Speaker 1: Here's your Channel nine first warning weather forecast. Sunny day today. I have seventy overnight clear in forty tomorrow sunnay as well seventy four clear of a night fifty one and another mostly sundayday on Saturday're gonna go up to seventy nine degrees right now, forty nine degrees.
Speaker 2: Time for a traffic update.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Tramphic Center. Mammogram saved VI. It's called five one three five eight four pink. To schedule your annual mammogram with U see House experteen. That's five one three five eight four pink. Northbound seventy five crews continue to work with a couple of accidents, one on the left near Mitchell, one on the right near the lateral Traffic backing towards seventy four. The latest wreck is westbound two seventy five and seventy one left lane is currently blocked off. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR. See the talk station.
Speaker 2: A twenty nine.
Speaker 1: On a Thursday, Slash Friday Eve Always loved this time a week. It is time for iHeart Mediavash expert Jay Rattloff Jay, how you doing?
Speaker 2: My good friends? Always a pleasure to have you on the program.
Speaker 4: Good morning to you. I'm doing very well, too many things to be thankful for.
Speaker 5: It to be otherwise, you know that.
Speaker 2: Well are you done at the Southern Command right now?
Speaker 5: Oh? We are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the winds the tropical storm warning kicked in and about to this morning we were starting to get some gusting winds forty to fifty miles an hour with some rain. Most of it was just the winds though. And we've got four of these great, big oak trees that are hundreds of years old the yard and we keep them, you know, trimmed out of all the dead stuff. But having storm after storm after storm, you wonder just how they're going to be able to withstand that. We had some damage to the house with one of the trees at the last storm, and we're thinking, okay, is how the wind's going to be now?
Speaker 5: But we fared okay.
Speaker 4: And even if we didn't, I mean, goodness, looking at the path of destruction going through Florida, that's just again just terrific. And you know, to see so much, you know, happening, it's just makes you count your blessings.
Speaker 1: Amen to that, And I just real quick i'd ask, are you in an area that could be described as a flood zone, or do you have any risk of any flooding happening. I know with the torrential rains you might get a little water in your house or something. But are you high enough a way that you're not going to be dealing with this potential issues?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're hind enough.
Speaker 4: We happen to live on a peninsula, so we've got deep water on both sides of the house, but it is far enough down that it would have to come up quite a bit for that to be the case. And we've got a two level house, so would you go upstairs if things start coming through the front doors?
Speaker 5: So we would be okay there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we are not technically in a flood zone, which means we pay six hundred and eighty dollars a year for flood insurance versus the sixty eight hundred a year it would be if it was a flood zone. So I'm pleased to say we are not.
Speaker 1: Oh and so am I That's good. One thing that maybe don't have to worry about. One thing we might have to worry about. And I know we've talked before about the idea of getting rid of co pilots and just having one pilot in the cock And I know you you're on record saying that I think that's a bad idea. Well, welcome to reality. I think you're right, Jay, it sounds like a bad idea when your airline captain drops dead in the middle of the flight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a Turkish airline flight. I think they're going laed Is symbul and so they're tooling across the country and yeah, a medical event takes place, the captain collapses, they have medical intervention, which means the flight attendants get involved. They've got a defibrillator on board, you've got medical personnel that are always on the flight that will come and try to assist. The flight made emergency landing in New York and by that time the captain was gone. So it was just really a sad situation. And yes, both Airbus and Boeing are working on prototypes for the airlines at their request that would be in essence, a single pilot cockpit, stating that the automation that's available today makes a second pilot unnecessary. And of course in a situation like this, excuse me, yes, you do need it now now, Brian Here's the other thing, though, The people that say there should be no pilots cocktail will point to this as an example of why you should not have anyone up there. They'll point to the fact that most accidents in your accidents are the result of human air and they'll say that you've got so many airlines from a logistics standpoint, that have to worry about the number of hours the crew members flying inconveniencing passengers when weather causes delays, where those hours are exceeded and everything has to stop. If everything's fully automated, you have none of those worries, and the airplanes can be kept in motion. Passengers wouldn't be inconvenience, and they will they will throw it out that yes, it would be safer.
