Speaker 1: What's up? He then's how y'all do it? I'm the godless engineer, and I just want to tell you that the Christian God cannot exist. He's described as an omniscient, omni benevolent, and omnipotent, the divine creator of everything. Yet millions of his most devout followers beg him daily to cure their diseases, stop their assaults, and protect their loved ones, and he answers with deafening silence. Children cry out for him to stop their abusers, and he either watches and does nothing, or turns away entirely. If God is omnipotent, then he has the power to answer every one of these prayers. He even said, ask and you shall receive, receive what exactly a silent rejection, a resounding no. If this God is good all the time, and all the time, this God is good, then this God simply cannot exist, because a good God wouldn't watch needless suffering. He has the power to stop. There is no argument to save God from this contradiction and character. If you disagree with the sentiment, then call in, because the show starts now. All right, Welcome everybody. Today is April nineteenth, twenty twenty six, and I'm your host, Scott. This engineer John and joining me right now is Scott Dicky. Hey, there's Scott.
Speaker 2: How you doing doing great? Doing great? How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing all right. You know, it's a pretty pleasant Sunday. You know, woke up late and just sort of chilled out until right now.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got a many way to do Sunday, by the way, that's the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that it is the way. I did get a manny petty. I didn't get my nails painted this time, but you know, Sunday, Yeah, every other Sunday I go and I get a manny petty because that's just you know, healing for me.
Speaker 2: But man do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I do want to remind everybody that the Atheist Experiences a product of the Atheist Community of Austin, a five oh one c three nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government. We are try streaming today, so a big shout out to our viewers over on TikTok and YouTube mobile. If you are watching us on TikTok right now, and you'd like to talk to us, then request to join and we'll bring you up on the stage. Please make sure that you are over eighteen years of age before doing so, or we will have to drop you like a bad habit. All right, Uh so let's see. I do believe that we actually have a call already screened in. You want you good to take a call already?
Speaker 2: Let's dive right in. Let's just go in feet first.
Speaker 1: Here, all right. So, just to remind everybody over there, on all the platforms, you can call in to challenge us today by calling five one two nine nine one nine two four to two or hitting up that link tiny dot c c Ford slash call axph if you would like to challenge us on how how God cannot exist. So we're gonna talk to Steph all right from Canada. What's up that, Steph? How you doing?
Speaker 3: A Fella's nice to see you. I could be better as a little too much more for my liking, but you know, it's a good Sunday afternoon for some dialogue.
Speaker 1: I suppose, yep, I totally agree. So what would I talk about today?
Speaker 3: I think maybe I think maybe just the definition of God might be a good place to start.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's your definition of God?
Speaker 3: That's kind of where I wanted to start with. Actually, what it is that the atheist position says does not exist? I mean, if I'm to say, you know, there's no table, then I would define a table as such, and then I'd say I've done such and such processes to find this table. We can see there's no table. And so that's where I'm kind of curious about the atheist position.
Speaker 1: What So, the atheist position is just that we are not convinced that a God does exist, and that it's for every definition of what God could be. If you're gonna do the Jordan Peterson thing where you distill it down to just literally anything can be labeled a God, then there's really no conversation to be had, right because you're just defining God in and out of existence, and that's not an interesting conversation. That's why I started off with, maybe you could define God for us, like what do you consider to be a God? That way we can tell you why we are not convinced by that definition, or maybe it will convince us. Maybe you'll turn us into some kind of you know, religious today.
Speaker 3: Well said, I'm glad you added that last cave yet, because it's very important. I think people look at at shows like this and the different positions be a fist, be an atheist, and philosophers are quickly written off because they've got this dogmatic fundamentalism, you know. And and so I like how you added that last part that your mind is open to being changed. And actually on that point, like a lot of people don't think about it, but if let's just imagine ten years in the future, you know, we're looking at this show and you guys are like the used to be atheist experience, and you guys who.
Speaker 4: We're actually convinced and we're.
Speaker 3: Given compelling insight and evidence. Let's face it, there's a monetary interest in you guys, particularly you guys, I think you're one of the biggest probably names out there, whatever, uh, in changing your position, because then every atheist would be like, well, what are they saying, why have they changed their what are they looking at?
Speaker 4: That would make them now.
Speaker 3: Not be atheists? And likewise, of course the thests would all flock here as well, like huh, yeah, see, now let's look at this again. You know, it would be it would be monetarily advantageous for you guys to change the position, not only on monetary basis, but also on the uh natural born scientist basis.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: To change your mind would be uh proof that you're not dogmatic that you are.
Speaker 2: Maybe if we're a little less scrupulous, then you're you're saying that we could there's an opportunity there for us to flip and make a ton of cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so, I mean, I mean, obviously it looks like goodness. That would be a great thing to to see and and and like I say too, it would prove stuff, it would prove scientific.
Speaker 1: I appreciate, I totally appreciate the pats on the back for us being agnostic like in general about God. But maybe we could get to your definition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's very it's very clinical. Actually a lot a lot of people, you know, I called it last weeks here I noticed maybe five minutes at the end or whatever. But it's it's basically in the question of do you believe that God exists? Do you believe that that is true or not? And it's funny because that word true contains the literal ingredients of God. That's God, that word exists because of God. We're here to view that word because so true.
Speaker 1: So I hold on steph. So, So I define true as something that like if something is true, if some statement is true, or or something is considered to be true, I consider that to be comporting with reality, meaning that it represents reality in a factual way that helps me navigate reality. Right, So what what about God? What about your Because you haven't given us a definition for one, For two, I don't know in what way a God could be seen as being as being the reason why truth exists. Maybe you could lay that out for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that the active the active ingredient you said the word you said, the word reality right there. That that would be a very close This is of course a particular context of life in this universal locale.
Speaker 2: But are you equating God with reality or God with truth or are you saying that those are just not characteristics that pop up after Sorry, go ahead, good question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly, no, very very good question. Not exclusively those, Uh, this is this is God we're talking about. But it's very critical that we're not gonna attempt to put God in a side of a box and uh, projected definition that is much too small for for God to exist within wherein just by mystifying the word, we've effectively called our idea of God impossible. I mean, that's that's foolish, that's not science, that's not real. You know I'm talking. Yeah, but that would be one of them, yes, and it's there's there's other synonyms as well. Love would be actually the first one.
Speaker 2: Okay, But love and reality are different, so they're they're they're not synonyms of the same thing. They might be, they might be contributing to part of that definition, but they don't mean the same thing. Love and reality and truth are all different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just as water, ice and steam are different things, but they're all.
Speaker 2: No, they're different in a much more significant way. Water, ice and steam are all still water. They're just in a different phase. Is that what you're saying, Truth, Reality, and God are all the same thing, just in a different phase. Because if that's what you're saying, I think we're gonna need a little bit more from you on that.
Speaker 3: Well, let's dig in and I can even continue a few more too, because it it's not just love, truth.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, So so hold on, let's let's let's stick with your claims here about truth?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: Love?
Speaker 1: And I don't know did did you say beauty? I kind of got lost?
Speaker 3: Uh no, no, I did the word salad? All right?
Speaker 1: Okay, So so truth? How does so? How does God ground truth? Uh? Let's start there, like like how does God factor into truth?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: Why is it that truth only exists because God exists?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: What can you build that bridge for me?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: That is God? That that is that is God.
Speaker 1: But I know that's just that. Hold on, hold on, that's just definitional word salad. There, that's a it's a it means nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a few more because meaning is actually one of them as well. I just did know was there six or seven? I just just give me one second here a game like I I just want to make the point here here it is you can't even write it down. We've got love, truth, right, life, We've got innocence, we've got information, meaning, and person. I'm seeing those are all synonymous, and I'm seeing they're not.
Speaker 1: Those are different concepts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we see frozen water, evaporating water, right, liquid water water?
Speaker 2: I can yeah, we can show you how that how they're all water. We can look at an ice cube and we can break it down, and we can, you know, with a strong enough microscope, we can even start seeing what's the structure of it. Okay, so you need to do the same thing. So how do we how do we show that life, truth, love, innocence, information, meaning, and person not only not only are they somehow synonyms of each other, but also synonyms with God? Is it okay?
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, Scott, Yes, thank you. The first The first way I would look at it with with would actually it's it's actually a big part of that would be let's let's talk about information. I know a long time agoing I's first.
Speaker 2: Well, why don't you start with truth? What Ge was asking about? Why don't we start with that? You brought that up first? How is the fact? So Ge was saying truth to him, and I would agree with him. Truth is simply a correspondence of a statement with reality. If there are two eggs on the table there, and I say there are two eggs on the table, there is a correspondence with the statement that I'm making with with with the physical reality of the table in front of me, And you're saying, are you saying that that is God? Or that is an aspect of God or you're going to need you have a lot of connecting disease.
