Speaker 1: I spy with my electronic eye, illegal wagering. Hey, weren't these cameras installed to keep America's enemies from blowing up on homeland? Well, sir, how many times have you been blown up since the cameras went in?
Speaker 2: Zero times? Now I'm gonna go. Do you give the money back?
Speaker 1: All right? All right?
Speaker 2: Four finger discount Ude, welcome two four finger discount. Where this week we're going to be surveilling you all out there. We're actually watching you. You're not just listening to us, you're listening. We're watching. I'm dando you may even be watching. Are we doing it with love? Though? With always? With love? Always?
Speaker 3: We lead with love on the full finger of this gap.
Speaker 2: And those of you out there listening right now who have paid to hear this early, we love you e them more. We've got a lot of love. But yeah, if you're you get upper to your love, we could we could do with it some more love here full think of this gap? Sure man? Yeah, well love the better. But yeah, to surveil with love an episode that guy topped me off the air. I'm like, I didn't mind it, not yesh for the whole episode. Shall we start with the start, Well, let's start with the start. Yeah, let's do that. You may recall deep Breath Wednesdays Tuesdays.
Speaker 3: Indeed, in the history of the Simpsons, they once did a thing called damn It. I just rewatched it, but my memory is shot Simpsons Family Fun Time Variety or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Showcase, Yes, it's spinoff Showcase. Yeah, but you.
Speaker 3: Recall that it starts with a little bit of a song and dance number and the whale On Smith and dancers and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I want candy and all that. Yeah. I hated that episode as a kid, like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: I appreciate that episode because it took the pis very once I knew what they were doing. Yes, Indeed, the opening credits of Surveilled with Latin, which is a lip dub's the term we use back in the day of Kesh's song TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's me.
Speaker 3: It's an unironic version of the Simpsons Family Fun Time Variety.
Speaker 2: Did you find out why? You've read? Why they did it though, Well, it was part of a whole Fox. So that's one of those things where Fox is like we ownly you have to do this. So I don't think that the Simpsons w another way to go, Hey, that's a cool shong, let's do it. But they still have to do it. I know they still did it.
Speaker 3: Though we all have to do terrible things we are contractably obliged to do. This is part of my contract with the full Finger disc and Network. You'd be amazed that things I.
Speaker 2: Have to do for Dan do the things you have to take off, Yeah, the things I have to put on. I mean, but Hank, you know, Hank Hill gives the advice in our recent episode of Speaking to the Hill exclusively on our Patreon where you know, when the boss they think you just gotta you just gotta suck up. You just gotta suck up and do it, he says. And if you don't like, you to sing a song to yourself and play along. Basically, it's just, you know, you do what the boss says. So the Simpsons Foxes like do this, They're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that person made an appearance in this episode as well. Yeah, yes, unsure about that one of my favorite moments. Maybe my problem is and I think I've been on the record on the four Finger Discount Network about this in the past. Kesha really only has one speed. Every song is a variation on TikTok.
Speaker 2: It's such a time capture of that song. It's very much a time capsule and.
Speaker 3: Potential hot take coming in hot. The Simpsons as a show is cool. I think it's got a lot of great brand as a brand, yeah, but certainly as a show. The Simpsons as a family, they're not cool. Homer, Marge, Lisa, even bart you know all that El Barto shit not cool.
Speaker 2: He's a little dork but was one of the popular kids in his year level. But he still, you know, is a bit of a dork. Yes, and acknowledge that. In episodes like Summer of four foot two, Yeah, you'll have actual cool. But Lisa's more cool because Lisa is more true to herself. Who do you think he is? Dennis the Menace.
Speaker 3: Having Yes, them all get together and you know, lip syn to TikTok. I know it's not what the Simpsons wanted to do or anything like that, but I just did not like this credit sequence.
Speaker 2: But you know, it was quite memorable at the time. I remember people were talking about it, like, Hey, the Simpsons they're all singing TikTok, and is it called TikTok.
Speaker 3: The song is called TikTok, Yeah, and it's actually spelled the way that the popular app use.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I mean I didn't hate it because I saw it as a necessary evil for them, because you know, the boss said so. But still I'm just like, I don't know, it's just felt like when it came on, I was like, oh, it's this one. Remember when it first happened. But apparently it's one of the only two times where they don't actually say the Simpsons correct, Yeah, because I must have been. I was like, a might hit skip intro here, which I never do. Yeah, never do it. No, never skip the intro. Now, we touched on that with Matt Salmon. Remember we're talking about skipping the intro, and my kids always sipped the intro and I wish they didn' blahlah blah, that's why they got to the couch gase and things like that. I watched the recent special half of it last night. Extreme Maker of a Homer edition finally came out, and the chot board gag is I will not skip the intro because if you had to skip the intro, they actually had a really long couch gag of people just like physical art. So I'm building the couch gag from just various shit like homewares and things like that. So if you do skip the intro for that part, you do miss a really cool cauch gag. So don't don't get the intro, but offer a story, right, Okay, But just just this happened to me, I thought, I just have to tell this story. There said nothing to do with the episode, but I recently it's Eliot's birthday coming out, and I recently brought him some football cards. A month ago, I purchased these football cards, the whole set of the cards that is collecting off eBay and I said it was going to arrive two weeks later, and two weeks later came by. I didn't come, and then it says delayed, delayed on eBay. I was like, I'll wait a couple of days. And it got to the twentieth. I'm supposed to be here. I said it was going to arrive on the twelfth, and because the twentieth and I was like, they're not here, and he was like, weird. Something else I posted that date didn't arrive either. I'll check into it comes back a couple days later, Hey, I've got the tracking number. It says it was delivered June first. I was like, nothing was delivered June first. It definitely wasn't. He goes, well, what it says here it was? And we look it up and he's like, maybe go to the post office and seever it's there. I go to the post office this morning, but no, there's no parcel here. Bye for your name. What's the tracking number? The look up the tracking number. It's been sitting at my house since June first, in a safe place. Do you know where the post is now leaving parcels in a safe place? You know where he left it? A padded bag full of football cards.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, like on the footpath.
Speaker 2: No, in the electrical box? What since when does the posty put things in the electrical box? They've been it's been in my electrical box for three weeks. Who the fucker things to look in the electrical box for post No one does, no one. And the guy in the post office right goes is this Indian guy goes again And I was like what And he goes, I tell this guy, tell him he's a new guy. He posts everything an electrical box nobody looks an electrical box.
Speaker 3: I'm partly laughing at the situation. I'm partly laughing at your wonderful which was part Zoidberg bone up.
Speaker 2: It was just I was like, I don't want to I don't want to fully commit to it. But basically it was just, you know, he was like, I keep telling this guy don't put an electrical box. He keeps putting them in the electrical box. I was like, nobody looks in the electrical box for parcels. What is going on?
Speaker 3: This fellow clearly has the best intention. He wants to keep your shit safe.
Speaker 2: Because I thinks probably thinks of someone sees and they might steal it. Correct, So at least leave a note in the letterbox chiculate.
Speaker 3: Don't have those little cars that they say yeah right in electrical box.
Speaker 2: So if I didn't, if I didn't follow it up, it would just been sitting in the electrical box until we had a blackout. We're oh, he's Elliot's birthday presents from six years ago, at which.
Speaker 3: Point, you know, father and sna restraant. You didn't give me those footy cards? Dad, you promise me, is that or not?
Speaker 2: That's a little weird. Yeah, it's a little weird. So if you ever have a parcel missing guys out there watching or listening and you can't find it and it says has been delivered, to check your electrical box. Never happened to me before, Wise, wise lesson, but continue. No, I was just about to say that when I was doing my research for this episode last night work, by which I mean watching to surveyor We'd Love. I was watching on Disney Plus and came up Extreme Makeup a Home edition though texted Dan I said, hey, we should probably do an episode of this that I'm watching it right now.
Speaker 3: And then our pale stone Cutter, rates Bes is going to get two shout outs today because she'll get named when we do the Stonecutters. But also she put up on the Facebook group saying, hey Brendon, Nando, Guy Davis, have you checked this out yet? And we're like, oh, maybe we should and we probably will. I think we should do so, Oh we definitely will.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I looked for it last week because I went to The Simpsons went to exclusives and it wasn't in there, and I was like, oh, maybe we're getting it late. Maybe it's not there didn't put it in the exclusive section. It's just its own random thing that's Understey. Plus, if you don't search for or find it, you don't know it's there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're kind of dropping the ball in some ways. I mean it's Disney. You mean Disney, Yeah, yeah, I mean just throwing ship out there. Well yeah, one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: The Bear. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But in between season four and the upcoming season Vibe.
