Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the five o'clock hours started. Here at a beautiful Tuesday afternoon, the sun is shining. We've got postseason basketball on. It's not great action, it's not great teams, but hey, it's it's March, it's winter or go home for a for a lot of teams playing today, because let's say today's games don't include any team that could get in if they if they lose today, right, I mean, there's nobody from the ACC that's getting in without winning the whole tournament outside of honestly, Louisville. I mean Louisville, Clemson, and Duke are clearly in, and then maybe Carolina could get in just because of the bubble bouncing their way. But outside of those four, I mean Wake Forest and SMU, I don't think they can get enough good wins from now until Saturday, if orse, they even do that to where they would be able to find themselves in.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, it's not.
Speaker 2: Great action today, but hey, it's it's college hoops and it's when it's winner go home, you can tell, like there's an emphasis clearly for these teams that I'm watching right now, and whoever wins this will get a chance to play tomorrow, and the winner of that game will take on Louisville. So right now looks like it is is it still tied?
Speaker 3: It was tied?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Last I checked, it's close between Cal and UH and and who's who is it Cal? Who's Cal playing Virginia Tech. Yes, that's how quickly I forget, because again, I you know, not to say that, you know, Louisville can overlook anybody, because they almost lost to Virginia Tech. But you know, like if if if Louisville is even close to who we think they are, they they should be able. Upsets happened, of course, but I mean, I haven't thought a whole lot about whoever it's going to be, But it's either going to be one of these three teams, because the winner of this Virginia Tech CAL game will play Standford tomorrow, and the winter that one will be Louisvill's opponent on Thursday. And then once Louisville gets past them, of course, if they do, I mean I assume they would. Well that's where Friday could set up for a rematch with Clemson, which will give you I mean, look, it's worked out to where it will still be a valuable win. I mean, it's gonna be another quad one, but not just a quad one, because you know it barely hit the range of what makes a quad one a quad one. But it will be a neutral sit win against a Clemson team that only has suffered one loss since you beat them, and oh.
Speaker 3: By the way, they beat Duke.
Speaker 2: So there'd be a real value there, in fact, more value than I probably have been considering.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just something about it being like if Louisville you'd rather have two wins against Clemson than one, considering Clemson's your best win. But I also just the thought of flexing your best wins being the same team twice. I mean, more than anything, it would just show how new teams you played in your league that gave you.
Speaker 3: The chance to get any value.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a Duke rematch would be awesome, and I don't know what would happen. And I don't feel good about Louisville's chances because I think Duke's that good, But I think they'd compete and I mean.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 2: I die to see what they could do if they played against a team like that, because you know, you never I mean, I don't want to get ahead of ourselves here, but like if Louisville plays Duke in the ACC tournament, I mean you could you know, let's just say hypothetically you pulled off the big upset, Well, then you could still lose early in the tournament and that would be you know. So what I'm getting at is just you don't know if you're going to get another big test with this team, and I have no clue what happens.
Speaker 3: It'd be a bummer if they played and they got killed.
Speaker 2: But man, I I'd rather watch and find out than just not play them at all.
Speaker 3: Right, Like maybe a beat down would hurt your.
Speaker 2: Resume, but I mean I selfishly, I would take the risk just as a fan because I love this group so much. That's one of the things that really hasn't been talked about a lot, and it's not really been on my mind because you know, I'm living in the moment, enjoying this team and everything that's come with this awesome season.
Speaker 3: But that is sort of a.
Speaker 2: Kicker to where like if they end up losing to Duke, and then they lose in the round of thirty two, I'll still love these guys.
Speaker 3: There's nothing that could change that. This season's been awesome.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: It couldn't have been really much better.
