Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show. Idiots. The kids are playing to trail off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Good afternoon, and welcome in on a beautiful Friday afternoon Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You gonna get you set for the weekend. Maybe the weekend has already started for you. If so, then salute. If not, you know we'll get you there as best we can. My name is Nick Coffee. We've got Austin Montgomery, the travel chief, alongside, and I guess I think we're now, at least for the last the last three days, we've kind of had an easy way to ease into the show. Yesterday we did start more so with like the NBA playoffs just being super competitive and awesome, But then we did in the first segment get to the I guess the rumor the report, and there are differences between rumor and report. But the Arkansas game, where Louisville their potential opponent in the first game of the in the acc SEC Challenge this year is Arkansas. But what I'm getting at is that here we go again, Pat Kelsey reminding us that, you know, he seems to get us, and I don't want to give him all the credit for this, although maybe he is deserving of all the credit. I'm sure there's a lot of people that are a part of this to an extent, Josh heard specifically, and others that you know are behind the scenes that we don't really see a lot, but I'm sure they have an impact. But the Louisville basketball schedule right now, in the non conference, I mean, I guess if you ask, you shall receive, Because I said here and there really all weak Like, hey man, I'm gonna really be paying attention. I'm gonna be really really eager to see how the non conference schedule shapes up, because it's more important now than it's been before, because you can't just rely on a really tough conference schedule to play itself out to where you just you know, you got you know, you get the benefit of the doubt because you're playing a great league. Well that's clearly not where Louisville and the ACC are right now, and we learn that the hard way on Selection Sunday a couple months ago. But now here we are. Each day that's passed, there's more, there's more development, and the non conference schedule gets me excited. And the reason I wanted to give Pat Kelsey credit is because I mean he has to know that, like he's really playing into the fans like he's I mean, maybe he just in his mind simply thought, you know, Memphis, Yeah, let's let's lock that up long term. Let's get a multi year I mean we're I mean that's it was like a six or seven year series they announced yesterday between Memphis and Louisville. I mean, Memphis is in like the biggest Marque opponent. But man, there's history their arrival and even in years when you know they're not good, even which could happen, it's not like we're playing teams you've never heard of and it's a rivalry like that'll like Memphis on the schedule in basketball is going to just generate interest that wouldn't be there even if there's a even if there's an opponent that's better, Like Memphis and Louisville are historically rivals. We all know that, and then we find out today that another rival that we haven't played in a long time is going to be on the schedule. So John Rosstein is the first that I saw report this, and then obviously Eric Crawford of WDRB, he as connected as anybody with U of L, and he put out a column over at WDRB kind of laying out this six year series. Yeah, so it was a six year series with Memphis that was announced yesterday, and then now Louisville is set to soon announce a two year series with Cincinnati. But they're going to be played in neutral site locations, which is not really what it is, like it's not really neutral site. It's playing in your city, but not where you currently play. So I guess it's the nostalgic part, like this is a the Cincinnati two year series where Louisville will play them in Freedom Hall if you haven't heard that, Yes, Louisville is expected to play Cincinnati in Freedom Hall, which that'll be in twenty sixteen. But this year, this upcoming season, Louisville and Cincinnati will play and it'll be in Cincinnati, but it's going to be in the Heritage Bank Center in downtown Cincy. So I could be wrong, but I don't think that's where Cincinnati currently plays their home games. But either way, Louisville playing a game in Freedom Hall is wild, and I want to save that for later because I know there's some that have some strong thoughts about that. I'm a little surprised to see really anybody belly aching about that, because I mean, what's the harm here. All I've heard is that why would we do that? We already had the perfect send off for Freedom Hall, And you're right, but that was I mean, that was fifteen years ago. I think there'd be some nostalgia to have a game at Freedom Hall. And like if Louisville loses, which could happen, of course, it's not going to make me think, Okay, well, our Kyle Kurrich coming off the bench, unheard of walk on basically closing that place down by himself, Like that memory's not going to be changed for me, Like I'm not, like, you know, it'd be different if we did this three four years after that. We hadn't played in Freedom Hall in a long time. So Pat Kelsey, this is my thought driving in today because I'm excited, man, not only are we gonna you know, are we heading into a season where there's real expectations for Louisville basketball where just about everywhere you look, they're viewed as a preseason top ten caliber team, which who knows, maybe they don't get there because you never know, right, I mean, preseason expectations oftentimes are not met or maybe sometimes you exceed those expectations, which I think Louisville did this past year, so you you never know. But knowing that, like objectively, those that you know are in the college basketball world, they believe Louisville will be good. Like that's exciting. And now We've got some opponents on the schedule coming up that I'm excited to play. And I you know, maybe I'm giving a little too much credit to Pat Kelsey, but maybe