Speaker 2: They had a little we found this thing was when did this come out? What is this? Yeah?
Speaker 3: They did a special standalone episode called Gary It's in the past, right, Yeah. I watched it, Yeah, and it's I'd yet to see it. I just knew what it did. But yeah, it's got my man, well my dudes, Evan mass Backrack, Hello Influences and John Berthorpe just a yeah, an episode Punisher, right, yeah, the Punisher.
Speaker 2: With those guys Shane from Walking Dead, I want to Shame from Walking Dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bunch of other stuff. Cool guy in ones.
Speaker 2: He was really nice.
Speaker 3: He called isn't he counting? He's the brother, isn't he is? With the most glorious head of hair? But I interviewed him and he was talking about all these people he worked with, and I mean he was no slats by this dage, but yeah, these are big names he was talking about, and he was referred to them as mister like like yeah, and when I worked with mister.
Speaker 2: De Niro, I was like, this is really nice. This guy's got to Yeah, showing the props. Good for him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so they're not hiding these things, but they are not making they're sort of making them a little difficult to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, enough.
Speaker 3: About that to surveyor with love. I liked the central idea of this because I liked I like stories about surveillance.
Speaker 2: Who's doing the man? Yeah, who's doing the watching? And what are we watching for? And that's the big point.
Speaker 3: Especially what were watching for? Because one of my notes in here is this, Wow, Ned can fuck off because yeah, I mean initially they sort of set up this surveillance system to anti terrorism, yeah, to guard against illegal activity. Ned takes it and runs with it, and he decides to monitor what he thinks.
Speaker 2: Is immoral, his idea of a paradise.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, just yeah, made me go fuck.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's throwing the question out there of how much survands is too much? The valance to the point where your freedoms are being impeded.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and when do you reach the point that's like that you will stop doing stuff of your own accord? Yeah, because when it just becomes sort of second nasue, like well, I'm just going to be watched, you know, even when you're in a situation where you know no one is watching, but you become so indoctrinated to yeah, not step out of line, that you'll just be a good little citizen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I find that really really interesting. And and they tackled it. They take it a well here they did.
Speaker 3: They about it in a very roundabout way, as they tend to do on the sentence.
Speaker 2: I just find the story of oh we've had a blind spot. Quick, everyone from tow let's go and do some illegal shit in the backyard. It's like, you guys weren't doing this before, so why are you doing it? Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: But something I've written down here is that, yeah, suppression creates compression. I think they actually use the term compression in there as well. But I mean, you te something down line long enough, yeah, eventually there's going to have to be some kind of release of pressure. And yeah, it may manifest itself and is like, yeah, I never did, Craig before you're telling me I can't smoke cigarettes. We've been give him the opportunity to have to run a little wild. I might you, yeah, I might take that inch and run a mile.
Speaker 2: If you're in a long term relationship when you break up and all of sudden it's like, I'm gonna run wild. Well, yeah, absolutely nothing. Luise, You're lovely certainly. But so I thought this was closer to because I ranted. I believe it was. The last twenty one episode video says twenty one squat in the Whale where Flanners doesn't feel like Flanners anymore. This is closer to the Flanders that we know. But it's more it's in the middle, because this is the as bad as closest to the Flanners of Oh we're going to get now, because he's just not the same person anymore. No, I don't think this doesn't feel to me like the Flander as well.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I mean, I defer to your knowledge when it comes to the Simpsons, and it's wonderful cavil to characters. I tend to view Flanders as well. Certainly the early the early version of Flanders as like almost like the best version of Christianity, even though he is incredibly pious and you know, easy to make fun of, but he's generally very forgiving and he's generally very giving as well.
Speaker 2: Tries to see the best of the situation. And I don't think he really he doesn't try to impose his world beyond anybody else. He tries to set an example. I think I may be wrong. There were times where he tried to impose but nothing. But if someone said no, it's saying that don his face, he just would give up. Sure wouldn't keep pushing and pushing and pushing. But here it feels like he's like, I'm right, I know everyone needs I'm going to keep doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why it was funny when he would have breaks, you know, I mean when Hurricane Eddy, Hurricane Netty or something like that, or that was the first time he properly broke, yeah, or it was, Or it's funny when you see that his parents are freaky bick nicks.
Speaker 2: That's just Hurricane Eddy. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I think I think all that's very very good. Whereas we were talking, we were just talking before we started recording about episodes this season that we didn't like, and there was the greatest story of add where that's just gonna be strigger from the record that episode, I think so, but not after we talk about it this way, yeah, where you know he's very much again he was pushing it. Yeah again Yeah, and two very similar stories. Really not really he's not.
Speaker 3: He's not pushing quite as hard. You get the feeling in that episode. He's very much like, let me show you the way. You come to the Holy Land with me, and you'll see you'll see what I see, You'll see the world through my eyes, and you'll you know, you'll come aroundo my way of thinking. Whereas in this way he's really just sort of you know, he's been given a little bit of power and cracking the worp, and you don't see any consequences of that either. I mean, I think they very very quickly then go oh wow, I got a little ahead of myself there, you know, I got full of myself.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he needed a little more pushback and we need a little more payback as a result for him going as wild as he did. I think this would have suited someone Walker, Helen Lovejoy quite possibly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the all town Gossiper. Yeah, yeah, have the.
Speaker 3: Love Joy sort of working in collaboration and you know Rever love Jos Wow, No, sorry, why am I giving him that voice?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I know what it's like to No, I know what it's like to be God or something like that. I mean'd Midley that works for Ned as well.
Speaker 2: But I just feels like Flanners is the only one in there doing it. No one else is doing It's just Flanders. Yeah, what does he go home? Is he wa washing his skill? Like? What's going on? Yeah? What happened to the other eight people that you brought in?
Speaker 3: I mean, we know why Marge left.
Speaker 2: Ye, van Houten's were there, and there's a few others. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I think I just feel like there was room to do more.
Speaker 2: And I do think iranted last week about characters just being ruined. They've completely ruined Cletus and Brandean for me, oh yeah, but that they've crossed the line now between country bumpkins and just downright monsters. But they're just horrible people. He's talking Clearic's talking about how he has sex with animals, and brand Dean's drinking while pregnant, and it's like, you didn't go you didn't cross those lines twenty years or fifteen years ago. Now it's just it's not funny, it's it's uncomfortable. I don't I Mike, this is OK. This is a kid show. You know, this is still a kids show. Right, you should not be making jokes about having sex with animals. You can, you can, I know people will say, oh, you know you had the tromaclue of fish. Then it was implied that's the h didn't outright comme out and say I have sex with fish. It's in clearness here says I have sex with animals. It's like, who thought that was funny? I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing that I hate most when it comes to art, but particularly comedy, is obviousness.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's like it shows a disrespect for your audience and a lack of trust in your audience. But you know they won't get the joke, so we were not even going to make a joke. We'll just say stuff for what we think is funny. But it's really sort of more for shock value or anything else.
Speaker 2: It's not so much that was a really clever joke as opposed.
Speaker 3: To can you believe that he said that that's the lowest.
Speaker 2: That's the fucking lowest. So yeah, don't do it. You're better than this. Since I know I hate to be the person who says that there's nothing worse.
Speaker 5: Than a successful franchise you can do bid in this especially, we're just like, dude, way better than you number one showing Disney Classy.
Speaker 2: But another character that I feel has just been just newted now to the point we eyes of you can't take him seriously, and no one on the show should take him seriously anymore. It's Chalmers. So at this event, he's walking like a two to two and stuff like that, walking around baby clothes or something like this isn't this isn't normally me, or this isn't the usual me or something. And it's like the teachers are there as well, so he's work colleagues are seeing him behave this way, the kids of the of the town have seen him behave this way. How they ever supposed to take him seriously as the superintendent charmers anymore. It's just it's for this, for the sake of this most forgettable cheap gag. They've ruined all the integrity for the sake of a throwaway gag that no one remembers. Yeah, and I know we always say, oh, look at a revert to status quo. It's like we always revert to zero at the end of every end. But don't no, I know, I know, and we say that, right, it reverse the status quo. But there's nothing in the story here that has him revert to status quo. And everyone go, let's just say the boys are mocking him, say haha in your dress, and he does something, it's like, oh, now they fear him again. It's like, no, next week they're going to be back to being you know, the big superintendent, Charmers and Skinner scared of him. Why would you be scared of this guy?
