Speaker 1: Get ready March nineteen, twenty twenty five, allegedly, according to that thing we call a calendar. Jeez, a couple of days past the IDEs of March. The way I see it, maybe it's the way you see it too, but who knows. In this world in which we live, apparently perspective is reality. Anyway. Maybe I'll get more into that tomorrow night when we do a news show, because I'm going to do a second one this week. I was settling on the one hour, once a week news roundup because I'm sick of covering stuff daily. But no choice too much, all right, so I gotta get to it. But tonight we're gonna talk again, and this is gonna thematically fit with a few things of interest that we've been covering as of late, right the evolving media. Well. Albert Lanier is a veteran journalist who has written for very publications, magazines, lots of stuff in Hawaii, which is where he makes his home. But an interesting journalist who has kind of well ridden the wave of the evolution of media for a bit. And now he's even done a couple of podcasts instead of just being a guest, instead of just being a writer, instead of writing on medium and substack and whatnot. Yeah, he decided to go and get a podcast. And what's my joke? All the time, everybody and their mother got a podcast now and it might be on one of the platforms, and who knows who you're paying, but you got to kind of know what it is you're doing. Otherwise you're gonna get lost in the sauce or the giant ocean of digital media. So anyway, Albert Lanier wants to talk about that tonight, and I said, why not, It's Wednesday, let's do it. So mister Lanier, good to have you back once again and probably for the last time on Skype because they're getting rid of that in May. Again technology evolves as well, but here we are podcasts. So first, how are you doing tonight? And a second, why in the world do you even want to discuss podcasting?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, mister O'Kelly, since you did me the benefit of calling me, mister Lanier, how are you doing all right?
Speaker 1: Doing all right tonight? Not a little allergy issue, but I'll be okay all right.
Speaker 2: Secondly, the reason why I'm talking about podcasting is, as you mentioned before, it seems like everybody and their uncle has a podcast nowadays, and I never thought this would happen to me. In twenty twenty four, I did not one, but two podcasts. I did a podcast called Final Cut, which is about movies. I did as ten episodes of that, and then I did a podcast about football, meaning NFL football, not to be confused with Canadian football or what is known in the US as soccer football globally call outside the NFL, which was eighteen episodes Your World.
Speaker 1: It is a weekly podcast, right Your World Cup sport is what you were referring to there, Right that one football they say yeah, go ahead sorry. Or in Australia, by the way, in Australia and down in that area, footy is another thing to.
Speaker 3: Have, Australian rules football in Australia. Right.
Speaker 2: So that's why I have to make the distinction. And it's interesting because I had people listening, according to my data, listening in other countries. I think some in Australia in fact, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 3: But in any event, I'm here.
Speaker 2: To talk about podcasting because not only did I become a podcaster last year, but I'm looking to possibly do a seminar I haven't done seven hours in a long time. So what I'd like to do, if it's possible, is to do a seven hours. So I put together a seven hour called I think the.
Speaker 3: Title of it. There are a couple titles.
Speaker 2: One's called pod it is called Pod made America. That's the one title. The other title is Invasion of the Podcasters. So I have like two titles, depends on which one and that's available, you know, if people want to book me in different locales, different places to talk about that. The sevenar itself would discuss beginner podcasting, which is what I focus on. What I would focus.
Speaker 1: On, by the way, a really quick suggestion, really quick suggestion, mister Lanier, as I would go with Invasion of the podcast or that one, because Pod made America is a little too similar actually to Pod Save America, okay and Pod Damn America, which are two different ones that are pretty popular out there. And by the way, when we just enter the words like movie podcast, Albert Lanier, it's funny what up in a lot of search engines real fast, they don't give us an AI description, so you're not worthy of that yet. But anyway, other appearances, not my show, by the way on the first page. I don't think. Maybe now the first page does not have my show on it, thanks, but it does give us your ex account episode twenty of Somebody's speaker account Airplane. Apparently your discussion of Airplane the movie got a bit of traction because that's first page Google landing stuff for you. So I just wanted to know people to people what caught that little fire.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago where I analyzed the movie Airplane. I did that on a podcast called The Clothes Watch. I think it was called Crooked Table before. So I guess it's good that that you know that some of my analysis comes up in regards to movies, because I do have a film podcast. So in any event, I did two podcasts last year, and so hopefully this year, well this year, I hope to do another season of Final Cut. But right now I'm on a hiatus in regards to the podcasting because last year took up so much time, especially with Outside the NFL that took up That was like four months every week of recording podcasts.
Speaker 1: And outside Outside the NFL being the ironic entry against Inside the NFL, which for many years was an HBO property. And I think now they sold it to some other streamer service right inside the NFL. Yeah, go ahead, Sorry, I just want to do this.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure where it's on. I saw it somewhere on YouTube or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll figure that out. I'll figure that out while we're talking. But continue. I just like making notes on the media homages built into your stuff because I think that's fascinating. I'm so stupid.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so that's I'm on.
Speaker 2: So I started working on podcast last year. As I mentioned, the two podcasts, Final Cut and Outside the NFL those and those are available on Spotify. People want to go to Spotify to check them out. So what I get into in regards to podcasting and the reason I started to put together a seminar is number one. I haven't done a seminar in the number of years. The seminars that I would normally do are about writing.
Speaker 3: I have a series called.
Speaker 2: The Basics which deals with It's basically three sevenars that deal with writing. And the last time I did a seminar was on a college campus. So I did a seminar I think it was like ten years ago or so over ten years now, and it was one of my basic series seminars. I think it was the basics, the first one, which deals with what I call the three.
Speaker 3: Rules of writing.
Speaker 2: So I had done a seminar in a long time. And after, you know, after the early week of January, when the NFL regular season ended and I ended the podcast Outside the NFL, I concluded it wrapped it up. I decided I had to take a break from broadcasting because I hadn't had a hiatus. I was busy with my first podcast, Final Cut, and then my second podcast Outside the NFL, because I kind of went from one. I started the first podcast in June of twenty twenty four, and then the second podcast Outside the NFL, which was started in September of twenty twenty Right, hey, look, not podcasts most of last year.
Speaker 1: Well, instead of just marking the time periods, let me ask you a question. And by the way, I just want to interject this into the outside or inside the NFL, which is the homage or the mockery of and I kind of like it. It's an ironic title. The show originally aired on HBO from nineteen seventy seven to two thousand and eight. Following one of the Super Bowls, it moved to Showtime, airing there until it says twenty twenty one, when it moved to streaming service Paramount, and then in April of twenty twenty three, it was reported that Paramount dropped it and it was picked up by the CW network. Very weird kind of journey for that TV show, which has now been around again, you know, marking time since wow, gee, almost almost fifty years, because nineteen seventy seven now we're in twenty twenty five. I mean, that's almost a fifty year running thing, even though it's gone from a premium service and all that good stuff and various stars being the hosts and all and premium networks to now you know, old old time broadcast TV sort of with the CWS. So fascinating that that's gone on. But my big question for you is, forget about the amount of time or what year you did it. I wonder what you think of the workload compared to just writing before, because a lot of people don't realize that some writing usually comes along with podcasting. Either people script things directly or they have a lot of notes they have to gather. You wind up doing some writing, like you know, people don't think of lawyers as writers either, But most of the time that's what lawyers do a lot of is writing one way or another, And as a podcaster, you do a lot of writing. So I was just curious what your thoughts were comparing the workload. You know, is podcasting super easy, simple, who cares? It's nothing? Or is it, you know, a tough job as in your mind, or what do you think compared to being a journalist, being a writer, being a freelance guy. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, that's a that's a good question. I think it's a very apt question. In my case, the reason that I started a podcast was related to writing. As you are well aware, I have not one, but two newsletters on substack versus a writer's plat, and one of the things that substack features for the writers that are there is the ability to do a podcast and to be brutally honest. If it wasn't for having newsletters on substack, I would.
