Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty. You're listening to Dean Sharp The House Whisper on demand on the iHeart Radio app AM I AM six forty live streaming and HD everywhere on the iHeart Radio app. Welcome Home. I am Dean Sharp the House Whisper. I design custom homes, I build them too, and I am your guide to better understanding that place where you live. Every weekend Saturday mornings from six to eight Pacific time, Sunday mornings nine to noon Pacific time. Today on the show, as per our usual custom, it is an all calls Saturday morning. We're just taking your calls this morning, and it's something that I love. I have grown to love it so much over the years that we've decided to typically make Saturday mornings nothing but calls, and it has it turned out to be a wonderful time that we spend together. Let me give you the number. The phone lines are open right now. Eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral two Ask Dean eight three three two. Ask Dean. It's just that simple. You get to set the agenda for today's show. That's what's so wonderful about taking calls. Anything you want to talk about regarding your home.
Speaker 2: You have a.
Speaker 1: Big architectural design question. Oh, I'm so ready for it. You got a leaky toilet, I'm ready for that too. And how about just anything in between construction design DIY, anything from property line to property line, from the ground to the sky about your home. Let's talk about that today. Whatever's got you scratch in your head? Eight three three two ask Dean, let me introduce our awesome team. As per usual, Sam is on the board. Good morning, dam Good morning Dean. How you doing. I'm good. I'm good. I'm doing well. How are you. You seem well rested and ready to go?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 3: I've been really valuing the benefits of getting better sleep recently. I think I'm getting old. I just turned forty six, and I feel like I hit a brick wall forty six. You're ancient, I know. Oh, I'm just kidding. You're young. You're young.
Speaker 1: You're a young man in the prime of his life on Saturday mornings. Tell that to my left knee. I know, right, those things they don't heal up the way they used to. Another young man in the prime of his life. Producer Richie not near a microphone. No all right. But Richie is on the board. He is taking your calls. He is awesome in every way, imaginable, Golden Mic Award winning Richie. He is there. He will tell you everything you need to know. You'll pop you into the queue and then you and I we can put our heads together and talk about whatever is going on with your home. So Richie is taking calls right now. Eight three three two ask Dean. Calls are always light, first thing in the morning. So now is your chance. If you've never had a chance to get in and get on the air, now is your best chance possible. Give us a call. And there's my buddy. Eileen Gonzales at the news desk. Good morning, Eileen, Good.
Speaker 2: Morning, y'all. Are making me feel old today?
Speaker 1: Why is that Aileen.
Speaker 2: Calling this forty six year old young man old?
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're what you're at thirty three?
Speaker 4: I'm mentally probably probably my twenties.
Speaker 1: Mentally, there you go, so am I think? I think, although I would say I'm doing you couldn't pay me to go back to my twenties. Mentally.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm feeling about eighty right now, but are you physically?
Speaker 2: I'm a little tired today.
Speaker 1: What's the tea of choice this morning?
Speaker 2: Problem? I haven't had any tea yet.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, Eileen is the mistress of tea on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Mistress of tea.
Speaker 1: He guides us through all of the teas that are available to to, you know, to soothe and or excite the body on any given morning. So basically I look to Eileen to tell us what tea is the right tea for today? And you haven't had any, so we're gonna have to give you a dance to you know, poor cup.
Speaker 4: That makes me sound like an eighty year old english woman. No, well, you know what, the mistress of tea. Everybody in the UK young and old. They all drink tea, so don't don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: All right, we're good.
Speaker 1: They all sound older than they really are. Any that's just the way it goes. Sitting across the table from me, another young lady, my better half, my design partner, turner Mike On. Oh, that was in its spotty the it's for some reason we're cutting in and out on our headphones today, things for cutting in and out. But I don't think that was a spotty elephant. I think that elephant just did I think she did her whole thing right there. Anyway, my best friend in all the world. Uh, and the reason I keep getting up in the morning. Tina is here.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome home.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you've seen a little low e today. No, are you just quiet? You need your tea?
Speaker 2: I need my coffee.
Speaker 1: You need coffee.
Speaker 2: I don't need coffee. I just love coffee.