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, this was it. We started thinking this episode wasn't bad. We might be to wed our words.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't too bad. But yeah, the idea of how much the balance is too much? The balance to the point that it, like I said, it impedes your freedoms and world rights as a human.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I mean, I thought. I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence these days. I'm sorry to get all sort of welcome to current affair or whatever. But there's a lot of antidotal evidence that young people, you know, teenagers, people in their twenties or whatever, just aren't going out and doing as much. They're not even dancing as much because they don't want to be recorded, they don't want to be put online, they don't want to be roasted, they don't want to be sort of made the meme of the day. You know, you do one wrong dance step where you pull a weird face on the dance words, you're like getting down or whatever, and all of a sudden, it's like, you know, check out.
Speaker 2: This dipshit and it goes worthwhile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so people are just yea not doing it, and they're having their social skills stunted as a result. I'm sorry I'm being waving the fist of the cloud here.
Speaker 2: But I do find you are less inclined to take a chance. Oh absolutely and be yourself because you're in fear of Oh it's not just these people in the room board see it. It's everyone around the world will see it, who never meet will see it. And I'll be mocked forever, and I'll be known as that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's going to have a very deleterious effect on your mental health.
Speaker 2: It's like the guy, I know, the one. Have you seen the turndown for What? Wedding video where the guy thinks they're going to play turned down for What? And then it cuts to dancing Queen? Have you seen that? Okay, I'm not showing you now, but this guy here is like apparently this is all his known form and his friends. Now he's just not forever. I mean, it's one of the funniest videos you ever see. Have you not seen it? Okay? Case, I know you love turned Down for What? Sure do for What? Dancing Queen? It's pretty funny. I feel bad for laughing at the guy, but watch this. Don't think he should be ragged on that.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that dude's awesome.
Speaker 2: No one should be ragging on that, right, Oh man, I mean that was a great DJ moment, what he was in the zone? That guy like everyone's in on the joke though, I mean, yeah, but he'll forever be that guy, you know, sure, Yeah, but I think there's.
Speaker 3: A difference between that and yeah, just just being afraid to.
Speaker 2: Make a fool of yourself.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, that's part of being human. It's an intrinsic part of being human.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, sorry, see.
Speaker 2: A video on social media once, I think it was Twitter where some guy was doing some weird dance or something on like his fire escape with like his kids, and they filmed it and I were like, look at this this dad's dad moves or whatever, and the kids are having a great time, and he he seemed look at the camera. He sort of like stops and he takes the kids inside, and it's like, this guy's having a moment with his kids. Yeah, and you're fucking These teenagers laughed at him for it, and he went back inside and they put it on social media and all these people are like, oh yeah, check out his movies. It's like but people did turn on the saying, hey, this guy's having a moment with his children. How about you guys just fuck off? Yeah? Are you were?
Speaker 3: The term panopticon, you know, it is a prison where everyone can see each other, okay, and that's what stops you from breaking the rules. So we have basically created our own panopticon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it sucks. Yeah, it sucks, man, I hate it. Here My favorite do you have any favorite moments in the episode. I had one or two, and one of them was yeah, sure short his back Benby and again again we haven't found out who she who's her father yet, it's a character on the show.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, I just like that mistaken Jim over Kearney. But also what I wrote was like, uh, Ned, make it out is not illegal.
Speaker 2: No, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe it is in the States, maybe in certain in certain sections.
Speaker 2: What what I don't understand is why did no one during this episode say hey, this guy is like why is this guy in charge? Yes, he's not the police, and I know it's like the polices that are. It's too half. It's like, couldn't you at least say, hey, you re placed this guy, or.
Speaker 3: You know, he's our citizen deputy. Have a little swearing in seramon or something like that.
Speaker 2: That would be really.
Speaker 3: Interesting for Ned have power and go to his head and then have him feel conflicted and citizen talment and everyone's like we have.
Speaker 2: To buy by flat. Look why what does he have? It's Ned Flanders. Yeah, like you say, don't do that, don't do that. It's like, what are you going to do to stop me? Yeah? I'm not breaking the law. It actually makes no sense. This plot makes no sense. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: I was hoping that Bart would sort of have a bit of a hero jeae and he sort of did the same degree where he's you know, where he's showing his But I'm like, good, that's what you should do.
Speaker 2: The man I liked you were touching on earlier. I didn't mind that can be willing by woman of Color. That felt free this episode air. By the way, it's twenty ten.
Speaker 3: That feels incredibly like early that's not like the pre woke era. Yeah, and this feels like peak woke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's normally the Simpsons are sort of on that side. To see them mocking me this this crowd, I was like, I'll take it.
Speaker 3: It was very twenty twenty six, So just that, yeah, color, And I thought the acronym gag was pretty funny. One was that that was when Clancy first gets his Oh yeah the four a's and that yeah.
Speaker 2: Really only remedy to remember P, B and J. But remember that remember ABC, but also a four a's. It is always advocate. But I didn't mind the gay bar symest. That was actually pretty just a gay bar. Next question. You there eating the paste trivia time. Hit me with your first question.
Speaker 3: I only have two one of the one of THEO is the two bad questions. Okay, that's uh. According to Lisa, what is spaz shortfall?
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming this is the correct term. It's I guess spastic something. It's a spectic to plegic. That's the plegic. Okay, never use the term spastic. I've said the word, but don't use it in a dry term. Don't do it. I feel like as a society we've all come to accept you don't say that word. But it was the thing where you go w a spaz and it's like we probably shouldn't be saying. It's not the R word as well, don't say the R word. It's just not nice. It's not a good word. My first question for you is what was Milhouse struggling to shoes from at the cafeteria.
Speaker 3: Well, it was like jelly desserts and he liked the yellow one because he thought it was either lemon or pineapple. Correct, but yeah, that was what they couldn't it jealous couldn't decided on the je Two bad question for him, Moe is reading a magazine in bed. What is the title of that Magan who was on the cover. Oh I didn't even look at that. Actually, okay, because what's his name? It's Eddie Izzard's carried it. By the way, we should give Eddie their full name Eddie now either goes by Eddie, Susie Izzard or Susie Edzie. Eddie Izzard Izzard has fully transitioned or goes by they them or he her now.
Speaker 2: But look wicked Wiki I'm talking about right now. Born Edward John Izzard is a British out comedian, actor and activist. Her comedic style takes so it's yeah, must have transitioned then, or at least wants to be known as female.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because yeah, Iszard identifies as a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's the right term, but is a cross dressed in their act or her act for a very long time back when she identified as male. I think it's always been part of their life or part of her life. Sorry, folks, I'm just navigating this new space. But yeah, when Isaid's character is putting in new cameras everywhere and they install one in Moe's apartment, is on his bed, he is reading ugly reader and who's on the cover a till of the hunt.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't like what he said. That's pretty faint. It is funny. The thing is that I feel that Mo has just become a character that we need someone to be says a one liner, like something weird or something gross. It's just throwing Mo. Yeah. See, I'm gonna just randomly the appear. I know this was his house, but he's just become the characters pops up for a quick singer.
Speaker 3: Your rant last week was basically about they're not writing jokes for characters anymore.
Speaker 2: Now they're running jakes and assigning them to characters. Yeah, yeah, that feels.
Speaker 3: Kind of the case increasingly for me as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I always agree with you, Honor, but yeah, it's becoming more and more obvious, it seems. Yeah, this used to be driven by characters and need write jokes for those characters. Now it's like, let's just joke joke, jog joke.
Speaker 2: Joke, and to see who we need who haven't got in the episode yet, there's not much. Remember, Lenny was working at the Teller that the power company last night, Like, why is Lenny working at what's going on John On Here, but he played Nigel Baker Butcher, which I actually didn't mind. The twist at the end where it was all designed to be a reality show for England. Yeah, I was like, I'll take that. It's something I did.
Speaker 3: Except I'm kind of a simp for the former the artist formally known as Prince Charles.
Speaker 2: Now now he's King jar. I always like the guy I've never had any I'd be very indifferent to him.
Speaker 3: Look, I won't say I had like a wonderful decorative play too. Was like, oh the Prince, but I don't know. I always thought he'd got a bit of a raw deal in some ways. So for him to be made the English rab Wigham, I was like, man, he started, you started off poorly with TikTok, and you ended badly with the joking as the King.
Speaker 2: You came with the King. I don't know, miss, I don't think anyone who's born to a royal family has ever been given a raw deal. Sir. Maybe on social media. I don't think he cares what we sound social media. We have peasants to him correct in news.