Speaker 3: Never have done a podcast.
Speaker 1: Well, also write.
Speaker 2: Out and say this, I had no interest in being a podcaster, of doing a podcast, of hosting a podcast.
Speaker 3: I never did.
Speaker 2: I had some individuals tell me many years ago, I should look into it. I should think about it, and I was never interested, right.
Speaker 1: And what's funny is, well, hang on a second, because what's funny is you came on this show to announce even the launcher of your YouTube channel, and that logically, if you're a writer and you're launching a YouTube channel, in my mind, it just logically leads to podcast number one. Number two. YouTube has, you know, shifted over the years. It's now a twenty year old platform. A lot of people don't realize that, and I mean I virtually started on it in some of the early days. I think my first post was in two thousand and seven on YouTube. I've been kicked off since several times. But the thing is that that platform in and of itself has now evolved, and even on their front page, guess what podcasts? They are getting into the podcast game, so to speak. They've definitely done independent television and standardized television, and now they even offer themselves as a pseudo cable type service where you know, they can be your television provider as well as your video provider, and they're now moving into podcast provider. And even stranger is stuff like Twitter, which used to be limited to a very small amount of characters they doubled that. But now even that is a podcast platform as well. You go over there and you can plug in and go live on Twitter, x whatever they call it now. Point is, you know, Facebook Live tried it. It seems like every platform gets into every end of the digital business and a lot of people do the same thing where it's just cross pollination. So I think your YouTube channel, in combination with the fact that you're on substack and they offer you the ability to start a podcast, this had to be all the factors that came together to just kind of say, well, I might as well do a podcast about things that interest me. Why not everybody else? Is Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting you bring in YouTube, and you note what the sort of aspects of Facebook and x in regards to podcasting and the pervasiveness of podcasting. Right in my case, it wasn't so much YouTube. I created my YouTube Channeannel because I had never had a presence on YouTube, and I felt I might as well have an official channel on YouTube. In the case of the podcast or podcasting, it really was being on substack. I of course had a newsletter in twenty twenty one. Starting into twenty twenty one called that is the week that is, and then I created a new one last year called Final Cut, which is about movies. So I returned to writing about movies as I had been a film critic as part of my journalism career. I'd been a film critic for about eight years, and I used to cover film festivals, right.
Speaker 1: And if people go back in the archives and look at the Albert Lanier discussions over the past couple of years on this show, you can note exactly when these things happened because Albert came on to discuss his Final Cut, you know, Substack came on here to discuss the launch of the YouTube channel. I'm just saying they could literally chronicle that whole story through my show if they want to go back in the art chives, because you came on talked about these things as they happen, So go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you mentioned that, because I don't think I'm not a star or a celebrity or a well known writer. I'm just a local, regional freelancer who discovered the Internet so to speak in a way and started being interviewed on podcasts and talk show the radio show. So but I like the way that you note that it's almost very archival. It's almost like there's an archive of me on the O'telli Effect.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that, Yeah, there is. That's the that's the funny thing.
Speaker 2: There's somebody looking to do a biography of me. I doubt it because I'm just I'm just a unknown quantity as a former as a journalist and as a writer.
Speaker 3: So but I do like that aspect.
Speaker 2: When I listened to I went, yeah, you're right, there's a kind of archival aspect. There's a kind of historical aspect. So hey, I would never think that anybody would want to write about me. But if someone wants to write about me, hey, check out though Shelley Effect archives and past shows and do your research the best that I can do.
Speaker 1: You could do, you could literally do a chronicle even if they wanted to just use you as an example of somebody who has evolved along with the evolving media, you know, which, by the way, very good point. That's another thing. That's another thing is that documentaries. Documentaries for a while were vogue again, right, I mean they come in and out of vogue constantly, as they have my entire life. I was born in the seventies, and from the nineteen eighties to now, I've seen documentaries become extremely important. Underground things go mainstream, go back underground, et cetera, et cetera, and documentaries and many documentaries out there. I mean, hell, there are stranger subjects than you to do a mini documentary on. Just saying I'm not trying to pitch it to anybody. I'm just saying that if somebody decided to do that to you one way or another, with or without your cooperation, okay at this point, yeah, probably, But.
Speaker 2: Still I'd rather they not have mis because I I'm already because of the things I've researched and looked into both as part of my work, and you know, after retiring and even during on the side, like research project.
Speaker 1: And I have a bizarre I'm a little paranoid.
Speaker 3: So it's okay, I hate to put it that way.
Speaker 2: But I've always been distrustful. I've always been wary, and there's been a slight paranoia RK.
Speaker 1: And you always know.
Speaker 3: That, but it's true, right.
Speaker 1: And look, and you know this for a fact. When you come on my show, the discussion is not like other shows. So I always do it a little different, and I have a really bizarre I would only ask somebody from Hawaii question that I want to close out this discussion with. But don't worry, we'll get there eventually. I'm done interrupting you. I just wanted to point out a couple of things that if people wanted to track what it is you're talking about, that they could crut up.
Speaker 2: Some interesting things I never thought about before. So when you mentioned that, I went like, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, because I'm getting on in years and I don't know, you know, I've been interviewed on shows since I was in my late like thirty nine.
Speaker 3: If I've been doing.
Speaker 2: Interviews since I'm thirty nine, you know, and probably most of my SEO, most of my stuff that's out there, besides the stuff I've written for my blog in retirement and then substack and what other articles during my career are out A lot of it's probably interviews that I've done on shows, So you know, that's a part of my legacy, and it would be of archival and historical interest. So it's I think that was a very very good point that you mentioned, and it's something I hadn't thought about, But you know I'm I'm not a celebrity.
Speaker 3: You know I'm not you know I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not a well known name. I'm not a well known quantity. I'm just a kind of facing the crowd. To use Elia the title of a Elia Kazan film. So I'm nothing like Andy Griffith's character. Is face of the crowd.
Speaker 1: Not fair enough. But at the same time, you've also been on you know, large platforms like the Alex Jones Show. You know, you've written for some larger magazines. You've you know, been on very small talk shows. I've seen that where I know for a fact the guy's got five listeners, you know, even if his show's good, I know he's only got like five listeners. I've seen you do that. So you run the gamut really throughout this transitional time. And funny thing is I think I started being interviewed about anything other than music probably around the age of thirty nine as well, which is funny. I don't know what it is. Maybe it was our our midlife crisis, so to speak. Somebody brought up that term to me recently.
Speaker 2: Show that's probably a big reason. I would argue that that's probably the reason why you're interviewed.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's why it started.
Speaker 2: By the way, I never went on Alex the show. Oh oh, called up by a producer, I thought, a producer of the Alex Joe Show.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry on the show, you were on Info Wars. Though on the website I know that you were. Yeah, you were mentioned on that.
Speaker 3: I heard of it. Yeah, Oh, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were mentioned on there, and I could have swore you had been on one of the Oh look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if Alex wants to have maybe a confrontational argument interview with me about.
