Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com. It beats listening to nothing. Oh my goodness, being Frank, where the only way to be is Frank. Hello everyone, and welcome to being Frank. We're the only way to be is Frank. I'm your host, Franklebono. What I'd like to thank you for once again joining us on what we like to call the Intelligent Conversation Podcast, where no conversations out of bounds, in all points of view are welcome. We're going live to tape on the twenty seventh of December, So I want to wish everybody at Merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, a happy Kwanza, whatever holiday you choose to celebrate, have a great one. You know, the passage of some birthdays is more significant than others, like reaching those involving certain significant milestones, such as the age of consent or getting the right to vote. Others take on a personal sentimental importance simply because of the significance of the number, like turning thirty, fifty or seventy, or perhaps there was a significant event in your life that made the year particularly important and memorable. Well, I feel the same way about the passage of calendar years too. The events that occurred in any given year often defined the significance of that time itself. Certainly, every calendar year provides changes that affect our daily lives, both in the present and future. But to what extent well, With the end of twenty twenty four rapidly approaching, it's that time again to feature the top stories for the year and the impact they may or may not have had on our lives. And who better to provide the expert analysis than Fordham University Professor of Mass Media Studies, frequent contributor Being Frank, and a man I'm proud to call colleague and friend, doctor Paul Levinson. Paul, thank you for once again joining us here on Being Frank. You're always welcome, as you well know.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks again for inviting me. It wouldn't seem like a holiday season, or it wouldn't seem like a time to celebrate if I wasn't a guest on your show, So thank you again.
Speaker 1: I always take the plugs, you know, I'm shameless that way. Somebody's got to do it, so I appreciate it. And you've had a very eventful year. Also, we're going to talk a little bit more about that after the break too, I want you to share some of the accomplishments that you've had this year too, which I know has been a very special year for you. But let's talk about twenty twenty four and some of the more impactful stories. You gave me a list of eight. I'm going to add three more at the end, and we'll go in reverse order from relative importance. But they were all important in one way or another. So let's dissect the list. And I said, we'll start with number eight. And I find it very interesting that you chose a movie as a significant event in twenty twenty four, the just released I believe it was released on Christmas Day, the Bob Dylan bio pick a Complete Unknown, and you call it the best biopic ever made. Talk a little bit about why you feel that way and why it has significance beyond the fact of just a movie.
Speaker 2: Well, my wife Tina and I did see that movie on Christmas Day, and by the way, that's a tradition that Jewish people tend to do. We either eat in Chinese restaurants or go to the movies, So we were up holding that tradition. But the movie was really amazing and let me just say as a sort of brief preface to this that you know, a lot of people have a good time pointing out how the movie was not completely accurate, and I have news for everyone. Not only are biopics never completely accurate, even flat out documentaries aren't completely accurate because obviously the filmmaker, the television producer, the director makes it acision to leave certain things out because you can't cover everything, even a straight up in a straight up documentary. So granted that a complete unknown has a fair number of scenes in which words weren't actually said in real life, or the scenes themselves didn't happen, But here is what is good, better than good about the movie and really ranked true with me. First of all, there were two performances Edward Norton as Pete Seeger and Timothy Challamet as Bob Dylan, that were really at the top of just about any performance I've ever seen in any biopic. And obviously that's a situation which biopicks are vulnerable, because if you have an actor who doesn't have the right tone in a voice, who doesn't have the right gestures, obviously they're not going to have exactly the same face but that does take away from the biopic. And both of those gentlemen, Challa met Norton not only talk the part, but they also sang the parts. There was a lot of vocal performances in the movie, and I would say, you know, Norton, maybe he wasn't quite as good as Pete Seeger, but he was pretty close to Pete Seeger, and he had every gesture that Pete had. Yes. And you know, our kids went to the Fieldston School in the Bronx, and Pete Seeger was often a guest at that school. So I got to see Pete Seeger in person. And if you see the movie, and then you want to know what the real peat Seeger was like. There were dozens of videos of him. Just check those out. And you know, Elemet was a pretty good Dylan. Look, it's a hard part to do. Dylan was a real character. I didn't know. I don't know Dylan in person, but I was convinced by Chalamet's performance and the Joan Baez part, which was also a central part of the movie. Joan Biez has I think a matchless voice. You know, no one that I know has the depth that Mollifluous quality that Joan Biez have. And she has a great range too, hitting really high notes and low notes everything in between. And the actress Barbara was really outstanding in the singing. She wasn't quite hitting the notes of the way Joan Baez did, but she was pretty good and pretty close. So all in all, I thought that was a great movie, and it is frankly the best bio pick I've seen because it hit so many true notes.