it's him, Maybe it's multiple people, as I mentioned a moment ago, whoever's responsible for this? Like y'all are playing the hits, y'all are hitting us in the good fields because Indiana, Memphis since it Ady, Kentucky, like these are teams that not all are big rivals, but there's clearly some familiarity and like I bet there's people listening right now that would say, you know, you know, Indiana is not a huge rival because you know, they just aren't. But yet there's history, they're we're close, and in fact, you may they may be rivals in this aspect. They're both considered to be blue blue blood borderline type programs like we are at least in the fraternity with them, or were not in the top twelve all time, top eight whatever you however, you want to look at it, so you know, even if they're even if they weren't a state north of us, maybe they were, you know, on the other side of the country, there's still you know, you're playing a program that has somewhat of a similar resume that you have, and that's that's that's where you want to be. So part of it is to do with the ACC just being where it is, and you need to now go out and make sure in your non conference games you're not just doing nothing but scheduling cup cakes. Because you used to be able to do that and it would all play itself out. Well. Now clearly that's not the case. So the momentum and the positive vibes for Louisville basketball this offseason have been phenomenal. And again disclaimer, I know that none of this will really be remembered or even matter if this team doesn't actually put good results on the floor and when, and we know that they know that too, meaning Pat Kelsey and everybody involved. But it's just nice to have it again because again, like even last year, we were happy, we were very, very excited about Pat Kelcey with the roster he put together. He really made quite the impression when we first got to hear from him when he got introduced as the new head coach. But now he's got a season under his belt where he's shown proof of concept, he's shown that he's a good coach. Clearly, he has shown that he can really you know, connect to guys and have them playing hard to wear what you see on the floor, it seems as if those guys are a real reflection of him. And also I think right now as it stands, just kind of we've talked about this, you know, with the schedule and everything. Like, I think he also has shown an ability to understand like the history of the program and know that like, hey, you know, he could be like, let's say there's three teams he could potentially play. Memphis, I can't even really think of it. Memphis is a rare program because they do have some history and they've been pretty good, but like they've just they've been. Memphis is the one program. I believe this by all. I think Memphis is the one program that there was so much of musical chairs going on, so much with realignment. Memphis is the one that just completely just got left behind, like they never moved anywhere, Like they never were attractive enough for any league to want them, which kind of sucks for them. So They're not a program that I can just spitball specific programs that I think are in that same tier. But I don't know. I just maybe this is what I'm choosing to believe. But like I think he picks Memphis or you know, maybe even the Indiana series and maybe even the Cincinnati thing because he knows that like that would mean to us than maybe a similar opponent we don't that we don't have the history with. Now there's also the other aspect of this. He's from Cincinnati, right, Like, I'm sure he wants like, here's what's crazy. He hates Cincinnati more than any of us ever will, which I grew up, you know, watching Bob Huggins teams in Conference Usay, Kenyon Martin, Steve Logan. I remember those teams Damar Johnson like Cincinnati. They were bad dudes, And I remember there were some times where we weren't as good as them, but we beat them in a regular season game or whatnot, and I remember knowing it was a big deal because they were the cream of the crop at the time in Conference USSA. And I remember listening to Bob Huggins all. You know, there's a lot that can be said about Bob Huggins, but I remember as a kid listening to him just rave about Denny Crume about how great of a coach he was, and you know, what are you gonna do? It's Denny. He did credit to Denny, and I remember thinking like, well, yeah, that's our coach. So I'm just I don't know, just we came back alive. This past season was just winning and feeling good about things and being excited, guys playing hard, representing the program in the right way, and all that stuff sounds corny and I get it, but like it brought us back to life. And now the way this schedule's setting up, like it's taken me back in time. And again I don't know who specifically deserves all the credit for that, but it's certainly been It's been fun thus far. So right now again here are non conference opponents that I shouldn't say we know by the way, I guess technically the Cincinnati stuff isn't even official, but clearly I think it's in the works to be official, because I don't think it is put out there by Rosstein and of course Eric Crawford if it's not something that's really gonna happen. But right now Louisville has in the non conference schedule Kentucky, Indiana, Cincinnati, Tennessee, Memphis, and Calip Perry in Arkansas. If what Rick Bositch put out there ends up being true, which I could totally see that your acc SEC game is Arkansas and you travel down to Fayetteville. I mean that's that's six opponents to where one. For the most part, you should be able to get value if you beat them easier said than done as far as you know, knocking off all these teams. But there's a clear like there's an element to each of these games that makes it more than just any other opponent. And it also makes it more than just any opponent. That is, you know, in a Power five type situation, Kentucky's your biggest rival, and nobody deserves credit for that game being on the schedule. That's always going to be on the schedule. But