, Christmas gifts and gifts Hanuka on New Year's gifts, and every all sorts of gifts. So the question is is it's smarter now to buy and maybe get some of those gifts taken care of, or do we wait until Black Friday? With us is a retail industry insider Adam Dumay. Adam, Welcome to Night Side. What's the verdict here? Is it better to do buy now or wait? Well? I mean I assume if you buy now, most everything's available. Hi, Adam, how are you? I?
Speaker 5: I'm well, thank you. I'm taking my prediction to the bank. I think it is in consumer's best interest to wait until Black Friday. And there's a reason. Right, So if you take a step back and think of all the distractions that we've had that's pulled our attention away. You've had kind of a presidential election, right, I've spent eleven billion dollars in ads.
Speaker 2: Just you're telling me that we had a presidential How did I miss that?
Speaker 5: It happened. I swear to you. You can factchuck me, and so you may be one of a few people, but I'm telling you it happened. And then before that, we're Olympics, right, We're eighty two percent increase in viewership. So we're pulling these different directions. And then, by the way, you probably had a couple of rainstorms up north. There were three times as many weather disturbances as normal.
Speaker 2: The problem up here is we're in a real serious drought. In all honesty, we haven't had a good rainstorm up here since sometime in August. And also, wow, by the way, just so you know, I cover politics five nights away, three hours a night. So I was joking with you, Adam.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, Mom, I was hoping that I was a case. I was hoping you also want to be urologist. So, but it's interesting, right if you think of this normal engage model between retailer consumers, it's been disrupted, and so I think.
Speaker 2: I want to have a conversation with I want to assume that if they were aced out of all of their advertising because of the one and a half billion dollar presidential election, never mind all the Senate in the House races that that they got to do something to get the young people in stores at this point.
Speaker 5: Sure, and they have. So if you think of retail as Walmart, for example, they had their first holiday sales events this calend year earlier than ever. Right, you think of organizations like Amazon, the Amazon kind of big deal day in October, discounts through fourteen percent. So they're doing something. But again, we're all creatures that have it, and so as significant portion of your consumers just wait until Black Friday and think that is the day. And with this I mentioned these distractions. I don't think retailers are going to try to overcome that. I think they're going to accommodate it.
Speaker 2: So the way they caught dated is dropping prices.
Speaker 5: Correct. Yeah, and if you look at last year, no one knows what's going to happen this calendar year. But if you look at last year as indicative, I don't see a reason things would change. The top three categories of discounts were toys, apower, and televisions, and if you look at the research for twenty twenty four, all of those are in the top five categories of persons intent. So we want to buy that stuff. And last year we saw some big discounts, and I think even larger discounts will up here this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you this. We do not have any sort of supply chain backups that we've had other years. We do not have any sort of a major strike going on. The teams to strike was put off until I think January fifteenth, so there's going to be no disruption in the supply chain, which would say to me that and this is going to back up your theory that if there's no disruption in the supply chain, that means the market will be flooded with UH. And then if there is a particularly a shortened season where people are focusing on this, yeah, the prices are going to have to drop. I assume those factors work in your in the favor of your argument.
Speaker 5: Or you're yeah, that's absolutely right. And if you look at twenty twenty three, retailers have these excessive inventories that they all reported in the earnings. This year, they're much more level, so there's even an increased desire to clear the inventory for new next year's model. And so yeah, I think there are many reasons to suggest that that is a really great.
Speaker 2: Season for you're talking about you're talking about car dealers, they are, right, And when you talk about next year's models.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, I'm talking about general retailers car dealers. It really varies on what which car dealer, for example, model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, when you were when you use the word models, okay, what do you mean by that? Just product?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So this year's TV set, which is going to be the two twenty twenty four model, they're working on the twenty twenty five model TV set, and they want to be able to bring those out at some point after they've sold all the twenty twenty forces.
