Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on Tech on KFI. It's KTLA's tech reporter Rich Demiro.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Rich, Hey, good morning to you Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's old is new and the old Pebbles smart watch is gone and a new one's coming out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the interesting thing about these smart watches is that the one of the models is actually using the old hardware. So apparently this is leftover hardware from before. But the guy who created it said, you know what, these things were so good even ten years ago. It's still just what we need. And so his whole thing has been, let's bring back a simple smart watch that has an e ink display. If you remember the original, it was like one of the original kickstarters. It did really well, and now he's bringing them back. So later this year, we're going to have the core To duo launching in July for one hundred and fifty bucks, and then the Core Time two launching for two hundred and twenty five dollars. That's going to be a Pebble but with a touch screen. And of course the main thing about these watches is that they have super long battery life thirty.
Speaker 2: Days and they're going to be less distracting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, My Apple Watch literally is dead by about eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean the Apple watches last. I mean they're rated for eighteen hours, but that's, you know, not very realistic for most people. But yeah, so thirty days you have to charge it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: And does it have a lot of the same features or is it pretty much like does it hook to your phone and you can take phone calls on it? Or I'm not familiar with the pebblewatch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the new one, one of them will so you can get notifications on these. It sort of depends if you're on Android or iPhone, but the whole point is more like just a companion where you can glance at your wrist see your notifications. The higher end one is going to have more modern features. The basic one is going to be pretty simple. But the thing they're doing here is they're open sourcing the software, which means pretty much developers can do whatever they want and make these things do whatever they can imagine, as opposed to the Apple Watch, where you're very much confined and even the Google watches out there, you're confined to what Apple and Google allow you to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Pebble smart watch hitting the market again when later this year.
Speaker 3: Later this year July or December, and yeah, should be interesting.
Speaker 2: And then they'll have some of like the sleep and step tracking stuff on them as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, this sounds I got to go check this out, and you did go check this out. It's a convenience store run by robots.
Speaker 3: Yes, lots of comments about this one on our YouTube page at ktla ven Hub. It's called and it's a fully automated twenty four to seven convenience store run by robots. So there's two robots inside that basically grab your order and place it in a little kind of area for you to collect and so use the app to purchase the products.
Speaker 2: And it's very simple.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like a seven to eleven, but it looks like a shipping container with a clear glass screen in front, so you get our window in front so you can see everything inside. And it's just kind of fun. And they're expecting a lot of these around the not only the nation, but the world. They've got companies said they have eight hundred pre orders. So North Hollywood, you can already go there. It's on Van Owen. If you know where the Salsasm beer is, that's where it is, and then southern California, Las Vegas, the East coast. And the guy who created this for former Amazon guy says that the whole point is that lower overhead, open twenty four to seven, no employees to worry about, and you can run these things from the beach once they're set up and going.
Speaker 1: So from the way you describe it, it sounds as like it's a big vending machine on steroids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the best way to describe it. I think it's a vending machine, except for the stuff coming out by itself.
Speaker 2: A robot arm picks it.
Speaker 3: And then puts it on the table, and then the door opens up and you take it out.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Okay.
Speaker 3: By the way, of course, it's instagrammable, so it's fun for like people to watch this process as well.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Okay. You say that there are some new tools out there that may make note taking by hand up colete forever.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I've been testing a whole bunch of them, and I really rely on a lot of these. This voice to tech stuff and transcription has come a long way, especially since AI because now not only can it transcribe, but it sort of understands what you're saying, so it gets it. The accuracy is a lot better and the speed is a lot better. So if you've got a Google Pixel, you've got an iPhone or a Samsung with the latest software, all of those do free transcription. Pixel does it in real time, the other two do it after the fact. If you don't have one of those phones, otter Ai is a great app which is cross platform. Get a couple of free minutes every month and then it'll transcribe your meetings and all that good stuff. Then I've been testing some AI powered digital recorders from a company called PLoud Plaud, and these things are really cool. Remember the little micro cassette recorders we had while I had as a kid, Remember that like radio shack. So this is like a digital version of that, but it connects to your phone so you can record for hours on end. It will transcribe everything, summariz and then they've got a pin version, so you can literally just clip this to your shirt or wrist and record your whole day and then just have AI summarize every single thing that you heard.
Speaker 1: I mean, which is probably a person like me who has a really bad memory, it might be a good thing.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what they're pitching these as. It's like a limitless memory. So there's a bunch of competitors in this space. It's continuing to grow, and yeah that it's being pitched. Its like, just don't forget a thing like you can just why when you have AI and the ability to record and it's so cheap, just remember everything. Which I'm gonna go to lunch to day with a friend, I'm going to record the whole thing and I'll put it in this notes. I'll be like, all right, remember about this, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's a question. Do you have to tell people they're being recorded?
Speaker 2: That's a very good question.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think obviously if you're on the phone, yes, because these things can record phone calls as well in person, I think that you would have to tell people that you are recording. So that's I think that there's also sort of like common sense and courtesy that comes in here. You know, if you're trying to be nefarious, you know you can do that. But you can already do that, so yeah, okay. Anyway, for computer users, there's a whole bunch of apps that you can do this completely free. If you want to transcribe it's used to cost a lot of money. It's all free. And then I've got a great AI voice typing. This is incredible. It's my secret weapon. It's how I send my emails to you. Actually, Amy, It's called whisper flow and you just dictate and I'm not kidding. It polishes up your words. It is so incredibly fast. I can get through my emails so quick. And by the way, this is all linked up on my website richon Tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you want to see some of these transcription tools, that's what you're talking about on KTLA today.
Speaker 3: Right heading over there, right now, Okay, to go show some of these things, all right, And as.
Speaker 1: You mentioned on his website, rich on Tech dot TV, you can follow Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech, and of course you can hear him every weekend right here on KFI. It's Rich on Tech Saturdays from eleven to two. Thanks you so much, Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 2: Alright, thanks Amy, all Right,