Speaker 1: Monster House presents.
Speaker 2: Terrible Tragedy Next Sunday Murder was just the first step. Who killed Laura bon Now the curtain's open again. From the start, you can follow the trail of clues, of crimes, of cheating hearts.
Speaker 3: Can't let me in on whatever the hell is going on.
Speaker 2: Here, Sheriff. We've had a lot to talk about.
Speaker 4: For the first peak or the second exposure in You.
Speaker 2: Spot the Killer, everyone will be talking about it.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 5: A giant, hairy creature in Part A Part Matt in Larkness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, if the creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monster Talk.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 1: It's been a while since we've had on author and researcher Jerry Drake, but he's back, so check the show notes for links to previous visits where we talked about ghost lides and grimoires and all sorts of fun stuff. But today we're going to be talking about murder. Specifically, we're going to be talking about Jerry's new book, Hazel was a good girl solving the murder that inspired Twin Peaks. So, if you're a true crime fan, or a Twin Peaks fan, or a Monster Talk fan who occasionally dips their toes into either, you're going to enjoy this interview and you'll doubtless enjoy Jerry's book with David Lynch is passing earlier this year. It's a little bittersweet to be talking about Twin Peaks, but it's definitely a bit of American culture that changed the way we watch television and what we come to expect from a series. Americas were glued to their sets wondering who had killed Laura Palmer and finding out the answer only made things weirder. So grab your log Hydra Diary, and get a cup of damn fine coffee and let's get to some morangetutor.
Speaker 3: So, Jerry, we've invited you want to talk about your forthcoming book. It's going to come out in about a month now, I believe, June tenth. June tenth. Yeah, So Hazel was a good girl solving the murder that inspired Twin Peaks. So, yeah, you've been talking about this with us for quite some times. It's really exciting that you've gotten to this stage. And yeah, we want to hear about how you became interested or rather drawn into, as you've said, the case of Hazel drew.
Speaker 6: You know, I it's interesting Hazel. Hazel was the girl that inspired Mark Frost to write the original screenplay for Twin Peaks. Everybody knows David Lynch, but what fans of that show didn't realize is that Mark Frost is the guy that actually wrote most of the canonical episodes, the ones that he and Lynch wrote worked on, and he also wrote the sideline war material. There are a couple of books that came out in conjunction with Twin Peaks to Return, which I think today might be the eighth anniversary of that show premiering. So Mark Frost is really the guy who who was behind the story of Twin Peaks, with Lynch being the tour that put it on screen and then kind of modified it. You know, his process is to film what he films and it happens. You know, he invented the character of Killer Bob because of a shot that went wrong, and all this stuff like it's there's you could write a whole book about Twin Peaks, and there's probably a bunch out there.
Speaker 4: But at the heart of it.
Speaker 6: In upstate New York, there's a town called Troy that's immediately it's on the east side of the Hudson across from Albany, which is the capital, and it sits at the bottom of the Taconic Mountains. There's a big hill in the middle of Troy, which they unimaginably called the Hill and on top of his polytechnic University, and Rensler is the oldest polytechnic in the world. It was founded by one of the descendants of Killian van Rensseler, who was the last great patroon of Old New York. When you study New York history, he's the last land baron in the area. He was on the Dutchyst India Company board and was a pearl merchant and had a million acres of land. And there's a little piece of land called Slider's Corners near a place called Sand Lake where this girl was found face down in a little mill pond about seven days after she was killed in July of nineteen oh eight. Her name was Hazel Drew and her murder for some reason became international news for that month. It was twenty three days. It was in all the major papers, even in the German and Australian press later that August, all around the world. And it followed up on probably one of the most famous solved murders in American history, which was the death of Billy Brown, who was killed by Chester Gillette. In fact, Chester was executed by Edison's electric chair right about the time Hazel's body was being found, and so a lot of people thought this was going to be the next big pretty white girl murder. And they sent a guy up from New York names named Clements. Will Clements, who styled himself as the Srilock Holmes of America. He was very modest, and he claimed all these outrageous things, and there's a little there's a couple chapters about Clemens the book where he kind of makes himself out to be this great criminologist and he solves the murder.
Speaker 4: He didn't.
Speaker 6: He got sued actually for libel and lost his suspects suited him for libel, and he invented really the character of Laura Palmer with that story. A wrong woman living a double life who got killed by a lover. It turns out none of that stuff was true, and that's what really got me interested in the story is that, you know, I'm I mean, at the end of the day, you know, my professional area of study is nineteenth century history and labor history. I mean, that's what I did all my work in college on you know, long before when I was ever in the government. You know, that's what I was primarily interested in. So I was like, well, you know, I'm fascinated by Troy, a factory town. You know, this is giving me something to really read about. And you know, I was in bed COVID hadn't happen yet. I had the flu in a friend of mine who was moving to Troy. There publishers. In fact, you know, full disclosure that the people that are publishing this book. I decided to let them have it since they were involved in the in the adventure. They were moving from New Hampshire to Troy to kind of set up their business, you know, business blowing up blah blah blah. And my friend texted me and said something about this dream that she had about finding this book in a cafe or a library. We tell the story in there, and it was called the absence of memory, and I, while suffering from.