Speaker 3: Something, yeah, on the show, I'd rather beyond. But I got you. Joke you look, I got you, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately years ago I had friends that were there, but nowadays I am not the guy to get you an interview over there, but I would if I could.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, I was saying that, you know, out towards them, I was saying, look that they're interested. You know, I'd give it a shot once. Maybe I didn't want you for a long time, but.
Speaker 1: I was like, I got you. The biggest show I was ever able to recommend you to was Ground Zero with Clyde Lewis. That was the biggest show I ever introduced you to. Yeah, but that was the only yeah, I suggested you to them. But but but that was the biggest one I ever got a chance to suggest you. Because you know, people come to me sometimes and ask for guests, believe it or not. Hey, you know, can you put me in contact with this guy or do you have a guy who and fill in the blank. So, which is another aspect to this, right, the the interaction with other people where you want to have guests, or you want to get hold of material, or you know, book companies send you books, or other publications send you copies or even you know, free subscriptions to their stuff because they want you to promote their thing. So everything from Garrison Magazine to uh, you know, I've gotten books from big publishers, little ones, independence and even people publishing their own books. Over time, I've been sent physical books because I've said I prefer them, and and sometimes that's great and sometimes it's not so great, because you know, it's not every book is great. But anyway, just saying, just saying, and really, when I went on YouTube first, I was just looking to critique some books because I had a collection of like five hundred JFK books, and I was making piles out of them, like I really feel like throwing these things away, but I hate wasting paper, so I'm going to resell them or give them to somebody. And I started doing that, and I said, you know, I should just kind of explain this.
Speaker 2: On you wrote piece JFK when I when I sort of, you know, admitted that I was a skeptic. Yeah, And I haven't done anything since because I'll never write a book on it because I think there are too many It's not that I don't have a property were writing books about it, It's just I think there are too many books.
Speaker 1: Well. See, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I have way too much fodder for the official people of the official.
Speaker 1: Narrative, right and given the recent news in recent days. Look, everybody, by the way, still stay tuned. As I speak, I am not ready to give you a definitive answer about what's in those files. I'm only about one hundred out of the thirteen hundred PDFs in on what I've read so far, and there's a lot of work to be done there and there are other people working on this, so stay tuned. But anyway, I have a book written.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to I didn't want to get back to answering fully answering the question you had asked about the difference between you know, doing the podcast and having written articles and having been a journalist and being a writer.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know. The only reason why I did this sideline discussion is because I wanted to present to people that there is a huge era of things one could do to publicize information or interests or whatever. And I was just trying to show your level of participation over the years, what you've interacted with, et cetera. So I just wanted to, you know, give people a brief exposition on that. So I'm done, but I just wanted to do that, and please continue and tell me the difference.
Speaker 2: I was actually happy to hear that because it just made me think about things I had never thought about before.
Speaker 1: Well, that's kind of the point of kind of the point of this show.
Speaker 2: I think, in terms of researching other people and doing research and other things, I never think anybody would want to research me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's kind that's kind of the point. That's almost the ultimate point of my show, mister Lanier, is to make people think of things they didn't think of before. Whether they agree or not, I don't care. But just keep thinking, you know, because that's the only way you're going to discover anything new. Continuously use you know, your ability to think rationally, to think objectively when you can, and to to look do your own research, do your own examination of everything, because there's no such thing as a trusted source, not even me. That's my whole point, right, Go find it yourself. That's the best way to know what's actually happening and happened before. Uh, but please tell us about this contrast between writing and podcasts.
Speaker 2: Going to finish shut your initial question. Yeah, Now, the reason that I started, like I had said before, I had no interest in podcasts, never wanted to do a podcast.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know how to set up a podcast.
Speaker 2: So and then I'll have Once I'm done with this, I'm going to start getting into not my seminar, which of course you would have to contact me about, you know, doing people would have to contact me about doing.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to get into.
Speaker 2: The basics of what podcasting is about, because what I emphasize on what I deal with is podcast for the beginner, in other words, for people starting out. I don't deal with I don't deal with whether a podcast is going to be successful or not, because that's out of my purview. I don't deal with what people you know, what the impact of a podcast is going to be, because I don't know that aspect. I deal specifically with the nut try, the nuts and bolts of doing a podcast.
Speaker 3: You're interested in doing.
Speaker 2: A podcast, creating the podcast, getting it done, and that's what I deal with.
Speaker 3: And obviously that's for the.
Speaker 2: Beginner, and I aim it for anyone, but it's primarily for the average Joe and the average deal, okay, and that's who I'm talking to here and hopefully elsewhere. I have nothing against people with money and resources if they're interested. I have nothing against celebrities if they're interested, or actors who well known actors or musicians or anything. But this is what I'm what I'm looking at and what this uh not only here on this interview, but what I intend to do with my seminar is intended for the average person, because I think it's a lot. I think it's the average person, the average individual that needs to.
Speaker 3: Find out if they're interested.
Speaker 2: Because it's very easy for people with money and resources to set up a podcast. They can go hire someone to do that. They can consult people, they can you know, go and do their own have people their people, do research with other people's people. Sounds weird to say that do that. But for the average person, they've got jobs, they got families, they got lives, and so if they do a podcast.
Speaker 3: You know, how do they do it right?
Speaker 2: That's so that's what I'm aiming for, the sort of the average individual, the regular person. However that's put, I'll just go with the average show the average show davage person. So for my case, in my case when it came to podcasts, the reason that I've done podcasts or starting was really substack. Substack being a writer's platform. I had a couple of newsletters and like I mentioned before, I had a newsletter called that Is the Week that Is, which is more news oriented, and another one I started last year which is about movies called Final Cut.
Speaker 3: And it was while I was.
Speaker 2: Beginning writing my first few pieces for Final Cut that I thought about the podcast or the podcast function of Substack, and I I realized that instead of just going on podcasts as I had with first for example, my blog which was on media dot com.
Speaker 3: I did that for four years.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I would do interviews on selective blog post or selective blog pieces and promote them. And I thought, well, instead of just simply going on podcasts, which I enjoyed doing and which is the only thing I wanted to do, maybe if I have my own podcast, I could promote my own newsletter. And that was the only reason that I decided to create the podcast, my first podcast called Final Cut, which.
Speaker 3: Is about movies.
Speaker 2: That podcast was created and has been created in shape to be a promotional vehicle for my newsletter.
Speaker 1: So an entertaining, longer form ad basically to try and promote your writing is effectively how you would put it, right, I mean that was the idea. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Basically I created Final Cut, which people can go and listen to on substack. They can go to my substack to listen to it. It's at Alaneer dot substack dot com. And I'll probably mention that again at the end of the at the end of the show, but they could go and listen to audio versions of my articles because I thought, oh, okay, I'll do audio versions to give people.
Speaker 3: Another another version, another flavor.
Speaker 2: When I say version, I mean my reading it as opposed to simply people reading it themselves.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd rather they.
Speaker 2: Actually read my work, but I thought, oh, you know, I'll give them audio versions. I also did some interviews on Final Cut with an actress who's also a director, and I think she's a writer as well, and also a screenwriter friend of mine that I know is an indie screenwriter. And so it's Final Cut is is a mixture of interviews and pieces. At least the first season is ten episodes, and so I did it as a promotional vehicle for that. So in a way, my writing work was the entry way, the portal to my doing a podcast. I had never had any interest in doing.
