Speaker 1: Marketing is hard, but I'll tell you a little secret. It doesn't have to be. Let me point something out. You're listening to a podcast right now, and it's great. You love the host, you seek it out and download it. You listen to it while driving, working out, cooking, even going to the bathroom. Podcasts are a pretty close companion. And this is a podcast ad. Did I get your attention? You can reach great listeners like yourself with podcast advertising from libsynads. Choose from hundreds of top podcasts offering host endorsements, or run a pre produced ad like this one across thousands of shows. To reach your target audience and their favorite podcasts with libsynads, go to libsynads dot com. That's l I B s y n ads dot com today.
Speaker 2: Remaining a live man like this man letting butterfly flappin in wing big ban in a forced man it go cause a tree fall, letting five thousand miles away man, nobody see nobody else.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You got directed.
Speaker 3: Go back a night on the Pan.
Speaker 4: All right, Andrew Edwards, Welcome back to the Jay Burdens Show.
Speaker 3: How you doing, man good? I'm glad to be with you again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we are continuing our much vaunted UH movie review series. Uh, you picked the last one ish kind of You gave me a list and I just dictated to you were doing this week, and we are doing the nineteen ninety eight Comma or like comedy, maybe romance, maybe film Buffalo sixty six. So a little bit of context on this.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: This is one of my brother in law and my wife's favorite movies. They love it. I had, literally I had no preconceptions about either this movie or Vincent Gallo, the director, star writer, And the first time I went through it, I couldn't take it. I tapped out at about the fifty percent mark. It was just too bizarre, too weird, too uncomfortable. And then the second time I sat back through it and genuinely enjoyed it. I don't know if I necessarily have the greatest argument as to why I enjoyed it, but as part of that, I've sort of also become fascinated by Vincent Gallo as sort of the world's most insane film all tour. He is reviled by many people, which is sort of funny. But anyway, Andy, I'll kick it back to you. I'm curious to get your thoughts. We were talking a little bit about, you know, your kind of initial reaction upon seeing the movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, maybe for our listeners, I mean we give them a little bit of you know, the intro there isn't It's an indie movie, so it isn't like there's a highly complicated plot, and the emphasis is really on these characters. And I note a couple other things just to kind of set the table for anybody who does want to see this movie. I noticed going back, I must have seen this like in nineteen ninety eight. I think it was was that right, nineteen ninety eight. It comes out, but I don't remember any of it, and Burden says to me, we're doing this movie, so okay. So I sit down after a very long day, and likewise I didn't make it fifty percent. I wanted to tap out at about I don't know, like really the minute that Vincent Gallo's character gets out of jail, which is how the movie opens, you know, you're like, man, this guy is just gusting, Like this is not somebody that I can identify with, and and therein begins what is really a great movie in many ways, but is extremely difficult anyway for me. For me to get through. One thing to note is he's going for a kind of like seventies John Cassavetti's uh feel and vibe, and that's that's something pretty interesting because he he goes, he brings in Ben Gazara as his dad, who worked with famously John cassavettis on a number of movies, including what I think is Cassavetti's best, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and he's in some other ones. But I think that that plays into how the movie has has situated itself in like popular cultural, popular culture or history. Uh, he's Vincent Gallo, isn't like you were saying earlier. I mean, he's polarizing, but he's got a lot of respect from a lot of people too. So for the audience. Once again, guy gets out of prison and immediately wants to go over and see his parents, who this is all said in Buffalo, which is kind of awful, You know that, Like the weather is very gray, and it's just every everything about it is kind of depressing and weird, which may be accurate. I've never been to Buffalo, have you been?
Speaker 4: It's it's an accurate depiction. It is okay, I'd be sure. I don't know for sure. I'd be shocked if it wasn't filmed there, because if not, that is exactly what Buffalo looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I looked into it a little bit and apparently it is at least almost all shot in Buffalo, and a ton of is shot actually in Vincent Gallo. The director writer is from Buffalo, and a lot of it is shot in his parents' house, in his actual the house that he grew up in. And I will maybe I'll set that the rest of that aside and finish this idea. So against for the listeners, like, not much really happens in terms of plot. He wants to go see his mom and dad. He immediately kidnaps this girl and then dig go over to his mom and dad's house and we find out that he's he's been in jail because he was sort of set up to take the fall for another guy in this betting scheme. He does his five or seven years or something, he gets out and there he is, he has nowhere he has. He's pretty young, and I mean, I guess he's supposed to be maybe thirty or something like late twenties. And from there, yeah, like what do you think, like, not much really happens. It's really about this guy's internal thing and the relationship between him and the girl.