Speaker 1: You do, so do I we're Are we coffee holocks? No, because if we go without it, we don't go through withdrawals. Yeah, I don't get We just enjoy coffee. Yeah, we're fortunate that way, a fine coffee. We actually will drink a coffee in the evening to relax and fall asleep.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Isn't that weird?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We should dive into the show, shall we. When we come back, we will go to the phones. There's still room on the board for you, though. There really is the number to reach me eight three three two Ask Dean eight three to three to ask Dean your home with Dean Sharp. The house whisper Heyfi Sharp, the house whisper hey. It doesn't matter whether your condo, cottage, or castle is your home. I'm here to help you take it to the next level. That's one of the things we love to do here on the program. It's one of the unique things about our show. It's not just home improvement talk. It is encouraging you that architecture, great architecture, great home building, custom home building. It's for everybody. It's for anybody or anyone who wants to step up and say, you know what, I want to customize this place. I want it to be me. I wanted to fit me. It's all about tailoring. It's not even about the expense of the material. It's about tailoring your home so that it fits you like a finely tailored piece of clothing. I tell people all the time that, you know, if you had the choice of buying a really let's say, what's an expensive fabric like silk, like an incredibly expensive silk shirt off the rack or blouse off the rack somewhere, or I just hand you a bolt of just simple old cotton. But we are going to take that cotton and we're gonna check every measurement on you, and we're gonna tailor that cotton to become a shirt that is so you, that is so designed for you. You know, nine out of ten people they say, I'll take the cotton shirt, and because they understand what it feels like to walk around in something that is just made to fit right, and that's what a custom home is all about. And inch by inch, layer by layer, we help you do that right here on the program every weekend, Saturday mornings six to eight Sunday mornings nine to noon Pacific time. By the way, we run a little late in the last break, so I'm going to push off taking calls until next segment here, but I wanted to let our team know and everybody else know. I guys, you guys, listen up here, Sam, Eileen Ritchie?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 1: Did you know as of the latest Nielsen ratings that we are the number one radio show in Los Angeles on Saturday mornings in the I mean radio period number one right now?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: That's really cool? Anybody? Okay? Sam?
Speaker 5: Got you?
Speaker 1: Eileen? Did you know that?
Speaker 2: I did not know that? That's really cool?
Speaker 1: I didn't either. I didn't either, you know, And I'm sure we're going to be, you know, off kicked off the top of the hill soon by somebody. But I'm just saying, if you're up at six to eight on a Saturday morning in LA. The odds are if you're listening to the radio, you're listening to us just just talk and talk, and you're listening to the rooster. And I think people just enjoy what we have to offer here because we're all in a good mood and we're bringing the love and we're bringing the help to the home. So anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you guys that we're all part of something that right now is doing really well here in southern California, and that was our goal. Sammy the beagle is certainly happy about it. He's just staring at me, like, did you feed me this morning? I really don't care about anything else. So anyway, all right, y'all, we're going to the phones. When we return. I promise you the number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral too. Ask Dean your Home with Dean Sharp the house Whisper.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hi, am six forty Live dreaming everywhere on the iHeartRadio. App Ean Sharp of the House whisper here with you this morning? Talking all things your home, and as is our custom on Saturday mornings, we're just taking calls. The number to reach me eight three three two. Ask Dean eight three three the numeral to ask Dean. We are live right here in southern California on this lovely spring Saturday morning. Let's go to the phones. I want to talk to David. Hey, David, welcome home.
Speaker 5: A good morning. Dean. Wondering if you could kind of give me an idea of what I should expect to pay per square foot to build a new house. I own the land, looking at about twenty two hundred square feet, four bedroom, two and a half bath, ranch style, nothing super high end, just a nice house.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh here in southern California.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, I've got I've got land up in right Wood and uh uh yeah, looking to put something up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right Rightwood's a beautiful, beautiful area right there, just a little tucked away hidden mountain oasis.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Any any strange conditions in terms of the land itself. Is it a pretty flat lot? Is it a sloped lot? Are you on the hillside?
Speaker 5: No, it's it's it's pretty flat. It'd be a little bit of grading.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Water and power already exist accessible with little little to no not a lot to do to get to the water and power exists on the property. It's a little bit of grading.
Speaker 1: I think, are you playing on doing any of this yourself? Or is this hired out to a general contractor? Or are you gonna do it kind of owner builder and run the subs yourself? What's the plan?