Speaker 1: You know, Paul, it is interesting Terry Thal, who wrote it was Dylan's first manager in New York, and you mentioned there were certain elements that are missing, and I read a great Rolling Stone article and it said, unfortunately Terry Thal's part is missing as his first manager because of time, etc. As you mentioned, they can't be entirely accurate. But she's been a guest on the show as she wrote a great book Mike Greenwich Village, Dave Bobb and Me about her marriage to Dave Van Ronk and the fact that Dylan, who couchsurfed, And that's also from what I understand, a little bit missing in the biopic that you know, he relied on the kindness of strangers, if you will, and that include CouchSurfing, and he often did on Terry Thal's and Dave Van Ronk's couch, So it would be interesting to bring her back on after hopefully she sees the movie as well, to get her impression, to see how accurate everything was too, because she was literally.
Speaker 2: There, absolutely right. I mean, the problem again is if somebody has more than one manager. It's very, very hard as it is, the movie is two and a half hours long to give both managers any role, and so this is a traditional thing. They combine wherever possible characters into the most salient character. By the way, David Brown of Rolling Stone, he didn't write that article, but he wrote a great book about the Greenwich village scene. So I recommend that to everyone. Last name is Brown, ends with an E. David is his first name.
Speaker 1: Great, well, let's return to our list. So it was number eight. Let's go to number seven. Really interesting. Kennedy returns to power. Okay, RFK Junior Robert Francis Kennedy Junior has been appointed, not approved, but has been appointed as Secretary of Health and Human Services. I believe is the whole title. Why is that significant? I guess from the standpoint of a it's a Kennedy and b he's a little on the different side. But why is this significant in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, personally, like many other people, I've always yearned for Kennedy to return to power. I was disappointed when Joe Kennedy, Bobby's oldest son, who was a congressman for a few years, basically left politics. I was disappointed when a younger Kennedy, who also from Massachusetts, was I think in the House of Representatives for at least one or two terms when he dropped out. I was really disappointed when Caroline Kennedy at one point she was thinking of running here in New York State and Kristin Jillibrand beat her out of the I guess in the primary. And I've definitely voted for Caroline Kennedy. So look, I'm someone who never got over the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and I think that family has a very special place in American history. It is unfortunate, though, that the return to power, and this is why I put it in there. As you know, in that top list is somebody who is as off the track about so many things as Robert F. Kennedy Junior. Health is and increasingly it's always important, but ever since COVID it's been much more understandably on people's minds. You know, you reach something every day that's frightening. The bird flu seems to be taking week in the South, I mean, so, you know, we have a lot of very serious life and death health problems. By the way, I'll mentioned that this year a lot of people from science fiction, George of Browsekeep, Barry Maulsburg, a guy by the name of t Tom Jackson. They all Tom Jackson King. I left off his last name. So you know, I am extremely concerned and actually not at all happy that this Kennedy has returned to power. And we're going to talk more about this in this hour because this is just one of many of frankly insane appointments that Trump is making. And you know, I saw a tweet the other that really captured it, saying something to the effect of, I know this is old hat, but I have to tell you Trump is out of his mind. And unfortunately, the appointment of Robert F. Kennedy Junior to the most powerful position in the cabinet that is responsible for the health of Americans appointing someone like Robert F. Kennedy Junior. I think it's crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move to number six on the list. And I find very interesting the way you worded it. Okay, UFOs over New Jersey. Some might choose the word drones over New Jersey, but when you think about it, they are unidentified flying objects. We don't know for sure that they're drones, but anybody who's lived in the Northeast, and not only New Jersey. I actually my partner Amanda and I went out a couple of times to look over the Hudson River and we saw something. And I guess that's why it goes under UFOs. But this is potentially a big thing because it could be so many things. So why is this such a big story in your mind? Book?
Speaker 2: Well, it reminded me of that line in John Lennon's song there are UFOs over New York and I too surprise. Anyway, I got the melody slightly wrong, But you know, you're right. This could be the biggest thing of all. This could basically exceed number one if it is really something that in some way has anything to do with intelligence that originated off this planet. And look it probably isn't. And just the fact that it's not identified is a combination of maybe there are military secrets involved, maybe some other country figured out a way of disguising its identity as the country that sent those UFOs, those drones over the northeast here. But it is a very exciting thing to think about it. And you know, again, as you know, I'm a science fiction writer. Well, I'm a sucker for these things.
Speaker 1: You can really run with this one, Paul, Someday I smell a story coming up here somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And you know there is you know, the Fermi paradox. I'm sure maybe some of your listeners have heard of that. This is Enrico Fermi. He tried to answer the question of if there are intelligent civilizations off this planet and other solar systems and other galaxies, surely some of them would be older than the human species, that is around, longer than we have been, and therefore they should be more advanced than us, and therefore they should have interstellar travel, and therefore why they're not here And FORMI put out a whole bunch of reasons to explain why this is the case, and people have had a field day with us. You know, the aliens are so smart. They don't want to disturb our civilization. They don't want to cause a trauma. But many people know I think I'm pretty close to it, are close to now thinking that, you know what, we need help from somewhere, the way this world is going, and this country in particular. So you know, I'm leaving the door open.
