Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond.
Speaker 2: With Cliff and Bobo.
Speaker 3: These guys are your favorites, so like to subscribe and rade it.
Speaker 2: I'm stuck s meat.
Speaker 3: Just on USh today and listening, oh watching, always keep its watching.
Speaker 2: And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 3: Greetings, Bobo. What's happening Man?
Speaker 4: Oh not much, just down south sweating a little bit.
Speaker 3: What are you doing down there?
Speaker 4: I'll just hang up my mom for a few days.
Speaker 3: Please send her my love. She's adorable. I love her so much. Give her a big hug for Cliff if you could.
Speaker 5: Please will?
Speaker 4: She loves her Cliffy too, who.
Speaker 3: Doesn't Just everyone on Facebook? But besides that good everybody likes Cliff people.
Speaker 4: And some real people in person, non digital people.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like, well real people not bots, because I remember forty sixty percent of all online accounts are robots. So I feel I love it when people get into like philosophical or political arguments with robots. Anybody argues online you got to kind of wonder about their metal stability. But so no, a lot a lot of big foot stuff happening, so cal I imagine, how are you gonna be down there a couple more days, A couple more days.
Speaker 6: Cool yeah, I create a flu home just now. She was down here for like three days.
Speaker 5: Cool well.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to go to the Blues last week. It didn't work out. My car's in the shop, actually still in the shop right now. I'm hoping to get it back today because this weekend I have plans to go up to the Olympic Peninsula. Derek and those guys up at the Olympic Project they invited me up to go hang out for a few days. But if I can get my car back today, I may leave as soon as tomorrow and go out there and hit a few of my favorite spots solo until I go meet up with everybody, and then I got to come back on Monday, I think. So I'll be out in the woods for the next four or five days. If I get my car back, we will see. We have a guest today, maybe we should bring him on. And that's his second appearance, I believe.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Third, So where have I been?
Speaker 2: Fourth? Fourth?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? No, no kidding, who you're You're You're gonna rival Lyle Blackburn soon. For the number of appearances on the on the shows, here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike can't count himself amongst the prolific Texans.
Speaker 3: Now, nice, Yes, we must love our Texans for some reason. Yeah, so we have Mike Mays on today's of course, he's he wrote Valley the Apes, you know, the search for SaaS quationnary X or whatever. The second byline of that is, he's written The Shadow Cats Black Panthers in North America. He does a Texas Bigfoot Hunter blog, and he's just an all around cool guy and he's out in the field of lots. We thought we'd have Mike back on. Mike, thanks so much for coming back on with us for who knows how many times to Bigfoot and beyond. We appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Well, call it three and a half. One time I was on with Darryl Collier had had to split the glory, so we'll call it three.
Speaker 4: You were carrying the load on that one. We'll give you credit for four.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, Nice Sice. What would have you been up too lately? Anything good going on in the field. I kind of hope there is. Well, I myself have not been out this summer. I have been locked up trying to finish two different book projects.
Speaker 5: I was successful with one, and I'm about ninety percent done with the other. I just decided it was time to put my head down and actually finish these things. Both of them are multi year efforts for various reasons. And then this was also the summer. My wife is a high school counselor and she just retired, so she's had all kinds of retirement parties and celebrations and things like that that I feel like I should be around for. So I haven't actually gotten out in the field yet this summer. I have managed to go on a couple of speaking engagement kind of things, but as far as the field goes here goes here in Texas, it's been pretty quiet on my end.
Speaker 3: Well, summer's kind of gross in Texas, isn't it n as high and humid and kind of nassy out there and the thickets. I mean, did you do anything this past winter or spring?
Speaker 5: Well, I think the last real big trip I did was was actually at the very startup last summer when Darryl and I went out to New Mexico. I've done some some more local things. I've I've you know, hiked through the Sam Houston National Forest a couple times in the fall and there's a small window of time where the weather is tolerable and the deer hunters aren't out. Nothing much happened. We I did get to go into aria X with Darryl and and Matt and a couple other guys came and joined us. Matt. That was That was last summer as well, if I'm remembering correctly. And it was fairly quiet there too. So as far as any active field experiences for the last few months, not much as has been going on, even when I did manage to get out. And yes, it's it's pretty gross here right now, but it's a it's down a lot, it's it's a chilly ninety nine today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not selling Texas to me, very hard man. Well, you know, it's a little bit like, you know, Montana. It's easy to sell Montana in the summer. It's harder to sell Montana in.
Speaker 5: You know, January and February, and Texas is kind of the reverse of that. Come fall, come November, December, January, Texas is an easy sell, but summer summer can be rough.
Speaker 3: So it sounds like your heads mostly and in your books right now, and your noses on the grindstone trying to get these things done. Are either of these cryptid related in some sort of way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The one that's ninety percent done is a book that I'm calling Secondhand Monsters. It's about lesser known, less publicized cryptids and mythological creatures and legends and folklore and such from not only North America but all around the world. I broke North America into regions and did five creatures legends from each of those regions, and then I've got going to have five each from each of the other continents minus Antarctica. And again, the whole idea was to kind of highlight some of the stuff that most people aren't going to be familiar with. You know, the people like myself who are big cryptozoology nerds are going to have heard of some of them. But I've made real efforts to try.
