Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: My name is Kevin Tudor and I'm one of the three hosts of Almost Major Film Podcasts, dissecting many major indie studios in the films they release. Every week, Myself, Charlie Nash, and Brighton Doyle discuss overlooked, forgotten or bona fide classic indie films via studio specific mini series. We've previously covered numerous films from Artists and Entertainment, Lionsgate Films and New Line Cinema titles, including The Blair Witch Project, American Psycho, Dogville, But I'm a Cheerleader, Saw Recording for a Dream, and Ringmaster you know the Jerry Springer film. Anyways, we have a fun time every week and we hope you.
Speaker 4: Will join us.
Speaker 3: Subscribe to Almost Major wherever you get your podcasts. Now proudly a part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the fourth annual Shelf Shock rewind Awards. Something I never thought I'd be saying in my lifetime, and it is amazing to be here hosting with the one and only mister Chris Higgins Beard of Film Guy welcome and thank you for doing this, sir.
Speaker 5: Dude, thank you for having me do this. Man, this is an honor. I've watched for three years, so it feels only right that I deserved to be on the fourth.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm glad that's not the actual bar because a lot of people here hopefully would be in that same running. So I'm glad that you could be here for that, Glad that everybody's here watching live. Hopefully it is a big deal for everybody, because it's a big deal for both of us. We've been working on this for quite some time. Literally, I'm going to be still be working on some of this as we are live. I will be fully transparent about that fact. I am a little bit behind. But speaking behind, I want to talk about somebody who's been behind the scenes for a lot of this, and I could not have done it without him. It is the person that started this with me, the one and only mister Stephen Billing Steven.
Speaker 6: Thanks hey, now, man, guys, that's another year of physical media and another year for us to celebrate it.
Speaker 7: I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Ryan.
Speaker 6: I'm glad to hear that you're still working behind. Whenever I hear that Ryan's working on something wild. He's working on something. It just makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess you're happy a lot because it happens a lot.
Speaker 5: You love the torture he's going through right now.
Speaker 7: Torture right and he loves it.
Speaker 8: He loves it though.
Speaker 2: It does keep you going, It makes makes my heart keep pumping. But I'm glad that it's pumping because I get to be here with you, Glad to I get to experience with all this. How did you feel about twenty twenty five as a whole for physical media because it was a it was a weird, crazy year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, you know, like, you know, I've worked on my habits a lot, you know, so I'm not like, I'm not like, you know, like trying to pay attention to every little thing because it gets it makes me crazy. But everything that I saw coming out that it just went in all different directions. And you know, one of my favorites, I mean, I got some favorites up here on the shelf.
Speaker 8: One of my favorites.
Speaker 9: Is down here Night of the Juggler.
Speaker 6: Man, Oh, this guy is releas I love it and uh so, yeah, no, I I I love this stuff. And that's why we started it, and it was a crazy year man, and more you know, as as we know, this happens every year, so more to come, more crazy stuff to come.
Speaker 2: More crazy stuff to come. Genuinely, thank you for doing this with me, Steven, Thank you for being here. Chris, you guys are incredible and cannot wait to see what everybody thinks because we got some wild stuff happening tonight. So glad you're here.
Speaker 6: All right, we have a good time hosting tonight. I'll bib watching and let's do it.
Speaker 2: Come on all right, Thanks Daven, see you soon. And Chris, what about you? What are you excited for tonight? What do you what are you hoping wins? What are you hoping the people voted for?
Speaker 5: You know, it's been it's been a year, man. I feel like a lot of dreams came true this year. There was so much stuff that people have been clamoring for for years, including myself as a collector, especially in Horror. More than ever, I think horror continues to present itself as not only dominating box office, but also kind of dominating physical media, whether it's four K you know masters coming out or four K Remasters coming out, or you know, old exploitation stuff finally getting the light a day and coming out. There's so much of it, you know, I'm hoping to kind of see some. I would love to see some of the kind of releases that were a big deal to us, and the deep cuts get a little bit more attention, you know what I mean, Shina light on some of those. Yeah, And you know, the labels have really been stepping it up, you know, bonus features and supplemental material something that I as well as you try to champion on physical media, and I think twenty twenty five really stepped up in a big way where labels are kind of forced to do more than ever before because of just demand and everybody's crushing it man, from packaging to supplemental material to the volume of extras. It's it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, I agree, it's been an impressive year. I mean we're getting sets, we're getting director's box sets, We're getting a lot of incredible releases. I cannot wait for everybody to see these, which means I mean, maybe we should just get into our first one. Let's uh, let's bring this up on the stage because it's the first one, and to look a little wonky. I'm gonna I'm gonna change it to full screen immediately. I promise it'll look better. But let's talk about our first category, which is best pre code and silent film release from last year.
Speaker 10: Hello there, I'm Tony Machez and I'm John Matthews, and we are the co hosts of Imprint Casts and we are honored to present one of these categories for the shof Shocking winder Wards. Once again, Ryan and Chris, thank you so much for adding us on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I really appreciate the opportunity to present this.
Speaker 10: Silent film and pre code cinema. So many film masterpieces from there, directors like George Meliez, FW Murnow even out with Hitchcock.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, like some of the best and most innovative works came from that time. And it was a real boundary pushing too, because some of the films from the era really quite ahead of their time in quite graphic and obviously stuff that you wouldn't see later on once the code came into place. But yeah, this sort of golden period of sort of like a free movement of filmmakers and some really great stuff came out of it, and it was a particularly great year to see some of the stuff get released on Blu ray and four K amazingly as well.
Speaker 10: Definitely, and we are honored to present the Best pre Code and Silent Film Blace for twenty twenty five and the nominees.
Speaker 5: Are Alrane and The Student of Prague, Deaf Crocodile, The Cat and the Canary four K, Quino Laurberg, Hell's Angels four K Criterion Collection, He Who Gets Slapped, Flicker Alley, The Old Dark House four K Eureka Entertainment.
Speaker 10: And the winner for the CSC Award for the Best pre Code and Silent Film Release is Al Rang and The Student of Prague from Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 11: That release went out of print very quickly, so it actually sold out before pre order, so I didn't actually get my hands in it because it sold out, but it is one I am willing to track down Monday, but I'll just settle for the standard edition now. But it's a yeah, I love what Deaf Crocodile do.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 11: And the community winner for the Best pre Code and Silent Film Release is from Eureka Entertainment and is The Old Dark House four K, which was a really nice upgrade from Eureka this year.
Speaker 10: Congratulations to both winners, well deserved.
Speaker 12: Oh wow, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fantastic.
Speaker 12: Didn't see that coming.
Speaker 14: We are really stoked to hear that, especially because there's so many other amazing silent and pre code releases out there. Huge thanks to everyone who worked on that, in particular my good friend of many years Stefan Dressler and his entire team at the Munich Film Museum who have preserved and restored the materials that we put out on the Alroune and Student of Prague release. It's the first of hopefully a number of releases of rare silent cinema with our partners at Munich, so a huge shout out to them, and to again all of the essay writers commentators Dave McKeon for the gorgeous artwork for the deluxe edition. And it was our first silent cinema release.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 15: It's nice that it's stalled well and now winning this award. It's a good start for silent cinema from Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 2: So that's incredible, all right. So that is our first category pre code silent film release. Incredible release. From Deaf Crocodile that Alroade and Stoner a prog double feature you can still get in the standard. It's not gone forever, John said, out of print, but you can still get it. Don't worry. That Eureka release also incredible. Deaf Crocodile. You've been checking much of theirs out recently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean they were nice enough to last year hook me up with a whole bunch of animation stuff to check out because I was on Reconnected talking about how I don't know shit about it and they were like, we need to change that. I think it's literally what their email said. And it's been incredible ever since because as somebody who I consider myself pretty willing to branch out, they really opened my eyes to unique and new experiences. And I mean the bonus features, the packaging all incredible, man. I mean they're deserving of every bit of this. But the Old Dark House from Eureka is also incredible.
Speaker 2: So reddible for kidding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely incredible man.
Speaker 2: As a reminder, we are going to have a handful of giveaways tonight to make sure you're here and ready to answer some quick trivia questions via the chat. When those comes up first. One to answer correctly is going to be winning a handful of some awesome giveaways. We'll have to cover those soon, but I mean, let's just keep it running. I am pleased to bring back somebody who's now done this. Well, he'll tell you he's done it four times in a row, and he's very excited about that. Let's kick it over to one of my dearest friends, mister Jeremy Long.
Speaker 16: Oh I there, Sorry, you caught me doing a little light reading high on you physical media lovers. It's me again, Jeremy Long, frequent guests of the disconnected to meet.
Speaker 13: Let's be real, you all know who I am by now, right.
Speaker 16: I mean this is the fourth year of the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards, after all, and not to pray.
Speaker 13: But I've been a part of all.
Speaker 17: Four years, only two against my will.
Speaker 16: Anyways, I'm back once again this year to present the Best Contemporary Studio Release Award. And some of you Shelf Shock fans might be wondering, hey, Jeremy, why you're at home in front of your awesome physical media collection, not out at some exotic location somewhere for this year's video.
Speaker 13: And the answer is.
Speaker 16: Unfortunately, I'm still on house arrests for impersonating Dave Grohl in last year's video series. Anyways, turns out he's quite litigious and well, never mind, my lawyer says, I'm not allowed to talk about it.
Speaker 13: So let's just move on with the video and the nominees are.
Speaker 5: Here's where the nominees go. Bring her back. Four K A twenty four Final Destination, Bloodlines, four K Steel Book, Warner Brothers, Sinners four K Steel Book, Warner Brothers, The Toxic Avenger four K Steel Book, Cinnerverse Weapons four K Steel Book, Warner Brothers.
Speaker 16: Hey, welcome back, everybody. Here's a pop quiz for you. What is the winner of both the CSC and community vote and me all have in common. We're all sinners on contractor obligated to say the winner is the four K Steel Book and not the tiny guitar.
Speaker 13: Anyways. Also forgive me Father.
Speaker 2: Suey Jersey, all right, bulp exist.
Speaker 13: Foo fighters.
Speaker 16: That's a close one, because if he was real, let's face it, I'd be going straight to hell.
Speaker 13: Fuck mm hm. Back to you, Ryan and Chris.
Speaker 2: Oh, jeremy studio stuff? Are you picking up a bunch of studio titles? Nowadays, I know a lot of people tend to steer clear of those. I'm curious what you think about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean I I try to I'm not I'm not a steel book guy, so I don't really pick those up. But Toxic Avenger I picked up. I mean, I thought I had to support a friend and having that, you know, so that's I mean, you're close to Jersey, that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he is my naw, he is my superhero. By the way, bring her I picked up from a good disc YEP, Final Destination. I picked up we do have sinners, but hot take. I'm just kind of mid on sinners.
Speaker 2: Well, it's too bad Chris had to go for the night. But and okay, there he is. No sinners is wonderful. We don't need to let him keep keep a waxing poetic about how it's not wonderful. I'm just kidding. I know Chris respects it. Let's let's just keep this rolling. A couple of these videos tonight are gonna be a little bit on the longer side. So I'm definitely gonna keep us rolling because we got some people involved that I think you're gonna be happy to see. We got a lot of individuals that they don't really get a lot of public voices. So we're gonna we're gonna keep this running. Next up, keeping it going with the studio. We got the studio catalog rely so anything that didn't come out over the last couple of years, and they're reaching back into some of the vaults to put these out. And of course before we go through this, I did want to highlight we have two winners in every category, and the reason is for everybody that's not familiar with this, we've got our Creator Selection Committe. Now, this is a curated group of a little over one hundred people that are filmmakers, people that work at labels, people that do audio commentary, special features, producers, people that work on these discs, podcasters, YouTubers, all kinds of people in the industry, and they're the ones that nominated many of our titles. But also we wanted to give them a choice to pick their favorite. So you see a winner from them, you also see a winner from the community. That's why we have two on every category. Do you ever have a question on that, let me know and I'll help you work that out. But let's go into that studio catalog release now and find out what they have to say for that.
Speaker 17: What's up?
Speaker 13: Everybody?
Speaker 18: Garatt back here from Born to Be rad In, one half of the Anchor Bay Archives podcast, and I am honored to be here today to present the best studio catalog release of twenty and twenty five. And the nominees are.
Speaker 5: Boogie Knights four K Steel Book, Warner Brothers, A Nightmare on Elm Street four K steel book collection, Warner Brothers Knight of the Living Dead nineteen ninety four K steel book, Sony Pictures, Panic Room four K Steel book, Sony Pictures seven four K Steel book Warner Brothers.
Speaker 18: And the winner, voted by the Creators Selection community goes to A Nightmare on Elm Street four K box set by Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Here is the winner, this beauty here.
Speaker 5: Check this out. What a great release, guys.
Speaker 18: We've been wanting.
Speaker 2: This for so long and this year we finally got it.
Speaker 18: And the winner, voted by you the community.
Speaker 19: Is.
Speaker 18: A Nightmare on Elm Street four K box set from Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 5: Check it out again, guys.
Speaker 18: This thing just swept the studio catalog release and I couldn't be happy because I love that edition.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad we have it now.
Speaker 18: Thanks again for having me, guys, now enjoy the rest of the show.
Speaker 2: I guess it came back curarly. Thanks for Garrett. I feel like he was the perfect one to talk about that release. So glad that he came on here with us. It's a hell of a box set. Did you get the box set?
Speaker 5: I did actually want it. I want it in a giveaway from Monster. Yeah, I missed out on it the initial run. Thank god, I want it, and I think it's more than deserving that we got that. I'm really shocked that Night of Living Dead ninety didn't take one of them, because I thought that was equally as big a deal. But both are incredible, and I actually the neighboring Elms Street set. I remember kind of like seeing unboxing and stuff and I was like, oh, you know, it looks cool, but like I'm okay with the standard. And then when my giveaway came in, I just kind of took a second and I was like, I was wrong. I'm happy I have this now, and they look ridiculous, like yeah, insane.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's really easy on a giant package like that to talk about the steel books and the gorgeous art and all that stuff, but the reality is, I think the biggest thing here a studio put out a box set of really incredible looking four K releases of a franchise that's never gotten a lot of love on home video. A lot of the releases for that has been we'll say subpar, to say, the best thing that we could say about it. So the new ones, they're they're kind of incredible. I'm glad that they're out. I'm glad that people can respect it. And it sounds like we might be getting a rerelease later this year so more people could pick it up, so that's a good thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do want to tell people, if you have the Night a Living Dead nineteen ninety steel book, give the Tom Savini the new Tom Savini audio commentary. I've run with that. I bet you wou'd raise your appreciation for that just a little bit more than the new footage added.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a lot there. Even the new footage is it's probably not as incredible as you would think hearing the mythic nature of it over the years, but the four K picture on that does look really great, So check it out one thing that I feel like we've been getting a lot more love the last couple of years with our animated release. And I know that you've just kind of started dipping your toes in the animated pool, but it is something that's been near and dear to me and want to throw it to my dear friend mister Connor Holt to talk about our best release on the animated side. So let's shoot it out to Los Angeles and Hi, I'm Connor Holt.
