Speaker 1: Report to Transporter Room three.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brian, here, I need you in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 1: This is the Captain. Meet me in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 3: Join us in Transporter Room three.
Speaker 1: Captain. We're heading for Transporter Room three. This is your favorite transport room, isn't it. You're listening to Transporter Room three with your hosts Phil Perello and Soak Laura Energize.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Transporter Room three DS nine edition. Mister Scott, how are you?
Speaker 1: Wow? Man? You said that with such a conviction, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. It's been a little while this episode we're gonna be talking about today. Maybe just were horses. No, just it's We're continuing our commentary series on season two, episode two, the part two of the part three of the three part premiere of DAS nine. I was trying to do a literation thing there Star Trek, Deep Space, Lines of the Circle, the middle chapter of an epic three parter premiere that held Little Me hostage back when this originally aired in ninety four. Yeah, guy, so yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that what it was? Ninety five? Wait?
Speaker 2: It has it been thirty years?
Speaker 1: We should know this?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, sorry, I was around ninety three October.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety three. Okay, okay, right right, yeah, god, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because January ninety three was DAS nine's premiere and then season two came. Wow, those guys barely.
Speaker 4: Had a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, it wasn't it. I feel like I've heard them say, like, yeah, we'd get would go on vacation for like two weeks, and then we'd be right back, right back in the writer's room, you know, so like crazy grinding on like twenty six scripts.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd need a month up. I need summer Vaca. Baby.
Speaker 1: Well, this is why you wind up with masks and if wishes were horses, right right, Okay, before we get started, everyone queue up the episode because this is going to be a commentary. But before we get started on that, I did want to just quickly shout out to our Patreon subscribers who are at the Transporter room, chief level and higher. Thank you for your support. Guys. It's Adrian Huber, bud Garso, Gregory Sandoval, doctor beat Mark Bowder, William Baxley, Ben Yune, and Jalbadar. I never know if I'm pronouncing that one correctly or not.
Speaker 4: I don't either. I hope we are.
Speaker 1: But yeah, thank you for your support Transport Room Transporter Room chiefs, and thank you to everyone who supports us on Patreon. As we've said before, you guys could head over there. There is a ton of exclusive content on our Patreon Like we've got like I don't know how many episodes now, a bunch and a lot of exclusive interviews, episode commentaries, movie commentaries. Check it out, you know. The thank you to everyone who subscribes. But even if you don't subscribe, thank you for listening to Transport Room three anyway, because we've got good stuff on this feed too, right, just to self promote, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Offspring freaks his first episode directing of TG.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're in thirty five and.
Speaker 2: We have in our archives a great interview with him about the making of that. The Visitor also celebrated a big milestone, Yes, yes, and we have an interview with the writer of that, Michael Taylor. So give those, give those a listen game. It's a you can't get them anywhere else. Glorious trekxperts.
Speaker 1: Hashtag not bitter and uh yeah you're my Your two parter with Michael Kuda went up recently. Yeah, it's a great, great listen on that one where he talks about a bunch of different stuff, everything from the movies to Voyager.
Speaker 2: And we're working on getting a few other Trek notaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, always working on those. So okay, so should we start this episode. I'm cued up to the zero zero point zero zero zero one?
Speaker 2: Or are you doing the destruct code?
Speaker 1: I was doing the distruct code, but the inflection of yours was very much the Picard authorization code.
Speaker 4: Zero zero one.
Speaker 1: Oh that's Bookard just talking about this about the sector zero zero one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you reach middle age, you're allowed to quote locutas on your Star Trek podcast. Well, I mean I heard it, and you know, I've never had asthma before until just now. I hailary manifested, I got a retainer, gone now.
Speaker 2: A MANI pack even.
Speaker 1: I'm you know what, may Inhaler disappeared because I didn't get the reference immediately. H I'm really embarrassed by that, Like I thought that we were going to destruct code.
Speaker 2: Well, at least you still have your pocket protector.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start this episode, and you guys, right, you guys ready on a countdown of three two one, all right, ready three two one, play last last time Space nine.
Speaker 2: Wait and now the continuation had always got me like, ooh ooh, we never heard that before. So this episode was written by the great late Peter Allen Fields. Yes, it aired three two years ago next week, October third, nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Peter Allen Fields, who was one of the He's not as as like name recognizable as some of the other Trek writers, but he was one of the integral guys in the development of Deep Space line. He was older than the other guys I think, and I know Iris Stephen Bear for one, definitely considered him a sort of a mentor figure while they when they work together on this show.