Speaker 4: A fever, dreamed about the same book.
Speaker 6: And I opened it up, and in the front of the book, you know, on a stack of Bibles of atheist I'll swear on a stack of Bibles. But I saw this person's name, Hazel, I drew in the dream, and I wrote it down and I texted it to my friend and it turned out she's a real person, and she was murdered and the girl who inspired Twin Peaks. Now I will quickly put on my skeptics hat and say, you know, I watched Twin Peaks in high school, and I watched the return, and it's entirely possible.
Speaker 4: I knew all that right, And I was triggered.
Speaker 6: My subconscious was triggered by my friend moving to this town that I already had an interest in. You know, I would love to teach at Rensseler whenever I retire rentally or as they pronounce it. So I probably already knew all this stuff. But that's how I got interested in the story. It's great story, So I told the story as it happened.
Speaker 3: That's a good story.
Speaker 1: That kind of experience, though, even even if you have an explanation for it. It's still it still feels liminal. You still feel the weirdest.
Speaker 6: The whole thing is, the whole thing is liminal. And I put my tongue right right deep in my cheek and rode with it because it's a great story. You know, sometimes you see Bigfoot and sometimes Bigfoot sees you, right.
Speaker 4: So I started digging into it.
Speaker 6: And then COVID at my friend and I were down in San Antonio for AWP.
Speaker 4: I was thinking about doing something on some stuff.
Speaker 6: We talked about, you know, doing a casebook of you know, all the cases I'd worked on and something fun like that, and we really started talking about Hazel and she's like, to.
Speaker 4: You want to dig into this?
Speaker 6: And then we were in San Antonio when COVID lockdown started. In fact, I got the last flat out of town I could get back to DC before the lockdown happened. And I was like, I'm working on it and I was interested in And then I got COVID and I was home for two three weeks and they never let me come back to work. We had shut down, so I was in my house teleworking all day. I was locked in this smaller house a small, you know, little bitty row house in York, Pennsylvania, with all my occult books waiting on Blake Smith that ask me to send him a book so i'd have something to do, right, you know, and you know that kind of thing. And I was like, well, I'm just going to dig into this. I've got ancestry, I've got newspapers, dot com. I'm going to dig into it. And the more and more I dug into it, the more clues I found that other people who had looked into it hadn't found. And then whenever I got stir crazy, you know, I realized my friend and I were the last people who had had sort of public contact with each other.
Speaker 4: So we arranged a visit.
Speaker 6: I booked time at the libraries, you know, went in and kind of under you know, Cloak and Dagger was able to get some time research time in the libraries. They were just as bored as I was, so they gave me full run of the New York State Library and you know, the Troy Public Library, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And by the end of.
Speaker 6: It, you know, I not only had a person who I think is the suspect, and some new clues. You know, even if my guy didn't do it. The fact that he was so heavily looked over and such an obvious suspect, you know, means that there was there was more going on than than what people at the time seem to let on. So, you know, I think a person in her home did it, a person who was obviously a very likely suspect, like the police, This would be the first person police would investigate today. And the fact this guy was ignored satistically, statistically makes no sense unless you explore the political connections and things like that that I lay out in the book.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's in talking about Mark Fraut. You reminded me that like Mark Frost, super influential on Twin Peaks, Mark Snow did the music for the X Files.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, what's up with.
Speaker 1: These cold marks? I don't know, man, a little weird, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, And I mean, I mean, you remember that time, like Twin Peaks and the X Files. Oh my god, that was the best time to be.
Speaker 1: All I have such you know, as you talk about in the book, you went to a bowling alley to watch this, and I had to go to my best friend Mike's house because my parents were, it was all shut down for me. And so his mom has passed away, but she was such a glorious influence on me and I just I loved the fact she'd let us watch these shows, and she loves talking about Twin Peaks, and she wasn't as into the X Files, but she loved the fact that we got to hang out and talk about it together. It was great, but not quite a serious question, but at what point during this research did you realize you had become a hazel nut?
Speaker 6: I mean tonight, this was the first time I've heard that joke. And you know, I'll do this that it's it's it's it's going in something. I mean, yeah, it's going on a website when we get it fired.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Here's my serious question though, So part of this this case, you know, and you would have to do this narratively anyway to tell a story, but I think you make the point that it matters a little bit more in this case. The setting, Yeah, the where it happened, the when it happened, These factors matter in your investigation. Can you talk a little bit about when the story took place and where and what was going on there at the time.
