Speaker 1: Welcome to the Becoming You Show, where limits get torched and possibility takes the mic.
Speaker 2: I'm Leah Rowling, human in permanent.
Speaker 1: Beta, neurostrategist, mom to three amazing humans, married to one legendary soul, and your no-fluff permission slip to stop waiting. Every week, we rewire brain patterns, smash hand-me-down mindsets, and dive into the daring, identity-shifting conversations most people dodge. Ready to turn potential into proof?
Speaker 2: Grab your pen. Your next chapter starts now.
Speaker 1: Hello, my beautiful friend. Welcome back to the Becoming You Show. I am your host, Leah Rowling, and welcome, welcome. If you've been here all month walking through these words with me week by week, I.
Speaker 2: Want you to know that it means something to me, right?
Speaker 1: Showing up for this kind of work like four weeks in a row is not nothing, right?
Speaker 2: And if this is your very first episode, I welcome you to. This is it.
Speaker 1: This is the finale of what I'm calling now the rant series, right?
Speaker 2: Week one was raw. Week two, authentic. Week three, necessary. And today, the fourth word, which is truth. And at the end of today, like I promised at.
Speaker 1: The very start of the month, I'm going to put all four of these words together and hand you this framework. But first, we need to have an honest conversation about vulnerability, right? Because I don't think that there's a word that we use more right now except for maybe authenticity, but understand less.
Speaker 2: I want you to think about it.
Speaker 1: It's on every book cover, every podcast, every leadership training, every relational self-help book, right? And I think we have somehow collectively drifted very far from what the word actually means.
Speaker 2: And what it means is, Matters. Language matters. Words matters. Definitions matter.
Speaker 1: Because if we get it wrong, right, by way of just definition, by way of our own understanding, right, we do the wrong thing when we're trying to be vulnerable.
Speaker 2: It's the same with boundaries.
Speaker 1: If we don't understand what boundaries are and what they're not, and we think they work this way and then they don't work, then we just think that boundaries don't work.
Speaker 2: Same thing with vulnerability, right? We wonder why.
Speaker 1: It didn't do what quote unquote vulnerability is supposed to do. So somewhere along the way, I think vulnerability got confused with visibility. We started believing that sharing is the same thing as risking.
Speaker 2: And it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not. You can share everything and risk nothing. And call it, oh, well, this is me being vulnerable right now. Right? And a lot of what gets applauded as vulnerability right now, online, in relationships, on stages, in masterminds, is exactly that.
Speaker 2: Share. Everything share. Sharing. But really nothing is at risk.
Speaker 1: There is no emotional burden that is required on the other side.
Speaker 2: Of that share. We're not becoming more emotionally resilient in that vulnerable act. We're just sharing. So we're going to.
Speaker 1: Start with some of what I'm calling fake versions, not in a rude way, but because you can't recognize, some of us can't recognize the real thing until you can recognize what I'm bringing forward as fakes. What vulnerability is it? And that's what I'm calling fake. I'm not calling it fake is a bad thing, and I'll bring that forward too, but I'm calling it not vulnerability. What vulnerability is and what it is not. And then we're going to talk about what real vulnerability actually is and what it can do, oh my gosh, what it can do that fake versions can't. And then we're going to put the whole month together. So that's the roadmap for the conversation. So fake version number one, I'm just going to call it performed openness, performed openness, okay?
Speaker 2: This is the confession that's already been edited, right?
Speaker 1: It's the story, as we talked about in episode one, that's already fully processed, already survived, already resolved, shared with an audience that is guaranteed to approve of it, right? It's the raw and honest post that went through 11 drafts. It's I've never told anyone this, told to 40,000 people. It's the retreat share, right? Where by the time you're at the front of the room, you know your story is going to land because you've told it three times before to warm rooms. And I want to be 100% fair here. I'm not knocking storytelling. Sharing your story, storytelling matters. There's so much healing that comes from sharing your story. right, a well-told story about surviving something, wow, powerful, can.
Speaker 2: Reach somebody that no amount of framework or methodology could. And it's real. And I'm for it. And I do it. Like, this podcast does it. But I'm not here calling it vulnerability. Let's call it what it is. It's storytelling. Because by the time the camera turned on, the risk was already over. The outcome was already known. The wound was closed. What's being shared is now the memory of a risk, not the risk. Does that make sense? And there's nothing wrong with sharing the memory of a risk.