Speaker 2: Honestly, even though if you throw this scenario at somebody a year ago, nobody believe you, no matter who the coach was, honestly, and they probably would have believed you less at the time when they found that it was Pat Kelsey. Just to be real at that time, so to not ever get them to not ever have another chance to see them go against one of the best when one we would embrace that challenge, that opportunity, at least we would as a fan base, That's what I mean. And I have no clue what's gonna happen. It's not like, hey, you give me Duke, we'll beat them down. I hope so, but I don't know. Again, they're good. I think they've got a legitimate chance to win this whole thing. One of very few teams I would say that about. So, you know, knowing that it could potentially be bad doesn't keep me in any way from being, you know, super excited about the opportunity. If, of course the opportunity is there, you're gonna have to get to the championship game. Of course, Doorks Duke's gonna have to win as well. But I mean they just kind of said like if they never get a chance to really get a big test, and look, they've been tested by teams that we know aren't very good. But I also think part of that's just the human element of sports to where not that they're out there complacent, and they've never been complacent enough to where it's actually cost them a game. So now I'm kind of thinking, yeah, help bring them on. Let's hope that they get Duke, just because man, I don't want to. I don't want this thing to end with this great special group that I love watching play with me not having another opportunity to see them really go up against one.
Speaker 3: Of the best.
Speaker 2: And look, if they get past Duke somehow and pull off that upset and they still lose early in the tournament, that would suck, and you'd feel like even more under You feel underwhelmed more so just because you're thinking, how can we beat Duke on a neutral court, which wouldn't be neutral. You'd be in Charlotte, and yet we lose in the round of thirty two to some you know, to a five seed or something, whatever it may be. I mean again, that would feel like, man, we should have won because again we beat Duke. But oh, either way, like you'll use your brain like a lot of people do when the emotion wears off, and you'll realize, hey, yeah we fell short. But man, like I feel not that anybody needs it, because I'm sure fans aren't even really thinking about it. But if you are somebody that does sort of seek validation that this team is as good as you believe they are, are an early loss in the tournament, the big dance wouldn't be as would not would not steer me away from being confident in this group and feeling good about them if I knew that they got passed to because I think that good about I think that I think Duke's that good. So I didn't even do it to make a joke, but I did slip up there and almost said dork instead of Duke, and it kind of is one of the same and flowed well, yeah, it would.
Speaker 3: Have flowed very well.
Speaker 2: They've got a real dork running their social media account. Which it's not John Shire. There's no way because it's just not I mean, it would be it would be weird if he wanted to manage the social media accounts of DO Basketball. He's the head coach, but you would think that he has say so and what is being put out there because look, that's an extension of him. He represents the program. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram. That's how a lot of people get all their information. They're glued to their phones, right, So you're using that as a vehicle to you know, show people what you're about. Not only you know, sharing highlights and sharing stats, information on your team, that kind of stuff, but you know, just kind of you know, using that platform to better connect and really express who you are as a program. And again, it all starts with the guy running the show, which is John Shire. So to see, after Pat Kelsey was named ACC Coach of the Year yesterday, Duke already have a full prepared batch of content highlighting all of Shire's accomplishments and all of Duke's accomplishments. And then you know doing the I'm not really I'm not really bothered by it because you know, it's about as surprising as all the years coach Cay didn't win it, but by going through all the effort that you went through and doing something that nobody does using the official team accounts to put that stuff out there, you very much blatantly put it on your forehead.
Speaker 3: Whoever it is.
Speaker 2: It might as well be on Shire's forehead because they'reagging him in it, which I cannot believe he's getting tagged in this without him either one being the guy that's like wanting them to do this for his ego or his insecurity, whatever it may be, or clearly being okay with.
Speaker 3: It, like a lot of people have said, is it still up? Is it still up? That speaks to like how everybody's aware that this is just.
Speaker 2: Not a normal thing for an official account on social media to just be boohoo in about an award that that you know, the other guy won because he was more qualified for what the award? Is it really the fact that they look at it as like a disrespect to Shier God, it speaks to insecurity that I never knew Duke had because you know, Duke's Duke.
Speaker 3: Hey, you just kind of let that brand speak for itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and honestly, somebody else made this one on the text line, because everybody just kind of knows what this award is. And again I'm not gonna act like it just goes to code like it's it's a backhanded compliment, because I saw some big blue bozos saying that yesterday on on on Twitter, you know, because a lot of people getting in the weeds here to kind of like look at Duke and think like why would they put this out from their official account? And there was somebody on there might have been that dressed and roland guy who works for Rivals, and he acted like it's really a backhanded compliment because they're telling you that they didn't think you were any good and you you know, you did a little better than they expected, and like that that's like the most like obvious way you're trying to be like indirect but man, like you're bothered as well.