Speaker 6: So it's it's nineteen oh eight, it's upstate New York. New York is in a you know, we think of New York as this you know kind of you know, the number one population in that area today or of Italian descent. At that time, it was primarily Irish Methodists that control the politics of the area, and New York was transitioning from the old Lincoln Republican part to the new Theodore Roosevelt Republican Party, the Progressive Party, and the political machine was shifting in that area from a kind of corrupt machine politician politics to Theodore Roosevelt's more clean cut progressive politics and what would eventually become the Democratic Party under Franklin Roosevelt a few years later. There was also a shift in local hegemony. The Irish aristocrats that ruled the area and controlled all the political offices in upstate were being starting to be pushed out by an incoming Italian population that we're moving up from New York. So it's a hegemonic shift. The middle classes, we knew it didn't exist then, but Hazel would be considered a part of the professional middle class at that time. She was a governess and a live in housekeeper in the wealthiest homes in Troy, New York, and all of her bosses were politically connected to this Irish Methodist Republican political machine. And her aunt had worked in some of the wealthiest houses and at the hotel where all these guys kind of hung out sort of gangster style, and probably got her her jobs. So she was not a scullery maid or somebody doing, you know, scrubbing out shoes. She was a young, you know, good looking lady, twenty years old when she died. She'd been working in these houses since she was fourteen. She was literate, very literate. In fact, she read a lot, She wore glasses, she took care of her teeth, she had had some advanced dental surgery. Her parents lived in a big house on Fourth Street, even though they were working class people. So these were you know, these were not four people. They were not disadvantaged people, but they were, you know, members of the local establishment. Her aunt marries into this political elite after Hazelis is killed and leaves the legacy behind. So they're what we would consider today sort of like the equivalent of a of an oiled field services worker in Houston. You know, somebody who's got a high school education but makes a you know, a low six figure salary by having a specialized job.
Speaker 4: You know, that's my family, right.
Speaker 6: You know, none went to school, but they all made a damn good living laying pipe and working in the oil fields. That's what Hazel was. So when she got killed, I mean, this was killing one of the local elite. There were a lot of murders that year, but they weren't pretty white Irish Methodist girls, so the city got nervous about it. Also, She's found killed about eight miles from her house out at Teal Pond, on the land of a guy named Farmer Conrad Teal. They called him Coonteal. He was a local descendant of the of the Dutch aristocrats that lived there. I believe the farm is still in the family down to this present day. And it was right across the street from where her uncle, William Taylor, her mother's brother, was living. So Hazel spent her last sort of dollar two three dollars after she was fired or left or quit her employer's house a guy named Professor Carey, who was a teacher at Renseleer, an engineering professor there. She leaves his home and is found dead a week later in this pond across the street from her from her uncle's house. Some witnesses had seen her at the local train station. She said she was going down to New York or down the river, which meant New York.
Speaker 4: In those days.
Speaker 6: She may have gone to Albany. I think she stayed on a riverboat. I found some evidence that she may have spent the night on a riverboat, which would have been a way that a woman could travel in those days without having to have a chaperone to book her into a hotel. She's found dead. There's no public transportation to get you right up to that pond. Anybody that did the murder would have had to have been seen, or they would have had have known the area and been able to sneak in an automobile. There were a lot of people traveling that area that night. So a huge chunk of the book is an attempt to set the stage and to meticulously recreate all that witness testimony. And a few people have looked into this case. I'm the only one that's ever done that like that just took that took over a year to do, to go through all those hundreds of newspaper articles and go, oh, this person said they were here at this time and the moon set at this time, you know, and this person said they saw that person.
Speaker 4: So we reconstruct that timeline.
Speaker 6: My wife helped me do that, you know, sitting around the kitchen table, you know, to find out exactly how the movements up and down that road happened that night.
Speaker 1: It's cool, though, that's good detective work. Yeah, I mean, oh, it's really good work. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's how you saw the case like this, and it just took a lot of work. But I think it eliminated some of the other suspects from them because it's somebody that had to be in an audio mobile. Tire tracks were witnessed. Cars of Henry Ford's model T doesn't come onto the market until November of that year. This is July, so cars were still rich people's stuff in New York at those days. So it really gives us an understanding of who the suspects would be.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to go back to an earlier part of the book, paranormal lack experiences that you had that you wrote about in this book, and you've already spoken about the dreams, but your cemetary experience. I think that that was really fun the way you document that as part of your hands on research.
Speaker 6: So you know that was not any original draft of the book. I didn't put it in there because I didn't want to seem crazy. And I took photos. Hazel took photos after it happened, and I thought about it and I thought about it, and I wrote the original draft of the book. I think that story doesn't get in until about draft five or six. The original book was one hundred and sixty thousand words long. So all that came out, and in a cold winter day here in New in DC, right before.
Speaker 1: Would you say, a crosty days mark.