Speaker 3: Podcasts now.
Speaker 2: I want to get now, when it comes.
Speaker 3: To podcasts and creating podcasts and being involved in.
Speaker 2: Podcasts, people may not have the same People may not have the same facility, They may not have the same access to creating a podcast.
Speaker 3: Now what do I mean by that?
Speaker 2: In my case, I was fortunate in that I was on a writer's platform, that podcast that's part of service. In other words, you could start a podcast there and I did, And I also kind of brought it to Spotify, so that enabled it to be on another platform that people.
Speaker 3: Could listen to. So, but for most.
Speaker 2: People in regards to podcasts, they may not be on a platform like substack.
Speaker 3: They may not be.
Speaker 2: In any kind of site or any kind of platform that offers podcasting, so they will have to create it out of the blue.
Speaker 3: So those so say, you're an.
Speaker 2: Individual that's interested in a podcast, right, so you decide, look, I want to get into this podcasting, I want to do something like podcast.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do a podcast. So one of the things that.
Speaker 2: I would say to any individual in regards to podcasting, if you have an idea is having an idea.
Speaker 3: For a podcast is not enough.
Speaker 2: In other words, if you have a desire to do a podcast, if you just have an idea just I want to do a podcast, that's fine, but it's not enough to do a podcast.
Speaker 1: Well here's the thing about this, right, Because I'm somebody who's been in different different versions of this ecosystem. And by the way, you know the little cooperative online radio networks that used to be out there that barely exist, now we're there so that people could get distribution. That was the big thing. It was like, look, you can make the greatest podcast in the world, but nobody will hear it. And you know, it's become easier over the years to now sign up and get distribution, you know, like, for instance, this show will be distributed via RSS feed to various platforms. You know, it's available in the Apple Store, it's available on Spotify, It's available on you know, and on and on and on Dose your podcast Addict. All these different apps and distribution hubs pick up my show because I set it up that way. And I still, by the way, am offering that old school network thing for people that just have great ideas and don't have any technical no how, and I offer to produce their shows, you know, in cases where they have something unique to offer. You know, that isn't just typical, right, There's still a few people out there kind of like me, but not so many that look to cooperate, that look to sort of group together, which is interesting because it's almost like a media network that isn't actually a official media network, you know, these miniature ones that come together and fall apart, coalitions if you will, of different independent media. And this stuff has risen and fallen and risen and fallen. While we sat back and watched somebody like Joe Rogan, who is now being paid a apparently two hundred and fifty million dollars a year to do the Joe Rogan experience, right, And meanwhile, guys like me were saying, let's share the cost of just the couple of platforms, the couple of tools we need to get heard. You know, look, I've got some software, You've got a distribution hub. Somebody else has a radio stream. Another person has a great, you know, video channel. Let's combine our efforts and we create our own hubs if you will. You know, Substack offers you a methodology, and Spotify offers you one platform. But I mean you can if you want, and at a fairly low cost if you figure it out. Be like pretty much everywhere where podcasts are, Like I always got to say that, Yeah, I'm pretty much everywhere where podcasts are except YouTube. Uh it's the only one that's missing, right, And you, oh, the Google Store is another thing that's changed over the years. But there's Google podcasts now. And here's the funny thing. If you go and look at streaming services like Paramount, like Netflix, all those things, a lot of them now have a podcast distribution of even IMDb, which I know, you know what that is, the Internet Movie Database famously containing you know, all the movies of all things. Right, even they now have listings for podcasts, and I think my podcast is up there. I'm not sure, but a lot of my friends and a lot of the podcasts that I've been on, I know I've been listed on IMDb, on somebody else's podcast as an episode.
Speaker 2: I was listed on a podcast myself at least one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so you've seen that there is a strange cross pollination here that if you just take a little time and figure out how to do it, there's the whole distribution aspect. Now, some people would take that as something that, you know, that's a big investment of time or whatever, but it's really not that hard to do if you take a little bit of time and you really care about getting it out so that it's available. Now, that doesn't mean it's going to be successful, because, believe me, if I had the formula for how to succeed, you know, on a massive scale, I'd be using it myself. But you know, my massive scale at its height hasn't been you know, anything compared to the Joe Rogan's or you know the other big names. I bring up Rogan because he's the biggest, but you know, even though he's not number one in Apple and Spotify right now, a lot of times he is. And again he's the highest paid guy I know him. So just saying there is a whole universe of this stuff now, and I'll tell you this much, mister Linier. And this is no offense to you, you, me, or anybody. None of us is fully aware and can even keep up with the constant changes. I mean, I actually do Do you subscribe to any of the like publications for the industry of podcasting, because there are various email and other types of publications that are constantly giving you updates about how things are changing, new technologies available, new stuff for even like Okay, you want to turn something into an audio version of your podcast, find but you want to turn your podcast into a transcript, No problem, here's the best technology, here's the best way to go. And they interview people who create stuff and start new companies, and they also show you all those people that, yeah, you can hire to launch your podcast and make sure that it has some level of instant success. And obviously again that's a question of resources. But you know, I've told people, look, if you really have investment dollars and you want to put down on it, if you put a couple thousand dollars into your podcast, it can pay off. But then you actually have to have some material that's worthy of having people tune in more than once or twice. Okay, And that is to me the toughest thing, But apparently a lot of people figure that no matter what their opinion, performance level is or whatever. You know, it's obviously something the whole world needs to hear. It's kind of like the phenomena of social media, and you know, on Twitter, on x on Facebook, whatever, everybody who's posting on there thinks, you know, when they give these long diatribes about stuff, that it is the most important thing in the world because it is to them. And you know what, I say, run it all up the flagpole and see who salutes it. But at the same time, be realistic, you know, So what are your thoughts about that, because I mean, I'm just giving you that from my perspective as somebody who's been doing it for about twelve thirteen years. What do you think.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure things are in flux.
Speaker 2: Like I said, in my case, the only reason I'm talking about podcasting is because I did two podcasts in the same year, right, So I'm in a situation which is probably unusual.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If people who go into podcasting their podcasts do more than one podcast in their initial year, they probably I would assume they focus on one.
Speaker 3: So that's why I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: It, and that's why i'm kind of, you know, if it all works out, maybe I'll be a kind of podcast consultant.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: I would basically consider myself a beginner podcast consultant right now. Even though i've only you know, I've only you know, did it during the year, I learned a lot within that year. So so in talking about what I've learned.
Speaker 3: Or what I've done, what.
Speaker 2: I emphasize is and again here, it's about the creating, the shaping and the producing of the podcast, right, And.
Speaker 3: That's what I deal with.
Speaker 2: So anything else I don't really get into and don't want to get into. Again, this is for the beginner, so for the person interested in starting a podcast.
Speaker 3: So if you're someone who's interested in starting.
Speaker 2: A podcast right off the bat, one of the things I will say, not just in light of my experience and more recent experience, but what I have found in terms of the reality of podcast is it's not enough to have an idea, and it's not enough to have a subject that and desire to do a podcast.
Speaker 3: In other words, if you say.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to do a podcast, or I'm an idea to do a podcast, what you need is more than just desire and an idea to do a podcast, because a podcast will take work. I can cite my own experience and my own background and doing Outside the NFL, which was a podcast that lasted from September to I think the first week of January September twenty twenty fourth to the first week of January twenty twenty five, where I covered the NFL season and was a weekly podcast that entailed a commitment, a weekly commitment over a period of like I said, four months.