Speaker 3: I'll get there, don't worry. I mean, I've been on this for decades. I haven't called in yet, you know, I've kept my mouth shut until.
Speaker 4: I had something to say.
Speaker 3: And now, after decades of taking this matter seriously, I've called in because I now have something to say.
Speaker 2: So then stop saying that you have something to say and say it. Right, Let's hear it, let's hear it. I want to hear. I want to hear what you have to say.
Speaker 3: I love that you want to hear. You can see the similarity between information, misinformation, truth and lie?
Speaker 4: Do you see those those connections.
Speaker 3: There between because you said, don't do information, do truth? But for information it really just explains truth because I mean the same thing the same way. But i'd like to but you see the similarity between information misinformation?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, So so what may I mean? I guess in a in a tangential way, truth, you know matters because like something that is informational should comport with reality, which would be characterized as truth. Right, but uh, like information, you haven't defined information like we've defined truth you haven't defined information, but I would really like to stick on truth because like, all I've heard is ad hoc claims so far. Do you know what an ad hoc claim is? Hold on, don't.
Speaker 6: Don't tell you this?
Speaker 1: Yes, can you tell me? Can you tell me what ad hoc that hawk is?
Speaker 3: That means what is kind of a thing as as I go along?
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no no no no, that's not what ad hoc means. At ad hoc means that in this particular context, at hawk means that it's unsupported. Like it's just a claim, right, So your claim is God is truth?
Speaker 3: Okay, unsupported? Unsupported?
Speaker 1: Okay, yep, right, it's unsupported. So now can you please support that with some kind of like indication that God is truth?
Speaker 3: Sure? And it starts with the the the challenge, the I'm sorry my memory, I have a little bit of a brain damage, uh for memory wise, it's called like the complexity problem of complexity right where it's said like, hey, you know, if you're willing to say that of God made youth, and you also have to explain what made this God?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean that makes that makes sense? You know, I think you got are familiar with it is. That's called problem of complexity.
Speaker 1: Problem, problem of complexity? No, what can you can you restate it again?
Speaker 3: If if if you claim that God made you, then tell me what made your God? What's that called?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, that would be like an infinite regress. And that's kind of a malformed version of it, of of the problem of like infinite God's creating each other. Like typically apologists will form it in the way of saying, like, you know, well, everything that comes into existence in this universe had to be created by something, and so like, if God exists in in this universe in some kind of way, then God needed to be created. So what God created that God? And then if that God existing in just infinite.
Speaker 2: Regress in the in the in the context of complexity, do you mean that? Do you mean? Are you saying that something that's more complex needs to be caused by something that is less complex? Is that what you mean by the law of complexity?
Speaker 3: I just wanted to reference the idea I said infinite regression.
Speaker 4: I said a problem of complexity, same thing.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
Speaker 4: So when you take that idea, those.
Speaker 2: Are different things.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're having problems with like words like I.
Speaker 3: Haven't got to finish. Yeah, just let me finish my point here real quick. When you take that idea of problem complexity, we find something interesting. We find that when we take information itself and say, what could ever be the catalyst of information itself? What could we ever imagine and point to and say, hey, that right there, that's what quote unquote created information itself. We would have to be pointing at some time.
Speaker 1: Sorry, stuff, And this is grating on me. This is like nails on a chalkboard. Stuff. Okay, you've worked for ten years. You have molled over this for ten years, getting your thoughts together, and you've so far not been able to string together a coherent like argument or sentence. So far, it's just been words out.
Speaker 3: I haven't got to land.
Speaker 1: Up plan yet, let me land so steph. We have afforded you a lot of time to talk here, and I've asked you repeatedly to define, you know, define different things to find God, which you've just made ad hoc statements about the components that comprise God, but you haven't actually defined God. So we've given you a lot of time. If it takes a dissertation level investigation into your definition of God to have the conversation. Then this is not the venue for you. Right. If it takes you thirty minutes to get through your word salad, just for us to be at the end with so many different things for us to actually try to contend with that we can't even begin to tackle it, then you've just stumbled into either you know, a gish gallop is what you've done, or you've just steamrolled us in the conversation so that we can't actually refute anything. That's a typical apologist move, right. We're not going to allow that. You want to take things one thing at a time. So like you've given us a list and it's a it's a robust list of ad hoc claims, and we're just asking you to stick with one. You started with truth. Let's start with truth, and you want to pivot to information, which you actually haven't defined yet at all. We don't know what this information is, or what it's comprised of, or how God is needed for it. So let's stick with truth, right. I don't I do not do not want to hear information come out of your mouth again until we handle truth. Okay, so let's stick with truth, and let's right you saying that's what God is, but you have Oh my god, you just said information. Ever I told you don't use the word information.
Speaker 3: I can Let's show you. I can show you how works. I can show you. I can show you how how it works that God's situation itself, I can show you.
Speaker 2: I doubt that. But how about this, how about this? How about we take it from the other side. If there were no God, if there were no God, then why would statements not be able to align with reality?
Speaker 3: God's information?
Speaker 4: There'd be nothing in existence, nothing to talk.
Speaker 3: About, much less people to talk about.
Speaker 1: What does it mean that God is information? Holy fuck? You're just defining God into existence?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: So we're like, hey, let's mix some rockets. We try a whole bunch of times, and they keep blowing up on the space pads. What's happened that rocket would blow up? We've done something wrong. We've missed God.
Speaker 1: God has tea bagged the rockets and has caused them to explode. Explain that there's your information. Allow God tea bags rockets and they explode when he tea bags them.
Speaker 3: A lack a lack of God would have the rockets explode?
Speaker 1: The lack of God? Where is God in a rocket?
Speaker 3: The information is what I want to I swear to Christ.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna say this really soft right now, Okay almost ASMR. Like, if you say information and God is information, one more fucking time, I'm gonna drop you like a bad habit. Okay, that's grading on me. Stop it. Okay, where is God in the rocket? I know you said information, but that doesn't actually tell me anything. Okay, tell me off. Sure, that doesn't tell me anything either.
Speaker 3: Why do you keep interrupting me.
Speaker 4: I haven't gotten a chance to tell you anything.
Speaker 3: You keep interrupting me before.
Speaker 1: You've told me plenty of things. You've told me plenty of things that don't mean anything. You've just made more ad hoc statements like god. A lack of God is why why fucking rockets explode. So you're telling me that the Shuttle disaster in the early nineteen nineties that was because of there was a lack of God. But every other every other launch before then had had God in the midst Where is God in those particular things? And why are you saying that the people that died on that shuttle, in that in in in that explosion. Why are you saying that they somehow lacked God and that's the reason why it exploded. Do you understand how fucking ridiculous your position is right now at all?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, you're not hearing what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying that death don't Yeah, you're right, I don't think you understand.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Steph?
Speaker 8: What does it mean?
Speaker 1: What does the lack of God mean? You're just saying it's a lack of God. What does that look like other than an exploding rocket? What factor of God? And what lack of God in that causes the the fucking rocket to explode?
Speaker 3: In accuracy? Miss infnet.
Speaker 2: Steph, the reason that we keep interrupting you is because we don't understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, it's it's it's it's subtle, it's unassuming, but well it's subtle.
Speaker 2: Could one explanation? Okay, now, I just I haven't got a good answer from you. What if there was no God? Why is it that somebody could say there's two eggs on the table and that would not be able to correspond with reality?
Speaker 3: Eggs require informative propit. You need information itself that I.
Speaker 4: Call something an egg. Eggs are made of information itself.
Speaker 2: Whether we call it the egg or not, it's still a thing, right. It doesn't require us to understand it. It doesn't require us to explain it. We can point at it, we can call it something. Whether whether or not I even know anything about the table, I can still say there are two eggs on the table, and that can still correspond with reality, even if I'm totally ignorant of tables and eggs.
Speaker 3: I got you, I got Yeah. So what you're describing as information you think I think this dere miscimmunication is you're thinking of it as being something subjective. It's not. It's objective by definition.
Speaker 2: It's I'm not talking about information. I'm talking about Why can't truth exists without God? You said God was the correlation between a statement and reality. A correlation is just a relationship between facts of the universe, and you're saying that they can't correlate without God. Why God?
Speaker 3: God is that reality? When you say there's two eggs there, when you call them eggs or snakes or whatever you want to call them, that that set up the informative properties that makes them an egg information itself. If you don't have God your eggs in the first place.