Speaker 6: Trusty day with a lot of the with a lot of this stuff going, she called me up and said, you gotta, you gotta put the cemetery story back in there. You gotta do it. People want to read it. It happened, It's interesting, so put it in there. So I put it in and it did happen to heaven. Just liked that it was cold. It was impossibly cold, and I had on some north faced boots that I had not taken out of the closet in years, and they fell apart, so my feet were wet. And we went up to that weird old tree and she was freaking out and there's no there's about a foot snow on the ground, there's no snow under the tree. She was acting tweakerl word. Puts her hand on this tree and starts freaking out. And I put my hand on that damn tree, and again this could be you know, I I know I don't have a cardiac problem because I've gone to the cardiologist since then, and my vegetarian diets served me well. But I got sick. I got violently said. I went down that hill. I thought I was having a heart attack. I thought I would not be able to drive my car back. I got one of those weird BMW's that you have to have magic powers to drive. So I'm like, my friend's not gonna be able to drive us out here. We're gonna die out here in a snowstorm. And I threw up and it fell on the ground and we were out looking for Hazel's grave. We couldn't find it. It was too cold. It was stupid for us to even try to go out there in the snow because it's bone white and the snow is bone white, and I fell over. I fell on the ground, and when I stood up and looked down, I was on top of her tombstone. And it happened exactly like that. You can even see in the pictures, my stumbling feet coming down the hill, and instead of going straight to my car where I was headed, I took a right lost my balance, went down on the ground, beat full of snow and muck, and looked up and I see on top of this grave, it says Hazel. And I'm like, oh man, you found it.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you said that. We've had you know, we get iTunes reviews and some of them were some of them, some of them are awesome. There's lots of great five star reviews, which is wonderful. Occasionally we'll get like a one star reviewer. It's like the host reject all paranormal. You know, how could you live your life like this? And it's like, no, it's not really like that. Honestly, the lived experience of being a human is even if you rationalize, if you can come up with an explanation of everything, you still have the emotional surprise, the heartfelt experiences. I mean, we're just because we try to put an explanation of things, doesn't mean we don't have these magical moments, right, And I think it's really it's really powerful when you have these these kind of moments, because you know, even if you could say it's statistics, or it's it's a coincidence, or any any number of rational explanations, doesn't matter. You lived this weird moment where suddenly it felt like the universe was lining up. We're gonna be talking a little bit about that in the upcoming thing we're doing on the Psychedelics. It's like, it's just, yeah, it's something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had some of that long time ago. That's going in another book. But I lived by this out of control musoming. I live by this motto that is uh w W j D what would Joe do?
Speaker 6: And by Joe Joe Nickel, you know he's pastor, but you know a guy I had a long relationship with and just love dearly.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, the master skeptic. You know, he didn't think people were diluted. He took experiences at face value, and more than anything else, he went into the field and did research, and you that changes every experience you have. It really does you know I I am a witness in this story, not the investigator. So I'm not going to tell you what I think happened because I don't know what happened. I would need a Joe Nichol to come in and say, well, Jerry, you know, you were, you know, going through a midlife crisis in a time of heightened and you've done all this research and you've seen a million photographs of this cemetery. So of course Carl Jung kicked in and you know, blah blah blah. Okay, I buy it. You know, I'm not a believer. I buy it. But I wrote the story not trying to explain that, which is again, that's probably what happened, but from the experience that I had, and that's what makes it interesting. That's I mean, you know, I'm an anthropologist by training. It gets the lived experience versus the explanation, and I'm solving the murder. I break a lot of true crime rules in this book. If you're bored by true crime, you'll like this one. I put myself in the story, which is apparently a no no in true crime, and it's written as a casebook and an adventure and I liked it that way. So you're getting the story from my perspective, not from a god godlike investigator that's off the state.
Speaker 1: At the time time of the crime, people had a story they wanted to tell about what kind of person Hazel was. Yeah, journalism and journalism, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: I mean that.
Speaker 1: But we faithfully we live in an enlightened age now where that never.
Speaker 4: That never happens.
Speaker 6: Actually, I think that's why this book has a lot of relevance, because we're in that same media environment. Yeah, there's a case going on right now, this care this poor woman, there's a podcast about it, who may have run over and killed her her boyfriend who's a cop, and she's been that's hot.
Speaker 1: That's a hot topic right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's like, you can't you don't know what's real. You exactly, I'm confused. You don't know what's real and uh. And that's the same environment we're dealing with in Hazel's day.
Speaker 1: But you've got the advantage of you've got the passage of time, right, and time cools off the hot media and you can actually go back and sort of figure out what's really going on. You can look at more evidence based approaches. So what kind of person did people say Hazel was and what kind of person did you uncover in your research?
Speaker 6: So so they say she was a duplicitous woman, a manipulator, a quote unquote horror, that quote gets knocked around, a person who was on the make, you know, trying to get in with men to get money in favors. I'm not a prostitute, because prostitution was more or less accepted in Troy at that time. Main Faith, America's most famous nineteenth century prostitute was in Troy about three blocks away from the police station. So, you know, legitimate I'm going to give you money for sex work was acceptable in Troy. So Hazel wasn't doing that. But they accused her of being, you know, what they would call a good time girl, somebody who traded favors maybe sex for.
Speaker 4: Money and.