Speaker 3: It'll make Danda sort of go oh god, silver spoon guy here, But Prince Charles and.
Speaker 2: I went to the same school, not at the same time, not at the same time. But despite how ancient and I look, I am not Prince char I know it was for like one one term or he couldn't get it, couldn't do it a whole year like I did. Was that just because they had to meet a quota for Australia or something. I'm not sure. Maybe it was like a British spy of some kind, possibly, who knows. But we actually haven't touched on the subplot of this one, which was ship. Yeah, there's a reason. It's pointless, there's a reason. Why Why was it there in twenty ten? Are we still doing this that blondes are still you It's like legally blonde was a whole ten years before they made a sequel and everything. Yeah, at least it can't be in the debate class because she's dumb. She's because that other debate of Megan is a bitch. And there's a light at the end where she she says something the ones of you're not you know, applauding me because of my because of the content of what I'm saying. It's the color of my hand I'm like, I think you think you're trying to push a message here, and you've got you've got some sort of powerful message behind what you're saying, But it doesn't make sense, especially in twenty ten. No, not at all. I haven't heard anyone make a blonde joke in so long. No, I just haven't. No, that's the who makes blonde jokes anymore. Not really, No, I mean there's who runs the world blondes.
Speaker 3: I I'm gonna make a dumb blond joke. I'll probably make it about the Paul Brothers. Yeah, even the still Yeah, and even then they're doing it right. Yeah, they got they got King Charles money.
Speaker 2: They made more money in that three seconds what I've made in my whole life. My next tributa question for you will be and Dan, it's a brunette. What is the name of the fellow debtour who always mocks Lisa Mes? Meghan? Yeah? Yeah, I didn't like Meghan? Your next question? That's all I got.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I mean, well, I could we could talk about akroms. I mean pep and jay stands for what.
Speaker 2: That's usually peanut, butter and jelly.
Speaker 3: Usually yes, in this case, I forgot what the pe stands for. It's be judgmental, but also jotted.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Yes, we'll get to it. That I've got it my notes. My final question for you, then, is where is the bowling alley that has the good mac and cheese. It's Ogdenville, right, Ogdenville. Yes, that's right. I didn't I didn't mind the setup to getting to the surveillance. I was like, it's quick, it's simple, we get there, correct. I mean.
Speaker 3: That felt like old school Simpsons to me. The fact that you'd be sitting in like a train station or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's they got really.
Speaker 3: Good mac and cheese, and that character built old school Simpsons to me. Maybe I'm just getting old. Yeah, maybe I thought that was funny. But one of the break crumbs on the top, well that's right. I mean, if you want to make good mac and cheese, it's got our break CRuMs on top.
Speaker 2: By the way, what are the odds? Just last week we did March versus the Monobail and was one of the mona oils Odenville. And guess what we're doing on the movie guide. We're recording this week The Truman Show, which is a lot of surveillance and cameras.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's like it's all connected by the way, I know you like a good nitpick. After the bag with the platonium in it gets blown up at the train station or whatever.
Speaker 2: Does it get Well, there's that big explosion of course. Yeah, yeah, that's what there wasn't Women of Ken Was it Homer like going to Ogdenville? How did he get home? Yeah? Looking, this is your problem with that that there's a lot of things in not just modern Simpsons, in tweet, in modern life, just in just in tips like I went and saw a toy story if and I won't I won't spoil I won't tell you anything, but a lot of things going, why do you just do this? This fixes the whole story. Why why are they doing this where they could just be doing this? And it was like because the kids Pixar used to be better And he's looking at Dad like you're ruining my child. No, I was sticking in my head. But I used to say I was whispering to Nicola. But I remember thinking that watching the movie. When Nicholas said it's just a kids movie, I was like, you know what, I never used to think when I was watching a Pixar movie. This is just a kids movie.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no. Check out the movie on with Martlin Davis where we did Toy Story one, the original maybe best recently and we spent ages talking about, you know, the attention to detail the picts are made, and not just in terms of their visual setup.
Speaker 2: But also story. They made their stories type, they made them like a submarine. Al Right, is time for some Stonecutter shout out, starting with the incredible Hoomus Davis, Katy g and of course we've got here, David Stewart, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Maker, Elliott j O'Neill, is Abella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn d V, Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dentel, Planned Flood, Bella Win the Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McLeod, March, Eleven Ginger and Pickle Preston, Murray, Talia and Riquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James Sheppard, Joe Reading, Sect, Dave Pretzel's McNally, Gavin Lang, Damy Miller Charlie Joe, Abigail B. Sharpcatter and Craig Alt Smash Gloucester. Thanks for being top tier stone Cutter supporters here at four thing of this Gap.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being the Pixar of supporters, the original Pixar Indeed make KDG like Toy Story two.
Speaker 2: She's the original short film. Oh yes, she's tin Toy. So the original air day of To Surveill with Love is May second, twenty ten. The top three films at US box office when this episode aired were number three Date Nights and number two How to Train Your Dragon, and number one A Nightmare and elm Street to the reboot. Never watched it, the remake of A Nightmare and arm Street. Yes, yeah, they went for a phase, didn't they. They rebooted all these movies. Halloween, they sure did. Friday thirteenth got rebooted. I feel like hell Raiser is a movie that could probably do well getting rebooted.
Speaker 3: It did get reb yeah, and it wasn't too bad. But yeah, it never really sort of I don't think it went anywhere just beyond the initial remake.
Speaker 2: People keep talling to me Horror is back. I'm like, is Horror back or because people are saying backdoor movie and O posession and stuff. Are they horror movies? They're scary back rooms or backdoor back rooms? Yeah, yes, indeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're more sort of spooky movies, yeah, than additional.
Speaker 2: Slash of horror. Yeah, but terrifies more. My god, it's going to kill them this way. That's goreporn. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean horror is great because it's got all these different sort of you know, subgenres within the genre.
Speaker 2: I think. But when I think.
Speaker 3: Of like a good Saturday night horror movie, I think of like a final Destination or something like that, where it's just like, oh my god, yeah you're half laughing half ah yeah, half laughing, half terrified.
Speaker 2: Obsession.
Speaker 3: I've yet to see obsession or back rooms. They're both good in different ways. Okay, Yeah, I mean obsession is just an absolutely sensation. It's the Yeah, the return on investment is something insane. I mean, it's may almost make close to like a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: World, is it? Really? It's like paranormal activity style Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Eight of those didn't they They certainly did. But yeah, this night maryon Elm Street to reboot was yeah, just no good it was a real yah. I was kind of looking forward to it because they cast with Robert England. No, no, Robert England was back Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy Krueger. There's an actor I really like and who can play sort of like weird menacing.
Speaker 2: But they're good. Yeah, it just didn't work. Yes, but they were the top three films. Dave Night just hanging out, It's been there for a while now, still number three from the last three. Last week looks like it's making a bit of money there, Yeah, got a million bucks, Yes, there we go. And How to Train Your Dragon of course making lots of my Apparently Toy Story five has already made it's money back and then some like the first weekend it's been one hundred and twenty per percent of his budget.
Speaker 3: We're as guilty of this as anyone. I mean, we do this segment where it's like the top three films Judge by box off, the Judge by their box off returns.
Speaker 2: People are going just cause this Toy Story. Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the films are going to be talking about twenty years from now, aren't necessarily the ones that made a shit ton of money.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't remember a lot of what happened in Infinity War or even in Endgame. You remember the thing of snap and stuff. Yeah, you remember.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to say Avengers assemble and you know, Captain America got the got the Hammer.
Speaker 2: That was pretty cool. But if it didn't, if you didn't live through that time, it's I just feel people are going to go back in twenties and go, oh, what a great movie these were. So it was a great moment in time. If you're a Marble fan. Yeah, yeah, I went and saw it because it just felt like it was an event at the time. Sure, I had no connection to the characters. I was like, yeah, I don't know. If someone said assemble and everyone sim was like, I was like, oh cool, I appreciate you guys, you dig it. Who knows many, But yeah, it's just we're just going to see franchises these days. But I do it's in the playum actually, but that the popcorn Buckers. I touched on the popcorn Bucke's recently, right. I do realize they feared out where to get people to go to the movies. It's everything's every movie's you got a novelty popcorn bucket and they're like fifty bucks each, but people are buying. They signed it the buzz Lightyear Want. Have you seen the buzz Light you Want? It's actually fantastic, but they much like the original buzz Light Your Toys and Toy Story the movie came out, they sold it like that. So now they're selling for like two hundred dollars on eBay. And I think that's one of those things where it's the fomo and then you know in two or three is people are going to realize, oh, it's just a popcorn bucket. Yeah, I've got these tin. I've got tins Danny the Toy Story ones. They're like twenty bucks filled with popcorn. Ay Year drink with it. So I'm like, I don't mind buying those for the kids. I'm not going to be buying a sixty five dollars popcorn bucket because it's shaped like you know, grogu or something. It's like, what do you do with the once you finish a popcorn? No one's buying grogus.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how much Baby Yoda has just fallen off.
