Speaker 1: Hello everybody, welcome to the Buckeye Weekly Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tony Gerderman, here as always with With Tom Orr. Tom, how's it going?
Speaker 3: Well, Tony, there was only like seven seconds into the show or so before I remembered. Oh, I should put the microphone on. So now I'm great. Earlier, not as prepared.
Speaker 4: Now, now. We're to live in the moment, Tony. We're not here to talk about the past.
Speaker 5: You put the professional in professional, just so you know.
Speaker 4: The fest in professional, yes.
Speaker 5: So we were here at interviews with the seven captains.
Speaker 2: Here at Ohio State tonight and the one thing that I left with is the only thing that I tweeted from this and it's not the only thing I took from this.
Speaker 3: There was a lot that was interesting but the thing that you tweeted from this that I looked over at you and said well gonna have to do a show on that before we leave.
Speaker 2: And here we are we're doing a show on it and that was Jeremiah Smith was asked about Legend Bay losing his black stripe and what does that mean for the offense and he said it's big for the offense and And then he recounted a story of like, he's like, I think it was, I was talking to Luke Montgomery back in the spring. And I told Luke that before Legend Bay leaves Ohio State, he's either going to win the Heisman or be a finalist. And I had one of those, a very nice accomplishment for anybody, but especially at Ohio State, it's hard to say like you're going to win the Heisman because there've been so many finalists and you know how hard it is to win the Heisman.
Speaker 5: But what a statement from.
Speaker 2: A guy who, who very well could be the Heisman winner or a finalist this year, the best receiver in Ohio State history, saying, this guy is doing some things that people don't realize yet, but they will.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a little bit of a takes-one-to-no-one, you know, brackets, complimentary, as opposed to the usual way that's used, where, you know, I think a lot of us in Jeremiah Smith's true freshman season were saying, so, get ready to speak Times Square, buddy, and... you've seen that what that looks like then. And he has been, I think he was a finalist.
Speaker 4: Two years ago, right?
Speaker 5: I thought I was thinking so.
Speaker 3: I think he was a finalist as a true freshman and was like fifth place last year, but either way, obviously close enough to that conversation to be aware of what it takes to get into that conversation. That's the stuff that is really, you know, we get, there's like different tiers of how meaningful all this stuff is. And it's, If I ask you specifically about this player, tell me about this player, and you're going to tell me that he's a great guy, and he works really hard, and he's putting in a lot of work, and he's really studying hard, and everyone likes him, and his breath smells great, and whatever. When you ask me about a guy from subgroup, freshman class, wide receiver room, who surprised you, and you tell me something, and you name a name, that's more meaningful to me. Because if I ask you about a specific guy, you're not going to be like, that guy stinks. Like, no one since Denzel Burke, and even before Denzel Burke, there weren't many that would be real straightforward with you. If you get named in a group like that, like, okay, that's okay. If you're talking to teammates about that away from us, and then later feel so confident about that six months later... that you're sharing this as an amusing anecdote with us, and you're someone who has been there and done that and knows what it takes to get there, that's when you're like, okay, that is the highest tier of teammate to teammate company.
Speaker 2: And Jeremiah also saw Julian Sayen be a Heisman finalist.
Speaker 5: And it's completely different.
Speaker 2: It's like you said, if somebody were to ask, Jeremiah, do you think Legend Bay could win the Heisman one day or be a finalist?
Speaker 5: Of course. But then when it's volunteered forward like that is.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the expectations for him this year. Got the slow start in fall camp. Ends up losing his black stripe in the past week. That's a very good sign that he is in the good graces.
Speaker 5: Because, again, you lose your black stripe, you are a bucca. And nobody that is like, you know, wishy-washy on. They're like, you know, he's... We've.
Speaker 2: Seen guys that don't lose it until their redshirt freshman year. A guy named Joe Burrow. Famously not very good.
Speaker 4: Never did much at Ohio State, did he? I mean.
Speaker 5: We don't need to relitigate the past, but.
Speaker 2: Losing the black stripe, getting back into good graces, and everybody celebrates it when it happens. And we said, gosh, back in March, you know, like how many touches? Five to eight, something like that. As a true freshman, that's what they want to get him involved in. Special teams, pass catching, running the ball.
Speaker 5: Nothing.
Speaker 2: I've seen since, heard since, lends me to believe that's still not the plan. The biggest question has always been, how? How do you get those many touches? It's never been like, yeah, I don't think he's good enough.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: It has been away from the field stuff. You know, you missed the first two practices of the fall for disciplinary reasons. And this was not like a crime or anything. This is just like silly freshman stuff.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: But silly freshman stuff can... That's one of the reasons that freshmen don't play. The fact that he lost his black stripe is a pretty good indication that he has learned the lesson from the silly freshman stuff and has not repeated that mistake and has been doing what he needs to do. We were being told by people relatively high up in the program, like, I mean, like, glowing things about him, even before spring ball.