Speaker 1: But if we call it the same thing as taking a risk, we start believing that we've done something, we have it. And then we wonder, perhaps, we wonder why our relationships aren't deeper than they are. Why our marriages don't feel more connected than they could. Why we don't feel more known. Because sharing the finished story doesn't do what taking a risk does. Those are different actions with different outcomes. So that's fake version one. Fake version two is, this one's just a little bit sneakier.
Speaker 2: It's kind of that strategic sharing. And again, there's no judgment on this podcast. I do all of these things. That's why I know them, okay? The strategic share is this. The sharing that has a job, okay? Right? It's maybe sharing your deepest history on a second date, right?
Speaker 1: Because you want the feeling of closeness without the time it takes to build it, right? It's leading with your wounds, leading with your scars, leading with your identity so people now know how to handle you better, how to handle you more gently, right? It's... Telling your story, right? Before we talk about.
Speaker 2: Who you are.
Speaker 1: Because when you do that, it's generally kind of awkward for then people to hold you accountability, right? The story gets there first, so the accountability can't. And people can feel it, right? They can't always name it, but there is a felt difference between being invited into something that.
Speaker 2: Is very heart provoking.
Speaker 1: There's some risk there in the invitation versus being very calculated, being very managed. Being invited feels warm, being managed feels off.
Speaker 2: And when people feel managed, they pull back. So then the very strategic strategy creates the exact distance it was trying to prevent. And honestly, that's the sad part.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've had this conversation with clients So many times they're wondering why their relationships aren't going deeper. And when we look at it, they're doing this. They're sharing a lot, but none of it is actually risky. It's all sharing that's been calibrated, that's been calculated, that's been performed so that they can mitigate the very risk that's required to call it vulnerability.
Speaker 2: So they can mitigate The risk of feeling something, right? Feeling uncomfortable, feeling rejected, feeling misunderstood, right? And the other person can tell even if they can't articulate it. They just know that something is off and it happens enough. So do you tell? So how do you tell?
Speaker 1: In other words, how do you tell the difference from the fake and the real? And there's just, there's one test, one test. I'm sure there's more than this, but this is my favorite test. It works almost every time on anybody, including yourself, right? The question is, what could you actually lose? So if you ask that about any moment of so-called vulnerability, what was on the table? What was actually at risk? What did you stand to lose?
Speaker 2: Understanding? Acceptance? Tolerance?
Speaker 1: Did you risk feeling her at their rejection, at their misunderstanding? If the answer, if the honest answer is nothing, like nothing was at risk, if the audience was guaranteed to be friendly, to be supportive, right? If the story was already resolved, if the approval was basically handed to you, then that wasn't vulnerability.
Speaker 2: That was visibility. And again, It's fine.
Speaker 1: It has a place. It's just a different thing. So I want you to try this on yourself. I want you to think about a moment recently where.
Speaker 2: You thought you were being vulnerable. I really want you to picture it.
Speaker 1: Maybe even said it out loud. This is me being vulnerable. And then I want you to ask, what could I actually have lost? Was there a real risk that this person, again, wouldn't understand you, would think less of you, would leave? Or did you know that, again, this room was going to be safe because those moments are different? The safe one is nice. The safe one is warm. But it's not the same as the other. And it doesn't do what the other one does. And that's what I wanted to get into. Real vulnerability is truth with something at stake. So telling someone the truth before you know how they'll take it. Asking for what you actually want. The promotion, the change, the.
Speaker 2: Second chance, right? When no is a real possibility and you'd have to live with the no.
Speaker 1: Admitting you were wrong to somebody who could actually hold it against you, who might bring it up in the next argument.
Speaker 2: Trying the thing in public. When failing in public is a genuine possibility. Launching it, publishing it, saying it first. Saying I'm not okay with somebody whose opinion of you actually matters to you, right? Not to the internet or to the business, but maybe to your dad or.
Speaker 1: To your sister. Do you feel what all of those have in common? In every single one, there's a moment where the words leave.
Speaker 2: You and you don't know what's coming back. You don't know what's on the other side of that request, of that conversation, of that apology, of that, of that.
Speaker 1: Of that.
Speaker 2: Right? That's the whole thing. That's the whole thing. Which also means if the moment is fully safe, if there's nothing at risk, it's something else. So I want to tell.