Speaker 3: But Kelsey won it because.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't be able to hide your big blue boner if your boy Pope went SEC Coach of the Year. And you know, I'm right, and look, you should always praise your coach for winning awards that kind of stuff. So anyways, like it's just odd for them to be that bothered by it. But again, Kelsey, and I know I'm sounding like the ultimate Homer here and look for Pat Kelsey. I'll be honest with you. I think I am the ultimate Homer. I think I could be fair, I can be honest, but clearly I'm a fan like anybody else has been. This has been awesome. I don't think I could ever be mad at this team. That's how much I appreciate them bringing us back to life. So you know, with all that said, when you look at how good Louisville was this year, and look right now, we can't determine if the twenty five and six record is as good as we think it is, because again they've only been playing acc teams. But this is a regular season award. You can't wait until the postseason to then determine. Okay, was there twenty five and six as good as it looked on paper?
Speaker 3: Right? Like, you can't do that. So Louisville is a twenty five.
Speaker 2: And sixteen, that's top fifteen in the AP pole, in the Coach's poll, and they were projected by everybody to be one of the worst teams in a bad league. I mean they were picked like ninth and eleventh by different people who voted, and they finished one game out of first place. So I mean, I don't really think you know, no matter how you want to look at the award, if you understand it, it's both right, a good coach who coached a team that had success and was good, but also you believe that that success for the team, the biggest factor was more so because of the coaching than anything else.
Speaker 3: That's how you give this award out. That's just that's the way it mostly is.
Speaker 2: And you know, if Kelsey would have been, you know, instead of eighteen and two, let's say he was thirteen and seven, that still would have been good. That still would have been a good sign for Louisville. And at that point, I think it might have been more of okay, were they good enough? Like if they were thirteen and seven but not in the tournament safely and they had some really bad losses to the terrible teams, then you could certainly make the case that Shire would be more deserving. But again, when you've got somebody who did finish one game behind you, and he doesn't have three top ten NBA picks, you believe that his coaching and what he's been able to work with was a real factor in them being eighteen and two. You were nineteen and one and probably should have been undefeated. You probably shouldn't have lost anybody in this league because you know, you've got players that nobody else in this league has. So I don't know, I just I can't imagine, like Duke's a very weird program in general. And I don't mean that as an insult, although I've insulted in plenty today. I'm just saying, like, you know, they're like they're weird, like they they they're a small school. They don't have a huge fan base in their own area. I mean they just don't. I mean they have some. They clearly have a big student section that actually it's not that big, to be honest with this, the tiny gym. I mean it's a tiny student section, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: So in being in.
Speaker 2: Durham, like Duke is kind of you know, you know that Duke is there as far as the university, but like a lot of their alone don't live in that area. They live in like the Northeast or you know, it's kids who grew up in Carolina. Seemingly a lot of them go to NC State or UNC. They don't go to Duke. I mean some of them probably do. It's not like nobody does, but you know, they to me, they would have like they they are actually a program that I think would genuinely have a tough time with some self awareness because they're not really like they don't have the like their generation of fans is different than most because I mean, let's be real, Duke is coach K.
Speaker 3: That's all it is.
Speaker 2: And now they've extended the coach K lifeline here with one of his former players, and Shire is a good coach. Shire may be really successful long term. I wouldn't be shocked at all. But like they're like, Duke is coach K. That's all you have. Like there's no I mean, not only is he the only coach has been successful, Like he's really been the only coach like you've ever had. Like there's other programs like Bobby Knight. He's the only guy that's been successful at Indiana, but there have been a lot of other guys that have done it, you know what I mean, So like there's generations it. So I don't know, I just to me, the more I think about it, they would be a program that I think wouldn't you know, maybe someone will say they just don't care. Maybe that's the case, or they wouldn't even realize, Like, hey, you know, that's a bad look. Because even if you feel that way, is if your guys should should have won it? Whoever believed, Like imagine the arrogance or the lack of awareness, maybe a little bit of both to not realize that, like this was going to end poorly. You want the conversation to shift to Shire got robbed, he got snubbed. Look at all these accomplishments. How could he not win it? You thought that was gonna be the takeaway. No, the conversation is actually, you know, in the toxic wasteland that is the Internet, it's not no longer about Shire or not winning it. It's not even about Pat Kelsey winning it. It's about how odd and just weird of a look it was for Duke to have social media content created to go online and fill up their diaper about Shy or not winning it. Like if Shire was just un like bothered because he's a competitor, Like I actually respect that because I get it.