Speaker 7: To touch on things that haven't been written extensively about before. Even if someone might have heard of this animal, this thing, there hasn't been a whole lot written about it. I didn't want to just duplicate, you know, someone else's work, so it's just a longer effort. It's kind of each chapter, each little section is its own little essay or vignette about one.
Speaker 5: Of these lesser known legends or animals.
Speaker 3: Well, like what well, I just.
Speaker 5: I've just started one. It has to do with the sinking of a one hundred and fifty foot schooner in the Bay of Bengal. This may not be right, so forgive me if this isn't quite right. Off the top of my head, I believe it was eighteen seventy four, maybe even a few years earlier than that, by a giant squit, you know, a real life cracking attack, and it was witnessed by another ship saw it take the schooner down, And it's something that you know, most people aren't aren't that familiar with the survivors. Oh yeah, there were some survivors, and you know there were captains, you know, Sundent, Captain KK, captain's logs, and you know it's documented that had happened. So that's that's the latest one I just started on. I just just finished up. I did a chapter on a creature they call the killer of elephants in Africa. I've done let's see various lake monsters Lake Bacall and Russia just did a chapter on what they call the silver swimmers of Lake Bacal, which are ten foot long humanoid like what it sounds like swimmers that were encountered by Russian Navy divers who were training. Lake Bacall for those who don't knows, in Siberia, and it is thought to be the oldest lake on the planet and also the deepest, so it makes it an ideal spot for marine divers to practice at great depth. And several men were killed during that incident, not directly by the creatures they witnessed, but they freaked out so bad that they hurried too fast up from this great depth. They all got the bends decompression sickness. And this took place during Cold War years and the Russian Navy was strapped for cash. Apparently they only had one decompression chamber ready to go, so three guys just laid there and died in agony after it was all over.
Speaker 4: So you do that really happens. I've read all about that. I wasn't sure what that was.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, that's the beauty of it is, you know some of these things. I think it's a fact that there was some kind of incident, But you know, you don't have to look in anything involves a government, you don't have to look too much farther than our own two. And this whole UAP thing that's going on, and we're finding out how much has been hidden from us. And I don't think there's any reason to believe that the old Soviet Union was any better about letting their dirty laundry out than we were. So I think it's one of those deals that something happened. Was it exactly what the mythology around it has come to describe, I don't know, but it's a that's part of the fun of the of doing the whole project. Some things are are better documented than others.
Speaker 6: But Russian files actually in this guy not got out like official files that were real Like it's hard to I know you probably don't speak or read Russian.
Speaker 5: But right right, yeah, these were. There was a and I make noted that there's a Russian He was a scientist with the government who later became a big UAP guy, and he has a shaky reputation. He has revealed some things that are absolutely true, and some other things, at least to this point, no one else seems to be able to verify. So it depends on who you talk to as to what this guy's reputation is. But you know, it's it's a legend. That's the beauty of this kind of book. It's about legends and folklore.
Speaker 4: I expected you to sell these things, Mike.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, of all the road trips I'd like to make, I'm not sure Siberia is the number one spot on my list. So, but you know, all actuality, it's the lake. I got to know a little bit about it. It's it's it's they call it the cold or the Russian Galapagos, because it's just teeming with life. And it's not what people think of when they think of Siberia. They think of the frozen wasteland where the Soviet unions sent their political prisoners to go rotten magulags and so forth. And certainly there are spots in Siberia like that, and the weather can be very, very harsh, but this is a spot with a lot of life, and it also has a it's supposed to have some kind of lockedness style monster in it as well, and it's also a hotbed for UFO stuffs. So the call is a is a strange place. I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages. So the report's back closer to home though, because you know, you don't have much of a chance to go to Siberia, as you mentioned, but there are things that you can actually do something about or maybe visit the locations. What are some of the things, and maybe back home in your state of Texas that you've been digging into a little more deeply, like any more black cat reports popping up or something that you've had a chance to go investigate.
Speaker 5: Occasionally, something will pop up mostly and I'm sure you guys see a lot of the same emails and instagrams and things that I see. You know, some photo pops up, you know, Uncle so and so took this on the back forty you know in such and such Texas, and you'll see that same email in that same photo with ten different backstories to it. So you have no idea where it really came from. That has happened. I'll get excited, I'll see a picture and start reaching out to try to get some more details, and then three more people will send it in, each saying it was from a different location from a friend's game camera that they personally know. And it's frustrating because I really believe there's a possibility with some of them that the photo might be genuine. Now it might have been taken on a game preserve somewhere in Africa or Asia or something like that, or Big Cat sanctuary, but the pictures often appear like they're genuine, but the backs where you can't track any of them down because you just don't know which rabbit to chase. And that's the frustrating part of it. And I don't know why that is so prevalent, but it is. Those kinds of experiences, along with these same photos circulate on a yearly basis. Or the picture I use for the cover of the book. People will send that to me saying, hey, look I took this, and I'm like, no, you didn't. You No, no, you didn't because you know, and they obviously haven't read the book because it's it's on the cover. And I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why people do that.
