Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of January sixth, we are continuing with Laws Season two, Episode three orientation as we move into phase two of Lost. Who are all these weird people?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Whole thing just a psychological experiment? Tell us now it was for the viewers. Possibly, Yeah, weird stuff? Can we throw out and people will continue?
Speaker 2: People will watching, keep watching.
Speaker 1: You must push the button for ABC every time this night, Yes, and there will be an entertainment program.
Speaker 2: Oh weird things so entertaining.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you feel that you wanted to watch that orientation again? Take again?
Speaker 2: Like bluck? Jack was like, no, I'm not watching it again. The lock was just I feel like that if they watch it one more time, it's gonna fall apart. Like that's right, that piece of actual media is so weakened that is really not gonna last.
Speaker 1: But how old are we that we remember them when that was a thing, right, that little classroom?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh golly.
Speaker 1: But in the ancient computer which they have to have to send out to, sayid to come fix.
Speaker 2: And you know the fact that he actually did fix it within like twenty minutes is something going Babe, babe that that also defies belief.
Speaker 1: I would say, But I mean the fact that he did do it. And then Jack's like, I'm not going to push the button. I get it. It's like I fixed the bleeping computer. Hit the button. Well, it's so important that I had to run here through the jungle to fix it for you hit the button.
Speaker 2: Hit the button, I mean anyone could have hit the button. Lock O, Kate say any of that.
Speaker 1: Just reached over and said, oh, for goodness sake, right. Hurley was not the one involve the numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hurley was the only one who was like, hell no, I'm not touching.
Speaker 1: Also, Hurley had found the pantry, so I don't think we're gonna see him for a while. Kate leave any candy bars for him, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Kate didn't have very much room in her tiny pockets, off her tiny jeans.
Speaker 1: Bring a backpack next time, girl.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, you know it's there.
Speaker 1: You have that locked case still somewhere.
Speaker 2: Jack has the key. He has the key. Yes.
Speaker 1: The most curious thing to me about that whole side of the plot was in episode one of this season, Man of Science, Man of Faith ended with Jack getting a good look at Desmond and saying you right, and then subsequent flashbacks of that scene did not include that this one it was Desmond who recognized Jack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what the heck? Right?
Speaker 1: I'm so I've been waiting for the payoff of that scene where Jack says you and Jusman says you. They say, oh my goodness, how could this possibly be? And they talk about the weirdness of them both being one place. I haven't really got that.
Speaker 2: No, and then they didn't talk about it until after Desmond had run off, right, yeah, departed from the bronker.
Speaker 1: Jack chased him and they had a conversation in which Desmond forced Jack to say that he had married his patient in such a way that made it Clark He no longer was like, does have to be about Jack's love life? Could must not be about the fact that what are the odds that two dudes who randomly met in a stadium in the United States are suddenly on this same funky island, Right, that's the meat of the conversation, gentlemen, Right, not so much, not so much what happened to his patient? And are they still married?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then Desmond runs off into that conversation has never had.
Speaker 2: So they could have even just talked about like, hey, you find any good place to run around here?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: I know you like to run for fun and fitness.
Speaker 1: Running randomly through the jungle keeps us, keeps us fit, and also having no food except for they got Desmond's digs, you know, Yeah, everybody can move in. They can have a groovy time.
Speaker 2: Got lots of food, got some injectable drugs, weapons of the turntable.
Speaker 1: So yeah, some swinging music, so yeah. We didn't know, come on down.
Speaker 2: We did get a look at the arsenal that is in that in that book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, yeah, did the others come on now? Kate helped herself to a sawyer and Michael and yes, that was the other half of the plot, which is the drift Aways landing and being you know, rudely smacked in the nog and and dragged off by fishing net to a hole in the ground a pit, yes to which I just because I just read a book about parts and recreation, which we're going to talk about later this week.
Speaker 2: But I've heard a voice, right, they did, and then.
Speaker 1: Another another prisoner was thrown into the pit.
Speaker 2: With them, right, who could this be? And I remember when we did meet her at the airport and Lucia she met Jack. Yes, well you did. You did urge me to that's true. And not forget this face spoiler. No, that's okay. I mean that you have to believe that anything they're showing you in any flashback or otherwise, you know, not happening at the present time. Right, it's going to matter.