Speaker 2: Right, we also have an interview with Iris Stephen Bear on our site from twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Wow, holy caah, holy cow. Who did that interview me?
Speaker 2: It was celebrating some Star Trek milestones.
Speaker 1: Okay, Right?
Speaker 2: I also think we have one from ninety three from twenty twenty three, the three yeth anniversary of a Team of a DS night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I interviewed him for one of the anniversaries, I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Frank Glinjela uncredited, He didn't want the credit, just wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: I still don't get why he would want to be uncredited, but.
Speaker 2: He's a very solid performance here. I think it was because it was just something for his children. He just wanted to do something for them because they were a fan, or his grandchildren something like that.
Speaker 4: Wow, they finally such a great villain on this.
Speaker 1: Yes he is great. Yeah, well he has the kai Win there's a certain brand of Bajurin villain, which is the like sort of disarming but so annoyingly hateful. I'm posing as a good guy even though I'm really terrible villain. So, win Rick Colb, I'm going to drop a few quotes from the speaking of Trexperts, whatever the hell it's called, the Mark Oltman Edward Gross book The Fifty Year Mission, the second book, The Next twenty five Years. Drop a few quotes Winrick Colb, the director, he said, Frank Langella scared the shit out of me. There's a mytho, there's a mythology around him. He's a tremendous actor, and he's got those dark brown eyes that seemed to strip you bare of anything that you're wearing emotionally or literally. When when he popped up on the first bit we started rehearsing, and I figured this guy could be trouble because there's something in him that tells you watch that guy. If you tell him what to do, he might just tell you to fuck off. But he didn't. He was terrific. So that is good. Especially, I guess when you're not take getting your credit or and you're working for Scale or whatever, maybe right you're really in a position to say, funck off, I'm Dracula, bitch, I'm skeletor so where so where we left off, because I know it's been been a minute since we talked about part one of this three parter, But basically Kira was removed from her position and Lee Knollis Richard Bimer was was was made Cisco's liaison to Deep Space nine.
Speaker 2: And this is also sorry Scott, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, just real quick. Cisco was pissed about it, and he still is. But but Frank Glinngela's character basically sold it as, oh no, it's a promotion for for Major Kira, so that Cisco backed kind of back down. But obviously things are messed up.
Speaker 2: And that scene was the first appearance of Cisco's baseball on his desk.
Speaker 1: Really mm hmm, that was it? That was not in season one?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: What yeah? I know, right's more circle, more graffiti.
Speaker 1: More graffiti. Can't they do a biometric scan of everyone on the station to find who has residue while the.
Speaker 2: Opening titles plays. Speaking of Lee Naals a bit ago, writer Peter Allen Fields had some issue with the character. He felt that the character became lost in somewhat uh superfluous in this episode and later in the three parter The Siege. To quote Alan Fields, originally he was supposed to be this regular guy, not a coward, but a regular guy who had fought some battles. And then by the time we got to the third episode, this guy would stand up and be counted. But for various reasons, he never really changed his tune. He was an okay guy in part one, Part two, and part three. There was no arc for this character whatsoever. H and I Receiven Bear agrees in the Star Trek DS nine companion he did get a little lost in parts two and three.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I remember when we were recording the first episode for this Ira Steven Barr wasn't particularly fond of the performance either, right.
Speaker 2: He felt it was a little flat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I think the episode still works regardless of what your opinions are of that performance.
Speaker 4: Like this whole three this three parter is.
Speaker 1: A sign Yeah, definitely. Yeah. Hey, by the way, oh go ahead.
Speaker 2: We do this a lot. This is fun.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, Alexander Sidik, I just spotted him. I'm catching up finally on the last bits of Foundation season three, and he popped. He had a very brief role in season one. He showed up in like, I feel like, one scene in one episode in season one. But he's back in a somewhat expanded role in season three, playing his own his own descendant because it's like takes place hundreds of years after season one. Uh, and so he's back. So I'm always glad when I see that those guys pop up in non star Trek stuff, not not just having to go to conventions to make a living, you know, right, this is a fun scene for what is a pretty heavy episode, right, I mean, you know, the whole this whole three parter is pretty heavy in terms of what's going on. But this is a fun, fun kind of you know it feels like it could be in a sitcom if he didn't know any better. Everyone's popping in one of the time to kind of either wish cure goodbye or to try to convince her to stay.