Speaker 5: I do think often the people who send it to me are the ones being duped by someone else, but that happens all the time. But it's just it's very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff in those instances.
Speaker 2: One thing I was curious about that I don't think we touched on the first time that we talked about your book Shadowcats, and one of that. We cover a lot of classic Sasquatch cases on the show and listeners really love that. Obviously, you have things like Ruby Creek and eight Kenyon and the William Row account in the albert osmind account. I was wondering, are there class cases in the Black Panther record. I mean, I know there is a historical record, but are there are there certain ones that really captured people's attention or that had a lot of subsequent information that you could track down big historical cases in that realm.
Speaker 5: Well, there's nothing that would rival the interest in those Sasquatch related classics that you mentioned. There are instances where I felt like there should have been more interests, There should have been more attention from some kind of government agency. The best example I could think of there was a study done up in near Gwelph, Ontario, Canada, and there were rumors of mountain lions, you know, being seen and spotted by the locals, and of course the game and fishing game, folks, I don't know, there's no you know, there might be one coming through every now and then, but it's just a passer through. It's not that we don't have a breeding population. Blah blah blah. So this gentleman set out to have to do a study and try to get to the bottom of whether or not there were breeding populations of mountain lions in this area. So a lot of trained observers of wildlife biologists. I would equate it to They weren't all professionals, but I would equate it to like when the audubn Society does a bird count. These are dedicated bird watchers who are out every weekend on their own. They know their birds and so forth. These were people that were naturalists and some of them were professional, but they knew what a mountain lion looked like, and they knew what a mountain lion didn't look like. And I forget how many accounts there were, but there were a significant number of eye witness in the field notes of the study where they saw quote, black mountain lions end quote. There was one game camera picture of a clearly a large, bulky black cat. It's featured in the book, and it was featured on the front page of the report that was ultimately produced from this and it just says in the caption black jaguar photographed outside Guelph, Ontario and the date, and then that's all that's said about it. Nothing else is said. Then they go on, you know, the study was, of course to find out if there were mountain lions around. They found out, hu, you know, there actually are. They did not seem to want to stray outside of what the mission statement of the study was about. And this this strange, these visuals of these large black, long tailed cats that aren't supposed to exist in North America, much less a photograph of what the author of the study him self labeled as a black jaguar in Canada. It was mentioned and then but that was it and there was no follow up whatsoever. Oh that's bizarre.
Speaker 2: I guess the big difference maybe would be that since we did have jaguars in the southern part of what's now the United States for so long, I mean, I guess there were still jaguars surviving in Appalachia just until the eighteen hundreds, and even in some places supposedly like the early nineteen hundreds, that it really wouldn't be as strange or unusual to see big cats, and since jaguars are melanistic, it wouldn't be as strange as you know, apes or mountain devils or wildman or whatever. And so maybe it's not that there are no historical quote unquote classic cases, just because they were seen as frequently as any other normal wildlife on the landscape. And it's only now that it seems mysterious that people see black cats, maybe within the last half of the twentieth century, early part of the twenty first century, that it's quote unquote strange or unusual or anomalists.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I've got it now in front of me. The study was conducted by a gentleman named Rick Rosotte Rosatte, you can look it up. It was a photo in question that I've been discussing, was taken outside of Guelph, Ontario, in April of twenty ten, and it was identified simply as a black jaguar, and not much else was said about it in the report itself. It does mention there were multiple sightings of black mountain lions or large black cats, but that's about as far as it goes back to your point, Matt, depending on where you are, you're correct in that the black cat phenomenon is not considered anything particularly unusual in some places. Back close to where I grew up in East Texas, the Piney Woods area of East Texas near Big Thicket Country, a black panther was nothing that was. It certainly wasn't common. You didn't people didn't claim to see them all the time every day or anything like that. But it wasn't that unusual either, and no one seemed to really bad an eye about it whenever one was brought up. And of course they get blamed for every weird noise in the woods. Oh that's a panther screaming, you know, howling whatever, And that's just the way it was. And down in my part of the world, if you get ten twelve people in a room, somebody in there will say that they've seen one, or know somebody has someone in their family who's seen one. It's a much more prevalent thing than a sasquatch sighting.
Speaker 6: Is.