Speaker 20: You might know me as VHS Spectacular Instagram and I write about film for the Physical Media Advocate. This parking lot has a very special place in animation history. Before was a strip mall. It was the original home of Walt Disney Animation Studios. It was here that Mickey Mouse was created and where Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came to life. Animation has come a long way since then, being made all over the world, an incredible variety of styles and stories, and thanks to Physical we can appreciate all of it. The nominees for Best Animation Release.
Speaker 5: Are Essential Polish Animation, Radiance Films, Flow four K, Criterion Collection, When and the Book of Sand four K, Deaf Crocodile. I married a strange person. Deaf Crocodile, Perfect Blue four k G Kids.
Speaker 20: Oh look a vh's copy of my neighbor Totoro. Let's take a look inside. And the winner of best Animation Release, as chosen by the creator's Selection Committee is Perfect Blue four K from g Kids, and the winner chosen by the community is Flow four K from Criterion. Congrats to both.
Speaker 2: Huge year for animation. I'm glad the Perfect Blue is getting into more people's hands. That movie is absolutely incredible. There's Connor and the chat long love animation. Hell yeah, Connor was the perfect person to do animation. Thanks for showing some history there. I thought that was a really cool place to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was awesome. I also think it was so cool that Criterion picked up Flow so quickly, So I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Some big acquisitions from them coming up, like right after stuff is coming out from the Oscars and stuff. They got a couple coming out this year from those, like Sentimental Values about to be coming out just a few months. But one of the companies that has been making people very happy for animation is Deaf Crocodile, And it sounds like it might be a good time to do our first giveaway for the nights. Why don't you tell them about that?
Speaker 13: Chris?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So a huge thank you to Deaf Crocodile. We're actually going to be giving away a fifty dollars gift card for their sight and couldn't think of a better trivia question than to kind of wrap it around to some Deaf Crocodile history, So I hope you're up to date. Your question is what title was Deaf Crocodile's first major restoration project?
Speaker 2: First one in the chat to type it out wins a fifty dollars Deaf Crocodile gift certificate. It is not what's the cast named Travis. That was a good try, but you probably could have answer that before it went in. This is a title that for anybody that was wondering you might find an answer not on disc from them yet. Lots of answers coming in stuff that they've done, but I've not seen the proper title yet, so we'll keep that going. Winners tonight as they choose the Ice Grizzle Subman from Singapore, the title would have been the Unknown Man from Shandygorb, but that's still not the right answer. A good try there. If you are winning tonight, you are going to have somebody that is going to be sending me an email and Matt over at what's the idea editing? Got it? Funny enough, they have not released this on disc because they don't have the rights to release it. They just helped with the restoration assault on Precinct thirteen was their first major restoration project that they handled as Deaf Crocodile before they became a disc producer. So congratulations, Matt. Send me an email at shelf Shock Rewind at gmail dot com and I will get your email address over to Craig at Deaf Crocodile and we'll figure out how to go from there. So appreciate that. Congratulations Matt. And yeah, it was a trick question. It's sorry, Craig. That is awesome. Let's see, I think it's probably time to go in to best Martial Arts release following that Martial Arts. Are you into many of the martial arts titles that are coming out recently?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I'm getting into them. There's so much coming out. I think you don't really have a choice to kind of dip your toes in you know what I mean. But it really started for me, honest when Severn did the uh the Bruce Ploitation box set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fun box, super fun box.
Speaker 5: At that point, the show scope was already so far, like, already so intimidating. So I you know, I jumped into Bruce Ploitation. That really kind of opened up the door for me, and I've been dabbling in it more and more. So I'm excited to see who takes this one home.
Speaker 2: Well, anybody that is super into martial arts or maybe just getting into martial arts. One of the people that I would suggest that you follow on social media and on YouTube to get into any of this is my dear friend, The Fanatical Dragon, and let's throw it over to him.
Speaker 21: Hey, thank you, Ryan and Chris. I'm Johnny aka the Fanatical Dragon. You can find me right here on YouTube posting reviews on boxings and interviews on a station cinema. I am also one third of the Night Adventures podcast alongside Jason from Martial Arts Theater three thousand and Sean from Food for Thoughts, and I'm extremely lucky to contribute to.
Speaker 11: A whole bunch of blue releases.
Speaker 21: I've written for Verdy, eight films for Chameleon and for Television, produced video essays for Spectrum, and have a whole lot more in stall for twenty twenty six. But today it's all about twenty twenty five and it's my absolute pleasure to announce the category for best Martial Arts Release from twenty twenty five. So back to you Ryan and Chris for the nominations.
Speaker 5: Wahachi Bushido four K, Manda Micabre, Come Drink with Me four K, eighty eight Films, Furious Swords and Fantastic Warriors, the Heroic Cinema of chang Che, Eureka Entertainment, The Great Chase Neon Eagle Video Showscope Volume four Erro Video.
Speaker 21: Hey, thank you again Ryan and Chris, So without any further ado, it's time to announce the winner of the best Martial Arts Release of twenty twenty five, and it is, of course, hit Is Arrow for Shawscope Volling four I who've managed to win not only the CSC Award but also the Community Choice Awards. So I'm not a clean slate for Arrow, as it was the last time I did one of these when they won for their boost box set. That's probably sitting up there on my shelf behind me. But for twenty twenty five, it was Show Scott Voling four, an incredible box set, really really kind of great mix of horror and fantasy, with a little bit of wooshat thrown in as well. If you've not had a chance to pick it up, I absolutely recommend that you do. But back to Ryan and Chris for the rest of the categories. Thanks for watching.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 22: Well that's I mean, that's wonderful here because I mean, technically speaking, it's not even really a martial arts set. It's kind of one of the one of the things that we wanted to do, particularly when we picked the name show Scope, which obviously is the name of the widescreen process, but we also wanted to ultimately in you know, beyond, in further box sets, beyond the volumes one and two that we initially had kind of set up. We wanted to do justice to all the different genres that not all the genres necessarily, but as many of the genres as we could that Shore Brothers would do. So I was particularly excited that volume four would be the horror, sci fi fantasy box set, and there's still some martial arts in there. There's still a fair amount of you know, kind of Wou Shah crossover and a bit of kung Fu as well. But now it's you know, the fact that the fans are kind of still, you know, after all these years, coming back for more. It's wonderful to see. So thank you very much to the Academy.
Speaker 2: James is amazing. I love what Erro's done. The Shasco box sets are kind of incredible, and that fourth one, I know, made a lot of people happy because it was like the genre box set that they've put out that wasn't just fairly strict martial arts. So even somebody like you who's just getting into it would probably appreciate it more than many.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I mean, honestly, I appreciate just how much shaw stuff we're getting out in general. I mean, but from in print, from Vinegar Syndrome, you know, this past year, especially for horror fans. Yeah, there's been so much and they've actually been kind of some of my favorite discoveries over the last year or so. So incredible work there.
Speaker 2: Boutiques, though other of the martial arts have been focusing on kind of the bread and butter of the boutique world. Which is what they've been putting out through their releases for years, and that is horror. I know that horror is special to you, and I have not even given you a chance to talk about it. So why don't you talk about your podcast for a moment. If everybody's watching it and they appreciate you, where could they find you?
Speaker 23: Ah?
Speaker 5: Thank you so very lucky to host an incredible podcast with my best friend, or say incredible in my view, I see it as incredible. It is called Beyond the Blood Steve from After Hours Video and I. We essentially break down genre films using their audio commentary as our discussion base. So we'll watch a movie deep dive into it, dive into the audio commentaries, and kind of build a conversation that comes from what we see as a unique point of view. For those who maybe aren't into commentaries, are just getting into them. There's so much information in there that is absolutely phenomenal and not watching them, you're missing out on a lot of just fantastic insight and analysis. And on our show, we use them to form a conversation. And we're very lucky to be part of someone's favorite productions. With Ryan and a bunch of other podcasts, and it's really been, you know, phenomenal journey. We just had on Dave Lee from Umbrella Entertainment to talk about the making of their upcoming Monsters and Curiosities box set. It's been a crazy journey, man, and I just can't thank you and everybody else enough who's been tuning in. You know, you start these things and you don't really know what's going to happen, right, You're like, okay, let's just let's go. And then the first year passed and the show grew so much that going into year two was actually kind of nerve wracking because we're like, all right, how do we do this better and keep this train rolling? And so far this year alone, you know, everything that we've put out since January first has done incredibly well. We can see no growth in the show, and we just hope that we're lending our hand to the education that physical media can provide and teaching people to appreciate beyond just the movie on the disc.
Speaker 2: You know, I think anybody watching this would like your show. So if you're into horror, if you're into audio commentaries, check that out. But if you're into horror, you're probably eager to see this next category. Let's bring on somebody that you might have already seen on YouTube, and that is let's just show it. Here we go.
Speaker 24: Hey everyone, my name is Daniel with the cobweb Channel, a YouTube show where I make videos counting down lists of a ridiculous amount of horror and cult movies, rankings, recommendations.
Speaker 2: It's a good time.
Speaker 24: And while most of us physical media lovers love to collect movies from all different genres like yes I have while you were sleeping on both DVD and VHS, there's just no question these boutique labels by far put the most care and attention on the horror genre, which is also my favorite genre in all of film, which is why I am so honored to be presenting in the category of Best Horror Release and the nominees for best and Scariest I'm sure horror release are.
Speaker 5: The beyond four K Grindhouse Releasing In the Mouth of Madness, four K Ero Video, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, four K Vinegar Syndrome, A Nightmare on Numb Street, four K ste a book Collection, Warner Brothers Possession, four K Second Sight Films.
Speaker 24: And the winner of Best horror release is apparently this clamshell VHS edition of Goosebumps Werewolf of Fever Swamp. I mean, I'm a nineties kid. I love Goosebumps and this is an absolute banger episode. But isn't this like really old? I don't really under Oh oh, I see, I think this is the winners, guys, this is the winners right here. Oh man, this is exciting. Stuff seems really old. This seems like it's been foretold in prophecy for many years ago. And the winner of Best Horror Release as voted by the Creator Selection Committee is Possession on four K from Second Sight Films. Such an incredible and one of a kind film, and for me, also wins in the category of best sex Scene. It's actually not weird that I said that. Don't make it weird. And the winner of Best Horror Release as voted by the community is The Beyond four K from Grindhouse Releasing. Also an incredible film that I love. But I think what clinched it for the community was that eyeball, the little plastic eyeball. Come on, who out there got that? Show your hands? Thank you so much for having me on the show. Now I'm gonna go watch a scary movie.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 17: So yeah, thank you so much, guys. It's an honor. It's my passion project for us all here at Second Side Films. It's a film we've respected for many years, and it's just excellent that the film has been so well received by you guys and from the community at large.
Speaker 25: Well, that's incredible. There's so much great stuff was released last year that it's pretty astounding.
Speaker 13: Wow, that's something. Thank you.
Speaker 7: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: For those that don't know, Bob Morowski, who owns Grindhouse Releasing, is literally the editor for every Sam ReVII movie ever made. Like, what is happening? There's a Sam Remi movie in theaters right now, and we just got the editor of every Sam Remi movie to talk about the release of The Beyond. Like, just an incredible time on the show, Dude.
Speaker 5: Can I just say, like, Daniel's energy is incredible? Man, No wonder that guy just hit a hunter k on YouTube man in seed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dani, it was pretty great. Glad that we finally got to see somebody from Second Site talk about these releases. It's been a long time coming on the show. So glad that we got Philip Escott on here. He is doing just remarkable work. I know a lot of people in the Chat love Second Site, so it's incredible to see a face for the first time in a long time with them. Horror though, just knocking it out of the park every year. It is crazy what we're able to get coming out of some of these boutiques. But everybody needs to check it out. I do want to stand in in line with the Chat though. Give us Pieces on four K somebody. I absolutely need that. We need a new generation of people to discover Pieces and say, what the hell am I watching?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, And I also want to plug once more beyond the Blood podcast. If you go back to August of twenty twenty five, we had a nearly two hour conversation with Philip A. Scott all about the Texans Chainsaw Maasker. We broke down their box set, talked about the legacy, talked about the documentary, Like we talked about so much stuff with him, and I think if you're a second SIT fan, you're gonna want to go back and check that out.
Speaker 2: What an incredible segue that was and I don't even think you planned it. Let's talk about documentaries. I am a huge fan of documentaries, literally, having launched a label myself this year. One of the first titles that we announced was a documentary. And I feel like a lot of labels have kind of steered clear away from them, and I get why, But also they're very important and I really wish more people would focus on them. But having Steen, my dear friend in the chat, who is about to announce this one, everybody gives some love to mister KB loves movies, and let's throw it over to him and take a look at his incredible collection.
Speaker 26: I did not set out to find it. Discoveries never begin that way. They begin with boredom and an expensive movie that resists opening behind winter scarves and a manual written in four extinct languages. There it was a glow, not bright, not aggressive, just read the kind of red suggests importance or danger or a special edition you forgot you paid extra for. I turned the corner slowly. The red hue grows stronger, like a sunrise over discontinued formats, DVD, BLU, ray four, K, Ultra HD, all staring back at me, patient, slightly disappointed. This is not a collection, this is an archive.
Speaker 13: What's up? Y'all.
Speaker 27: It's KB from KB Loves Movies. Join us every week for the conversation. But in the meanwhile, I'm here to present the best documentary release. And the nominees are.
Speaker 5: Burden of Dreams four K Criterion Collection, Chain Reactions, Media Book, Dark Sky selects David Burns American Utopia four K Criterion Collection, on Davy four K, Canadian International Pictures, Colonious, MONK, Straight No Chaser Criterion Collection.
Speaker 27: And the Creators Selection Committee selects Burden of Dreams four K Criterion Collection. Also, the community selects Burden of Dreams four K Criterion Collection. Congratulations to all the winners.
Speaker 2: KP's Collections A vibe, Man, I love that Red Light dude.
Speaker 5: It was so good. I didn't know what was happening. I was like, I don't know where we're at right now, but I'm into it.
Speaker 2: He sent me the video and I was like, what is this voice over? This is incredible? So stoked on that documentaries. Are you watching many documentaries? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean I watch I watch a lot, just depending on kind of what's coming out. We have so many, you know. Hearts of Darkness was finally just announced to come out from Snaps but this year I finally dove into like robodoc the massive RoboCop documentary Chain Reactions was a great one to get, especially that physical release with all the alternate versions of Texas Chainslaw mass here that was phenomenal. There's so many man and I feel like it's really grown to be like such a strong focus on individual movies, like to think back ten years ago and imagine like what In Search of Darkness has been doing, and companies actually putting time and effort into these incredibly long, extremely detailed documentaries that like one percent of the fan base of that film is actually going to watch. We appreciate so greatly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. Documentaries are a big, fun, fun time for me. I really wish more companies would focus on them. And one thing that I feel like some companies are focusing on more nowadays is technical quality. For the first time, in like the home video world, we're getting a lot of people being very particular about audio and video and now I'd like to to kind of shed some light on those that are doing their best in those categories. So let's send it over to one of my inspirations in this world. Literally, one of the people inspired me to pick up the mantle and do what I do. Mister Justin Biem at Reverend Entertainment.
