Speaker 1: What sort of song would you like me to sing?
Speaker 2: Callum, Do you know any R and B songs?
Speaker 1: No? No, I'll be honest.
Speaker 3: I don't Rugby and buggery. I thought R.
Speaker 1: And B was like the Rolling Stones, but I discover.
Speaker 2: It's rock and or roll.
Speaker 3: Can you say the rolling Stones again, please with the audience, Rolling stones, stones stones.
Speaker 2: The ray in Spain falls mostly on the plane.
Speaker 1: The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plane.
Speaker 3: I swear the more public speaking you're doing, the more and more you're sounding like Olivia Coleman pretending to be the Queen Ah.
Speaker 2: The water in the same room, the water in the yorka don't taste like white al.
Speaker 3: Well, Olivia. Olivia Coleman to find to find the accent had to say to say yes, you have to say ears, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh I've had friends who speak like that. Do you know Sam Carlyle's father, So, Kenneth is absolutely cut glass. And I remember ones asking him about one of his cabinet colleagues when he was in the John Major cabinet.
Speaker 4: And he went, oh, yes, yes, he was much how shall we put it, much more ambitious than me. I was just delighted to be there and I thought, yeah, that's probably true. Actually, is there just delighted to be there, like so many of these the fashion walk that we saw coming down Downing Street to be given or not their position.
Speaker 1: In the Burnham thing. Oh god, that was so funny. It was They're obviously being dressed, haven't they by someone?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm going to sit this cabinet out. I think I'm going to wait for the next one in about six months time.
Speaker 1: Six months.
Speaker 3: That long line of churn is getting getting faster every time, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, I mean it is for us in our little country slide world.
Speaker 2: Eventually we could just get governed by like a stand up meeting, like a ten o'clock stand up meeting, all in an office like what we're doing government stuff, and then someone takes over. Maybe it would be like it'd be like film sports journal. You will just have like a guest prime minister every month and you can just come in and shift to some policies around to just have a crack at it.
Speaker 1: Who is your prime minister? Is a prime minister at large? Yes, it could be anybody you know this week who's prime minister? And will go where's Prudo? A bit Predo's Prime minister this week.
Speaker 2: If you could have if you could have a couple of people for like a month to be PM, who'd be your first who'd be your top three?
Speaker 1: Ian cog Hill because he would just wind up so many people.
Speaker 2: Solid choice, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Will Self the comedian and right ways, not only a comedian, the comic writer, because he's just so dour. And then I would definitely go for the real sensible choice, Andrew Neil, the journalist and pragmatist, because you get stuff done well exactly, you see, So I'd get those two coming in. So cog Hill would just go and annoy the wick off all the right people.
Speaker 2: Anarchist, pragmatist, wild cards, that's kind of.
Speaker 1: What right, Yeah, yeah, exactly. Well, who are you going to have, Richard? Who's who's your PMS for the for the trio of months?
Speaker 3: I would I think first in we'd have Yuan who does the dodgy plant hire down here in town, because he's always got an opinion on everything, but he also knows literally where all the bodies are buried. So I just want to see, Well, if you give somebody with complete local power, what they would do with the country. You know, if they could run it like the Dodgy plant higher place then where you've got the wood chipper where the all the safety devices have been removed from it because they just got in the way and slowed everything down. So if you fall in that wood chipper, you're going in. I want to see how a man like that would run a defense budget. Who else? This is the thing celebrities. There's not many you'd want now because now we know what every celebrity thinks because they're on social media. We found out they're all very dim witted, apart from anyone we wants as a future guest, in which case they're marvelous. I'd like to have Hugo Campbell hill Ah yeah, oh yes, just I want to see what pure creative ADHD could do for a country. Because they're never allowed in at the proper they're not allowed in front of cameras and things like that. But Hugo does manage to be in front of a camera. So Hugo for PM. We probably need a woman in there at some point because you know we want to go yeah, well that'd be our fourth female Prime minister.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all Tories.
Speaker 3: So we need a yes we need a conservative who should we have?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: This is this is quite telling that I'm struggling to think of a woman I should be I think should be in power. Can you come back to me on this when I dig myself out of this hole. Let's do callums?