Speaker 2: Someone should have convinced Odo not to go with that hair. They still had to figure out who it was hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he doesn't have the collar yet on the uniform. He gets the collar. I think in season three, Season three. I guess it's the year of the collar in nineties track because that's when the next gen guys got their collars too, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, speaking of this scene, Fields, he based the scene on one that appeared in the nineteen thirty five film A Night at the Opera starring the Marx Brothers.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The director of this episode, Corey Allen, shot this scene in one continuous, uninterrupted take. When the episode was edited edited together, however, the scene was intercut with various close ups and reverse angles. Okay, the master shot of the scene was one long take.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you can.
Speaker 2: Tell when they cut to the why, like, that's pretty great that this was all a.
Speaker 4: Big wonner, that it wasn't the full winner.
Speaker 1: It's cool, it's it's a. It's almost like, you know, it's almost like he was they were they were trying to do a little bit more than they could pull off for the Eric. I think there's a lot of characters in this scene on and you're shooting on a four point three aspect raio four three aspect ratio, right, so you're having to crowd them all into a pretty tight space. So that's why you wind up having this shot where like Kira's got her back to them kind of like it's a it's not the most eloquently staged scene because of that, I think, but it's fun it also, does you know it also like so you're now you're you're at the start of season two. Here these characters who will start it off as you know, really be keeping each other all at arm's length in a way.
Speaker 2: Right surreal?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, you have the star Starfleaders who are star leaders. But then you've got Odo is is this man alone? I think that's even the name of an episode, it is, right, a man alone. That's an Odo episode, right, And then you obviously have the Bajorans are over here, and then Kira is over here from the Bajarrens. You know, she uh and then the Quark Quark, right, and and now here they are like they're they're they're a cohesive whether they like to admit it or not, at this point, they're kind of they're all friends in the sort of cohesive unit, even Quark and this.
Speaker 2: You could not do this scene on any other show but this, Yeah, Jilly, where this dynamic would allow something like this to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true. I also like Kia Kura's you know, she's had various uniform changes over the seven seasons, but like I always like this undershirt or whatever it.
Speaker 2: Is, like the hammock like crossed itch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, below the neck. Yeah. Now, I can't remember is this Vedic Barile's first appearance or did he pop up last season?
Speaker 4: This might be his.
Speaker 2: Well, his name is misspelled in the opening credits, is it. It's spelled b a r i e L in the opening title credits after the title of the episode, but it's supposed to be b a r e i L. That's the only time it's miss spelled when when it appears when he is.
Speaker 4: On the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I think you said last his hair, Look how thick this guy's hair is. Did you say that, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: He's yeah, it's a balding man. I'm just I'm I'm I spot man with thick care. I won't have my problem.
Speaker 1: He's the original hot priest.
Speaker 2: His original hot priest. Yes, this outfit looks comfidie outfits. I bet it's itchy at shit though in the Hot life.
Speaker 4: Okay, so a little bit interesting angle too.
Speaker 2: We never see this angle again in Ops.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that is different, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Allan shot the shit out of this. He was a great star trek director.
Speaker 1: I like it too because it's like Kira has the Ops has been her home for however long, and now she's not welcome there anymore. It's like it's an alien place to her in a way, it's not. It's not welcoming anymore.
Speaker 2: And that framing implies that, yeah, that she's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, see I went to film school, man, I'm smart. So this is what Michael Pillar said about this. The first three parter that kicked off the season was a commitment to say, hey, look at us, look at what we can do. It was, in a sense, supposed to do for us what best of both worlds had done for next gen. I think that we succeeded. Those three shows really did show the breath of ambition of storytelling that we were able to do in The special effects were terrific, the guest stars were great, and the credibility was there.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Hey, Lee n Allis looks pretty good in that uniform too. Actually it looks a little baggy.
Speaker 2: It looks like I'm wearing my dad's suit the eighth grade homecoming.
Speaker 4: A little bit, a little bit right, like a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't have size too big, you know, I can't. I can't argue. I like the style though. I like the I like the I.
Speaker 2: Love the color. I love Yeah, I love the vibe of these costumes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like I'm not sure if I don't, I'm not sure if we've seen that version of the Bijar uniform like that before. The uniforms are way better than the Starfleet uniforms on.
Speaker 2: This Yes they are. These uniforms look more like TNG esque star Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're more formal.