Speaker 9: I'm Justin Beam with Reverend Entertainment and I'm excited to once again be part of the Shelf Shock Awards. Physical media has never meant more than it does right now. From the studios to the independence, there are so many people putting a lot of effort and love into the releases that sit on your shelves. This really is film preservation in my opinion, It's great to have a show like this that celebrates the work that producers like me onto everyone else in the chain are doing to make sure that the movies you love are ending up in your hands with the best video and audio presentation possible. My category today is Best Audio Presentation and we have a tremendous lineup of releases as nominees. Let's take a.
Speaker 5: Look, Master and Commander The Far Side of the World. Four K steal Book, Disney Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning four K Steal Book, Paramount Pictures, Sinners four K Steel Book, Warner Brothers Sorcerer four K Criterion Collection, Warfare four K A twenty four.
Speaker 9: The winner for Best Audio Presentation in both the CSC and community categories is the same and deservedly so. One of my favorite releases of twenty twenty five, Sorcerer on four K from Criterion. Criterion does it again. Congratulations to all involved.
Speaker 2: You know, before this year, I feel like Criterion had won some time before, it was getting some attention from the shelf shock rewind voters. But thankfully I feel like people have come around over the last couple of years and got a lot more attention on Criterion.
Speaker 5: They have, they have, and deservedly so. I definitely need people to put on the Warfare four K though and experience yeah, because holy hell, is that immersive like it is?
Speaker 2: It is some of the best audio I've heard in literally a couple of years. The Warfare disc is pretty remarkable. But thankfully, a lot of these companies also doing a lot to pay attention on the video side. And I'm really glad that we're about to share this video because we got a story behind one of these releases, and the journey that the film got to come out is kind of impressive. You'll hear, it's like a decade in the making almost. Let's go to the video.
Speaker 28: Hey, everybody, I'm Nathaniel Thompson. I run the website Mondo Digital. It's Mondo hyphendigital dot com around since nineteen ninety eight. You can hear me on a few hundred audio commentaries. I'm on numerous Shutter shows about horror movies, and I've written several books, most recently The Frightfi Guy to Vampire Movies. But most importantly, I am so glad to be back as a presenter tonight. Tonight I be presenting the award for Best Video Presentation. That is the release from the last year that made your eyeballs the happiest. So, without further ado, the nominees for Best Video Presentation.
Speaker 5: Are The Beyond four K brind House Releasing, Eyes Wide Chut four K Criterion Collection, re Animator four K, Ignite Films, Sinners four K, Steel Book, Warner Brothers Sorcerer four K Criterion Collection.
Speaker 2: Well, there you have it.
Speaker 28: Those are the nominees, and now it's time to find out. First up, the Creators Selection Committees pick for Best Video Presentation. Hmm, well let's find out. It could be Attack Diggy Attack. It is the Beyond four K from Grindhouse Releasing. Congratulations, And next up we have the public vote.
Speaker 2: Which one did all of you.
Speaker 28: Pick as the best video presentation? Well, let's see. Well it's a clean sweep. You picked once again, The Beyond. So you have Face, the Seat of Darkness, and all the wren that may be explored, and you have your winner. So congratulations to Grindhouse releasing with their massive special edition of The Beyond. Well done guys.
Speaker 25: Wow, well that's something I'm really proud of knowing how many years we spent trying to get this thing to look correct. I mean we literally for this release went through four different scans at two labs in Rome. It was such a nightmare because of the condition of the negative and the ability of the first slab in Rome. We pulled it away from them and took it to an incredible place called Limoging retro Vata in Bologna. And then even then it took to two full scans to get it right because the first lab had actually damaged the negative and scratched it, and so when the place in Bologna did the first scan, there were scratches and we had to totally re scan it again using a wetgate scanner. The whole, the whole process we started it in twenty sixteen, and you know here it is, it took nine years to actually come up with this final product. So so yeah, I'm very happy. And then once we got the scans from Bologna, we it was during COVID and and Shotocam Labs here in La helped us out. And we have actually did the color correction in the garage of our photocamp colors because it was during COVID and we were working together, you know, with with masks, so it was it was a really long process. So I'm I felt vindicated getting this great honor, So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Dang, congrats grind Ass releasing. That's a that's a big deal type of release. To get that for and to see nine years of work being put into one title and then the whole community vote for it, that's got to feel pretty incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I dude, I remember doing that. I remember when you sent out the CSC voting. You know, everything was pretty like I was moving through it pretty quick. And then I I got to Best Visual Presentation. I stared at the nominees and I went, oh, fuck, how do you do? Like you know, I clearly, I mean, I think the beyond four k deserves every bit of it. But holy hell, was it up against some just incredible stuff like I'm a Reanimator is one of my favorite movies of all time. Yeah, to put it up against what ig Night Films did with that this year, it was a pretty like impossible task to uh, you know, to do that. And funny enough, today, I actually like I I took the little eyeball out of it, and I didn't know what to do with it, and somehow it ended up in my sock drawer and it just so happened that this morning, I don't know, this morning, I was running low enough on socks that it popped up at the bottom of my drawer, and uh, it was a perfect day for it to but I did jump a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I'm okay, what an eye popping release for you as as you were watching the show tonight. If any of those releases catch your eye and you're like, damn, I really want to buy one of those, one place that you could look to is Odysseymovies dot Com. Uh, Chris, why don't we do our second giveaway and let's make it something at Odyssey Movies.
Speaker 5: Sure sure, so, uh thank you to Odyssey movies. We're gonna be giving away a twenty five dollars gift certificate to their site. So I hope your uh, your Reanimator knowledge is uh, you know, as good as it can be. Because your question is re Animator's location for the Miskatonic Medical School shares the shooting location with what nineteen ninety one film?
Speaker 2: What nineteen ninety one film shares the same shooting location? This is one that you should be able to get pretty quickly, especially if you love either of these two movies. And I have a feeling most of those in the chat do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's see. I'm waiting for it all the pop.
Speaker 2: Up Reanimator throughout the years. Did you pick up the second side of the ignite?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 5: I picked up the ignite? Yep, there it is. It's there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I clicked the wrong one, this one. Jake over at Distorted Visions with the right answer. It is terminator to Terminator to Jake, I tell you to email me, but uh, just give me. I know you DM me and I will get your email address for Travis at Audust See. Thank you and congratulations on the twenty five dollars gift card to Odyssey. Congrats Jake. Good question. By the way, I really you know, tying those two movies together is super interesting and a really fun one. And you know, we just talked about the quality of video. One of the things that I love championing the most about a lot of these releases are not just when a video looks great, because it, yeah, it takes a lot of work to do that, but I love when something goes from looking really terrible to looking really great. We mentioned earlier, not Marion elm Street, something like that, And so one of the ones that I really like to kind of highlight on this is the upgrade on home video restorations. So let's cover that as our next category.
Speaker 17: The heck are you guys watching?
Speaker 29: You know, I'm supposed to be doing this Shelf Shock Rewind Awards Presentation Best Home Video Restoration. I'm supposed to doing that, like right now. You know that, don't you?
Speaker 30: All right?
Speaker 29: I mean, you're just up here like you own the place. I have news for you.
Speaker 4: You do not.
Speaker 2: You do not.
Speaker 29: I'm like, all right, sorry, folks, let me just It'll just be a second.
Speaker 9: Look.
Speaker 29: It's really been one of the great pleasures of my life nurturing you and watching you grow. But this entitlement mentality, I mean, you're just like taking over the whole room.
Speaker 13: This can't.
Speaker 29: Who am I kidding?
Speaker 12: Here's the nominees.
Speaker 5: Behind the Green Door of four K Mitchell Brothers Film Group, from Lucy Dirty Work four K, Vinegar Syndrome, Eyes Wide Shut four K Criterion Collection, Knight of the Juggler four K, Transmission Radiance Sorcerer four K Criterion Collection.
Speaker 9: Seriously, we can't go on like this.
Speaker 29: I mean, this is this is out of control.
Speaker 12: This is too much.
Speaker 5: You know, this is too much?
Speaker 13: Really is the award? Oh?
Speaker 31: Thanks?
Speaker 29: The award, The award for Best Home Video Restoration Upgrade goes to the Community Selection committee has selected Knight of the Juggler four K from Radiance and Transmission sub label, so that takes scare of that.
Speaker 7: And here's this other award.
Speaker 29: Oh I forgot there's two, the Community Award, Eyes Wide Shut four K Criterion. Congratulations Tom Cruise.
Speaker 31: And this came for you in the mail.
Speaker 29: Oh, I'll put them right here.
Speaker 8: That's a good spot.
Speaker 2: I love Jim. The ideas, the ideas are amazing. On the people that are presenting these awards every year.
Speaker 5: Can I just say two of the five for best Home Video restoration are the horniest movies imaginable. And I love seeing that Between Eyes, White Shut and Behind the Green Door.
Speaker 2: Yes, but also when you think about it, like I'm just gonna throw this out there, I kind of feel like Behind the Green Door should have won, Like the four K is remarkable and the previous release way worse than that one. So I don't know, Like I get it, a lot of people did not buy that disc. That is buying, you know, we'll say, Sorcerer, those those those fantass are not crossing. It's not something else that I could have said there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I posted all about Behind the Green Door on my Instagram and I got like seven messages that were like, are you just selling porn?
Speaker 32: Now?
Speaker 5: I'm like, listen, man, let's just learn to appreciate everything, all right.
Speaker 2: Do those people think you're selling everything that you're posting about online?
Speaker 5: I don't know. They're blocked.
Speaker 2: That was a good fit. I really liked that. That was really funny. Well, one thing that Behind the Green Door has a lot of great things going forward is packaging. I know that we always talk about this a lot, but as far as packaging, I am not the biggest proponent of many of the giant packages, but I know a lot of people are and this is always an exciting one. But more exciting for me is we got a voice behind at least one of the packages, the one this year. Let's shoot it over to best Packaging.
Speaker 13: Hello.
Speaker 33: Yeah, I am Jim lenz Kowski with the directors on podcasts, remember the Chicago Film Critics Association, and creator the Now Playing Network and a variety of other fun things that you can find at Jim Laskowski dot net.
Speaker 13: So it's quite.
Speaker 33: The honor to be presenting for this year's edition of shelf Shock Rewind. Thanks to people like Ryan Verel and everybody involved with just the physical media community. I am now an obsessive I am now collecting to the point where there are concerns for my well being from friends and co workers and others that have concerns about my level of obsession when it comes to film, maybe to a little bit of an obsessive degree. And I will say that my fiance is a little bit worried about my obsession with physical media at this point. But I did find her underground in a tunnel, smashing some egg cartons and screaming at the top of her lungs. Yeah, but movies allow us to escape all that and in some cases confront it in a healthy manner. I'm just so grateful that there is this community of people out there. There's a whole lot of things to be grateful for, and one of those things happens to be physical media packaging design.
Speaker 17: So without further ado, let's do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Black Sheep two thousand and six, four K Umbrella Entertainment, I Never're on Elm Street four K Stuable Collection, Warner Brothers Possession, four K, Second Sight Films, Teenage Mutant, Ninja Turtles Trilogy, four K Aero Video, The Wes Anderson Archive ten Films twenty five years on four K Criterion Collection.
Speaker 33: The winner selected by the community first and foremost is the Wes Anderson Collection from Criterion ten Films twenty five Years four K. It's a spectacularly put together collection of films that I happen to love and enjoy immensely. And the winner from the Creators Selection Committee for best Packaging Design happens to be Possession.
Speaker 12: From Second Side.
Speaker 34: Look at how beautiful it is.
Speaker 33: Thank you so much, and congratulations to Second Site. Who continuously puts out great work. I cannot say enough good things about them, and I certainly adore the film Possession. And of course I came home and was at the bottom of the stairs clutching my copy of Session. But everything's okay, Now, what just happened?
Speaker 12: What year is this?
Speaker 35: Wow?
Speaker 36: That's so nice, Thank you. Well. I did this alongside with Eric Skillman from the Criterion Collection, and then of course Wes Anderson. You know, it was his vision to have this nineteen seventies inspired encyclopedia set that felt like get it at a yard sale, and so it was an honor to be able to work on it. And it felt like I had been training my whole life for this because I love that style of design. So it felt I felt really grateful to be able to be a part of it. So thank you.
Speaker 17: That's incredible, Thank you so much, guys. Yeah, the Pacatum was a labor of love. We actually found a French poster that was the size of a bus, so we had to get it photographed in different sections, in different sections and then put that together again digitally. So yeah, that was a task in and of itself. Yeah, we actually sent the cleaned up version to Bache of the Artist as well, and we sent her the original post that we'd found and bought. So yeah, she has the the biggest poster known to man has been sent for so yeah. To see it go down so well is yeah, it makes it all worth it.
Speaker 2: I want to live a life where somebody sends me a poster of possession the size of a bus and that's just like a normal day for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can. I could probably wrap that on all four walls of this room and I'd be fine with it.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be amazing?
Speaker 5: I do want to say that the wes Anderson from Criterion collection is the most wes Anderson wes Anderson thing I think I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: It's perfectly agreed. Yeah, absolutely fits perfectly. Congrats to Beth. That was one. I was so stoked that I was able to get her to be a part of this. Her choices on that release are just simply astonishing. It's something that I was impressed by the moment I heard that she was doing it, the moment I saw it. And if you go to Beth's website without even the wes Anderson aspect of it, you look at it and go, yeah, of course she should have designed the Wes Anderson box set. I will say though Black Sheep was robbed. I know I already said the chat, but that box set is by far the best designed of everything that we just saw in the categories. Black Sheep should have won. It was amazing. Not any other releases coming covered in wool. Guys, come on, let's go over that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, the wool blood soaked wool presentation is because they did that before with Saspot's Sunset. I think as well.
Speaker 2: They did, Yes, they did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's so good man, it's such a good idea.
Speaker 2: What is always exciting is when people come in and rag on steel books because I'm not a huge steel book fan like a lot of people, but I always love and we get the right person to present award. And what makes more sense than somebody that is literally called steel book obsessed. So let's send it over to Jake.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, Jake here from steel book Obsessed, and it's an absolute privilege of mine to help announce what the best steel book is, both from the committee and from the community. I adore that disconnected the shelf shock rewind is an amazing award ceremony. It's an honor just to be a part of it. There were two hundred and thirty two steel book releases in the US this year. I had one hundred and forty one of them. There were so many great choices to choose from this year, but here are the nominees that made the final list.
Speaker 5: Bogie Nights four K, Warner Brothers Dogma four K, Lionsgate Limited, A Nightmare on Elm Street four K Collection, Warner Brothers Panic Room four K, Sony Pictures, Small Soldiers four K, Paramount Pictures.
Speaker 4: Those are all great nominees. I have all of them in my collection behind me. But there can only be one winner. Let's open up the blank steel book to see exactly who the winner is and will you have it? Will you look at that? Both the Creator Selection Committee and the community winner for Best steal Book is this heavy honker for a Nightmare on Elm Street box set. This is a holy Grail piece that is now a reality thanks to Warner Brothers. Hopefully they continue to put out amazing physical media. In twenty twenty six and beyond, we'll see what happens with the whole netflix of it all. But let's just revel in the positivity that is this amazing box set for an amazing horror franchise. Back to you, Ryan and Chris.
