Speaker 1: My friend Crystal Alfonso. You may have heard of her as the wine yogi. What is happening with that? There's something you're not weird going on? That is that okay?
Speaker 2: Is that comfortable? I just I can't look at you. That's okay. Nobody wants to look at me anyway.
Speaker 1: By the way, fun fat if you've seen the stories about Barry Weis running CBS News into the ground, CBS News on Monday Night drew six point four million viewers, largest audience since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Hi their win Yogi. I just wanted to throw that in there.
Speaker 1: I have the answer one question from the text line because it has asked me anything on cold weekends. Does Mandy get dressed or does she lounge around all weekend in sleep or fat pants? Okay, guys, I just discovered a website called American Tall, and I bought my first pair of sweatpants in my entire life that go all the way down.
Speaker 2: To my feet.
Speaker 1: So I have been living in those sweatpants because they go all the way to my feet. And for normal sized people who don't have a really long en seam, that's no big deal.
Speaker 2: For me, game changing.
Speaker 3: I've offered multiple times to give you all of my length because I am on the other side.
Speaker 2: In fact, I'm wearing my capri pants that are normal linked for me.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go. Okay, so let's go. First of all, we've got to talk. Let's go backwards in your blog. Let's start at the bottom because football football football.
Speaker 2: Many of you may not know. I got Stiddy City on there too, But.
Speaker 1: The wine yog is a huge, not bandwagon, huge, real, honest god bleeds Orange and Blue Broncos fan.
Speaker 2: Yes, even when they suck, even when they sucked a lot of money to go see him losing a in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with rest and Nathaniel Hackett. That's money not well spent. But we were in Vegas, so we still had a good time.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: So you have some fancy wine pairings for football food.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't call him.
Speaker 3: Fancy, but I just you know, especially as I drink.
Speaker 2: Wine when I watched the Broncos.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to repeat what I drank during the Super Bowl fifty run because that's from a winery that I will not support because Gavin Newsom is part owner.
Speaker 1: Oh doesn't that suck? My favorite barbecue joint in the South. Sunnis are you famili with Sunday Familiar? Sonnis is owned by the Yarmouth family John Yarmouth he now, thank god, former Congressman John Yarmouth. When I found that out, I was like, I can't eat his Sonnies anymore, and they have the best beans.
Speaker 3: Well it was plump jack And actually I can't drink California wine really anymore anyway, and so.
Speaker 2: It tastes like bitterness and greed envy. Yeah, it was way over price.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So but I still have the bottle of when we, you know, won Super Bowl fifty, So there is that.
Speaker 1: I like, can you stick with the same types of wine just to keep the juju going?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying? Like, actually, you know this last bit.
Speaker 3: Pretty much following the JAG's loss, I started drinking Colorado wines just because I was trying to like kind of yeah, trying to like channel some really positive Colorado you know energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so I'm gonna stick with that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so far it's it's it's been working and so yeah, and you don't eat during the game.
Speaker 2: I don't. I never knew that. I figured you would have like a whole spread. No, my god, no, my stomach.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Well this team yeah, well and you know this kind.
Speaker 3: Of started I would say probably with the tee Bow years, and well Peyton Manning kind of continued to it. There was probably a period there right up until Raheem Moore got toasted on against the Ravens that I probably could have eaten with, you know.
Speaker 2: The Peyton Manning.
Speaker 3: Days where we were just dominating everything. But yeah, the Super Bowl fifty run, the tee Bow years, all of that just kind of ruined my appetite. So I eat before like there you go many hours before and I eat the same thing, and then what is the same thing that you eat? I know it's very trashy of me, though, but it's every time.
Speaker 2: So if it works, it works.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I can't say it on air because I don't want to run it. Stop it. You have to say it. Oh, come on it. What if we all ate it?
Speaker 3: And No, that's not bere that is not how being a superstitious works.
Speaker 1: No, okay, I'm just saying, maybe you just share the superstition on that.
Speaker 2: I love you with super Bowl I'll share it.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that you are pairing a delightful Rose with wings because I love Rose with wings even though Rose doesn't love me.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's really just kind of want to think about, like particularly your level of heat when you are pairing wines, and what you want to avoid is a super big, bold red wine that has like a lot of tannic structure, So think California reds, whether it's.
Speaker 2: Smurlow, cap sav blends.
Speaker 3: You don't want those with spicy food unless you like the cap sation and want that intensified because because they just compete, well, no tannins will intensify, oh the spice level. So if you're already having City of Dry repped or actually like you know, the a spicy wing sauce, right, you.
Speaker 2: Definitely want to kind of avoid those.