Speaker 4: I never was a fan of this uniform me neither.
Speaker 1: And then when they put them on the next gen people in generations, it was like, get the fuck out of right.
Speaker 2: The uniforms they did for uh first contact and then reincorporated back on d S nine like those are ye that's their monster maroon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that. Yeah. And I love that continuity too, where they were like they were like, no, yeah, well you know what, Deep like Deep Space nine will get these uniforms too at the appropriate time, because it's like they've become standards and like, and Voyager didn't get them because they didn't know jack shit about them because they were on the other side of the universe. And then eventually when they I think it was when they finally started talking to Barclay or whatever through the long range and path finder. Yeah, yeah, yeah, then they were like they were like, all right, we'll be We'll bet me the specs. Yeah. You know it's like, uh, you can you could probably pick up the pattern that at your at your local fabric store. And yeah.
Speaker 2: Always I was surprised that that wasn't like a B or C story on the show. You know, let's make let's have a uniform contest with like Naomi Wildman or something like that just designed the new uniforms and and Neglos has to make them, but the people has to go to get the fabrics he runs into trouble right right right, something like that.
Speaker 1: You know I'd be there for it. Uh. So, speaking of uniforms, I do not like Kira's outfit here, not to turn this into project.
Speaker 2: Her terrace uh meets farmer attire. And also I would not be wearing that outfit that close to water. You could scrape the little if if you miss a step on those little stepping stones.
Speaker 1: Yet done, well, it gets real heavy, real fast because it's soaking wet at that point. Right, yes, but Kira's never She's anyone trying to get Kia to make a rock garden or whatever. She was just doing like you know, the just this is not Kira, right, this is not the way, you know, not to go a stray. But uh, we were telling my kid about the two vis episode of Voyager.
Speaker 4: How do you respond to that?
Speaker 1: He was like, he was fascinated by it, and we went so we wound up actually watching it. We showed it to so we should do it on the podcast sometime. I think we somehow have never done that one, which is surprising. Yeah we should. Yeah, it's an interesting one to go back and watch.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some more on on this episode from the from the writers I R. Steven Burr said, Michael, back from his days as a network executive, is definitely a man who is into publicity. And he said, you know, we didn't do a cliffhanger. Let's do a three parter. Let's do three and let's jump off from in the Hands of the Profits. And since I have to relate everything to either a book or a movie in my life, it seems I said so in other words, and the Hands of the Prophets is the Hobbit, and now we're going to do the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I don't know if he knew what I was talking about, but that's that's how I saw it. So, yeah, I wonder how these Bajoran sets worked, because they they they use them, but not that like that. They pop up throughout the seasons, but not that often is it? So I don't think they're standing sets. But I wonder did they just have they have chunk Bajoran chunks of set that they just put off to the side and then throw together a room as needed.
Speaker 2: Oh, perhaps, yes.
Speaker 1: It's probably something like that, right.
Speaker 2: The Temple set is we see versions of this thrap the show. They were just like do regresses of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because arts we kind of.
Speaker 2: Become the Yeah. And when they're viewing the ORB on DS.
Speaker 1: Nine, right yep. And that that big Bajoran symbol in the background and they're behind the ORB right now, Uh that you throw that on the set and suddenly you've got a bijorn set.
Speaker 4: I guess right right, that's all you need.
Speaker 2: It's just a little graphic.
Speaker 1: So can you name every ORB right now?
Speaker 2: Time m Destiny, No, Scott, thanks, Compelling Radio. We just made it here.
Speaker 4: Can you name them?
Speaker 1: Well? You have the uh, you have space time uh Power? What's the one that that protein I'm naming the Infinity Gauntlet. Actually that might be gross similarities there.
Speaker 2: Gross, This is a creepy vision to the way it's shot and lit. I always did appreciate how they lit the the ORB scenes. Yeah, that blown out of the worldly. Yeah vision quest type vibe.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Wow, fanboys couldn't handle this part.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's a little weird that they have the same hairstyle though, a little bit. I mean this is like between the ear rings and and the overblown lighting and the and the and all the flesh and the hair, It's like I'm not sure I can tell them apart right showing the not visitor would love to hear that.
Speaker 2: H Now watch this screen?
Speaker 1: Yeah this, I was going to say, what is what is this tech? I don't you don't see this that often, do you?
Speaker 2: This is the first and only time this flat screen slides up.