Speaker 2: We went this long, just over and now until somebody said the word Netflix. But thanks Jake, it could have been worse. I guess I'm glad. I'm glad that this one in a way. But also I did say in the chat already, this is the most obvious wind of the entire night. I promise the rest are not quite as obvious. But when you're talking about best steel books and you get a full steel book collection for a horror franchise, there's not a lot of options for people that are just die hard about horror. And uh yeah it looks nice. It is something that is wonderful. Release, Glad it came out. Glad that people could find joy in that entirely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean there was no surprise there. I mean, having the original artwork, all the individual steel books. I love not having the titles on the front of each of them. I think that was a nice way to kind of like clean it up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The nice little image on the back is something other than just having a blank you know. Back on it, but I think it's the whole entire the whole entire case in general. Having the little details with the torn sweater on it, kind of like the embossing and stuff on that release, I think really puts it over the top. So I think it's well deserved, even though it's a kind of a give me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of a gimme. What is also important about it is, again, they put so much time to the restoration, so I really want to highlight that part. I know that we're really talking about the Steel books and that cool. It's a wonderful franchise. I love the movies. I'm just glad they look so good. Yeah, let's continue. Every year for the last handful of years, we always bring in a special segment to memorialize somebody that contributed a lot to the industry, and that is the incredible film his story in Sergio Mims. And now we've got kind of a long segment, so Chris and I are going to be off the screen for a minute. But I really hope people appreciate the y Yeah, uh, here we go.
Speaker 5: Sergio Mims was best known as a Chicago based film critic and the co founder of the annual Black Harvest Film Festival, but he also championed classical music, especially the works of black composers. Sergio died in October twenty twenty two at the age of sixty seven and left behind a legacy of encouragement, education and passion.
Speaker 2: The past three recipients of the Sergio Mims Memorial Award were Kayla Denise Sam Degan and Eugenio Ricolani. All three continue to work tirelessly to deliver high quality analysis on film through various outlets. We have pushed to give an award in Sergio's name and will continue as long as these awards continue. For the twenty twenty five Shelf Shock for Rewinde Awards, we would like to present the Sergio Mims Memorial Award for extra Ordinary Contributions to Film critique, context and Commentary to Alexandra Heller Nicholas.
Speaker 5: If you've picked up any number of releases from any boutique Blu Ray company in the last decade or so, there's a one hundred percent chance you have seen the name Alexandra Heller Nicholas. She has become one of the most distinctive and prolific voices in contemporary film scholarship, particularly in the realms of horror, cult, and exploitation cinema.
Speaker 2: Her academic work bridges popular genre studies and serious theoretical inquiry, and shows us that films that have been ignored or dismissed as marginal or trash are in fact rich sites of formal experimentation, political discourse, and cultural interest. Through her books on rapeerven cinema, found footage, horror, witchcraft, and cult filmmakers, she has consistently modeled how close textual analysis, feminist theory, and historical contextualization can convey complex analysis in accessible and entertaining language.
Speaker 5: Beyond the page. Heller Nicholas has made an extraordinary contribution to film culture through her Blu Ray audio commentary and video essays, which now number in the hundreds. Her commentaries combined production history, genre contexts, theoretical framing, and scene specific analysis, all delivered with genuine enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Physical media increasingly has become a vital archive of film history, and her work ensures that genre cinema is preserved as an object of study worthy of intellectual engagement.
Speaker 5: What distinguishes her contribution's most is the generosity of her approach. She treats filmmakers, audiences, and the films themselves with seriousness and respect. Whether unpacking the politics of violence and exploitation cinema or illuminating the craft behind cult classics, Heller Nicholas embodies a model of public scholarship that is both academically rigorous and audience friendly. Her work reminds us that criticism can expand the canon and deepen our appreciation of films we thought we already knew.
Speaker 2: We would like to say thank you to Alexandra Heller Nicholas for her prolific list of accomplishments, her ability to champion and remain enthusiastic about every film, and her passion for physical media across the wide range of genres and mediums.
Speaker 5: We would like to share some words of appreciation from a few of her peers and collaborators to share with all of you today.
Speaker 17: Alex is literally one of the best academics. I a recovering academic, as she would like to say, but her knowledge of cinema is inspiring, and how she is able to just memorize all this stuff about films is incredible and I am generally in all of the woman. She is an absolute force of nature and yeah, ty lover, and yeah she deserves it.
Speaker 19: I think some people would classify Alex as a critic. A critic usually is meant to you know, you agree, you align with their taste.
Speaker 7: They can sway you from a movie to watch not to watch. Alex has always kind of inspired people to watch movies, I think, a big difference that critics aren't able to do. Sometimes she influences you, and she challenges you to venture off on your own and dig deep into maybe something that she's that she's in love with.
Speaker 37: Huge congratulations, Alex. It's such a cool award and has been so wonderful to work with you. You've been a huge inspiration to my work and so very supportive over many, many years now, and so I'm just thrilled that you're being recognized. Congratulations.
Speaker 35: If I was to try and list all of the reasons that I love and admire Alex, it could easily fill the pages of a book. Although, unlike Alex, who I suspect never actually takes a break to sleep. In the time it would take me to write that book, Alex would probably have written and published no less than ten books, and mine would still be nowhere.
Speaker 13: Near as good.
Speaker 35: I first met Alex many years ago to a screening of the House with Laughing Windows, a film that, oddly enough, we wound up recording an audio commentary for which released last year. So to say that was a fortuitous meeting is something of an understatement, because I've had the good fortune to work with Alex on a number of projects over the years, going all the way back to our days together on community radio Station three Triple R one oh two point seven on Plato's Cave, and in all the time I've known her, I have to say that her dedication to film culture is matched only by the truly intimidating output of her work that she's produced over the years, the book publications, the audio commentaries, the essays, the articles, conference papers, radio and podcast appearances. But beyond that, sheer volume of her work, or the passion that she brings to each project, the rigorous level of research, the depth of her film knowledge. One of the things that I admire the most is her absolute dedication to making those insights and contributions accessible, without pretension, without academic stuffiness. It's never about gatekeeping for Alex, but about conveying the deep love that she has for the medium to that audience in whatever form that might be, whether it's high art or low art. It's always about the particular film first and foremost, and about opening cinema up to new insights and new audiences. There's always a selflessness in her approach, which I think is as rare as it is enviable. And I think that's evident too in the way that she lifts up those around her, the way that she uses her platform, and especially in her producing work to elevate voices that may not always be the most obvious candidates, but are the ones that best serve the particular project by bringing new or alternative perspectives to a film. And I am absolute proof of that, because there's no exaggeration to say that I wouldn't have had the good fortune to have worked on many of the projects that I have without her having my back, without her opening those doors for me, And for that, I'm not only forever in her debt, but also eternally grateful. I'm lucky to count her as a colleague, but even luckier to count her as a dear, dear friend. So Alex congrats on this latest recognition. It is thoroughly well earned, and I can't wait to blind by all of those forthcoming purchases that have your name on them. Viva la Cinema and long lived physical media.
Speaker 32: Alexandra Holy Cannoli. What a gold standard of a writer, a commensator, a personality and or person I adore Alexandra, Helen Nichols. This woman, this creative, this writer is somebody who everything she touches is rich, fascinating, intelligent. All of her work has this absolutely intoxicating combination of keen, observation, knowledge, and just overall just really a great sense of intelligence that is, you know, that you learn a lot from. And she never talks down to the reader. She never talks down to the listener. She is basically does that thing that all of my heroes do, which is like she basically is like kind of extending an arm and being like, come here, check this out. And I adore that about her. On top of her just always phenomenal work. She is the gold standard of a person in the film community. Alexandra is always, to me, consistently somebody who shines and is classy, is funny, very generous. There's never any of any sort of potential, you know, you know, every community has its toxicities. Alexandra is never involved with that. She's always rising above it. She never gets tainted by it. She's always just one hundred percent generous and nice and kind and funny. She can have like a savage wit about her, but her heart is golden like I absolutely adore her, and I would be hard pressed to think of somebody more deserving than this of this award than Alexandra. She is absolutely what all of us in this community should aspire to be.
Speaker 33: The level of.
Speaker 32: She's absolutely phenomenal and absolutely congratulations to this just juggernaut of a creator and all of the kudos and love.
Speaker 2: Well there we have it. I really hope that people take this as a moment to not only look at alex Heller Nicholas's work, but also Sergio Mims's work and all those people that are just out there constantly praising her work. And it's a lot to praise because I cannot name anybody more prolific in home video than Alexander. Because I swear every week of my show I mentioned her name a number of times, and that is awesome. But holy hell, Alexandra, take a break sometimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, this is you know people like her are the reason why the people like you get into this like we do, people like you know myself and Steve with the podcast. She's come up probably at some point in every single episode we've done in some capacity. Like that's the level of influence. And I can't encourage people enough to if you haven't seen her work or heard her voice, seek it out and find out. I'm sure it's on your shelves somewhere.
Speaker 2: Not only somewhere, And many of the releases, I do want to say Alexandra is approachable, and I think that's one of the most important thing. On so many of these releases. Chris and I have both been championing the idea of physical media being education and I really hope people embrace that for years to come. On that note, let's get back to some of our other pieces. We were just talking about packaging and steelbook and of course what goes hand in hand with that but great artwork. So let's cover the best artwork of the year.
Speaker 12: Hello. My name is Will Dodson. I'm a writer and a media studies professor, and I am delighted to be presenting the award for Best Artwork the nominees.
Speaker 5: Are altered States four K by Richie Beckett, Criterion Collection, The Deadly Spawned four K by Wes Ben Scoter, Synapp's Films, Freaked four K by Thomas Nicolette, Umbrella Entertainment, A History of Violence four K by Connor Williamson, Criterion Collection, a newly four K Michael Deforge cinematograph.
Speaker 12: And the winner of the Creator's Selection Committee is altered States for the Criterion Collection. The winner of the community vote is altered States Criterion Collection.
Speaker 38: Damn, Okay, that's abstely wild. Wow, that's crazy, man.
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm so.
Speaker 13: Hoestly, like I live.
Speaker 38: Kind of outside of that world in many ways, with like his comedia stuff, I'm like such a sort of led eye in these ways.
Speaker 2: I felt like.
Speaker 38: When we put out that Criterion Ought and I saw all the other incredible artwork that was coming out even just in that way, even continuously, you know, like I was, it was a big deal making it. And then when I saw it come out, you know, I saw how much other incredible art was going on in that.
Speaker 13: And which is really exciting to see.
Speaker 38: I guess my point in that is like I don't, yeah, I don't know how how it lands with every with everyone else collectively amongst all of the other incredible artists out there.
Speaker 7: You know, that's amazing.
Speaker 38: Thank you, Thank you to anyone who had any part in doing or making this put none in that way.
Speaker 11: That's extremely extremely cool.
Speaker 38: I don't feel like i've ever I haven't really been awarded anything in that way before, So yeah, I kind of learning thinking that's extremely cool. You know, I come from a time of sort of like going to the video store. I don't even now use Blu rays and DVDs and things like that, Like I don't even have really physical media myself I have. I come from, you know, I grew up going to the video store buying something very much based the packaging was so integral to what I was taking home with me and the decisions I made about what I was going to watch. And going into to the video store, you'd go with an idea of what you wanted to get, but invariably you would go in it was someone else who you had it out, and they only had three copies, so then you'd have to go for a wild card option, and that would very often be based on what the artwork was and I also feel that in that era, the artwork often was not entirely representation of exactly what the film was, even you know, it's as kind of a step away from it. I always think of it like the idea of what the art would be if you were telling your friend about the film. You know, this is what this film is. So if it comes to me to then make art represent a film, whether it's a poster or whether it's packaging, like this, I wanted to look like what you'd tell your mate the film was, you know, not just a picture of even depicting a specific moment necessarily from it, but maybe something's just a bit more of a fantastical take on it, you know, with that move with alted status. It's already such a visually stunning film with so many visual like when I was asked to do it, immediately I jumped at the chance, just thinking like, oh, yeah, this is this is the perfect film that I would want to do, because it's just just that Cameraussell had so many crazy ideas with it and pulled in so many incredible visual ideas into one place. And then I was kind of overwhelmed for a minute of what I was going to do with it because there were kind of too many options, but yeah, I just wanted something really kind of explosive really for the cover, So I drew the whole thing on a scrape on like a scraperboard and a clayboard, so it's all actually just it's not drawn in pen and ink like I would normally do. It's actually just scraped into a black scraper board that reveals white underneath with it like this little old we advantage tool that I use. But I kind of discovered a new process on this piece. Specifically, I'd always been obsessed with Bob Peak, who did like all of the Excalibur art Arrow Video put out recently, the excal of It set with and the thing I love about it, they actually just used all of his art. They just printed all of it, which is incredible because no one needs to ever revisit that film in that way because it's he That's not my favorite art of all time for a film, you know, But I always wanted to do something with that because he has all of those bright shods of light in it, and it's a very specific thing, and I was like, if I can smash that together with my pen and ink work, and with the visuals of Alted States, and that was the vision for it really, so it's like that inspired by Bob Peek, but then trying to put that through the filter of a completely different style because he used airbrush, so for airbrushing, all of that makes complete sense to have these shods of light flowing around, and it doesn't really lend itself to pen and ink, but somehow I found a way to. Yeah, I feel like I discovered something new for myself on that project.
Speaker 2: I get something so nice as part of this community to see an artist that doesn't ever get to talk about these doesn't get notified that like people even like this stuff. He kept going on and on with me about how he's not into the technology side of things, so he is so part of the pun here but disconnected from the entire home video industry. And seeing him like immediately get emotional when I told him the community voted for him to win. I man, it meant so much in that moment that I love that he could do that. And then to hear so much, like what else are we going to hear about the process of him creating a brand new process to make this art? It was so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and I mean the most recent Criterion sale. I didn't even really learn to appreciate the Altered States cover until it was next to and alongside a bunch of other Criterion titles, and I was like, holy shit, this stands out. And I also just want to shout out because I know it got a lot of criticism, but the History of Violence artwork is so good, so good in contrast to the movie, and it got such a like a harsh reaction upon the announcement, and I felt like I was on the few that was like, dude, this fits so well in some weird way. And that's another one that looks great on the shelf as well.
Speaker 2: I agree. One thing that I love, of course, is all the on disc supplements. So that's the next portion that we're going to talk about. I'm going to do the first category, which is going to be Best Interview, and right after this one we'll get into our next giveaway. So let's cover the best Interview from twenty twenty five.
Speaker 34: Okay, okay, thanks for sitting down with us today. Welcome to the twenty twenty six Shelf Shock Rewind Awards. Now, for the record, can I have you state your name?
Speaker 8: Sure, I'm Dustin Putman.
Speaker 34: And what would you say you're best known for in the creative space.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been a film critic for literally decades. Lord help me. I'm the author of the book The Fright File one hundred and fifty Films to See Before Halloween. Well, I've been fortunate enough to appear as a guest on several different film related podcasts and YouTube shows these last few years. And oh, and coming up, I contributed an essay to New Way Videos upcoming Blu Ray release of Narico's Dinner Table.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I did not ask you all that.
Speaker 34: Oh, can you tell me the category you're presenting?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure thing. I'll be presenting the award for Best New Interview and the nominees are.