Speaker 6: You know, dinner's out, that kind of stuff, And that was a common person. There was a woman in town named Handla Bell who was doing that, you know, and she gets tangled up in this story by giving Hazel the name of somebody she could go hang out with in New York who seemed not to be interested in her. Hazel was not that she's when we start to unpack who she really was. She had a bunch of letters in her trunk that Will Clements, the guy who worked for the Pulitzer paper, the Yellow journalists said were from men and boyfriends, to the point that two of those letters were probably concocted. You know, it's generally agreed that he made one of them up. He probably made up the other because they only appear in his media. And this is a story that was covered all over the country, and other reporters didn't cover Will the story the same way Will Clements did. They They don't mention facts in their coverage that he mentions. And Clemens had a reputation for making stuff up. He made up a whole case in New York a couple of years before this that ended up. I can't remember if he got sued or got beat up or something bad happened to him because he was making up nonsense. So that was sort of his stock in trade. And he paid her in this one article as a woman who was he calls her coy and a coquette, and you know, he was to keep it relevant for the kids. He was kind of one of these, you know, in cel. You know, woman hating. He man types the shirt of America and he paints her, you know, in the stripes of all his weird fantasies of what a of what a fallen woman is. And I mean that was a thing. Then that's something people talked about. It was in the moral conversation. It was driving the push for prohibition. You know, this is at a time when people are starting to do prohibition pushes and all that kind of stuff. But Hazel wasn't that. She was actually a young woman who read a lot. In her last job, she ends up working in a professor's house, and when people came to see her, they said she was usually sitting on a couch reading. The letters in her trunk were actually not from uh lurid men. They were from doctors. Her adult letters in her trunk. She was she had something wrong with her health. She was seeking medical advice. So all these trips that you know, I'm actually the first person to publish this clue. It's not in any other stuff. So this is good stuff. All these trips she was taking supposedly to get in with men, she was actually going to get seek medical advice. And most of the letters in her trunk were either from friends or they were juvenilia. They were letters, childhood letters that she had received and hung on to from people she knew, because I don't forget she was twenty, you know, so a lot of the French that she had made she had made when she was a kid, and a couple of them were still kids. Was seventeen, eighteen years old, you know.
Speaker 1: So does that make her she's doing extensive correspondence about medical issues, Yeah, to make her some kind of typeochondria actively, I.
Speaker 4: Mean it's possible.
Speaker 6: I mean, she spent way more money on her teeth than a person of her station would spend.
Speaker 4: She'd already have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: She had a pair of handground glasses. Now you know, these.
Speaker 4: Set me back two hundred fifty bucks from you know, for the losers.
Speaker 1: He's holding his glasses.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I'm sorry, Yeah, I'm holding up my glasses from Warby Parker sponsorship. Two hundred and fifty bucks. But a set of handmade glasses, like in the old days, you went in and you tried on glasses, like reading glasses, until you got something that kind of worked. But she had a set of glasses made and and you know, gold rimmed Cotney pencenose glasses, handmade. I think I ran the numbers for it was like a like twelve hundred dollars in modern money, Like this is not something a housekeeper spent their money on. So she was unusually obsessed with her health. She had been really sick with the grip earlier in the year before she died. The grip is a particularly pernicious flu. Spanish flu hadn't happened yet. The flu was bad that year. And also this is when typhoid. Mary was, you know, one hundred and fifty miles away in New York, so people were terrified of typhoid, and the early stages of typhoid and flu are very very similar. So Hazel quarantines herself around Christmas of nineteen oh seven, and Clemens of course, thought she was pregnant and had an abortion. And that's the story that he tells, and that goes that falls into the lore right down to the present day. You listen to a podcast about this thing, and that's the story they're going to tell.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a very easy story to help you know. Yeah, that makes great sense. There's your motive, you know all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's sensationalist. That's exactly people want to hear.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure the autopsy bore that out right.
Speaker 6: The autopsy was done by three doctors. I mean, this is kind of serious. The autopsy was done by three doctors. And I actually pulled some medical books to see you can tell if somebody had been pregnant or had an abortion in nineteen oh eight, and oh yeah, the doctor said no, she had not had an abortion. There was also no no evidence of sexual contact, so she wasn't raped when she was killed. In fact, she had no marks on her other than the contusion at the back of her head. And I'm holding my hand up at a kind of about a ninety degree agle. She she had a contusion on the back of her head that didn't break the skin. So my theory is is that she wasn't murdered. Most people assumed she was clobbered over the head with a stick or hit with a club or a rock. But she was five feet tall, so you know, to hit her like that, she'd have to be leaning over and it would have busted her head open. I think she was wearing a whalebone corset. I think someone she got into an argument and her killer shoved her. And it's super rocky out by teal pond. You know you're going to fall down out there in good boots on a warm on any on a given day, she was out there in the middle of the night. I think somebody shoved her. With that corset on, she wouldn't have been able to bend her body forward to guard her head, and I think she just went straight back. And one of the clues I found that's unique to my book is that they found her glasses. A couple of reporters were out walking around and they found her her glasses laying by a rock. So you know Pensne's glasses. If you don't know what they look like, you know, think of you know, the old cartoon. I'm trying to at the Monopoly Man. This is in the in the in another universe, he wears glasses. I don't know what their glasses without rems and they just sort of sit on your nose. And in the old days, people really liked them because they they didn't look louse. This was before contacts. They didn't really look like you were wearing glasses. So if you're really concerned about your looks, you could wear these glasses and have a lower profile. And Hazel wore those things for the last two years of her life all day long, so you know, she was clearly wearing her glasses when she got clobbered. And what I think happened is that there was an argument, she got shoved, she couldn't adjust her footing. She was wearing city boots, so that would have been a flat fronted book boot with a little two inch heel, and her feet went out from under her. She hit this rock, uh, and it caused a contusion that stops her heart, and the autopsy discovered that. But the hit was so gentle that it didn't even break the skin. And this is super common amongst people that ski. This was not an assassination. This was probably a quarrel.