Speaker 5: No? No, I would have a company contractor come in. I wish, I wish I had the knowledge you had that I could do a few things myself, but it would it would be through a contractor.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean, okay, So here's the thing, you know, I can give you a range. I give you a range. Set these days, things are still hovering on average. On average, things are still hovering around the low three hundred dollars per square foot for own building here in southern California. Some people say, some people claim that you can get it done between two and four hundred dollars a square foot. But I don't find anybody building for two hundred in the two hundred dollars a square foot range. I don't find anybody realistically building in that range. That isn't number one. Foregoing the general contractor, and they're still having people do it other than them, but they're playing the role of general contractor. So you're eliminating that fee, you know that that profit level there from the general contractor, you're also inheriting a lot of a lot of liability and a lot of headaches along the way. And as far as whether it goes above three hundred dollars a square foot, and I would say probably like three twenty five three point fifty is probably realistic as far as planning. But really it's not the shell of the home that that that brings that cost in. It's really the finishes. And you know, I have to tell everybody this all the time. It's the finishes. And how significant are the finishes when it comes to pricing a home. Well, I'll put it this way. We design a lot of luxury estate homes, and yes, because of unique structure and or uh, you know, structural requirements, because we're doing something bazz are with the shell of the home, the actual the actual you know, studs or ceilings or rooflines of a home. Then the base cost of the shell can go up significantly based on that. But even with those considerations aside, most luxury homes in terms of shell run roughly the same as most you know, average middle of the road homes run in terms of shell. It is the finishes that make the difference. And that's why I'm underscoring that it's really the finishes that end up making the difference. I mean, we can build for well over one thousand dollars per square foot depending on how luxurious finishes end up being in a home. Which is why I am so when it comes to mainstream middle class homeowners, why I am so big on design and saying to you guys that design matters most because it does because I've seen again and again finishes being added on to a home and added and added and added and added like layers of makeup on trying to make somebody look thirty years younger, and it's never going to happen. So the point is, it is the design of the home. It's the flow of the home that ultimately ends up soothing and treating you right, and then the finishes are We're not putting as much pressure on the finishes. I always say, you design a home well and put that effort in ahead of time, and that is ninety percent of the game. It really is. And at that point, the last ten percent are the materials that you're going to use, and you can use paper or you can use platinum, and you will still get the overall effect if you're designing that home well. Now, I don't want you to use cheap materials, as in substandard materials. But the point is a well design home doesn't have to lean so heavily on those finished materials because it's all an average. Anywhere. You're going to be spending more per square foot on certain rooms. You know, bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms in the home. Those are easy to spend one thousand dollars per square foot in. And then you've got other rooms like bedrooms and living rooms and dining rooms. You can label them whatever you want, but they are essentially empty shells. They're just empty boxes that you're going to put furniture inside. And those rooms are going to be built for way less than two hundred dollars a square foot. So it's the average of the home overall. And that's why I want you to understand that the average is about three twenty five three point fifty right now, I would say, generally speaking, per square foot, But that's an average, that's not every square foot those are. That's taking the really low square foot rooms and adding those. So that's that's the role it finishes play. And when when most folks are building themselves a home, they actually find it hard sometimes to put you know, tap the brakes on the finishes. You think, well, I'm starting out with this finish, but then you're like, I wonder if should we upgrade the roof tile, And there's nothing wrong with that. I just want you to understand the temptation to do that as you go, and before you know it, you're you're starting to raise the price.
Speaker 5: Okay, very good, Dean. So about three to three fifty, and that includes if I own the land.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, now that's just the build just the build yeah.
Speaker 5: Just the build up. Very good, Very good, Dean. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 1: Have a good day, David, you too, Thanks for the question, my friend, and good luck on that home. Rightwood's a beautiful, beautiful little mountain town here. Not a lot of people realize that right Wood is a lot more accessible than places like Big Bear and Arrowhead, but without climbing all the way up the mountain the same way, it's just like right around the corner the pass of the fifteen there and it's lovely snow trees and just a we've done some design consult up there and it's a it's a beautiful place. All right, more of your calls when we return. There is room on the board for you. It's kind of a sleepy callar morning. I'm just letting you know. This is your official announcement that it is a sleepy callar morning, which means there's room for you. Eight three three two ask Dean eight three three the numeral two. Ask Dean. If you don't normally get through, or you've tried before, now it's the perfect time eight three three to ask Dean. We'll have more of your calls. Can't buy Dean dropped the house, whipper, welcome home. We're taking calls this morning. There's room on the board for you. The number to reach me eight three three two ask Dean eight three three the numeral two ask Dean eight three three to ask Dean. Let's go back to the phones. I want to talk to Douglas. Hey, Douglas, welcome home.