the Indiana series, I mean, I'm glad we're doing that. There's clearly some some history there. And again we're talking about, you know, basically one of your one of your brethren, right, I mean, I don't know. I mean Indiana and Louivell to me, are are technically in the same realm when it comes to just kind of not knowing exactly where. Like nobody would claim that those programs aren't up there as far as the most successful all time in college basketball, with the best history, all that kind of stuff, but really really where they end up it kind of depends on the eye of of the person putting that together. Because you could make a case for Louisville to be a top six or seven program if you wanted you could maybe claim that maybe they're more so close to top ten Indiana, same exact thing. Cincinnati clearly one of our rivals. Tennessee, I don't really know if there's any connection, but they're clearly a really good opponent to have on your schedule. And I don't know, maybe there are some Louisville fans in Knoxville, vice versa. And then Memphis clearly a arrival that, you know. I hope it gets back to being super competitive, even contentious. No, I don't mean like in a nasty way, but right having opponents that you know, when you beat him, it's not just like beating anybody else. That's what makes this stuff fun. And then with Cali Perry, the only connection is him, right, I mean he used to be I mean, we couldn't beat him much at all when he was here in Lexington, you know, in the rivalry when that's here, That's what I mean. But maybe we can get our maybe we can get you know, get a little bit of redemption if we can beat him at Arkansas. I would have much rather beat him when he was at Kentucky, but you know that didn't work out. So again, good stuff when it comes to U of L hoops and that hasn't me excited. And Austin, I look forward to you and I kind of like going through this together because I would be willing to bet that, like you don't have any memory of the Cincinnati or I'm sorry, the Memphis Louisville rivalry, right, yeah, not too much now and the Cincinnati you you probably are just a little too young to remember the Conference USA Bob Huggins days right.
Speaker 4: Right right, maybe like the tail end of that, like in two thousand and five ish, yep, and then ever ever since then, they've just always kind of been a part of Lousville's big eiet schedule.
Speaker 2: Yep. And can I remember. And I'm gonna give you a hot take real quick here that I don't know if it's really a hot take, but I've not heard anybody else say it. But I've always believed this Mick Cronin killed the Cincinnati Louisville rivalry, Oh did he? Because he was an assistant for Rick at Louisville and then he went to Murray State, had success, got the Cincinnati job, took over for Andy Kennedy, who got it when Bob Huggins was let go, and Andy Kennedy didn't have it very long, and actually I think would have been a better Andy Kennedy would had he never you know, gotten drunk and punched a cab driver literally what happened. I think he would have fit really well. And since he had done well there, he's a good coach in my opinion. But nonetheless, Mick got the job and it was playful because he was he was Patino's little protege, right, we didn't really fear him, and then they sucked for a long time to where we didn't eat so like you know, it kind of faded away then and then once the Big East went, you know, once the Big East died, and then we were in the American at that time, Mick did have good teams. Mick's resume as a coach, in my opinion, is specifically built on him winning a bunch of games when the Big East dissolved and he started playing in the American Conference against Tulane East Carolina in those kind of teams. That's why I was so adamant about, like anybody claiming this dude is worthy of being our coach. Like now, and you know when he says what I got to worry about I got, I got, I got five hutter wounds. Remember when he said that. I mean, like, yeah, you got most of those at Murray State. And it's Cincinnati when the Big East died and you stuck, you hung out there for a long time and then you bailed before Cincinnati made the move to the Big twelve. So anyways, I look forward to you know, you'll, you'll, you'll be able. I think to uh to kind of feed off my energy because even though Memphis, you know what Cincinnati rivalry. I totally remember Memphis, I knew of it. I didn't experience it at it's at its peak. But we'll get through it together and it'll be.
Speaker 4: Fun, a fun like kind of re exercise of what we did a few months ago. Like a first first player that comes to mind when you hell yea Cincinnati like yours seems to be like the Kenya Martin.
Speaker 2: Mine is the mind Steve Logan, which is right before it came to Steve Logan. Okay, my mine's land Stevenson. Okay. That and that makes total sense, makes total sense. I mean that speaks to me. That's I mean, I now know your your age range, totally totally get it who's the first player that comes from anything of Memphis. Probably don't even even Louisville. Isn't even a Louisville connection, right, Uh?
Speaker 4: The who's now I know of this moment, the favor is it Darius Washington Junior, the guy that missed the free throat?
Speaker 2: That's right, yep? Him and Derrick Rose maybe yeah, No, that makes total sense because in those in those are Col days, which of course that's the and I don't damn right it was. I don't remember in this I think for those that are older than me, this will put it in perspective as fart as far as like mine, Like I grew up knowing Memphis was a rival. I didn't. I didn't experience the era that made them the real hated rival. However, my only knowledge, my only memory of watching Memphis play basketball in any way against Louisville was whenever col was there, and I knew he went there after he left U Mass and whatnot. But you know, that kind of puts my because again, as soon as you said Land Stephenson totally checks out, because that would have made sense as far as the age difference between between the two of us.