Speaker 3: I think you do such a marvelous job of honoring her her name and her name as well just as a woman. It's very important to me that he did this. And I think it's interesting when you talk about her being a good time girl, and it just makes me think of the Flappers a couple of centuries on. You know, so not a whore, not someone like that, not a sex worker, but someone who just likes having a good time.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you saying that, because that was a part of this story that really concerned me. It is hard to write this kind of history as a white man, ye without setting a lot of context.
Speaker 4: The Long Book.
Speaker 6: Told this story in detail and set a lot of context. And now people just have to just kind of understand that the Gilded Age, you know, before women's liberation, before women could vote, had a whole different way of approaching attitudes. And I took a lot of this from like my grandmother's story, my my grandma grandma.
Speaker 4: I never called her grandmother grandma.
Speaker 6: My my mimi. My mom's mom ran away from home when she was, you know, fourteen, fifteen years old, and she joined the Works Progress Administration PA WPA, and she was ballet dancer, and she ended up out in San Francisco and she danced with this girl named Edith something I can't remember he name is. She was from New York City, and they realized they could make more money just going out with dudes at night and just doing stuff, and she ended up being an.
Speaker 4: Adult dancer, you know a few years later.
Speaker 6: You know, that was that was something people in my own family did and you know, I come from the same socioeconomic background as Hazel. You and I in the first college grad you know, and that kind of stuff. So you know, my my grandmother did that. And she was a nice lady and went to church, you know, and the whole thing. But she was a good time girl back in the back in the late twenties and early thirties, because that's how you could.
Speaker 1: Get everybody's got to eat.
Speaker 6: Everybody's got to eat, you know. And I think Hazel had a real strong interest in going to New York City. She loved to travel. She had gone down there Memorial Day, you know, the anniversary of that trips coming up next weekend, what they called Dedication Day back then, I believe, and she left to party. And she spent all of her money on partying. Because when you were a housekeeper, you got three hots and a cot, you got you got food, you got clothing. You know, you got us and you made it a pretty damn good salary because you were in charge of the people's kids. So you know, it was a great job for somebody who liked to hang out, and that's what she was doing. It was innocent fun, it was girl stuff. It was not, you know, and you know, she had some tight relationships with some of her girlfriends. She seemed not to be interested in having a out of male relationships, especially according to her brother. So she was just having a good time and it seems like she must have got in with somebody who who who got a little carried away?
Speaker 1: Well no, I know that some of our listeners would be like, wait, this is not a true crime podcast, right, So we're monster talk. We talk about weird stuff and monsters.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: So there was a spiritualist element to this case. So what was the involvement of psychics astrologers?
Speaker 6: So I'm glad you're bringing that up. That's that's my favorite chapter in the book. And I would have yanked this book from publication if they made me pull it. There was a lot of that man, and that's why I wanted to come on to your your show and wanted to other than I just love you guys, and like.
Speaker 1: To quote Terry Guard, the feeling is mutual.
Speaker 4: Yes, So but no, there was weird stuff that happened.
Speaker 6: There's a point where the DA says, I keep getting all these tips and finally the press are like.
Speaker 4: Come on, the guy's name is Jarvis Peel, Drivis p O'Brien.
Speaker 6: You know, you can just big mustache cigar, you know, just the classic robber baron.
Speaker 4: He really was a railroad lawyer. He was a robber baron lawyer.
Speaker 6: Finally revealed what all the letters were, and it was people having dreams about Hazel Drew and solving the case and their dreams. I don't know if Mark Frost knew that, but that's right out of how Dale Cooper gets his information in the in the TV show. So I thought that was bizarre. Yeah, And then okay, the mother talks to the several papers, the New York Times, the Gray Lady, and the New York Times. You know, maybe it's the failing New York Times today quote unquote, but it was a big effing deal in nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 4: It was the paper.
Speaker 1: This was before word ale, So this is impressive.
Speaker 6: Way before it was a gaming platform. It actually carried news and information. It was the national paper of record. And they cover this story and they say, and Hazel's mom says, I believe she was taken out by a well to do man of Troy, and he had power over my daughter. He hypnotized her, and he murdered her. Well, that's a great quote, except I turns out the guy I think killed Hazel was into hypnotism.
Speaker 1: That's funny, that's really.
Speaker 5: Because when I.
Speaker 6: Found that clue, I was like, dude, you have got to be kidding me. And sure enough, he does have a high a tie to the most famous hypnosis of the of the era was a guy named Xena Xenophon Lamont somebody, and he was a personal friend of Mussolini and was a wild dude, and my suspect had had a tangible a tie to him.