Speaker 3: So when you are doing.
Speaker 2: A podcast, when you're doing a podcast, you have to keep in mind that this is work. Especially if you're someone who's looking to make money off a podcast. You have to understand, as you would mentioned yourself, that it's a business. You see all these other entities, whether they are streamers, whether they are social media outlets and networks, whether they are even video sharing platforms, getting into podcasting or having gotten into podcasting in some form. Why, Because it's a business, and yes, there's money to be made. Also a matter of communication.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, let me let me ask you a specific to if.
Speaker 2: You're going to do a podcast, right, the first thing you have to have is not simply an idea and a desire.
Speaker 3: You have to have a show. And so what what I mean by show?
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me let me interrupt you. Let me interrupt you with something that has been hammered into my head by people that have approached me about this subject over the past few years. Okay, and that is that they say, and this is a philosophy. I'm not saying it's wrong or right. I'm just saying that there are people that swear by it and people that actually get paid to help you design a social media presence before episode one is ever released, they tell you you have to have a social media presence with the right platforms. You know, if you're like a serious pro Trump guy, obviously you need to be on Truth Social If you're a serious liberal, you need to be on Blue Sky. You know in the past couple of years, no matter who you are, you better be on Twitter x And if you want to get the older population listening to your podcasts, do Facebook. Okay, And this has been the thing hammered at me now for the past couple of years. Now It's irrelevant to me because when I started, there was no formula, there was no nothing. You know, we were using Facebook, but it was strange. We had to do like events for our podcast on Facebook, which is a whole thing that doesn't I don't even think exist anymore for podcasters on Facebook. But the platforms have changed over the years. But my point is that there are people that say, you got to begin with a social media presence first, and that's how you're going to draw your listeners in, and that's how you're going to begin on the right foot right before you release episode one. So what I'm wondering is, do you have a way of addressing the work for setting down the primer you know, the coat that you gotta lay down when you're painting something before you actually put the top code on. What about the primer work? Do you have stuff like that that addresses that. In this seminar that you're thinking about giving.
Speaker 2: Well, I won't get into the d Like I said, I don't get into the specifics of the seminar, but I will deal with the basic overall contours and aspects of doing a podcast here. So when we start out in regards to doing a podcast, the first thing.
Speaker 3: That individuals need to do is have a show.
Speaker 2: And so when I say you need to have a show, what you need to have is by that is, you need to have a program that will deal with whatever you're looking to talk about. And when I say program, that's a fully fleshed out.
Speaker 3: Program, what do I mean by that?
Speaker 2: So what that means is normally with a podcast, you have an intro, you have segments, and you an outro.
Speaker 3: So what you need to do when you are thinking.
Speaker 2: About doing a podcast is you have to have a show that is fleshed out. You have to have more than a concept. So let me go with my podcast because I think it's easier to just out of its simpler. My football podcast is called Outside the NFL. So the initial idea was to do a football podcast, but.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 2: There are tons of football podcasts out there. Then I realized that I had actually done something on Facebook years ago called Outside the NFL, where I did week in, week out looking at the games and doing analysis. So okay, the idea to do a football podcast, you know in general, Okay, outside the NFL.
Speaker 3: I've already done this.
Speaker 2: It's a weekly, every week examination of the games.
Speaker 3: But that's still not enough. So what is the hook?
Speaker 2: And I would say as part of your show what you need as a hook. So the hook for Outside the NFL was, I'm not a sports geep or nerd or dweve or fanatic or anything. I'm a guy who simply watches football. I've watched that for football for years. Oh okay, I'm your regular football viewer NFL viewer who has thoughts and can analyze games sufficiently to talk about it.
Speaker 3: So that's the hook.
Speaker 2: So once you combine all of those aspects, then you could start. Okay, So hook is very important. What is the hook of your show? So if you're, for example, going to talk about let's just say music, because you're from music, you know you're a music background, right, you can't just say I'm going to have a music podcast because that's too vague.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by a music podcast? What kind of music.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's be specific and say that it's going to be about rock and roll.
Speaker 1: Well, and is it going to be historical? Is it going to be current releases, is it going to be interviews? You got to put in a lot of elements here yet.
Speaker 2: With the podcast be so again, this comes into creating the show. Remember, before you do a podcast, you have to have a fleshed out program.
Speaker 3: This is what I tell people who are going to do podcasts.
Speaker 2: You have to have a fleshed out program what I call it. That's I'll just do the shorthand for it is a show. You have to have a show. It's not enough to have an idea. It's not out their concept. Remember that with podcasts, they're normally intro segments outro, right, you know that structure.
Speaker 3: So that's what you need to understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let's use the hypothetical example music. Okay, rock and roll music, specifically, what kind of rock and roll music. Let's just say music from the eighties? Okay, Okay, So.
Speaker 3: We're gonna deal with music.
Speaker 2: From the eighties, and we're gonna have a podcast called.
Speaker 3: Let's make it like the Michael J.
Speaker 2: Fox film Back to the Future. Instead of back to the future, back to the eighties. All right, this is iopathetic podcast, okay, And in our back to the eighties podcast, we'll have the intro which introduces it, announcer, what have you, and then we'll have segments saying, segment number one is you know? Segment number one would be more bands, Segment number two maybe we'll deal with individual acts. Wouldn't you individual act per episode? Where you could decide to do an episode on Van Halen, right, that would be the entire episode right now.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you one quick Let me ask you one quick question if you would suggest that as you're developing this, uh, I think, and I would advise this is my advice, but I don't know if you agree. My advice is go check the names of what it is you're doing and the structure of what it is you're doing, and see if it already exists, because a lot of times I've had people suggest stuff to me by name and I go, well, that's already a podcast name, or that is becoming something already, or that sounds exactly like this show over here. I'll give you for instance, I started doing a show in twenty fifteen or twenty fourteen even with Maria Heller called Hell and high Water. Okay, now that comes from an old phrase. But shortly thereafter, not only did a movie come out, all right, but then somebody else did a podcast with the same name. And I would say that there is advantages to somehow duplicating somebody else's theme, and there's disadvantages. And I think you've got to consider that as you're developing something, because it's best to create something that doesn't already exist, but if it has some aspects of something that does, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: And that gets into the first phase when you're doing the podcast, in the creation phase of it. That's what I call R and D, research and development, okay, because what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing. You're creating the.
Speaker 2: Podcast, you're doing research even and this is another aspect when I talk about a podcast. It's always good if you're doing a podcast, if you do it based on if you can.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's up to the individual.
Speaker 2: If you are an expert or a professional in a specific area. So if you're a doctor or a lawyer, architect, butcher, a baker, candlestick maker, if you have a background in that.
Speaker 3: And you decide you're going to do a podcast.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to go because you bring a body of knowledge that you can share with an audience. And that's very important in terms of podcasts because credibility is an in crucial part of doing a podcast.
Speaker 3: You want to be credible.
Speaker 2: That way, no matter what criticism you might get. If you get criticism or what people might lob at, you will be an audience and there will be people that go to your podcast and listen to it or watch it on YouTube because you are a credible source, or you are a really incredible person for instance, or if somebody was professional or expert, or somebody who works in a specific area.
Speaker 3: So that's always good.
Speaker 1: Too, for instance for instance.
Speaker 2: But research and development is very important, right as you mentioned.