Speaker 5: People that will laugh in your face about a bigfoot sighting will they'll fight you if you try to tell them there's no such thing as a black panther because you know, they know what they saw, or my grandpa wouldn't lie, you know, the whole range of things. So it's in some places it's just embedded in the culture. Is just another animal that lives out in the woods, and so yeah, it's not considered anything that would be a big deal per se. I would think though, as far north as Canada and with a scientific study with wildlife biologists running it, they should know that, hey, that's not supposed to be here and that would warrant further investigation. But it just doesn't seem to have done. So I guess the parameters of a grant or such you have. You know, they're giving you some money to do this, but it's to do a specific thing and that thing only, and maybe there was no money to follow up on it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it seems so plausible. We were just talking about this on a member's episode recently, so these this group, you know, our main listenership hasn't heard this conversation. But we were just talking about a video essay that was done by I think it was Luke Caverns, and I'll post a link to that in the show. Not it's been talking about the survival of the American jaguar, which was historically referred to as the American tiger t y g R. And so there's a lot of these old references, but that you know, you see jaguars reflected in all sorts of expedition logs and correspondences and media articles going back from the you know, seventeen hundreds clear through to the early nineteen hundreds. And I know that some of those jaguars, I think some of the later ones even collected, were up in Ohio. And you think, well, just on the other side of the lake there, on the other side of Lake Erie is Ontario there and looks like gelf is just a bit west of Toronto, So it doesn't seem too far fetched. But it's just kind of amazing to me that at least with Sasquattry, there's been a number of efforts. Now they might have been mostly amateur or volunteer efforts from the Pacific Northwest Expeditions to Peter Burns Bigfoot Information Center, to the BFRO, the NAWAC, the Olympic Project on, and has there ever been a real effort to try to go after or intentionally encounter, photograph document black panthers in North America that you're aware of.
Speaker 5: Not that I'm aware of. No, And you know, this can kind of go back to, you know, the frustration I had trying to get those black hairs that were sent into me. Gentlemen in Central Texas contacted me through my blog years ago saying that he hit a large black cat with his vehicle traveling on a farm to market highway in Central Texas, and long story short, he banged up his car pretty good and embedded on the grill and on the bumper were these black hairs. And he asked me if I would like him to collect them and send him in to me. And of course absolutely. Once I had him in my possession, couldn't find anybody to look at him. Nobody would. And I didn't just take the guy's word for it. Had a friend at that time in the Nawac whose hobby was looking at things under a microscope, and he was he was familiar with hair morphology of pretty much every animal, every mammal in North America, and he had a guide to look at and so forth. And he he looked at them, he could not identify them. He said it wasn't bear, it wasn't coyote or wolf, it wasn't feral hog, it wasn't a dog. And he actually said the closest thing he said it was not exact, but the closest thing he could match it up to was a was a leopard. And well, no, those were sent in to old Darby, and I'm waiting to hear back from those. You know. I know most people associate Darby or Cut's efforts with sasquatch evidence, but he was actually collecting evidence for all kinds of you know, anything unusual and possibly new or different out of place, and so he was happy to get those. But it took nearly a decade from the time I received them until Darby's study came along. Before that, I sent I contacted pretty much every biology department at every college, every university in the state of Texas, and I got two replies. One was I won't say the name of the school, but basically it was just a lecture telling me that I was wasting my time in his time and there was no such thing. And I said, well, how do you know there's no such thing? He said, because there's no evidence. I said, well, I think maybe I have evidence. He said, well, your evidence is invalid. I said, well, why do you say that? He says, because there's no such thing. And so it was this circuitous, frustrating argument with this guy just couldn't and wouldn't even be open minded enough to look at it. I wouldn't ask anybody to do DNA testing. I just said, can you look at the US under a microscope? Maybe we can eliminate it is something common, you know, right away, and nobody was willing to do it.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: The other university was in southeast Texas, and the gentleman I talked to was the head of the department. He was initially quite enthusiastic about it. And this was in the years. I forget which hurricane it was. I don't remember if it was Rita or which hurricane it was, but had blown through done a lot of damage and it really taken down a lot of trees and vegetation. And he was out near Annawac, Texas, which is south of Beaumont, but kind of between Beaumont and Houston, very marshy along the coast and he told me, oh, yeah, I saw one myself, and you know outside that, you know, close to Annawak after the hurricane, and you know this, this is the head of the department talking to me. And he was, yeah, yeah, you know. Let me tell you, he says, now, he was mainly a herb guy. He said, let me talk to my mammal guy and we'll get back with you. I was like, all right, And a week went by, two weeks went by, I never heard from so I gave him another call. I didn't want to bother him, bug him, but at the same time, I wanted to get somebody to look at this stuff. And when I got him the second time, his whole tone was different, and he said, no, they're not interested. There's no such thing as black panthers. I might be on speculation, but I figured what happened is he went to his mammal specialist and that guy gave him a hard time about it and kind of gave him the usual lecture that reserved for people like me. And I don't know if he was embarrassed or what, but he's like, no, we don't wan anything to do with it. And so they sat in my Night's Dan drawer at my house for nearly ten years until Darby orcut Study came around. But they are in his hands now and I'm hopeful. Yeah, I got like faith in Darby.