Speaker 1: Right, So in this case, she turns out to be a spy for the other others that are have hidden at them, right, perhaps being that she was on the plane. What conclusions do you draw from that about the people who have thrown them in the pit?
Speaker 2: Right? Are they the others as in they have been on the island throus so others? Or are they others from the other piece of the plane?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Are they the others or the the other others? There eventually a lot of other others.
Speaker 2: But this island is just teeming with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, not yet though, so yeah, so that looks like it's going to be an interesting bringing together if anybody ever decides to trust each other and not throw them in holes on the ground right and hit them on the head, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's interesting that it's very Lord of the Flies that you know, we're automatically going to be whacking people on the head before we even find out who they are.
Speaker 1: And interesting that our I don't know that our the castaways we've been following thus far seemed to be like a more civilized bunch because they got Jack, you know, well they also got Sawyer and Kate, so who knows, it could have gone either way. But and Sayid, Sayid was torturing people early on, so well, one person, one person. If it had just been Kate and Sawyer and said in a little group, things could have gone very sour. But this, this group seems to have been maybe had a harder time of it because they are hitting unconscious first, asking questions later.
Speaker 2: Right, And they have already created this pit for keeping their enemies in.
Speaker 1: The dog. But those wax on the head with a stick or an oar or whatever that was they were hitting them with, there would have been concussions in like cerebral hemorrhages and broken skulls. Would it not have been those look like administered with a blunt instrument and a significant amount of force, right?
Speaker 2: And weren't some of those blunt instruments like studded with nails.
Speaker 1: And then they're just jumping up again and saying, well, how do we get out of here?
Speaker 2: Boys?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure your brain won't fall out?
Speaker 2: Your eyeballs? Fine?
Speaker 1: Hey, yi again? We say we need a minute clinic here at the yeah on the island, you know, maybe a small surgery. Yes, I hope everybody brought their insurance card? Did they get those out of the crack? I'm sorry, we see that your brains are falling out but we don't take your insurance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't take that back in the pit with you.
Speaker 1: But speaking of flashbacks, now, I know they've gotten themselves into a pattern now that they have to do the flashbacks, but you've got all this exciting stuff going on in the island, and the flashbacks were basically about remember what a loser Locke was? Boy? Was he a loser? Boy? Look at this shmo, looking at this nice lady, and he just can't stop doing the stupid things. We know, we know that already. You've shown that to us at least twice.
Speaker 2: Yes, can we go back to the end. Here's how he looks when he has hair, which is not good.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm happy to see Katie Segal, right, And and that was fine, but it was just such a every time we went to the flashback, like, yeah, this is not where we want to be right now, and you're going over the same ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're gonna go this direction, like give us something more.
Speaker 1: Us something new.
Speaker 2: I mean they're really like eking it out so slowly. You know, we got to get to how did he get it, you know, paralyzed or whatever the problem is with his.
Speaker 1: I mean they had shown us that it would have been worth it, but this just seemed like inching along, right with more of the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're going to keep doing that with Jack and Sarah, you know, Julie Bow and she spoonfuls exactly.
Speaker 1: This is about the point that they were at which they realized, oh crap, we're a hit. We have to keep this going for.
Speaker 2: It, right, we need to slow Our.
Speaker 1: Role is how many more episodes can you do this season? And uh, what's your six year plan?
Speaker 2: And then they're like, six what.
Speaker 1: We're planning to crawl into a pit.
Speaker 2: Thanks this nice hatch.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna go down and play play records, hit a button.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I but parenting wise, in the contest for Baddest bad Dad, I think Locke's dad has pretty much wrapped that up, has he not?
Speaker 2: Eikes? Yeah, I mean even Christian Shepherd is like Christian Shepherd is like the stopped clock. That's right, twice a day.
Speaker 1: But uh, but whatever his did Jack go away?
Speaker 2: You are not wanted, You're not wanted?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yikes, which I believe he said before a couple of times. But and he also did not remove an organ from Jack's body, right, And then kicked him in the ass and on the way out. So yeah, yeah, yeah, I think he's he's right now in the gold medal position. Yeah and uh and gaining right and he's going to be out of reach pretty soon.