Speaker 5: Kicking against the Pricks. Interview with John Waters cecil b Demented Umbrella Entertainment interview with Mikey Madison. A Nora four K criterion collection conversation between Reiner and actor Patton Oswald. This is Spinal Tap four K Criterion collection, The Horror of Normality. Germel del Toro on Possession, Possession, four K Second Sight Films, Wild and Woody. A new Video interview with actor Willem Dafoe, New Rose Hotel Cinematograph.
Speaker 12: What an amazing lineup? Can you tell us the winners?
Speaker 13: Sure?
Speaker 8: Can. I'm so happy to announce the winners for Best New Interview, as voted on by the Creator Selection Committee and the community are one and the same, and the winner is the Horror of Normality Guerma del Toro on Possession. Possession four K from Second Site Films. Congratulations on this great honor.
Speaker 13: Excellent.
Speaker 34: Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Speaker 8: Oh? Yeah, sure, just three more things. Number One, the Academy clearly wasn't ready for Possession in nineteen eighty one. Two, the film is actually about divorce. And three all hail the octopus. Thank you.
Speaker 17: Now amazing. GMO is an absolute legend, and he was kind enough to take us for tea and scones in London when he was doing a location Wreki for Frankenstein and Yeah, he heared that we were putting out Possession and he was like, please put me on the disc. I need to talk about this film. I love it, And he was true to his word.
Speaker 2: Any story about Gearble del Toro treating somebody too good? Tea and Scones is like, we gotta have we gotta have that id here. I love that Philip shared.
Speaker 5: That instant envy for me. Like the moment he said it, I was like, God, how man I want that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Could you imagine tea and scones with Gearable del Toro talking about possession? Isn't that like a perfect Sunday?
Speaker 31: I don't know.
Speaker 5: If I could eat, like, I don't know, if I could drink and eat, I'd have to just I would forget and I'd just be staring into his eyes listening.
Speaker 2: Story of my life. I am so glad to see that Garble del Toro got some recognition as a big champion of physical media. I think it's an important part of having him on there. But you know what, another perfect Sunday is winning some physical media. I am giving away a stack of my own releases, things that I can part with for mine And so for this next one, I'm not sharing the titles. Just send me an email at shelf shock Rewind at gmail dot com if you can answer this question first that Chris is about.
Speaker 5: All right, this is this is for you all horny folks out there. What year did the Mitchell brothers open their famous Oh farh theater.
Speaker 2: This is another one that should be pretty obvious.
Speaker 5: When I learned this information when I was diving into the box, and I was like, of course it is yep.
Speaker 2: Chris was close on that one. But our winner is already Robert Francis. It is nineteen sixty nine. Robert, you have one. Of course, it's nineteen sixty nine. Of course, Robert. Send me an email shelf shock rewind at gmail dot com, and I will send you a stack of my own physical media all for you to love and appreciate, and I can give it a good home.
Speaker 17: Just nice.
Speaker 2: I mean, we got to say that right, like there it.
Speaker 5: Is, yeah, very nice. Yeah, you know, it's what I read that I went into this like whole Mitchell Brother's history dive, and that was the one thing that I was like, oh sixty nine, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: As somebody has already texted me saying it looks like somebody else commented first, just a heads up, it did not come first on our screen. That was the first one. We do have multiple streams watching, so somebody could be on another channel. My wife is saying, hey, a e stand comments at first. Actually know on the other stream, it was somebody else. I promise there are multiple places that we're getting comments from. But as we're talking about Adult fair and the Mitchell Brothers, let's send it over to somebody that appreciates some more of that, and maybe hear from somebody that worked on some adult films. Here we go.
Speaker 13: Hi.
Speaker 31: My name is Rachel Belboar and I write non visual essays for the website Comic Con. I also have a regular column and the Physical Media Advocate. Today however, I am here with my co presenter Chucky, present the award for Best Visual Essay. Visual essays are fantastic. It's a really cool bonus feature. Hopefully Morley, we'll get on that train. But like seeing Chuck you without hearing Brad Door's voice, that's a cool opportunity to actually get to hear from writers and experts whose work you probably already read, but now you get to find out what they sound like. And on the creator's side, you get to find out that certain actors' names that you've been saying in your head for years, you've been pronouncing them wrong, or maybe that's the meat problem. I'm a writer, but I certainly appreciate what goes in the visual essays of editing. There's finding clips, there's making sure you can use the clips. Because of copyright, visual essays awesome deserve all the attention and that's why we're giving them on award tonight. So without further ado, the nominees of Best Visual Essay are.
Speaker 5: Heiro Scuro, The Double Life of Antonio di Algasino by Ian Higbee, Eva Man Macagro, Sailor, Suits and Sound by Philip Jeffries, School in the Crosshairs cult Epics from Lethal Weapons to Nice Guys by Lee Singer, The Nice Guy's four K second Sight Films, Technological Oblivion and Transcendence by Suzanne Boland, rubbers Lover, New Wave Video, Ugly People Doing Ugly Things Wes Craven and The Fireworks Woman Saga Joseph Madrid. The Fireworks Woman Quality x Melusine.
Speaker 31: The winner of this year's Best Vicial Essay goes too, Thank you, Chuckie. We actually have two winners this year from the creative Selection committee. We have Kamalisa Weapons to Nice Guys by Lee Singer and that appeared on Second Site's blu ray release of The Nice Guys.
Speaker 30: Congratulations, and from the community side, we have ugly people doing ugly things. Birth Craven and the Fireworks Women saga like Jesseph Magic and that appeared on Melusine's Belief of Fireworks Women. Congratulations see both.
Speaker 17: Oh wow, what an honor.
Speaker 39: That's very lovely to hear.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 17: Okay, okay.
Speaker 39: So I've been working with Second Sight for good last few years and they are a great, you know, boutique distribution company here. I think they do absolutely beautiful box sets and special editions, and so it's been a real thrill to kind of pitch video essays or visual essays to go you know along there. They have a great usually a great roster of extras that they put onto their features, and so, you know, it's the idea is always trying and come up with something that you know, gives a bit of additional insight or analysis or commentary, you know, alongside the booklets and you know the audio comentaries. You know, you want it to be its own sort of standalone piece. So you know, I've been really fortunate. I've done maybe four or five films with them. So if I'm working on another one right now, and they give you a lot of freedom, so I would like to shout out the people at Second Sight who you know, obviously Chris Holden who got me involved in the beginning, and Philip Escott at the company, who puts in a huge amount of work, you know, just getting material because obviously the thing with the video essay is you need the clips and the films to put together, you know, for sort of broadcast quality whatever. But it's you know, they give me a great amount of freedom and support, so I'm hugely thankful to them. I usually add in some additional music. So there's a guy called Joshua Knox over in the UK who makes original music. He's on if you've got on Instagram some Night's Records, that's him. You can check him out there. But I feel that adds a lot to it as well when the music kicks in. But yeah, I mean it's it's a really you know, I make video essays and I've been doing that for about ten years or so. I'm a film journalist in the UK, but I write still, but video work has become, you know, an increasing part of what I do and I just find you know, I'm a big advocate for the form. I think it it allows you to talk about films in a different way. You know, the very fact that you're seeing stuff rather than trying to describe what you're seeing in a written medium. And I look at it as filmmaking. You know, it's with I would say, with a small f, because you're using other people's beautifully produced you know, shots, you know, scored beautifully active, beaut if you're in. But if you're doing it well, I think there's an element of filmmaking. You know, a script and your own music, and you know how you cut stuff together tempo, rhythm, et cetera. Obviously what you want to say about something. And for me, it's sort of reinvigorated my whole kind of journalistic practice. And The Nice Guys is a favor of mine.
Speaker 17: Yeah, Lee is an incredible talent and his video essays always deliver. And I know he went all out on The Nice Guys. It took him a while. He was really smugging away at that and yeah, it's great to see him rewarded for the hard work to put into that.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 40: Uh uh, Yeah, that's wild man. Who would have ever thought that I would get an award for talking about Wes Craven's Lost porn movie that's a that's a unique distinction.
Speaker 13: I think all this came.
Speaker 40: About was I gotta I got a call from my friend Elijah Drenner, who works for Vinegar Syndrome. He had had read the book that I wrote, The Soul of West Craven, which is a critical biography, and it has a whole chapter on the Fireworks Woman. He said, you know, we'd love to have you record something for this Blu Ray release. We're putting out the original, theat trial cut of The Fireworks Woman, which I had not seen at that point. So that was exciting news for me. You know, I duck up a lot of information on the Fireworks Woman when I was researching the book, but it was kind of bits and pieces. There were certain people who didn't want to talk about it for you know, maybe obvious reasons, and you know, it took some real digging. And the big discovery came about because of a conversation I had with Roy Frumkus, who was a friend of Wes's in the mid seventies and and who is also part of the Blu Ray release of The Fireworks Woman. There's an interview with him on there, and he just kind of casually mentioned at one point we were talking. You know, Wes wrote this script for this film and one of the people he shared it with was Norman Mailer, who was also working on some films in the same post house in New York where Wes was working, and so he showed the script to Norman Mailor. Mailer supposedly liked it. You know, that was just sort of a fun anecdote. But being the nerd that I am, you know, I have this habit of going down rabbit holes. So I just said, you know, I wonder where Mailer's literary papers are, and I wondered if there's any chance that he held on to this script and that this this script might be floating around in Norman Mailer's papers. So, you know, I went to the finding aid for the Harry Ransom Center in Austin, Texas, and sure enough, there it was The Fireworks Man script by Wes Craven and Roger Murphy. So, you know, I thought there was a real opportunity when Elijah came to me and said, we're putting out the theatrical cut for the first time. This is a cut of the film that unless you saw The Fireworks Woman in the theater in nineteen seventy five. You weren't going to have seen this cut, you know. I'd seen the VHS cut, the VHS cuts all over the internet, you know, but it's shorter, and some of the more controversial and interesting moments of the film we're not in it. So I thought, here's a here's a really interesting opportunity to talk about what Wes's original plan for the film was, what he wrote down, what's in the script, and to do kind of a compare contrast with the theatrical cuts, so two different kind of versions of the story that you know, really until this this release, people didn't know. I mean, you can go to the Harry Ransom Center if you want read the script. It's there, but I figure most people probably aren't going to do that. So I thought it was exciting to to talk about, you know, Wes's story in its in its purest form.
Speaker 41: Uh.
Speaker 40: And that's and that's really what the guys at Vinegar Syndrome and Melosine, that's what they put out. You know, I'm grateful that this version of the film exists. I'm grateful to be a part of it, and I appreciate that you're drawing attention to it, and then it's been so well received.
Speaker 2: This man wrote, what is the best way to say this, like an exhaustive history of Wes Craven, and we got him as part of the show to talk about his long lost adult movie. And that's just beautiful to me, like the fact that he started this with a sentiment of like, haha, what are you doing awarding me for that? But we get this really wonderful story about like film history surrounding Norman Mayler and Wes Craven and that is, you know, a part of many of our shelves. Now, that's that's just amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean that book is incredible. But I adore visual essays because to me, beyond studio releases and making of documentaries, that's the gateway for people. I think that's the easiest starting point for a lot of people because there's a visual component and then from there, getting into like interviews and audio commentaries are kind of the next step. But I feel like that's kind of where my deeper foray began. It was like, I'm really into documentaries really in the the making of stuff, started discovering visual essays and then that kind of opened the door for like, I think I can sit down in a couch or on my couch and listen to an hour and a half interview, And then that turned into let me watch the movie four times with three different commentary tracks, and now it's led to me where I am now an absolute sociopath.
Speaker 2: So yes, all of us that love physical media are sociopaths. One way that you could join us and be a sociopath is by enjoying the written essays that get a lot of work put into them. Some of them will just blow your mind. There were ones that were not nominated this year that are some of the best things that I've read in years. They came out in twenty twenty five, and I really hope people are cracking open there like a limited editions, actually reading the books cover to cover. Check them out. If you love a movie, you will love it even more after reading up on the context behind it. And shout out to a dear friend and previous co host of this very award show to tell us who won for Best Newly Written Essay.
Speaker 42: Oh hello, good evening. My name is Celeste Leacabro. You may know me from this very channel or even previous iterations of this very award show. You may also know me from my YouTube channel, appropriately entitled Celeste Lacabro. You may also also know me from my essays that I've produced for discs from Deaf Crocodile, a new wave video. You may also also know me from my segment fifteen Minutes with You on the Punk Vacation podcast, reviewing classic and contemporary erotic cinema. You may also also know me from my general propensity to piss off Zack Sniner perverts, Republicans, fascists, and centrists on the Internet, such as my Want. I'm here with the distinct honor to present the award for Best New Written Essay. You know there's a bit of a written essayist myself. I know a thing or two about the written word. I have explored its power and its seduction intimately and thoroughly. I have and will always advocate for the written essays to not be marginalized to the limited edition.
Speaker 4: Only.
Speaker 42: The writing that my fellow critics and historians create is valuable. I'm happy to be a part of celebrating them. Without all being said, the nominees for Best New Written Essay are as follows.
Speaker 5: The Eva Man Films by Ismail Fernandez, Eva Man Manda Macabre, The Innkeepers by Heather Wickson, The Innkeeper's four K second site Films, On Possession by Elena Alazak, Possession four K second site Films, Twisted Issues by Heather Drain, Twisted Issues, Saturn's Core Audio and Video, The Sadness by Michelle Kisner, The Sadness four k ero video.
Speaker 42: And the award their best New Written Essay goes to On Possession by Ellen Alazak from Appropriately the second Site limited deluxe edition of Possession, my second favorite film of all time and my favorite release of the year. I'm very happy to have presented this. Congratulations Elena, thank you for all your wonderful work, and uh goot out Isabella Johnny forgets.
Speaker 17: Yeah. Elena is a force of nature and when it comes to horror and Artautara, she is one of the best to do it, so very well deserved.
Speaker 2: Want to shout out women who are brilliant. Lots of women nominated in this category, Lots of women nominated for visual essay for our I think it was a visual essay, but commentaries were about to see in just a moment. Women are truly incredible in this field and do not get enough attention. And for that note, I did want to point out that as we honored Alexander Heller Nicholas earlier. I didn't know this, but she was watching live as we were sharing that video with the world and she was emailing me. I invited her to come on, but she said she was too emotional after this and said that she truly loved the support and just want to say thank you to everybody that has given her love in the chat because it meant a lot to her. So that means a lot to me, the fact that people are watching this and care, so thank you, Alexandra.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you. And I really need people to crack open their books when they get these releases. I feel like that's the last thing people go to and read them cover to cover and pay attention to who's writing them. Read them twice three times if you have to, to fully understand and take in the information. But please open them up and appreciate them, because some of the best work you will ever read on a film are hiding in that thing you're afraid to open.
Speaker 2: So some of the other places that you'll find a lot of stuff in audio commentaries and now you and I are somebody that will sit here, listen to an audio commentary and take a bunch of notes. But I love to see the right people get commendation for the amount of work that they're putting into these So let's cover the best audio commentary of the year.
Speaker 43: Hey, physical media lovers, this is Stephen from Beyond the Blood podcast, where we discuss our favorite horror films and dissect the audio commentaries behind them. Last year was a massive win for physical media. We had a number of boutique labels that delivered incredible four K restorations, stack special features, and thought full audio commentaries that reminded us why we collect.