Speaker 4: And out of his desk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, very interesting. You know, it's it's that's cool.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things though, where it's like, what, like it's tech that doesn't make sense because it's not. It's it's so cumbersome and awkward, right like well, like O, why would he He's got a freaking screen right on his desk there that where last season he used to talk to people on that Like having to have that thing come up and down every time you want to talk to someone.
Speaker 2: I know, it doesn't make so practical.
Speaker 1: And this this is good. This stuff with Quark here.
Speaker 4: Always a great scene, like Quark hit with.
Speaker 1: His ear to the ground, right like him? He and Odo or like they have a lot in common in a way because they that's why Yeah, yeah, that's why, And that's why they love each other.
Speaker 4: I do love their relationship a lot.
Speaker 1: I was just watching Veep the other night that an oldie but a goodie and Rene Oborsino's son was.
Speaker 4: On No Way.
Speaker 2: Who did he play?
Speaker 1: He played like a asshole senator. Basically, he's one of these guys who shows up and stuff. He played. He played Peggy's asshole, a gynecologist on Madmen. I don't know if you remember that character, Yes, Remi or Borgia, I think his name is. He's the guy on Madmen who's like, he's like smoking, He's like giving Peggy a gynecological example while he's smoking and lecturing her about not being promiscuous or something.
Speaker 6: It's like, hair, I'm sorry they did your journey.
Speaker 1: His hand doesn't change that much from this this style, though, does it.
Speaker 2: It's a little flatter.
Speaker 1: I like that your deputy or your prisoner.
Speaker 2: Great great exchange, great scene because he knows how to push his button.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Lee n Allis is like he doesn't even know.
Speaker 4: He's just like hanging out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's like, what am I supposed to be doing? Like I think he literally says that, right.
Speaker 2: The guy was The guy was based like the writers saying what is he supposed to be doing?
Speaker 1: The guy was smashing rocks in the prison camp like two days ago. Yeah, just hang out, like, let me let me ask you the rank Kira's lovers Odo Odo? I just called you Odo, Phil he did.
Speaker 2: I can't anything after that, Scott, I've thrown no after.
Speaker 1: After suggesting a really awkward topic as well. Who do you got? You got Barile, You've got uh Shakar, You've got Odo. I think that's it, right, I think so, I kind of. I don't think any of them are good for her.
Speaker 2: Wait, yeah, no, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I never liked the I never liked the Odo.
Speaker 2: She deserves better than what she got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what she needed, She needed some some Thomas Reiker.
Speaker 2: Action that there was a flirtation there.
Speaker 1: I know. That's why I say it almost happened. I'm sure that the actors love this, being able to go go out and actually shoot outside.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a beautiful location too, if you've ever been there.
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 2: I believe this is the Japanese Garden or or the DeSoto Garden in California.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. I like how vedic Win is acting like she doesn't know who Kira is, right, m h.
Speaker 4: She's such an asshole here she feels effective villain.
Speaker 1: Whether she say, feel free this day, even if it's through the rest of the day or something like that.
Speaker 2: And the way she just kind of like dismisses.
Speaker 1: Her Yeah, yeah, every word is like laced with poison. Say everything with a smile, yeah, even a week if necessary. You know, it's funny because the actress, like, you know, she obviously got she got type cast after one flew over the COB's ness, right, So this character is like a version of that, which I'm sure as an actress it's got to be frustrating. But at the same time that type casting is what got her this job. I'm sure that's why she was cast and it and it leads to some really interesting stuff that she gets to do on this show, you know. So it's a little bit of a you know, I could see the negatives of the type casting, but in the case like this, I could see, you know, there's some real positives as well. I mean, kay Wynn becomes one of the great bad guys of Star.