Speaker 4: So you're right, and that is sort of the you know, the a plot right him you know, meeting this girl. It's sort of a inversion of the classic rom com trope where you know, he when he was away in jail. We find this out later in the narrative, used his mentally disabled friend Goon, who is a background character in this, to basically send his parents letters, right, you know, like postdated so that they would think that he is, you know, living this life as a you know, man of mystery, right, flying all around the world. And as part of this, he's married. So he gets out of jail, which is sort of played up in this kind of like sad pathetic way. You know, he's just you know, trying to The whole inciting incident is he's trying to find a bathroom, right. He runs into this dance studio and that's where he sees this girl, Leila, kidnaps her, demands that she drive him to his parents' house, and this is where you get kind of the comedy of it, because he is vacillating between completely normal conversations and insane threats, threatening to kill her, just badgering her constantly, and she is, relatively speaking, a normal person compared to you know, Vincent Gallo, kind of chewing the scenery and so, you know, that's the inciting incident to the main plot. But in the background, we find out that he was put away for betting on the Buffalo Bills at the I think it's isn't at the at the super Bowl. Yeah, and you know, at this this notable super Bowl, he put ten thousand dollars on the Buffalo Bills to win. You know, the best kicker in the league misses the field goal right, screws the game, screws him. And so when he gets out and he's concocted this plan to you know, go find this kicker and shoot him. And so that's sort of the b plot. The background, the interactions between you know, Vincent Gallon and Leila are just off the rip, incredibly uncomfortable, like he's threatening her with the most insane threats over very minor things. This is a very quotable movie. One of the funniest parts is, you know he's kidnapped her, you know, from this dance studio, which is shot in kind of a comedic way, like he's just dragging this girl past like a bunch of eight year old girls like doing ballet. But he goes out to her car, he shoves her in the passenger seat, he gets in the driver's seat, and we find out that, you know, she drives, you know, a manual. Weirdly enough, this is funny that this car was at the time sort of a comedic ship box. Now those old eighties Corollas are worth like fifteen grand, bare minimum. Just a funny aside has this massive blowout right where he talks about I don't know how to drive shifter cars. I drive luxury cars. Do you know what a luxury car is? I drive cataloged, just berating this almost completely silent woman, which you're right, it's incredibly uncomfortable, but man, it is it is pretty funny. It is chewing the scenery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God, there's so many scenes like that. I thought you were going to go for the one where he's talking about he's threatening her, you know what he will do if she runs off, But the whole time she never gives there's zero indication that she's ever going to run off, which is part of the comedy. Right Like he does kind of violently grab her, which I came back to towards the end in you know, sort of like a primitive sense. He establishes this like absolute base level relationship with her right there, and he there's sort of like this indication, well, you know, maybe he's going to abscond with her a raper, and it turns out to be the absolute opposite of that. Right at the end, his like, mommy problems are so profound that when when the time comes when this relationship gets like quote intimate, we can get there to that, because that's its whole other thing. But the way that heh he describes what he's going to do to her, you know, I'm going to take a big bite out of your cheek and then shot it out. He there's no capacity when this within this guy to actually do this to her, and there's no indication from her that she's actually going to leave, and so it sets this bizarre tension that is you're right, like kind of comedy gold where you wonder, like, what what are these people doing? What is really happening here? When she He's not going to come through on any of these threats. He's totally inept and she doesn't even want to leave and she's just met him. Like, what's going on with that part of it? What did you make of the Christina Ricci characters just kind of giving over to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's interesting because she is, in a weird way, incredibly passive, right, she's just along for the ride, and you know, someone that's just artifsts, right, it's a moody or whatever. But I do think that it is It is incredibly interesting, especially because she seems to be basically the only person in the world who actually pays attention to Vincent Gallo in any capacity at all, and he's otherwise sort of, you know, completely ignored. And I think it's interesting because you sort of see this distinction between like, and it's funny me I haven't even using his real name because it is there are kind of questions about how autobiographical this movie is, right, but you know, Gallo's kind of very incomplete projected self image and how everyone else actually sees him because you know, up to the very beginning, you don't actually know really what's going on. You know, you are not given the sort of context about you know, taking the dive and the bet and all that, right, and so you know, you're sort of in real time learning that this guy is kind of just a massive loser. Like his best friend is special needs, his parents hate him, he doesn't really have anything going on in life other than you know, this relationship with with Leila. And what's interesting, and we'll get into this at the end of the movie, is that his sort of core motivation is sort of killing the guy who sent him to prison, right, this kicker. Yeah, and that is sort of the one animating thrust throughout this entire movie, and he is able to sort of discard that for this relationship in a way that's oddly touching given the griminess of this movie. Otherwise, I want I actually to get back to your much earlier point about you know, sort of the the echoes to the seventies. It's kind of interesting thing. So obviously this was the late nineties, so it's a little bit ahead of the curve. But in my mind, really the two thousands through the twenty tens are like kind of this this weird like the emergence of kind of retro futurism, Like you see this in car designs, right, Like the class like the new Mini, the Volkswagen Beetle, all of those being brought back as kind of echoes to a previous era. So in film as well, I mean to be honest, a lot of Tarantino's work is again calling back to the kind of grind house look. Robert Rodriguez, you know, basically made a career on doing exactly that. But I think it's interesting as well because I actually hadn't even thought about that, but once you mentioned it, like, there are multiple features of this that are basically out of you know, a movie twenty years earlier, right, the whole the whole fact that this guy, like, I mean to be honest, the way he's dressed, but the you know, the the prominence of bowling, right this, that whole scene is sort of dripping in it. And uh, yeah, it's funny. I would not have noticed that, but you're you're kind of spot on on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was one of the first things that I noticed because it's shot in film too. I mean, it must have been shot in film. I don't think that digital was really even available at that time. And you're right, I mean the clothes, the weird like platform boots, these red he's wearing this drab, kind of totally gray out fit and it's all skinny.