Speaker 5: Alexandra Heller, Nicholas and Alison Taylor Possession four K Second Sight Films, Frank Sebastiano and Mike Hunchback, Dirty Work four K Vinegar Syndrome, Arna Venomma and Mike Leader Inflatable Sex, To All the Wastelands, def Crocodile, Sam Deagan, Altered State's four K Criterion Collection, Willow Caitlyn McLay and Kaden Mark Gardner, Eva Man, Manda Micagery.
Speaker 43: I'm honored to be announcing the winners for Best New Audio commentary. The Creators Selection Committee winner is Alexander Heller Nicholas and Alison Taylor for the Possession for k Rel from Second Save Films, and the Community winner is Sam Degan for the Altered Stage four kre release from the Criterion Collection. Two incredible selections and a reminder of why physical media and the voices behind it matters so much. Audio commentaries keep these films alive, deep in the experience and connect us to the art in a whole new way. I'm Stephen from Beyond the Blood and I'll catch you guys on the next episode.
Speaker 44: Well, I don't know about Ali, but I'm absolutely tickled pink. And as much as I would like to take credit for this, I think it's really worth pointing out that I was really there to kind of facilitate Ali, who literally wrote the book on Possession is.
Speaker 45: I will accept sharing this.
Speaker 44: Prize, this award, but it's really Ali and her amazing film brain. And I guess Ali, your dedication to this film extends to the point that you're doing this video while you're in Berlin.
Speaker 17: I mean it just felt right. It felt right.
Speaker 37: No, I think I was coming on here to say the opposite, which is. I think a lot of credit goes to Alex and the joy of lighting a bong for Bob I will never forget. But yeah, I'm in Berlin, which is just so fitting. I've just come a couple of hours ago from checking out the Red Carpet. I stood there in the rain with my little hood on and got absolutely soaked, but it was well worth it.
Speaker 13: And then I.
Speaker 37: Get to come back and talk about Possession. What a dream come true. I'm a film nerd heaven right now. But yeah, I'm super super stoked and very happy that we got voted for.
Speaker 17: That's so kind.
Speaker 37: I'm just a film nerd doing what film nerds do.
Speaker 7: And you do it so well.
Speaker 44: We Chris and Phil and you know the great Daniel Byrd of course in Possession or roads lead back to Daniel. Yes, so I'll be They're very much a part of this story. Like we quite literally wouldn't have done this commentary without those people being involved. Sorry, Daniel in particular, is you know somebody that I know that we're both immensely grateful to for a whole.
Speaker 17: Bunch of reasons.
Speaker 44: Yeah, thank you. So we're so tickled. It's really amazing.
Speaker 37: I could not have written that book without without his input. He is the Possession expert. Having spent so much time with Chiwolski, and so I've learned a great deal from him. I've learned a great deal from Alex and yeah, it's just it's really exciting. So thank you Ryan.
Speaker 17: Oh excellent, And yeah, they are two actually powerhouses of knowledge and they deserve all the acclaim the absolute legend. Alex in particular is you know, an absolute legend. And yeah, the more she wins, the better of the community is because yeah, she deserves all the awards.
Speaker 2: Possession taking it away tonight. I know a lot of people in the chatter noticing, Yeah, Possession got a lot of attention this year, which is great because it came out late in the year. But also I understand the the ire some people have with that because it has been released so so many times. But I know something that you and I have talked about before are definitive editions and as of this point, there is no reason Possession ever needs to be released again unless it's coming out in the US because it's not had a good, proper current release of it, or like Italy or Germany or somewhere like that. You've got a proper Australian release, you've got a proper UK release. I think we can probably let a rest after that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think it's time. I think it's time to start working on something else. So this is the definitive release, uh, And I mean it's it's incredible that it's getting so much attention because the work behind it is years in the making and this was talked about so many times over what I feel like has been the last three years we knew it was coming from Second Site. Everybody had very high hopes for what was gonna what was gonna come from it, And I think when it got when it when that announcement officially came out and people saw what was gonna come, it tickled a lot of people in just the right spot, you know what I mean, what a way.
Speaker 2: To say that about that movie. On that note, I think it's probably a good time to head to our next giveaway, which is I believe for another Odyssey gift card. Is that right? It is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Odyssey Movie Store given away another twenty five dollars gift card and kind of themed this one pretty appropriately, I think. So whoever spurs is gonna win the gift card. Your question is the first recorded audio commentary was on a laser disc release in nineteen eighty four. What film featured that commentary track.
Speaker 2: I know this has been up to debate for a couple people, but it's it's pretty documented that this first got it. I Reggie say in nineteen sixty nine, that was a good try. Look at that on the immediate I gotta be honest, since he already won one, I'm gonna give it to the next person. Sorry, Robert, I'm gonna share the love a little bit. Next one was Robert Hubbard of this is weird to know this offhand, but Robert Hubbard in Kansas over there winning for somebody else. I'm gonna I'm gonna give that one to Robert. Sorry Robert or the other Robert that is missing out on that one. And congratulations. Look Robert's all around. Yes, it was a Criterion King Kong release that got the first commentary on laser disc. Mister Hubbard, we will get you a discount code for twenty five bucks at Odystymovies dot com. Robert Francis God dang on the trigger with getting the two of them right tonight. The first amazing, very well done. That was astonishing. You know, Possession is an incredible release. It is a single feature release, and we always, as we all saw from somebody commenting earlier, it's not fair for sets to compete against single features. So let's discard some of those and talk about the best single or double feature release of the entire year throughout the entire world.
Speaker 46: Hey, everybody, it's Ryan, co host of the New World Pictures podcast, a podcast dedicated to New World Pictures from the era of Roger Corman until the nineteen nineties when they were doing TV shows and a TV movie starring Ricky Schroder directed by Fright Knights Tom Holland.
Speaker 13: It's a real thing. Look it up.
Speaker 46: Anyway, I'm here to discuss the best single or doubles of twenty twenty five. And I am so excited because I'm a huge tennis fan. I watch Wimbledon every single year.
Speaker 2: And what.
Speaker 46: This isn't for the SPS? Well, how was I supposed to know? Ryan's got his hands in literally everything these days? How Well, this was ridiculous. Then, okay, so that was.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 46: So the nominees for the best single or double feature release.
Speaker 5: Are the Beyond four K Grindhouse Releasing, Eyes Wide Shut four K Criterion Collection, Freaked four K, Umbrella Entertainment, a New Leaf four K Cinematograph, Possession four K, Second Slave.
Speaker 46: Films, and the Creator's Selection Committee winner is Possession four K from Second Sight, and the Community winner is the Beyond four K from Grindhouse Releasing. Congratulations to all. I can't think of a better and more deserving winner. So well done everyone, even to David Fair who, despite being ranked number three, never won a Grand Slam Singles title. But let's just go and enjoy some movies.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 17: Yeah, last year was an incredible year for physical media as well, so that is a true honor. And yeah, we've been huge fans of the film for many, many years now and to see it this well embraced is really heartwarming. So thank you all guys.
Speaker 25: Wow, that's great. It feels like a single release, but really there's three different versions of the movie on the disk, which kind of makes it kind of a triple feature if you want to look at it like that. But that's great too, thank you.
Speaker 2: I feel a little called out in that one from Ryan, but I'll accept it. I guess you know what, that dude.
Speaker 5: Phil Scott has spend so much time accepting awards his dog left the room. Yeah, this was like I'm done, I'm going so I'm going to another room.
Speaker 2: Yeh yeh uh. Yeah that was crazy. Phil has accepted so many Worst Night Bob's accepted his his fear Share, absolutely ridiculous set of titles to win tonight. Yeah, the the the comedy bit of Ryan holding up freaked just in the bottom. I thought that was perfect, super super great slate of releases in the hard part. Literally all of those I could have seen winning and it would have been like, yeah, that makes sense. None of those are egregious and should it be a part of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I I import a lot. Are you somebody that imports a whole lot? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean region Blu ray Player is the best purchase I've ever made in my life. I actually think probably at this point most of my boutique collection is imported. So I would say that's.
Speaker 2: A good question. I wonder what my my ratio has got to be? Pretty high.
Speaker 5: I don't even I don't even think you know how many movies you own. I don't figure that out.
Speaker 2: At least fourteen. I don't even something.
Speaker 5: We don't even know what's behind you right now. Man, I don't even know what's behind you right now.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing is anybody can name a title and usually it's within ours reach somehow. And don't bother looking at the rest of the room because it is intimidating.
Speaker 5: And your collection is rooms.
Speaker 2: No, it is not. Don't you lie to the country like that, right. Speaking of countries, let's head over to Germany to find out what the best Region B release of twenty twenty five was.
Speaker 12: Warning signs of satanic behavior price.
Speaker 1: As wild, gribbly nightmares haunted his sleep.
Speaker 32: Some things you're gonna you're about to see and hear might be too graphic.
Speaker 25: Say talk to your children about not talking to strangers, and do it today.
Speaker 47: Greetings collect Us creat Us, a beautiful physical media demons. Welcome back to the shell Shop.
Speaker 48: Reminder Warts, the only awards show where the real winners.
Speaker 47: Live on our shelves forever. This next category celebrate the dark magic.
Speaker 13: Of Region B.
Speaker 47: Yeah, imports, restorations, limited editions, the releases we hunted, waited for, and paid too much shipping for.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but we did it anyway because we have no self control. And now the moment we all have waited for.
Speaker 47: The nominees for Best Region B Release are.
Speaker 5: The Curse of Frankenstein Hammer Films, The Florida Project four K second site Films, Freaked four K Umbrella Entertainment, The Nice Guys four K second site Films, Possession four K second site Films, Radical Japan Cinema and State nine Films by Nagisa Oshima, Radiance Films, Takashi Isishi, four Tales of Nami, Third Window Films, When Evil Lurks four K second site Films.
Speaker 47: Welcome back my shelf dwelling Disciples. The votes have been counted, the richards copleeded, and the winners are ready to rise from their convents. As always, we have two winners, one shows by the community and one shows by our Creator Selection.
Speaker 13: Commit the CSC who have accent tas and possibly sleep in coffins.
Speaker 47: The winner for Best Region be Released, as chosen by the Creator Selection Committee is the Curse of Frankenstein four K Hammer Films and Absolute Resurrection Beautiful four K restoration, rich colors, glorious Gothic Horror, and Peter Cushing has never looked so respectfully and now the winner chosen by the community. Oh come on, come on, guys, it's happening again. The Curse of Frankenstein four K havemmer.
Speaker 13: Films the double victory.
Speaker 48: I would guess the CSC voted for it, the community voted for it. Even the spirits in my media room voted for it. They are very into have a film and they like that stuff.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 47: So congratulations to helpers for bringing the Curse of Frankenstein back to life and stunning four K. Really so good a united collect us critics.
Speaker 13: And possibly the underworld and some spirits.
Speaker 47: Hate physical media and remember collect responsibly or don't.
Speaker 13: I'm not your priest. I don't give it.
Speaker 2: Any and our hopes. It's time to say good night.
Speaker 48: We sincerely appreciate your patronage and hope we've succeeded in bringing you an enjoyable evening of entertainment.
Speaker 9: Please drive home carefully and come back against you good night.
Speaker 2: With the upset of the night. I do got to say, though, I think this is incredibly well deserved for those of you that have not picked up the Curse of Frankenstein disc from Hammer, and I shouldn't say disc, it is I think a six disc release, which is maybe it's five some five or six discs. It is absolutely a remarkable pickup. The essays in this thing are incredible, just an astonishing pick overall. I'm so glad this is out there. Did you pick up this box?
Speaker 5: I did not, but I have a few of the new Hammer releases, and talk about a company really embracing not just the collector fans of theirs, but the just journalistic researching side and putting everything on the table out there. It's absolutely incredible what they've been doing, and I think other studios need to take serious notes because Hammer is just continuing to crush it release after release, even beyond the big giant ones, even their more minimal ones are as expansive as they can possibly be. So I'm glad they're getting some attention here well.
Speaker 2: And you and I live in Region A, so many of the discs that we pick up are Region A films, and the overall presenters for tonight, we're gonna keep it to us for Region A. So let's just talk about what the nominees are and let's roll that beautiful beaten footage. Here we go.
Speaker 5: A New Leaf four K cinematograph, Dirty Work four K vinegar Syndrome Eyes Wide Shut four K Criterion Collection, Sorcerer four K Criterion Collection, The Beyond four K Grindhouse releasing Anorra four K Criterion collection, Let's Scare Jessica to Death four K, Vinegar Syndrome, The Teenage Mutant, Ninja Turtles four K Trilogy, Aero video.
Speaker 2: So this might be the most stacked category of the entire night. I had a terribly difficult time picking the best one for this one, and funny enough, I kind of think I ended up with a New Leaf. I think that that one. What was that? That's the one I voted for. But let's talk about what did end up winning. And the winner for both the CSC and the community is why don't you share it?
Speaker 5: The Beyond four K from Grindhouse releasing.
Speaker 2: On Astonishing Release, six disc limited edition set. It is a crazy, crazy pickup. Everybody should check that out. Let's hear jessicat to Death. Another beautiful one. The cinematograph release of a New Leaf, Astonishing dirty work from Vinegar Syndrome. All well and good, but of course, because it's somebody that we've seen tonight, we got to have mister Bob Raski on to talk about his win for the best Region Aid release.
Speaker 25: That's great. I mean when I when I think of so many releases that came out last year and from and I'm friends with a lot of the label so David Gregory at Severn, Joe Rubin at Vinegar Syndrome, Don Mayet Synapps, Bill Lustay, Get Blue Underground, I mean, all the incredible things that they put out, and you know, it's a little overwhelming, and I was afraid with the Beyond we would just sort of get lost in the shuffle because there were so many good things coming out. But yeah, I mean that's something to be really proud of as well, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Grindhouse does an absolutely remarkable job on every single one of their discs. You can pick up their new one right now, which looks insane. I am so excited for people to pick that up and go, why did I purchase this? Because this is so wild. But the big thing is they always award people for purchasing their discs because they've got bonus films, They've got bonus features like crazy, they've got beyond uh, you know, ridiculous insight on all of the extras. I cannot wait for Scarlet Warning six to sixty six. It looks insane. Check that out on their website now if you are into it. It is strictly limited, but one thing that was limited that you might be able to win right now, because it's time for our next giveaway, Chris, what are we giving away next?
Speaker 5: Ooh okay, so this is coming from me. I kind of wanted to, you know, spread some good wealth out there and and treat some people to uh to one of my favorite box sets of last year. I'm gonna be giving you away my own copy of the v Cinema Essentials Bullets and Betrayal from Aero Video. I bought this right from the get go. I did watch every disk. I treat my stuff immaculately, I promise, and this is an absolutely incredible set, and I kind of want to spread the wealth and give it to somebody. Is going to answer this next question as perfectly as possible.
Speaker 2: Second obviously, if you already have it, please hold off. You don't need to answer and win a second copy. So please, if you already have it, let's just let other people have a chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, of course. So here's your question. During a twenty nineteen interview with Howard Stern. Russell Crowe wished two of his films would get a sequel. The Nice Guys was his first, and what was his second?