Speaker 2: So so this all boils down to God is reality. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: Yes, quite, that's simple, but yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: That would not part so God. Well, so when I take away from this and correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding Scott, But I feel like what he's saying is that God is reality and reality is God. So everything is God like just everything in real This is I called it. I wanted to. I just want to pat myself on the back here at the very bit, because at the very beginning I said, if you're just in Jordan Peter and define it into just an ambiguous everything is God, then there's no point in us having this conversation that was twenty minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Except for the misinformation, that's my point. Except for the misinformation, except for the inaccuracy, except for the death, except for the selfishness, except for the meaningless, except for the why are you crashing out right?
Speaker 4: Oh I'm not crushing out, I'm like, except for those things, except for.
Speaker 2: Those things, those things aren't God. No, do you when we say that we're atheists, do you think that we mean that we don't believe in reality. Do you think anybody that says I don't believe in God means they don't believe in reality? And on the other side of that, do you think anybody besides yourself that says I believe in God means that they believe in reality?
Speaker 3: To me, it looks clear that there's an illiteracy going on.
Speaker 2: But to you, do you I think that's what they mean? Is this just something in your head?
Speaker 3: Well, they're working within non functional, illiterate nothing definition of God. I really don't blame most atheists for considering that what's been And by the way, you're not the only ones that the theists have historically done a rotten job of representing God well as well. I don't blame you. I'm Steph. Yeah, the definition is is a non starter.
Speaker 1: It's just no. I well, I feel like I feel like your understanding and definition of God is a non starter because you're just defining God as everything. But also I want to point out a bit of a.
Speaker 4: Flaw and everything except for what not.
Speaker 3: Everything not everything, Steph, is not a type of information?
Speaker 1: No, well, yes it is. It's it's wrong information, right, misinformation is wrong information, but it still exists in reality. Misinformation is everywhere right now, especially in the United States. Right. Also, like a lack of love could be you could classify that as hate. You could classify it as being indifferent, right, that would be a lack of love. But both of those things still exist in reality. So what it seems to me? And correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to I'm trying to calm down, and I'm trying to steal man your argument here, thank you. I'm trying to steal man your argument in that you're saying that God is reality except when reality is on the flip side of the good aspects of God. Right, God is only the good parts of reality and the rest of reality isn't isn't God? Is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, thanks, thanks for thanks for the point. That's why I balked. I think for intention purposes. Yeah, but I had to balk at it because this is a context of life that we're dealing with here, in this universal locale, and in this context of life, we have a mishmash.
Speaker 4: We have a we have.
Speaker 3: An ungodly matters being mixed with godly matters. We have being mixed with life, untruth be mixed with truth, meaninglessness being mixed with meaning, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Stuff. Are you just like a deist or or are you like part of the Abrahamic religions?
Speaker 3: If if I could give you a definition, a box with which should I fit, I would gladly offer it up. I said. The closest wea you get with maybe BCUs that's what the guy asked, you see is this that before we got on the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're just you're just a classical theist, I got it. I don't know, Scott, do you have anything, because I feel like we're not getting anywhere and he's not answering our questions and he's just trying to steamroll us with the Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we're discovering what I mean, Steph, I understand the desire to want to share your thoughts with people, I think, and you've mentioned that you've had trouble communicating that in the past, and you're having trouble communicating that now now. Whether that's our fault because we're not ready to hear what you're saying, whether we're not understanding what you're saying, but it could also be also be on your end. It could be a miscommunication on your end. Maybe you're not expressing yourself correctly, or maybe what you're thinking about really doesn't make any sense, and it just seems like it makes sense to you. And so, you know, while I would love to, I mean what you're saying, it sounds interesting to me to the extent that it's not gibberish, But you're really, you know, flirting with that gibberish end of the spectrum there. And I think that I don't I have no confidence ge to answer your question. I don't have any confidence that we're going to get any further in this call. And I don't necessarily think it's because of any particular reason other than just a breakdown in communication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 4: Fifteen seconds, give me fifteen seconds.
Speaker 1: Sure, we'll give you fifteen seconds, but I'm going to be counting. I'm gonna be strict about it, and then we're going to drop you.
Speaker 4: Okay, sounds good, fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 3: You want to send a r.
Speaker 4: Get to the moon. If you did the calculations crept, if you're accurate, if you comported with reality, if you comported with information, you get to the moon. If you miss if if misinformation leaks in there, if you're wrong, if you're inaccurate, you miss the mark God gets.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry I dropped you at fifteen seconds, he asked, He's the one that set that time ref him. So as far as Steph as as far as he was saying, there goes like, I don't know. It felt like just a whole bunch of word salad there at the end, Like I don't I don't know what he was talking about. He's he mentioned rockets again. I still don't understand how like a lack of God causes rockets to explode, Like, I don't know. I took that pretty personally. I mean, like I actually personally met the astronauts that were on on that particular ship that in the early nineties. I can't remember which one it was was that was that Columbia. I can't remember the Challenger, the Challenger, Yeah, the Challenger explosion. I actually met the astronauts that were on that, and so like it, I mean to say that, like rockets explode because there are there's a lack of God in there. It just it seems like meaningless words.
Speaker 2: Oulid that's yeah, yeah, well, to me, it sounded like like he has some thoughts in his head. Maybe he's struggling with you know, maybe on on the fence in some ways. I suppose I don't want to put words in his mouth, but it sounded like he was having difficulty expressing thoughts that were in his head. And you know, I don't think we really came to any kind of useful conclusion, at least not useful for us. But you know, Steph, I hope you got something useful out of this conversation, at the very least, that the way you're trying to communicate your ideas is breaking down, and and you know, we just couldn't make the connection you were trying to make. That's that you were trying to say. That seems so obvious, and you know, so I would I would maybe go back and listen to what we're saying and see if you can kind of map out what you were trying to say, and then give us a callback, and you know, who knows, maybe we can make a little bit more progress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally agree. Before we move to our next color, which we do have another color lined up, but I do want to make a few announcements. Got to do all of our you know, add many stuff. We now have a word from our fellow hosts Jamie the Blind Limey about an exciting May event.
Speaker 8: Jamie the Blind lime here and I've got some interesting news for you. On Saturday, May sixteenth, at six pm, we'll be hosting our twenty four hour we Are Here live stream and fundraiser to highlight secular voices around the world. We've invited dozens of your favorite content creators like Genetically Modified Skeptic, the Antibot, Justin d Z and more to let the world know that we are here and we're not going anywhere. If you're here in Austin, come join us at Free Thought at fifteen oh seven West Cain and Length.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 8: We'll be kicking things off in style, and if you're online, do join us on the Atheist Experience channel to check out the stream and joining the fun. So join us from wherever you are in the world, and together we can dedicate ourselves to secular humanist values wherever we are.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Jamie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Jamie for the info on the upcoming twenty four hour live stream and fundraiser on May sixteenth at six pm. So I'm playing. I actually just got done talking to Maria today about what I can do to contribute, and I know I'm the seventeenth. I believe I'm scheduled to be on AXP, so I'll be doing that. But I'm also probably going to be doing a segment where I talk about mythicism. That's the idea that Jesus never existed as a real historical person, So I'm gonna I'm gonna do something with that. I think that Percifists. I don't know if anybody knows who I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say. We're going to see a new another appearance.
Speaker 6: By the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Secular Wins. Yeah, Yeah, I believe I'm going to be doing our Procifist rather is going to be doing something with Secular Arty, so I can't wait for that. But we also now want to send a big thank you out there to the crew who put this show together. Every week. It's video operators, audio operators, note takers, chat moderators, all of y'all are doing awesome. Thank you so much for making this show great. We definitely appreciate all of those wonderful crew members back there. If you would like to be one of our crew members, or be a guest on one of our shows, or even eventually become a host. We're always looking for people interest in being part of our productions, so you can email volunteer at atheistdashcommunity dot org to get involved. And if you want to help out, please do email that. We could always use the extra help. So let's see, do I think that we do have another We do still have another call in there, But if you're over there on the TikTok it would be great. It would be awesome if you could keep tapping on that screen there to get those hearts up. We've got two point one thousand hearts over there, we got twenty five people watching. If everybody just took a few seconds to just constantly tap on the screen there to get those hearts up, that would really help us out. Sharing the live would also help us out. Reposting and all that kind of good stuff would also help. But if you are in the TikTok chat, please request up if you would like to talk to us. We would love to take a call from TikTok today. If you know anybody out there that likes to talk a lot of crap about eighth you just share the live with them, maybe they'll maybe maybe they'll actually request up. If you're on on the YouTube's you can call in at five one two nine nine nine four two, or you can hit up tiny dot cc ford slash call axp uh. I started out the show today with the problem of evil, you know, very basic problem for an omni benevolent god. If you would like to discuss that, we would love to discuss that with you, or anything else atheist and secular related. So we're going to talk to AJ from Canada. Now, AJ, what up there?
Speaker 6: AJ?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: What up good?