Speaker 5: What you're telling them, ohat that same analogy for clothing and shoes and apparel. But yes, that's exactly right. Retails to want to introduce new inventory and this is a great tool to help them do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you're not concerned that And I'm just playing a little Devil's advocate with Look, you know more about this than I do. Everybody who I interview knows more about this particular product the products that I do, Okay, but I try my best. So you're not overly concerned that there's going to be some item that people if they wait till Black Friday, or some generic type of item that if they wait to Black Friday, they may find that the shelves are bear right.
Speaker 5: It sounds to be like, yeah, that's a trade off, that's a consideration. Absolutely. Am I concerned that that is going to detract all the forecasts of your ar increase? No, the retailers are so increasingly savvy and they're forcing a casting models are so on point that that's it's going to happen, but on mass and to detract customers something that I don't see that as as Kevin to fruition.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you yourself, do you follow your own guidance here? And I say that it's kind of a wise guy question, but I could ask wise guy questions. I mean a lot of people will say, oh, you know, I never fill up my car. I always wait until the guest tank is empty, and then you catch it. They should top it off with ten dollars. Well, you know you never know. Okay, So I assume you follow your own advice here.
Speaker 5: They're getting awfully personal Dan in our first conversation. Yes, I absolutely do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I ask look, I could have look, I could have given you a real hard time and asked you how much of a Red Sox fan you want? Are? And I know you're not from this area, and you probably would have told me you weren't. And then all of a sudden, when the crowd on my side, totally, who do you root for?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: I grew up in BRUSA, New York and I was a nuts band. So I'm not a nuts band. But yeah, that's even worse in New York City.
Speaker 2: Do you know what happened in nineteen eighty six with Mookie Wilson at the ball through box News. That's even worse, I do.
Speaker 5: It'd be better if I didn't bring that up. Dan, I know part tonight fair enough.
Speaker 2: I'm just having fun with you. So you do follow your own advice, and you think one of the things that in my last I'd get it. I always get a chance to ask questions of experts, which is really fun, okay, because I can ask the same questions of people and I get wrong answers. One of the things that I will hear sometime around Thanksgiving, uh, and I get a little worried. I walk into these stores before Halloween and I see Christmas decorations. I know, push it. Do you think that's good for retail? By pushing it that early on, obviously they must think it's good for retail. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I think that's a nuanced answer from a retail perspective. They're seeing year over year increases, so financially that makes complete sense. I do appreciate your point, though, there's something majestic. I think about going into a mall and having red and green everywhere, and having a mall filled with people in that excitement that comes from the holiday that's missing now. But from a pure business perspective, the numbers don't lie. You know, three to eight percent increase this year is expected, and so I think retails would make that trade off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you got you got to my final question. You're good, man, You're good. You got right to my final question. That is, every year we hear this year, well because of the economy, it's good, it's bad, it's different. And they'll tell us the average American this year is going to spend whatever, you know, dollars or whatever. Yeah, so the average American is going to buy more this year, is what you're telling me. That's right.
Speaker 5: And yeah, there's some categories to have increased spending like electronics and clothing, but this year where there's widespread agreement anywhere from two and a half so eight and a half percent. We'll see you know January first.
Speaker 2: Wow, you've been a great guest. I've given you a hard time, but that's hard time. Guess I like, okay, because I think you can handle it. Adam. How can folks get either in touch with you or more information about what you do? I see you're on LinkedIn. Uh, is there some sort of a forum where you provide advice and suggestions and good good information above and beyond your eight or nine minutes with us here on night Side today.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I am on LinkedIn. Please look me up, Adam. My last name is d U m Eu. I would love to continue the conversation. I think there's so much more exciting things in retail, including AI and.
Speaker 4: Other trends that I love to talk about.