Speaker 4: The boots are kind of Thomas seven seven. You can see him where in those boots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point, they really are again. And then he has these like almost like ruby slippers, sort of just one splash of color. And uh, some of the techniques too that I actually liked. Some of the lighting techniques he seems to homage maybe maybe David Lynch with eraser Head, although David Lynch uses this technique later in his career too, where he a spotlight sort of erupts into the naturalistic lighting and you know, draws us into some sort of a dream scenario. That's one he uses that technique of where he which I thought was I have. I usually don't like that sort of stuff, you know, like gimmicks or whatever, especially maybe now as you point out, like it's it's almost like it's gone through one loop back and then another, and in each loop back it maybe gets a little bit I don't know if it's compressing into some like truth or if it's kind of getting deluded. I'm really not sure. But he uses this technique of many screens within the screen and I have to admit that was pretty all right.
Speaker 4: Andrew Edwards, Welcome back to the Jay Burdon Show.
Speaker 3: How you doing, man good. I'm glad to be with you again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So we are continuing our much vaunted movie review series. You picked the last one ish kind of You gave me a list and I just dictated to you before doing this week, and we are doing the nineteen ninety eight Comma or like comedy, maybe romance, maybe film Buffalo sixty six. So a little bit of content text on this. This is one of my brother in law and my wife's favorite movies.
Speaker 3: They love it.
Speaker 4: I had, literally I had no preconceptions about either this movie or Vincent Gallo, the director, star writer, And the first time I went through it, I couldn't take it. I tapped out at about the fifty percent mark. It was just too bizarre, too weird, too uncomfortable. And then the second time I sat back through it and genuinely enjoyed it. I don't know if I necessarily have the greatest argument as to why I enjoyed it, but as part of that, I've sort of also become fascinated by Vincent Gallo as sort of the world's most insane film all Tour. He is reviled by many people, which is sort of funny. But anyway, Andy, I'll kick it back to you. I'm curious to get your thoughts. We're talking a little bit about, you know, your kind of initial reaction upon seeing the movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, maybe for our listeners, I mean we give them a little bit of you know, the intro there isn't it's it's an indie movie, so it isn't like there's a highly complicated plot, and the emphasis is really on these characters. And I note a couple other things just to kind of set the table for anybody who does want to see this movie. I noticed going back, I must have seen this like in nineteen ninety eight. I think it was was that right, nineteen ninety eight. It comes out, but I don't remember any of it, and Burden says to me, we're doing this movie, so okay. So I sit down after a very long day, and likewise I didn't make it fifty percent. I wanted to tap out at about I don't know, like really the minute that Vincent Gallo's character gets out of jail, which is how the movie opens, you know, you're like, man, this Guy is is is disgusting, Like this is not somebody that I can identify with, And therein begins what is really a great movie in many ways, but is extremely difficult anyway for me, for me to get through. One thing to note is he's going for a kind of like seventies John Cassavetti's feel and vibe, and that's that's something pretty interesting because he he goes, he brings in Ben Gazara as his dad, who worked with famously John cassavettis on a number of movies, including what I think is Cassavetti's best, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and he's in some other ones. But I think that that plays into how the movie has has situated itself in like popular cultural, popular culture or history. He's Vincent Gallo isn't like you were saying earlier. I mean, he's polarizing, but he's got a lot of respect from a lot of people too. So for the audience. Once again, guy gets out of prison and immediately wants to go over and see his parents, who this is all said in Buffalo, which is kind of awful. You know that, Like the weather is very gray and it's every everything about it is kind of depressing and weird, which may be accurate. I've never been to Buffalo, have you been?
Speaker 4: It's it's an accurate depiction, it is okay, I'd be sure. I don't know for sure. I'd be shocked if it wasn't filmed there, because if not, that is exactly what buffle looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I looked into it a little bit and apparently it is at least almost all shot in Buffalo, and a ton of it is shot actually in Vincent Gallo. The director writer is from Buffalo, and a lot of it is shot in his parents' house, in his actual the house that he grew up in. And I will maybe I'll set that the rest of that aside and finish this idea. So against for the listeners, like, not much really happens in terms of plot. He wants to go see his mom and dad. He immediately kidnaps this girl and then dig go over to his mom and dad's house and we find out that he's been in jail because he was sort of set up to take the fall for another guy in this betting scheme. He does his five or seven years or something. He gets out and there he is he has nowhere he has. He's pretty young, and I mean I guess he's supposed to be maybe thirty or something like late twenties. And from there, yeah, like what do you think, Like, not much really happens. It's really about this guy's internal thing and the relationship between him and the girl.