Speaker 1: Well, we're lucky if they don't show up and turn around and say later. For this place, it's messed up. But that's a conversation for another day, Paul. Here's interesting and somewhat related also AI artificial intelligence. We've discussed it, the good, the bad, and the ugly, and you have this as one of the top stories, particularly as many people are afraid of A and I. And I know you are cautious, but fear is a word that you wouldn't use to describe your thoughts towards A and I. Well, why is this such a big story in your mind?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I find myself lately not wanting to agree with Jeff Bezos in any way because, as you and some of our listeners may recall, Bezos presented vented the Washington Post from running an op ed, which would have endor us Kamala Harris. So I don't know if that had any effect, but I think that that was really a cowardly thing for a newspaper to do, or the owner of a newspaper in this day and age. But nonetheless, even a broken clock is right twice every day, you know, when it's stuck on one time. And I read somewhere that Jeff Bezos said something which I think is a savvy appraisal of AI. He said, It's going to become like electricity. It doesn't matter whether we like it or not. It's going to be in everything pretty much that we do. And you know, there were people back in Edison's day, Thomas Edison's day, you know, in the eighteen eighties, eighteen nineties, who concerned about electricity. They were afraid people were going to get electrocuted, you know, there were concerns about that. In every generation, anytime i'm anything new is introduced. So people are using gas lamps, electricity is introduced, which is actually far more safer than gas lamps because you can easily have a fire with, you know, with something that's burning, whether it's on gas or anything else. And electricity pretty much got beyond that, and I think that that is what AI is, and I am not surprised, but I'm not happy to see the number of people, especially in our academic world, who have piled on over and over again this past year and again. As you and I discussed on a previous show, you would think they were talking about the terminator. You know that this AI is going to come and kill us, It is going to take over the world. You know, a group of AI scientists, as you know, sign something saying they were so concerned about this anyway, So I think that we need to wake up. And I'm not saying we should blindly accept everything that is AI, but take it easy. By and large, it saves people's lives even now. Yes, it does create problems, you know, if you have someone plagarizing somebody else who are creating a fake video that looks and sounds like the person. But I think that those problems, when you weigh them against the benefits of AI, pretty much fall by the wayside.
Speaker 1: Just to develop it for a few more minutes of Paul, because I think it's an interesting thing, and I have a lot of journalist's friends who still work in newsrooms and you could they are free because many newsrooms have been turned over to AI. There was something in the Los Angeles Times, I believe you mentioned that, but also recently where they're relying more and more on artificial intelligence to pick stories, to edit stories, to check for accuracy, and there have been mistakes made because it lacks the human element that is so important in journalism, which is to determine beyond the surface what's right and what's not. So you know your feelings on that, and that's kind of the downside, And I didn't want to play over that too much because specially as you and I media people and journalists, there is a concern there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, look, we have to be more careful in that regard. But on the other hand, just giving an example that how I've used AI, and it's been very helpful to me. As you know and many of your listeners know, I review a lot of things or aview television shows and so on. So if I've just watched an episode of Outlander, and by the way, the second half of the seventh seventh season that's now on is excellent. It's one of the best Outlander seasons. And I'm writing a review and I want to know the name of an actress what I used to have. It's not the end of the world, but I have to go on to IMDb do a search, you know, and sometimes it can you know, the actress's name might not be in the top names that are there, so that I have to go to the full cast page. Again, not the end of the world. Now, with AI as a reviewer, I just say, who's the name of the actress who played such and such a part in Outlander episode seven point one two, and boom, it gives me the answer, and so far it hasn't been wrong. So look, I'm an author. I don't want AI taking away my profession, either as a scholarly writer or a science fiction writer. So I'm not unsympathetic to those concerns. But I am also aware of how valuable my time is, and AI has saved me an enormous amount of time already.