Speaker 3: You want to go with wines that tend to have more fruit forward happening what some might call and describe as this is sweet, although it's technically not sweet, it's not residual sugar. It's just they're so fruity that it won't it won't intensify the capsation. In fact, it will balance it out and it will complement it.
Speaker 2: If you have all of those, think about.
Speaker 3: Like when you have spicy barbecue like ribs, and you have like a barbecue sauce that has cherry in it, so that cherry kind of balances out the heats from whether it's a chili powder or red chili flakes or any type of pepper that's been added into the barbecue sauce. So that's why so sweet cancels out heat. They okay, And so that's but tannic's tannic structure. Tannins from the seeds and skins of your wine, the things that dry your mouth out. Because your mouth is now dry, the heat is just going to explode in your mouth.
Speaker 1: I had no idea, no clue whatsoever. You have a red wine with pizza though, pizza on study. I got to tell you, if you're going to order a pizza for de I'm guessing that's going to be like our hour and a half.
Speaker 3: Most places, we always that's what that is, our postgame celebration.
Speaker 2: We will enjoy and so we don't care at that point do you order it.
Speaker 1: Before the game is over? There is that premature jocularity you'd the whole thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, okay, I pretty much watch I listened to Dave Logan in my ears, so I'm a few minutes behind what's happening on the TV. I can't even watch I have I'm like oftentimes I've like got my fingers double crossed, I'm bent over and I've got fingers in front of my eyes and I'm just praying.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: You were talking about, you know, your prayers, but mine it is like kind of more that positive energy of you know, you know, please please make this happen, and then at the last minute, I'll like glance up and stuff. But yeah, no, I'm very superstitious when it comes to sports. This started when I was a kid in nineteen eighty three and my nc State, which was my basketball team, went and won NCUAA championship. That's when all of the weirdness of I can't watch started And so I was twelve years old and I've always been that way ever since.
Speaker 2: But yes, going back to.
Speaker 3: The food, uh, Multiplaciano d Bruzzo is a very light Italian wine, so the grape is Multiplciano, and then Abruzzo is a region on the Adriatic side of Italy, and so it's a very hot and dry area. So a lot of their food, their red sauces tend to be very spicy because you know, in hot climates the food grows and the food tends.
Speaker 2: To be hotter because it makes you sweat.
Speaker 3: So that wine is naturally suited if you're gonna have spicier food. So whether it's you know, spicy brats or you know, any type of spicy barbecue, or even like you know, whether you're doing like I think I mentioned nachos.
Speaker 2: At the beginning, Yeah, you mentioned that.
Speaker 3: Now I'm like, oh, I should make nachos with not you know, nachos are chili or especially since how cold it's going to be that multipuciano de bruzzo, because it's not there.
Speaker 2: It has minimal tan, it has a lot of acidity.
Speaker 3: Acidity only only enhances the food that you're enjoying. And if you're having anything that's cheesy, say nacho's or pizza, it helps cut through all of the heaviness of the dough and the cheese and the fat, and the acid is going to cut through that, making it a lot lighter on your palate and a lot lighter in your stomach and get your digestion going quicker.
Speaker 2: Jared has a request.
Speaker 1: We need a good recommendation for an orange wine.
Speaker 3: So skin contact is always fun. So that is a white wine that's had skin contact. So thank Chardonnay that instead of racking the grape must immediately off of the skins once they they have pressed it, they actually allow it to remain in contact for a bit.
Speaker 2: Funny called orange water. They are orange in color. They are they do instead of having kind of I thought that was wine made out of oranges. Now I'm not kidding.
Speaker 3: No, I brought one in years and years ago. I brought one in and it's different. I ascribe orange wines. If you like sour beers, you probably would like us nobly, No, you did not know you would like an orange wine because to me, it's it really amps up the the the acid side of the wine itself because it is staying in contact with those skins for so long. So unlike red wine that has skin contact, which will increase tannins, orange wines tend to have more of that acid level kind of pop up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: I have had some really good ones.
Speaker 3: The best one that I had actually recently was a non alcoholic sparkling orange wine and it's fabulous from sov a sov I you can't get you have to order it online so you can get it before Sunday. But it was absolutely fantastic. I would not have guessed that was not alcoholic. It was so good and all right, but there are some really good orange wines out there. Good to a quality wine store, not liquor store, because you're not going to probably find your better orange wines. But go to a good quality local wine shop and I bet you they can point you in the right direction.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about Valentine's Day. I just mentioned if you haven't made your reserme for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: You are late and you have.