Speaker 4: So you're right, and that is sort of the you know, the a plot, right him, you know, meeting this girl. It's sort of a inversion of the classic rom com trope where you know, he when he was away in jail. We find this out later in the narrative, used his mentally disabled friend Goon, who is a background character in this, to basically send his parents letters, right, you know, like postdated so that they would think that he is, you know, living this life as a you know, man of mystery, right, flying all around the world, and as part of this he's man. So he gets out of jail, which is sort of played up in this kind of like sad pathetic way. You know, he's just you know, trying to The whole inciting incident is he's trying to find a bathroom, right. He runs into this dance studio and that's where he sees this girl, Leila, kidnaps her, demands that she drive him to his parents' house, and this is where you get kind of the comedy of it, because he is vacillating between completely normal conversations and insane threats, threatening to kill her, just badgering her constantly, and she is, relatively speaking, a normal person compared to you know, Vincent Gallo, kind of chewing the scenery. And so, you know, that's the inciting incident to the main plot. But in the background, we find out that he was put away for betting on the Buffalo Bills at the I think it's isn't at the at the super Bowl, Yeah, and you know, at this this notable super Bowl. Yeah, he put ten thousand dollars on the Buffalo Bills to win. You know, the best kicker in the league misses the field goal right, screws the game, screws him. And so when he gets out and he's concocted this plan to you know, go find this kicker and shoot him. And so that's sort of the b plot. The background, the interactions between you know, Vincent gall and Layla are just off the rip, incredibly uncomfortable, like he's threatening her with the most insane threats over very minor things. This is a very quotable movie. One of the funniest parts is, you know, he's kidnapped her, you know, from this dance studio, which is shot in kind of a comedic way, like he's just dragging this girl past like a bunch of eight year old girls like doing ballet. But he goes out to her car, he shoves her in the passenger seat, he gets in the driver's seat, and we find out that, you know, she drives, you know, a manual. Weirdly enough, this is funny that this car was at the time sort of a comedic ship box, and now those old eighties Corollas are worth like fifteen grand bare minimum. Just a funny aside, has this massive blowout right where he talks about, I don't know how to drive shifter cars. I drive luxury cars. Do you know what a luxury car is? I drive catalogs, just berating this almost completely silent woman, which you're right, it's incredibly uncomfortable, but man, it is it is pretty funny. It is chewing the scenery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, God that there's so many scenes like that. I thought you were going to go for the one where he's talking about he's threatening her, you know what he will do if she runs off, But the whole time she never gives there's zero indication that she's ever going to run off, which is part of the comedy, right Like he does kind of violently grab her, which I came back to towards the end, and in you know, sort of like a primitive sense, he establishes this like absolute base level relationship with her right there, and he there's sort of like this indication, well, you know, maybe he's going to abscond with her a raper, and it turns out to be the absolute opposite of that. Right at the end, his like, mommy problems are so profound that when when the time comes when this relationship gets like quote intimate, we can get there to that, because that's its whole other thing. But the way that heh he describes what he's going to do to her, you know, I'm going to take a big bite out of your cheek and then shift it out. He there's no capacity when this within this guy to actually do this to her, and there's no indication from her that she's actually going to leave, and so it sets this bizarre tension that is You're right, like kind of comedy gold where you wonder, like, what are these people doing? What is really happening here? When she he's not going to come through on any of these threats. He's totally inept and she doesn't even want to leave and she's just met him. Like, what's going on with that part of it? What did you make of the Christina Ricci characters just kind of giving over to that? Yeah, Well, it's.
Speaker 4: Interesting because she is, in a weird way, incredibly passive, right, She's just along for the ride, and you know, some of that's just artificts right, it's a moody or whatever. But I do think that it is It is incredibly interesting, especially because she seems to be basically the only person in the world who actually pays attention to Vincent Gallo in any capacity at all, and he's otherwise sort of, you know, completely ignored. And I think it's interesting because you sort of see this distinction between like, and it's funny me I don't even using his real name because it is there are kind of questions about how autobiographical this movie is, right, but you know, Gallo's kind of very incomplete projected self image and how everyone else actually sees him, because you know, up to the very beginning, you don't actually know really what's going on. You know, you are not given the sort of context about you know, taking the dive and the bet and all that, right, and so you know, you're sort of in real time learning that this guy is kind of just a massive loser. Like his best friend is special needs, his parents hate him, he doesn't really have anything going on in life other than you know, this relationship with with Leila. And what's interesting, and we'll get into this at the end of the movie, is that his sort of core motivation is sort of killing the guy who sent him to prison, right this kicker, and that is sort of the one animating thrust throughout this entire movie, and he is able to sort of discard that for this relationship in a way that's oddly touching given the griminess of this movie. Otherwise, I want, I actually to get back to your much earlier point about you know, sort of the the echoes to the seventies. It's kind of interesting thing. So obviously this was the late nineties, so it's a little bit ahead of the curve. But in my mind, really the two thousands through the twenty tens are like kind of this this weird like the emergence of kind of retro futurism, Like you see this in card designs, right, like the class, like the new Mini, the Volkswagen Beetle, all of those being brought back as kind of echoes to a previous era, but also in in film as well, I mean to be honest, a lot of Tarantino's work is again calling back to the kind of grind house look. Robert Rodriguez, you know, basically made a career on doing exactly that. But I think it's interesting as well because I actually hadn't even thought about that, but once you mentioned it, Like, there are multiple features of this that are basically out of you know, a movie twenty years earlier, right, the whole the whole fact that this guy, like I mean to be honest, the way he's dressed, but the you know, the the prominence of bowling, right this that whole scene is sort of dripping in it, And uh, yeah, it's funny. I would not have noticed that, but you're you're kind of spot on on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was one of the first things that I noticed because it's shot in film too. I mean it must have been shot in film. I don't think that digital was really even available at that time. And you're right, I mean the clothes, the weird like platform boots, these red He's wearing this drab, kind of totally gray outfit and it's all skinny.