Speaker 2: Adam, do me retail industry leader. You've been a great guest. I really do appreciate it. And you're off beyond that. You're a good sport too. Okay, I'm in that series. Thank you, Thanks very much, Adam. I enjoyed it all right, have a good night you too. We're going to follow along with the Shopping Guide and we're going to talk with Justin Burr. He's a Google tech expert, and he's going to tell us what Google believes will be the top trending gifts for twenty twenty four as shoppers gear up for the busy holiday season. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We'll be talking with US Congressman from Massachusetts, Seth Moulton. Right after the nine o'clock news and then later on tonight we're going to talk about the cabinet nominations that have been presented by President elect Donald Trump at beginning at ten o'clock. Coming right back on Nightside with our last, our fourth and final guest of this hour of Nightside News Update.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So we talked last hour about well, the last guest with Adam Dumay, the retail industry insider, about whether you should buy now we'll wait for Black Friday. Now we're going to talk with Justin Burr. He's a Google tech expert and he's going to tell us what shoppers are gearing up for in the upcoming holiday slash Christmas season. Justin, welcome to night Side. How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: Hey, I'm doing great, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe a little behind time here, justin better Tickle me Elmo Dolls still the most important present you got to get for a kid this year.
Speaker 6: Absolutely everybody needs to Tickle me Elmo doll. No, I don't think okay.
Speaker 2: If it's not that I'm a little bit of an expert here too. So if it's not Tickle Me Elmo, it has to be the beanie baby thing, right.
Speaker 6: Ah, man, you're really bringing me back. I love the beanie babies. Yeah, God yeah, beanie babies are great. Not anymore, sadly.
Speaker 2: So what's what's the hot new trends? I just having fun with you.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, totally.
Speaker 6: Okay. Well, first off, anybody can look at this stuff. It's we have a landing page. We pulled together the top one hundred best gift ideas based on Google search trends. We looked at like forty five billion different search trends. So you pull together the holiday one hundred. We do this every single year and anyone can look at it. So if you remember one thing from this interview, everybody, it's G dot co slash holiday one hundred and even see what whoa holding right now?
Speaker 2: You go too fast? Me, it's the letter G dot c O.
Speaker 6: G dot co and then slash holiday one hundred. So one zero holiday one hundred.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be on that tomorrow morning, first thing I get up. So what's that gonna tell us?
Speaker 6: That's gonna show you all of the different trending products that we have seen trending on Google variety of different categories and apparel and accessories, electronics, home and garden, toys and games. So I feel like, for me, it's going to be a really nice first step in my shopping journey because just a lot easier to kind of get a little bit of an idea of what's hot, what's not. Maybe Cielmo on there, I don't know, but there's a lot of good products that you can see to potentially buy.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking this year I want to give people Encyclopedia Britannicas. Are they still available on.
Speaker 6: The old CD wrongs exactly? So this is you're really going old. So I will say, I will say you have the right mindset because one of the trending categories that we're seeing on Google is retro coded. So we're talking like that old game Signmon where you like tried to press the buttons in the same order that they light up as record players. Like, all this stuff is cyclical and it's coming back.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's why I started with Tickle Me Elmo. I don't know how long Tickle Me Elbow has been out, but he's got to be coming back around.
Speaker 6: Maybe we should get into the tickle me Elmo business. Maybe that's the new hot trend where we've got the vision.
Speaker 2: I so enjoyed this stuff. I worked. I worked for many years before I started doing this game talk sho. I worked for many years as a reporter up here with the CBS affiliate, and I worked mornings because my kids were young, you know, they were like six, seven, eight, nine years old. So we would show up at one of the toys r us or you know those those old big toy Stollers. People were lined up like they were waiting for Red Sox World Series tickets, and they would open the store and it would be a madhouse. That seems to have gone away a little bit, right.
Speaker 6: I mean with the online shopping, you don't need to wait for like the midnight release of the PlayStation two anymore, right, Like you're just online at the right time and you click buy, So it's not I mean I remember doing the Beanie Baby stuff too, Like me and my mom would be waiting in line for the tour store to be open to like buy the octopush Beanie Baby before everyone else could.