Speaker 2: I love The Nice Guys by the way, great movie. What is the second Russell Crowe film that he wish got a sequel? Answer in the chat, if you're the first one to answer, you can win the Aero Video v Cinema box set from Chris himself. It was not Mastering Commander like two people said immediately, although I gotta admit Master and Commander would have made it a pretty decent sequel.
Speaker 5: Good sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ronzent ropper stopper. Oh my god, that is hilarious. Uh wow, Um, somebody answered, but I'm gonna give it to uh Couch Odyssey because the first one to answer was my wife. My wife got it right. We already had the box set. Good job, baby, but uh couch Odyssey has won for the night. LA Confidential is the correct answer, and Couch you can go home with that beautiful box set. Email me at shelf shock Rewind at gmail dot com. Uh, that ropper stopper answer was hilarious, absolutely threw me off. And how did my wife just win?
Speaker 48: That.
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 13: Uh uh?
Speaker 2: That is amazing. Yeah, you forgot about virtuosity. I bet he wants to forget about virtuosity. One thing that we're not forgetting about is incredible box sets. So let's check out the win for best box Set of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 49: I'm Jordan from the movie Den where I cover horror, physical media and getting those special editions that make us say I never need to buy another version of this film again. I'm here to present the category for best box Set, honoring the releases that delivered the full package, presentation, restoration and all the extras that are really worth digging into. And now here are your nominees.
Speaker 5: Michael Hannickle Collection, Umbrella Entertainment, A Nightmare and Elmstreet four K Steal Book Collection, Warner Brothers Shoscope Volume four Ero Video, The Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles four K Trilogy, Ero Video, The West Anderson Archive Ten Films twenty five Years four K Criterion Collection.
Speaker 49: And now we've come to the results for Best box Set. Now this category recognizes two winners. One was selected by the Creators Selection Committee and the other was a community vote. And the winners are the Michael Hannike Collection from Umbrella Entertainment and the community winner, We've got a Nymer in Elm Street, Steelbook collection from Warner Brothers. Two outstanding releases and two excellent reasons to upgrade your shelving.
Speaker 2: Those horror fans, they'll just vote for anything to win. I knew that they would get Nightmare on Elm Street. Sadly, there's a couple others that I felt like could have done very well in this category that I can't put my thumb on the scale or anything, but I feel like we could have done a little bit better than night Mare on Elm Street this time.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the Umbrella collection getting some love is a very very very nice kind of mix in there.
Speaker 2: It's it's truly incredible. We got Zach in the chat saying it's a huge upset. Not only that, I I think it really shows the attention to detail from our csc our Creator Selection committee that they are paying attention to these releases in a special way. Because that Hannicke a box set is special. It is one that if you want to have a a I'll say it a not great night, but enjoy the cinema that you're watching. If you want to feel a major downer, you should pick up that Hannic a box set. And if you don't pick that one up, you should check out the Curzone release in the UK if that might be cheaper. Yeah, that's get to do what I have.
Speaker 5: I have the Curzon release, and I was having a great day until I watched Benny's video on a random pick one day and uh, yeah, that was a bad night after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see why that. That makes perfect sense of a dow. Uh. So let's let's go into the actual label recognition now. So one thing that is really interesting about labels is there are so many different types of labels. They obviously focus on genre, sometimes they focus on world cinema, sometimes they focus on certain things. But it's kind of easy to break these up into those that are releasing around fifteen ish or less releases every year and those that are releasing a much larger number than that usually. So we have our small slate boutique labels and our large slate boutique labels. So let's start with these small slate boutiques and let's throw it over to that one.
Speaker 50: Hey, everybody, Jason Kleeberg here from the Force five Podcast. There are a ton of small slate boutique labels out there, and they are doing fantastic work. Whether it is finding an old gem that you've never heard of before or just sprucing up an old favorite. They're making sure that these films look and sound as good as possible with sometimes very limited resources. Here are your nominees for the best annual slate from a single small slate boutique label.
Speaker 5: Deaf Crocodile, Fun City Editions, Khani Releasing, Second Sight Films, Terror Vision.
Speaker 50: All of these nominees deserve your attention, so please check them out and support them. But we got to have a winner, and this year the Creator Selection Committee winner are my homies, Deaf Crocodile. Congratulations, you put out an awesome product. I got some of the stars over your somewhere behind me, and uh we're not stopping there. We got the Community winner. The community winner of the best single small slate boutique label goes to Second Site Films. Congratulations everybody, Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay.
Speaker 15: I honestly, this year I was just like we had two good years, like.
Speaker 5: You know, nothing, nothing's happening this year, which is.
Speaker 15: Fine, Like you know, we're not a new label anymore. People, you know, the shininess was worn off. But no, that's that's awesome. Thankfully we had to release just the Ship late.
Speaker 14: It just got in under the wire. Oh that's fantastic. And we buy from all of the other labels as well, so that's yeah.
Speaker 2: And I do I.
Speaker 15: Do, I do love this this past years, those fifteen titles are pretty darn diverse.
Speaker 2: I do love that.
Speaker 15: You know, we have fans that love our stuff. It still does drive me a little crazy that when people always are like, yeah, they put out all the Russian or Eastern European films, I'm like, yeah, we do do a lot of that, but there's.
Speaker 2: So much more. Yeah, and and and and.
Speaker 15: Honestly, and I've said it before and it's worth repeating, is is the more exposure you have to all these other cultures and all this other cinema, the more you realize we're all the same. Like the otherness is just it's it's like lines in a map that don't really exist.
Speaker 2: Like, just see.
Speaker 15: More films from all around the world and you'll start to understand them, like, oh, yeah, we're we're all just kind of the same. We're all telling the same story.
Speaker 17: Well that means yeah, because obviously we're not the most prolific label, so we do spend time putting these things together and we appreciate everyone's patience. And yeah, that's really touching. So thank you all very much.
Speaker 2: Guys, Sorry about that. Came back to early on that first one. Congrats to Deaf Crocodile on Second Site, two very different companies that are reaching a lot of people across the world right now, and gosh, the amount of just amazing work from both of those companies should be recognized. I am always always stoked to see some recognition for both of those companies. Any thoughts on Second Side or Deaf Crocodile.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Second Site is one of my favorite labels. Their announcements are always very, very like they've become kind of like the new event when there's the Second Side announcement coming up, because there's not many of them, and I feel like when they do come, they hit and people want them and they're in demand, and that waiting period between hitting the pre order button and it being delivered is always when I'm most eager and checking the shipping every five minutes, even though I do that all the time anyways. But I think the biggest point there people need to take home is taking a chance on just film from all around the world. Yeah, and taking those lessons. I think, you know, if you if you limit yourself only to what is coming out in the US, uh, you know, I think you're really restricting. You know, you're you're just restricting yourself. And I feel like you're you're only going to do yourself, you know, harm by by not reaching out and seeing what else is out there and kind of learning different cultures and learning different worldviews. And that's why I think these companies are important, because they're putting in the work to educate us on this stuff. We just need to be the ones to take a chance and open our minds and I think we'll be better for that.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, we have a lot of a lot of large slate boutique labels that are making us challenge ourselves with world cinema and trying new things. So let's find out the winner of that one.
Speaker 51: Hi, everyone, my name is Michael from the Movie Room. At the Movie Room, we celebrate physical media, film collecting and the incredible boutique labels that keep film history alive. If you share that passion, we'd love for you to visit us at the movieroom dot com. It's a genuine honor to present the Shelf Shock rewind Award for the best annual slate from a single large slate boutique label for twenty twenty five, in award recognizing the companies that consistently deliver exceptional releases and continue pushing physical media forward. These labels prove every month that physical media is not only alive, it's thriving. And all of this year's nominees represent the very highest level of excellence in boutique film releases. And now here are the nominees.
Speaker 5: Aero Video, Criterion Collection, Radiance Films, Umbrella Entertainment, Vinegar Syndrome, and.
Speaker 51: Now the twenty twenty five winners. The Creator Selection Committee Award goes to Vinegar Syndrome. I want to personally say that I'm a longtime supporter of Vinegar Syndrome and their mission of film restoration and preservation. I've been a subscriber for ten years in a row and always will be. Their dedication to rescuing and restoring cinema is truly unmatched, and the community.
Speaker 13: Choice award goes to Arrow Video.
Speaker 51: Arrow is also incredible and I own hundreds of their titles, including some of my all time favorites, Vinegar Syndrome. Arrow and all the other nominees continue to prove that the passion for physical media remains stronger than ever. Thank you for allowing me to present this award, and thank you to everyone who continues to support boutique labels and physical media.
Speaker 22: Wow Muley, Well, thank you very much everyone. I don't know what to say. I mean, we are incredibly fortunate to get to do what we do and that people are into it and that they keep coming back for more. And you know, we're very fortunate that we've developed some great relationships with studios and rights holders that trust us with that ip, that catalog, and you know, that's why a company like Warner or MG will.
Speaker 17: Give us a chance and let us do Teenage.
Speaker 22: Mutant, Ninja Turtles, or The Dollars Trilogy or all these these big titles that a few years ago would have been crazy to dream that you know, we would have ever gotten our chance to gotten the chance to you know, do any of those. And yeah, based on what I know. Twenty twenty six is going to be even crazier. So there's tons of stuff I wish I could tell you, but you know, you'll have to wait and see. But it's all very exciting. So thank you very very much to everyone who voted for us, and you know we'll try and keep impressing you and you know, giving you more reasons to come back to our video as much as we can.
Speaker 2: Jeez. Yeah, thank you. Awesome.
Speaker 52: Yeah, thank you guys for voting for us. Very much appreciated from everyone in the you know, restaret, restoration and film preservation community, everybody, you know, the fans, everyone who's done this, and you know, we can't thank you enough for is It's a lot of work, as I'm sure other labels know as well, and we at the same time, we don't plan on stopping anytime soon either, So very excited about this. So thank you very much and stay tuned for what's coming out.
Speaker 2: Hell of a year in twenty twenty five for these large labels. Any thoughts on VS or Arrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean both well deserved. I'm more shocked that Mike from the Movie Room has been a subscriber for ten years.
Speaker 2: That's a long time to subscribe to Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 5: That is legendary. Yeah, I mean there's a lot to be excited about from every single label. I think Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow is just consistently knocking it out of the park a with just the wide variety of stuff they're putting out. But be you know, the presentation the discs are always fantastic, so I think it's very well earned on that front.
Speaker 2: I got a shout out Slave to sin Him or brought up The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Didn't get any numas, but it's one of the best of last year. I really agree. I think it got like two nominations and it didn't quite get enough to be able to be in a list of nominees. I think the reason is people looked at all three of the trilogy sadly as like one release, and it's kind of hard. You can't vote for like the Man with No Name trilogy, So yeah, I get it. I wish it would have been recognized because they truly are absolutely the astonishing peaks of those films for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm s right as the Mask four K didn't get any nominations because whoever has watched that it looks and sounds phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It looks ridiculous before our next giveaway. I'm always excited to hear about new labels crop it up, so let's find out who the best new label of twenty twenty five is.
Speaker 53: Hello, and welcome to another category of the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards. My name is Michael Ers, and I am the host of the Shameless Picture she podcast. For those of you who may not be familiar with my podcast, the Shameless Picture Show is built on the concept that everyone, no matter who you are, no matter how much of a sinophile you are, has a list of shame. It was the movies there for whatever reason you have missed or not seen. And what we do on our show is we watch it together, we discuss it, and we have a really open, candid conversation that is filled with positivity and has no gatekeeping and no judgmental feelings. So keeping with that feeling of positivity, a lot of people will try to tell you that physical media is on the downswire, but I don't believe that for a second because there's more and more boutique labels popping up every single year. So I'm here to introduce the nominees for the Best New.
Speaker 5: Label Bizarro, Brainstorm Media, Hammer Films, Club, Super eight, New Wave Video.
Speaker 53: All right, now that we've seen all those wonderful nominees, let's figure out who the best New label is for this year.
Speaker 17: So we're gonna do is.
Speaker 53: We're going to consult my shelf, shock rewind top Secret VHS case.
Speaker 13: All right, and as voted by the.
Speaker 53: Creator Selection Committee, the winner is Hammer Films, And then as voted by the community, the Best New Label is also Hammer Films. So thank you very much for watching, guys. Make sure you go out and check out Hammer Films. And as I always say, I will see you next time. Shame time, shame place, shameless pictures show.
Speaker 2: I hope people understand that I try to not reveal many of the counts behind it, but this was the most lopsided win of the entire night. Hammer Films got the vast majority of the votes for this one. Hammer obviously been around for decades and decades and decades, but as a label, this is a new thing. Glad that they were able to come out here and make a huge, huge presence be known pretty much immediately, and I think that they've done great work and can't wait to see what they've got coming out next.
Speaker 44: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my pick would have been new wave video, but I hammer absolutely crushed it.
Speaker 2: My pick was a new wave video as well. I love John and I love of everything that they're doing. I cannot wait to share some of the stuff they've got coming out. Everybody loves a giveaway. Let's give away another stack of movies there, Chris.
Speaker 5: All right, your question is to win a Ryan.
Speaker 2: Stack second of the night. Here we go.
Speaker 5: What was the name of Vinegar Syndrome's streaming service, discontinued in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: This is what I bet a lot of people know, so somebody's gonna get this very quickly. It's not necessarily a secret, so I'm sure that this one will be something that is just fastest fingers in the West is going to win. The winner of this one is going to send me an email at shelf shock rewind at gmail dot com, and you will get that second pile of films. The winner, Travis linthecom Exploitation dot tv, is the name of the Vinegar Syndrome streaming service. Travis, send me an email shelf shock rewind and at gmail dot com, and I will get your address please and I will send that to you this week. Congratulations on the win, Jeremy said to B that's pretty good. Yea, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: That could also be like full Moon Secondary one. There's a lot that could fall into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. Uh, let's go into just giving out an award for best labels. At this point, we're really only focusing on Region A and B. There's not a whole lot of like major English friendly Region C label, so that's not a common thing. So that's why we keep it at A and B. So let's find out the winner of the best Region B label anywhere in the world.
Speaker 23: Hey, film fans, I am Graham from man V Film. I am a hugely nerdy phone fan all the bey from Scotland and I love delving into the new boutique blurry releases. But there's nothing more satisfying and wrapping open a new film, looking at the packaging, putting on the extras, and enjoying the amazing transfer of a film that I'm just discovering. And for me, the discovery aspect of these releases are something that's truly transform intive, really expanding my knowledge base and my passion for film, which is why I'm here today to talk about the best Region Be or label, and the nominees.
Speaker 5: Are Erro Video, Imprint Films, Radiance Films, Second Sight Films, Umbrella Entertainment.
Speaker 2: So what is the best Reading be label?
Speaker 17: Heym please?
Speaker 54: The Creative Selection Committee has voted Radiance Films as the best region Be label, but the community have chosen as well, and their choice as Radiance Films as well well deserved. I love their releases. I cover as many as I possibly can, and I think they're a label who have been running for three years and.
Speaker 11: Done terrific stuff.
Speaker 23: I can wait to see where they're going to bring out in their fourth year.