Speaker 4: So well, Memphis used to be Memphis State, right, yeah, oh yeah, that was Conference USA, correct, Yes, okay.
Speaker 2: And I so I never knew them as Memphis State. And for those who weren't with us in the five o'clock hour yesterday, I shared this story when this news broke I one of the first books that I read and that I like checked out at the library at school was a book about Pitty Hardaway. It was like his his his bio or something. I don't know if it was his bio, but I think it was a book about Petty Hardaway that at times that it was kind of catered for children, because you know, he was really popular. He had a little penny, the little like action figure kind of thing. And I remember seeing in the book that he was from Memphis State, and I was like, well, I guess I can't like him anymore. And I still liked him, but you know, that's kind of what like, you know, that was the fuel for for me really that that was the moment where I realized, hey, despite not experiencing it when it was really at its at its peak, I still know that Memphis State's the rival. And if you call a Memphis State, they don't like it, So that's what we're gonna call it. Oh really, Oh yeah, they hate that all. They hate the Memphis State part. Yeah, because like Memphis. I mean, like, first of all, Memphis is not a state. Right. Also, like they they ditched the state to become more of like a I guess, you know, feeling like they were officially you know, I don't really know if anything changed with the school, but they you know, over time they were like, yeah, we should just call ourselves Memphis not Memphis State. So gotcha. Anyways, frauds exactly. Some other things we're going to certainly get into today. The college football playoff changes that are certainly coming. It sounds like we now have a good idea of what they're going to do, and it is a lot of what we've talked about here and there in the last couple of weeks. And I mean I expected it, but I still just think it's crazy to give certain guaranteed spots to a conference when you when no games have been played. I mean, like there's no incentive for like to even like compete as as like you can now put your feet up a little bit if you're in the Big ten or the ACC or the SEC because you got four guaranteed spots no matter what to go along. Like as much as the SEC has been hammering that they belong, they belong, you know they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Well, there's four for the Big ten, four for the SCC, two for the Big twelve, two for the ACC, I believe, one for the G five non like, one for Notre Dame, and then one for the G five folks, and then there'll be three at large. This is what it sounds like, and I'll pull it up later and make sure I've got that right. But like all the at largers are going to go to more Big ten and SEC teams. That's what it's gonna come down to. So I mean, again, I'm not in any way advocating that like those aren't the best two conferences, especially the SEC, but why they don't even need to actually have a good season to get in because their conference affiliation will make it to where they could be eight and four, And we know you can be eight and four, and it can be you can be you can have two teams that are eight and four and they can be on different worlds as far as like legitimately how good they are but you know which one's gonna get the benefit of the doubt. For example, last year South Carolina they had no loss to a bad team, They didn't beat anybody we're talking about. They would be in the playoff in the extended format, and there's no way that anybody could claim that they have a result that would that would that would validate their entry other than just well, you know they play in the SEC. Man, it's SEC. And again, I feel like anytime I say that, people are like, oh that I'm acting like the SEC is not great? But what if it's not? One day? Like what if what if it's not? Like if you're in the SEC, you can now like reduce nil, Like we don't actually need to be that good because we can be all right, and because of our conference, we're gonna get the playoff. I mean, I don't think anybody would would do that because that's stupid, but like that's that's that's we're at least leaving the door open for that. And I don't know how anybody has not not like this is to me, why even play games if there's guaranteed spots per conference before any games or played, Like it's just it's a popularity contest, that's what it is.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: You gotta win when you get there. That's not based off popularity. But getting there is a hard thing to do for a lot of people, but not if you're in the SEC or the Big ten moving forward. If that's what ends up happening, which it sounds like it's going to be, I mean, it's just it's gross. Also, there's more Bill Belichick drama. Yeah, the Pablo Torre. I mean, I believe everything he said, by the way, but Carolina coming out having to kind of debunk it and say, you know, she's welcome. She's not an employee, but she's always welcome here. Jordan Hudson, Carolina's got to read the room. Even if that was even if they're just putting out a statement to correct the misinformation, you've lost the ability to have any control over the perception of the old geezer running your program with a woman young enough to be his granddaughter. Anybody that's like, oh, yeah, I saw Carolina's statement, nothing to see here, You're out of your mind. Belichick's family is now at least speaking up like some body helped this guy, and Carolina is like, oh, as you know, they're acting like, oh, what's the big deal? Totally you know, totally just different. Everybody it again, this is what I said, I think two weeks ago, and this became a developing, brewing situation. How are you gonna blame the media? You're Bill Belichick with enough Super Bowl rings to fit on more than you know one hand, and you're in your seventies dating a woman who's twenty four, and then you're gonna play like, I don't know why people are making a big deal about it. It'd be one thing if it was known and she wasn't visible. She's in everything. She's injected herself into everything, Like Carolina looks like a bunch of clowns. And it's not because they have Belichick as the coach, but everything, Like, if you're gonna hire Belichick, would you hire him knowing that this was gonna be the way that things play out before he coaches a game? And I know that the Carolina's statement will put a lot of people at ease, like Okay, yeah, they're just they're they're you know, they're they're letting everybody know that it's not that big of a deal. Okay, I'm letting you know right now. If he's not, if he doesn't ever coach a game at Carolina, hand up, I'm not gonna be surprised. Yeah, I'll be shocked if he makes it through the whole season. I mean it again, imagine if they if they if they hit adversity, Oh, it'll be okay because our coaches. You know, he's hooking up with a girl that you know is basically our age, a student's age. Yeah, I mean, like, it's crazy. It's crazy. I mean the Belichick, Jordan Hudson, Carolina, the entire thing. It's still, as of now, something that I have to, for at least a millisecond, think like, wait a second, this is real, isn't it? Like I didn't dream this, because it's it's it's insane.