Speaker 1: Yes, go on, callum, who are you going to have?
Speaker 2: I think on the on the woman's subject, the lady that has what's what's it called Country Food Alliance Coentry Food Trust, the Country Food Trust. Yes, she's just she just gets things done and she's just a teensy bit scary that that you just you just know not to mess with her. So I'm going to I'm going to say her as the as the lady to run things. Also, any London taxi driver doesn't matter which one, because you'll offered the opinion on anything around the government and they will tell you what the problem with this country is, whether you want to hear it or not, Like a proper London taxi driver, not like Ahmed from Uber, like the old school ones that you've all been in a taxi.
Speaker 3: And the pre boris way.
Speaker 2: Yeah one.
Speaker 1: Those guys I've had.
Speaker 3: Well, the moment someone says that there's no easy way. There's a no good answer out of that, is there. It's like saying, when did you stop beating your wife?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you will always get there, You'll always get that. Some of them are call random left wing as well, strangely, which you find. Yes, it's an odd mix, but some of them are quite hard right. But yeah, any London taxi driver, just.
Speaker 3: Any London taxi driving one. So it's someone in a black cap.
Speaker 2: And you said about ADHD creatives, and you've got me thinking Marco Pierre White. I just think it would be just great to let him loose on the.
Speaker 3: Two chefs we've had then, if you include Hugo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think that their creative energy is it's just the perfect thing if they can give proper attention to detail to just about anything. And Marco Pier White basically completed cooking, so he just didn't need to do it anymore.
Speaker 3: I've thought of a woman that we can have as as Prime Minister. I finally remembered what women are and where they exist, because of course I only have eyes for Amy now. Yes, she's the only woman that exists in my life apart from my mother and the Weekly as well. Uh, Megan Locke of the Game and Wildlife con because we've never actually had a proper conservationist in not in the last fifty years.
Speaker 1: Now. I think she's a last conservationist we probably had was Harold McMillan had said it's he Heat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyone before Heath probably a better bet. He all went downhill after Ted Heath.
Speaker 1: Although that being said, you have to remember that Margaret Thatcher was the person who first brought in any form of environmental grants, Which is something I do like to remind people when I particularly have an audience of clearly sort of green leaning voters, is to go and sort of just mention the fact that the first environmental schemes in what was their math, only came about because Margaret, actually being a chemist by training, actually listened to her some of her her agriculture ministers who also happen to own shoots and said, do you know, Margaret notices a lot less birds song about? And she then looked into it, and how presto, the first environmental land management schemes came came about because of Maggie Thatcher, which is quite funny, and it's also another thing which is always fun to tell Lefties is that actually labor closed more pits than the Conservatives did, and they get very cross about that, the fact that they actually shut more minds than the Tories.
Speaker 3: Speaking of chemicals and reduction in operations, the hot off the presses as we're recording this. On Tuesday night, there's the announcement from British Sugar that they are reducing their operational footprint from four factories to three, ceasing beat processing at Cantley at the end of February. Where's twenty twenty seven? Where's Cantley.
Speaker 1: Cantley is over on the Northolk coast, Nearish in the Yarmouthysort Way. It's not good. In fact, it's a terrible thing. And I know a few blokes are in my wild Fowling Club who will be made redundant as a result of their engineers at the plant. It will put more pressure on the whole process of sugar beat harvesting because a lot of the time British Sugar will tell you, I mean, if you speak to a lot of the guys who are actually producing sugar beat, they will tell you that British Sugar are not actually that great to work with. Because British sugar will tell you we want it now, and you say, well, it's been raining for the last four weeks and if I go on this field, I'm going to completely ruin it for the next year. And they go, sorry, what didn't you understand that we want it now now? And if you reduce the number of plants then that makes it even more last minute dot com. So, I mean that sugar bee used to be a really big earner in the East. It was something that the paid more than anything else. Now it doesn't. The sugar taxes have obviously impacted everything. There's more subsidy for actually imported sugar cane sugar rather than than our own.
Speaker 3: And I think the plant at Bury near you, yes we both coun't it as well. I think it can do beat or cane correct. So yeah, you're kind of screwed.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's Yeah, people will lose their jobs, but it will just make farming that bit more difficult, and what it'll probably do is go and inspire more people to come out of sugar beet.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I know that there's a lot of downsoid's sides to soil health, which may be a good thing, but I often think that one of the great things about sugar beet is it provides one of those winter cover crops that actually pays the bills. And there are a lot of little gray partridges about that owe their lives to having some sugar beet cover over their heads. And so I think it would be a loss to it. And I suppose it's yet another bift of a nail in farmings what coffin?
Speaker 2: What would they replace sugar beat with if they won't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I suppose they have to do another root crop calum. I suppose if you're putting it into a rotation. So I mean, so if perhaps you put it in there something like stubble turnips, and then you grazed sheep over.
Speaker 3: It, it's a lot of sheep.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of sheep, and it's we don't have that profitable, not really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that hasn't been profitable since about seventeen seventy.
Speaker 1: Although this is really bizarre. The price of a cull you when I came up to Wales, and where did I get this? When I was in Montgomery? Is that it's so very Welsh? Is I sat down to have breakfast in this lovely little cafe, which was also the shop and the post office, and she was running trying to do three different things, you know, all at the same time. And she said, oh, you'll want to read this, and she passed me the local sort of Montgomery and wherever it is, Courier or something, and about four or five pages are dedicated to the livestock prices and the market returns from Montgomery, which or whatever the local livestock market was. And I looked down through what the prices the averages were returning, and one cull you was one hundred and forty quid was the average price, which is exactly the same price as a ton of wheat at the moment, and you think, oh my god, the idea that a ton of wheat is now only the same as a cull you. I want a cull callum, if you didn't know, is one which is basically no longer going to have lambs anymore. She is destined for the kebab shop. And yeah, one hundred and forty quinn, speaking of wheat, you got yourself in trouble last week, did oh yes, I did, yes.
Speaker 3: Which which is a strange thing. We don't often get complaints into the show. But we had a complaint last week from a lady on Instagram saying that she wished we'd spoken to her about her content before we went into our informed rant about wheat prices and the amount of damage that pigeons caused the problem is we weren't referring to that lady and I have no idea who that is, but I think she sort of or herself within the the role you're describing and shooting eight hundred pigeons or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many people might think that that could possibly be about the thing. Should we just start throwing long accusations out. I saw a man at the game fair with red trousers on, and I thought his actually was terrible.
Speaker 3: It raised a question I was talking. I was talking about this with international man of Mystery and Occasional Odd Hat Choices, George Brown, and we're trying to work out, you know, what's the weight of cartridges? You would need twelve gage to shoot eight hundred pigeons assuming a one to one ratio.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's a lot. I can remember dear old Archie Coats saying that we're writing when he shot his world record breaking number of four hundred and something other he basically broke his old webley and he said he had to send someone back for more cartridges because he had only bought six hundred out with him and he had to send back for more. And he said, and he had these lovely old fashioned heavyweight springers and he said, are my dog? Well it had shell shock. So I mean it's a serious, a serious amount of cartries. I mean, that was an amusing thing. It's a firstly, someone saying that I wish you had checked out with us first because of what we've done you their objection to what I think it was because you see, she was saying this particular person who I have to say, it's very weird, the fact that we should have checked with this individual. Thing is neither Richard nor I nor you have a clue who this individual is. And we only Jenny came to our attention by her complaining.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But more to the point I think she was saying because I don't think she understands. Perhaps the new on Solvid is that she said that pigeons will cause damage to stand in crops. She said, because they tread it down, and you know they will then, which is very true, knock the heads off. Knock the heads off and they will flat it. Now, this is very true, particularly in years when it rains. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but nowhere in the British Aisles as it rained. It's also fairly unlikely to be perfectly honest in most modern wheat varieties because the straw length is incredibly short.
Speaker 3: So therefore it's.
Speaker 1: One of the things that good plant breeders of bread out of straw, which is why we don't have thatching straw anymore. But thirdly, the weird idea that she didn't seem to get the hang of is that the comment was about that wheat prices are so low. So therefore, rather than ranting about because the fact we say is a big ghost, to go and talk about how many pigeons that you've shot and it doesn't really matter what we did. The whole point of country slide is the fact we're supposed to represent real rural life. So therefore, to indicate that wheat is an undervalued product, which is why our farming system is completely going down the toilet. And to be perfectly honest, whoever this woman is, I don't really care, because you don't understand about farming. So therefore I suggest what you would be better off doing is just don't complain. Don't complain all the time you want to complain to anybody. Tell the global wheat markets to.
Speaker 3: Pay a fair price to our farmers. Yeah, and if you actually do, want to unblock me and reply to the message future guest opportunity there, Yes you have, we'll come and talk about come and talk about pest control. And anyway, we got the Game Fair coming up, so that we're recording this on Tuesday. Patrons get this on Thursday and this is.
Speaker 2: In their ears as they drive up.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then and for the rest of the world, it's coming out at four pm on Friday. So you've already missed the first day of the Game Fair. But you have chance now to go on to go to the links in the show notes. Here, there's a link there that says bingo cards. So this is something we've been talking about for a few weeks. It's something that started as a joke a couple of years ago. Oh yes, that's on the Game Fair bingo card. We'll actually realize no one had done them. So you now have your game Fare bingo cards and you go there and it's just a little thing we've drawn up. You click on that, you pay a quid per card and you get a download and then you go around the game fair. They're knocking things off, So it's everything from red trousers, mustard cords, a dog in a pram I think is in there and one of them hif helmet club, the fox call, yeah, the fox called bastard man in a pair of de Barris standing in a pond in a paddling pool. Too much flesh on display?
Speaker 1: What else is on? Oh, I'd tell you what the other one was. Was that thing about the flipping whirligig the pigeon magnets going around constantly.
Speaker 3: That's just still going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you go Campbell Hill.
Speaker 3: You celebrities, yes, celebrity hedge layer, Richard Nigus. So you can go along there and there's four different types. You can choose one, two, three or four. You can buy the bumper set which is a whole four pounds. But anyway, everything after the card process of fee, which we can't control, the rest of the money goes to the Game of Wildlife Conservation Trust. They haven't actually said they're willing to take our donation or be associated with this, but they're getting the money either way, So do.
Speaker 1: You know what I reckon? They'll be prepared to take the donation. Have you seen some of the people who donate to them, they're absolutely rotters.
Speaker 2: Do you know.
Speaker 1: I actually donate.
Speaker 3: That's an invitrus.
Speaker 1: I've donated twelve pounds per month to them.
Speaker 2: They take a large donation in crypto.
Speaker 3: And offload your dog with hats or whatever. These crypto valuation of so other game fair news. Because we said that we would meet outside, there'd be a sort of a fans of the show meetup, which could be anywhere from two people with a dog on a bit of string all the way up to two thousand people who knows. On Saturday morning outside Hugo Campbell Hill aka the Game Glutton on his stand and I have his stand number fresh off the presses stand T one five two six. So he's right in the middle of the food vendors bits there's a there's sort of a double row of food vendors and they're all facing each other with like a big jousting arena right at the top end of the hill, and he's in the middle of that. So go and find there the game Glutton and I think we're meeting there at what time on Saturday at ten am ten am or Saturday meeting just outside there. So if you're not going on Saturday, so you're going on Friday or Sunday. And this is if you're a public listener, you've already missed the Friday one. I suggest that if you want to go and meet some Country Slide fans, just wander there for twelve pm on any of the days Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. We can't guarantee that we'll be there because we've got interviews and things to do. But if you're at a loss and twelve pm is a good time to be visiting the food area, go there and just hang around for fifteen minutesside hugos if nothing else, you'll see hugo. Yes, and there is a code word look.
Speaker 1: At look for the increasingly large number of T shirts that are being sold.
Speaker 3: Yes, we sold some T shirts, so we have their T shirts are for sale. They I'm not going to repeat the story once again of how I was too busy and I was bullied into doing this.
Speaker 1: Bullied bullied, Oh, that's a harsh word. Is just because Calum and I are incompetent, that's all. Don't black bully and.
Speaker 3: You can utter faith in a mate who could definitely.
Speaker 1: Do it and beach and he was on a beach in Bali. Look, he's in the household, was in the household cavalry. What do you expect?
Speaker 3: So there are some T shirts which are available. We're going to come up with a better solution for later in the year, but that will do for now. So there are a T shirts available in that. But that's it. Gamefaring. And then if you see us, say hello, one of us may may not be wearing a pith helmet, possibly.
Speaker 1: Just narrow itch ditch one down. Callum, do you own a pith helmet?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I just want to put it out there. I do not own a pith helmet. So if you see someone with a pith helmet and a kilt, the chances are it won't be Calum and I. It will definitely be Richard. So you can guarantee if you go up to the hobbloy Richard, it's a yeah, hobbling in a kilt, sobbling.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to go to the game wildlife Conservation Trusts, Taylor's, whatever they are of.
Speaker 2: Taylor is the is the tea tea company?
Speaker 3: Oh that's the tea company to their drinks party in a pith helmet and see it and get thrown out.
Speaker 2: Just just let you know that the Tailors is the second best port brand in the in.
Speaker 3: The h Yeah, that's a photography gig you don't want, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The Symmington's They're just they're just anyway.
Speaker 3: So we have a topic for us, chosen actually by producer Amy. Good topic it is too, it's quite a good topic. Yes, I think this is why we let them vote in the end, because it turns out they do have quite good ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's that. And also, any woman who wants to suffer a jet movement gets my vote every time, sorry, chain herself to my railings and suffer a jet movement gets my vote every time. That's a Blackadder quote, Callum.
Speaker 2: Before your I was going to say, I have no idea what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Any woman who wants to chain herself to my railings and suffer a jet movement gets my vote every time. It blast Wolf exactly.
Speaker 3: It's we should sit Calum down and make him watch everything that we give references to. Yeah, it will take a long time. Everything with Lord of the Rings, the Blackadder, to the railway children, Daddy, my daddy, Are you okay?
Speaker 2: Hunt?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, you must have seen railway children? Anyway, back to what Amazon's We didn't mean to go to see they in my shackles? Do you not? Do you not know? Swallows and amazons? Arthur Ransom?
Speaker 3: You know who Titty is?
Speaker 1: That's middle aged?
Speaker 2: Then this is what happens when I wake up and it's really hot and the missus has got the fan, just little ticks like that just.
Speaker 1: In your ears hasn't stopped. This is what our patrons pay for, or have you know your fever dreams? People pay for? So what did Amy suggest that we do? Richard?
Speaker 3: So the topic is given that we all do several different things and not all of them well at the same time. The it's about special interests, not those type the topics that you would choose. Is your specialist subject on mastermind? Amazing factoids? You know what's our special thing? If you had to say that's our thing that we know about and that we do, well, I can stand there and talk about or answer questions about because it may not be what you expect and it's not your profession. Certainly you're a bit of a head start with this one, Richard, because you've written about You've got a whole book about hedges.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to choose hedges. I think it would be unfair because that is the day job. So I would say my other thing if I actually had to go on Mastermind and had a chosen specialist subject, because I think I'd do all right on the general knowledge because I am a mine of useless general knowledge information. But if you ask me what seven nine's are, I'm having to go and take my fingers and you know, check my fingers and toes. I think I would go probably for the works of RS. Thirties. He who wrote books like Jix johnson Jollities and Mister Sponge's Sporting Tour. So he was basically the author who was like the rural version of Dickens. In actual fact, Thackeray said that he wrote a book called Mister Faci's Rof's Mister Facy Romford's Hounds, and Thackeray said, I wish I had written that, you know. So he was highly credited he edited the sporting magazine. He was a squire from up in the northeast, Jedburgh sort of way, and just on the sort of English borders up in Northumberland. He was ridiculously curmudgeonly. He had no time for new moneyed people, He had no time for snobby people, he had no time for anyone who was gutless. He was an out and out I mean, basically, we've already mentioned it. I'm gonna mention twice. Imagine Coghill, right, but with some money. And he was a trained barrister who went the law's shit. And then he happened to inherit his sort of family estate, which is a relatively small thing, and he just went hunting. And he wrote these hilarious books most of the time, I'm for his own because he owned his own magazine. So he wrote all these things and they were serialized. And he had this major character called John Jorrucks, who they think was more or less where John Bull came from, is that they more or less modeled it on his character, John Jorricks, of this bluff englishman who was a self made man who was nobody's full but drank six bottles of poor tonight, and I think I would do it on him, and I love his works. And although it's very long and Victorian and Rambley, which I suppose perhaps I'm type casting myself Victorian long and Rambley. I don't know where I like him, but I think so that it would be the works of RS. Sertis. I've read everything he's ever written, and even his slightly indecipherable ones, and I've got them all sat on my b bookshelves just there next to me. And I've even read Horebuck Grange, which is literally unreadable, but I read it anyway. And yes, that would be it. RS.
Speaker 2: Sort of eighteen hundreds early, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back before the Victorian age kicked in. Correctly, it was the best bit of the eighteenth century. Was in the beginning of the nineteenth century, Yes, more or less weirdly.
Speaker 2: I remember you mentioning him before some Yes, wasn't he a grocer?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Was Ax was a grocer from Great Korum, Great Cooram Street in London. And he actually used to go hunting and he meets up which shows you how life has changed. He met up with his favorite. He went to Croydon, of all places, the Croydon frog down from central London the Surrey, the Surrey Hunt.
Speaker 3: But it was a village still.
Speaker 2: You could probably you could probably do that now to be honest, Well enough foxes in Croydon.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is I've actually I went on a pilgrimage because I'm so sad to have a day with the Surrey. And I thought you were going to say to Croydon. Oh no, I can tell you a story about Croydon. Actually, my wife, bless her, we went to meet my mother in law off the trail or drop her off to the train of Croydon because she had come to do. My sister lives in Reigate in Surrey, and we dropped off my mother in law on the train to get weaned the way back to York and we dropped off in Croydon and Claire made a bit of an error. There was sort of basically five yardies in a car and they pulled out without indicating and Claire beat them and I went, oh my god.
Speaker 3: This just killed us.
Speaker 2: I didn't know where this story was going.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to I now clap because I'm not going to stand up for them going and ripping our our car aparts, I'm gonna have to go down and fighting. And I went to open the door and they must have been busy because they sort of put a hand out the window waving something and I don't think it was a pen. And then they drove off very fast, and I have to say, I've never felt that close to death. Well, the last time I felt that close to death when they Ira mortared me. So yes, not fun. So yes, your exis to hunting Croydon, of all places, and then he buys his own estate and becomes a master of hounds and all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Because of Croydon, there's still quite a lot of shooting on the estate there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, isn't that it's going to say there's lots of drive by shooting? I don't know how much I think, Yeah, yeah, exactly. So what would your chosen specialist subject be, Richard?
Speaker 2: I've got so many I know this is like, what kind of autism do you have?
Speaker 3: Basically ask me, watch what flavor I have?
Speaker 2: It's please tell me it's World War two history? No, can you just list off a few that you are had an intense possession with that bordering line.
Speaker 3: On civil defense and fallout, carryles, steam trains, World War two, history, the Battle of Britain, in particular, specialist Welsh mountain names. I mean, I don't want to list all the stuff for work because work stuff boring. It has to be weird, random stuff, isn't it? Okay? So my my topic I'm going to actually have is the relationship between the human brain and being outdoors, because that's pretty much been more my career, whether as an outdoor instructor or as an instructor of the weird and wonderful things that gradually I used to teach don't do so much of anymore, the foraging and the wild food aspects of that and things like that, because I used to get asked to do I still do every now and again to go and do talks on stage. Could you come and do a talk about foraging? Yes, but in your mind you're expect to be to hold up plants and tell you their names, aren't you. That's a crap talk. Instead, what I'm going to do is talk about the relationship between the hunter gatherer brain and where we are now. And once you start digging into that, you see how much about who we are now as a species and how we interact with each other and how we've built things, which is basically anthropology and evolutionary psychology. It's fascinating stuff and when you start looking around at other people it explains so much so things like your hunter gatherer brain is. I mean, you're the result of lots of people having sex with each other and successfully breeding, who are all good at spotting resources in the distance, in the edges of grassland and on rocky beaches and in woodlands and things like that. You have good sort of ocular acquisition of things. You can spot things and say that's the resource. You also have good resource mapping, which is you know where the things are in your house that are useful to you. So I think we've done this on the podcast before. But miss Nigus, if you could just point to the nearest copy of Curtis from you just.
Speaker 1: There, it's about just over an arm's length.
Speaker 3: Away, okay, and the nearest bottle of household leech.
Speaker 2: That's a pink job.
Speaker 1: I think it's in the downstairs loo. I wouldn't guarantee it, though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got an upstairs loo, and by that wall, haven't.
Speaker 1: You one of three bathrooms?
Speaker 3: I don't know but you have a map for every item in your house that's useful to you that comes from standing in a woodland knowing where those things grow at that time of year. And anybod who works on the land, who has to work with certain species, they know that already. Any forest that any woodland manager, gamekeeper, whatever listening to this knows where the really big patchwa garlic is on the estate and where the small patches and where the little bits are that are down by the stream that are there. But no one really bothers with that sort of thing. Your brain does that. But your brain also does that for every object you own and everything in your in the supermarket, so the way they lay supermarkets out is based around the hunter gatherer brain because your brain carried on processing information that way even though we invented farming between eight twelve thousand years ago, depending where you are, So we have that relationship between the hunter gatherer brain and who we are. And then you have things like dumbar number, which is a number of people you can form meaningful relationships with, which is anywhere from one hundred to one hundred and fifty or so. So that's the number of people you can you can remember who they are, their relationship to other people, their relationship to you, friend or foe, and your status relative to them.
Speaker 1: So that explains why K never spoke to any of his backbench MP's. It was the fact that he couldn't physically well, I never well, I never.
Speaker 2: This tees me up nicely. If anyone, if anyone does recognize me at the game fair, you'll have to state your name. Where I know you from the interactions. I might have had the bleachers kept in your house, and then I might have an idea because my cash, my token allowance has been expired for a long time, one is full and I am awful at this stuff. Will have to be like, I'm this person on Instagram and then take a picture and then show me it.
Speaker 3: Can you show me the la? Yes?
Speaker 1: Correct, there were nasty means callum, what would yours be? And you're not allowed to say anything to do with fish.
Speaker 2: I thought long and hard about this because, well, since you sent me about three hours ago.
Speaker 3: But how many topics did you cycle through in those three hours?
Speaker 2: I am a generalist and having the brain that I do, I can go really deep on absolutely any subject and then just happily move on from it. I find that people that like memorize the exact date that some historic event. I find that just I appreciate that you're interested in it, but that is not information that should be retained. Like a good head injury should should wiggle that out, you know, and you should be getting regular head injuries if you're a real country folk or just stupid like I am now with the burns, you don't do the long way.
Speaker 1: Of trying to explain your burnt head.
Speaker 3: Well, head injuries are sort of the universal et. Just get charn't you Just give it a shake and it all goes.
Speaker 5: That's basically, yeah, that's how that works. But like, there's just so many things that I have studied over, you know, just bought the top ten books on it and sat there and listened to all of them in the car. It's like, right, okay, not like the matrix where he loads the loads of the thing in it and then ten minutes later he's like, I know, kung fu, I'll just do that with like finance or the Secret to Happiness, and I'll just do a whole binge of it.
Speaker 1: So what are you going to have when when what's his name? Your man Myrie. What's his name, Clive Myrie, who is now the presenter of Mastermind, that says, this is Calum name Calum No, no, no, no, sir yeah. Occupation So I.
Speaker 2: Think the only one that's given me occupation good. I'll just pick one of them. Probably photographer would be the one chosen.
Speaker 1: Specialized subject.
Speaker 2: Dank memes from twenty seventeen to the present day.
Speaker 3: Questionable internet material.
Speaker 1: Question is that what a dank meme? Is that question? In the present day?
Speaker 2: Who said? What a day? Harvey Price?
Speaker 3: He hasn't taught a pug how to do a Nazi salute yet, but he has thought about it.
Speaker 2: Complete the catchphrase by yeah. The phrases, the popular phrases of Harvey Price is particularly We've been my subject.
Speaker 1: I'll be perfectly honest. Is that that is a bit like a real world Mastermind because you see people go on there and when I was a kid, when could go.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I think I'd probably have a good run.
Speaker 1: If it was the problem, they would let you do it. Now. Back when I was watching it as a child, people would go on and they would say the battles of Sir Thomas Fairfax sixteen twenty four to sixteen forty, and this guy would be listing off all the things you say that you think are completely worthless, because he'd be asking about, you know that the Great Parliamentary General and these people were going to do. Now they have things on that.
Speaker 2: I saw one with the Simpsons, Yes, and I was just like, I know all of these answers. It's like I've only watched a few episodes.
Speaker 3: It's fifty percent of how you communicate to me. Yeah, Simpson's reference, I.
Speaker 2: Can'm wearing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. One thing I say quite regularly is the Millhouse quote, which is my feet are wet, but my ankles are bone dry. Everything's coming up Mealhouse. Just the epitome of optimism in a single quote.
Speaker 1: I know this isn't you know?
Speaker 3: We're talking about evolutionary psychology. I Wance Callum studied for science.
Speaker 1: Now listen, we don't have very much longer left here. So we've worked out that that Calum's going to do dank memes. Yes, you're going to do this fascinating thing right about how basically we have evolved to eat, how we eat and find our food. And I'm doing some obscure old author. Here's a question for you, which would be your final question when they go I started so finish Richard. When we first discovered that we could find these things called red kidney beans and we ate them, or you watched your mate eat them and then they died? What thought process went through the people who would see their mate dine? So obviously they kill you. But if we boiled them, then they might not kill us. What the hell possessed these individuals to do that? And how do they go off? Few? That's all right? You know, that's the worst chilikon calm?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 1: Ever?
Speaker 2: Is this neophiles and neophobes.
Speaker 3: It's not food preferences. It's not whether you're like turkey twizzlers and therefore you can't be deported this there's a niche reference. Okay, do you want the actual answer?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Because there is there is There is there is an efficient.
Speaker 1: This is mastermind.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's to do with the fact that there are quite a few food types that are made edible and made safe to eat by a process of washing, purging, boiling, whatever. You know, quite a few different edible roots and tubers are like that. In process of starvation if you know people are eating it and dying, that you know not to do it again. But you could experiment on prisoners of war. Okay, so the prisoners from tribal battles would be very You'd have to feed them something if you wanted to keep them alive, So you may as well try and feed them on experimental foods, and that would be how you'd gain information. But then the passing down of that information would become one of the most important things. If you lived in the area where red kidney beans were all different roots and different things that have horrendous amounts of tannin in them, or something that you have to leach out, so you have to pass that on to your children and to keep the tribe alive, in which case the tribal groups that developed language and complex language first survived.
Speaker 1: There you go. You see all that from a kidney bean, So that slightly top trumps your dank memes callum, and it makes my knowledge of R. S. Serties look positively rubbish, doesn't That's.
Speaker 3: The episode title now, isn't It means kidney beans and R.
Speaker 1: This is actually the reason, dear listeners, why we are going, however, to Hugo Campbell Hills stall at the game fair because he is basically our leader, because he knows that even that he gets a pheasant and then he smashes the hell out of it with a hammer, and he turns it into something quite edible.
Speaker 3: So there we go.
Speaker 2: You see, so actually say that the pheasant's dead.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, it is dead.
Speaker 2: It doesn't just smash the hell out of pheasant. No, that's that's for that. He does that one at the Scottish game Fair. He does good.
Speaker 1: Well, here we go one can of Campbell in forty five Yes, and he's got a Campbell in it. You can you imagine all the non Campbell's going, I hate that Campbell's So we learned a lot in forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Thank you everyone, Bye driver, bye bye bye bye bye bye