Speaker 1: You know, It's interesting because as I was writing my intro today and I noticed how AI was taking over anticipating what I was writing. And I mentioned it to Amanda and I said, you know, in ninety percent of the time, it's right, it's where I want to go, and it's all spelled out for me. I'm a terrible speller, so in that sense it does help. So very interesting. All right, let's move down. Well, let's move up to the top four, and it will relatively relate it because they're political, okay, And when we talk politics, we have to talk Biden, we have to talk Trump, obviously, the huge contest in twenty twenty four. Okay, so number four in terms of your importance here Trump almost assassinated. And then you qualify it with the question or was he explained?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I don't know. And again I hate to, you know, even imply any humor here because it is a very very serious thing. But I grew up, as you did, world in which tragically political leaders were assassinated. Not only political leaders, you know, great one of the world's most brilliant songwriters in human history is assassinated, you know, et cetera, et cetera. And one of the things that we've all come to know when these tragedies happen is almost immediately there are medical people who are being interviewed by the media and they explain, as best as they know it what happened. Sometimes they don't do a very good job of it. That's why, to this very day there are still questions about who killed JFK. But there was extensive coverage of the assassination of JFK. And there is almost always extensive coverage of attempted assassinations. So the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan got an enormous amount of coverage. You see him being willed into the hospital, you know, interview with doctors. Well, we can't tell you everything, but he's doing okay. It's a little more serious than it seems, et cetera, et cetera. So i'd be interested. Can anyone tell me? Maybe I missed it? Where was that coverage in the aftermath of the assassination attempt? And I put a question mark after that because of this. Where is the media coverage of the aftermath of that? Where are the doctors telling us exactly what happened, how serious it was? In fact? Where are the FBI people commenting? Anytime FBI people were into They don't know anything. They're not working on this case. The Secret Service had nothing to say, they were working on the case. All we know is what was like a week or two later, Trump appears at the convention. I don't know even his ear. It was like a little bandaged up. It didn't look like a bullet had ripped off a part of his ear. But what do I know. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know. That's what I'm saying. There's something strange there, and if I were an investigative reporter, I would investigate that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's also interesting. We know so much about other assassins and murderers. We know very little about that young man who was eventually killed by the Secret Service. There's been very little follow up about his motivation, etc. You really don't hear much about that.
Speaker 2: That's interesting too, Yeah, it is, And you know, there are all kinds of other little things. Trump didn't make any appearances for about two weeks prior to that appearance. If you want to be you know, I don't think not paranoid. And it's an understandable question. Maybe Trump was training for this. Look. It certainly boosted his polls. I'm not saying that I think that actually happened, but I think a mark is a legitimate thing to put after that whole event.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to the top three. Okay, and I'm going to change your order a little bit for between two and three, just for ease of conversation. And let's talk a little bit about the Joe Biden Donald Trump debate, in which Biden did dismally and that's putting it mildly. It really changed the whole face literally and that's the next one, literally changed the face of the election. But let's talk about the debate and how important was and how that really changed the conversation within around the presidential debate.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I, my wife and I were up on Cape cod but we obviously had a television. We saw the debate, and you know, our draws dropped and stayed dropped for pretty much the whole debate. It was an astonishingly atrocious performance, and you know, very very upsetting, because the last thing in the world we wanted was for Trump to have any advantage over Biden, and we were hoping that clearly there was something wrong with Biden that night. We were hoping it was a temporary thing, that it wasn't an indication of some kind of permanent impairment. Republicans had been saying ever since Biden got in office that basically he wasn't all there mentally, which I always thought was nonsense. But I also began thinking, and I know you and I have talked about this as well. And let me just preface this by saying, as a media theorist, as someone who has studied Marshall McLuhan, who has written books on McLuhan, who teaches Marshall McLuhan, one of the things that really impressed me with Marshall McLuhan was how in nineteen sixty four and understanding media, he talked about that debate between Kennedy and and you know mclwin's parlance, Kennedy won because he was much more cool, which was a more appropriate approach than Nixon, who was hot. But if you don't want that mcluhness distinction, clearly Kennedy was calm, relaxed, at ease with himself, that is cool, whereas Nixon was sweaty, overbearing a that's right. And so Kennedy just looked a lot better. And it was a very close election, and Kennedy did as well as he did, no doubt because of that debate. And up until the debate with Biden, I was also something of a student of debates. You're remembering various full pause and debates, remembering various successful thrusts. So getting back to Reagan again, when he says to Walter mondel, I'm not gonna you know, hold you, you know, responsible, or criticize you because you're not fit in age to be president because you're so much younger than me, or something like that. That's a paraphase, but it was very effective. It got a lot of laughs. And Reagan was an excellent communicator. So there are many moments in debates. But I began thinking, you know what, after all said and done, maybe the debate is not so important, because what do I want from a president? I want, ultimately, somebody from a who is president who gets a call in the middle of the night and Russia has not only invaded Ukraine but now gone into Poland a NATO ally, what are we going to do about this? I mean, this is what the president's job is. This is the president's role. This is where the president's performance matters. It's a life and death decision. You know, think about John F. Kennedy in retrospect, who cares how he did in the debate. What saved our lives back then was how Kennedy responded in a savvy way to the Cuban missile crisis and where he and Bobby Kennedy is usually given the credit for coming up with the idea. John F. Kennedy presents to Christ Jeff, how about we make this deal rather than going further and further into blowing ourselves to death, And that saved our lives. I mean New York City would have been radioactive ashes if that had gone much worse. And so that has nothing to do with the debate. And so I was thinking that everyone, you know, George Clooney, you know, take it easy. You know, I know you're uncomfortable with how he did in the debate. I also believe you know, he was at some kind of event, George Clooney, he was not that comfortable with the way Biden was. Then you know what, that doesn't matter either. All that matters is how he performed office. And I think Biden has done an excellent job as president.