Speaker 2: So we went to see Toy Story five and the combos with the Grogu stuff are like half priced, like we can't get rid of this stuff. I didn't go see it, no, I mean neither. Crazy. It astounds me that I didn't go see a Star Wars movie likewise, and I had no desire to see it. And yeah, look at me, and I loved we did a mental podcast. We really did. And when it hits Disney Plus, I'll be like, oh, I'll get to it when I get to it. Insane. It makes me so sad.
Speaker 3: Well, like talking about marm I mean, fantastic four First Steps has been on so long and I'm just like, I'll get to it when I get to it. And like I said, it's got my boy in it even must backrack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you didn't do well? Did it didn't do well? Well? I think it did all right, well enough for a secont though probably just available love So sorry. We're going off on a lot of attentions. Written by Michael Nabori, directed by Lance Kramer. Guest stars. We said Eddie is it as Nigel Baker Butcher and Marsha Wallace of course as Edna or Cash Gag. So, first of all, do did they have the chopboard gig, not to have the sign gag, didn't anything billboard gang. Okay, the whole it was just the lip dub to tip to Tikkok, Yeah, said tik Tak kicks off with the guys bought at most, but then Touff men, are this what? Absolutely no where by the way. So he walks in with like the space Jam song You're all ready for This, And that song, by the way, is called You're ready for this? Yes, I won't, I won't hear get ready. I know it's get ready. The song is called You're ready for this, Ready for this, it's the it's the space It's Alliott calls it the good Guys song. That's when the tunes squad start taking like fuh up on the monstars in space Jam. But they he says, the only thing better than Duff is free Duff stuff. He gives them on touch on this ber Cozy gives us some big cozies, right, Yes, my mate from America who brings me back some blu rays every time he comes back. He said to me, I was at the party the other day and asked for a stubby holder. Yes, and I'm like, what are you talking about? He's like, what you put your drinks in? I many cozy. It's like all the things you've got to call it. That sounds so yeah, these guys, give me your beer, give me a cozy, Give me a beer and make it cozy. Yeah, give me a cozy. I was they were called cozy beer cozy because I'm nice and cozy, like a tea cozy. Yeah yeah, because he used to have tea cozy teapot. But just yeah, give me a Budweiser cozy beer cozy and flash drives and whatnot, people like give it flash drives. It was. It was a time that where people give it flash drives, like you can store things on this, yeah, and see jpeggs there's so little storage.
Speaker 3: Oh god, because I mean you got this, you've got office works now and you can get one of these, like oh my god, I got thirty two gig on this and you're playing like ten bugs like you get someone. It's like it's good when gig games.
Speaker 2: Remember when it used to be. You know, you're three and a half inch floppies come at this of course, and maybe you are, and you would put like, you know, two word documents and maybe maybe a PowerPoint, and that's it. It's fool But there's where what's his name? Duff Man leads for a dinner date with his strange daughter. He won't discuss why she shopped out of college, then tries to shop the merch here to Bart and Bart gives him nothing. And that's pretty much it. What was the point of that opening? What? What? What does that? Am I going to find something? Does that lead to anything?
Speaker 3: Not that I'm aware of. No, he's just but he's just got a whole bunch of dugh stuff, including like grill you don't see it anymore? No, well, yeah, I mean the only reason it's some exciting incident is because he's got the duff bag. He's taken on this tough stuff. It's like, we need to get rid of this plutonium. Where can we put it? I'll just put it.
Speaker 2: In that dickhead's bag. Wore we a lot of We really took the scenic route we did. Indeed, Millhouse has taken ages to choose its jealous and I didn't think trust McNeil did a really great job of being You can tell it's trust she was. She gave it a roll. Yeah, you can tell the oh yeah, had you've been stirring at these gelatin desserts for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Pick one?
Speaker 2: It's so hard to decide.
Speaker 4: Is a yellow one, lemon or pineapple?
Speaker 2: It's your pet canary. No, scrimpy, ha, you're a spaz.
Speaker 4: That's not true. First of all, Malhouse felt because you tripped him. Secondly, spas short for spastic toplegic, someone who suffers from a serious medical condition. Thirdly, you're ha through overuse has lost its power.
Speaker 2: Wow, I bow before your logic. None of this is Nelson Nelson the point. This is just where the Simpsons is now. It's gonna have to be accept it. I think just characters saying shit they would never say. Nelson would never say, Oh, I bowed your logic. What if that's a Mountain Prince line? Yeah? Maybe?
Speaker 3: And I guess, Hey, it's funny that Nelson is saying a line that you might hit coming out of Martin Prince about But no, and don't.
Speaker 2: Am I supposed to believe that Lisa, of all people, didn't know the school had a debate team.
Speaker 3: Correct, Come on, and plus, I don't know saying your catchphrase is played out is exactly logic. It's more like just a burn.
Speaker 2: But then miss Dubinski invites her to the debate team and unfortunately they can't. They've got no no what's called funding? Have they? So Ralph is the Latin like the lea turn. Let's wheel that Ralph again. He says, I'm a furniture because that's all. That's what he is. Now, I'm a star Wars, I'm a furniture. I'm an insert whatever the theme is at this point in time. That's all he does. Now. The City debate tournament, Lisa gives thoughts on why hybrid car buyers should be given rebates paid by taxes on Hamburgers. Skinner then says the podiums are needed as easels. So they leave because they had I think it was Wendell and Ralph. It was Wendell, yes, yeah, and then Megan Winscrew is Lisa and she wins Yeah.
Speaker 3: But just attacking your character, but it's by doing sort of personal insults.
Speaker 2: As a person, which isn't but not debating the actual topic. No, great, I was.
Speaker 3: A reminder of this. There was going to be zero zero, zero point one percent of the listening audience to get this. But I remember watching this movie back in the eighties called Listen to Me. It had Kirk Cameron in it from Growing Pains, one of his brief stabs a big screen startup.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there another movie called Listen to Me? It was talked to Me. It was Talk to Me. And there was also Lean on Me, Lean on Me, Yes, And there was also a Return to Me. A lot of me movies. And this one was about a debate team and they realized they were kind of out matching their coat said, if we can't win this, if we can't win this thing on fact, we dann we were better win it on drama. So they basically the debate team at the end sort of like told all these personal stories that were meant to sort of sway the audience, bring a round their way.
Speaker 3: I think he as opposed to like, here's my argument, here are my points cogently delivered. It was more like, did this happened to me? And find the theatric and even yeah, even as a kid, I mean not a kid, like a teenager watching this again, what a terrible messy.
Speaker 2: It's like no.
Speaker 3: Appeal to you, like the base instincts of the of the people that you're trying to convince as opposed to like winning them over with the strength of the argument. It's like, no, no, let me tug at your heartstrings. I saw that maybe where are we now? I saw that maybe thirty years ago, and it's still like, man, that pissed me off.
Speaker 2: Well, it's very much what happens. We've been watching a lot of Law and Order lately, Nicola and I not suly, just normal law and order. And when the defendant realizes that, fuck that is played the theatrics to the jury. Oh sure my dog died yesterday. When that happens, I just thought I had cancer. I turned into calmic clocking from SPU. Just grewed the kid and growed the gun.
Speaker 3: That's the best episode agend Cooper anyway.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Megan at the end, Yeah, not winning.
Speaker 3: The debate by you know, coming up with a good rebuttal to to Lisa's argument, just like, yeah, listen to Blondie here.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous, Yeah, ridiculous. Smithers then tells mister Burns that the Hollow Mountain in Nevada that's supposed to hold a million years where the nuclear waste is full. He says, did you jump on the pilot swush it down. He's like, yeah, but it kept coming up somewhere else, So they say, he says, find the biggest idiot on payroll and slip it into his bag. We'll just put it in the bin whatever. Smithers then puts it in. Good opportunity for a gag there.