Speaker 3: I want to ask about that. I mean, do you think that this was a mother's grief or do you think, because you've alluded to towards the end, that they knew who this person was.
Speaker 4: I think Hazel's family knew who the killer was.
Speaker 6: I certainly think Hazel's aunt many knew who the killer was, because she acts like she knew who the killer was. She I tails it. She This is a lady who made it to forty years old without ever being married in nineteen oh eight.
Speaker 4: That carries spinster again.
Speaker 6: My partying grandmother's sister was a spinster aunt who had a special friend she lived with for a long time.
Speaker 1: You know, they didn't have a Subaru but a lie.
Speaker 6: But they wouldn't have I think they had a Chrysler. But she had that special friend and was a typist and you know, wore jeans when people didn't wear jeans and stuff like that. You know what I'm talking about. I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think anybody who's serious will find plenty of loved ones who had that profile. Yes, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Aunt many at at the age of forty, about six months after Hazel dies Is killed. Mary's a member of the Republican establishment, a guy who eventually made a good amount of money in the water trade in Troy. We don't think of, you know, New York for having that good, good water, but they actually do. Troy's right close to Saratoga Springs.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I actually I love New York City water, which comes from the mountains. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that's why the.
Speaker 4: Pizza is good. That's why I'm fat. You know.
Speaker 3: Well, do you think her getting married, do you think that that was a reward or do you think that it was her kind of I think it was an.
Speaker 6: Award, a reward in a way to protect herself because everybody shut up O'Brien's It kills O'Brien's political career. His failure to solve this case ends his political career, and he had a stellar political career. His brother had ties all the way to the Roosevelt's White House, so O'Brien could have gone a long way as a part of the establishment. But what he got instead of politics was an f ton of railroad money.
Speaker 4: And he and.
Speaker 6: The killer and one of the other suspects all had ties to the railroad that still runs through Tryan, Albany today, and they were just about to launch a massive, what we would call multi billion dollar project right at the time Hazel is killed. And that project happened and they all got nice, big houses and lived happily ever after. Uh So, politics be damned, you know, the railroad came through for him, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a lot of what what happened.
Speaker 6: I mean, we we think of the railroad now as this lame, slobbering, lame thing that is dying, But at that time it ruled the country. I mean, it was it was the the premier industry in the United States before before World were World War One.
Speaker 4: So they got they got their stacks.
Speaker 6: And uh and went on and lived and lived happily ever after, and many clammed up and uh and had a nice life too. She eventually had servants of her own. She never had to work a day in her life after Hazel died.
Speaker 1: But I guess one question I think readers are going to want before they buy the book is how confident are you've solved the mystery? Like do you do you have it? Do you think you are? You pretty confident here?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I don't think I'm gonna get sued.
Speaker 3: Myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: Wonder about that, like like you know when you write true chrime, and a lot of people who solve contemporary murders straight up get sued like the But this this case is over one hundred years old. I am when I'm three beers in, I am one hundred percent confident. I saw at nine o'clock in the morning, I'm about seventy five to eighty percent confident. And when you read the book, I lay this out. The reason why I'm so confident is because the clues lead to a tiny suspect pool, and there is only one suspect who meets all the criteria. He had a car, he knew the area, he could navigate his car up and down that area. He was in Hazel's house. I mean, you guys are talking about now, but I not say it captivating, interesting, well read, smart hypnotist.
Speaker 4: And they were.
Speaker 6: Going to bury Hazel across the street from his house, and the day of the murder, or the day of her funeral, they moved the grave. So that's one of the reasons why I think the family knew who did it, because you don't You're not going to marry the bury the murder victim where this guy.
Speaker 4: Nobody's going to do that.
Speaker 6: Her, even I, who am not superstitious, ain't doing that. So they moved her body to another cemetery where Hazel had no family. Her whole family's buried there now. But they were gonna they were going to bury her right across the street in the family platform where I think the murderer lived. And they changed that on the day of the on the day of the funeral. Wow, So I think they knew who did it. I think a lot of people in Troy knew who did it. And I have talked to some people in Troy who think I'm right about this. They're not going to go on the record, but they're like, yeah, you know, it makes sense. And the problem is we had just come off the Billy Brown murder, right, so a rich guy with power over the young girl kills her. The fact that my suspect was not investigated is really problematic because they weren't that dumb. I mean, the FBI was just getting started. Scotland Yard had been around, I talk a little about this, you know, the CIRTE was up and running under VIDOC and all that stuff. They knew enough about crime, and they knew enough about crime from what had just happened one hundred miles away in their state. Two of at least asked this guy some questions that the inquest.
Speaker 1: He lies.
Speaker 4: At the inquest, he tells a story different from what he had been telling the press, so he's already perjuring himself and nobody followed up. Today.