Speaker 1: You a moment in like my own life. And I'll keep it very general because I really want to get to the framework. But it applies here. There was a season a few years ago where I had to say some things out loud in a relationship that really mattered to me. that I was genuinely afraid to say. I genuinely did not know how she was going to take it. I genuinely thought that the relationship that I had pretended that we had, right?
Speaker 2: That's another key.
Speaker 1: It was pretending that we had it because the relationship.
Speaker 2: As itself was built on things that I was too afraid to say.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I didn't know how they were going to land. And in hindsight, It turned out fine. But in the moment, standing there, I did not know. And saying those things to this particular person was one of the most uncomfortable things that I've had to do. But it's also one of the reasons, right, that I have the relationship with her that I have right now. Because the conversations that couldn't happen, right, while I was still managing the truth, started happening the very minute that I stopped.
Speaker 2: And I allowed for the truth to be told. And not in a way, and we'll get to that, but not in a way that, you know, was blaming or shaming or anything. It was just my truth that she could have rejected. She could have stomped on. She could have said, I'm out on this. Like, I'm out on this. This is not, I don't agree with this.
Speaker 1: And if this is your perspective and this is your mentality and this is what you're bringing to this relationship, I'm just out.
Speaker 2: That absolutely could have happened. That's the real risk.
Speaker 1: And it's why this matters, getting this definition right.
Speaker 2: This is not a vocabulary lesson. Real risk is what creates real connection. It's one of the very few things that does.
Speaker 1: So I want you to see that this is not just in romance and friendships and in family.
Speaker 2: This is leadership. This is the leader who says, I don't know. Or I got that one wrong. That's on me, okay? That's truth with stakes. And it builds more trust than any speech that you can give, any values that you can share, any mission statement that you can frame, right? Because the team relaxes. Not because now they know their leader is fallible. They already knew that. We all are. But because now they know that their leader can say it. They can say that they are fallible, which means the leader is safe to be around, which means they can be honest too. Truth is contagious that way. Guess what else is? The absence of it. This is parenting, right? Letting your kids watch you actually apologize without a lecture attached to the end of it, right?
Speaker 1: Not, I'm sorry, and here's what you should learn from this. Or I'm sorry, but let me justify what I did because I'm the parent.
Speaker 2: It's just I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That teaches them more about being human than any lesson you could plan. Any curriculum that you could invite their character into because they see it.
Speaker 2: They file it. And years later, when they mess up and they will, they know apologies are possible. Because they saw one. They saw one in you. This is business. The honest pitch, the real number, the I need help, right?
Speaker 1: Anywhere people are trying to build something together, this is the skill underneath it. And it's the ones who can do it that move faster than everyone around them. Because they're not spending energy managing perfection, managing all of the ways that people could infer.
Speaker 2: Experiences are truth, right? All that energy that goes into keeping the appearance.
Speaker 1: Up, right?
Speaker 2: All of that energy, that energy is available for the actual work when you're willing to be truthful. And that's why the most effective people in any room over time are the ones who tell the truth.
Speaker 1: Not because it's morally superior, although some might argue that it is, but because it's operationally faster.
Speaker 2: So let's put the whole month together, my friends.
Speaker 1: Week one, raw, stands for R, raw, unedited. The version of the truth that didn't get cleaned up first, right? That you already haven't run a thousand times. Okay, two, authentic. That's A, unperformed. Who you are underneath the story about who you are. Under the labels, under the conditions, under the applause.
Speaker 2: Underneath the expected....
Speaker 1: Emotional response that you get every single time you tell that story and you make it mean that that's just, well, that's just who you are, okay? Week three, necessary, yours. What is mine to do here? Not what's fair, not what should have happened, yours. And today, truth, right? Truth with something at stake, said live. before you can manipulate how it lands. Raw, authentic, necessary truth. It spells rant. That's the framework. Your rant is your raw, authentic, necessary truth. And I picked that word on purpose because think about what we have been taught about ranting. Right?
Speaker 2: It's shameful, right? Nobody wants to be the ranter. Calm down. Calm down. Don't make a scene. We learn to smooth every truth down. before we say it in company. And look where it got us. Really, I really want you to think about it.
Speaker 1: And again, and I'll get to this in a minute. I'm not talking about being dramatic for the sake of being dramatic. I'm not talking about raging. I'm not talking about having a curse show and pointing fingers.
Speaker 2: And, no. I just, I want you to think about where this idea got us. It got us in rooms full of very composed people carrying things they never said.
Speaker 1: Marriages where the truth hasn't been in the room in years. Workplaces where nobody says what everybody knows.