Speaker 1: But Paul where media guys, and from a media standpoint, it was a disaster. You know, And often people disparage American culture as of style over substance, if you will, And this might be a classic example from from a media point of view, it was an absolute disaster. He looked weak and feeble, all the things that you mentioned that you want in a leader, he lacked on that particular night. So from from a media strictly media point of view, I don't think it can be over emphasized how poorly he did, and I in my opinion, how it started to swing the momentum in the election more and more towards Trump.
Speaker 2: It did. But I guess what I'm saying, I don't guess. I know what I'm saying is the media performance ultimately is not a measure of the president's performance in real situations. You know what are the media? They're just reflections of what a candidate says, how a candidate moves at a particular given time, And in that sense, it's not real life. It's a performance. And yet so.
Speaker 1: You believe that, and I believe that what I'm thinking, because again, we're media and we know how we can shape and shape a message. But obviously that message did not resonate with the best of America. I was gonna say, he lost. It leads us to our next The party lost, and partially because of it, they didn't read what message was sent properly. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. But that's why I'm saying, I'd like to see our culture get less addicted to pinning everything on debates because I don't think they're that important. And you know, as far as media coverage, Franklin doll In, Roosevelt's an interesting character. He was pretty much paralyzed from the waist down. Fortunately for him, there was no television in the nineteen thirties, and also fortunately for him, he had a great speaking voice, so you know, when his voice came over radio, the cutting edge medium of the time, Americans really identified with him. But if there had been television in those days, I mean, look people in wheelchairs. The governor of Texas seems to have no problem getting re elected and he's in a wheelchair. And you know, I think in that sense, Americans have grown up in effect. But I do think, and to some extent, the media is at fault for this because the can't bring themselves to say this event that we cover and we talk about all the time. You know what, maybe it's not that important. I would have liked to have seen Rachel Maddow say that, and she didn't. To his credit. Lawrence O'Donnell pretty much said that, and in my opinion, that is the correct way of understanding this.
Speaker 1: Well, the fallout from that debate and the dismal performance leads us to our next big story as we lead to. Number one is that Biden withdrew and Vice President Harris was then nominated as a Democratic presidential candidate. A huge story was that the right move should have and I guess this takes us away from the media part of the story and into the political part. Did Biden make a mistake by changing at that point? Should it have been done much earlier? I mean, we could make a whole show out of just this decision. But quickly, why is this so important?
Speaker 2: Well, everyone and their grandmother and grandfather were pressuring Biden day and night to pull out. He didn't want to. He wanted to stay in. And since you're asking me the question, I think, and this gets to the number one thing that happened, the fact that Trump won. I think Biden made a mistake by withdrawing. I think that Biden, even with that atrocious debate performance, would have done better than Kamala Harris. And I can just hear the hells of outrage coming from progressive people who are listening to this, but they should just consider this fact. Donald Trump, the same lunatic, the same person who, as you and I have discussed, is on the road to fascism, not as close as Putin is, and certainly not up where Hitler was, but nonetheless on that road. The person who is now saying, and has been saying crazy things like this, that he wants to buy Greenland, even though Denmark has told him a dozen times no. He wants to take over the Panama Canal. And I think he wants not maybe a next Canada, but somehow Canada is going to become another state. And I know some Canadians they would sooner cut off their right arm do anything like that. So this gentleman ran for president three times, He won twice, he lost once. Who was the candidate that beat Trump? It was a candidate Joe Biden, who in many ways was not as well known and powerful, even though he been vice president Hillary Clinton, a very famous first Lady Hillary Clinton, a Secretary of State, and arguably he was in a better position in many ways than Kamala Harris because he was currently president and could claim credit for doing all the things that he had done, rather than you have to ask comments, well, did you agree with what Biden did? I mean, what is she going to say that question, except that Joe Biden should answer. So I think we'll never know. As you know, I love writing and reading and talking about alternate history. So this goes into alternate history. But I think that if Joe Biden hadn't withdrawn, the results of the election might have been different.