Speaker 3: You know, your competitor, you want to win. But like if he's wanting.
Speaker 2: People to like, Like, put this way, if Shier's really that bothered by it, I would have more respect for it if he just came out and said it as press conference that he feels like he should have got it. Sure it would have been a people would have probably made fun of him, but like, at least that had been respectable. But like, and that's why I have a heart time thinking that he's actually orchestrating this. But I also have a hard time thinking that he's not, you know, supportive enough for them to continue to do it. Like, if you know how this kind of stuff works. As far as just what these accounts are like on social media, you probably said the same thing that I just mentioned a moment ago, Like people are asking they haven't taken that down yet, cause again it's just what's the risk reward there? You just look bitter, and who who looks good and bitter? Nobody I want to I don't want to wear bitterness ever.
Speaker 4: Well, not only that, because they were obviously kind of complaining and salty about the about the PKACC Coach of the Year, But did you see the posts that they wrote about I guess one of their players not winning the defensive way.
Speaker 2: It was Flag who didn't get it. So yeah, I'm glad you brought that up. I forgot to mention that one earlier and I did not read that one on the air. But yes, they sent out and I mean again that that speaks to they just knew that they're doubling down well. And what's crazy is that Cooper Flag won Player of the Year and Freshmen of the Year and I mean defensive player. I mean again, like he's good in every aspect, but like I don't think I mean again, he's good.
Speaker 3: He's a good defender.
Speaker 2: But for them to just I don't know, it's it's more so arrogance than anything else, I guess sure.
Speaker 3: And they're so.
Speaker 2: Arrogant that they probably like they're a program that I and they're Look, they're Duke. They are. They're one of the bigger brands you'll find. But they probably are the only or one of the only ACC. They're the only ACC team that doesn't care about this for their own reason, Like I think other teams, other teams in the league don't care if the ACC stinks because they just don't.
Speaker 3: They've never been good at basketball.
Speaker 2: They know they got to look in the mirror when it comes to the league, stinking right, because they're a big factor now. Louisville, of course was that for a couple of years, but I think everybody knew eventually loisll was gonna try to make some changes because they're not content with not being good in basketball. So everybody in the league, for the most part, I think wants the league to be better because it's better for everybody.
Speaker 3: I bet Duke didn't care.
Speaker 2: I bet Duke would be fine if everybody's stunk, because they're kind of in their own world, right, Like they're always gonna get brand bumped because they're Duke, and the only way they could ever eventually, I think, you know, and maybe they do want those opportunities because to get wins because they don't like the narrative. But Duke's the kind of program that doesn't care about the narrative. Duke, it's not the Duke. Duke, to me, is not one that would be bothered or even maybe even know that people are calling them the new Gonzaga.
Speaker 3: Right man, You're you look really good.
Speaker 2: You got a lot of talent, But for two and a half months you didn't get challenged when you get to the round of thirty two, it's gonna be wake up Tom. Just like Gonzaga when they lose to teams, you know, early in the earlier in the tournament than most would expect. And it's maybe not because they're not as good as you thought they were, but they hadn't had a test like that in three months. So like maybe Duke doesn't care about that, because again they're Duke. They're just in their own world and they're just different and weird. But them wanting all the wards, I mean, it's one thing to fight for your guy in campaign, for your coach or player because you want them to have the best because it's good for you and for them. But I mean the more so that they are just thinking like they're kind of you know, the the official program account thinking that they not only because by the way, I mean, let's put in this perspective, Austin, they have the league by itself, they won by themselves, they have the Player of the Year, the Freshmen of the year, and they that's not good enough to where they're they're complaining that they also didn't collect defensive player of the Year and Coach of the Year. So it cleans if there's somebody that wants to, you know, give the impression that everybody's wrong about the ACC, which that'd be a tough thing to lie to even yourself about, because we all know the league is down. But like you using your platform here your I mean, this is how you reach fans this day. By the way, it's the quickest way to reach your fans is to send out a tweet or an Instagram post or something like that. Right, So they're using that the official voice, essentially the official extension of their program, to say we need all the awards because everybody else in this league stinks and it's a travesty.