Speaker 4: It's amazing that she's almost like a household name in sports now for literally nothing other than sleeping with Bill Belichick yep, and controlling him like like the Wizard of Oz. Like she's she's she's the person behind the curtain.
Speaker 2: And she could lay low and be not anonymous, But she could lay low and be completely away from all this and still get everything that you would think that she wants. However, what she wants is this the attention, the notoriety, and even if she's in a bad light, like, she's gonna be remembered. I mean, like put this way until the day she's no longer with us. You google her name, especially with the unique spelling of Jordan, she's gonna be known as the young brod that you know snatched up the sea Nile. Bill Belichick, who you know has is funded again, I'm saying things that you're gonna think are just like hyperbole, like just throwing stone. No, who's now funding her mother's sex toy shop. Yeah, and she now has acquired millions upon millions of real estate in the Northeast. All happened. All that happening right around the time that they were you know, they became an item. And let me, let's be real, when it became public that they were dating. I wonder who you think wanted that out there. You think Bill was like call let's call a PR company. Let's make sure we get it out there that I'm with this young broad. No, like she wanted it out there because she is milking him for everything. Let's get CBS on the horn, like, honey, I mean, like I'm not sure Bill's even there, Like hard for me to think he's not, because you know, I don't know him. But in seventy three is not that old, Like it's not young, but like it's not. I mean, I guess you can be. You know, you can be in that age and have some issues with like you know, memory, and you know, I don't want to I mean, I'm not. I don't even want to use specific diagnosis that you can get it at that age or even younger, because I don't. That'd be reckless of me to do, because I have no reason to believe that he's not in his right mind. But all the actions make you think that, like what's this guy doing? Like what is he getting from this? I mean other than being embarrassed?
Speaker 4: Donald Trump is almost eighty, he's seventy eight years old, but he seems like he has more there a little bit, oh totally.
Speaker 2: And I'm not you know, I'm not here to just gas up Trump, but no, you're right, like absolutely, Like I mean, it's almost one of those things like a Belichick talked more, maybe we would realize, Okay, this guy needs help, right, but like he doesn't talk unless she's right next to him. And she made that clear on CBS, made it really clear. So all right, let's get to a break way too long here in the first segment, but that's okay. It happens sometimes. Stick with us. It's coffee and Company. We're fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I know this time of year, it's tough to know exactly what we're gonna get from mother nature, but I feel I feel pretty pretty confident in saying there's nothing that's happened in the last couple days that would require anybody to turn the heat on in this studio, which runs hot anyways, because we have our own personal heater, all the equipment that is right in front of me, this humongous board with a bunch of lights and whatever else, and all these servers in here, and I'm thinking, man, it's it's not only like not cool, but like it's kind of hot. And then I go over to the door right before we get back from break, and the heat is on, and a lot of people blame well, you know, it's just Audo. It's just it's programmed. It's controlled elsewhere, but I'm having to keep the door open because I don't know why the heat was on, but it's it's hot in here. So there's people out near our kitchen area here. They may not even have signed up for the Coffee and Company experience today, but they're gonna have to get it like it or not, because you know, I gotta breathe. You were in here earlier, Austin. It's hot as hell, is it not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very unusually hot. And I know, I, like you said, I know, usually there's that factor. There's so many like different computers and modems in there. But I've never like it usually don't feel that till like it's hot in the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well sometimes, I mean you mentioned unusual. It's unusual because somebody unusually decided to turn the heat on when it's you know, warm outside. But whenever I would come in in the summer, and you did a good job, and I appreciate you trying to help me, because like if you popped in here at one o'clock and you realized it was eighty five degrees, then I would know, Okay, I'm gonna not come into the show. Today or I'm gonna, you know, make sure somebody fixes that. Yeah, that's right, but like anybody like that wouldn't because the heat's on. That's because somebody just didn't turn the air on. Well now we like you know, anyways, long story short, I I'm uncomfortable because I'm hot, and I can't I can't remove layers because you know that would be that'd be an HR violation. That's true. But you know what's here, I'm gonna leave this door open for the segment in hopes that now that I've got the air on that maybe we can cool off. But anyways, it's coffee and company here on Sports Talk seven ninety a Friday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us as we get your step for the weekend, get your step from Mother's Day too, So hopefully you guys have some plans for for celebrating Mother's Day. Rather it be the moms out there or the fellas that want to have a special day for and you know, for a lot of folks, myself included, it's it's it's it's a big day because you know, I've got the mother of my children, who of course is my wife I've got my mother, I've got my mother in law, my stepmother, I've got my grandmother. So I mean, like even like my sister is not my mom, but like I always try to, you know, help she, you know, wish her a happy Mother's Day too, in whatever way I can. So shout out to all the moms. Hopefully you all have a great weekend and are appreciated. All right, let's go to the phone lines. If I go to if I've seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to jump in and give us a call. Let's go to Larry. Larry, how are we doing? Welcome to Sports Talk seventy ninety what's up?