Speaker 1: How are you doing? Guys doing pretty good? So what you want to talk about today?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 7: I was chatting with a friend of mine, he's a Muslim, and we got talking about how life started and one of this points that he brought up and I was really struggling to get around.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I think I lost AJ. Did you lose a J?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: AJ, the his audio just dropped out there, Uh a J.
Speaker 1: You're you're on the web color. So if you're on your phone, you may need to wake your phone up or something. Uh your screen could have gone dark.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yep, I heard something. He ended up I, Uh, well, we heard a clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we heard clicks and then you you said, did you hear all that? And so no, we did not.
Speaker 2: Here you guys, you can't hear us now.
Speaker 7: Yes, I don't know if you caught Uh what I what? I just said?
Speaker 2: No, we missed the last thing, he said, So why don't you repeat then?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I was chatting with with my most of my friends, and we ended up talking about consciousness, and eventually I couldn't get around to explaining it to him, and we ended up down a rabbit hole where it was like, well, if you started as unconscious, well you're probably unconscious now and I can't take any points from you, and it was just a rabbit hole. So I was wondering how you would explain it to someone else, How an unconscious start to lead to consciousness?
Speaker 1: Uh, Scott, what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean all of us start out unconscious, right If we know, we start out, as you know, as a handful of cells, and those handful of cells are not conscious and so we eventually developed consciousness. That's kind of a quick and easy answer. I would think that if we want to dive into the answer, a little bit deeper. We need to really define and this is not an easy task I'm about to give you, But we need to define what consciousness is, you know. And I believe that if we have a good definition of consciousness, much of the answer to your question will become evident. So can you give us uh, you know, for the purposes of your question, what do you mean by consciousness?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I believe what uh. In that discussion, what we were ending up with is something along the lines of like being a conscious being you would need to have I think he was going down the the idea of conscious beings can only come from other conscious beings. And if you started out evolutionary as an unconscious bunch of electrons and neutrons that created life, then then that's impossible. We did not really define consciousness.
Speaker 2: But so it sounds like it's an argument from personal incredulity, like you just don't know, and so what's the So where do you go from there? So let's say, so you and your friend, did you figure out where consciousness came from? Or did you end up in I don't know?
Speaker 7: And then I don't know, but I believe he was eventually just saying you can't create consciousness out of an unconscious process, which eventually leads to God creating everything, and that's where consciousness comes from.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's where that leads. But so did you ask him why not when he said consciousness can only arise from other consciousness? Yes, and you asked what you did? You ask why not? And if so, what was his response?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 7: Really, it just was basically assumed that.
Speaker 2: I guess, Okay, well, if you assume that you're going to have problems, yeah, yeah, well that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So yeah. And the way that I take this particular topic like consciousness or you know, the the I guess, I think they call it the hard problem of consciousness, and that's a mind body dualism, right, like what what is consciousness and how does that relate to you know, your physical body? And I take consciousness as being an emergent property of a complex central nervous system. So as long as you have a complex enough nervous system, then you'll eventually have consciousness arise. So I think that with with it being an emergent property of a central nervous system that is complex enough, I think that it's already like arising out of like it's already arising out of non consciousness, right because like you know, the actual the actual physical material of our bodies in our brain would be not conscious, right, but the complex interactions of our neurons and the chemicals in our brains causes consciousness to emerge from that, right. And there's there's other there's other things that are emergent properties, like a good A good simple example would be like the horizon line. The horizon line isn't an actual line. It emerges from you know, your visual uh, you taking in that visual stimuli where you know, the land meets the sky and it creates this imaginary line that we call the horizon, right, And so it's it's more of an emergent property of what you're seeing as opposed to something that actually exists, like you know in that same way that the land or that the sky exists. So consciousness being this emergent property, I think it's already you know, emerging from non consciousness, being that it's emerging from like our physical brains.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that makes sense. I guess what this makes sense in the sense of like us today with with the complex city that we have and everything that goes on to create that experience. But when we went back in the discussion to the beginning of life, it was much harder to actually like create that easy connection to say, oh, there's a complex nervous system that creates that.
Speaker 1: Well, so I mean a complex central nervous system comes much later in evolutionary history, right like when life first emerged. I typically go with like the RNA world hypothesis. You know that RNA existed first, and then it eventually developed into DNA, which then eventually developed into you know, single celled organisms. And then the single celled organism started clumping together and specializing and all and developed into multi cellu organisms. So like all of that, it eventually escalates into you know, complex central nervous systems where consciousness can run. And so like where I think that there's there's a confusion on the actual evolutionary timeline in this particular respect. I remember earlier when you were talking about how like electrons and neurons and all this other stuff can't cause consciousness to arise. But it's like you're jump like that, that conversation's jumping so many different steps that's it's nearly incoherent. I mean, I can parse through it because I've been doing this for like fifteen years or so. Yeah, but I think for most people like that would seem incoherent because it's like, yeah, electrons don't cause consciousness, but life also doesn't spawn from just you know, random atoms clashing into each other. That's not what a biogenesis is. That's not what evolutionary the evolutionary hypothesis is. Are not hypothesis, sorry, evolutionary theory is. That's just not what any of that is.
Speaker 7: Okay, So maybe that's where the confusion is because in our discussion, and you have to imagine there's a few levels to this discussion, like not only he's a believer, but he doesn't believe in evolution, and then then there's like probably other like ten other layers of that discussion. So to start off, I explained that life began through random, random trial and error. Essentially, there was an environment where there was enough trial and error that created the first organism, and then that's where evolution kicked off. Is that is that how you would explain it to someone else?
Speaker 2: Or is there a randomness would contribute to that? But it's not, you know, it's not just all random, it's not just chaos and then something pops out of it. You know, there's reality, there's you know, nature operating on various things, and so it's it's not. Yes, random contributes to the process of evolution, but randomness is not aonymous with evolution. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not saying it's synonymous, but I'm saying, well, and if we go back to the to the beginnings, where it was the first organism that evolution pushed or the environment pushed to to come to be, then how do you actually explain that to someone else, because they would say, basically, the argument is you can't really end up with conscious being from.
Speaker 2: But they're just saying that, right, I mean, what did what did you just say? It was just saying consciousness is an emergent property of a complex nervous system. We have a nervous system. We have a complex nervous system. Therefore consciousness arises from that. If your friend is trying to impose other restrictions like oh, you can't do that, well, then it's no surprise that he's coming to a different conclusion. The question is does he have any reason, any good reason to make that statement in the first place.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so. I think, but as far as I understand it, if you go back far enough to the beginning of living beings and the beginnings of life, then you would end up in a place where those early beings were not conscious in the same sense that us humans are conscious, and even today like our I don't know how to explain it, but our level of consciousness is probably higher compared to other beings that we have today.
Speaker 2: And Okay, I think that's an important point there. I think that it's important to note that consciousness. And somebody in the chat mentioned this as well. Consciousness is not just an on and off. It's not just a binary, it's a it's a spectrum, right, And so it's not like all of us there was nothing and then all of a sudden consciousness arose as our nervous systems or as our nervous system analogs in you know, in proto animals and and you know, our our forefathers and so forth. As that gained in complexity, it gave us more ability to uh, you know, expand our conscious experience. We learn how to do different you know, our the the level of complexity can support certain complex actions and that's just something that gradually has been increasing over time.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, that makes sense, because I was I was struggling because at some point the discussion just became pointless, honestly, because they were making the assumption that you have to have conscious being to create conscious beings, and consciousness knot just to rise out of a vacuum kind of thing. And then you end up with a law creating everything, and he's the reason for all of this.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now I get where you're coming from on this. My advice if you get into this conversation again with anybody and for anybody out there, is to really hone in on the ad hoc claims, because like with the first caller, you have to be able to identify when they're not supporting it and they're just saying things like they're just making statements. If you can actually identify where things need to have support for them, then you can. I mean that I'm not saying this to like stall the conversation or anything or whatnot, But if they're going to say things like consciousness can't arise from non consciousness, they need to like provide the evidence that that can't happen, right, so like, I don't know what that evidence would look like, because that's not how you know reality works. But my guess is that they wouldn't be able to explain it either. In my experience, a lot of people are just regurgitating what they've heard apologists say, or regurgitating what they've heard their favorite YouTube apologists say, and they're just saying things.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: If we nail them down and we get them to actually substantiate their statements, then you have a better chance of them realizing that they don't have a good reason for saying that themselves, and so it's like you don't you then don't have to convince them away from it. They convince themselves away from a bad position.