Speaker 4: The boots are kind of Thomas seven seven. You could see him wearing those boots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point, they really are again. And then he has these like almost like ruby slippers, sort of just one splash of color. And uh, some of the techniques too that I actually liked. Some of the lighting techniques he seems to homage maybe maybe David Lynch with eraser Head, although David Lynch uses this technique later in his career too, where he a spotlight sort of erupts into the naturalistic lighting and you know, draws us into some sort of a dream scenario. That's one he uses that technique of where he which I thought was I have. I usually don't like that sort of stuff, you know, like gimmicks or whatever, especially maybe now as you point out, like it's it's almost like it's gone through one loop back and then another, and in each loop back it maybe gets a little bit. I don't know if it's compressing into some like truth or if it's kind of getting diluted. I'm really not sure. But he uses this technique of many screens within the screen, and I have to admit that was pretty pretty useful and pretty cool way to kind of, you know, he would transition into backstory, and he would transition like kind of to show the interior of his character's mind. And I guess overall, you know, it seems like in reading up on the movie that Gallo wrote the script ten years earlier and didn't really expect to be the director. But I don't know how true that is when I think about Vincent Gallo and like what he has become. But then again, I don't know. I was hoping to go back to you because this aspect where you don't really know, like how much of this is Vincent Gallo and how much isn't and then how much because this has been you know, he's been queried on this point many many times. I don't think he's giving like the truth. I don't think Vincent Gallo the man is concerned about the truth. What do you think when you take this whole package in, I feel like this is more like the younger generation. He's kind of preempted gen X, and he's kind of picked up on your guy's stuff, like a layer deeper than maybe gen X experienperience is it where he's using irony and I begin, what do you think? What do you make of all that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there are several things there. I mean, it's become kind of trite to refer to someone as almost a performance artist, but let's be honest, that's what Vincent Galo is doing. His personal website is insane and really funny, and you could just imagine him grinning because it has some of the most insane offensive one of one hand painted T shirts. For instance, It's like, and I'll have to beat this, but it's like, you know, like Barack Obama, it just says faggot giant red block letters. He has an application where you can apply for five hundred thousand dollars for a natural or artificial dose of his sperm, provided that you're attractive enough, and it's like a like, I'm not doing it. It's like a three page rant about who will and won't meet his criteria, including entire races and continence. He is not interested in so like you look at that and you're like, all right, clearly he is to a certain degree playing a bit right. He is, you know, deliberately sort of casting himself in opposition to Hollywood, you know, while at the same time, you know, being surrounded by you know, you know, high fashion all that. So he's not truly this sort of he's I don't believe he is truly the character he portrays. But as regards kind of like the the irony of it, I think that's a very interesting element one of the things that and that's sort of I guess in my mind what I find irritating in the conversation around this movie is you have a lot of kind of pearl clutching responses that say, oh, you know, Vincent Gallo is just horrible to women in this movie. This is a you know, a misogynistic movie. And it's like, well, I mean, if this person actually existed and actually did this shore but I think that that's almost a too direct reading of this film. And I think that you know, from my mind, what we're what we're sort of seeing is you know, this man who's sort of marked by profound abandonment. So the and I don't know if it's actually true, but it feels like the longest section of this movie. It is sort of like the cinematic equivalent of having your your fingernails pulled out, uh is you know the scene at his parents'.
Speaker 3: House, Yes, this girl, it's so bad.
Speaker 4: It goes on forever like, it's genuinely so uncomfortable. And his parents, particularly his mother, is literally obsessed with the Buffalo Bills. You know, their house is decorated in that manner. She's watching rerun while they're at the table. And to almost a comedic degree, his parents, particularly his mother, are uninterested in Billy, that's you know, the name of you know, Gallo's character. They're slightly interested in in Layla a little bit, not very much, but I mean really that is her entire life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Again, this is sort of those you know, it's so over the top, it's sort of played for a joke. The moment where they you know, this girl asks, oh, well, can I see a picture of Billy And they're going through there, you know, their their photo album and it's just her with an increasingly obscure list of people connected to the Buffalo Ells. You know, it starts off with players then like you know, SYSI athletic directors, and then it gets to you know, like the caterer and the bus driver and of of course, right it's played for a joke. But when they finally go to see you know, Billy's photo, it's it's somewhere else. It's all folded up in gross and you know, we get this kind of again slightly comedic, over the top childhood trauma where his dad you know, chokes his puppy to death in front of him for barking too loudly. And interesting enough, that's shot. I don't know if it actually the aspect ratio changes, but that's another time where we see that sort of frame within a frame and it shot almost like eight millimeter film, right, like it has that sort of film autests are going to get on me for that, but it looks like you know, kind of a handheld you know, film camera. Yeah, you know, kind of interestingly done. And so with regards to the you know, kind of the irony of this, it's like, well, obviously he's sort of playing it up, hamming it up. This is comedic in a certain sense. You know, it's so over the top, and we'll see that, you know, even in the conclusion to the movie. But also I think that there is something interesting being said there about this kind of the culture of distraction and abandonment, right, this idea that you know, his his mother in particular, is so much more obsess with something that is fake and not real. You know, that is this kind of like TV you know experience that she is completely and totally disconnected from her son. And as these people have no doubt heard me complain about the last two weeks, we've been just buried in snow here, and so my wife and I have been walking to most places just because it's you know, safer.