Speaker 2: Friendships that have gone, I don't know, half real for a decade. Very superficial.
Speaker 1: Very superficial because where would we begin if we actually allowed ourselves to tell the truth? So I want to flip it. Your rant, the real one, is the most valuable thing you're carrying. It's the thing that you haven't said in any room. It's where you kind of get defensive when somebody gets anywhere near it. It's where you go quiet. It's where the resistance lives.
Speaker 2: Everybody has one.
Speaker 1: Every single person listening to this right now has a sentence in them that they have never said out loud to the person it belongs to, even if that person is you.
Speaker 2: I know you know yours. It kind of moved a little when I said it out loud. Just observe it. Just witness it.
Speaker 1: Years of coaching has taught me about that unsaid sentence.
Speaker 2: It's expensive. You're paying for every single month. You are. Every judgment... you're maintaining, every defense you're running, every old argument that you're keeping warm, every truth that you're managing instead of saying, all of it slows your life down, right? You're working way harder than you need to. And you're tired in a way that sleep doesn't fix. Ask me how I know.
Speaker 1: And a lot of that is the carrying, right? The rant said once all the way to empty. is how you put it down. Not perfectly, not safe, not safe. There is a risk here, but said true. So here's your final assignment. It's the one this whole month has been building toward. Everything else was practiced for this. One truth to one real person this week. Before you know how it lands, before you know how it's going to be received, okay? Not to an audience, not in a post, not in a journal, right? We did the journal in week one. Okay, now it's time to go further. A person, the actual person, right? Where this truth of yours belongs. This is not ranting for the sake of being dramatic. This is not scene making it, right?
Speaker 2: This is not raging at this person. It's yours. It's yours. Said live. I want you to understand, right?
Speaker 1: That the stakes are real here. So maybe you start with something that is a little bit more survivable, right? I don't want to send you into your hardest conversation, but there's a ladder here. Can you start with something honest and maybe small sized, right? Maybe the friend that you need to be straight with, that you haven't been honest with.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the.
Speaker 1: Ask that you've been swallowing at work. Maybe it was that I was wrong. That's a year overdue.
Speaker 2: Start there. Start there.
Speaker 1: The real version, right? The one with stakes doesn't break you. I promise you, it builds you. Every time you say a true thing and live through the landing, you become a little more permanently somebody who can say true things. And somebody that can say true things at the right time to the right person, wow, that person is free.
Speaker 2: Free. Not free of fear. Fear still shows up, right? Free of the carrying, free of the managing, right? That's what's That's what free actually is.
Speaker 1: And if you're sitting here right now thinking, Leah, I know exactly what my rant is and I've known it since week one and I don't have anywhere to bring it, then hear this last thing.
Speaker 2: This is why the inner lab exists.
Speaker 1: It's my membership and it's built to be exactly that place. Because understanding these four words, that was this month. Living them, that takes a space. where you could actually do the work, where you bring the real thing and you say it out loud and you get feedback and you get direction and you get coached forward instead of circling it alone. We all spend so much time in our life, in our life, and almost no to little time working on our life. Inner Lab is where you work on it. Every week with me, with the people that are doing this brave work that you're doing, your rant deserves a room.
Speaker 2: Come bring it, right?
Speaker 1: The link is in the show notes. And if you're not in the membership already, I will welcome you in there. This rant, as I mentioned, is wildly costly. It is wildly costly.
Speaker 2: It takes up.
Speaker 1: So much clutter in your mind. Rumination on who they should have been, right? When really who should have been is the person that's brave enough to be honest.
Speaker 2: We're talking about.
Speaker 1: Clutter next month in the inner lab. This rant is part of that mental clutter that until released creates so much overwhelm and exhaust and frustration unnecessarily.
Speaker 2: And it's painful. You, you deserve better. I hope you'll join us in there. So I'll see you next week on the show. Have a beautiful one, everybody.
Speaker 1: Take care. Bye-bye. If this episode cracked something open, Good.
Speaker 2: Let it.
Speaker 1: And then head to LeahRollingCoaching.com and grab the tools to rewire the story.
Speaker 2: And reclaim your future. It is yours.
Speaker 1: And then share this with someone who's still waiting to be chosen, still waiting for permission and remind them they don't need a breakthrough, that.
Speaker 2: They are the breakthrough. Until next time, my beautiful friends. Invest in you and keep becoming.