Speaker 3: What do they call it?
Speaker 2: With the you know, a snub, yes, or you know, this is what they said about the defensive Player of the Year. It shows an old computer, like an old computer from like, you know, pre internet computer. Yeah, it says a friend asked, with all due respect to the great defenders across the league, if this was the computer used to compile stats research for ACC Defensive Player of the Year consideration this year. So, I mean, you're like they're bothered by Chucky and Pat Kelsey. And here's what's crazy. Duke is better than Louis. Dou beat him when they came here, and Duke will probably beat him if they play him again. I mean, crazier things have happened, but let's just be real. But like they're thinking about Pat Kelsey, they're thinking about Chucky Hepburn, and it's one thing to I mean, I just think the unawareness to know that you look jealou peanut butter and jealous. It's just weird because again, you could you could have that feeling and keep it to yourself and like that's the best way to go about it, because that's how the majority of society is. But for you to want to wear publicly your jealousness is just so unusual. All right, Before we get to our next break, I do want to mention there's there's clearly some some some awful news from today that I still have yet to see any official update.
Speaker 3: However, earlier today Louisville Louisville legend.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's a legendary basketball player here and also with the Milwaukee Bucks and obviously a very successful businessman. And I don't need to give anybody any any introduction who Junior Bridgeman is. But he suffered a medical emergency. Earlier today when he was at an event at the Gold House speaking, He's actually being interviewed by wk wise Kent Taylor, and while being interviewed in front of one hundreds of people in attendance at this event, he had a medical emergency and you could hear him say to Kent that he believed he was having a heart attack. So he was taken away in an ambulance and went to the hospital. And again, I've not seen any update since earlier today as far as an official update. Now obviously, uh, there there are you know, there are people out there giving their own update, and I'm not doing that because that's irresponsible and I don't know, and I wouldn't even I mean, I have no I have no update on my end, and I'm sure if you look, you'll see others claiming this and that, and maybe they're right. I don't know, but that the latest we know is that that he's he suffered a medical emergency, and I don't know. I just I'm kind of grossed out by people who are just assuming that because of like prayers needed posts being sent out by former players, Like there's people that I know have no access to Junior Bridgeman or people within his world that are that are posting that he's passed and it's probably just like a safe guest because you want to look like you are breaking that kind of news. I mean, I don't believe many people are out here putting it out the and out of no clue that's even true or not. But like I don't know, just if somebody came in here and told me this big news that someone passed away, I would feel uncomfortable share breaking. And it's just you know, that's not my job. That's news, right, that's not this And the amount of people that just rush to social media in today's society to put out something that they know they have no way of confirming, and even if they feel like it may end up being right, because there's enough noise out there about it that it's probably true. Like if it ended up not being true, like I don't know, that's just where we are, Like nobody even thinks about things the same way anymore. But imagine like putting something out there like that, knowing that you didn't know for sure, and then just like okay, good, what was wrong?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Well, you probably imagine somebody seeing that who you know found out that way from a rando. It's just disrespectful to like break.
Speaker 3: News of anybody losing their life or anything.
Speaker 2: I just, you know, it's one thing to share things after the fact, but I cannot imagine being somebody of finding out trad information about somebody that they love and they care about like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no good way to get it. But I mean, anyways, we'll get to a break.
Speaker 2: If there is an update, I'll be sure to let you guys know, but I'm not going to put anything out there until it's official from those who you know do this for a living, that you know are are are well aware of a standard in a line you don't cross when it comes to sharing legitimate news that could be, you know, something as serious as loss of life. All right, quick break, coffee and company. Feel abou Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's unfair to say that currently the Louisville and Kentucky football programs appear to have different paths momentum clearly going in one direction for Louisville and the other direction for Kentucky, and you know, maybe maybe that maybe that's a big change.
