Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is eight h five here Kentucky. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty. Whas been a busy morning so far. We will talk coming up here at eight thirty with Roredyo O'Neal of NBC News to get the latest on the unrest that is still a situation, to say the least in Los Angeles, and looting is what became, i guess, an added layer to the situation in LA and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a surprise that ended up becoming a thing. That's usually what happens when you have protests, riots, whatever you want to call them. I'm sure again, what some view as a peaceful protest, some would call a riot, and vice versa. It really is just an objective thing for a lot of people. But there were, let's see, I'm sure the amount of it's tough to know the exact amount of businesses that were impacted as far as being vandalized and had items stolen, but there was an Adida store, in Apple Store, a place called Shoe Palace, different dispensaries, a pharmacy, and a jewelry store that were broken into, damaged and of course, had a lot of things stolen, buildings and police vehicles were defaced with graffiti across the ten block radius in LA So it sounds like thats the latest is that that has come to an end for the time being. And again that's just one of the many things that comes with these type of situations getting to this point where it's gone on many days, and I just I think it's gonna get at least a little worse before he gets better. But maybe maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to Roy O'Neil of NBC News coming up at eight thirty. As far as the protests that have gone on here in Louisville the last couple of days, for the most part, it seems like those have been very peaceful, not been an issue. Mayor Greenberg dig talk yesterday and emphasized that he is confident that the peaceful protests here in this city won't hit any level of what we've seen elsewhere. But here were his comments on that when he talked yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 3: I will not tolerate LMPD, will not tolerate damage to property, We will not tolerate risk and danger to others, and so that we don't expect to occur here, and so we will continue to move forward with lmpd's focus on preventing and responding to violent crime.
Speaker 1: So I just think whenever you see the looting, that's actually been a conversation we've had throughout the morning here the looting. I think, if you're somebody that is trying to make a change, take a stand, and that's the way you go about it, I just have a hard time believing that that that just doesn't add up at all. I think what you have is you have people who are really going about it in a peaceful way and not being violent at all, and even at times encouraging others to follow that exact same approach. Then you have others who might mean well, but they can't control themselves. They get the urge to maybe do it in a violent way. And then I think you have looters who see just how heated the situation is in certain cities where you have protests like this going on, and they look at it as the jackpot, the opportunity to go in and just you know, start damaging everything in sight and stealing anything inside of value. And it's a lot when you see it happening in your city. And again I'm not from LA, but it took me back to watching and again to the extent of what's going on in LA. It's probably not what we had here. I don't know, Maybe I'm wrong. It was a long time ago, and I really wouldn't know the exact extent, but watching the live coverage of the looting happening in downtown Louisville in twenty twenty, I mean, it was a feeling. I didn't really know how to describe it, and I didn't really know where it was coming from. But I think Scott said the word earlier that really resonated with me is I think you feel violated.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I don't own the city of Louisville, but I live here. This is my home. This is where I was raised, is where I raised my family. And when you have that kind of stuff going on, you just feel like you're being violated. It's not a good feeling at all.
Speaker 4: No, and then it gets the bad press. So folks that want to come it doesn't help anyone because one the business owners obviously, then the employees that work at the business, this is their livelihood. They're going to be out of work for a while, and then when it gets on TV, like with the Brown and Taylor riots, you know, maybe conventions we're planning on coming in town, and that just takes money out of everybody's pocket. And I'd just be interested to catch up with some of these looters maybe five years down the road, five seven years down the road, and say, what did that really get you? So you stole an iPhone? First of all, you couldn't activate it. So did you sell it on the black market? Did it get you a couple bucks?