Speaker 4: Trek, one of my favorite bad guys.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so effective that the character of the performance gets under my skin, you know, like this graphic all of this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really cool for room situation here. Yeah, yeah, speak speaking of you know, making something from not a lot, right, because like, look at those lights on the wall behind Cisco that looks like to me like a tnng said mm hmm. I'm trying to picture what it is, like a hallway or something. But but it's like they they had to this. He's basically visiting like the military commander of beijor or some shit, right, whoever this guy is, and it's like, so we need something that looks cool, and there you go, right, And it's like they put they hob cobbled together a bunch of stuff and then they came up with this thing. I would love to actually ask Akuda about this thing on the wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he must have had a hand in designing some Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they just did the blow up of a big map and then they threw some cool graphics over it. But it works really well. He's wearing a Le Nalis style uniform as well. His actually fits better than Lee Nalis's. Some more from that book, Robert Hewett Wolfe said, the premise of the show is one of cerialization the whole point, and we realized this very quickly. Is that the show was about consequences, how the things we do ripple and echo and sustain, and we did not warp away every week at the end of the episode. The premise of come to a planet, have an adventure warp away is inherently an episode by episode standalone premise. We've heard this before from these guys. The premise have come to this place and take control of it and build into it into something better is not that there's a serialized premise and inherently lends itself to that kind of storytelling. That was a part what we were what we were figuring out. But it didn't take very long to figure that one out, to be honest. It was a quick realization and that's what led to, you know, this three parter, which in a way is a four parter, I guess it because it is a direct follow up in the hands of the profits from the season finale with the school, the school being fire bombed and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Right, A great, great episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was Kai Wentz Vetic. Well, yeah, and that was her debut.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 4: Villain can't I can't say enough about that villain.
Speaker 1: So Lee Nahlis is doing okay, right now, considering he didn't really know like anything about the job, right, like he's kind of stepped in he feels he seems pretty self assured all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: This is giving something to do. Also, doesn't this makeup look very uh like your car from a bat blank life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and cursed the gem Honda as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, and reminiscent of that lizard guy who oh Brian made friends with in season one a little a little bit but not quite I guess more gem Hidar. Right, it's an extensive makeup for what is a very bit part alright, mm hmm. And yeah, and so Brian about to get this ass kicked?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they just smuggled Odo on. That's what it is, right. I like that. I like the idea of Odo is not the suitcase, He's just the label on the suitcase. I asked that about O'Brien because he often does get his ass kicked right.
Speaker 4: A little bit?
Speaker 2: Uh uh. I wonder how hard it was to bring those into this set, that little set deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well are they inside? Now?
Speaker 2: This might be an interior set, Yeah, it's that that's an elaborate interior on the planet. If they did a plane at hell set up here.
Speaker 1: The lighting feels interior, but the but yeah, the set itself. I mean, there's a freaking there's a freaking waterfall behind him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could have added that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's that seems pretty extensive. I want to make a waterfall like that in my backyard.
Speaker 4: Actually, i'mbout the whole. I want to recreate this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honey, I want to make a Bajoran temple in my backyard. Did you see Shatner's heading up to Trek conder Roga again or whatever? I don't know what they call it, taich the Taeknderoga, Trek Conderoga. I think maybe it's a specific weekend, but he's got he's heading up there again. I think in November maybe or something, and a bunch of them were just there a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Terry Farrell, Kate Mulgrew, Armide Shimmerman.
Speaker 2: Gotta get that Kachin. Yeah, Scott, when are we going to go to Tech Honderoga. Well, you don't have to go, my friend.
Speaker 1: I would like to. I would like to hear some news on the next generation sets that were supposedly being built. Yeah, because it feels like there's not too much moment momentum forward momentum on that. Apparently they are building a shovel craft though, did you hear about that?
Speaker 2: He did, Yes, the Galileo correct.
Speaker 1: I think so. I like how these guys, these guys just came out of nowhere. Cisco wouldn't Cisco hear them? Right like? That seems a little abrupt. And you want to talk about not being dressed appropriately to walk around in a creek. These guys are wearing freaking monk robes. So when Odo is a rat or a mouse, his brain is still able to understand language.
Speaker 2: He lands with necks like this, and that's what you.
Speaker 1: Get.
Speaker 7: Get the fuck addy?
Speaker 1: Oh that was a how they get that mouse to do that, that rat to do that?
Speaker 4: Good question?
Speaker 1: I like how they have to for this is more for the audience than then for the terrorists, right like, we got the spray paint the thing here just so everyone realizes. So why does minister Jarrow feel like he has to reveal himself here?
Speaker 2: Because reasons? Scott m hm, reasons. Now this is the planet Hell said, sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this definitely is Yeah, I'm looking for ambassador's.
Speaker 2: Back right, found him great reveal, by the way.
Speaker 1: But the thing about him too, about the Angela character is like as with a lot of the Federation, uh, with a lot of the Bajorn figures who wind up being painted as villains, is like, you know, in some ways you got to hear him out right, like, and they do.
Speaker 2: You can see where he's coming from. You don't want to be on his side, but you see why he's on it, right, Yeah, but it's a little too fanatical.