Speaker 3: I speak to him fairly often, and he's very close lipped about a lot of different things. But I know that there is movement. And I've spoken to a couple of people in the last two months voicing frustration or impatience really is what it is with the whole thing. How come we haven't heard anything then and whatever else? And they can nitpick and invent issues and stuff with it. And I kept telling him, you know, even if they had a positive full genome today sasquatches are real, we wouldn't hear anything about it for two or three years until the whole thing's published. And they don't have a full genome right now. But there are interesting samples, and a lot of samples have been identified, but they have not been released yet because the easily identifiable ones are they are the ones that are not sasquatches. So, and of course, think about the media and social media and all that kind of stuff. If they start releasing negative hits, then that's everybody that's all everybody's gonna hear about it. But turn into another doctor Brian Sykes situation where where he announces a bunch of things that are not yet he's and therefore yetties don't exist. So Darby knows what he's doing. Everybody out there needs to have a little bit of patience. I think, Yeah, And it's hard.
Speaker 5: We live and you know, we're the kind of people that you know, stand in front of a microwave and yell hurry, you know, when we're heating something up for twenty five to thirty seconds. And yeah, we are instant gratification type people in this society that we're in now. So it's hard. I appreciate, you know, how how disciplined he's being, and how tight lippt he's been, and certainly from what little I can tell from the outside, and seems like like he and his team are going about things the right way.
Speaker 3: So I have high hopes for it.
Speaker 5: But but we'll see it. You know. At least I finally had somebody, you know, willing to take a look at him. That's all I really ever wanted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not just one person either, that's another big misconception. People have told me Darby's not even a scientist. You can't be trusted at these samples. Now he's not a scientist, You're absolutely correct. He is the guy that gets scientists to talk to one another who normally wouldn't speak to another. He has I think, I don't think I'm an exaggerator exaggerating at all when I say I believe he has at least a dozen or more scientists that are actually working very closely with him. So yeah, and I could be wrong abou the number. I don't really know. Again, but I was exciting. You know, he's certainly kind of managing the whole thing.
Speaker 5: I kind of equate him to a general manager of a sports franchise. You know, he collects the talent, puts it together, and then lets them do their thing. And he's not the coach, he's not the player, but he's overseeing the whole thing and making sure all the everybody that needs to talk to one another is and that left hand knows what the right hand's doing. And and again he seems to have accumulated a team of people that know what they're doing. So very hopeful, and now I would like it to go faster. Like everybody else, I would love to hear something. But in some ways, I think, and maybe I'm making myself feel better. I think the longer it goes, the better sign it might be. Yeah, hundred percent. So, And it's been it's been a little over two years now since I sent those in, And I do check in with him from time to time, and like you said, he's very closed live. He'll just tell me, yes, things are things are moving along, and you know, that's about all he'll say, you know, And I understand, but I get why people are a little impatient too. It's, you know, people aren't familiar with the processes and the steps and the need to be able to duplicate results and things like that, and just it takes time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing like this has ever been done nothing, you know, all the other reports that you've about DNA and all that stuff never been done before. He's doing it the right way, which takes a long time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think along the lines of evidence, because I will have a link to your book Shadow Cats and the show notes there. So the photo that you reference that's on the cover, anybody can go see that. Just click the link and the show notes today Amazon listing. It's right there. Your book has a lot of super cool photo evidence. But since we reference that photo in particular, do you want to tell everybody the story behind that photo?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's a photo. This is one of the pictures that goes round and round and comes with, you know, eighteen backstories. And it's somewhat controversial to a lot of people who claim that it's it's just a big house cat, and I don't know, you know, it's I look at that, I don't see housecat. I see a lot of pictures where I do think, okay, that is a housecat.
Speaker 3: This photo.
Speaker 5: I was able to track down the family that took it. It was from Iberia Parish, Louisiana, and they were having a kind of a family I don't know if it was a formal family reunion, but there was kind of a family to get together and a bunch they were outside and they were eating and they're probably out playing washers and all kinds of stuff out there and the lookout walking across the pasture the field, there is this big, old, long, long tailed black cat and they snapped this picture. Now, the Louisiana Fishing Game folks came out because they called them, and they came out and they did some sort of recreation, and they told the family that it was it was the size of a house cat. They were mistaken. It wasn't as big as they thought. And to be fair, perspective is something that's always difficult to ascertain when you talk to witnesses, and what was the animal seen really truly really big or was it closer than you thought it was, was it really small or was it just farther away than you thought it was? You know that kind of thing. And if there's no landmarks, you know, you're out in the middle of a pasture. It's hard to nail down exactly where this thing was. Maybe, but they told the family that it was just the size of the house cat. They had nothing to worry about.
Speaker 3: I tracked down the lady.
Speaker 5: Who took the picture and spoke to her, and she got all worked up. I'm sure obviously not for the first time. She got just hopping mad again talking about it. She says, I don't care what they say, and everybody in my family will tell you the same thing. That was a big animal, that was not a house cat, you know, So you when people say, oh, that's been you know, that's been proven to be not a hoax, but it's just a house cat, you know, that's been debunked. That photo. I guess in a way, they're telling the truth because that is the official explanation that came out. But when I talked to the lady who took the picture, she was adamant, I mean adamant. And there was another person in the background, you know, just you know, yeah, yeah, amen, yeah, tell him, tell him, tell him about this, you know. And I mean so they were very very believable, credible, and it's a striking image, and so that was why I chose to use it. They gave me permission to use it.