Speaker 5: And more reliable.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And while we were walking you know, through the ice, she was you know, she was talking about this movie and just kind of speculating about how it is could be reinterpreted, as you know, politics and culture have shifted, right, because there's a certain reading of this which is the kind of you know, very generic TV bad you know, it rots your brain kind of reading. But I think it's it's interesting one to the degree that like we genuinely see this exact same dynamic with many people of the kind of you know, boomer and silent generation with you know, news of all type, but also right, like the skinner box in your pocket, you know, this sort of like you know, device of distraction which kind of pulls you away from you know, your actual human connections. And clearly this is marked Billy, right, you were talking about again his kind of you know, mommy issues, right he is. That is the hole that he is sort of trying to fix. H one other moment, and you know you mentioned the kind of film gimmicks, and I'll kick it back to you. There's a there's sort of a bizarre scene. Uh, and Billy's dad is just lecherous this entire time, like almost a ludicrous degree.
Speaker 3: It's just like.
Speaker 4: Feeling up this moment. And you know, he invites her into another room to listen to him sing Yeah, and he basically just lip syncs Frank Sinatra, I believe on a record player for almost an unbroken two minutes as he stares into the camera like he's on stage at Vaudeville. Very bizarre scene. So I'll kick it back to you Edward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, extremely bizarre and very uncomfortable. Right, Like there's this the whole time. I maybe I saw this long time ago and I'm not sure that I ever did see the whole movie, but this time I'm just waiting for him to try and rape her or make a move on her. In some sense, there's this just awful undercurrent to the whole thing, like established at the level that now lecherous dad and young girl with you know, half of her chest exposed. They're back in this back room and Billy is just looking at the one picture that they have of him. She has that his mom has this whole catalog as as you mentioned, of all of her absurd buffalo Bill's connections, and they have one single picture of their son. And when they switch over to the Ben Gazzara character, his dad and by the way, evidently this is another one of these these crossover weird misunder I don't know how we understand this. Evidently, Vincent Gallow's dad really does have some incredibly beautiful singing voice, and he is this guy who's I mean, you imagine sitting in some you know, like depressing basement imagining what he could have been. And that's Vincent Gallow's actual experience of Evidently his dad is just this maniacal asshole, like over the top and real like that's what Vincent Gallow's experience of having a father is. And evidently his mother is not too far from this over the top vision that he presents in the film. But yeah, it thinking about it and talking about it with you now I realize Gallo is pulling more from David Lynch in terms of his style and technique than I ever noticed before. I have seen his other Is It Brown Bunny is his other kind of controversial film, and those are probably the only they may be his only two movies, but I have seen that one, but I did not realize how much of the Lynchian ethos esthetic that he is just borrowing from fully. And it's in that scene with the puppy, it's like it's almost just note for note Lynchi and how he's moved or altered the visual just enough and then gone into this type of absurd level of violence. And you know, part of the discomfort in watching it now I think wasn't wasn't like available to viewers in it wasn't available to me. Okay, this level where it's kind of common to hear of these just horror stories of how bad parents are. I mean, I don't I look at normal parents around me now and I have to I have to be critical of them. They're not hitting like a standard benchmark where and I'm talking about people at church, people who are otherwise pretty good citizens. I'm still looking over at them saying, Jesus, this parenting is really substandard. So if you go back, you know, this is thirty five years I one thing that stands out about this is and part of why Vincent Gallow must be kind of hated is, Dude, he saw this like narcissism of the female and the corruption of the mother figure, evidently through his own experience, which is horrible and tragic and probably explains why he's such an asshole himself now. But that was so like, that was thirty years ahead of the curve, and it's points like that where at the end of the movie, I really had that moment of I had to reevaluate a lot of my not very developed conceptions of Vincent Gallo as an artist, as you say, like he's a performance artist, he's associated, he's made albums, he's doing all sorts of really strange things and not strange and just unusual, and maybe maybe he deserves maybe some more credit than he's been given. Because I guarantee you that if we were to go back in the record and look at reviews, nobody could have I don't think taken on that vision of the mother as so just she's the worst to me. I mean that scene that you mentioned where they're at the table is so hard to take. And it's not because of like personal stuff related to me. I think it's every human being watches this and it's like, this dude has literally nothing. I mean, his mom doesn't even give a shit about him, and his dad, of course, is terrible.
Speaker 4: So two things there. One that's kind of interesting again about the character of his mother is that you know, his dad is this sort of you know, quiet but still domineering presence, but he occupies a very small space physically within the house. You know, he has his his room right where he goes to sing, but you Billy's mom runs the roost, right Her stuff is everywhere that you know, the Buffalo Bill's memorabilia is on every part of the house, and even you know, when Billy leaves, you know, she's in the kitchen and his dad is retreating back to kind of his little cave.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that that's a very interesting dynamic to bring up as well. Now obviously there's again the kind of over the top, you know parts of this. One of the things that she brings up, you know, at the table is how upset she was that she was giving birth to Billy when the Bills were at the Super Bowl in nineteen sixty six and she missed, you know, the big moment. Yeah, and she says, you know, I think that's why. I think that was the curse. You know, I was there with them for the whole season, and then I wasn't and they lost the big game. But there's actually kind of a an interesting dynamic between you know, her and Layla, where Layla is, for some reason inexplicably trying to do a very good job of pretending to be you know, Billy's devoted fiance. You know, she's you know, saying how much she likes him, you know, telling the story of how they met, all the things that normal parents would be concerned with. She even says like, oh, we're having a baby, which is obviously not true. She's just lying. But throughout the entire thing.