Speaker 2: Like look a time, we used to be able to get into the store ahead of time, so we would have the camera crews taking pictures of them all, you know, fighting and streaming through the door. It looked like WrestleMania. In the meantime, we were able to kind of put a few things away on the shelf. I did most of my Christmas shopping that was over my four thirty on Black Friday morning.
Speaker 6: Would you rather do that? Like that's more fun?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Well? It was more fun. But it also I didn't have to wrestle with anybody because I could kind of prowl the nisles at you know, four thirty to ten minutes of five before the first live shots at five am. And it was tough to get out, but that one morning, that one morning, it made it. So give us a couple of the really hot items. You know, I'm going to be on your website in the morning and most of my audience will be. But give us a couple of the really hot items that you think people that this the twenty twenty four shopping season will be remembered for. You know, who will what will be the Tickle Me Elmo of twenty twenty four? What will be the Beautie Baby collection of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give be four things here that we're that we're seeing is the top trending gifts right now. So one of them is a handbag, and that is the coach quilted Tavvy bag. Searches for this item hiden all time high this past year. You probably don't know what that is. It's like a small black person. One of the other things that we're seeing is searches for the pillow sack. They soared by over six hundred and sixty five percent this year. And this is like a huge oversigned bean bag chair. So we are seeing the bean bag sort of trend come back a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, baby bean bag, it's just a little bigger, that's all. Okay, it's a little bit bigger. You could put it under the tree. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Uh, I know I got a bean bag one one Christmas when I was a little kid, and that box was so big. I was so excited. It was massive. I was good.
Speaker 2: Okay, there was what was in the box that you remember the box? What was in the box that year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was it was a bean bag chair. It was it was bean bag chair, which was cool.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that things and a couple more good items for people to be thinking about.
Speaker 6: Yes, there's a thing called the Tonys Sets t O n I S. And this is a it's a toy for kids, and search interest for this jumped by over five thousand percent this year. And this one's interesting. It comes with a variety of different like little figurines, and it's like a little box and you put the figurines on top and then the box will do certain things that will play a different melody or there's like an interactive element. So it's it's kind of old school in a way that it's like, yeah, it's like a figurine sort of action figure type of thing, which is fun. And then the last one that I will say rounding out the top four here is a is a cosmetic item. It's called the Elf Cosmetics Halo Glow Liquid filter, which is a thing you put on your lips that makes your lips look good. And that search interest has increased by over five thousand percent, So big on the lip filter.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you this, are there any people who are still out there? And I'm being serious now, okay, I'm being totally serious. Now, what you know, the more traditional presence baseball, love our hockey stick or for that matter, like a Lionel train set? Have train sets? You know? Does anyone buy a train set for their kids anymore?
Speaker 6: A man, That's it's a good question. So again I I I'm not seeing any sort of like like just nothing both sort of old school bread and butter Christmas items at least on my top trending list. But what you can do again that that link that I mentioned earlier g dot co slash Holiday one hundred how to look through you know, like there's a lot of stuff on here, and again there's one hundred things on it. I don't think we're gonna see any toy or any like train sets like that type of stuff. Maybe there's like a bicycle on there, but again, like I think that bicycles are still a popular category. I think what what the explanation that I will give you is maybe why we're not seeing some of that up is that we're looking at the top trending items this year, meaning like what is unique this year from years past, And there could be a situation in which like rollerblades or a certain toy is always popular or bikes are always popular, but you want to have a snapshot of like, what's popular this year? What makes this year you?
Speaker 2: I'm with you. This what we'll we remember from this year? Justin. I really enjoyed our conversation. I had fun with it, which to me is the most important thing. But more importantly, I think we got a lot of good information out and we got a website that people can go to tomorrow. G dot co slash Holiday one hundred. Really appreciate you taking the time tonight. Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it. Hey, thanks so much. I had fun too, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, great, great, great great. We come back on new talk with Congressman Seth Molten about the future direction of the Democratic Party, what sort of adjustments that they have to make in view of what happened on election night. But nine days ago, it seems like a long time ago. It was just nine days ago. We'll be back at night side right after the news at nine o'clock