Speaker 3: After this year.
Speaker 2: But obviously Louisville coming on off a couple of really good seasons with brom. Even when Louisville did lose to Kentucky, I mean that was an upset and you know, that's the best win Stoops has ever had on the road, is it not. I mean, I don't know how good Louisville actually was overall. I mean, clearly they were good. But anyways, I mean, Kentucky has he fell apart last year and I don't really see a scenario where they should. They could be much better because the schedule is going to be even tougher, if you can believe it. And then I mean a lot of players who might have been you know, locker room issues and just guys you probably needed to get rid of for one reason or another. They were still talented to an extent, and that's not the end all be alright, Sometimes you don't need just talent. You need guys who do the right things. And you know it's not just about that. But with all that said, you know, Mark Stoops, I feel like one thing that he has always been able to do really well until recently was really just even if he's not having success, even when he wasn't good and they I mean when I don't mean like really good, I mean like even when he wasn't going to bowl games, I think he would talk to fans and they would find him real, relatable, likable, and that could buy him a lot. And then of course, you know, expectations got lifted a little bit higher. They started winning, and he got a lot of money, and then he started making comments about.
Speaker 3: Ponying up and you know, just you know, it just seems.
Speaker 2: As if last year was a real bad year for for for Mark Stoops all the way around. But today he went on with KSR and I haven't got a chance to listen to it, but I would imagine that he probably was aware that, hey, you know, as much as I do think these fans should appreciate me, because I you know, they're not where they used to be, and now that I'm here, you know, you gotta you gotta sell. I mean, if there's if there's anybody that that could be able to get fans excited interested more so than maybe they anticipated despite their.
Speaker 3: Being really no.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think they're going to have anything on the roster on paper by the time the season starts for this fan base to genuinely believe that they're going to be a decent team, just because again they lost good players and they did all right in the portal, I suppose, But I mean, I just think you I understand, if you're a Kentucky fan, why you wanted Stoops to potentially be shown the exit last year, not because you think he's terrible, but because you just feel like it's run its course. And I think you're you're you know, you're probably right in that in that regard. So anyways, what I'm getting at is, if there was somebody that could do it, it would be the head coach, right. And I'm not saying like it's an easy thing to do, but you know, if you hear your head coach talking and you remind yourself how much you like him and that he has been successful at times, and that you know he's right he does, you know, you know he's the guy. You may be wrong, he may get to next season and win fewer games, but you gotta at least try. And I know Matt has talked about it on KSR a couple of times since the season ended that Stops really never had any kind of like you know, State of the Union press conference or interview to kind of, you know, discuss how bad they were, and that really wouldn't have I mean, there's nothing you could say that's gonna change how bad they were. However, you know, you got it, You got to say something, because then what happens is people just assume that you're content and you're not that bothered by it if you're not gonna address it with us, and then you also run the risk of, you know, when you're not out there leading your program and being transparent as much as you you almost now have a responsibility and used to have, because you can't if you just sit back and never do interviews, never talk, never acknowledge anything.
Speaker 3: You just stay completely private.
Speaker 2: I mean, you run the risk of other people talking and speculating because I mean, like, for example, when things are going really bad, that's when speculation starts, and you have to balance it by you know, knowing that there's no words that's gonna change it. But just sitting back and ignoring things leads it to where people run with different narratives and you can't control it. At that point, people are gonna believe they wan't believe. So he did talk today, and I don't Again, I didn't hear the whole thing, but I do know that he talked about wanting to keep the Louisville game. If the SEC goes to nine. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen, but you know, he did acknowledge that it's going to be tough. But you know, I think he's aware. And again, this is what made no sense at all when it comes to the talk of like losing that like eliminating the game. It would give Kentucky a chance at a guaranteed win, and it would give them and it would give them a sure thing every year where they have a certain amount of home games, because when you when you do a home and home in a non conference game, you know one year you're gonna be at home, the next year you're gonna be on the road, and you having that every other year game on the road keeps you from being able to open up your gates on a Saturday and make a lot of money. That's a that's a money maker for these programs. So and money's always mattered. But now when you've got that twenty million dollar bill, you got to pay out to student athletes. Because you're sharing revenue, you're gonna do everything you can to bring in as much money and get creative in ways, and you know cut costs that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So you know it makes sense from that aspect. But who individually.