Speaker 7: And do you know if there is an example, I know it's really hard to map out examples onto these cases because you know, we only have one life and this is the only living environment that we ever saw before, So you can't easily just come up with an example to say, well, here's an example of how an unconscious process can create consciousness. Like I was going to go down like to explain it through like how gravity creates the planets and things like that, and it's an unconscious process. But then the discussion was like, wait, so planets are not conscious, so it doesn't really work in this case. And I realize that, but it's really hard to come up with an example to make it close at least, or to kind of lighten up that bulb in their in their minds right to show them.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say it's hard to make a complete example, but I mean it's if you I mean, if you're expecting it to appear just out of nowhere, then yeah, and if you're if the person you're talking to makes that ad hoc statement, you can't have you can't have consciousness arise out of unconscious matter of course, there's going to be an issue. Yeah. And so just as gu was saying, you got to call them on that, you got to say, Okay, that's the roadblock. Everything we say after this doesn't make a difference because you're assuming this one thing. You're assuming basically they were assuming their conclusion, right, and that's a that's a logical fallacy right there. And if they're not, if just ask them straight up, are you assuming that or can you back it up? And if they if they say that they're assuming it, then you have then you can point out you can say, ah, then your then your conclusions are based on your assumption. If they're not assuming it, then you can say, okay, then let's why are you not assuming it?
Speaker 7: And then probably one of the first questions they would probably ask is what, well, why are you assuming that you can create consciousness out of nothing or out of did.
Speaker 2: You do you assume that? But if you did assume that, then you should be prepared to back that up. If you did assume that, though, and they're accusing you of assuming it, then call them on that too. Then they're assuming that you're assuming.
Speaker 7: But isn't the assumption here? Isn't that the assumption here with evolution that essentially an unconscious process and up with with conscious beings for us eventually?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean not an assumption to my knowledge.
Speaker 1: So I mean, well, the fact that that like evolution as a process, isn't conscious like it. That's not so while it ended up like in in the in the evolutionary process, we get to a point where consciousness arises. Right, That doesn't mean that evolution is necessarily the cause of it. It explains it explains how organisms change over time. And I would say that you know, consciousness is kind of like I guess in the in this case, like an intitable thing that would develop. But I think that, you know, saying evolution like is the cause of consciousness, Like, I don't know, I would have to think about that more, but yeah, it definitely wouldn't be like an assumption that I would make on that part. But I also, you know, if anybody tries to suggest that, it almost seems like a loaded question or a loaded statement, like, you know, because it seems like there's like this assumption that there's some kind of consciousness behind all processes, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because that would be the the the Islamic explanation of life is that conscious being being God initiated. Like they can go really far in this explanation to say even evolution, even evolution itself was a process that God initiated, and they can always step one step behind and say, oh, as science shows that evolution is true, then God created evolution and that's how you have the consciousness initiating the pros right right.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be called a moving the goal post fallacy, and it's fallacious because once they've disproven on something, then they just change it to something else and it's just an ever moving goal post that they're doing in order for their particular position to remain alive, as opposed to just admitting that, yeah, that's wrong, right, and so like, you know, I'm not saying that you need to be like, ah, that's shifting the goal post. That's a blunder kind of thing. You don't need to do that.
Speaker 7: It's not easy to do that, even to remember all these terms, and.
Speaker 1: So I wouldn't do that necessarily. But what I would do is just for your own sake being able to identify it when they're doing these fallacious apologetic moves, just so that you can identify for yourself like, oh, he's not actually gaining ground in this. Like I feel like if you're gonna shift, if you're going to move the goalpost, that's you like conceding ground to the other side because you've had to shrink your position, right, you had to shrink your position even tighter. And that and then that leads into a more of a God of the Gap situation where it's just here's a gap in our knowledge or you know, I'm just being personally incredula and incredulous about it, and so that that is yet another way that they're just not correct just because they're throwing, you know, darts out of board hoping one hits the bull's eye.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it becomes a challenge of actually just identifying when when claims are being made and how to actually catch them out. But then, like back to the to the consciousness idea, So just to make sure that I have it correct in my head, is it what science says today? Like that basically an unconscious process eventually led to consciousness, because is that what science asserts?
Speaker 2: I think what science asserts is that we don't know, and it suggests, it says we have some ideas of you know, I think even nailing down what consciousness is is a slippery problem and might not be thoroughly explained or defined by science at this point or by scientists, we should say. And so that's tough to say. I do have a kind of a side question I want to ask you, but I don't want to derail the conversation. And so is there Do you have any other things you wanted to say related to what we were talking about so far?
Speaker 4: No, please go ahead, Okay, Well.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to point something out we've been talking about recognizing fallacies when you're talking to somebody when they're presenting fallacies to you, and this type of argument that you're describing, the you know, how could this have possibly happened? What else could it be?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: The what else could it be? The word else in there really sticks with me. And what they're doing is they're sneaking in their God onto the list. Really you're starting out with not what else could it be? But what could it be? How did God get on the list? They just kind of snuck it on there. They just said, well, it could be God. We can't think of anything else that it could be, so then it must be God. Well how did God get on the list? If God doesn't exist, it couldn't have been God. And if we don't know already that gods exist, then we can't really tie them to We can't say, oh, this is what gods are like, Gods are like this, and so they do X, Y and z. So whenever we see X, y and Z, we can tie it to this God. But if you're trying to make an argument that gods do exist, you can't go making definitive statements about what those gods do and what they're like and what they're capable of, And so I would have just stopped him right there and say, wait a minute, how did God get on the list? Why are you asking what else can it be? When you should be asking what can it be? And if we don't know, then we don't know.
Speaker 7: That makes sense. It's it's probably also because they're so ingrained in the theology and the ideas of religion itself that they don't even see any other path to this. So they're coming on with the presumption of well, it must be God, and then you have to come up with a way to actually explain it to them that to take them outside of that.
Speaker 2: So you've just identified another assumption that they were making. And that's exactly how you do. You just ask questions and the assumptions will bubble to the top.
Speaker 7: That makes sense, Yeah, and you really need to have someone listening on the other end sometimes with these discussions. Is they're just trying to get you. They're just trying well, that's sure, and they're probably someone who knows who knows a few standard arguments and they just keep throwing them at you and then you're like, okay, well, so sometimes you have to have someone else on the other side that's actually willing to listen, I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: And if somebody's throwing, you know, prepackaged arguments at you, that's definitely a signal that they have no idea what they're talking about, and so any questions at all will cause their whole argument to just unravel. And so that's you know, that's when the questions are the most effective. And and if you can shine a light on the on the breakdown of communication, don't. I don't know if you saw our discussion with our first caller, but it was just a breakdown in communication, and and they just weren't able to coherently express their ideas in the first place. And you know, whether or that that was because they didn't have a coherent idea or whether they were just having trouble saying it, that's, you know, that remains to be seen. But that's kind of the same thing. What's happening here is that they don't really understand what the argument that they're making. Because if they understood the argument, or if they found the argument compelling, they should be able to at least explain it. They should be able to explain how it was if somebody can't explain an argument to me, that's a big red flag that they really don't find it compelling. You can't find it compelling if you don't understand it. And if they can't explain it, then they don't really understand it. You know that old saying that you know, if you can't explain it to a five year old, you don't really have a thorough understanding of it. Yeah, I think that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's the same kind of idea.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, that makes sense. But in your experience, is there, like, in situations like this, is there an example that someone could mention to kind of change their frame of mind to actually think about it, Because one example I was trying to say is, for example, well, you can have to uh crazy parents that would seem to have no consciousness or no stable like that's just two crazy parents and they give birth to a uh uh a regular person whose or two blind people can give birth to.
Speaker 1: My child that sees.
Speaker 7: But again, these are all examples limited within our frame of mind, within our experience, within our like things that we've experienced in our lives. And it's so hard because evolution is something that you don't experience, and we've not seen how life started and we were not there, So it's one of those things. So I don't know if there's any other examples that that you guys would would be familiar with to kind of at.
Speaker 1: Least I'm sorry, maybe maybe I was distracted. What what are there supposed to be examples.
Speaker 7: Of examples of how an unconscious process could lead to consciousness? Because the only example that we have is is life itself, what we have right now where evolution and life began and led to a conscious conscious being. But are there any other examples from our day to day that could maybe illustrate the point or make it closer?
Speaker 2: I think that would be really hard, but mostly because we don't really have a solid definition of what consciousness is. Would they have a similar difficulty understanding how like a giraffe's long neck would evolve? I mean, that's a little bit more concrete, might be a little bit easier to explain, is that? I mean, do you think that would shed any light? If you're asking us, do we have any examples of here is a you know, a scientifically verified line of of you know of of offspring, and and here's how we develop consciousness. I think that's I think that that's a tall order to come up with something like.
Speaker 7: That, But it's really hard because like from their frame of mind, consciousness arises because God and still sold into us.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, and obviously we don't. We don't necessarily align with that, and I'd be curious to have them explain how could that happen? How does God? How does God make us conscious?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, and and their belief it's actually.