Speaker 2: That's you know, if they keep continuing to have lockflash bags, they have to keep coming up with horrible things for this man to say and do.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, folks, that is not right. Never say that to your child. And also always asked for permission before removing a kid.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he did consent, but he was duped.
Speaker 1: He was duped. Think you think you're the only one who's ever been conned?
Speaker 2: The dad said, rude. Yeah, and we have never seen his Do we ever get to see his mother again? Well?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't I don't remember if that mother might have just been a paid actor.
Speaker 2: This is quite true.
Speaker 1: And the whole thing of there's this whole huge job to do in the hatch, and the person who knows how to do it just bolts, and the people remaining are like, what how am I supposed to know what to do? That seems kind of like maybe mom's spritten out the boy to go to Starbucks we've been dad with the kids.
Speaker 2: Right, figure it out. Here's a film strip that shows you how to change a diaper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but also probably the way you feel when you leave the hospital with the baby. Yes, wait wait what hold up? And there was a lot of talk about taking a leap of faith, which is certainly something that is that parents do on a regular basis, like sure I could do this, or to a kid, sure you can do this, it'll be fine. Yes, you know, you know, we urge them to take a leap of faith, which means taking a leap of faith ourselves, because who knows what if you're wrong and they can't and then horrible things happen. But so yeah, although the whole thing, it's like the mind Game's Locke was playing to make Jack bush the button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's try not to adopt that as a parenting strategy.
Speaker 1: But you know what, if you need the kid to do it righttimes, what you need is really like get one of those timers in your home so that you say, okay, time to get up, and the clock starts right, the numbers are flipping down yep. Then it just kind of keeps accelerating until finally the house is gonna.
Speaker 2: Blow up if you don't get up and hit that butt right now. It is like a like a smoke alarm, right, I mean, I guess those don't increase, you know, they they start at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what are very bossy from a parenting point of view are baby monitors. Yes, we have one that I'm using as an intercom with my daughter since you moved downstairs, my daughter who is gonna be thirty five. But you know, we use the technology that we easily have at hand. And one thing is if it if I leave it unplugged upstairs and it starts getting low in battery, it makes this sound like and it's the kind of sound that you hear it in your house and you say, what on earth is that? But you can't figure out what is doing it? Is it the smoke alarm? You poke the smoke alarm a few times? No, it's not that didity. Is there a animal hidden someplace here? You look around some more. Finally you realize, oh, it's a stupid baby monitor. But if it gets unplugged downstairs, this very loud voice comes from the upstairs unit that says, please see to your baby. The unit is disconnected. It is too far away from the because which makes sense because if you really are using it for a baby, you want to know if you're not able to hear them, you want to use it to monitor a thirty five year old. It's really probably not that important all down down there, eventuating you must come right now there's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yes, so yeah, we have we have a sump pump. Actually we have two of them in our in our basement, and it has like a battery backup or there's some part of it that's battery operated. And you know it's in the basement, like in the corner, you know, further far away from anything. But it starts doing that little and you're like, what is that? What is that? It's not a smoke detector, it's not the timer on the microwave, Like what is it? And then finally you have to go all the way down in the basement. You're like, you know, you're like, am I warmer warmer with bb B? You know, finally there it is.
Speaker 1: It's that I do another episode of family game shows that would be one find the thing that right?
Speaker 2: What is being it's it's a companion piece to what is that smell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just before we're done. And this is sort of parenting related as well. I love that little exchange where Hurley says things are finally returning to normal and then Kate runs out of the crape like.
Speaker 2: Hurley, don't say that kind of thing out loud. Don't ever say that old yep, yep.
Speaker 1: That's the thing we learned as parents. You never say that. You never say, well, thank goodness everything, Everything's gonna be fine now good crash or well. Next Tuesday, we will continue with season two, episode four of Lost, which is called Everybody Hates Hugo. I don't hate I don't hate Hugo. I there be an episode of Hugo just enjoying the offerings of Desmond's pantry. But maybe that's why everybody hates him, he ate all the food. But yeah, so I suppose that's a hurly flashback episode. And you know, why the heck? Not?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: He's must be in such apple plexy over the constant use of the numbers, having seen them typed into a computer, right, which.
Speaker 2: Is in the bunker with those numbers on the door.
Speaker 1: It's right, it seems perfectly normal. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about right anyway, So we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss shrinking, which takes place entirely above ground. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.