Speaker 2: Well with that, about time we got some love from Radiance here. I love that we pull it out at the very end of this. Radiance absolutely deserves this incredible label. You and I haven't talked much about Radiance. Have you picked up much from Radiance? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I have quite a few. I think the die Goothic sets are some of my favorite my collection. I just picked up a couple of titles at the Barnes and Noble fifty percent off sale. You know, Radiance is one of those labels that I can blind by and be very excited for and have really like high confidence that I'm going to enjoy what they're putting out. I also just love their presentation, Like I absolutely love the OBI strips and stuff. They're one of my favorites. Man, They're They're incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. They absolutely are one of the most exciting labels out there. I think everything that they do is curated to a point where it is inspiring confidence in people that love their stuff. So it's exciting love that people appreciate them and trust them and put stock in what they're putting out. And it showed in the vote. So congrats Radiance. That's a big deal. But that's only one side of the world. Let's talk about best region a label, and for that we go to a face you might recognize.
Speaker 55: Greetings everyone out there watching the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards.
Speaker 45: My name is Joe Lynch.
Speaker 41: I'm Beacha Howard, and we.
Speaker 55: Are the hosts of a couple of old fashioned with Becca and Joe, the video podcast Four Movie Lovers by Movie Lovers, where.
Speaker 45: Each week we come up with a theme.
Speaker 55: We each pick two titles that neither of us knows which one. We come here, we talk about what the movies are. We then go to that couch watch the movies, then come back and discuss if in fact we have created the perfect.
Speaker 3: Double feature, especially for date nights.
Speaker 45: Yes, date nights especially.
Speaker 41: You can watch seasons one and two currently available on YouTube, or if you're more oratorily inclined, it's also available wherever you get your podcasts. But enough shameless plugging of our Speaking of shameless, we are here to talk about the many beautiful labels and companies that do what we consider it to be God's works, cinema gods, cinema gods taking titles from the past, from current film lives, forgotten jet cult classics and bringing them back to the world in beautiful restoration, Blu rays and four k's i E.
Speaker 55: Our favorite movies usually, and as lovers and collectors of physical media, we are thrilled to be announcing the nominees for the Best Region A Label.
Speaker 41: Yes, sadly, while we love every single one of these companies and every piece of work they put out there, as in any competition format, that can only ever be one winner, but the nominees are all winners in our hearts, and here they are.
Speaker 5: Criterion Collection Deaf, Crocodile, keinolrber Severin Films, Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 45: And they are the nominees and the winner.
Speaker 55: Fancy sorting hat right here for the best Region A label based on the CSC's voting is.
Speaker 32: We'd all know the.
Speaker 45: Winner, and the winner is Vinegar Syndrome. Are good friends at Vinegar Syndrome. Hew the applause. We love Vinegar Syndrome. We have many friends of Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 55: So congratulations to Vinegar Syndrome for those titles. Also, I just so happened to have a few Vinegar Syndrome titles right here, including the brand new.
Speaker 45: Four K of Trauma's Terra Firmer, which I.
Speaker 55: Am in copious amount of no bias, no, no bias at all, but also one of the greatest movies of all time.
Speaker 45: Mac and me, Yep, there you go.
Speaker 55: The Vinegar Syndrome knows the classics and they are here to bring it to you.
Speaker 37: My god, amazing.
Speaker 41: Yes, of the Best Region A label, as voted on by the community is.
Speaker 20: Yeah, what have you been doing to these all?
Speaker 45: I've been quite moist In the physical media.
Speaker 41: Round Criterion Collection.
Speaker 45: Criterion Collection. We love Criterion Collection. We love the closet with the channel, but most importantly we love those goddamn oh.
Speaker 41: Yeah, I just so happen to have a few with me one just to give you a swath of the kind of things they do. Winchester seventy three the very first of the Anthony Man James Stewart Western collections, at least originally in nineteen fifty, but then again last year with an amazing amount of new features commentary firm James Stewart, so many things, and newer releases like the Academy Award winning Anora from our beautiful friend Sean Baker. This is the definitive release with all of the making of all of the commentaries, the can panel, all the four K, all the blu ray. You haven't quite seen Anora until you've seen it like this from the Criterion Collection.
Speaker 55: So while we love all the nominees and we appreciate all the hard work you do, obviously we can only have two winners, and that is Vinegar Syndrome and Criterion.
Speaker 45: Congratulations to all the winners. Oh yes, yes, and keep physical media alive.
Speaker 41: Let's make a double feature out of some of these Criterion Collection. Vinegar Syndrome marry them up.
Speaker 45: I say, terra firmer and a noora done. Done, cheers, cheers.
Speaker 52: Wow, jeez, oh wow, that's crazy. Okay, yeah again, thank you. We can't thank you enough for voting for us for this. You know, it's crazy, especially with you know, the differ different studios and licensing and you know, keeping it region a versus you know, hopefully we could have things reaching free. But at the same time, we're very much appreciated of appreciative. We're very much appreciative of this too, and we h yeah again are it just keeps growing and growing and we don't plan on stopping anytime soon. And we again, we can't thank you enough. Everyone in the community. Everyone are our fans. Just you guys keep us going and we hope he'll be going much longer.
Speaker 2: So thank you. I love the comment that says the ying and the yang of home video right now, the vinegar syndrome and criterion absolutely the perfect dichotomy. Love that entirely. Speaking of vinegar syndrome, why don't we give away our last giveaway before we get into our big best picture win of the night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so we have a giveaway thanks to cinematograph and I believe we have how many releases to give away.
Speaker 2: In this bundle, we are giving away four cinematograph titles and whoever wins this one gets to pick the four cinematograph titles that you would like to win. So if you win this one, email me at s sheelf shock Rewinde at gmail dot com. We will get you four cinematograph titles of your choosing. So you're gonna email me the four titles that you choose and your address for us to send those two. This is a big one, so please get ready to answer. Here we go.
Speaker 5: All right, this one's for all the big Kubrick fans out there in the film Eyes wide Hut. What is the password used to enter the party?
Speaker 2: Craig says, nineteen sixty nine is in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 5: Everything happened in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 2: Everything everything happened in nineteen sixty nine. As you are want to know. Wow, we had oh so many people that know this one, but it seems like a lot of people misspelled it. Similar one to talk about Castro, but in fact it was four four four chroma that wins. Delio is the answer that is the first one here. Congrats for four for four Chroma. Go ahead and send me an email at shell jak Rewind at gmail dot com. Sorry to everybody and your you're autocorrect in the chat. Oh Man Sibner is pissed. Uh that is uh. That is fidel h fidel is upset. Gosh, congratulations to Chroma. Send me an email schelf jack Rewind at gmail dot com with your four titles you are selecting and an address to send them to. Congrats on all of that tonight. We we are leading all to this for best overall release of the year, and it is finally here. We we we have so many titles that we've talked about tonight. I hope that you have enjoyed hearing about all of them. We'll hang out a couple of moments after our announcement of the winners, but of course we got to go into some nomin and because it's the big category, we got ten nominees and Chris and I are going to stay on camera here as we show you all ten. And here they are.
Speaker 5: The Beyond four K grind House releasing Cafe Flesh, four K, Manda Macabre, Dirty Work, four K, Vinegar Syndrome Eyes Wide Shut four K Criterion Collection, Michael Hannaha Collection, Umbrella Entertainment, A Nightmare and ELM Street four K Steel Book Collection, Warner Brothers Possession four K, Second Sight Films, Shawscope Volume four Aero Video Sorcerer four K Criterion Collection, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles four K Trilogy Aero Video.
Speaker 2: Guys say, it is so funny that we're like, most of these are like high art, like really nice titles, Michael Hannicut. And then we end with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy four K as the last title to discuss. So these are all of our nominees guesses for Who's gonna win? Who did you vote for for this, Chris?
Speaker 5: I mean this one was tough. I mean Nightmen, ELM Street Collection was up there, but I just feel like I couldn't do that. So Possession was kind of my main one, but I just couldn't not do it. For the Beyond, I just I couldn't. Man, this was the one I sat on the longest.
Speaker 2: I hear you, The Beyond was up there for me. Possession was up there for me. Michael HANNICKEA was up there for me before we announce this is this all our last thing of the night, So I did want to say this is my fourth and final Shelf Shock rewind Awards. We hope to have somebody else continue this next year, but I did want to say thank you for everybody that's made this a very validating experience for home video over the last four years. You guys have been incredible. It has been so nice to see things happen this way. Going back multiple years to when Lee Gambit was watching live talking about he wishes we would do this every six months or multiple times a year because it is so great for the community, and now we've lost lease. Since then, it's been a crazy journey through this whole thing. Even the very first year when we did this live, we had a couple of the companies that did things like thank the award show for winning live. We had I think vinegar syndrome that first year even put a couple of titles on sale because they won some shelf Shocks. And now it's a thing like all of these labels are including it in their emails getting people to vote. It's been a pretty crazy ride to see how this has joined joined forces in the community. And get people all over the world to celebrate. So again, thanks for hosting with me this year, sir.
Speaker 5: Of course, man, of course. So to anybody who tuned into Reconnected on Thursday, I wrote you a high Q on Reconnected and this time around, I wrote you a poem as a goodbye for you on shelf Shock Rewind. Do you mind if I read it to you live in front of the world.
Speaker 2: Please let's hear it.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, Uh, so it goes. My shelves are dirty, my discs are clean. Shelf Shock rewind was once a dream Ryan and Stephen. The work was even four years later Ryan's leaving, Bye bye Ryan. Next year I'll be crying. Shelf Shock will never be the same. The next host might go insane.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what to say about that. Uh, why don't you have the honor of announcing who won for the CSC this year? Ugh?
Speaker 5: All right, So our CSC winner is none other than Possession four K second Sight Films.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked they did not win enough tonight, and of course that that is an obvious win if you are a part of the CSC and for the community. I gotta say I just talked about many of the companies getting out there and suggesting people vote. I have a feeling one of the reasons that this title one is because they included this in their email blast for the last month to get everybody out there and excited to vote. So the winner for the community for best overall release for twenty twenty five is The Beyond four K from Grindhouse Releasing. So let's hear some words from Phil and from Bob to send the Night away.
Speaker 25: Wow, And again we're competing with a lot of other great companies like Arrow and you know, so it's it's incredible, But you know, I mean, this release was really thirty years in the making, and this is the thirtieth anniversary of Grindhouse Releasing. We Sage stallone and I started it in nineteen ninety six specifically to put out a great version of The Beyond. We both loved the movie and it had been butchered. At that point, there weren't a lot of other companies releasing this kind of stuff, and you know, we really wanted to be the criterion of these kind of overlooked horror classics and exploitation films, and sadly Sage passed away a few years years ago, but he would be so proud to hear about all of this, because, you know, the beyond was he met with Fulci when he was in Rome working on DA Daylight with his dad, and Luccio was so excited that somebody was interested in the movie and was going to participate. But then unfortunately he passed away, you know, just as we were getting started, and we were still able to meet with Sergio Silvadi, the cinematographer, and he actually did the first color crack pass, which was the basis of all of our releases, you know, and that was back in nineteen ninety six, so that's sort of been the basis for everything that we've done since then. And you know, and and and on this release, we worked with Fabio Frizzi, who did this incredible nude you know, composer's cut version that he rescored and and is included on the desk.
Speaker 13: And so it's just it's great and.
Speaker 25: Just I also want to you know, acknowledge the people who I've been working with, Ed Grinos Releasing, David Shultin, uh Dan Harrington, uh Dad Lagier, who does all of our packaging and has been doing it for years created like really some beautiful packaging for this movie. Jim Coons, who's sort of our technical director, Johnny Buell who did the authoring. Uh U C Tailman who did this Uh care about the sound? Uh the remastering of the CD, the the mix of the director's cut I'm sorry, composer's cut version of the movie. Just you know, so many people contributed to this release, to this release. Al Arnold who was the colorist, who did such a beautiful job at Photo Cam.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 25: So many supplements, you know, we had, We had these two great guys in Italy finding people and doing interviews, uh Frederick Cadio and you genial uh Eric Alani, And you know, it's just it's been it's been such a huge group project that you know, I'm just I really wanted to acknowledge everybody because it's like such a was such a big thing, and it was.
Speaker 13: It took so many years.
Speaker 25: Martin Bean who did this incredible hundred booklet that came with the release, and I mean it was so well researched, and he spent so much time. I mean I think collectively we all spent probably ten times as much hours as many hours on this release than they probably spent making the movie. But but yeah, I'm so so I'm very proud of like everything that uh you get you guys, and and of course our customers who you know, bought the movie and voted for us and have supported us all these years.
Speaker 9: So thanks so much. I'm just so honored.
Speaker 17: Thank you man. That's insane. Yeah, it's a real honor. What's what can I say? I mean you guys at Man, thank you so much. And yeah, Bebo Possession.
Speaker 2: Home, Bob Roowsk. You talked for like eight minutes. It feels like, yay, Possession. I love it. I'm ready for bed. Thank you. He's been thanking us for like the last twenty minutes. I get it. Genuine incredible year for physical media. Thank you everybody for being here tonight. It has been remarkable. My my partner Antenna, Billy Race does a great job. Ran and Chris Hope. Honestly, way more exciting, unpredictable and compelling than this year's Indie Spirit Awards. That is kind of saying the Indie Spirit Awards. But thanks for hanging out here. Just a ridiculously year. Can't wait to see what what next year. Shelf Shock holds and what this year holds for physical media. So thanks for doing this with me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much for asking me.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I mean you came to me and you're like, hey, look, it's gonna be my last year, and you know, I really want you to do this. And I was absolutely perplexed and I didn't know what to say except for yes. And you know, it's one of those things that to me goes beyond you know, just just having fun. It means a lot to be here with you and to be here with everybody, and especially for for your final year kind of you know, heading up the shelf Shock rewind Awards. So thank you so much, man, I can you know, I can't express my gratitude enough.
Speaker 2: Well, as Chris said earlier, he is one of the co hosts of the Beyond the Blood podcast. Check that out wherever you can get your podcast, and if this is your first time seeing my face, you can check me out everyoneder the name the Disconnected or follow the label, which is the reason why I'm not doing this next year. An tenor Releasing go to antenor Releasing dot com And as of that moment, it's kind of hard to host an award show, and you are doing the thing that you're giving awards for. So I'm stepping away. Congrats to everybody for tonight and I'll hope to win one next year maybe. Thanks everybody for watching. We'll see you on Thursday if you can be at my show, and until then, have a good time see Thank you for listening to the Disconnected podcast. There's one big thing that you could do to help the show, and that is to leave a rating and review on the podcast service of your choice. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 56: This is Matt and Emily from Scarecrow Video in Seattle, Washington. Did you know that we have the largest video collection in the world. We have over one hundred and forty six thousand titles and growing. That's over three times more than Netflix, Amazon Max, and Hulu combined.
Speaker 57: Plus a Scarecrow now offers rent by mail service throughout the US, so check out Scarecrow Video dot org for details. You can catch Emily and I or Matt and I if that was going to be you saying that on our biweekly YouTube show Viva Physical Media for video recommendations and so much more.
Speaker 4: Cia bye e.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to hear more shows from the someone's favorite productions podcast network. Please select the link in the description