Speaker 2: It's because if they answer mysterious ways, then boy, that you just got to free answer to any question they ever asked you.
Speaker 7: And then when you die, that's what leaves you or your body, it's your soul. That's that's how they would explain it.
Speaker 2: Well, they got some splaining to do then, if that's what they're going it asserts. That's again that's another right there, that's another unfounded assertion, of.
Speaker 7: Course, but it's it's all mingled up between religion and and all like presupposed ideas, and it becomes really hard to take them out of that frame of mind because it just I don't find it's easy for them to click and I actually realize it.
Speaker 2: But well, you know, the big The big learn here is the big the big lesson here is that if you make ship up, you're gonna come to weird conclusions.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, of course, no I think that makes sense. Well, I really appreciate you as the time. Oh sure, yeah, it's probably just something that we'd have to you'd have to always be on your toes, just trying to see whenever these claims come up, and there's so many of them, and some of them are built on top of each other, and it's just an endless web of the assertions because oh God created this and the next and that, and it becomes really hard to just stop at one point and say, well, wait, out of all of these build on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just keep asking how do you know? Keep asking how do you know? If they if they make an assertion and you don't understand how they got that, ask them why? Ask them why do you think that? Even if you have an idea of why they might believe it, it's still helpful to ask that question, why do you believe that? Because then you can get an idea. It gives you insight into their thinking process and so on. But yeah, you know it's you said, you know you got to be on your toes. But really you just have to use your own understanding as your guide. If they say something and you don't know what it means, ask them. And and you know, I think and I'm not saying that I think theists are all the same, and I'm not saying that they are intentionally being misleading or anything. I think, you know, theists are human too, and we can all be misled, but I think that they they our human minds have have kind of a desire for order, a desire to know things, a desire to understand things. That's because our our ancestors that did not have that curiosity were less likely to survive. But but just that, you know, allow that to kind of push you along, because they probably had the same issue and felt an awkwardness or an uncomfortable feeling because they didn't know something right, And so what could be happening here, certainly not saying this is always what happens, but what could be happening is that they are afraid or uncomfortable or irritated or whatever with not knowing something, so they just pick whatever is handy. And so you know, boy, they were raised in the Christian Church. Oh perfect, right there, there's my explanation God. Well what does that mean? Oh, I don't know. God's mysterious. Oh okay, it doesn't really give you. It's not very satisfying answer if you if you look under the hood, it doesn't really there's not much there.
Speaker 7: No, not much there. But the thing is, religion provides such a nicely prepackaged set of answers. And you have to imagine these were created over thousands of years of religious I don't know, I don't want to call it religious science, but yeah, I think you get.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, religious is good at producing attractive nothing.
Speaker 7: Yes, and like fifteen hundred years later, two thousand years later, and then you have this endless book of answers like and for humans it's so easy to actually just go to that because that's the less challenging thing, that's the more familiar thing. That's what they were brought up to hear and m It's it's tricky, but just like you said, for us humans, it's it's it's the easy answer out. It's like, oh yeah, God, yeah, he told.
Speaker 2: Me to Gee, I've been talking for a little while here, you have any more to add to AJ's questions?
Speaker 4: Here?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think that you handled them pretty well. You know, the hard problem of consciousness and interacting with theists and religious people in general on that is is always going to be a bit aggravating because and I think that it's aggravating because of their presumptions, like they're but and I think the presumptions are due to their their incredulity when it comes to the complex you know, ne neurological or neuroscience that goes into understanding like your brain. And I don't I'm not claiming to be like an expert in any of that, but I do understand that, like, and it like one particular instance you might want to use whenever talking about this is the curious case of Phineas Gauge. Phineas Gauge had a pipe that was like driven through his I think it was like up under his chin and through his head. And what it did was is it changed the structure of his brain. It damaged his brain in a way that it changed his personality and it changed which essentially means changing his consciousness, right, changed everything about him. And so like, that's one case that you can point to that's like, see, that's how we know that the consciousness is tied to this physical non non conscious thing or unconscious thing or whatever like it just something that isn't conscious is changing the consciousness actively. You can see that in real time. So I mean, I know that you were looking for like real world examples, and I think that you know you would probably need to look at examples similar to that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that makes sense. I could imagine what kind of argument they could say to that, But I don't know if we have the time to go into something.
Speaker 4: More or if you guys have other calls.
Speaker 7: But I can go through and try to steal man that idea, because they would say, essentially, well, Sinius Gage, is what happened was with something along the lines of his consciousness that never changed. What changed was basically brain damage made him crazy kind of thing. Because consciousness means that they're still alive, they have a soul and then that keeps their heart beating and they were still to survive and live afterwards. But what happened case, it's just a case.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but so right right, But but Phineas Gage wasn't like crazy as far as I understand it, like is and and crazy, I'm using crazy like that is a bit non specific, you know, like yeah, so I wouldn't describe it as crazy. But also I would say that if somebody starts suffering from some kind of mental illness, that's and it changes their behavior, changes their personality and everything like that, Like that is changing your consciousness. Like that structural or chemical change in your brain is actively changing your consciousness. And so that's the non conscious or unconscious physical things that are having a real effect on your brain state right on this emergent consciousness. And that's because consciousness derives from those complex interactions in your in your physical brain, in your phys body. Now there are you were talking about how you know your brain is needed to like keep your heart beating and to breathe and all this other stuff. And I mean that's true. But with the Phineas gauge example, the part of the brain that was changed by the pipe was not that particular part of the brain that controls like all those baser things, right. I believe that it only affected his like prefrontal cortex, like right here in the front where your where your personality actually sort of lives. If you will, well, you know that part of your brain is what controls that aspect of your of your consciousness. So like I wouldn't say like that. If you know anything about the brain, there's there's the conscious part of your brain, and then there's a subconscious part that you're not exactly actively aware, and that includes like like the the I forget, I forget what what system that is. But it's a system of your brain that controls all the things that you don't even think about. Right, And so when we talk about consciousness, we're typically just talking about personality, and so those are different parts of the brain.
Speaker 7: Mm hmmm, Yeah, I see what you mean, because I guess we're for for theists of that part of the world. They would see that the soul is what basically keeps you.
Speaker 4: Alive, and.
Speaker 7: Whether you have brain damage or you have some mental issues or things like that, that does not really change your consciousness per se about it. What it changes is like your your behavior. So they would separate it in a way that makes it a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I guess well, because they would say, well, what what I would press press them on? There is a couple of things I would press them on. What is a soul? Like how are you defining soul? Because the way that you describe soul there just makes it seem like it's part of a that system, that that that one system of your brain that controls like your heartbeating and everything like that. But that can't be the soul because typically souls are tied to your personality. So like, I don't know, I would pressure them on on defining what a soul is and being able to actually suss that out, like like where does the soul actually live and all that other kind of stuff. But I would say that your behavior and all that that is your consciousness, like that that that is a you know what your consciousness is. It's your behavior, it's your personality, it's it's all of that. That's what your consciousness is. So like to say that you know your behavior isn't your consciousness or something, I feel like that's just not a true statement.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that makes sense. And it's even like I'm familiar with the these clonic texts and even even there, uh, there's a story of like where where someone is asked, so, what what is what is the soul? And then the answer in the book is, well, the soul is something that only God knows. And at that point it's like Okay, well, thank you, that doesn't help. But but then they start creating all of these layers of understanding on top of that that just just never actually materializes. But even if you press them on it, they'd say, well, even in our religion, we don't know what consciousness really is. It's something that mysteriously God just brings into existence. It's a mysterious process.
Speaker 1: My question there then would be, if you, if you can't know anything about the soul, then why are you claiming to know that the soul controls certain aspects of your body?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Like you're I really wish I knew what system that was called. It's really bugging me right now. I'm gonna have to look it up here in a second. But like, because it feels like you're it's a bit contradictory there. It's like, oh, we don't know what a soul is, only God knows, but also we know that the soul is controls these things. Like that's a bit contradictory.
Speaker 7: Right, yeah, because in a way, the way they would describe it as basically, that's what keeps you alive, and when you die, you essentially the soul leaves your body, and that's how everything stops, your your, your, your, your consciousness stops.
Speaker 2: Sounds like they're trying to sneak the soul in though it's the same thing that happened before. You know, how did God get on the list? How did the soul get on the list?
Speaker 7: First?