Speaker 1: Some really First of all, you've got some great information about Saint Valentine that I had no idea about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so apparently there's a lot of confusion pretty early on, talking like fourth century as when Saint Valentine was martyred in Rome, so still at the time before the Roman Empire converted to Christianity, but he was still marrying people Christians, even though that it was completely illegal, and so that's why he's always associated kind of with love. And he was murdered on February fourteenth. So there in the early days of the church, they canonized him because of you know what he continued to do, and martyrs were treated different than the Catholic Church when you're martyred for the faith.
Speaker 2: So, but he has.
Speaker 3: Since now because there's confusion over who it actually was. There's two gentlemen that they've been Saint Valentine. In nineteen sixty nine, they actually kind of removed him as an official calendar day, but he is still considered a saint in the Catholic Church.
Speaker 2: Did they treat him like Neptune?
Speaker 1: Noh, pluto, excuse me, they just kicked him out.
Speaker 2: They just made him not a planet. No, it's just not on the calendar. Okay, how is he not on the calendar? He literally has a day.
Speaker 3: He does have a day, so I mean technically still lists okay because of Hallmark.
Speaker 1: Not only do you have a couple of things coming up. Let's talk about Wind and Restore really quickly before we run out of time.
Speaker 2: So wine in Restore.
Speaker 3: My girlfriend Carl, her name is Caroline, but she's also a somalier and ashtanga yoga instructor. We're going to be hosting a wine and yoga pairing at Yoga Studiosatya down in the Springs.
Speaker 2: The day before the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Hopefully we will all be in a great mood because the Broncos will be playing the next day. But it's all about connecting, connecting with the heart. It's going to be a gentle practice, lots of props, perfect for someone who's never done yoga or for a beginner, and.
Speaker 1: The wine drinking comes after the yoga class.
Speaker 3: Through it's throughout, but because we're doing it with props, we're going to teach you about alternate nostril breathing, about about how each side of your nose will smell different things in wines.
Speaker 2: You'll get to explore yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say that when Crystal told me, that was one of the first things that she told me when we first met.
Speaker 2: And we're talking about this, and I was like what. And then I sat.
Speaker 1: Here holding one nostril smelling wine and then holding the other nostril, and it was.
Speaker 2: Like son of a biscuit eater.
Speaker 1: She's right, you smell things completely different, but out of both nostrils you get the full picture exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's just a it's a fun experience of sensory exploration. It's a great way it's going to be focused on couples yoga, so partner yoga, but you're going to be seated. No handstands unless you're gonna do them on your own time, but you'll be seated the whole time, and we'll talk about each wine why we selected those lines. We're gonna have some non alcoholic wines, some local Colorado wines, and then some wines that we just really love.
Speaker 2: Their kind of perfect new world in our world. All right.
Speaker 1: One of the things you did put on the blog today was Carboys Dinner for two.
Speaker 2: Yes, that looks kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Carbo Winery, I have to say, I feel like they are in the Denver metro, probably the face of Colorado wine for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I would say so them and Blanchard, But Carboy has a lot more, several more locations. They're getting ready to open another location up down in Colorado Springs.
Speaker 2: So I'm cool. I'm totally stoked about.
Speaker 3: And Kevin said he'll come on and talk about all they got going on whenever you're ready to have. But they the Carboy Wine dinner for two on Valentin's Day is going to be at their Littleton location, but you can also find.
Speaker 2: Carboy at Breckenridge. That's how I first discover them.
Speaker 3: But they also have a Carboy location in downtown Dinbear, so they are all over and they also they have their vineyard actually out at Garfield Estates and Palisade, which is beautiful if you're over there, and they do a lot of stuff over there, including like vin and Vinyasset that is one where you will do a yoga practice and then have a glass of wine after well.
Speaker 1: The then you looks phenomenal and it's seventy five bucks a person, which I think is extremely reasonable for a dinner with wine pairing, yes with every course.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna want to.
Speaker 3: Go to Carboy in Littleton and I've done their wine dinners there in Littleton and they're fantastic.
Speaker 2: I highly recommend five stars.
Speaker 1: And then if you want to go, you ray. They've got a wine festival in the middle of winter. Always winter wine festivals. This is our third year going.
Speaker 3: It's always on my birthday weekend, so that's why my husband make sure he always gets his trips. He's not on a trip and so yeah, we're going to head out and it's all local Colorado winemakers come and bring them poor it's very small, very intimate. I absolutely love it because you really get to It's not like some of the bigger wine festivals where you stand in line for a really long time and then you don't get to talk to the winemaker because it's so crowd and so packed. Because it's in the right opera house, it's limited in size and so you can you can really talk to all of the reps, the winemakers themselves, they are coming through and all of they have some distilleries coming in, some cider makers coming in.