Speaker 5: All doing fine? I just wanted to comment on your real discussion about Memphis versus Memphis State. Yeah, and it was it was Memphis State University up at nineteen ninety six. Okay, I'm from I'm from West Tennessee and I grew up listened to the Memphis State Tigers on the radio. I grew up understanding their rivalry were Louisville and this type of thing. But I just thought you might find this it's funny. I'm a University of Tennessee, gret got seventy three, and our pet name for Memphis State or University of Memphis, which I wanting to call it is Tiger High School.
Speaker 2: Okay, is that just because like there you just see them as so, you know, junior varsity type of level compared to like the big leagues kind of thing. I get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, are they.
Speaker 2: Rivals because honestly, it makes sense that there's somewhat of a rivalry there. But like other than when they played. I remember when Bruce Pearl was at Tennessee and cow was still at Memphis. They played in the regular season and it was a big big deal because I think there were number one and number two. But outside of that, I don't really know of a lot of meetings between the two.
Speaker 5: Well as far as basketball, not really the football. Uh, you know, I pay more attention to the football. Sure, the basketball, but in football it is a fairly intense rivalry in football. We played them more often in football than do basketball. But even at that, we don't play them that often, but we have played them more often in football, and uh, there has been games where it has been some pretty bad blood to quin the two university.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I just wanted wanted to bring that up with you. I thought you might find it shitty about our pet.
Speaker 2: Name for him, so say it again, Tiger High School, Tiger High School. I'll keep that in the back pocket. But when we play them. Thank you, Larry. I appreciate the call, appreciate you listening. Yeah, you know, I was just thinking about how, you know, Memphis, of course is uh one of the biggest cities in which which I was going to say, it's the biggest city in Tennessee, but obviously Nashville, but like Nashville has exploded in the last really twenty twenty five years, I mean Nashville. I feel like maybe this is just me as a kid, not knowing anything, and just you know, assuming that Nashville and Louisville were relatively similar as far as markets and cities. I know that's not the case now, but I feel like it used to be. But I could be wrong. Maybe that's just how I remember it. But Memphis and Tennessee, if you think about it, you know, there's no Nashville you know, university, so there could have been some similarities between the Louisville Kentucky rivalry and the Memphis and Tennessee rivalry, but Tennessee historically has just been I mean, they're a football, you know, powerhouse historically, and I don't mean that they're, you know, the best of all time, but clearly they've had they've had phenomenal seasons, They've had a great I mean, they have great history, great tradition. They're not you know, they're not. I mean, they're they're on a different planet than than than than Memphis is in football and in basketball. I mean, Tennessee they've never i mean, they've never been to a Final Four, which they've got to be. And I know every year around March Madness, you see this list that gets that gets thrown out there about the most successful programs in college basketball that have never made a Final Four, and they're always usually toward the top, And I kind of feel like they've got to be at the top of that now. But then again, I'm basing that off of mostly the Rick Barnes era, because they had a good run there with Bruce Pearl. But prior to that, I don't really remember Tennessee basketball doing a whole lot. Like when I think of Tennessee basketball when I was young, I think of Alan Houston, and that just makes me sad because he should have been at Louisville. But obviously, you know, his dad got the job at Tennessee and makes total sense how that worked out. But maybe Louisville was able to. I mean again, sometimes things align and at the time you never know that that it's going to be something that is impactful to an extent that you have a rivalry that is you know, believe the way, Kentucky didn't want to play Louisville and then they had to play in the tournament and then the dream game, you know, and that of course was the dream game, and then they became you know, then they were on the schedule because obviously Kentucky, he has always viewed Louisville as the probably in a way that that Tennessee has viewed Memphis. But then you know, little brother, he hit the weight room and did some did some things and won national championships, and then that led to Kentucky, you know, meeting us in the tournament, and then of course from then on they've been a regular opponent and it's one of the best, if not in my opinion, it's the best rivalry in college basketball and then in football. Honestly, like they did always look at us as you know, beneath them in football. And they had a good reason too, obviously, because you know the when this series was played, you know, when they wore leather straps on their head. I wouldn't call those helmets, which, by the way, I do love when Kentucky fans bring up that as well, the all Tom history. Okay, yeah, let's let's let's let's not let's just completely ignore the like sixty year gap in society. But nonetheless, they were so bad in football, meaning Kentucky that like Louisville could realistically get their shot at him and you know, clearly hold their own Louisville still despite losing what was five in orro h? Is that true? Amy saying that out loud Austin, We lose five in Erroe to Kentucky. Yes, so we lost. We didn't play them one year, but like we los, I mean we lost in eighteen nineteen, didn't play in twenty lost in twenty