Speaker 1: A quick for instance here, just research, Yeah, just a really quick for instance here, Which is a good example of what you're talking about, is there are a lot of former law enforcement guys, a lot of them retired, who do true crime podcasts and they go, look, I was an investigator. I used to investigate this kind of stuff, so I know what the process is. And that's part of their hook is that look at this guy is not just somebody you know on the outside reading articles common citizen. Now, there's something to be said for the citizen, the uninitiated going into new things. It's an ex floration. But there's also something to be said for expertise, right. And there's a whole group of people out there that exchange podcast guests, by the way, where they put up you know, hundreds and hundreds of people that are available out there because they wrote a book, because they were a cop, because they were in the FBI, because they were a chef, because you know, et cetera, because they had a professional life that reflects what it is they're speaking about and presenting. So that's part of this as well.
Speaker 3: Right, right, So, okay, we've had the creation things. So you have an idea you want to do a podcast.
Speaker 2: One of the things you want to do is you want to see what podcasts are out there. Depending on what your idea is, you had to flesh out your idea. We had the hypothetical right back.
Speaker 3: To the eighties.
Speaker 2: It's about eighties rock and roll, right, So you're somebody who's a musician or you're into the music business. I myself used to do radio years ago, and we have our hypothetical podcast, right back to the Eighties. It's about eighties rock music, eighties pop music, but primary eighties rock music. And we'll say that we'll do an individual or a.
Speaker 3: Band per episode.
Speaker 2: Let's just say and So when you are putting the show together, you want to be able to work out all the facets.
Speaker 3: Of the podcast.
Speaker 2: And that's why I said it should be fully fleshed out, meaning you know precisely where you're going to go with this. In other words, is this going to be a thirty minute show or is it going to be an hour show? You have the idea, you have what you're going to do in terms of the concept and the hook.
Speaker 3: That's important. You have all that worked out.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have the fully fleshed out show Back to the Eighties, which is about eighties rock music.
Speaker 3: So the next step.
Speaker 2: Is the right So that's shaping the podcast. So one of the things that you're going to have to determine are the technical aspects. How are you going to do the podcast? Do you have a studio at home?
Speaker 3: Are you somebody who.
Speaker 2: Has a lot of electronic equipment? You have obviously computers.
Speaker 3: Do are you somebody who has mics? Right, you may be somebody.
Speaker 2: Who is on YouTube for example, or you may be on some other platforms, so you may use mics for that. So one of the things that you're going to have to make a decision on is what are going to be the technical aspects in regards to the podcast. Right, are you going to have a studio, are you going to invest money in it into it?
Speaker 3: How extensive is this podcast going to be?
Speaker 2: In my case, the podcasts were very simple. Did it in my apartment, didn't cost me any money. In fact, I did it on my phone, so it was very low cost, very simple. So the way I did it was essentially that.
Speaker 3: I did it on my phone.
Speaker 2: I would basically do it on file. Do it on an audio file, upload the file. Now I had the advantage of being on substack where I could just go upload it here, go put up the the the thumbnail there, and write the title here and then upload it. Go and go and put it out elsewhere. So for other people they may have to go and do it on a site, or they may have to go and do it set it up somewhere else.
Speaker 3: But you have to think about all.
Speaker 2: The technical aspects of doing the show itself. So are you going to do a very simple setup depending on the platform that you use or or the tools that you have technically, or are you going to invest money into it. Like I said, this is this is a very serious This is a serious decision to make. Like I said, podcast or work, they're not frivolous enterprise, Especially if you want to make money off a podcast. That's a whole other area. If you want to make money off a podcast, then you're going to have to try to make it as professional as possible.
Speaker 3: So that may mean you.
Speaker 2: May have to set up a kind of ad hoc studio at home. Make sure you have adequate sound in regards to MIC's make sure you have a good computer system for dealing with stuff and dealing with the podcast itself and helping you record it. Another aspect technically you want to make sure is you want to make sure you have good sound right, So that will get into what you're setup is like, right, I get. In my case, I had a very simple setup of dinner or the phone, like I said, audio file uploads, so forth. So I wanted to make sure that there was at least a clean soundtrack so if anything came along, there's a car outside, ambulance noises elsewhere I'd have to cut off the recording.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make it as clean as possible.
Speaker 2: So you have to look at what kind of If you're doing a commercial podcast, you want to make sure that you're going to have to invest money in a set. That may mean by mics or using mics that you already have, that may mean whatever other setup.
Speaker 3: That you might have.
Speaker 2: If you do it on YouTube, you want to make sure you have ring lights or other adequate lighting because people you want people to see you, right, If it's just going to be audio only, you want to make sure your.
Speaker 3: Audio setup is really good.
Speaker 2: Right, So you're putting this up, you also want to make sure that you decide where you want a podcast to be.
Speaker 3: Do you want to start off on.
Speaker 2: One platform or do you want to put it up on multiple platforms, So you have to make a decision as to what platforms that you want it on. In my case, I started very simply with both Vital Cut and.
Speaker 3: Outside the NFL.
Speaker 2: I had them on Substack, and then I put them, i think a little later on on Spotify, so there was a page on spotfy I think there still was a page on Spotify for both those podcasts.
Speaker 1: And you know, nowadays a couple of just really really quickly, because I don't want you to give away the whole seminar, and we've been talking for about an hour now, but the thing is really quickly. You know, nowadays, you could go to your YouTube channel and there's a function in your YouTube studio to turn around and take the RSS feeds from you know, from your substack and your Spotify and feed them into YouTube and boom, it automatically generates a podcast list on YouTube for you. And again, since they're pushing so hard, that's a consideration you got to keep up on as you're developing.
Speaker 3: Got a good point, and by.
Speaker 1: The way, week to week, some things change, you know, a whole different things disappear. Like I talked to you about before we went to air, the standard for many years, not in recent years, but for many years, everybody used Skype as their main way of communicating. That's gonna be gone come May first, right, So it's just gonna be gone, that's it. And technologies have come and gone, platforms have come and gone. The conditions under which you could be on those platforms or not be on those platforms has come and gone. So I would say, you know, if you're going to get into any of this, prepare for things that are going to be constantly changing. So Albert Lnier, I want you to kind of tie a bow on this. Believe it or not. We could go another hour probably with you laying this out, but then you'd be giving away the whole seminar on my show. So let's not do that, right.
Speaker 2: Uh, Like I said, I'm not touching on every aspect of the seminar.
Speaker 3: I'm just giving a broad overall. All right. So we have our we have our.
Speaker 2: Podcast, right, we have back to the eighties eighties run music. We have that set up. We got the hook right, It's going to be individual.
Speaker 3: Bands and individual.
Speaker 2: Acts, you know, performers at the same time.
Speaker 3: So we had make the decisions. So, okay, we're going to do.
Speaker 2: We decided, okay, we'll do it on YouTube as well as on audio. So decided, well, I'd like to, you know, put the podcast on Spotify.
Speaker 3: Apple anchor.
Speaker 2: On those three apps, right, and I'm going to use I'm going to also be on YouTube, and so I want to make sure I get I think sure mics.
Speaker 3: I think that's one brand of it.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to make sure I have a budget to handle a mic and ring light, adequate lighting, and I'm going to do it in a part of my own Get made that decision.
Speaker 3: So now it's time.