Speaker 1: Well, comment, so you mentioned that, you know, out of the three races that he ran, Donald Trump lost, lost, lost one in one two and the fact that the two people that he beat happened to be women. Is there something to be read within that, Paul, or is that just, you know, an anomaly. I got to think it's more than that.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. And this gets to the first question, the fact that Trump won the twenty twenty four election. I think it's obvious. I don't see how it can be ignored that too many Americans do not want to see a woman in the White House. They're sexist. I don't know what their problem is. I have said more than once I honestly think that in many ways women are actually more evolved than men. It's true that, you know, you have Gold in my ear, who was like a wartime president. But by and large, you know, it's always, you know, the men who are making wars, and you know women are left to you know, absorb the consequences of those wars. But here in the United States, you know, you know, to some extent, we here on the East Coast tend to think understandably like that everyone is sort of like us. But in most of America that's not the case. And I think there is a lot of sentiment that in the United States, and I hate to put it this way, but they would sooner vote for a lunatic than vote for a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And well, of course they did ultimately, as Donald Trump won both the popular vote, not quite as much as he claims to have, but he did. He did handily win the electoral College. So he is the president of the United States in your mind. And again I said, you know, it's so clear. I understand that you understand. And I wrote something about the East Coast, West Coast elites and et cetera. How did let's cut to the chase, How did it happen where it seems so obvious to so many of us yet we were wrong. And why how.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of Americans who have grievances, you know they I was just looking at the January calendar. Martin Luther King's birthday is a holiday in January. I remember this happened. Reagan is the one who signed it into law. There was a lot of opposition to that back then, and Reagan, in his way said, you know, this is the first time we've done this for someone who hasn't been you know, a president, to make a holiday in a person's name. But okay, I'm going to do this. So credit to Reagan for overcoming the hostility. But that hostility never went away. And there are many people in America, and I'm not saying, you know that they're ipso facto racist. You know, Obama, who obviously is at least partially African American in heritage, he won twice, and you know, so some of the people maybe who voted against Hillary and who voted against Kamala stayed home and that's why Obama, you know, did so well. And they weren't that thrilled with either McCain or Mitt Romney, who were Obama's two candidates. But I think that there is a lot of deep resentment here in the United States to what unfortuantly many people wrongly think is what they are entitled to. And they're walking around with a bushel full of grievance, says on all kinds of things, and that's where Trump finds his deepest support.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Paul, I'd like to add three of my own to the list. I don't know if there were any necessary order, but let's go for them. One of the things that I have is a big story in twenty four and it seems to be every year and never seems to be dealt with, is climate change, and particularly the October Hurricane Heleen, which almost wiped out western North Carolina. Extraordinary. Again, a huge story. But why is you know, climate change and environmental issues again always seem to be so hard to well, they seem to be so much further down the list until they happen in your community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking of putting it on my own list. It is a serious problem. And I'll say this about climate change, which again is a somewhat controversial thing. I am no supporter of Elon Musk. I don't like what he's done with Twitter since he purchased it. I don't like the support that he's given to Donald Trump. I don't know how much money exactly, but certainly plenty of money.
Speaker 1: It's I think, okay, right, holte me on that, but I believe that was the.
Speaker 2: Amount, all right, et cetera, et cetera. Well, I think, yeah, when we talk about Elon Musk, we have to talk about Tesla, and I know that, you know, totally electric automobiles have their own climate problems because there's like a certain mineral it's used in making you know, the engine or whatever it is. But you know what, yeah, batteries, right, that's small potatoes compared to the damage that climate change is doing. So I think that, to some extent one of the reasons why not as much has been done about climate change as should be done. If I were president, which i'll never be, I would embrace Elon Musk and bring him, maybe offer him to become Secretary of the Interior or something where what he's done with Tesla, and for that matter, even SpaceX, you know, his space program could be very very helpful in terms of tamping down further the use of fossil fuel, which unfortunately is still you know, happening. Cars are still pumping out, you know, carbon monoxide, et cetera, et cetera. And so my recommendation, my advice would be to progress is try to find sources other than those you've already accepted, who could be allies in this desperate need. We have to get on top of the climate change problem. And Elon Musk would be a classic example.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because many people are anti Elon these days and for many reasons, but the idea of conservation, it has to be faced.
Speaker 3: They saw something on PBS, as a matter of fact, I think been the Oven Poor Hour anyway, about the rainforest, and some scientists said that they reached the twenty tipping point by twenty thirty five.
Speaker 1: That's ten years a tipping point. If the rainforest goes in the Amazon, we go. And so I don't understand why that's not in the forefront of everyone's But let's move on. Another thing that should be in the forefront of everybody's thinking, and then nothing seems to be done about it is the continuing gun violence. Although there was one, there was some movement, and I want to get your feeling. The conviction of the Michigan Killers' parents. If you remember, Jennifer and James Crumley, whose son committed a mass shooting at a school in Michigan, were convicted. So that was one step. But yet just recently there was another school shooting, and again every year we seem to set a record. Why aren't things being done about that? Why isn't that the number one story in this country?