Speaker 2: Show me a soul exists. First show me that there is such things as a soul. Then we can examine what do souls do? But if we don't even have any evidence that souls exist, talking about what a soul could do, for example, the effects on Phineas Gage, if that was affected because of some interaction with this soul. Like I I've heard the you know, the arguments that you were presenting. Maybe the brain is kind of the tool that the soul uses to manipulate the body, and that kind of argument. But tell me, how do you know a soul exists?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: There's they're sneaking that in as well. They're trying to give another what else could it be? Argument when they were when you really should be asking what could it be? Right, So soul doesn't get a free pass onto the list, at least not in my book.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that makes sense because yeah, at the end of the day, all of these are and and and it boils down to the who makes the argument has to actually present the evidence. Yeah, right, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not Yeah, that's pretty common. Pretty common thing we see around here too, is the shifting of the burden of proof. If somebody is going to make a statement that they that they know something, then they should be able to back it up. If they don't want to back it up, then they're either you know, being hasty and maybe even dangerous in their own policies, or maybe they're diverting, maybe they're deflecting, and so you know, it's it's so just you know, keep pressing in that direction. If they're they can't start talking about thing the properties of things without even knowing that those things exist, Yeah, and and and and by doing that, by sneaking that in, you know, if they sneak it in at the beginning of the conversation, then later on when you get to the point, well what else could it be? Right, then, Oh, that's that's the only thing on our list. And I think that's an issue. And I think that's you know, that's logically fallacious.
Speaker 7: M hm, yep, that makes sense, Thank you so much. I don't know if you ended up finding what that other system was called.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, Kat, our backup host Kelly got it to me. It's the autonomic nervous system. Yeah, is what that is. Yeah, autonomic it's what it's what automatically controls like all of your bodily organs and systems and everything like that.
Speaker 2: I think that's mostly kind of in the brain stem or the cerebellum if I remember back way back to my psychology one of one days.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm not going to test you guys on that.
Speaker 6: I'll leave you to it.
Speaker 7: But no, thank you so much. Again, this is a pleasant conversation and thanks for being there. Honestly, on a whim, I was having this conversation and I was like, wait, let me check if the atheist experience our lives and you guys, thanks again.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, thank you AJ for calling in. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 7: All right, we'll have yourself really nice day.
Speaker 2: Thank you. All right, thanks Aga, you did the same.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, we don't have anybody in the queue, but if you're in the chats any of the chants, feel free to request up right now, the first one to call in will get to talk to us. Uh, and uh so, the phone number is five one two nine nine nine two four to two. You can call in there or you can request up over there on the tickety talk right and if you're in the chat on the tickety Talk, it would really help us out if you would continue liking the stream over there and doing the same for the vertical over there on the YouTube. I think that we could probably bring up our backup host, Kelly right now and see what Kelly thinks about these two conversations that we had.
Speaker 2: If I didn't like, Hey, how you guys doing pretty good?
Speaker 1: So Kelly, what'd you think about our conversations today?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 9: Well, Steph was in incoherent I mean it was I had no idea what he was talking about most of the time. And you know he mentioned he had taken several decades to come to these conclusions. I think maybe you need to take another decade to think about how you want to communicate your idea because you're not doing that well of a well of a job doing it right now. I'm not saying your ideas are wrong or bad, You're just not communicating them well. And then AJ, I think you guys covered it with AJ I the the problem was that he's not that as Scott mentioned, that the person he's talking to is sneaking in the stuff soul. He's sneaking in god right, and AJ needs to ask that guy, ask the person he's talking to for the proof of these things that he's sneaking in. And like I said, you guys already covered that, and I just don't really have much to it because that was the crux of the problem right there. So so yeah, that's that's about it.
Speaker 2: For me, kind of going off of what you were just saying, Kelly, I think that overcoming assumptions is really a difficult thing, and this is something I run in even in my daytime life as a math teacher. You know, people come into these preconceived notions and they've always worked that particular way. Human for example, human beings feel like they have a pretty good understanding about ratio and proportion and that kind of thing, but we really don't. And you know, we have a very limited, you know, ability to make judgments along that those lines, but we really can't. And it's hard to convince somebody that they're that their intuitions along those lines are wrong. Just in the same thing here, if somebody's gone through their whole life assuming that there's God, they don't realize that that's what they're assuming. And so you know, sometimes just pointing it out can make a difference. Sometimes not, but you know, you take a shot, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right right, you know, and I really yeah, I think that pointing out the fact that or relying their whole argument is relying on something that they can't prove to begin with, And of course they're going to try to turn that back on you, Well, you can't prove evolution. Well maybe I cannot one hundred percent prove it, but I've got ninety percent scurity with the evidence that we do have, and you just don't have that with God, you know.
Speaker 1: So well yeah, and I would say typically whenever a theist or religious person tries to put me on the defensive about evolution or any of the points that we make, I usually try to just immediately turn it back around on them, because the thing that they're asking me to seriously consider is like, well, here's this scientific theory. Like let's say we can't prove the scientific theory, like there's just no proof of it at all, but it makes sense with how we understand reality versus a literal wizard? Did it?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Those are the two options there? Like this is crazy? Yeah, we got Luke Riley that sent in a super chat says another great show. Thanks to all involved. Thank you so much there.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate the super chats. We love getting super chats here, definitely. Yeah, we do have one caller that's screening in, so we're just gonna bide some time while they get done screening and uh oh they just got up here. It's going to be a friendly call, so it'll be a nice call to go out on a nice little palate cleanser for everybody the rest of everybody's day. So we're going to talk to Ben from Connecticut.
Speaker 6: Ben.
Speaker 1: Hey there, Ben, Hi, Ben.
Speaker 6: I saw you had no callers, and I tell you I would give you my deconstruction story. It's kind of amusing.
Speaker 2: I like amusing. Okay, well here, yeah, amuse us, all right, I go for it.
Speaker 6: All right. When I was a kid, excuse me, my father had to work all the time, so he worked with our past his pastor's son, and he would come over every Sunday. The pastor would pick me up take me to church. And I did that from I don't know, since I guess from eight to twelve. And then I hit that twelve range, and you know, I really didn't want to go. Man. I had enough.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 6: It was summertime. I want to go out with my friends, you know, play ball, all that kind of stuff. So when he showed up to pick me up on that Sunday, I told him, yeah, I'd like to go, but I don't have any clothes, and he goes okay, And unbeknownst to me, they had a fundraiser for us because we had no clothes. I had no clothes, and the next Monday, the next day, they showed up with a pickup truck full of baskets of clothes, food, toys, you name it. And my mother would ballistic. She could not believe that because she was trying to explain to them, now he made that up, he didn't want to go. And I guess they didn't believe her because they kept showing up every week for like a month bringing us stuff. I guess because they thought we were in poverty, they couldn't take care of the kids, that sort of thing. And of course I got my ass beat by my own man. But the funny part was, you know, my parents were cool about it. After they beat me. Of course, they said, lookten, you didn't want.
Speaker 2: To aig caveat on that cool?
Speaker 6: Exactly. If you don't want to go to church, that's fine. Just don't lie about the family. Okay, I said, deal, I didn't have to go anymore. And the other funny part was, even though they were so angry, I had enough clothes to last me all through high school. They brought so much stuff and that's how I ended up never going to another church, you know, except for weddings, funerals, that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: How did that affect your relationship with your parents after that?
Speaker 6: Oh? God, no, No, they were cool. They were just so upset that I embarrassed the crap out of them.
Speaker 2: You know, wait, you embarrassed them by not believing in God, or by letting these people believe that you were in need?
Speaker 6: That is the yeah, the latter. Okay, Yeah, they weren't particularly religious themselves. I just kind of got involved with it when I was young, and you know, it was kind of cool, you know, even though I had to go to Sunday School and all that stuff. When I learned about the Bible, YadA, YadA YadA, to give my testimony and all that stuff. But you know, when you're a kid, you don't really think that much about it. You just go because it was something to do, you know, and plus i'd get lunch. It was kind of a neat thing.
Speaker 2: But you know what part of what part of that caused your deconstruction then? Was it? Was it?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: I just didn't want to go to church anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So it goes deeper deeper than was originally. So you would you ever consider yourself to be a theist at any point?
Speaker 6: Just when I was a child, okay, And I really didn't understand it, so it doesn't really count. I guess.
Speaker 2: I'm sure a lot of people would definitely count that. Oh okay, maybe not us here, but I know many churches go they their their definition of who's part of our flock and who's not can be you know, it can be very wide and broad.
Speaker 6: That's true. I must say, though, Scott, you have a very good sense of humor. I've been listening to you today. You were doing so well against someone in who's.
Speaker 2: Well give me time. I can break you. I can break you, true.
Speaker 6: And I've been following Godless for a long time. But I've seen you around. I haven't really went on your channel if you have one, what would that be called?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 6: For me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Mostly I'm just I'm one of the hosts on Talk Heathen and occasionally on Ethics Experience, and when when they'll let me, I try to go on truth want it every once in a while.