Speaker 2: To produce the show. And then we're doing the show, all right, So you want to make sure when you're doing the show that you have that you are prepared to do. If you're going to be the host, you want to at least be prepared to be as professional as possible in terms of being a host. There are a lot of regular people, a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Who are not in radio.
Speaker 2: They haven't had the benefit of radio or television experience or any of that. But one of the things that I would say is when you're doing your research and development very early on, take a look at how people host show, especially the show that you want to do. And what you want to do is you want to do what's comfortable for.
Speaker 3: You as a host. Right, If you're a conversational person, you like.
Speaker 2: To chat a lot, that's the way that you run the show. Okay, you're a chatty You're a chatty You're a.
Speaker 3: Chatty guy, right, you like to talk.
Speaker 2: You may be a guy who is very you may not be a person who likes to talk through segments a lot. You may be as somebody who you're you just want to be able to set up, especially if you interview people. That's one of the things you have to decide that you want to do in the R and D phase early on. Are you going to have interviews on your show or not? If you interview people, you want you may be a person who simply will ask a few questions but not talk too much during an interview. You have to decide what kind of host you're going to be during During the actual recording of the show, and as I mentioned before, in the shaping phase of it, make sure you have very good sound.
Speaker 3: Make sure the conditions are good.
Speaker 2: You want to make sure that you're putting out a show that people can listen to, even if it's a show on YouTube that is being seen as well. You want to make sure that the show can be heard, that the sound is excellent, or the sound at the very least is good enough, that it's clean, that it's what I call clean for gene. That was a phrase during the sixties Lady Jeen McCarthy, but I use it in regards to podcasting to say, is your show clean for Jene, the regular guy or the regular person listening at home. You want to have really good You want to have good sound no matter what you do.
Speaker 3: If you're going to be.
Speaker 2: Doing it on YouTube, it doesn't matter whether you're going to be seen.
Speaker 3: The sound is very important.
Speaker 2: Again, decide what kind of host you're going to be, what's comfortable for you, what's your personality, especially if you're going to interview.
Speaker 3: People, and that might evolves.
Speaker 1: Are very good listen? I'll tell you that might evolve as you get more comfortable or uncomfortable with things. As you go too, that might change. You might feel as though I can talk for an hour, until you try and talk for an hour. You may find that you can't get everything in in twenty minutes. You have a twenty minute run time you want to achieve here, you know, because some people go for much shorter run times. Well not everybody, you know what I mean. You might find that you can't fit everything you want to get out in that twenty minutes. You're going to have to do this and feel your way through it. If you are not experienced with doing presentation, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: Here's what I suggest I suggest that before you launch your podcast, do a do a test podcast or two.
Speaker 3: Then listen to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hear it, Listen to the sound, Listen to the way you come across, Listen to who you are as host. Study that, Examine it, dissect it, analyze it so that when you come on the air, you will be ready. This is very important for ego who do not have any broadcast experience. I had the experience of doing radio in college for at least a year, and I also did commercial radio playing music for a year, so I had an understanding of certain things. I'm not a radio engineer or a sound engineer or any anything like that, but at least I had some kind of experience or background that allowed me to understand certain things that was important for doing.
Speaker 3: A podcast right.
Speaker 2: And what I also learned how to do when I did outside the NFL, I learned how to put a show together.
Speaker 3: In the R and D things, you have.
Speaker 2: To decide what kind of show that you're going to do. Are you to do a weekly show, are you to do a monthly show, or are you going to show every six months or so? How many episodes are you going to do in a year. These are decisions. Of course, you do in that phase. So by the time you produce the show, you're ready to go. So we're dealing in the last phase production, right, So you have an understanding of what kind of hosts you're going to be, you do a test. You do test podcasts that allow you to listen to the podcast. You get an ear for what the podcast is like, what it may be like, and what you wanted to be and more important, what you wanted to.
Speaker 3: Be like me.
Speaker 2: Then you make sure you have at it, you have good sound. And also if you're interviewing people, you want to make sure that you're organized.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So if you say that you're going to do a show on a certain date and you work with the people, you know, maybe actors, they may be celebrities, they may be politicians, they may be just average people. So that's something else that you're going to have to deal with. You're going to have to deal with arrangements. So one of the things that you want to make sure is that you're personally organized as a host. Right. If you're doing a show, especially by yourself, you want to make sure that you have everything ready.
Speaker 3: That's why I say R and D.
Speaker 2: It's lushing out the show and having everything in the second thase, the shaping, all your audio set up, all of that stuff ready to go. Remember I think they said this in The Boy Scouts Preparation, right.
Speaker 3: You want to be prepared.
Speaker 2: You need to be prepared if you do a podcast. And so if you look at all of these phases, the creation phase, the shaping phase, the producing phase, what do they all have in common?
Speaker 3: They all have.
Speaker 2: In common that you are ready, that you are prepared, that you are organized. You don't want to be disorganized unprepared, and you don't want to be you don't want to be you don't want to be someone who isn't ready to go.
Speaker 3: So that's just a basic.
Speaker 2: Pre se in regards to podcast right from the beginning from shaping, creating the podcast, to.
Speaker 3: Producing the podcast.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What you need to keep in mind is at all levels of the process that you know what you want and more importantly, how to achieve it.
Speaker 3: And one of the things I would say is.
Speaker 2: If your podcast isn't working out the way you want it, say you've been doing let's just say anywhere from five episodes, right or six episodes, and it's not quite working out the way you'd like it. What I would say to you is, don't continue doing a podcast for If you're doing it for six episodes, don't do it.
Speaker 3: For another twelve.
Speaker 2: I'd say finish up after finish up with ten episodes. That way, you've atleast got something you can put out there, people are interested in it, they're interested, and then move on.
Speaker 3: To something else.
Speaker 2: If a podcast isn't working out for whatever reason, finish out enough episodes that would be sufficient.
Speaker 3: And then move on.
Speaker 2: You don't want to get stuck doing a podcast that doesn't work for you, and more importantly, doesn't work.
Speaker 3: For an audience. If it's not if it's.
Speaker 2: Something not right, if it's something that is isn't that isn't feeling feeling like it's it feeling like it's successful, or feeling like it's it's really working, then finish out enough.
Speaker 3: Episodes, especially if you have interviews set.
Speaker 2: Up right, if you've already booked interviews, make sure that you have that, you do those interviews, finish out the rest of the episodes, and.
Speaker 3: Move on so that gives you a kind of circular view of podcasts.
Speaker 2: There right in my podcast, in my seminar, I would get a lot more specific obviously, but that's that's really kind of a general if you want to call it cycle right from creation to production, from to production, and so.
Speaker 1: As I as I said, as I said, I.
Speaker 2: Want to support it is that you are ready, that you are prepared, and you've done.
Speaker 1: Your homework right, absolutely true. And to keep up with this, you're gonna announce this on your substack, right and uh and and let people know from there. I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I could. Yeah, it's possible.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd suggest it. And look, if I go and I type in al Lanear dot substack dot com, I come right to what they call your personal substack, which has a bunch of stuff on it and h includes uh the movie podcasts. I see, let's see, it looks like movie articles and podcasts maybe on that feed al Laneer dot substack dot com. Is that right?
Speaker 3: That's correct?
Speaker 2: That is my That's where my newsletter Final Cut is and also where my podcast Final Cut is and Final Cut the podcast can also be found on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Oh, Spotify, you know what, I'm gonna have to get the Spotify link and I'll put that in the show notes along with people can reach out to you on Twitter X that platform if they'd like that's correct, I know that you'll.