Speaker 5: Patchy Wi Fi getting in the wave of your day, relax Sky's full fiber broadband is ninety nine reliable and only thirty euro a month for twelve months. Make your broadband one less thing to worry about. Started Sky Broadband to find out more availability, subjects, location. New customers only include Skybrowband Ultra Fast five hundred megabit twelve month minim term applies, terms apply her.
Speaker 4: Billy's dad is just like eyeing her up the entire time shamelessly, and Billy's mom is at the table turned the opposite direction, watching a taped game from twenty five years ago, right like getting up and cheering during the whole thing. And it's this this moment where you and I think you are supposed to both hate and sympathize with Billy because he is he's despicable, right, He's just the worst. And he even like halfway through this conversation he gets up to go burrate goon his best friend, who is You're living at home with his mom.
Speaker 3: He has like.
Speaker 4: That this shoot, the shot composition on this insane. He's got like like open containers of like giddy pigs in this like disgusting room. The shot is him shirtless with to be polite, his underwear slightly too far down his body, and it's shot from like his chest to like his knees, like you you he's just disgusting.
Speaker 3: Shot flats is awful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's just in the other room berating this simple minded kid for you know, not giving him the information as to where this you know kicker who who you know flubbed the big game is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: So, you know, Billy eventually, you know, gets that information, he decides to, you know, leave this is you know, roughly about the kind of fifty to fifty mark and you know, Billy goes to uh, you know the this you know, bowling Alley, and you know, it's his first time out of jail. The guy he talks to, you know, says like, oh, yeah, we kept your locker for you, all your stuff, and this is I don't want to say this is one of the most bizarre scenes, but it's up there. This is this scene is there's a whole lot going on. So we get a couple of things, which is one, you know, Billy goes in and we see his you know, his lockers undisturbed. He does seem to have some sort of you know, like friendship connection to the guy who runs it, right uh, And we get a couple of things in his locker. We get, you know, a whole bunch of sort of memorabilia of him as a highly talented youth bowler, bowl one who bowls. I don't know what the term of that is sort of echoing in what we see in his father's room, right, the idea of this kind of untapped potential derailed by life, and also Chekhov's school picture, right, a picture of a girl and when uh, you know, Leyla asks about he goes, oh, you know, it's some girlfriend I had. You know, I've had a lot of girlfriends or whatever.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: He starts bowling, and he's bowling a perfect game. He she asks if he can, if she can take a turn. She gets a strike, and at that moment, he's his concentration is ruined, right, he can't do anything. There's a very bizarre scene where she tap dances and seemingly this sort of dream state. Yeah for again like two minutes. I don't really have an explanation for that. It's a very odd scene.
Speaker 3: It is, well, it's it's again this like Lynch technique where right, like the spotlight, the unnatural spotlight hits the otherwise naturalistic lighting and we're just in the stream sequence. I don't mean to cut you off, but I just wanted to say there again, you're right the other since I did interrupt you, I just wanted to mention that that scene like changes the whole game for me with respect to Billy, because you realize, like, wait a minute, this dude has something like a really he's like, like you say, like a bowling savant or something. He's got this very like like they say the third place or whatever. He's he's a loser at school, he's a loser at home, but he goes to this bowling alley evidently and he becomes like this stud. I mean, the dude behind the counter is it seems to evidence like genuine admiration and respect, and Vincent Gallo kind of changes into this like a gangster suave, like like a like a real dude, and then he just hits strike after strike up to strike. And it occurred to me, like part of I don't mean to jump too far ahead, but it just occurred to me as I was watching this, like, oh, Billy's whole thing here in terms of like the parents that don't love him, and you know, his diminished avenues in life or what have you. He makes this bet on his mom's dream, you know, the Buffalo Bills is to come through, and this derails everything. When he had this opportunity if he really had the ten grand, which it's not clear if you ever even had the ten grand to make the bet which gets him in so much trouble. But he could have bet. He could have like, you know, the expression like bet on yourself, like believe in yourself, which in some way does manifest at the end of the film, where he's he's kind of been able to wend his way through the little you know, like the psychic forest that he's been dumped into by these completely insufficient parents who have left him. Like on the one hand, he has this vision of females in general, which is it's just putrid. I mean, you could not if you had this mom like and you and you wind up at all functional, it would be a miracle. And if you have this dad likewise, you know, to think that you could find it within yourself to be good at something. So I just wanted to throw in that for me. When he when he shows that he there's a part of him that is cool, that is capable, and and he has his talent of bowling, and he may have had the opportunity to to bet that ten grand on himself and go a whole other way anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's that's sort of an interesting thing as well, right, that he was he was doomed by in a way kind of ultimately seeking you know, approval from his approval from his you know, neglectful mother, Like that is ultimately the thing that's sort of damned, you know, trying to you know, fill that void directly.