Speaker 6: Oh I see, So you just float around. You don't have a particular channel to tune in.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't. I don't. I'm not nearly as prolific as as ge here.
Speaker 6: Oh god, yeah, I'm in deconstruction and Matt, there's nobody else out there that is so freaking dedicated and they're so good at it. Yeah, that's one of them, you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever been grouped amongst those other two like that before. So I I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Problem. Actually I was following you before I followed them.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know I appreciate that. I mean, yeah, No, I'm I'm glad that I've been able to have, you know, a positive effect on your Deconstruction experience because I mean I say that because like I feel I find that even now myself I'm deconstructing like still, it's an ongoing process for me at least.
Speaker 6: M really surprised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean after, well after I deconstructed from religion and deconstructed from Christianity growing up in the South, I had a lot of like internalized things outside of religion that I really had to deconstruct for myself, like some internalized misogyny type stuff, some internalized i'll say, at racism that was kind of inherent because of where I grew up at. I mean, I grew up in in North Alabama, and you know, with very racist sort of family members, and they ingrained certain ideas in me that I really had to confront later on in life. And I found myself confronting that as I got exposed to you know, other people through uh school, through like you know, both public school education as well as uh, you know college, and so like I've had there's been a number of like internalized like social aspects that I've had to deconstruct from. And I mean I'm still I take every every niche that exists out there. I try to I try to really carefully examine my preconceptions about different things, and I try to be better about it, you know, and so like I find myself just slowly deconstructing from a lot of different points of views.
Speaker 6: No, I understand. I actually kind of had like a bit of a similar experience, not quite as bad. My parents are from Tennessee, you know. After they got married, they moved up to Cincinnati, Ohio, and that's really it's kind of Ritteneck too, if you know what I mean. It's just across the border from Kentucky. And they, yeah, they were they're pretty racist growing up, and you know, they I kind of picked that up quite a bit, not so much when I was in high school because Cincinnati there's a large group of African American population there, so you know, I was thrown into the mix with them, and you know, it kind of turned me around on that. And then when I went into the military, I just served with a lot of different people and I just I threw that yoke off after that. It never even occurred to me. But the weird thing was, excuse me, when I got back from the military. It took me a few years hanging out with my parents to kind of point out every time they would mentioned something like that, you know, something about the brothers or even women in general. I would say, Mom, Dad, that's why you know you want to feel that way, that's your thing, but don't talk like that in front of me, okay, And after a while they didn't, and I think they kind of turned around on it a little bit, you know, before they passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think that you know, gently pushing back especially on like family members that you're that close with and everything. I think gently pushing back like that and getting them like it because I know for me, like it's like I didn't realize the things that I was saying or the things that I was thinking was harmful you know in a way. And it wasn't until somebody was like, hey, you know that's kind of bad, Like that's a bad thing to like think and say. And so it was like for me, it was like surprising, like oh that I definitely wasn't trying to be that way, like let me re examine that. And so, like I it was it was people that you know, would mention it to me and be like, hey, that's actually bad, you know for me. So that's that's why I in my conversations in my effort here here on AXP as well as other venues, you know, like my TikTok and everything. I typically try to challenge people on those preconceptions, on those notions that they have, and that's why I typically run with this one argument that theists Christians specifically don't like at all, and they pushed back so hard on it. And it's the fact that Mary was great. And the reason why I like to mention that, bring it up and service it to them is that it touches on so many different aspects of like women's experience, just in our society in general, the whole concept of consent. It seems to be foreign to a lot of people. They don't understand did especially when you throw a theological context on top of it. It's it's like their mind just goes blank and they forget about it. And I think that surfacing those issues and bringing those issues to light it can hopefully, you know, at least cause some people out there to rethink those those positions and that they have, because I was in that position at one point in time, and if somebody didn't say something to me about it, then I would still be doing in that internalized misogyny and internalized racism and all this stuff. So I convenge you for you know, standing up, using your voice and doing it in a way that positively affected another person.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, you know it's weird too, because well a little bit weird. My sisters they were never racist, no one time. And I kind of carried that into uh all the way to junior high school because I was so ingreanted with it. Now I was the oldest all that kind of stuff. And but yeah, I think I did a good job with my parents, and you know, they were pretty cool. They were great parents, don't get me wrong. They treated me like a king when they weren't beating me as a child, of course.
Speaker 3: But there's a.
Speaker 2: Little disconnect happening there.
Speaker 9: I think it's kind of the thing to do back then, as they had parents of beacha and.
Speaker 2: I suppose the norm right, right, Yeah, where's the harmon religion? Right? You spare the rod, spoil the child, right, that's it. No, I don't think so I'll pass on that, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: It's a Southern thing, though it definitely is prevalent there. You know, spare the rod, you know, all that jazz.
Speaker 2: They're making a strong argument for me to stay in Minnesota.
Speaker 6: I'm hip.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the weird things was when I got out of college in Ohio, when I, you know, I got a job up here in Connecticut. That was many, many years ago, of course, but when I was moving some of my friends they were like, oh, you're going to Connecticut. Oh okay, that's interesting, you know. And then when I would come back from a visit, they would say things like, so you live in Connecticut. Now, what's it like to be a communist? I'm like, what now, man, it doesn't work that way. There are plenty of rednecks here too, in Connecticut. They're all around. Just because you live up north, you know, on the East Coast, doesn't mean you're a damn communist. Okay, but yeah, there's a lot of strong feelings about the Northeast out in the Midwest. But anyway, I'm glad you guys were able to talk to me. It was great talking to you, and I hope you have a great rest of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much, Ben, Thanks for calling.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for calling Ben, great story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for calling in. Ben. It was great talking to you, and I hope you'll call in sometime in the future if you got any questions.
Speaker 6: All right, Yeah, well, oh I say one last thing. Excuse me when you mentioned the bringing up what happened to Mary? And I've watched you guys do that in action. It's chef's kiss primo, just to hear in their voices like well, you know, well she wanted to Yeah, yeah, ticket, it was a privilege. Yeah, yeah, that's a ticket. They got no argument.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's particularly disgusting, I guess in like whenever they make the argument that oh she liked it or oh she wanted it or something like that, like it really kind of highlights that internalized misogyny that makes them like put that on the text, like they have to insert that information on there in order for it to make sense.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, well, well done, guys, you're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. Ben. I hope you have an awesome day and we'll talk to you later, all right.
Speaker 6: I will, indeed, and you as well all.
Speaker 2: Have a good day. Ben.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 9: See Ben, you know, God bless you said something during that call that really struck me. You were talking about how you had some inherent racism and misogyny because of the area you were raised and the people you were raised by. And you you mentioned that you didn't know a better and that is so true of a lot of people who I meet who are still stuck in that in that mindset that they really honestly don't think that what they're saying is wrong. And I want to commend you for educating yourself enough to realize that what you were saying was wrong. What you're saying and doing and acting upon, and I think more people need to do that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I totally agree. And I mean, this isn't like that particular part of my deconstruction is definitely not recent, Like this was very much like back when I was like reconsidering like everything, back in like twenty two thousand and nine, twenty ten something like that. I had already been in college for a long time and it was kind of a slow process, but it was kind of like that timeframe that I was like really reconsidering everything and really recognizing like, oh, yeah, you know that joke my uncle used to tell that was incredibly racist and not funny whatsoever, Right, Like, it definitely was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that way back in the days when you were just a godless engineering major?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it more than likely it wasn't when I was a godless engineering major, but I was a very god full engineering engineering student, you know. Just but I always describe myself as very laxadaisical in my belief, Like I would go in and out of like deep belief, but like it was never something that was like constant kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: So, but we are at the end of our show. Thank you so much Kelly for being our backup today. I really appreciate you being here and everything. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 9: I was a little late, but still thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you know, as far as like an outro goes, you know, I hope that everybody has an awesome weekend. Normally I tell people to stand up, use your voice and all that kind of good shit, because I think that that's what we definitely need to do. And I think Ben, our last caller, there was a good example of that. Standing up, using your voice to positively affect other people or affect change in our society, I think is the best way to go about it. So wherever you go, whatever you do, stand up, use your voice, uh, and be that change that you want to see. Not to be too cliche about.
Speaker 2: It, do it, do it, just do it. Somebody should say that.
Speaker 10: Way to start alby y stop questioning the bulls everyone around your bias. They should say, JP Walkle Domsie eund David.
Speaker 4: Of Your.
Speaker 5: Watch Talk Even live Sundays at one pm Central. Visit tiny dot c c slash y t t H and call into the show at five one two nine nine one nine two four two, or connect to the show online at tiny dot c c slash.
Speaker 7: Call th H
Speaker 1: If youse stream has stop recording