Speaker 2: I don't know. And the only reason why I didn't include it is, as you've just said, this is not something that's unique at all to twenty twenty four. We have a long history of the incredible and again this goes in the insane category damage that that people with guns are doing to our children, to everyone, really, and it's defies explanation. I don't understand it. I don't understand how any parent. I don't understand how any aunt or uncle. I don't understand how any grandparent, how any brother or sister, which so I basically covered everyone, right, you know, how any mother and father could continue to tolerate this insane situation where you know, yeah, there are some minor controls you know, on you know, the possession of guns. But and I think actually Biden is responsible for one last summer or maybe two summers ago, they finally the Congress finally did pass some kind of like, you know, the red Flag law, that you could deny someone the right to purchase a gun if there was a red flag on that person's name because they had done something which might lead you to believe they could use the gun for violence. And it's one of the great great tragedies of the United States. And you know, I have friends who live overseas. If there's any one thing that they used to think that they wouldn't want to live in the United States of America and that we here are all out of our minds. It's the prevalence of guns in this country.
Speaker 1: And violence which leads me to my next The assassination of the United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson by Luigi Mangione. Just shocking video and such a huge story, not only because of the event itself, but the aftermath of the event, people praising MANGIONI for committing this brutal, wanton assassination, something I don't understand. But that's a big story on many levels. Again, the violence aspect, and then also kind of the approval of the violence because the healthcare industry has its own issues. Again, probably a conversation we could do a full show around, but in the limited time we have your comments on that as a big story and all the facets it has.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the single biggest news facet, and you just said it, is people who think that murderer man you own, is a hero. That's like a new twist, you know, on these things. I don't know who thought Lee Harvey Oswald was a hero or assuming that he indeed is the one who actually pulled the trigger. Uh. And and the other monstrosities and miscreants who have shot down public people. You know, I will say that although shooting somebody is certainly not the answer. Uh. That insurance in general has for a very long time been taking advantage, you know, of the American people in all kinds of ways. They're they're great at doing two things. They're great at taking in premiums, that is, payments for the insurance. And they're great at spending millions and millions of dollars on stupid moronic commercials like that jerk and what is it the AIMU or something progress? Who they are?
Speaker 4: I refuse to allow them, partners of Frank, give me the remote if they're just so, it's just a man true, But.
Speaker 2: When it comes to collecting, it doesn't matter. I'm not sure I told you the story. The first time I got a sort of an idea of how these insurance companies work. This was like an auto insurance company. I used to teach what the first job I had teaching, first full time job was at Fairley Dickens Dickinson University in Teaneck, New Jersey. I buy a new car. This is nineteen eighty two. It's a Forenza, a Lil Olds and Bille. I love the car. I'm using it for maybe the second or third time. I'm driving out on Root for New Jersey, and the car dives, so, you know, I get towed away. You know, I take a cab. I teach my classes. I get back, and the first thing I do when I get home is I call up the insurance company. And I'm speaking to some guy who has the nerve to say, all right, so tell me, miss Levinson, you're the kind of guy who likes to have a couple of drinks at lunch. I said, First of all, it's not going to be a goddamn business. Second of all, it's not miss the elevenson you know you can see. And third, well, what the hell does that have to do? The car you know died because you sold me a piece of garbage car. So I tell you what I'm gonna give you, like a minute or two to get your superior online and then I'll see you in court. You know, my father was a lawyer, so I sort of learned to do that when I when I when people and don't be upset. I'll get my superior online and the guy comes out and apologizes for the guy. But that is an indication of what insurance companies do all the time, that they're trained to say no to things and hope that people will go away so they can save money.
Speaker 1: Paul, we got to take a quick break. We covered our top stories and we invite our listeners if you want to send us uh uh your comments and your top stories. Remember you can. We have a Facebook page. We also have a website Hudson River Radio dot com, and you can also go to Being Frank's Facebook page and leave us a comment. We're gonna take a quick break. My guest is doctor Paul Levinson, the professor of Media Studies at Ford University, We've talked about the top stories of twenty twenty four. Doctor Levinson had a big year himself, and we're going to talk about his biggest stories for twenty twenty four when we come back from these brief commercial messages. This is Being Frank. We're the only way to be is Frank. I'm your host, Frank Lebaro. Will be right back with more right after these brief commercial messages. Don't go anywhere yet.
Speaker 5: This is Hudson River Radio dot.
Speaker 6: Com, Hudson River Radio dot com. This is Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 1: Hudson Riverradio dot com. Welcome back to Being Frank, the Intelligent Conversation podcast. Thanks for sticking with us. I'm your host, frankle Bono, our engineer is Neil Richter, and my very special guest is doctor Paul Levinson. You know, we bring our audience a fresh topic every week or virtually every week, and we stream from Hudson River Radio located in beautiful and historic Stony Point, New York. But you can catch Being Frank anywhere you get your favorite podcasts, and since it's archives, you can listen to any program anytime you like. You can find the link to Being Frank on the Hudson River Radio Facebook page or at our website Hudsonriverradio dot com. Just click and you're there. Of course, you can always leave us at comment. Our conversation today has been the stop Stories of twenty twenty four with Professor Paul Levinson, my colleague at Fordham University. Paul, you also had a big year in twenty twenty four. Tell us a little about the doctor Paul Levinson highlights for the soon to be past year.