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: So you're rounding out the scene at the bowling alley. Uh, there's another eminently quotable and incredibly bizarre scene where you know, he decides like I want you know, he drags her into a photo booth, you know, and basically it's like, all right, I gotta get I gotta have photos to send my my parents, right, and we gotta keep, you know, changing the background so it looks like we're in different places or at different times. That obviously that that has flawed with it. But it's this sort of scene where they're together, you know, in this cramp photo booth, kind of shot from the camera's pov in the photo booth, and you know, it goes through the first time, and he's just furious with her. It's like no, no, no, we're a couple that likes each other but doesn't touch. We span time together and just just says that in minor derivations throughout the entire thing. You know that he's interestingly enough because this will you know circle background. He's furious with her for wasting his money, right, the idea that we had to go through this process of getting photos. It's like fifty cents, right, in consequential amount of money. Uh. But yes, they they you know a bit, they leave the bowling alley, uh and you know head out to I believe they go to Denny's next. Is that the next?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: And so this is a again we see you know both you know, kind of Chekhov school portrait and this kind of view of you know, Billy as this this kind of social outcast, because you know, while they're there, he runs into this girl, right, the girl from the photo, and we find out that not only has she played, it's this kind of like comically awful shallow person dating some like like soulless corporate suit. You know it even kind of taunting. Billy is like, oh, you're that weirdo who followed me around. I don't even know your name. And you know, he's having this sort of hushed conversation with Laila while the other couple is making out in the back in this Denny's and it gets kind of more and more over the top, and it's never again, it's all out of focus really, So you're like watching this like very hushed, serious conversation while there's just this like flailing going on in the background. Again, Uh, incredibly uncomfortab Well, you know, they leave and they head basically you know, one of the things that they've talked about, uh, you know, while they're driving around, and while she's driving him around in her car is you know, she says like, oh, you know, like do you want to come back to my place? He you know, kind of throws her off, says no, and well we're at Denny's. He's been you know, constantly looking at the clock right trying to figure out like, okay, like when can I go to this this I think it's the strip club like off the side of the highway where this buffalo Bill's retired kicker you know, owns. And so, you know, when they leave the Denny's right. He basically like says like all right, like we're done, you can go home now, goes to the payphone, calls this strip club and finds out, oh, the guy's not into not He doesn't come in until two am. It's like eight or whatever. He's like, all right, fine, I guess we can go get a hotel. They go back to again. It just absolutely horrible hole in the wall motel. Like it's it's just grim and dirty, and the whole thing is like it almost has this green cast to it. Yeah, and you know, the two of them go back. Clearly she is envisioning, you know, romantic entanglement. He is not at all. There's a very funny moment where he wants to go take a bath and so you know, he gets into the he gets into the bath and she's like, oh, hey, you know, can I come in? And he's just aghast. He's like, no, you cannot, you know, I want to be in the bath. And it's it's again, there's never any time for this, you know, to be comedic. It's just sort of something you notice. But you know, as she sort of wears him down, we see this you know evolution where it's like okay, we can come in, but you can't look. So she's like, you know, got her hands over her eyes, and then you know, it kind of cuts to the next stage of the conversation. They're in the bath together and you see her, you know, presumably wearing and then the pants over to Billy and he's wearing a shirt. It's just a very funny, like background joke through the whole thing. But as that, you know, as that develops, right, the two of them, I mean literally just sit in or like lay in bed next to each other. Again, they're they're sort of shot in this way where you can see he is incredibly uncomfortable with this. He's sort of you know, arms together on the opposite side. But you know, ultimately the time comes for him to go to you know, confront the man who sent him to jail maybe, and so as he he gets up to leave, you know, she's like, hey, like, what are you doing? You know, where are you going? AND's go, you know, I was going to bring you if I bring you some coffee, something that she had expressed interest in earlier, and she says like, okay, we'll just like if you're not going to come back, just tell me. He's like, yeah, I'll come back, and while going through his items in you know, this locker, this bowling alley, he pulled out, you know, a tiny little pocket pistol, right like one of those tiny little Saturday night specials. It is, again, kind of comediically small, and he's, you know, as he walks out of the hotel, which we realize now is across the street from this strip club. Uh, you know, we see him pull out the gun and is you know, as he walks in, he calls Goon again. Now I don't remember what Goon's actual name is, but a major theme in their interaction Rocky, yes, is that Goon doesn't want to be called Goon anymore. He wants to be called Rocky, and Billy has been making fun of him the entire time, again being very cruel to this disabled man. Ironically enough, by the way, I don't you notice this, One of the things he criticizes Goon slash Rocky for is always doing exactly what his mother tells him to, which I thought was a very interesting thing that you know, Billy identifies that in Goon, not in his own experience, but he stands outside and basically, you know, says, you know, all right, good, like you can have all my stuff, kind of signaling that he's going in on a one way mission. So we've covered a lot of ground there and before we get into kind of the the climax, I'm curious if there's anything you wanted to add.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, because one of the few things that I've I made some notes about was this issue of time. It pops up again and again and again. Where it really is made obvious in that scene in the little photo booth where he's saying something about you know, the present. He's screaming at her to put on some sort of facial expression that will evidence this idea of we span time, we're married, that's not you know, not you're a whore, not now any of this other stuff. Now you want to kiss me, We spend time, and he hits this, hits this beat over and over and over. There's you know