Speaker 1: And this is KF I A M six forty bill handle here, and since it is Friday, it is time for Foody Friday with Neil, Sabaiedra and Me coming up right after this segment. It's asked handle anything, which is always fine, all right, Neil, Yes, we do Foody Friday. I have a very deep philosophical question. Oh boy, since birds are killing us now right, well, it's or we're on we're on pandemic. Yeah, yeah, So what's going to kill us first? The chicken or the egg?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, that's that's what you want to lead with. Oh, I don't know, I don't know. I do know that one of the questions that I've been asked a lot lately is how come egg prices are going up. One of the reasons is the Avian flu. The second is just you know, economic inflation right now, and that's where we are. But the the avian flu has been a huge part of it. You know that they have to proactively kill a lot of egg laying hens because of concern about the avian flu. So if one gets it, then to protect other parts of the flock, they actually have to destroy it.
Speaker 1: Going back to my joke, which turns only out to be half a joke usually is yes, sometimes a quarter of a joke. You would think that because of the culling of the flocks, I mean the destruction of entire flows, millions, millions, Why aren't the the chickens that are used, you know, the cooking chickens, eating chickens. Why aren't they affected like the eggs?
Speaker 2: Okay, there are two types of chickens. So the hens that lay the eggs are egg laying hens. The other chickens that we eat or you're going to get your rotissey chicken. And those prices aren't going through the roof or anything. They are roasters. They're two different chickens. And not only are they two different chickens, but they are raised differently as well. So the hen laying or the egg laying hens tend to be in migrant they're in tighter quarters, they're older because you're using them for long. You're not killing them for meat. Now you're killing off the roaster chickens at a young age six eight weeks whatever it is, and so they're not living long enough to often catch this. Plus they're not in the migratory paths of certain birds that are carrying the disease over, so it's not hitting them. It hits them a little bit, but it doesn't hit them to the degree. So it's not passed along to us in any way, shape or form, because they're not being destroyed the same way. So you can still go out and get chicken or you know, we had the Super Bowl, people were going out get chicken wings. Totally different situation. The birds that the hens that are laying the eggs are around much longer, they're in different quarters, and they come across other birds depending on where they are. And you know what's nuts. I mean, we're down to I don't know, one hundred million egg laying birds right now or something. We almost have to have one egg laying chicken per person in the United States to be at the.
Speaker 1: Normal rationships three times.
Speaker 2: But isn't that insane? Like it takes. That's about what it is. It's somewhere around three hundred and let's say, eighteen three hundred and twenty million hens, and we're around one hundred and some odd million righting.
Speaker 1: But you know you're right, For example, you still get the rotisserie chicken. We talked about that earlier this morning at Costco, And the other day it was at Costco, because I'm always at Costco, and I know you buy a rotisserie chicken, it's still five bucks and they give you a thermometer.
Speaker 2: They throw it in.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a loss leader of course for them, of course, but it is. People do get confused when they say, well, aren't we killing off the chickens? And how come we're able to get decent prices When you look at eggs. We just paid nine dollars or something for eggs at the local grocery store for a dozen eggs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: That's nine bucks.
Speaker 1: What should they be? What? What considering inflation.
Speaker 2: Around three dollars?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Fifty Yeah, I mean that that could still be Yeah, that would probably be about the norm, maybe maybe even a little lower. They can be very inexpensive when we are in complete balance.
Speaker 1: So how long does it take to bring back the flocks to the point where we hit normal production?
Speaker 2: You know there, I've seen different and red different different timelines as to what it would take. But we're definitely not going to turn it around overnight. I mean you're looking at I was reading about someone breaking down how a lot of people want to start their own little egg farms in their in their backyard. A lot of people are doing that, and they're even saying don't buy an adult chicken or hand to raise them from chicks, to control their environment and how they're raised in all of those things. So it does take to get to maturity to start laying eggs does take some times. And of course you know that's part of the egg laying processes as well. They're just not eating them, they're fertilizing them. And and when you have a shortage, now you're using some of those eggs to create more.
Speaker 1: You are you using less eggs in your life? I am? I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we go. I've got an eight year old boy, so and I love eggs. I think eggs are a cheap, easy protein and you know, and they're tasty. So but yeah, I eat a little less eggs these days, just you know. But we we still keep them in the house. They're still there, all right.
Speaker 1: Neil, Oh, tomorrow you do the Fork Report.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm broadcasting live tomorrow from Morongo Casino Resort and Spa there in Cabazon. It'll be good fun, yep.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to share with you. But Neil and I are in the midst of putting together a broadcast together that we have never done. And I'm talking about that, yeah, that one. Okay, okay, all right?
Speaker 2: To tease?
Speaker 1: What to tease? I can't tease myself coming up, Ask Candle anything right here on KFI Amy Live in the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom.