Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What Else is going?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Thank you? What Else time for What's HAPPENINGSI.
Speaker 1: Well, the investigation into Sean ditty Comb's far from over. TMZ reporting that at least one person has been subpoena to testify in front of the grand jury. Others are open to cooperating with federal prosecutors. At least two people plan to cooperate with the ongoing investigation, and we'll be testifying in the common common days. One of these people is a current sex worker who claims they were involved with Diddy back in twenty fourteen. He was denied bail once again yesterday. As we reported to you, he tried to say, listen, I won't have females over at my compound in Miami, and it was like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 4: That's not the problem, And somebody else pointed out, doesn't he have daughters? Yes, so he's got I think he's got four daughters.
Speaker 1: I think he has seven kids or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Israel's military launched a new wave of attacks against hesbolaw targets in Lebanon today after a couple of days of explosions in the Middle East. The attack on southern Lebanon involved airstrikes and artillery, but there are no ground forces that have apparently crossed the border, at least not yet now a lot of these air strikes were taking place while the leader of Hesbolah Nosraala, was actually delivering a televised news conference based as speech to people they're in Lebanon, saying that they vowed retaliation for the explosions from the walkie talkies and the pagers.
Speaker 1: I went to the CBS before I came out here. I had to pick up some stuff and I could not get over how everything is under lock and key. Now, I mean the deodorant was under lock and key.
Speaker 3: And that's in Charlotte.
Speaker 4: No, oh, you mean here? Oh you mean you before you came out exactly? Yeah, I think you went to the studio today.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: More and more stores are taking stricter measures to fight the shoplifting, the smash and grabs and all of that. And in Long Beach or excuse me, and Compton on Long Beach Boulevard that ride Aid has installed locked glass cases on every aisle.
Speaker 4: Can I also point something out about this picture. It's a picture from Channel seven's website of the store itself. Do you notice how many of those ceiling tiles are gone? No, it looks like post earthquake, Like all of those those you know, cardboard or paperboard, whatever you want to call them, the suspended ceiling tiles are gone or knocked out or something like.
Speaker 1: They've got sunflower seeds locked up. They've got many wheats locked up, frosted many wheats. No, nonetheless, And this is when I was there at the right aid, I'm like, why am I even here? I don't want to go through the hassle of having someone come over and unlock the deodorant for me. I'll just order all this stuff on amaz go to the store anymore.
Speaker 3: You'd rather go somewhere else.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why so many of those stores have been closing in places like whether this is Compton or San Francisco or whatever. It completely ruins their bottom line if they're going to have to put new display cases up, et cetera. Lebanon still reeling from the attacks on devices used by Hasbla pagers, one day walkie talkies, the next at least thirty seven, where people were killed some three thousand others injured. Israel's defense minister has said that HESBLA is going to pay an increasing price as Israel tries to return residents to homes near the Lebanon border.
Speaker 3: The campaign continues.
Speaker 4: Kamala Harris Donald Trump said to make appearances meant to fire up their supporters. She will be participating in a live stream tonight with Oprah Winfrey in Michigan. Trump is scheduled to attend an event in d C with prominent Jewish donors before addressing a gathering of the Israeli American Council. Oprah, of course, remembers was at the DNC in August. She's going to be hosting what they say is a two hour Unite for America streaming session with the Vice President. Trump is going to be at a fighting Anti Semitism in America event with Miriam Adelson, the widow of billionaire casino magnate Sheldon Adelson, and then later he goes on to address the National Convention of the Israeli American Council. We're talking about, Yeah, we absolutely know that our phones are listening to us all these social media apps that we give our information to.
Speaker 2: I've got one for you, guys. My wife and I worked at the same company in two separate buildings about half a mile apart. In my department, we were talking about a shi wi, which is a funnel woman can use to stand up and hear any Somehow, within an hour after my conversation with my coworkers, she was getting ads on her phone on Facebook and everything about the shi wi and she never.
Speaker 4: Even heard of a shei wi. You ever heard of a shei wei? Debor that doesn't never? Okay, Well, the other thing is I mean, because you don't have to stand up here, you guys have your sit down place exactly Ladies' room. The New York Times seems to have an outsized opinion of what earthquakes are and how we Californians should respond to them. There is an article that appeared on the front page about how La can make one believe that it is impervious to disaster because it's in the seventies. Every day it's sunny, there's a breeze that whispers through the palm trees until you think about what's going on beneath your feet, which is the movement of the tectonic plates that results in, for example, a four point seven magnitude quake that catches people in the shower. Kevin Holloway Harris, thirty one years old, says, you think you're crazy when it happens. You feel the car rumble, and I think, do I have vertigo? Or did I just wake up wrong? And for a lot of people, they say the recent quakes have amplified the underlying dread of the big one.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, and you.
Speaker 3: Give a big nod to that. Yes, they said that.
Speaker 4: Obviously, it wonders is this the beginning of a big one, or even if the shaking stops, is this the pre shock that we always hear about that we never really see payoff. But they said for much of Los Angeles, the general response after being jostled awake, after floors and shells have vibrated is apathy, because you think about this. The last major quake in La major quake was ninety four. My children have never experienced a major quake to their knowledge. We were in Seattle when that earthquake hit in this squally quake in two thousand and one, but my son doesn't remember it. My wife does because she was trying to protect him at the time because they were to book storytime in a library or something like that. But he hasn't felt a major earthquake. Well, I mean that's just the younger generation. And I don't mean to say kids these days, but kids these days don't know what a major earthquake is and does.
Speaker 6: Hopefully they won't find out, but I'm afraid that's probably not going to be the case. Again, if I knew that an earthquake was going to stop at even a five, let's just say a five, I could learn to, you know, not enjoy it.
Speaker 5: But I wouldn't be.
Speaker 3: So afraid you would accept it.
Speaker 6: I would accept it, right, It's part of being in California.
Speaker 4: Yes, like you said, ear was it last week when I asked you about what you know? If you said you could take anything out of this world, that would be earthquakes?
Speaker 6: Absolutely urd Well, because again I stand by what I said. People are responsible for murders, we have nothing to do with earthquakes, right. So yes, I mean still to this day, I'm still trying to figure out if I want to move somewhere where there is not a single.
Speaker 4: Earthquake, right, Yes, but then you're just trading it for something else.
Speaker 5: Well, that's why I haven't moved yet. Gene, you don't have to bounce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could go to northern Idaho, but then you're going to northern Idaho and you miss out on you know, civilization for one thing exactly.
Speaker 3: But your winter is going to be six months long.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I hate that.
Speaker 4: You'd live among the animals, but you'd only see them five months out of the year.
Speaker 5: There's no good alternative.
Speaker 6: That's why I'm still here, worried about the big one. The big one, not the small earthquakes, not a big one.
Speaker 3: What's your so? Anything over five, anything over.
Speaker 5: Six, I would say anything over a five.
Speaker 4: Five, Okay, five to five is your cutoff. This same guy that I was talking about that The New York Times talked to had a funny line. He said, after an earthquake, this guy will hop onto a group chat with his friends and some of us are like, did you feel it? This is very California I'm reading by the way his quote. We're like, did you feel it? But then someone's like, yeah, but erawon has watermelon on sale, And then we kind of keep going, well, those.
Speaker 6: Are the people that have never experienced a big earthquake, as you were referencing your kids, because once I know people, I was actually in the Bay Area when the ninety four earthquake hit, but my family they were all here.
Speaker 5: They were traumatized.
Speaker 6: I had family members that lived in north I'm not kidding, traumatized.
Speaker 3: It's legit right.
Speaker 5: So the people that are no, no, no, just wait, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was in eighty nine.
Speaker 4: I was in the Bay Area obviously in eighty nine when that big Loma preated quake hit. My wife was there at the time, but she was also here in ninety four for Northridge. We were both up in a Seattle for the Nisqually quake up there.
Speaker 3: So we've had our experiences and it will.
Speaker 4: We thankfully got away with, you know, not much damage, if any in our homes or anything, or lost anybody that we loved. But it will. It will make you question things, yes, I mean it will. The idea that this earth beneath you was solid is just a giant lie.
Speaker 5: I take very fast showers.
Speaker 3: Now you just hose off in the backyard game.
Speaker 5: It might be better lue to doing that.
Speaker 3: That way, you don't have anything falling on your head.
Speaker 4: Well, it's twelve thirty on a Thursday, which means it's time for strange science.
Speaker 2: Straight.
Speaker 1: It's like weird science, but strange all right. So it happens to all of us. We have to be somewhere in the morning. Usually it is work, but we get a little bit of sleep anxiety over waking up, so sometimes we set multiple alarms like eight twenty eight twenty five, eight thirty eight thirty five. And all the experts say that this is awful for you because like when you hit that first snooze and you go back to sleep for five or eight minutes or whatever, you get into a new sleep pattern, so that when the second alarm goes off, you're even more groggy than you were the first time.
Speaker 4: It's going to interrupt that sleep pattern. Yeah. Now, they say that one out of three Americans admit they don't get enough sleep, and the alarm clocks that we the number of alarm clocks we set, can says a lot about that sleep health. Perhaps the extra five to eight minutes, like you said, puts you in this new sleep cycle that to me is hard to believe because I guess I don't I mean, I'm not counting the seconds for me to fall back asleep after I hit the snooze alarm. But five to eight minutes doesn't seem like it's long enough.
Speaker 1: It is, though, I mean, and I've gone through this where I am so tired when I hear that alarm go off and I hit snooze and I am right back to sleep. And I know now that this it rings true for me that if I do hit this snooze and I go back to sleep, I do get into a new sleep cycle, and it is worse the second time around. So they say, just set one alarm. Know that you just set one alarm and do not hit this newze. Just open your eyes, sit up, have a glass of water, and give God your glory glory.
Speaker 4: But there is a weird part about this where when we if you get into a pattern, I suppose what they're saying is you got to break this pattern now and convince yourself that you've broken the pattern. If you have a pattern, if you've done this for years where you've got multiple alarms and you sleep through that first one or you don't fully wake up to turn it off. I mean, I think we've all had that experience right with it, where it goes off and you don't remember turning it off.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh, that's.
Speaker 4: I mean when I would get up for the morning show, when I would do the morning show here and I'd get up early three point thirty, like first alarm three thirty, maybe a second alarm set on my phone or something like that. For three forty there were many times when that first alarm either didn't go off or I don't remember turning it off, And that is never a good I mean, that's almost worse, it seems for your body to wake up and then have that immediate jolt of adrenaline that you've completely overslept.
Speaker 1: I remember the sheer horror that I would feel when I worked mornings going back to Sacramento, and the sheer horror of what would happen if I didn't set the alarm or I overslept or what have you. Because this was back when it wasn't a cell phone situation. Right, you're alarmed. This is you know, the year two thousand and two, and so you'd set an actual clock, and if that didn't work, if it malfunctions, something like the horror that I would feel going to sleep so much so that I would never really sleep eight hours. I'd wake up several times and look at the clock. Is it time? Is it time? Is it time? And a couple things about that, like what a nice, conscientious young woman I was, you know, thinking that I had a plane to fly or an operation to do by getting to the radio station on time. But like, you know, I don't know if you have that anymore with kids that are twenty two years old, like thinking it's life or death if I don't make it to work on time.
Speaker 4: Well that's interesting because the last time I felt that, I didn't feel like I was going to lose my job. I mean, it was one of those things where I wasn't the only person in the building, which was helpful, you know, because producer Michelle could call me and be like where the hell are you, which also a very.
Speaker 3: Adrenaline inducing phone call.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the worst I felt like the absolute terrified feeling of I'm late for the shift.
Speaker 3: I'm the only one there.
Speaker 4: Had to be right after college when I was the only guy who would show up on a Saturday morning to run the real real tapes, to run the oldies you know show or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: So if you didn't show up, it would be dead Air.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well it wasn't necessarily dead air, but it was the wrong program, which the boss always seemed to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so that was.
Speaker 4: There was one time where I slept all the way through my alarms and I didn't get up until I think I had to be at the station at six, and I didn't get up until like seven fifteen or seven thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, what were you doing the night before?
Speaker 3: I was having fun because I was twenty two.
Speaker 1: Well, I clearly was more conscientious than you.
Speaker 3: But everybody has. Everybody has that moment. I think.
Speaker 4: They also say, listen, if you there may be an underlying sleep disorder that you have, that that is the reason you find it so difficult to pull yourself out of bed in the morning, and that you might see a sleep specialist. They also say, you know you, if you have a stressful day the day before, simply staying up late to kind of blow off steam may not be the best answer, may not be the best way to do it.
Speaker 1: Go to bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In in eight hours, while we were hiking in the Smoky Mountains National Park on my vacation, we'd ran across a couple of millipedes. I'm assuming they're millipedes, because that's what they looked like. I love a millipede. Oh they were, they were all over them. They're hairy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a new species of giant millipedes that they found on Madagascar. It has well it's not it's not new, but it hasn't been seen in one hundred and twenty six years.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 4: This very remote section of the largest forest on the island of Madagascar is called Makira, and they found a bunch of species that have been identified. The different specialized team members were searching for all kinds of mammals and fish and birds and reptiles and invertebrates, and they said they've not had a documented sighting of this kind of millipede in at least a decade or more.
Speaker 1: I want to correct myself. Millipedes terrify me with all those freaking little legs. The caterpillars that I like, the millipedes are terrifying. They look prehistoric.
Speaker 4: When we continue with strange science, We've got an incredible story about van Go What got it?
Speaker 1: Got it? We're going to have a baby moon this autumn. What's super excited. Well, it's called a mini moon, but I like to refer to it as a baby moon. The Earth's gravitational pull will cause a trapped asteroid to orbit around the planet for about two months, So we'll have the normal moon and then we'll have a mini moon. It's going to spend time with Earth from the twenty ninth of September until November twenty fifth. Oh, it'll be here for Chiefs Week. Interesting. Then it'll return to its home, an asteroid belt revolving around the Sun. They said. The object that's going to pay us a visit belongs to the Arhuna asteroid belt, a secondary asteroid belt made of space rocks that follow orbits very similar to that of Earth.
Speaker 4: Now's your opportunity to tell me whether or not there will be asteroid belts in space wars.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's going to be so many belts. It's going to be insane, that's I thought.
Speaker 4: Hey, speaking of the Starry Night, you know the van Go painting Starry Night there swirly of course, the blues and the yellows, just iconic piece of art from the centuries.
Speaker 1: I've seen it at the Van Go Museum and Patty.
Speaker 4: All right, nobody asked there is a there is an analysis of the painting Starry Night says it's the second most famous painting ever made, behind the Mona Lisa.
Speaker 1: I've seen the Mona Lisa again again.
Speaker 3: Nobody asked.
Speaker 4: It's very small, and so is my concern for you going to the loof. But they said that what's amazing about Starry Night by Van Go is it's scientifically accurate.
Speaker 1: Van Goes, I'll just say this. You got to talk about going to the Smoky Mountains and seeing the millipede.
Speaker 4: Well, that's because it was recent. It was just a couple of weeks ago. Okay, I don't know that didn't make a different determination. But the brushstrokes in van Go's piece, the Story Night, create an illusion of movement, just the way that it does swirls, et cetera. It was so convincing, in fact, it led atmospheric scienceists specializing in marine and fluid dynamics to wonder how closely it aligned with the physics of real skies. And they explained that while the atmospheric motion in the painting can't be measured, duh, they said, the brushstrokes kind of act as a stand in.
Speaker 1: They discovered what they described as hidden turbulence in the painter's depiction of the sky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that the scale and the spacing of the stoke the strokes, even though they looked just kind of random, they said they were accurately capturing the cascading energy high resolution digital picture. They measured precisely the typical size of the brushstrokes and compared that to the scales expected from turbulence theories, and said that they used relative brightness luminance of the varying paint colors as a stand in for kinetic energy. And somehow, according to one of the doctors, it revealed a deep and intuitive understanding of natural phenomenon things, things that Van Goh never should have been able to measure or replicate or anything, because they didn't have the science to measure that stuff back then.
Speaker 1: It's when science and art collide. This study was published in the journal Physics of Fluids. That's not one I'm going to subscribe to anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Run you run some very dangerous circles when you get into the physical fluids.
Speaker 1: Right. Do you know what Kolmogorovov's law is?
Speaker 4: Kolmogorov, Kolmogorov. It's about atmospheric movement and scale.
Speaker 1: Right, but according to measured inertial energy.
Speaker 3: Yes, of that part, I knew, Yeah, yes, child's play.
Speaker 4: Really, they are working on some new carbon fiber batteries and they're saying, if they can put carbon fiber batteries together, you can actually mold that into the framework of cars and airplanes. Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden said they have called massless energy storage a structural bat that could cut the weight of a laptop, for example, by fifty percent, make mobile phones as thin as a credit card, or even increase the driving range of your electric vehicle by up to seventy percent on that single charge. It can carry loads.
Speaker 3: It's stiff.
Speaker 4: Strong carbon fibers, of course, could store electrical energy chemically, and in this way the battery material could actually become part of the construction material of the product. Instead of for example, an electric car today you've got a giant battery or series of batteries on the bottom of the car. You could make it into the body of the car or the frame of the car and actually use that as to cut down on the weight.
Speaker 1: After this week, the word battery makes me a little twitchy.
Speaker 4: Understandable, And you're not even a member of an international terrorist organization not yet, or are you? And then finally, scientists have identified a new blood group a pregnant woman at her blood sampled back in nineteen seventy two, and they figured it was missing a surface molecule that is found on all other known red blood cells at the time. And they describe this new blood group system in humans ABO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all know the ABO.
Speaker 1: So it's a little bit of each really, Lila, a little B, a little lo, mix them all together.
Speaker 4: Yes, But obviously they these the antigen molecules identify markers to separate self from potentially harmful not cells and if they don't match up when you're receiving a blood transfusion, you can actually die from it. And in this case they said that they most people have the a NWJ antigen that was missing from this nineteen seventy two patient's blood.
Speaker 7: That's an episode of House right there. Yeah, he's covered where he's the only one who knows him. I remember this one time. So all right, well, have fun at the football game tonight. Thank you, you're right, John Cobelt Show is coming up next.
Speaker 3: We'll see you tomorrow. Say dry everybody.
Speaker 1: Blessings, you've been listening.
Speaker 3: To the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.