Speaker 4: Glowing things about him.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: Then he showed up for spring ball. He had the high expectations. Everyone's excited. And then he just, like, tweaks his hamstring. It's nothing major, but it's just enough to keep him off the field. And then right before fall practice, you know, just a silly mistake. Nothing major, but just enough to keep him off the field for the first couple days of fall practice. So it was kind of like, all right, it doesn't take that much. There's lots of ways for a talented freshman to not get on the field. It feels like he's leaving a lot of that stuff behind, and now he's back in, you know, sort of on track to get on the field early. And, you know, five to eight touches a game, as you said, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's Jeremiah Smith. Yeah, right. You're a running back. You're going to get, you know, but you've got Bo Jackson.
Speaker 3: You've got Isaiah West. You're not the only guy who's going to get carries. Jacoby Jackson is probably going to get some carries. So you might give him a couple in the run game. You throw him the ball once or twice. Do you trust him in the kick game? Do you trust him to go back and return kicks and punts?
Speaker 5: I'm wondering.
Speaker 2: Kickoffs, for certain. I wonder, because they have given him some shot at punt returner. I'm wondering if part of this black stripe is because he's done so well in terms of protecting the ball.
Speaker 5: And that aspect as well.
Speaker 4: You have to check all the boxes.
Speaker 3: You can't be like, well, you know, his grades are really good, but he's putting the ball on the ground in practice. But, you know, the grades, black stripe, like you got to check all the boxes.
Speaker 5: He's trying not to fumble. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Working really hard on not fumbling.
Speaker 3: He looks really disappointed when he puts the ball in.
Speaker 4: Like that doesn't, that does not fly.
Speaker 5: He takes the lap full speed.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, you have.
Speaker 3: To, you've got to be doing everything right. Because like you said, There are plenty of guys who turn out to be perfectly good players at Ohio State who don't lose their black stripe until October of their freshman year.
Speaker 4: Spring of their, you know, spring following their freshman year.
Speaker 3: Plenty of guys who end up being contributors, regular starters here. This is not something that it's like, you know, everybody gets a trophy, everybody loses their black stripe before the first game.
Speaker 4: Like, no, no, no, no, no. If you get it off before the first game, you are earning that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why it's going to be fascinating to see who all plays against Texas. And as you said, that's, that's when you, you will know how the coaches feel about those players and how much they trust them on the road there. So what would a Heisman season Heisman finalism finalist season look like.
Speaker 5: For legend Bay?
Speaker 2: Cause I'm thinking like a Curtis Samuel, but not more running than catching, you know, cause Curtis Samuel had like 70 catches for like 800 yards.
Speaker 5: And I don't think that's the case. We'll see with legend Bay. Um, But as you know, there's also going to be some special teams in there. But is this like just an overall, does he have to rush for 1,000 yards? Does it have to be like 1,200 or 1,300 yards?
Speaker 2: Or is this such an encompassing lightning kind of big plays everywhere? Like he is dangerous, like.
Speaker 5: A Devin Hester.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know he's the best personal player on the field, whether the numbers are there or not.
Speaker 3: It's probably a highlight reel driven thing because he's not– He's not right now someone who you look at and you go, yeah, that guy can take 23 carries a game in the Big Ten. He's not going to be able to do that. So you've got to work around that a little bit. And so that's probably... And we're not talking about this year. This is not a 2026 Heisman Finalist Legend Bay. This is 2027, 2028, whatever it is. Eight carries and five catches and a couple punt returns and a couple kick returns and... And then you're putting out stats that are, you know, 2,300 total yards and 17 touchdowns accounted for in four different ways.
Speaker 4: And then he throws the ball too. And then, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you get, you get the Eric crouch Memorial. Look, our quarterback caught a touchdown pass. Like it's on the other way. It's like, Oh look, it's the row. Look, our running back for a touchdown pass. Isn't that wild. And like, if he can kick, we'll find out he'll get, he'll kick extra point, like whatever. Like it's, That's the kind of stuff you're going to have to do because it's not going to just be a sheer numbers case where it's, you know, like J.K. Dobbins where it's like, well, he ran for 2,000 yards. It's probably not going to happen that way. You're going to have to do it in a little bit of a different shape.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Legend Bay, future Heisman finalist at the very least.
Speaker 4: Put a year on it, Tony. Coward.
Speaker 5: Well, I would say 2028. Or, I mean, there's 2029. 2029. There's 2030. We can go on and on.
Speaker 3: I would imagine the number of players who are projected as true freshmen, as Heisman finalists, by other Heisman finalists in their true freshman season, the overlap between that and five-year players, probably not extremely high, but, you know, maybe.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And remember, Jeremiah Smith said this back in the spring. We didn't get to see a lot of Legend Bay. They saw enough. He saw enough. This guy.
Speaker 2: So there you go, some thoughts on Legend Bay, and mainly some thoughts on what Jeremiah Smith thinks of him.
Speaker 5: What do you guys think? Throw it in the comments, hit the thumbs up, subscribe to the channel.
Speaker 2: And, of course, we are talking about this, believe me, over on the Buckeye Insiders message board. You can find us at BuckeyeInsiders.com. We'd love to see you there. Thank you all for tuning in, and we will talk to you all later.
Speaker 6: Make it my love Love This time Can what I feel Be real Well she threw away the motel key I wish it never meant nothing to me Say you will, I'll say you will If you tell me that Des Moines's alright We could steal a car and leave tonight