Speaker 6: That's like the PG film kind of level for block casts, right, Yeah, well, in my mind it kind of is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But it was featured, you know, on the news down there, and I got some attention, and I remember.
Speaker 6: When that came out, and I've seen it pop up, you know, for the last thirty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's one of the ones that yearly, you know, it starts making the rounds again and but you know, it'll have a different backstory to it, and it's frustrating, but you know, it is what it is. But that's the story of that one. And it's, uh, it is what it is? What is it? Well exactly, but you know, I look at it, it's it just it seems longer bodied to me than a argal house cat. And but you know, again I could be wrong, but I do know that family believes that it was panthers sized. It was a big cat, and they convinced me and that so we used it for the cover of the book.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, one of the things we talked about in that members episode recently we were kind of riffing on black cats, was that the jaguar is probably like the easiest explanation to reach for, and that maybe because they were so hunted and extirpated in so many places by humans, that it would be the case that the ones that would be harder to see and hunt would be the melanistic ones. And could you impose enough pressure to only leave a breeding population or primarily a breeding population of melanistic ones where that becomes a dominant trait and not just a recessive trait but it really made me wonder, like what if we got jaguar mating calls. It went out in some of these places where sightings have happened and blasted those just to see what.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that's a great idea. It's just you know, cats are so mobile and you just take a mountain line. For example, a big tom big mail mountain lion you know, has a range of I mean it's huge, and so that cat might come through once a year, be there for a couple of days, and you know it's hard to track them down. Really, the only way to you know, really effectively hunt hunt these cats is to use dogs. And course most places don't have vast areas of public access land to run dogs across. You know, your you're hopping fences and your you're trespassing left right. You know. It's so it's there's all kinds of difficulties in that. Well.
Speaker 2: I mean also you would have that in states where mountain lions are a recognized and then b hunting is legal, and so you're not going to have that in Georgia or North Carolina or South Carolina or Oklahoma, Arkansas.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's in Texas, it's it's legal to to take a mountain lion. It's recognized. You know, we do have a recognized breeding population out in the Big Ben area far west Texas. Now, anybody that pays attention at all will realize that, you know, they're really they're seeing at least periodically all over the state. But it's considered a non game animal and you don't have to have any kind of special tag or anything like. They're supposed to have a hunting license, but you know, there's no season on them or anything like that, so you can take them. Now, the fear with a black one would be if it did turn out to be a jaguar, that would be considered, you know, an endangered species, and you can find yourself in trouble, you know. And that's where you run into all these stories where people get close mouthed and the philosophy has always been shoot, shovel and shut up, you know, and they don't like to talk about it. But but you mentioned you touched on something with the genetics. What's interesting. One of the questions that I get a lot is how come people if they are jaguars, why do people never see the more commonly rosetted spotted coats. How come they're always black? And it's a valid question. Of course. Those casts have been seen in Arizona and in New Mexico. Maybe you've heard about the Macho be jaguar out in Arizona. They've got photographed multiple times and periodically these pictures will come out, you know, if they can, If they can cross the border up from Mexico into those states, there's no reason to think they couldn't make it into Texas as well. So just because correct, Yeah, they're all males. Yeah, which what'll be really exciting if we ever get a female on camera, because the females typically don't go nearly as far away from their birthplace. Males will range looking for their own territory. But the black, the black coat. What's interesting about it is that in jaguars, melanism is a dominant trait. In leopards, it's a recessive trait. So there's a whole section in the book where I'll go back into like ninth grade biology class and we do the punnet squares again and just to show that if there was a popular, a remnant, relic population of jaguars and just say the American South Texas, whatever and one of them was black over the course of the years, that being a dominant trait. If they were cut off from the larger breeding population of Mexico and Central America, then eventually these cats would all be black because it's a dominant trait, and that could help explain, you know, how come we're not seeing the spotted once.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting.
Speaker 4: I just assumed it was a recessive trait.
Speaker 6: But that's really interesting is dominant And yeah, if they're up here, that would make sense.
Speaker 4: I never thought of that at all.