Speaker 3: Just you know, I have a nice little bit of bands between the do how about this place? How about this place? How about this place? And just increasingly.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous places where where you've been storing all your nuclear waste. It like, put it in someone's bag. Yeah, I would did that last week, so you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you used to You would have done that before you used to train.
Speaker 2: Then they eventually decided to put it in in Homer's bag because they seen him in the lunch.
Speaker 3: Room because he's got all his tough merchan Yeah he put up a tough poster there. Yeah, but he's also yeah, I got.
Speaker 2: His tough bag. And they discussing mac and cheese when he says the best one at the train station, and then Smithers has put the plutoni in the bag. Whiles they're discussing that cust a Homer at the train station talking to some random guy who says that the bowling alien Odiville has the best one has bread crumbs on top. And so Homer leaves and he leaves his bag and attended thought. I thought he did this well, So the unattended bag there was at one I still did this stay you see the undertended bag your panic, right, I didn't mind that all panic. But I've only ever once seen a guy put a bag down. It was at the Melbourne Airport and he put a bag down and walking to the mail toilets, and I was like, I remember, I got the security guard and I was like, that guy's put a bag down there and he's gone to the toilet. And immediately there's all these guys came and picked them and carefully took the bag away. The guy came out looking for his bag. He's like, I just din't want take my bag into the toilet. It's like, I don't think you can do that. Dude. You realize that's the year twenty twenty something. Yeah, this is like two or three years ago. Could have gone away with that in the twentieth century. I was sitting and thinking, oh my god, I hope I'm not gonna get in trouble because it was so much drama that this guy just came from everywhere.
Speaker 3: He was accomplished.
Speaker 2: But the guy got in big trouble. I didn't get fine or anything, but he just got like a got at talking to There was one guy that was just going ape shit. Oh yeah, He's like, what do you think we're going to think? Look, you can't with your bags out at ten and he's like I just want He's like, yeah, well you didn't think he was abusing this guy and everybody. And I was like, shit, he won't do that again. And we have this concerned citizen over here. Yeah. He was the one who pointed I think I did the right thing, though you did he put it seems like a nice guy. And I was like, just in case I'm going to step away from the bag, take your bag in with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just put it on your back. It's a backpack. Was it a back It was a backpack? Oh yeah, sorry, all bets are off. This guy's an idiot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's he's back, back off and put it on the ground. I was like, sorry, that guy's too stupid to fly attendant bag.
Speaker 1: So what do you think I think we're gonna blow it up and let the bleeding heart.
Speaker 2: Liberals ask questions later, well.
Speaker 1: Yo, why can't it be blown up by a woman of color?
Speaker 2: Five four, no time for a full countdown, and the clock Land said, yes, you're right. How is in the backyard? Now? I thought he's.
Speaker 3: Gonna we're going to go some nice mac and cheese.
Speaker 2: How much time had passed? Though? Maybe? I mean?
Speaker 3: How far was Ogdenville? He's gone to Waldonville?
Speaker 2: Had some mac and.
Speaker 3: Cheese gone home?
Speaker 2: Who knows? Is that right? Something?
Speaker 3: Had something I'd adding.
Speaker 2: Up for big clock Lands in the backyard? Oh, with dinner time five to six? Apparently the dinner time I think it was five to six. That was gonna be one of my trivia questions. I'm glad you didn't ask. We come back from the commercial and we have a news report that chatter nuclear chew choo story. It's a terrorist plot. That decided it was a terrorist plot. There's enough radioactivity for seventeen hulks and a spider man, and we get an image of them playing baseball. What does can say? Shucking? That's pretty fun. Then it's town meeting and it says today discussed terrorst threat tomorrow regret action taken tonight. Yeah, I like that. And Quimby admits that this, the terrorism discussion up to this point was just fear mongering. Yea, but this is legitimate now I am truth mongering. Yes. And now they've hired an outside UK consultant who's a cute accent as much requested, sounds like Paddington Bear. He puts on a slide show and he says, once in the UK, the only problem we had was overzealous flower sellers. Now we're monitored by security cameras everywhere. I like the spin on the London eye comes an eyeball. Yeah, Sharry Bobbins is now a terminator robot. What do they called the T one? Their T one hundreds, aren't they? And liquor better Man one.
Speaker 3: Thousand and then I've forgotten what the female tur terminute three it was called.
Speaker 2: He was like the t X or something. I need to revisit that. I've watched that movie once in my life. You tell me it's okay, I remember watching it. Annie isn't in it very briefly, isn't he? Or is he not in it at all? An't he isn't a fair bit he's not.
Speaker 3: He's not in Terminated Salvation.
Speaker 2: That's the one I went. He's in it. What a brief little bit I remember Moat. It's kind of a deep faked Arnold. Yeah, yeah, I actually remember memories. It's going to see that because my mum and I rocked up, and this just shows the state of how the movie industry has changed, right Tory save what twenty ten? Maybe it's my mom and I went to watch it. It would just be like, you know, a Friday night or something, and my mom and I've only gone to the movies by ourselves a couple of handf of the times, probably why I remember it. But we walk in there and every seat was full. The only seat empty was the front road down the very very front row like Terminator Salvation is full people. It was full. So my memories I having to sit right at the very front, basically looking straight up in the air. But I remember when Arnie came on the screen, the entire order it's erupted. I was like, yeah, we used to be more easily entertained, and we used to go to the movies. Now we've burned out our pleasure centers. Yeah, I went to Disclosure day, and there would have been about five people in there. I'm going to see Toy Story five on Friday afternoon after school, and there was us and two other people, so six people in the entire v Premium cinema four. There were six people in there. Yesh, that's not good. And these two other people had giant bags of Sultan vinegar chips like the giant party bags and were crunkling the entire movie. Was itcusy? Look another story disclosure day? We went to see it, right, No, not about the movie. It's an old man Dande story. We get there light and you know, I don't mind people sort of making noise, of eating your popcorn, your drink's just your usual movie sounds right, But talking during a movie, just don't do it. No, I'm just not. I won't have it right. I've paid money to come see this. You've paid money to see this. Why talking? Right? These two girls were about I don't know, six or so rows from the back row, and these two girls were sitting at the back and they were just talking at the side of the move just talking, just went out, just talking to each other about anything, but not watching the movie at all. I said to Nichol, They've got five minutes to shut the fuck up or I'm gonna time to shut the fuck up. And she's like, yeah, they I can hear them as well, so talking. And you know, when you get to the point where you're distracted, and I felt I would find myself. I wasn't really focusing on the movie. I was listening to them, right, and I stood I said, guys, please, I'm trying to watch this movie. And I sort of looked me like and then they moved right, so they thought, oh, well, we've just moved to the back left corner. They won't hear us. And then of course they fucking kept talking. Right. The guy about three seats three rows down from us turns out and goes shut up, and they just start giggling and they just keep talking and they're on their phones and it has gone around and then I hear a thud. Right. I turn around and one of them is standing in the aisle with a torch on the phone. The other one is doing a handstand against the back wall, and they're filling themselves live streaming on TikTok. And I stood up. I've never done this before, but I stood up and I said, if you guys are going to watch the movie, get the fuck out, and they both go, we're sorry, and they just left and I was like, why did you come? I felt bad afterwards, yelled at by these I was like, no, what, no, fuck off. You're doing handstands in the aisles. Fuck off, I've done that as well. I just said, get the fuck out, and they left. Why were you even here?
Speaker 3: No, man, I've told me able to shut the fuck up. And I feel bad after I've done it as well.
Speaker 2: But they shut the fuck up. You're at the movies. Shut the fuck up. This is not your living room. No, you like in your own place. Fucking handstands doing live streams.
Speaker 3: That's insane. That's insane. I don't approve.
Speaker 2: And I said to Niger, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: She's like, no, no, no, I've never been to.
Speaker 4: Excuse me. Is this what the framers of the Constitution would want?
Speaker 1: I'm Waally and Wally's framers, and this is exactly what I want.
Speaker 4: How many personal freedoms are we willing to give up in the name of security.
Speaker 1: That blonde girl thinks she's smart like dark hairs.
Speaker 4: Again with the blonde, Why in the world with the color of the hair on someone's head had anything to do with the intelligence within, And that's.