Speaker 6: I have two questions. First question is how there's the one shut and lock a door with wet paint.
Speaker 1: Okay, how does one shut and lock a door with wet paint? We don't. We don't because it's a mess. And uh, I know if you go online there are probably uh you're gonna find some tips and some tricks there. They work sort of. Okay, I'll tell you the one that I think works better than most. But the most important thing to understand when it comes to a door, and I know this is a problem for some people, right because it's an exterior door. Paint is something that it just needs its time to dry effectively. And so part of the construction process is understanding when are we going to and how are we going to address painting exterior doors, you know, interior doors, don't. We don't run through this kind of trouble because we just tell people, hey, listen, you're not going to have the door you know on your your bedroom for today, okay, but exterior doors it's a point of security for a house. So you just need to understand this that most paint drives within the span of a day. Now it most paint cures over the span of a week or so, but dry to the touch. That's really all that we're looking for. And as dry to the touch as possible. So most paints, water based, water based late text paints will dry to the touch in one to two hours. Oil based paints may take six to eight hours. So you have to time it. You have to time it right. You got to time it in terms of, you know, access to the house, and so these are the kinds of things that you know, we get up early on a nice, warm day in which you know, we know we're not going to any rain or excessive moisture in the air, and we get to that door as quickly as possible so that we know by the end of the day it is dry to the touch and well on its way to curing. Net not going to be fully cured, but well on its way, and we can get the door hung back in its place so we can at least close it for the night. So six to eight hours for oil based paints, one to two hours for latex paints. Being dry to the touch curing that's a whole nother issue. Now, a couple of tricks with an exterior door. One, make sure that you remove the weather stripping the weather stripping bulbs around the edge of that exterior door so that when you do close it and secure it at night, close it carefully without it touching the jam, and throw the dead bolt on it so that it'll hold it there. And the door really shouldn't be If the door is trimmed properly, it shouldn't actually be making any contact with the jam. Whatso, however, take off the door, shoe off the bottom, and so on. If your door is touching wood to wood when it's closed, then before you paint it, it needs a little sanding, a little planing, a little trimming. That's the sign of a door that shouldn't be in the condition that it's in. No door should have any contact with the jam on any side of it, if it's been trimmed properly. So we paint the door, we let it dry, it's you know, for a few hours, and then we rehang it. And rehanging it without the weather stripping should essentially allow it to sit there without making contact with the jam. If there's any worry about that, you can rub a little petroleum jelly on the jam side so that in case there's a contact that it doesn't stick and pull overnight. But that's really kind of a last ditch effort. I for to simply evaluate the door ahead of time and make sure it's not touching on any side whatsoever.
Speaker 6: Douglas No second question. If I provide a cane lock on the door, and I mean a cane bolt cane bolt down into a a stone tile floor, should I provide new blocking underneath the tile or can the boat just go into the stone floor? Stone tile floor?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I see what you're saying. Do you need blocking underneath now? You know? I mean as far as a cane bolt is concerned, generally speaking, will just notch down into the tile. It really has to do with how thick the tile is and how thick the mortar bed is. But generally speaking, you could make a drill a hole out into the tile very carefully. A lot of good can bowlts have an actual strike plate down there. The strike plate does more good than even the tile itself to protect the tile from the edge of the can bowlt. Generally speaking, we don't recommend putting a can bolt directly up against tile because even if it gets a little bit of pressure on it left and right, you know, you always run the chance of chipping and or cracking that tile. So reinforcing the edge with a strike plate down there on the floor is always a good idea if you're going to throw the can bolt pass the tile down into the floor sheathing. Yeah, you may want to put a block underneath it so that it's digging into solid wood and again putting the pressure off the tile. Tile floors, stone floors very very strong compressively. They're not very strong laterally, and so getting that side pressure on them can cause cracking and chipping that we want to generally avoid. Douglas, Thanks for your question, my friend, appreciate the call. A lot of people have thought about that before, like, hmm, how do I paint my exterior doors and still seal the house up by the end of the night. The answer at the end of the day is number one, the doors trim properly, and number two timing on the painted early in the day on a nice warm day. It should be dry to the touch by midday and well on its way to curing by the time you put it back at night. But let it cure for several days before you put too much stress on it. All right, y'all, when we return, more of your calls your home with dean sharp the house whisper on KFI you're listening to Home with Dean Sharp on demand from KFI AM six forty