Speaker 3: They can email me.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm now kind of podcast consultant of sorts really new edits, so they can email me at impurious reader at Sorry impurious reader at gmail dot com. That's impurious Leader at gmail dot com. One more thing before I kind of wrap everything up in regards to promotion, right, you were mentioning earlier about there are some people who like to get out.
Speaker 3: Social media.
Speaker 2: They like to get out stuff before the podcast is has been released. Now, I would not do pre promotion of a podcast unless you've already take podcasts. So if you've already gone ahead and take I would say five podcasts, and you haven't put them out yet, then it makes sense to go ahead and start promoting. But if you haven't, if you haven't recorded any podcast, if you haven't taked any podcast, I usually go and record as the title. If you haven't recorded any podcasts yet, then I would not.
Speaker 3: Recommend promoting it.
Speaker 2: You have to understand pre promote when you want you have to understand in regards to promotion, you want to make sure that when you're promoting, you got to promote something you don't want to be somebody who is all sizzle and no steak. That sounds inviting, right, But you don't want to be sizzle and no steak. You want to be sizzle and steak, right, So you want to make sure that you've got a nice t bow waiting to go and there's plenty of sizzle out there.
Speaker 3: That's the whole point.
Speaker 2: So one of the things I recommend in terms of promotion and marketing is tape several podcast episodes and then you can start promoting before you release. But make sure that you promote that you that you create some episodes. Don't go and try to do that. That's what I call the goal On and Globis school of promotion.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What I'm referring to is the guys who ran Cannon Films, which is a small production company film production company in the eighties. They would go to can Film Festival and they would talk about movies they intended to do with maybe only a poster or maybe only a photo or a few photos and nothing else. They would try to get funding for that. Don't do that, right, it sounds it sounds clever, it sounds good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to do that.
Speaker 2: The only way I recommend to anybody to go and promote their podcast, the new podcast. Make sure you take some podcasts. It could be three podcast But you want something that you can promote. You want something that you can gin up interest in you. If you try to promote something that you don't have, I don't think it's a good idea. I think it makes you look disreputable and dishonest.
Speaker 1: Look, I totally understand that logic. But you know, there are whole seminars out there, by the way, I don't know if you know this, but there are like group seminars. There's even conventions for podcasters at this point, where all sorts of you know, different ideas are out there. I'm just saying that would contradict you. But I would think you don't put out an ad until you got the thing to offer in the ad. But you know, but then again.
Speaker 2: I don't know I would say this that you mentioned that. Yeah, if these conventions want to invite me to speak there, I will talk about my stance and my position on this because my position in my stance is I do not believe in promoting something you don't have. I got you dishonest, and I think it's wrong.
Speaker 3: Well believe that.
Speaker 2: I got you, you know, And it doesn't make sense to me, Eddie, in my in my position having marketed and promoted my podcasts, I did them after I promoted and marketed each episode. So there's no way that I would promote and market something I didn't have in the can. It didn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, I I totally understand, but it's just one of those things where I'm telling you can't understand that.
Speaker 2: Maybe people that are are telling you, hey, put out the word.
Speaker 3: Ahead of time.
Speaker 2: No, I have to say, I don't agree with that. What one hundred I don't agree with that at all. I think again, I think that's I think that's ambulance chasing tactics.
Speaker 3: I got you. You got to have something in the can.
Speaker 2: That's that's my take. And again again I'm new to the podcast game. I'm new here in terms of I guess I'm you know, as a sort of new podcast consultant of sorts.
Speaker 3: I'm new to it.
Speaker 2: But in my experience, I think he has to have a few episodes of the can, maybe three. You don't have to have a lot. You have to have stuff that you can then promote. That way, you've got something.
Speaker 1: I got what I'm saying, I totally understand. Anyways, I'll say.
Speaker 2: That any podcast convention or our conclave or event, I will talk about this if they want to invite me.
Speaker 3: Or they want to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, what you might want to do is send me an email and I'll forward you some of these publications because I don't think I don't know if they're going to find you, but you can definitely find them and interact with them, because there's a bunch of these like industry publications that advertise these different things. And I'll leave it to you what you interact with. But I'm telling you that there is a wide wide world.
Speaker 3: That'll be fine.
Speaker 2: But if that's what they're telling people, I asked to strenuously, Well.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to the conventions. I haven't been to the in person conventions, but they got online stuff. They got you know, all kinds. I'm just saying, you might want to sample the you know one one album, just say it.
Speaker 4: Oh, do you like history? Real history that you were never taught in schools? Why the Vietnam War Nuclear bombs in nation Building in Southeast Asia by author Mike Swanson with new documentation never seen before that'll open your eyes to events that led up to this Why the Vietnam War, Nuclear Bombs in Nation Building in Southeast Asia nineteen forty five through nineteen sixty one. Get your copy today at Amazon dot com. Why the Vietnam War by author Mike.
Speaker 3: Swanson Kelly dot Com Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Revelation through Conversation The.
Speaker 5: War State by Michael Swanson explains the great national transformation that took place and put the Kennedy presidency in the context of the times and reveals never before published information about the Cuban missile crisis. President Kennedy would not have been assassinated if you had been president two hundred years ago. His assassination took place in the context of the Cold War and the rise of the national security state. Before World War II, the United States was a continental republic. In the decade that followed, it became an imperial superpower. Generals such as Curtis LeMay not only wanted to invade Cuba, but knew that there were short range missiles on the island arn't with nuclear warheads that they could not destroy because they were on mobile launchers. Their invasion could have led to a third World War and they wanted to go to war anyway. The War State by Michael Swanson reveals why, and we'll show you what President Kennedy was up against. For more information the Warstate dot Com.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, call it.
Speaker 2: About the DAFA assassination.
Speaker 1: Right, well, what do you want to know? Judie Baker's wild claim Oswald girlfriends he knew Ruby and Barry answer weapons? Really, I imagine I could claim I have four wheels. It doesn't make me a wagon.
Speaker 2: But okay, Oswald was on the building and trying to prevent the murder of John Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Come on now has a real effort on the day of a fafformation book into claims.
Speaker 1: Go to Amazon dot com enter Judith Baker in her own words. You'll get the results for a digital copy of a book where Walt Brown utilizes her own words and the known evidence in the case to get at well a different perspective. Let's say you can get Judith Ary Baker in her own words from the author himself, signed if you request it by contacting doctor Brown at k I A S JFK at aol dot com. It's a fun book and it actually dissects the many, many fantastic claims. Judith very Baker, in her own words.
Speaker 2: Thank you for all the great information.
Speaker 1: Did you expressed my collar stools? There anyone else louds on the air of Jelly dot COMY not necessarily replan the views of the Jelly dot Com or joo Jelly, and we are not responsible for any stupidity which might ensue.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: In Denial Secret Wars with air Strikes and Tanks by Larry Hancock. Secret wars became a staple of US covert operations and are still happening today. Larryhancock's book In Denial rips the cover off.
Speaker 7: Many of them, using new files. It exposes things about the Bay of Pigs that no one has ever written about before. It shows why it really failed and why the United States did not learn from it. It also shows why other countries today are doing secret operations with more success. This is the book that puts what some want to deny into the light. In Denial, Secret Wars with Air Strikes and Tanks Larryhancock. For more information, go to Larry hyphen Handcock dot com. Pick up your copy of In Denial at Amazon dot com in digital or physical forces