Speaker 5: It's a mutation, I guess in the classic sense. But you know, people think of mutations as always being you know, a bad thing. You know, you hear mutant, you think, you know, some kind of freak of nature. I think of that kind of thing. But nature won't allow a mutation that's deleterious to the species to survive. It's kind of like an US human exactly. Yeah, we've removed Darwinism from the from our equation. And if you don't believe me, just go to any Walmart. But it's kind of like an Arctic fox, say up in Alaska, whose coat turns white too soon. Now he sticks out like a sore thumb. You know, he's snow white before the snow comes, and he's probably not gonna make it. Nature is just not gonna let that happen because that is that doesn't help the species. It has to at least be it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt either for nature to allow it to survive, whatever the mutation may be. So you go with leopards, which are African and Asiatic cats, it's a recessive trait, but you see far more black leopards in Southern Asia than you do in Africa. Darker jungle settings in Asia, more grasslands, you know, I think the Serengetti plains and things like that in Africa where a black cat would stick out more in that yellowish, you know, greenish grass, but in the dark jungle they're more of them because it's not a disadvantage there, just like the jaguarundi small wildcat. Central America, South America, for the most part, you'll see black ones more often in the jungles than you will in the more open areas because it's just a darker environment and so nature doesn't get rid of that mutation in those cases. And so you know that's so that's kind of the genetic story with the difference between the jaguars and the leopards. So's it's possible that could explain why only black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that to me just seems like the most likely explanation based on everything we already know, or at least I guess maybe for the South or the southeastern United States where there once were jaguars and they were heavily hunted, and I know those are the reasons they were extirpated. I guess, you know, we hunted a lot of their food resources, and we did a lot of logging, so we hunted them, we hunted their prey, and we removed a lot of their.
Speaker 5: Habitat at times.
Speaker 2: But to me, it is totally plausible that whatever you're left with, that melanism would become I guess the primary survivors. And then to your point, I had no idea about that that, Yeah, if you cut off their gene flow from the greater population, eventually they'd all become melanistic. Anyway, that's really fascinating. It's such an interesting subject. It's amazing that more people don't pursue it. I mean, I've never pursued it. I would definitely notice if I if I gave a cross from while I was squatting.
Speaker 1: But it does seem kind of We joked about this too, that you know, you always seem to find something when you're not looking for it, and so on members episode, i'd said, yeah, I bet if we became black panther researchers we'd see sasquatches more often.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe we should try it exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, there was a number of pictures in your book which I would highly recommend. I brought it up to so many people because, like you would mention not being able to go anywhere without meeting people who either have seen one or know someone who's seen one. The last trip I took down to Georgia, took my dad down to see a lot of his side of the family, and the sasquatch thing came up, obviously, But then as soon as I brought up the big black hat thing, I got so many stories and from people who was close friends or relatives had seen them, or people who had seen them themselves. And so it does seem like, oh, it would be you'd have a lot of threads to follow up on and pursue. But it's also really interesting that no one is really pursuing it as in an organized way, in the same way that they have pursued the sasquatch subject. So but anyway, speaking of like that physical evidence, I'm sure you've gotten a lot of whole lot of photographs. And that's the thing I always recommend your book to people. I know the book came out a number of years ago now, but even in there you include a number of photographs. So are there are the ones that really moved you or have you gotten some sense the book was published that you think, oh man, this might be the real thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got one just this past week. It wasn't actually sent directly to me. And again it's well, there's one in the book. It's on the first page of anyone who has a book who might be listening, the first page of chapter thirteen. It's the chapter about the hair samples. Actually, and there's a picture there of big, muscular, bulky black cat walking. You know, usually, even with common species game camera I don't know what it is, you tend to get the butt. You hardly ever get the head. I don't know. You know, the camera takes too long to activate, so you get the back half of the animal or the animals always walking away from the camera. It seems like in this case it's walking right up to the camera. It's clear as day, and it's it is what it is. It's a big, muscular black cat. This is no house cat kind of a deal. So it's it's the case of that it's a genuine photo and it's a spectacular image. But with a little digging, you know, despite the fact that goes around year after year. It was taken in in Africa. It's it's a it's a melanistic leopard on a game preserve in Africa. It is a real photograph, but it is not taken in Centerville, Texas. Was not taken in East Texas. It was not taken by your uncle and on his property. You know. It was taken in South Africa. That's the thing, you know. So I saw a picture that was similar. It was obvious what it was, but I just there's no chain of custody is not the right term, but there's no logical sequence. It's always a picture. I got this from a friend who says that her uncle got it from You know, you can't get to the origin of it, just hardly ever, and so a lot of these are dead ends. Even though the picture might be legitimate, you've got no way to follow up on it. And so the book, like said, has been out now for several years. I'm not getting as much as I used to. Hopefully this will help and people will start sending me some stuff a little more often again as it comes in.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 5: I think part of it, I got such a crush of information and photos. Originally there were bigfoot sites, you know, and there were Bigfoot research groups, and there were people to take reports and photos and evid but these people they had there's no Black Panther research group out there, and so these people had just set on their stories in some cases for decades, and so there was this huge backlog of stories. So I was just just overwhelmed at first. Over the years that has slowed down a lot. I think a lot of people got their story out, but new things do keep coming in, but it's just so often it's these second, third, fourth hand reports.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such an interesting subject, and you know, we did open up for our membership to let them know that you were coming on again and if they had any questions. It was really interesting because you know, we talked about Valley the Apes loot, so there was a lot of Sasquatch related questions, but there were just as many, you know, there were a lot of really great black panther related questions. So I know we'll hop over to that in a bit, but I'm sure people would love to hear about where they can find your books, and then also your newest release.