Speaker 5: I don't agree.
Speaker 1: I don't okay, let me let me just see any one pilot situation. Pilot drops dead, how does the automation safely land the plane? I mean, IOW, I know about ISOs, but how would that kick camp.
Speaker 4: Someone would be trained on the aircraft to step in. Now, they would be a pilot to some extent, but they would be trained on how to get everything turned over to the automation side of things not what not the experienced level you would have if you'd have you know, two pilots that had you know, tens of thousands of hours or whatever between them on the flight deck. So and again, the computers can only respond to what they've been programmed for. And I know it's an overused example, but the Hudson River landing with the bird strike with US Airways, We've never before had a double engine bird strike that caused both engines to stop, turning that airplane into a glider. Had the computer on board an aircraft been faced with something that wasn't programmed for, what's going to happen? And look, this is just years after nine to eleven and you've got an airplane that's out of control with no engines, headed towards downtown New York.
Speaker 5: I mean, please, it's just yeah, it would have been horrific.
Speaker 1: So and then also you talk about, you know, they can only do what they've been programmed to do. I understand the concept of garbage in garbage out, and that not that they would be putting garbage into it, but they can't anticipate every scenario. But also, what are the concept of hacking or maybe an EMP or something. Once the electronics are rendered incapable or corrupt, wouldn't it be nice to flip the switch and be able to go to full manual. I mean, so if you had a real license pilot then knows how to land a plane without the automation, that someone would be there for that total agreement.
Speaker 4: In fact, I want somebody that has a vested interest in that plane landing sell I want their butt on the line too. So when I understand and I saw over the decades of working in that industry, and I saw the level of training of these pilots where the front landing gear was locked sideways and they're coming into land and what do you do, Well, no problem, They just landed like the Space Shuttle. They landed with the nose up, and they allow it to continue to go down the runway, nose up the entire way, and in the last few minutes they just drop it down on the nose where, yeah, the wheels sideways is going to scribble a little bit. Now, that happened with a Jet Blue flight out on the West coast, and that's exactly how they handled it, exactly the way they've trained. And when the captain got off the plane. He was ticked because he missed the center line by I think six inches. That's how good these people, these men and women are.
Speaker 1: Let's pause on that heavy note and we'll bring Jay back. Talk with hurricane conditions, the airport closures. When is commercial flight activity going to resume in Earnest? Plus hub delays which is a component of that more with Jay Ratliff after these brief words, it's beyond.
Speaker 2: Hi Kersee detox station. Jay Ratliff has higher mediation.
Speaker 1: After Jay Ratliff, with just one more segment, we got to go a little shorter day because empower are you some of our Rob Tunnel is going to join the program in the last thing to talk about why we don't need a constitutional convention. In the interim, let's get back to Jay and talk about hurricane We've got obviously back to back hurricanes. But in terms of shutting down airports, I gotta imagine Tampa's not open right now. But what's the story on this? When are you opening one?
Speaker 2: Will?
Speaker 1: When will they reopen in Earnest? And when will this commercial flight activity resume?
Speaker 4: YEAF airports closed Tampa, Saint Pete, Fort Myers, Sarasota, all the way across Orlando Daytona Beach. All of those have pretty much closed down Tuesday and Wednesday, and Brian, we're expecting today that as the storm has moved through, the airports will have to go through their necessary inspections. They'll be doing runway inspections, they'll be looking at the avionics systems around the airport, making sure that it's also safe from a facility standpoint for the employees, the passengers.
Speaker 5: The aircraft, the crews, all of that.
Speaker 4: And they've got a checklist of everything they go through to make sure things are okay, and then once that's been verified, flight activity will start to resume. We might start to see some trickles later today, but I think that within the next probably twenty four hours, we'll start to see these airports come back to life. And I think they should be back to full schedule as early as Saturday. I've been getting a lot of emails from people traveling this weekend or you know, coming up over the Monday Columbus Day saying Jay, what do you think and given where these aircraft are staged and the plans airlines have indicated, I think that we'll be back to full schedule as early as Saturday. Now, maybe some things will change, but this storm has moved so fast that it's going to allow us to recover quickly. Now, obviously, if there's any airport damage to the facility itself, any runway damage where flooding or anything is corrupted a runway, it might limit flight activity. But I suspect that we're going to be in pretty good shape in just a couple of days and we'll be back to normal operations.