Speaker 6: This would be the guy they would take into custody first and shake down without his wife, for kids or anybody else present. Like the suspect that I think dead. It is the guy the cops would immediately arrest today. And I think even if he didn't do it, man, it's so suspect, that he was not taken into custody, that he wasn't questioned when people, the most off the wall people were questioned about this murder, just the most random dudes. And at the end O'Brien, after investigating the whole thing, at the Corner's inquest, tries to mark it down as a suicide and he can't find any of the there's three coroners who worked on it, and there's the corner stroke more strope who's doing the question, and none of them will say this was a suicide. They're all like, this is a murder. And he brings in a doctor to swear it was a suicide. And the doctor is his buddy from the railroad that the suspect and the work for. He's a railroad surgeon. He does the word suicide doesn't even appear in the book that he wrote about railroad surgery.
Speaker 4: So if that's not a.
Speaker 6: Cover up, Yahn, then it's the world's worst police investigation.
Speaker 3: I think it's an excellent theory. I think that the person that you point to is just so suspect and I picked it up on that very early on. Maybe we can talk about that later, But there was just one thing that you mentioned that that had me tweaked so right to the end. I was very satisfied when you named this person. And I think it's just so incredibly sad that she died at such a young age and this person went on to live a very long life. It's just very unfair.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that if he didn't do it, and I fingered a guy.
Speaker 3: Who did, the hell was it?
Speaker 4: Then then you.
Speaker 6: Know the guy should have at least done more right, like at least he had a responsibility from his position to have at least ponied up some of the reward. I mean, a grocery store cloak clerk put up a reward and this guy didn't.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I want to ask you, why is interest in this case enduring? And are there any living family members too?
Speaker 6: There are living family members. There are still Drews in the area. They have an ancestry page. I reached out to a couple of them, and you know, I think they're done. You know, they're not interested in this, and that's fair. You know, I got to see one of the family members showed me some pictures I'm not allowed to use, so I got to see more images of Hazel than the anybody else will ever get to see. And I'm very I got to see what many really looked like, you know, what Hazel looked like, you know, for.
Speaker 3: Real, see that one picture or the two versions of that one picture.
Speaker 6: So there is still family around there, not the Druis anymore. But you know, I hope they'll read this book and enjoy it. But this is a part of their history. I think they're kind of they're kind of finished with now. If any of Hazel's relatives are listening to this and I didn't talk to you, and you want to talk, let's do it. Because at the end of the book I talk about this. There's a little section at the end called this Isn't Over. There were over a thousand people who visited the crime scene, and there were over one hundred people who saw her body in the funeral home, and a lot of them took photographs somewhere in Troy. There are pictures. There are pictures of the crime scene, there are pictures of Hazel, and they're in addicts there. I went to a garage sale in Avril Park and bought some stuff that had clearly come out of the attic and had nothing to do with Hazel.
Speaker 4: So you know, if people.
Speaker 6: Related to Hazel, or people related to any of the folks in this book are still around want to talk or have artifacts, I hope they'll bring them because I'll do another version.
Speaker 4: I'll do a part two. I'd love to.
Speaker 1: There's this high and we've talked about briefly about Twin Peaks. Did you get a vibe on why Frost was interested in this case or why was he aware of it? And like, how did I mean? I see several elements.
Speaker 6: So the local lord, there's even there's a pick in the version of the book. You haven't seen it yet, but while I was writing this book, they actually put up a monument to Hazel right across from teals Pond, and it tells the Mark Frost story. People think Hazel haunts the place where she died. People have seen her ghosts there for years, and Mark Frost's grandmother told the story of Hazel Drew within the context of a ghost story, So she is a ghost. Plus, if you go to Troy, go to Manry's Diner, go to the woods around Teal's Pond, it's the real Twin Peaks.
Speaker 1: I mean to have damn find coffee that's.
Speaker 6: Really restaurant in Troy has damn fine coffee and they roasted and blended themselves.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 1: This was This was such a great read. And when is it coming out again?
Speaker 6: It is June tenth, and I don't know this. This may be out by the time it comes. It's Amazon, Barnes and Noble. It's going to be in stores. Please, if you like paper books, God, go to Barnes and Noble and buy it. That would make me so happy Amazon, of course. But with this kind of thing, I'd like to keep doing this.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 6: You know, I've got another case I'm working on that's never been publicized that's even weirder than this one. I won't say the name, but it's uh voodoo murder in Philadelphia. The book is going to be called Blake get Ready Hexan City.
Speaker 4: So so good.
Speaker 6: I'd like to keep doing this, but you know, I can only do this if if people buy this stuff, so i'd sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally understand. Well, wonderful job. Jerry, really loved the book, and I'm excited to see what you do next.
Speaker 1: Rite Jerry again, thank you for coming back. And it's always going to see you. And that book again is out June tenth, and check it out Guards.
Speaker 4: And Noble, all the places.
Speaker 1: Monster You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard an interview with author and investigator Jerry Drake discussing his new book, Hazel was a Good Girl, solving the murder that inspired Twin Peaks. It was fun to see how Jerry applied his work skills and amateur investigator skills to tackle this mystery. And we hope that you grab a copy when it comes out on June tenth. Links in the show notes to pre order. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 7: You know this is Excuse me a damn fine cup of coffee.
Speaker 1: This has been a Monster House presentation.