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's got to be black market. And maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just assume these people aren't aren't people that give a you know what about what it's being protested. They just see it as an opportunity. It could be a Netflix series, right, a documentary series tracking down these people who, you know, maybe maybe they'll talk and tell us how it all works. If they can keep their faces hidden, because that's what they do. They have masks on you can't see them. So yep, yeah, again, we'll talk to Rory O'Neil about this coming up around eight thirty And if you've yet to hear the reaction from Kentucky fans, on the decision from the big Dog as they call him, Vince Merrow, leaving his position at Kentucky to join the rival. We'll let you hear that. On the other side, we've also got more sports coming up with Scott, but first an update on traffic and weather right here on news Radio eight forty whas. It is eight sixteen here at news Radio eight forty whas. Thank you guys for hanging out with us here this morning, getting your Wednesday started. Maybe it's already, maybe it started long ago, but either way, we appreciate you being with us. We've got sports coming your way with Scott Fitzgerald in about eight minutes, but real quickly. There's going to be some changes coming to the college basketball world where you can now have coaches challenge specific calls at any point in the game if they have a time out available. So this is pretty big. Each team in college basketball is going to get one challenge per game, with a second challenge granted at the first one is successful. This is similar to the NBA's one plus one system, and the reviewable calls will be out of bounds violations, basket interference or goaltending, whether a secondary defender was legally positioned in the restricted arc, so you can't review everything, but those are certainly very much judgment calls and they have the ability to go to the monitor and get it right. So challenges will now be a thing in college hoops. And then also they're making a slight change to the continuation rule, basically going with the NBA. They've kind of already done that in a way in college hoops to where it becomes very much just the judgment of the official. But the continuation is not supposed to be a thing in college hoops. Before now it was just if you're fouled in the active shooting, you take free throws, where now they're going to just let it be if you were you know, if you were in the process of getting up a shot, you're in motion to get a layup or whatever it may be. Even if you have to take an extra step after getting fouled, they're going to give you. They're going to give you the bucket if you make it, or of course just say that it is a shooting foul. So, uh, those those are some pretty big changes, especially the challenge. That's that's that's a thing, and a lot of a lot of sports at college and pro levels, and obviously in college hoops they can certainly certainly benefit from it.
Speaker 4: Is it just me? Or did at least I thought while I was watching college basketball this year, more games once they got inside two minutes were constantly being stopped for reviews.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was a huge issue with college hoops. I mean, it's there's a fine line, and this is tough to balance. You do you want to knowingly, I guess, impact the product in a negative way as far as the experience or do you know and by doing that, just know that you are you're going to make sure you get it right. Yep. So because where I think the fine line is if you know you have the ability to utilize technology and go see if you get it right under two minutes, then you're going to do that. But you also it has become a real turn off for people that aren't invested in the sport of college hoops.
Speaker 4: So well, it's not if you're waiting for the next game, yeah to come on. That happened to me a lot this year and it was just kept going forever forever.
Speaker 1: All right. So, if you haven't heard this yet, this is a This is about about a minute long clip of callers yesterday to KSR expressing their anger and disappointment in Vince Marrow, their beloved assistant coach, the big Dog as they call him, who decided to take another job. But he took another job at Louisville. That's not just any other job. As I'm sure you are well aware. If you are someone on either side of this rivalry, you went ahead.
Speaker 2: And soldier Sola here too early.
Speaker 5: I'm done with big fan of you events, but not if you go to an inferior institution.
Speaker 2: El's down, little Dog, el's down our event. I'm glad you're listing because when you throw the l's up, I hope to God your hand cramp. I hope that you know when you go do the karaoke of simple Man in acc all six of their fans at the ACCY tournament, all six of their fans are gonna love it. Okay, But at the end of the day, you are not a big dog anymore. You are no more than a toy poodle. And I hope you stub your toe you have your press conference. I think this probably that is low life patrol move. As the coach could do, he went to Louisville. I would we get a chance to run it down his throat, run a red sideline.
Speaker 5: I don't care if you get a penalty, throw the helt down in his.
Speaker 6: He is now the enemy.
Speaker 5: I don't wear red shirts.
Speaker 2: I won't even wear red underwear. Coachmorrow Man, I used to love, and now I despise.
Speaker 5: You're trader. You have to betrayed the UK UK fans. Vince Merrill, the dirty bird finger and the l's down shall now be the official Vince Merrill greeting. He did that to UK football, UK Athletics and now BBN don't go to the loser bill down the road.
Speaker 1: So I didn't want to share that with you guys to pile on, because I get it. If I was a Kentucky fan, i'd probably feel the same way to an extent. But this, the fact that he's leaving, wouldn't be anything close to the level of a story that it is if it was anywhere else other than Louisville. This is just a reminder of the rivalry and what it is around here, and you don't see it often. There have been very few that have made a jump from one to the other, especially directly right like you've had. Patino went to the Celtics and then went to Louisville, which of course is still I'm sure I think Kentucky fans, many many years later is still stunned that it happened. But it happened. But yeah, not something you see very often. All Right, We've got another update at Traffick and weather coming your way. Also another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald and then Roy O'Neil's going to stop by at eight thirty right here on News Radio eight forty whas. It is a forty seven here at Kentucky and it's morning news on News Radio eight forty whas about to hand it off to the fellas Tony Venetti and Dwight Whitten who have made their way here into studio, and we were talking fake IDs. They're cracking down on folks that are not following the rules and do what you're supposed to do if you serve serve alcohol, and as you heard Brad Silvia say in our latest newscast that if you are serving alcohol to minors, then you no longer are of have a right to have a liquor license and serve alcohol, which makes total sense, but fake IDs, there's still clearly a thing I want would assume. But what I think a lot of young people who use a fake i D don't realize, which I would never although I did admit to it earlier that I did have one, but I didn't have a fake identification card. I had a real identification card. It just wasn't me statues. Okay, good, thank you, so so. But but if you actually have a fake i D where somebody has has manufactured something that's not a state issued i D, I think you're a lot of a lot of people just the fears they might take it from me and I'll be I'll have the walk of shame.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I got kicked out and I paid money and it didn't work. But you could also be that's a that's a bigger charge. Like if you're going to get held, if the police want to make an example of you, they have a much better way there, but the punishment will be much more severe for you. If you have a fake ID that somebody manufactured somebody's.
Speaker 6: That might be federal.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 6: My first fake i D was there's a street in south of Louisville.
Speaker 1: Collte hypothetically speaking, right.
Speaker 6: This happened. It was on hot Rod Haven, the apartments there, and so I went down the basement apartment. There's a giant picture of a license sitting on the wall. I stand in front of that.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you guys take a picture.
Speaker 6: And then they laminated it by the bing Boy to Boom. I was Todd Kraft, twenty one years old.
Speaker 1: Todd Craft.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was by the Todd Craft, but that was my name.
Speaker 1: Did it work though?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: It worked because that was we were the first generation that had to start doing that because mostly in the sixties and seventies, bars and liquor stores didn't care if you had a little bit of a five o'clock shadow. They're going to sell you beer or a booze or get into a bar. And then all of a sudden mad came around and people started cracking down and the ABC started busting bars for a serving underage. But they were still plenty of bars that let you in in the nineteen nineties and it was notoriously the college hangout in a different world.
Speaker 1: There's a video that has made its rounds. It's a it's a newscast from gotta be the eighties, but it's it's in I believe, out of Lexington, and they're getting they're getting citizens reaction to the rule where you can no longer drink. They're going to really enforce it to where you can't drink while driving. And there's this guy, blue collar guy, and he's like, I think it's I think it's ridiculous. What God can't have a couple beers on his way home from work? And I'm like, what what?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 1: Time?
Speaker 7: No, that was Look and we just had the prosecutor for the bus crash on Paul Ridgewalski. You understand that there were protests every single day that they went to the courthouse because the people in Courton were like or Cordon carold Carrollton. Uh, we're saying, oh, he's just a good old boy. He had too many to drink. I mean you shouldn't prosecute him with all those deaths. I mean they were protesting. It was crazy, but it was a different age and it needed to happen. And sure did my kids generation joke about drinking and driving. Ironically as they're like, hey, we're gonna drink and drive as it's funny, they would never ever get in the car and drink. I mean, at least my kids and their friends.
Speaker 1: I mean it's I mean, it happens. But I'm a lot younger than you. Uh so by the time, by the time, by the time, alcohol was something that was around whenever I was a teenager, I mean not to be goody two shoes, but I mean we felt dangerous enough by sneaking a beer or something. When it comes to doing anything while driving. There was just there was enough fear that had been instilled. And I think my generation, where most wouldn't, our parents got our lines for us. You understand that, right, our parents.
Speaker 7: At my graduation in nineteen eighty seven, there was ten cases of beer and a bunch they my parents bought the booze for my graduation party.
Speaker 1: I was eighteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mine never did that, but lots of my friends would.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first time alcohol was around at a social gathering was I think I was in like eighth grade and somebody brought and that somebody was me one wine cooler for the whole party.
Speaker 8: Were crazy? Were you were so popular with your floppy hair one cooler? And then it got and then it got out that I was the one who brought it. Became a big deal with the PTA at school, and that was the bad boy.
Speaker 7: When did beer When did beer can pyramids stop? Like in the late nineties, when did that happen? Because that happened at every party I went.
Speaker 1: To that was that was not a thing beer pong, but beer pong became a thing. Was beer pong a thing back then? Did you know a beer can?
Speaker 6: We're talking about every Yeah, yeah, pyramids yeah.
Speaker 1: Different times, different times. Have a good show.
Speaker 6: Fellas start now.