Speaker 2: By the way, you can call me Paul that the doctor thing is only for some jackass.
Speaker 1: Well, you scared me when you say I'm doctor. I am Doctor Levinson.
Speaker 2: Fine, I just wanted to teach that a lesson anyway. Well, actually, and this episode is going to be up today Fridaymber twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Mailman will deliver.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, excellent, the Mailman of the bus driver. Yeah. So it just so happens that it's a great way for me to cap off this year. At eleven fifteen tonight eleven fifteen pm.
Speaker 1: You're listening to twenty seventh, so we give the date to twenty.
Speaker 2: On Friday December twenty seventh, I am going to be on a show called Destinies the Voice of Science Fiction, and that is a show that's on every week on w USB FM radio that's Stony Brooks radio station, and you can also stream it. Just search on WUSB radio and you'll get to a page where you can hear it live. So what I'm going to be doing on that show is talking about the book that I've been promoting all year long. It's real life and alternate history of the Beatles, talking about how I wrote it, why I wrote it, etc. Etc. But what really makes this show unique is for the first time, I and Howard Margolan, who is the DJ on the show, are going to read a scene from the second chapter of that novel. Now, as of now, we're doing this this afternoon, the only parts of the novel that have been publicly broadcast and have been publicly read or there was a radio play made of the first chapter. And by the way, you can hear that radio show on a place called Killer Watt Radio not spelled with an old killer k I L L E R Watt dot com radio. So there is actually a radio play of the first chapter. And I've also read the first chapter at the launch party in the Players Club in Manhattan, but nobody other than my poor wife has heard me say anything publicly talk about the second chapter, and it is a great chapter, and Howard and I are going to read a scene from that tonight. So I'm really excited about that, and it's for me. It's a great way to cap off the year, because, as I was saying, I've done a lot of things this year. The one of the highlights was what I just mentioned at the Players Club, which is a really wild thing. The actual name of the place is the Players. People call it the Players Club, but I mean I was accompanied by a death mask of John Keats, who was right there hanging outside the room. So I don't know if that was some kind of threat or whatever. It was all those ill wided up like John Keats. So so I'm really looking forward to that. And as far as what I've been doing, you know, a year, other than trying to offer my two cents on all the political things that we just talked about in the earlier part of this episode, just about everything I've been doing has been working on its real life and alternate history of the Beatles, not writing it, but getting it out there to the public. There are some exciting things now in motion for twenty twenty five, but I'm not going to say to them until they definitely happen. But I expect twenty twenty five to be even more of a year where this novel that I wrote gets out to the world.
Speaker 1: Well, don't Gorny wear you at first. We want to thank you again as always for your intelligent conversation, for being frank with us as you always are. We wish you the best going forward for twenty twenty five. And you have a song. That's why I always love you have it because I don't have to search for an excess. So I call you the renaissance man. Maybe you're a professor, a writer, a musician, and you're going to introduce a song in just a minute, but I just want to address our audience a little bit before that. It is song Summer Highland Falls Billy Joel sings and they say that these are not the best of times, but they're the only times I've ever known. Well, folks, that rings true for all of us. So make twenty twenty five the best time you'll ever know until the next year comes around again. I want to thank Brian Horowitz, the owner of Hudson River Radio, and of course Neil Richter for putting up with me for the year, and of course to all of our loyal listeners who take the time to support us. If you keep listening, I can promise you more intelligent conversation in the future. And I wish all of you peace, light and love. Okay, Paul, take us out. What are we going to hear?
Speaker 2: You're going to hear looking for sunsets in the early morning. And as a song that I you know, soone's written in different ways. In this case, I wrote the lyrics pretty much complete and I gave them to Ed Fox, who back in the late nineteen sixties early nineteen seventies, he was the music to lyrics that I gave him. And of all the co written songs that I've written, this is one that I'm most proud of. I think Ed did a perfect job on the music, and I'm very happy with the way the lyrics worked out as well.
Speaker 1: Right for Paul Levinson and Neil Richter, I'm your host, Frank Lebono. This has been being Frank, and we wish you a merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah, and a happy con It'd be safe and healthy and happy. Everybody. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 5: We want you.
Speaker 7: Next it turn it to work. It's you know. That's the shut and.
Speaker 5: Call me next time. Shoot. Get my sensets and I always loud, so more.
Speaker 2: Shot.
Speaker 8: Get my sunsets in the world's gone.
Speaker 2: I know is pad?
Speaker 5: And whos that s holding that costo?
Speaker 1: Shut up?
Speaker 7: We see to the son stuff loved.
Speaker 5: He cast the shook, get the sadset.
Speaker 8: To the ear mon all not more than minutes shook, gave us sunsets on the world is b and love. Tap u sidset HOSN sences s
Speaker 2: Hudson River Radio dot com