Speaker 1: It's fanatical. Yeah, but then when you also paint it and I'm not sure they do it with him that much, but like when you paint it with the idea that these people have endured forty or fifty years of occupation as well, yes, like what does that? What does that create? Jail?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And actually, in terms of Vedic Win, I'm not sure that we ever got and I might be mistaken and just not remembering this now, but I'm not sure we ever got a ton of backstory on her to help explain why the way she was. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Speaker 4: Do you recall I don't.
Speaker 1: Anyone anyone listening refresh our memory? And write in and tell us if they did, because I can't remember that, and she was on so often that you would think they would have. Those guys are going this is terrible. Those guys are going to beat the ship out of Cure right now. And again you said this last episode, but uh, the Richard Bimer character was that there were were they were considering making him a regular in the early drafts of this right he was they were thinking of having a regular or recurring character. They didn't recurring recurring. Sorry, yeah, okay, I I think he fits in pretty good right now with these guys.
Speaker 2: I think he fits in fire Yeah, fucking orange are and so good in this scene. Yeah, so I want someone when someone going to pull a te Conda Roga and build the DS nine ops so I can hang out on it. Right, So the one set I wish I could have visited.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was watching This Side of Paradise, the original series episode with the spor Plants.
Speaker 4: I was watching that morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's you know when it's just Kirk on the bridge by himself and they reference that shot in Relics.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, they production, Yeah, they actually do. They actually use that for the when the doors to the holiday open that I.
Speaker 2: Think so, Yeah, I think so. I think they used but they must have like cropped out Kirk somehow. But I just watched and I was like, man, I wish I could have gone on that original and the Teknda Roga one is as close as you're going to freaking get to it, but I just wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we've been on those sound stages, right, Yes we have. I mean, I guess that's not a big deal to say, but for a long Island boy like me, it was exciting. I think I got drunk on those sound stages. Actually. At that Star Trek party that we went to for Star Trek behind right.
Speaker 2: Where are My Nemessy held a trivia contest and denied a young child dressed as are Born the correct answer because he didn't say it, and he was right, but he didn't say the full phrase.
Speaker 1: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: He got into a little kid's face. People were booing him, including Carl Urban, Chris Pine, I'm John Choe, give the kid a thing, and Zachary Quinto No, no, no, gotta get it right.
Speaker 1: A little bit of action in an otherwise talkie episode having some like close quarter phaser fire here. Right, This is another interesting angle, the way the cameras up there with.
Speaker 4: Her and the number on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they're hiding they're hiding her face at first, like Julie doesn't see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she sells it perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great actor on this great actor period, but especially in this this installments. Yeah, okay, now here's some trivia here. They're all being beamed up, right, all at once to the runabout. Yeah, all members are beamed up at once. In the previous episode, the Homecoming, it's stated that a runabout can only beam up to people at.
Speaker 1: A time, Right, So can I give a do you have an answer or can I give give my.
Speaker 2: So I have nothing other than who cares the story done?
Speaker 1: So what I'm thinking is you keep that some of them are staying the transport a buffer while you know the kind of beam to you know, to materialize nerd step to the side, two more materialized step to the side. And that part of the issue in the last episode was you just couldn't fit all those motherfuckers on one runabout. But having said that, that's not that's not actually what they said, right, they said they said you can't beam that many people up right. So maybe the hard drive of the pattern buffer is not big enough to hold that many people.
Speaker 2: Maybe your fucking protective needs to be bigger to hold some more nerd pens.
Speaker 1: The good the good news is my my my inhale or has re materialized?
Speaker 2: As did your virginity?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes? And my virginity? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna when you leave the house? Are people gonna slap kick me?
Speaker 4: Signs on you?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Are you having anxiety about going to gym class?
Speaker 1: After the sky?
Speaker 2: Do you imagine this in high school?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: My god, where a thing would be ridiculed?
Speaker 1: You know. I try to tell my son that, like they these kids don't understand what it was like. You know.
Speaker 2: I had to be embarrassed to be a Star Trek fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 3: You didn't speak publicly, which is funny.
Speaker 2: There's a sweatshirt from ninety two. I believe it was a white sweatshirt that my aunt got me off of QVC. It had it says Star Trek below the is Star Trek in the in the TOS movie font Yeah, it was the Enterprise a like but that shove of the a Space doc right when they find at the end of Star Trek four right. It has you know, Spock, Kirk and McCoy floating heads above Star Trek Star Trek sandwich between the Enterprise and.
Speaker 4: The and the floating heads.
Speaker 2: Okay, I never wore the sweatshirt. I barely wore the sweatshirt because I was a friend and get made fun of. I found it on eBay over the weekend and I ordered it nice.
Speaker 4: I would be wearing it in public.
Speaker 7: Don't give a f you can finally finally wear it.
Speaker 1: Man. This is where yeah, this is where we are. This is what David Livingston said.
Speaker 4: I'm curious what thoughts he said.
Speaker 1: It was like doing a movie or a mini series. It had a lot of gunfights and space battles. Pillar threw it all into the mix. It was big. We knew we were going to spend a lot of money for the first three episodes in the second season and that we'd have to make it up later. But Rick and Michael just wanted to start off the season with a bang, and I think we did. Yeah. I mean this episode is maybe the smallest of the feeling of the three, So this one's a little bit more contained. But even this, like with the different sets that we've been pointing out, and I believe we're we're going to get a a matte painting shot or something now with these, with these two, I think like even that stuff, it's not action necessarily, but still yeah, for the time especially it's it's it's costly stuff, you know. So of course in the next one, in the episode the finale, we get the space fighter stuff with Kira and Dax the Great.
Speaker 2: I always love that hern Ax in those little flyers, right, plus the siege of the station.
Speaker 1: Right, and last episode we got the whole stuff where they rescuely Knowledged, which was a lot of a lot of locations.
Speaker 4: Fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, phaser fire, look, the location stuff, which looked great. Always just opened these shows up.
Speaker 2: And each Phaser blast back then was three to five grand apiece.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. See this is the show I knew. I remember that there was a big shot, so I think that's I think that's a matte painting behind them. I guess it probably has to be.
Speaker 2: Also love the lighting, the coordination with the lighting of the painting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's it's it's excellent.
Speaker 4: It's like Dune esque, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so of course those two are working together conspiring. Yeah. Yeah, Now the subtitles spelled it differently. I don't know. I don't know how it's spelled on if you tech check memory alpha alpha, but memory alpha. Yeah, because even like Cisco's got the chunky card laptop.
Speaker 2: It is spelled c h E K O t E just like Okay, okay, yeah, those laptops are chunky. I just got a relationship to.
Speaker 1: No. But we see this guy again, don't we?
Speaker 4: Or you know what he was he was in the previous.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm mixing him up. Also, he's just another gray haired white guy, I guess. But he looked a little looked a little bit to me like the Captain of the Odyssey who will meet at the end of end of season two. I think I was can using him with him.
Speaker 2: He also appeared in Star Trek the Next.
Speaker 1: Generation okay as that character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in a Gambit Part one.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of being in a writer's room for too many months in a row. That's how you wind up with Gambit part one.
Speaker 4: I like Gambit Part one.
Speaker 3: This is what Louise I'm sorry, this is what Louise Fletcher vedik Wynn said. They just asked me to play this outrageous part, and I thought it was this one time thing. Then they kept coming back and asking me to do more. As it turned out, I was available most of the time. You just run over to.
Speaker 1: Paramount, put on the costume, and you try and remember the words, which is not easy. It's a lot of language and it's almost classical. I don't want to say Shakespearean, but when did have the tragic flaw of ambition and pride. It's fun to play that. High drama villains often come across as the nicest people, and that's just pure fun to play.
Speaker 2: A cool shot to you of Cisco, And yeah, how do you not want to tune in for the next week?
Speaker 1: Shit is about to hit the fan.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to talk about episode three. Thank you all for joining us for episode two. We'll be back with the Siege. Another commentary for that that'll be coming soon in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll get that one up sooner than we we will. Then. We did this one.
Speaker 2: More trivia with it than this installment, so get ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, as always, everyone, please email us at Transporter Room three at gmail dot com or just hit us up on Facebook or Twitter. Or Blue Sky, or however you want to talk to us. You can also get head over to the Patreon. As we said earlier, you can join the Patreon for free and you can communicate with us there as well. But we'd love to hear your takes on these episodes, and we'd love to get back to reading some reader mail as well, so please don't hesitate to do that. But yeah, Phil, thank you so much for doing this with me. It's always fun. I love doing these commentaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a good time, and thank you all for listening. Until next time, we'll see you under vid Island.