Speaker 1: Well, any of these airports you rattled off, any of this made your hubs, Like when you think of Dallas or you know, Chicago, you know major hubs. Atlanta is another one. But are there are any of them that are that big that could have a profound ripple effect?
Speaker 2: Are there?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean Spirit has fluff lights where they've made in essence, the Orlando a hub from the from the idea of anything big.
Speaker 5: Most of the major.
Speaker 4: Hubs in Florida would be the Miami International at Fort as well, but mainly Miami. Orlando would be kind of a close second, and then Tampa. But a lot of these are just the in and out the direct flights as outstations operate. And again, the good news is that the people that do this, they are so good at getting these airports back up because remember that's that's a revenue mission, yes, and the last thing you want to do is have a silver revenue tube as we call them, an aircraft sitting around not doing anything.
Speaker 5: As well as the.
Speaker 4: Airports, they want to get that bad boy fired up as quickly as they can. They just need to make sure it's safe before they do it, and then as soon as that it's done, it's like, hey, let's get the flights.
Speaker 5: In here and go from there.
Speaker 4: Orlando was never closed totally because it was still open for emergency operations if the military had to bring in any sort of relief flight with medical personnel, cargo, those kinds of things. But again, when you look at Debbie, how slow it moved and the problems it gave us, this storm has been a very fast one and it's exactly what we want to have. Not those winds, obviously, but we want the storm to move through quickly so that we can resume normal flight operations because you've got airlines that are trying to bring in cargo, yeah, as well as the first responders and people that are anxious to get home to check on friends, family and their property. So you can't resume that stuff too soon.
Speaker 1: Well, real quick for we get hub Lays and part Covey this week. Jay, How about the airplanes themselves? Did they fly those out of the area before the hurricane was on final approach?
Speaker 2: If he so bold always, I.
Speaker 4: Mean what happens is, long before the winds got to the point where they were problematic, airlines canceling flights and aircraft that were scheduled to be at all those airports that were impacted in Florida, we stage them in other airports. We'll get them out of there to nearby airports that are out of the range of this storm. Because you never want to have an aircraft that's in a high wind event where you've got debriflying all over the place, that's going to get demed. It becomes a mechanical situation. It's out of service, so the mechanics can fix whatever damage it is. So you don't take that chance. You get these expensive airplanes out of harm's way, and as soon as that storm moves through Boom, you get them back in their airlines stink when it comes to customer service, but are regular flight operations like this. They've got down to a t and they do a very good job because they get us all accommodated long before we have to get to the airport. They let us know our flights are impacted. If they are, they give us options. If you want to put it off to another week, another month, they have waivers that allow us to do that without eating a change fee. So the only thing that we had was United Airlines real Quick was kind of gouging people because the fares out of Tampa to Chicago the last day of the airport was open American United. Excuse me, American Southwest. We're charging like four six hundred dollars like to Chicago United was over two thousands.
Speaker 1: Holy yeah, well, unleash Kamala Harris on him.
Speaker 4: We got to hit okay, but the administration didn't come out quickly saying they were going to go after airlines, and they quickly shut it down.
Speaker 2: So yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Well, Maureen pointed out, we got to worry about I guess tropical storm Nadine next on the agenda. Anyway, we'll talk about that down the road. Jay real quick Hub delays, what are we looking at today.
Speaker 5: Sir Florida is it. The rest of the country is in great shape.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Jay. I always love talking to you, having you in the morning show. Look forward to next Thursday, and as always, best to health and love to you and your better half, my friend.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it, serve with you too.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks brother forty five.
Speaker 1: If if I have Karsey Talks Station, do we need a constitutional Convention? Rob Tutt'll be talking about that at the empower Use Seminar. They'll be talking about that coming up after the break. I hope you can stick around.
Speaker 2: Ive k R C M