one, twenty two, twenty three. Yes, we lost five in a row, and then we beat him this past year. Why am I spacing? Was that a COVID thing that we didn't. Yeah, yeah, they yeah, and well and not that it matters now, but they were fighting to not have the game played as well. They were in support of the conference not having any game other than SEC games, whereas South Carolina and one other school in the conference was fighting because they wanted to play their rival. South Carolina wanted to play Clemson. I believe Florida wanted to play Florida State and Kentucky, you know, they wanted to advocate let's just only play which again, like I don't think Kentucky was scared, but like I don't know why you wouldn't, you know, with that being really the one Like if Stoops didn't have the wins against louis he wouldn't be their coach right now, facts, right, facts. So yeah, So anyways, you know, it worked out well for Louisville because in basketball, we proved, like you know, not only do you are you know clearly historically you're you're above us with all the titles, but like you know, we got a championship under our belt. We're in the midst of being the team of the eighties, Like you're gonna meet us at one point, and then we did. We met him in the NAA tournament, and then from then on they had to play. And it's the legendary sound of Denny. What do he say, We said he wouldn't play, Well, that's typical, like Denny's line of like, yeah, it's typical jobey Hall didn't want to play him. And then again, you know they have ever since and it's been great. And then in football, I don't even really know how the game came about. Schnellen Murger I know was a big part of that because of his history with both sides of it. But like Memphis was unable to really have a rivalry with their state school and we were, and it was you know, and I'm glad we did because rivalries make sports great. But again basketball, we did enough to where like you can you can still live in your world that you're you're way above us. But you know, last I check, we want a title before you and we're going to see in the tournament, which we did, and then from then on, you know, clearly we know what's happened. And then in football, you know, certain things aligned where we had to start playing them. And then for you know, again in the modern era, Louisville lost five in a row and still has the edge in series, which I think is pretty telling. Our quick break will come back on the other side. Wrap at the three o'clock hour. It's coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I know this is this has been the case at least two years ago. It was, and I would be shocked if it has changed since then. But the busiest day for restaurants, out of the three hundred and sixty five days that we have in a year, the toughest day to get a table, to get lunch, even dinner is this Sunday, which of course is Mother's Day. And I don't think anybody would expect Mother's Day to be like a light day for restaurants. But there's a lot of other holidays that you don't typically go to eat somewhere you like moms, you aren't going. Maybe you are. If so, then that's awesome, maybe that's what they love to do. But you know, you would think a lot of people would be like, hey, mom, you don't need a cook today for us to have a family, get together. We're gonna get together, and it's Mother's Day. It's for you, So let's let's either have somebody else cook or we go somewhere out to eat. But like I would have if you'd ask me what day in the year would would be the busiest day for restaurants, I mean, maybe I would have got there at some point, but I don't think I would have. But it makes total sense because like Father's Day, I mean, no one cares about us dads. Well I'm not a dad. Yeah, I mean it's it's not as big of a day as Mother's Day, seemingly. And also, you know, I just think there's different ways to I mean, again, I hate to sound like all women do is cook, and I know itrobably sounds terrible just the way I put it out there a moment ago. But like I'm just saying, like a lot of a lot of other holidays where you make sure you make it a point I need to go see family. I need to spend some time with family, because that's what you do for certain holidays, you know, like when I go to Thanksgiving with my family, if I go to Christmas, Easter, or whatever it may be, Like wherever I'm going either Mama or Grandma's cooking like that's cause that's just you know where That's not to say that's all they do, but you know, it's just been that way for a long time. And I'd rather eat their cooking than go out to eat. But you know, on Mother's Day, you don't want them doing anything that's considered work. You want to take care of them. So I bring all this up to say, expect some real, you know, delays in getting a table if you're trying to you know, I mean, I would say expect a wait anywhere you go anywhere on Sunday outside of like maybe I mean maybe you take your mama to McDonald's or Taco Bell and sit down and eat. And that's you know, there's not there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying, like, you know, I think it was the first, uh one of the first this you know, the COVID pandemic era is such a blur to where I feel like I was about to say that this was this is one of those things from COVID, but like, I don't think it is the case because at some point it might have been like the first time, like restaurants were hit really hard being fully open, so it might have been how long will we lock down? Like this is where I'm not even kidding, like it is. It is such a blur to me, that whole thing. So like in March of twenty twenties, when it all whenever, you know, everything was, you know what it was. Yeah, I think so by May of twenty twenty one, like restaurants were full go right, or maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: I think it was June of that next year where everything was fully blown and open without like.