Speaker 1: So is this primarily Colorado or is it all of our Colorado?
Speaker 3: It's all Colorado fantastic and the sideries, the distillers, on the winemakers.
Speaker 1: One of the big things I hear when you come on the show is where can we buy this stuff? And a lot of this stuff you can only buy directly from the winery. So if you do go to a wine festival, well, either the you know, wine walk downtown or any of these things, that's a great opportunity for you to find a lot about these different wines and have.
Speaker 2: That plantered family wines.
Speaker 3: They're doing some stuff for Valentine's Day too as well, and they have a lot of those local wines that I will often talk about. Also a lot of your smaller winemakers like Storm Cellar, Fallen Mountain. They're starting to get into restaurants and into retail stores. So we have our Colorado collection at the Wine Gallery is continuing to expand. So you can always check out the Wine Gallery if you're looking for particular you know Colorado wines.
Speaker 1: There you go, This texter said, Hi wine yogi. Depending on your provider, you can pause the live stream of the show of the TV and sync it up to Dave.
Speaker 2: I have Exfinity and it works awesome.
Speaker 3: Yew. My husband is never going to do that. Why because then I would be in control of everything. Okay, So I give him his space. It's all about compromise.
Speaker 2: I don't know Mandy, Josh Salem, who's Josh?
Speaker 1: What what does that mean? I don't even know what that means. Now Sometimes you people text things and I have no clue. All right, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna go this weekend. I want everybody to stay warm. I want everybody to stay I want everybody to stay stitty. Okay, we're all rock stitty in this weekendy.
Speaker 2: Rock Stitty Ctdio.
Speaker 1: We're gonna send up our prayers to a non interventionist God, and we are gonna send that energy into the universe. And we're gonna get back here on Monday and talk about what a phenomenal weekend it was. Yes, everybody, there you go. But now it's time for the most exciting segment on.
Speaker 2: The radio of its kind in the world of the day.
Speaker 1: All right, now, Crystal, you are new to the board. We're now keeping a running total, running total. It really only is gonna make me look bad at the end of the year, but whatever, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: What is our dad joke of the day? Please, Anthony?
Speaker 4: Did you hear that Arnold Schwarzenegger will be doing a movie about classical music?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's our word of today, please, sir?
Speaker 4: It's an adjective.
Speaker 2: Adjective convivial? Oh uh?
Speaker 1: Doesn't convivial mean someone you like to be around, someone outgoing, energetic, kind of like a fun.
Speaker 4: In the infield?
Speaker 2: Okay, anything agreeable.
Speaker 4: Avial means relating to occupied with or fond of feasting, drinking, and good company.
Speaker 2: That's convivial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are convivial, very convivial. How did the cranberry get its name? How did the cranberry get its name? I don't know the answer this question. Oh oh well.
Speaker 2: This is interesting.
Speaker 1: Dutch and German settlers in North America came up with the name craneberry because the plant's blossoms resembled the neck and head of a crane.
Speaker 2: This was essentially shortened part. There's the thing you know?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Right there? There you go? All right, let's see here in all right? What is our jeopardy category?
Speaker 4: Our category is also a gun part? Okay, Mandy? Four and two so far this year? And of the day, will the wine you'll become the fourth person to lose drop the game? Yeah? Probably only Rick and Grant beating Mandy so far this year. Also a gun part. A weekly or monthly publication.
Speaker 2: Andy, what's a magazine correct?
Speaker 4: Go to get close dot com to see the website for this mouthwash?
Speaker 2: Also a gun part, Mandy, what's SCO correct? Do it yourself? Do it yourselfers?
Speaker 4: No types of it, including riveting, tack and claw.
Speaker 2: This one's harder. Breathe that again?
Speaker 4: Do it yourselfers no types of it, including riveting, tack and claw.
Speaker 2: Oh, Mandy, what's a hammer that is correct? God, it's hard for.
Speaker 1: Me to think of the word and then check to see if it's a gun part.
Speaker 4: To run like lightning or to eat a meal in a hurry? Do you run like the first part is the part that helps you to run like lightning? The next one makes no sense?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know bolt? Oh God?
Speaker 4: And finally, a company shares or a merchants supply of goods?
Speaker 2: Mandy, what stock that is correct? Do you don't feel like you tried? I didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't take the video?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fine, all right, guy. It's a terrible category, great category.
Speaker 1: It was hard because I would then think of an answer, but then I would have to think about if it was a part of a gun that was I would have not done well on the show on that one.
Speaker 2: Oh well to the Broncos.