Speaker 2: The thesis of our episode. Yes, how how this is the point? Yeah, we learned something today, we did indeed.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a line that was going around a lot sort of posts September eleven, when you know, you got the Patriot Act and there was a lot of surveillance of American citizens, a lot of surveillance of American culture, you know, post of the September eleven attacks. Yeah, and there was a line that was going around that was like, he who trades freedom for security ends up gaining losing both or gaining neither, or something along those lines. Yeah, little bolshevik me was gone. Then there's a lot of shits down with your system. Now you got to strike a compromise between the two. But now at least got a point there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then Clearest mocks have for being blonde. And then the episode goes back you have no point, yes, and Lisa asks, you know why, and Quimby says, why do people think blondes are dumb? Then we get Quimby's blonde saying that he's promised to leave his wife when she's fifty. Look, I'm guilty.
Speaker 3: I've I've gotten many a good love out of Quimby mistress jokes in the past, mainly because yeah, partly it's a play on JFK and Marilyn Marlral. But all the hell, a lot of times they're pretty funny. It's like, was the one where Quimby was like in disguise or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were a gold joke. No, for some reason, I find that bunny. But yeah, this one not great. But then yeah, so this says all votes say cheese. All the post I had America, I thought it was a good but then but this is where he says next emotion on the terms of the city officials, I say I have sex of animals, and that's it. Says I don't have sex of animals, but also oppose the term laments, and I was like, need a different line there, I have sex of animals. I know I wasn't a fan.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't hate I mean Quimby saying I have sex with animals. It kind of leads on from the from the previously about it, I hate America all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like, OK, that worked with animals shouldn't be on the TV.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, well then after that, don't have clean the same, We'll have clear the same.
Speaker 2: I agree with the first, but I opposed the second. Not something along that. I just think that sex with animals there's not something should be saying on The Simpsons, probably saying old man Dando. But I just don't. I just don't think that that's the kind of thing that, for example, Matt Groening or James L. Brooks. I'm surprised books approved that I have sex with animals that that line being on The Simpsons, so outright. Brooksy was probably working on another project at this time. Yes, was his movie that tanked around this time was probably how will you know? Or how do you know? He's got a movie that tanked in every year these days. He's maybe one recently that didn't really do all that well, yeah, probably the French loved it. Marge then gets Lisa a book which again goes nowhere. So it was just Sally's Circle and ret to Land book and she reads it and it's just basically this Sally the Circle isn't gonna have any friends anymore. Yeah, she's a because she's not one rectangle lad. Yeah, and that's it. Lisays that' bother ambitious book, unambitious book, and that's the end of up it. Then the UK guy was his name Nigel, He butcher is he shows him way to put all the cameras. He puts one of these most some obvious secrets. You ain't gonna like what you see, says. Then the kids are watching Krusty make blonde jokes, but says, blonde guys aren't dumb, they're just evil, like the Kreatei kid and World War two.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got a letter bug on F six, double homicide in progress on Q twenty, woman's sun bathing top us in our fifteen, Chief, I think we got a misuse of police equipment on ZZ ninety nine. Chill drying gas station customer washing windshield without buying gas, girl using whiteoutist nail polish. Oh man, this is hard. Hey, did you get that guy was parading around naked?
Speaker 2: He was just jogging in a tan sweatsuit.
Speaker 1: Chief, Are you sure?
Speaker 2: I thought I sized that.
Speaker 1: Was a fanny pack one on the front, but there was water but it was speaking.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's it.
Speaker 1: Can't take another minute of these stupid screens. Go go find some concerned citizens to pick up the slack.
Speaker 2: Well, how many should I get?
Speaker 1: Well, we've got eight chairs, so all the wait put one chair in my office facing my desk.
Speaker 2: So I seem like a meetings guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I have a seat.
Speaker 2: I'll do it in one minute. Yeah, there's a new low And I was like, this is getting to be a new loan. It's just a bunch of pointless jokes that don't matter and don't further the story and just.
Speaker 3: Well when they're poking fun at various characters or deflating them all whatever, Yeah, I don't know, it's it's not to the purpose of like showing the humanity of these people. When you used to make fun of Wigham, it's like he's a man of position of authority. He's the police chief, he's the head cop in town. It's kind of funny that he's a little insecure. But when you do it all the time, it's like, what's the point. Looks like you said before, was like, we're not this person has no authority. Why am I scared of this person? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well why am I? Why am I listening? I feel really dumb down Wigham to the point where you don't really hear Eddie say much, but Lou seems to hate him now kind of yes, and it's just yeah, it's weird wire and then runs through the PBJA period of monitor be judgmental and John of down, that's what he's ABC, the four a's Flanders, then c's jim Bow and Shawn a smooching and yeah again, shouldn't I have just I mean, Jimmy should have gone that's right, I'm macking on a shwaner. You can watch if you.
Speaker 3: But then it's always been a thing in like American shows and movies. You know where you'll have I think they refer to it as an inspiration point here, and they have that on happy days. Let's go up to inspiration point lookout point, yeah, or whatever it is. But you know you you didn't have your own place, say your high school kid or whatever. Go, oh, we have to I got my license.
Speaker 2: Let's go up to the isolated because the line Burner's car park. Oh sure, one of the happiest nights in my life and local reference absolute but you know, should have seen guy's face when I said those two words. It's like a whole core memory came back to me. I was like, I was like the food critic and read it to you just went you'd see it.
Speaker 3: It's see it in like American movies and TV shows all the time. You know, the kids would go to inspiration point in the car and they're making out or whatever. There will be some cop.
Speaker 2: Going, hey, you get out of here. It's like, why is there any place the kids? Yeah? And I mean is it what the laws against? Is this public?
Speaker 3: Is this in decent exposure? Is a public indecency? I mean I could get it if there was like a gang man going in one of the cars or something.
Speaker 2: Or as I learned what dogging meant or correct.
Speaker 3: But if it's just a couple of kids smooching in a car, even.
Speaker 2: Get out of here, you kid get a little handsy.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it's above the clothes stuff, what's to you about the clothes stuff?
Speaker 2: Feel So, here's the thing being.
Speaker 3: He's imposing and he's been kind of a pervert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and flanners. He's just enjoying interrupting everybody. Marge thinks he's prying too much. And Maggie's watching the gay bar, which he thinks she's saysame Street, I guess there's teaching him sharing and caring. Not that was funny. I like that.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing when all those people are brought in, when it's not just when it's Flanders and the love Joys and.
Speaker 2: The van Hottens both love Joys and think it's both love joys enjoy. There was she Okay, I think why was she not? Why would she not do this? I don't know, because Flanners is more central a character, I guess, or more high profile character.
Speaker 3: Wigham says, well, you need people.
Speaker 2: You people are perfect because you're prying, but you're not pervy, like okay, yeah, I kind of like that, but yeah, then Ned's getting a bit pervy as well, is Yeah. Lisa then gets out the hair dye Die Die, I die. Then Mode takes bets on the weather weather report. Homer gets it right. He guesses golf ball sized hail, which pays off in a few moments, and Flanders tells them, tells on them so he can hear all the conversations as well. Yeah, it's not just yeah, not just more or is it that he could just see I think I see gambling. Yeah, well that.
Speaker 3: Could be just money changing hands. But we've got to borrow money off one another.
Speaker 2: Carl calls him out and he's like, isn't this this isn't the purpose of them, right? Isn't the purpose that sort of stopped terrorism? And then Fantasy is going to keep making that noise until he gives it back. And it's very Dark knightish as well, did you have my way? Well? Is he not the Batman one? Yeah? Because I think it's.
Speaker 3: In Dark Knight where Morgan Freeman has basically set up some systems like we can tap into all the all the cameras around town or whatever.
Speaker 2: Is the dark Dark Knight rises or is it Dark Knight Rise? I oother it was Dark Knight maybe maybe yeah, And Morgan Freeman's yeah, I've made the system, but no one should use it. That's how he sees.
Speaker 3: There's all that big bank of TVs, and Christian Balle says, I'm only going to use it.