Speaker 2: Cause do you remember that June may lead up to where like oh yeah, you were we kind of all, you know, in a way gotten back to what normal, but like we knew that that date coming up. You're right it was, it was. I think it might have been early June where it was like at this point like basically everything is what it was before this happened, right.
Speaker 4: Well, because places were like open, but they were closing at like seven o'clock and bars weren't open past like eleven and stuff like that. So everything got back to fully functioning that June. But I think it was probably man, it felt like over a year, but I think it was maybe later on that year, maybe like the start of January or February of No, it.
Speaker 2: Was around Thanksgiving, around things more or they shut us back down. There was a there. I remember, Oh, there was a surge. I was at the gym, and at the gym on TV. It was on I mean, it was a lot. I think it was Basher doing a press conference kind of announcing that they're going to have to go. It wasn't long, but they went back to like limiting the amount of people that could be in restaurants. And I think at that point, there's just the way I see at Austin. I think it felt like they were gonna even anything they tried to do more than that they weren't going to be successful because people weren't going to comply, and even like in any way it would have been like a full on like no, I mean I shouldn't say that because I don't know how anybody else would have acted, but it just you know, they didn't last long, but I remember that. I remember thinking we were on the clear, and then like you know, and then also at that point not to minimize anybody that did have a real tough time with the virus and what it caused lingering or maybe even you know, fatal or whatever. But like the vast majority of society had known or had it themselves and been fine and been like what are we doing? Like I think that was the mindset. Again, I can'd speak for anybody but myself, but I do remember that, and I swear I read something the other day that like made me really sad because I don't remember a lot of my So, my son is four, he'll be five in June. He's a COVID baby. My wife went through her a good chunk of her pregnancy with him during the pandemic. He was born on June first, and I was the only person allowed to be in the hospital babies and he was and he was. I mean there was also the night he was born, or I guess, yeah, the night because the day he was born that morning. Actually he took a while later in the day, but there was a lockdown on the city because of one of the Breonna Taylor protesting things led to officers shooting somebody who owned like a business in the West End, and that led to a lockdown, And I'm thinking, okay, whatever, you know whatever, like that just means like I can't go and be out and you know I can't be bar hopping or something. Well, I left the hospital like thinking, okay, well because of the restrictions, they only fed my wife. They had no there's no cafeteria. There's no food for me. So I'm like, I'm gonna go like hit a gas station and get like some beef jerky or something. I left the hospital on Dutchman's Lane and realized, no, this is a true like McDonald's closed, gas stations, closed nothing. And here I am thinking, like what a story this would be. I get arrested the day my son's born because I violated the uh you know, the lockdown and in the curfew. Yeah, there was a if it's what it was to where like I turned right back around and my wife, God bless her. She she saved me half of the turkey sandwich that the hospital provided her, so at least had something to eat. But it was weird. But but I always do you know, I just assumed, well, it's the second child, like because it wasn't your first. It just wasn't as much like you weren't as much in the moment. But then I read and like it's a real thing. COVID babies, babies born going through like their first two years of life, when when we were in that time, like they won't know any different because they don't remember it. But like as a parent, like it's not normal to have you know, like not normal to bring up I mean, hell of a it's not normal at all for I mean, think about the lead if he was born in June. So for the last four months roughly of her appointments, like only only I could go to the doctor, and then at a time I couldn't even go, she had to go by herself, right and then whenever I mean it was like it was like we got some waiver from like the president for me to be even able to be in the room when she had the baby, and I couldn't be nearer. Like it was it was a mess. But again, ask the COVID whole thing, the whole pandemic era is a blur, and I just assume and it is, but like, man, I don't I don't, like I don't remember my son being a baby, and that's probably mostly just me, but also the fact that like she tells me that all the time too. And then I read this article about like COVID baby start school next year, which is true, Mason starts starts kindergarten next year. It's insane and it's like, damn, well, now I know where time went. Like the first two years of his life was like a blur to me. So anyways, Mother's Day Sunday, and I don't know how we ended up on where we just were. But be prepared for a long wait. Even if you have reservations, like they're probably not gonna have it ready when you walk in because it's just gonna be tough. All right, two hours left, We'll get yourself for the weekend right here. Coffee and Company. Feel about Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety