Speaker 1: This is later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast. More what you hear weekday afternoons on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Doctor Mike Hyman is the founder and Senior Advisor of the Cleveland Clinics Center for the Functional Medicine and founder of the and director of the Ultra Wellness Center, and host of the leading health podcast The Doctor's Pharmacy. Also a best selling author of numerous best selling cookbooks, the latest of which is called The Young Forever Cookbook more than one hundred delicious recipes for living your longest, healthiest life. Welcome doctor, Oh.
Speaker 3: It's so good to be here with you. So living ola.
Speaker 2: Living young Forever. What's the key to it? Other than eating your recipes?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great question. I think most mistink that aging is something that's inevitable, that we have to get defrailed, decrepit and decline in our function. But we don't if we know how our bodies work. So Young Forever in the Companion Cookbook is really a roadmap for you for how your body works and how to turn on the longevity switches through the right food, through exercise, through the right nutritional supplements and sleep app activation and many other amazing tools we've learned about how to activate our bodies longevity switches, and food is the biggest switch. If we regulate our biology through food, and it's not just calories, it's information, it's basically instructions or code that can upgrade your biology with every bite, we can live a long, healthy life. It's not just to live longer, it's to live healthy. I mean, who wants to be fraily? To crapit, most people live twenty percent of their life in poor health. You don't want that. You want your health spam, which is how long you're healthy, equal your life span, which is how long your life. So Boom lives to one hundred. Go for a nice hike, make love with your wife, have a nice loss of wine, and then drop dead in bed.
Speaker 2: But I do love your attitude that it's not about denial and it's not about self denial and self. It's not like it requires a whole hell of a lot of discipline.
Speaker 3: Opposite, just the opposite.
Speaker 2: Tell let's go over some of the recipes and the Young Forever cookbook that you deal with roasted pepper and zucchini for tata.
Speaker 3: Well, the fritata is great because it's something I love to make. And you don't actually have to follow the recipe because you can, and we'll just give you instructions about how to make something simple. But actually I love forritata because you can take all the leftover stuff in your fridge, like onions, gar like you stir fry them up with a little olive oil, chopped up whatever vegetables you have, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, whatever is in there, greens, and then you just weep up the eggs, pour it over the top, you throw it in a pan that's good in the oven, like a cast iron pan. You pop it in the oven and it's delicious. This actual recipe has a lot of good things in it like spices like clothes, and has red pepper, spinach, obviously, eggs, and also some fresh herbs pepper in your cheese, which is some sheep, and it's just a yummy and simple breakfast. I love these because you can break it for your family friends that they come over for a brunch, and it's it's something that you know, you think that's a fancy dish from a fancy restaurant, but it's just so yummy and easy to make.
Speaker 2: Well That's the thing about a lot of these right. I'm finding the more that I study different types of food, whether that be Italian or or even British or even the Oriental, it's it's it's they're doing the same things we want to do now in this in this day and age. Is you want to make the most of what you got in front of you.
Speaker 3: You bet? Yeah, you bet?
Speaker 2: Uh, doctor Marcus, such a it's such a go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, just it's such an important thing to realize that people need to take back their kitchens. You know, they've been hijacked by the American food industry and we're used seeing processed food. And this is really all about learning how these food is medicine, upgrade your biology so you can feel good and and live a long healthy life and and and avoid a lot of the medications and complications that are really caused by our ultra process diet. And this is just an attempt to give you yummy and delicious, easy to make recipes and guide you how to activate your lung heavy switches.
Speaker 2: Oh you're playing my song, doctor. That's one of the things I've worked on over the past ten or fifteen years is better ways to preserve some of the things that I do make so that I can get another meal out of them. Better ways to preserve the ingredients that I want to make. Some of the best things that I want to be the freeze ability or vacuum seal ability of certain foods so that when I do get home at the end of the day, I can throw together something that isn't processed.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly. And it's just about a little skills, and we don't learn those skills home mech is Gone with Betty Crocker was an invention of the food in the tree to get processed food into your home recipes like Campbell's cream and mushroom soup in this cast role or rich crackers on that you know whatever. Oh God, that's a fake person, and I thought it was a real person. But we need to take back our kitchens because we need to eat real food from real ingredients and learn how to cook simply and easily, and it doesn't take time. I made last night, for example, I worked all day six I made dinner in like fifteen minutes. I put some fresh wild salmon in the oven. I made some broccoli steamed, it made some lemon olive old dressing, A nice simple salad took a whole thing, took about fifteen minutes to put together, and you don't have to make it complicated and just made simple, real ingredients, and it will help you stay feeling good and actually enjoying your life, which is not what most people get when they get older. They get all kinds of chronic illness and spend more times in doctor's visits than they do doing what they love to do.
Speaker 2: A lovely wife and I got into a I won't call it an argument, but a disagreement over food.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: They say, why can't you make a nice castle like our grandmother, my grandmother used to make? Can? I say, because your grandmother used to make this broccoli, rice and cheese casserole, I'd rather have the broccoli by itself, the rice by itself, cut back on the cheese, and instead of the cream of mushroom, I'd rather just have the sauteed mushroom. There. You got it all right there on a plate, and they all bring that enough flavor to the party. Yeah, Doctor Mark Hyman Young Forever Cookbook, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, no, I just add you think it was such an important moment in America, we were seeing a health crisis, and you know, some people trying to talk about it. I think Trump and Robert Kennedy talked about in their campaigns, but most people are not talking about the chronic, the disease epidemic that's costing us over you know, four trillion dollars a year, that's leading to so much suffering that's really fixable by food and and people need to understand how much power they have in their in their kitchen to transform their lives.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've had, but I bet I can count on no, Actually I can't. It takes two hands to count the amount of people that I know in my life that I've lost because they didn't take care of themselves.
Speaker 3: Exactly, I mean exactly. It's it's it's it's something that we don't learn. Most of us are not given a codebook or a manual for our bodies. And this is what I've written is essentially, here's an instructure manual, here's how it works. You know, most people know better how our iPhones work than our bodies work. And that needs to change if you want to actually feel good and enjoy your life, because that's what it's all about. Right, then you need to learn how your body works. And you know, if you have a dog, you're not going to feed it French fries and McDonald's and give it give it a big Coca Cola for breakfast. I mean, we feed our bodies and it's insane. We wouldn't feed our dogs what we feed to our kids.
Speaker 2: And you can read more about these great recipes and the Young Forever Cookbook a definitive guide to understanding how food can help keep the body and sould young forever. I'm noticing a distinguishing characteristic as well in corporation of lots of greate fruits and vegetables in your recipes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, you know what, in the plant world, there's all these amazing medicines who call these phytochemicals, and the Rock Foundation is spending two million dollars to catalog their medicinal properties. And you don't have to think of them as as tasting bad medicine. This is tasting good medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the chemicals in the food, the phytochemicals, regulate all these longevity pathways. So when you eat foods that support your biology, you end up having this incredible benefit of who that tastes good and woo that you love and the food it loves you.
Speaker 2: Back the Young Forever Cookbook Doctor Mark Hyman, and you know him as the Young Young Forever bestseller. And this is more than one hundred delicious recipes for living your longest and healthiest life. Thanks for joining us and thanks for the good.
Speaker 3: Food all right pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven. And iHeartMedia presentation