Speaker 2: I'm only going to use it once. That's too many. Morgan Freeman, What a man. I'm trying to do my best. Morgan Freeman. It's tough. It is tough, yes, but this is where they go home. We're not safe in here anymore. We're going to go home to out cameras in side their home, so we're going to stand inside her house. Then the golf ball, Yes, that's the payoff then, but it's flushing his ars at the camera and realizes that he can't see him, and he makes the blind spot and he draws it in the backyard. Lenny and Kyle then arrive at Chaos Corners. The Pleasure Patch has not seen on TV is where Brandy In drinks whilest pregnant. I must go here. I just hate these gags. There used to be country bumpkins. Now they're just next level monsters, not funny. I see how anyone watching this and go, oh, yeah, she's drinking while she's pregnant and fucking a bad child. That's hilarious. So good love it, great, great humor. Flanners is happy, nothing is going on. He eats a sour ball. It's really weird and annoying and just it's just a shit character now, just a genuine shit character. I did not like him in this episode, and I've normally got a bit of a soft spot. But yeah, at the party, they're having a drag race, not very far because it's in the backyard. But then sees Marge coming, so everyone starts acting legal and Marginon tells Homerer off for wearing Maggie's mask on he's junk it's her Halloween costume, and Margin's annoyed. See I thought when he says, this is what I've been doing, She's like, that's very clever because in the beer bar and he's like, well, this is what I've been doing. It's highly illegal. And she's like, you know what, that's very clever. Sure were here. She's just like she ratted him out. I don't want you doing it. Mare. It's like, but so what do you want, March. You don't want Flanners to be prying and everyone's lives. We also don't want to be having a spot where they can just be themselves.
Speaker 3: And if you are conflicted, take a lesson from the b plot of this episode and make an argument for both cases.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a tricky one. It's half a middle land on one side of the argument when both have their coaching points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is where flantners. Overhere is Marge discussing the blind spot, so he gets so clearly there is audio. There must be Mike as well as those cameras, because he's a really good liberator. He gets Rod to hold up the mirror. He's shaving mirror so you can see them. He sees me in the backyard, and he tells him and Todd to stay inside, but Todd's already in the backyard getting attacked by the bullies. Well not just attack, they're feeding like rats into his mouth. It's like Terrifier three see it. Yeah, there's a scary clowns the tube and yeah, I've basically just like saw like the death scenes. I was like I did that. Okay, cool, good on you. And then someimes someone's like, there's actually a story to all this. I'm like, hither we really care about the story. We're just down for more. Used to get those movies, you just skip the first fifteen minutes and get to the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Bro the Thirdeth movies.
Speaker 2: Essentially they went the movies I was talking about, Oh, forensic files, the boring kind, not the c S I kind. Is a debate day Meghan and now is this me I thought this was a different I thought this was a different debater from the first one. I thought it was Meghan. It would be the point of having Meghan in the first bit. I thought it was Lesa getting to come up. It's some Meghan. It could be wrong. Yeah, you could be right. I don't care enough to really check. Lisa. They're debating where the uniform should be mandatory. You're meant to say for the listeners. Ten, we're supposed to care abound the Simpsons and she enters with brown hair. I realized everyone should be the same way she's about uniforms. She'd wear uniforms because everyone should be wearing the same It levels the playing field. See, we have to wear uniforms. We've always had to wear uniforms, and it never dawned me. We're discussing it recently when we did a review of Team Homer, that uniforms are the thing. Like I overwatch The Simpsons. I was like, oh, yeah, they don't wear uniforms in America. I think uniforms are actually a good idea. So it does level the playoff playing field.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, yeah, otherwise you haves and have nots. You get that out that T shirt that came at her back when that used to be an insult.
Speaker 2: Yes, Then she says it's better to fit in with the crowd, and then she calls them all out for being persuaded by the color of her hand or the content of her argument. I thought you're trying to go for like Martin Luther King by the content of my character. I have a dream kind of shit. Then she reveals it. So basically, what.
Speaker 3: You're saying is that Martin Luther King Junior's most famous speech or shit.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying they are they going for that? Then yes, she reveals that she's actually bond and the old monocle lady saying roots. And then not all blondes are dumb, not all fat people are jolly. And of course we get comb guy here plaining about something.
Speaker 3: Would I be eating a whole pizza? What's he doing?
Speaker 2: Just being compa guy? And all people aren't all bad drivers? And Grandpa crashes through the wall, and that's the end of that story. That's it finished. What was the point? Everyone is now doing naughty shit for the sake of it. Homer has got a steak on his feet because why not in Flanners and tell him to meet his feet. Hammer says, you can't see me, so I'm not doing anything wrong. Planners thinks, voices, I'm right here. I can't see. He thinks he's done well. But then Charmers is wearing a dress with nunchucks. This used to be a small part of me. I was like, you've just it sounds ridiculous to say you've ruined the character, but this kind of shit ruins characters. I don't get. Why did Charmers have to wouldn't it be funny if Charmers. No, we believe Charmers would do this, but.
Speaker 3: Also I don't know, man, this seems like the kind of thing you would do in the privacy your own home and people you don't have cameras in your home. According to this episode is very true. It's not like he was sort of like going to Marti Gras and in his outfit with his nunchucks. Now we can do it in public for this episode, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Flanners and concedes, you know what, this is all my fault. You know, I shouldn't have been prying to everyone's lives like this. I didn't want to be a big brother, wanted to be a little sister. Then he asked, how can I make things right? And Homer and He go out and smash out all the cameras. Then it cuts them, destroying them. All the American Oaks reality shows, which were the American oaths and the Queen's watching it, and Prince Charles says, my cat's breath smells like cat's food, and that's the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: That is the end of the episode. Yeah, Ned's revelation that he had done wrong, not this is he had done wrong, but this whole system was kind of bad. You need to make that, you need to articulate that a little more, and then you could have them actually breaking stuff. It would be sort of like, yeah, I feel better for that.
Speaker 2: So no, that's not a Ned Flanner's voice, but yeah, I feel better for because I'm breaking these I suppose I mean them going around breaking stuff. It just felt like out of care, not even out of characters, like but who who pays for all the cameras? Where are the police? So Flanners has the power to say, we're not doing this anymore, specially the cameras. Why don't everyone else just smash the cameras? Correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean at least have a like little payoff gig after to say you're realizing, oh, it's for all those cameras.
Speaker 2: Something, yeah, or have them arrested or something, just as a little throwaway goes once once Wigham left that was even never saw the police again? Is that just because they didn't want us to think about the story and go, well, we don't have them in episode? They might not think where where are the police? Maybe? Maybe who knows? Who knows? What do we learn? Bomb? So what you learn from the episode, Mister Davis longs have more fun? They do. Indeed, I learn't never trust a British person. Fuck forward, your names will be all right. There's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship. They current leader stands at this in first position. Way ahead is Philip Jay Hawkins on twenty four points. In second position. Second position, we have Kyle Muldoon and Nathan Briggs both on fifteen, and Mike Salter Adam Moorehouse both on twelve. In third position. Take it away. One point goes to ned teen eighty four. Justin Parker, what's that play on, mister Davis? That's a player on the dystopian classic novel nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: Brittain by George Orwell gets a shout out in this episode. The camera company that Nigel Baker Butcher uses to spy on Springfield is all Well Optics or something like that. Established in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: Should our listeners go and watch that movie or read that book? You certainly read that book.
Speaker 3: I mean it's pretty much the ultimate text when it comes to dystopian past, president and future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 3: There's also a movie that actually came out in nineteen eighty four. It's Grim and Bleak. I saw it with my parents. It was really uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Two points. Two points goes to I Kurumba and guess what the eye spelled?
Speaker 3: Eye?
Speaker 2: I can dig it? Pretty clever. Yeah, is Nathan Briggs. I mean, we wouldn't think any less of him. We will Brigsyriggy bringing home. He's now outright second on seventeen points. Well on Brigsy, nice one smart gay.
Speaker 3: But three points goes two eyes on the springfield it's Pretzel's Dave McNally. Oh my god, these Pretzels are making me horny.
Speaker 2: So he's now in six points. What on? So Dave Pretzel's McNally. That's really good.
Speaker 3: But there's another reason I chose that. I've got to admit it. It's simply so I could.
Speaker 2: Go all right, guys, So that is the guy Davis New Nan Championship, First Edition, still Philip jay Hawkan's twenty four points, Nathan Briggs on seventeen and Clever Kyle on fifteen in third position. Next episode is going to be a mail bag episode. We gathered up all your questions and we're gonna be answering them on next week's show. Don't forget you can be part of a future episode of the mail Bag. It is mailbag at four figure discap dot com dot au early in ad free access to the show and all of our bonus podcasts. There's four or five of them on there, over nearly two undred hours of exclusive contact for just five dollars per month. You can check it out now. Link for our patreot is in the description of this podcast, and also please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify or wherever you are finding this show. Five stars. There is a few kind words as well, but this has been a review of To Surveil with Love. Next is the full Finger Discount Mailbag for now, it's that I've seen you findal words For those incredible listeners out there, we hope you've enjoyed this episode of four Finger Discount, the podcast that is prying but not perthy.
Speaker 5: S