Speaker 5: Well, all my stuff you can find it pretty much wherever online books are. You might occasionally find a physical copy somewhere, but your best bet is Amazon Books, a Million, Barnes and Noble, those kinds of the typical places, so you can find them there. The latest book that I published just a couple of weeks ago, it's a it's a children's book and it's fully illustrated. Illustrations are really cool, and it's it's a it's called be Where the Pink Gorilla. And this is a story I heard as a It was kind of a folk tale that went around in my little corner of southeast Texas, and as far as I knew, that's where that's the only place where this story was, and you would hear all kinds of different versions. But since then, I've learned that other parts of the country, you know, you'll you'll you'll run into this little story. And it's just a kid's story. It's not a myth or a legend. It's not supposed to be something that's real or anything like that. It's just a kind of a playfully spooky story that has a happy ending to it. It's a it's a children's story all the way, and it's just something that all I loved it when I was a kid, and this particular version that that we kind of crafted, and it's I told my kids this story probably twice a week. They requested it from the time they were old enough, you know, when I was putting them to bed, and almost they'd be and they'd be embarrassed to tell you. Almost to high school. And now I'm telling that to grand babies, you know. So kids just like the story. It's it's just spooky enough at the beginning to give them that rush, and then of course it's a it's a happy ending at the end. But it's it's called Beware the Pink Gorilla, and it's beautifully illustrated. It's it's I don't know if the writing's any good, but the illustrations are worth the money. I was excited to get that. I've been intending to get that out for several years now, and I just always got distracted and busy with other things. In this summer, I just decided I needed to get that book out, and I need to get Secondhand Monsters finished, and I got the kid's book out, and now I'm about ninety percent through with the others, so I'm I don't think I'm going to quite make it completely get them both done before the summer's over and I go back to work, but I'm going to be very, very close.
Speaker 3: Very we add that onto a long list of books you've been producing for all this time. That'll be exciting to get out. And the children's books also hit big, you know, because I think you need to get the kids into this sort of thing early, even if you're you know, if what is it a pink gorilla?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, if you need.
Speaker 3: To use a pink gorilla as a gateway drug for children, absolutely do it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: You know, I agree with you, Cliff I, And this is you know, I was in the classroom for almost thirty years, and you always I would always run into the kids reading. I said, no you don't, Yes I do. I said, no, you don't. You just need to read about what you like. I said, everybody likes something, right. If you're into cars, read books about cars. If you're into sports, read books about sports. You know, if you're into scary stuff, you know, go check out some Stephen kingbooks something. But it's not reading you don't like. Now, you may not enjoy reading a history book, I get it, right, But you can't just not read. So whatever can get kids to be better readers, stronger readers, to not be intimidated by reading. Attempting to read something I think is a good thing. And and you're right, the earlier you can do it, the better. And there's nothing that makes me feel better than you know. I got a two year old granddaughter. She'll open up a book, she'll be holding it upside down, but she's you know, quote reading it un quote. You know she's doing her fingers. Now it's not John Green yet, you know, she's still likes her pictures. But the earlier you can get him go on the better. And so if this helps with that just a little bit. That's great well, and also not just children to adults. A lot of adults like a full what is it, some horrifying thing like fifteen to twenty percent of Americans are functionally illiterate, or.
Speaker 3: Something to that effect. It was some huge number like that. It's awful and it's never too late, you know. One of the things that I've taken away from my studies of the Blue Mountains so far is that Paul Freeman, who is I believe was heavily dyslexic based on the writing that I've seen that he's produced. So I've said it many times. If he was in my classroom, I would have referred him for testing. But Michael Freeman told me that later in his life, his dad was actually putting a lot of effort into reading because he realized how important it was for his Bigfoot studies. Because he wasn't super literate. Michael told me, if you ever saw his signature, it was almost certainly his wife's signature signing for him because he just didn't like to do that stuff. He was embarrassed by it. And a lot of adults are like that. I have known adults that are functionally literate and there's nothing wrong with reading the children's book if you're if you have struggle, if you struggle with reading, because the practice is the only way forward. So congratulations on that. I'm just putting these things out there because I know there is some probably closet readers out there who are doing the best they can with what they have.
Speaker 5: So well, thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 3: So should we hop over to the member section and let the pigeons at them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's a lot of awesome questions that they had submitted, so I think it would be a great episode.
Speaker 6: Let's do it, all right, Well, cool, and we're going to head over to the Patreon folks for the pigeons to get a little private one on want with Mike and.
Speaker 4: The rest of us.
Speaker 6: If you want to join us, that sounds good, just follow the link the Patreon five bucks a month and you're in cuck couck Coop with the best of us. All right, Well, thanks for tuning in, Hit Like hit Share thanks to Mike days. Check out those books on the links below, and we'll see the pigeons at the next stop and the rest of you we'll see you all next week. So until then keep it squatchy.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.