Speaker 2: Stands to gain iflllo of Thelle can tell you don't play each other in FOOTB No. One because Kentucky fans don't want the series to end, Louisville doesn't want the series to end. We all know deep down, if we're going to be honest with ourselves, that we put more value on it than we probably even realize in the moment because we're not elite programs when it comes to football. Maybe now with the twelve team playoff, that one of these teams could sneak in. I mean, Louisville could get there in the ACC with Kentucky. It's gonna be tough in the SEC, but there's a path, right, I mean they put twelve teams in now, so we can look at seven and five, eight and four, maybe even nine in three and know that if we got left out of the playoff with there's twelve teams going, Beating your rival is really going to be a chance to either validate your good season or maybe you know, think, well, not only do we fall short of the playoff, we freaking lost to Kentucky, or we lost to Louisville. So I mean, rivalries are what makes sports great, and there's just you know, and Mark stubes he's not scared at Louisville. I mean, maybe he will be down the line, And I don't even really say that seriously, because I don't think he's scared, but like he should know more than anybody how valuable that win can be to his fan base, because I think the majority of Mark Stoop's big, you know, big deposits he's made to Big Blue.
Speaker 3: Nation is beaten Louisville.
Speaker 2: And in football, I mean not to say he hasn't done other things that have been good for Kentucky's standard for over you know, forever, they've never been a big They've never been good in football really and now they at least, you know, for the most part, during the bulk of his tenure, they've been solid and more than anything that just I mean, they used to be the doormat of their league and now I mean they were that this past year, but I mean overall, they're now at least consistently not having losing seasons other than this past year, and that's a big step for them. So, you know, if he's doing that, Kentucky already feels like, man, this is a lot better than we were when we were irrelevant and terrible for decades. But now if he's beaten Louisville, then like, you know, not to say that, you just want to end it and you don't need any other success because you're you.
Speaker 3: Know, you're as happy as can be.
Speaker 2: But like we look and I have no problem admitting it, Louisville beating Kentucky, even when they stink, it means more. It feels better than beating anybody else because you know it's your rival. Now, last year it was a little bit different because you just had to get the cup back. Like there was no sing, like it was just it was really just a it's almost like an operation. Go up to Lexington and you know, ran sack on while they're terrible and the worst team in their own crappy league. You know, go just go go take what's yours, and you know, throw a few punches on your way out, like that's kind of what it was, because it wasn't really a game it was and in a weird way, Louisville actually could have won by double the amount it seemed like.
Speaker 3: But anyways, we'll see what happens. Money matters. Stoops.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's just saying this because you know, he thinks it's what fans want to hear. But deep down, that's why I've always just been kind of perplexed by the whole conversation, because again from the monetary thing, like it makes sense that you would want to make sure you're doing your best to make sure your bank account's looking good because you've got to pay players now, and you know, you've just got to be prepared. But also, I mean, that's the only way that you would ever make sense. And everybody else that has, like say so in the said in the decision to do it would benefit by the game continuing to be played. And would you know, everybody's going to be upset if he gets canceled. And here's the facts. If it does, the fingers are going to be pointed towards Mark Stoops and Mitch Barnhart, like Barnhart's the guy who you know, I guess directly would be who people think that it's about. But Mark Stoops gets whatever he wants from Mitch Barnot. That's been clear for years now. Look at how many different contracts this guy's got and that most wouldn't get. I mean, he can get whatever he wants, So it would be rich if if it ends up getting canceled and Stoops like tries to act like he had no.
Speaker 3: Control, Come on, you want to play the game.
Speaker 2: The game will be played. That's what it comes down to. A right quick break will wrap it up on the other side. Stick around right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: So with fourteen minutes left in the second half, cal is up three on Virginia Tech thirty nine, thirty six, and again the winner of that game will play tomorrow against Stanford, and then the winner there will be Louisville's first opponent in the first ever postseason game with the Pack Hills here and it's nice to have that not be today, you know, the day of shame.
Speaker 3: It's a good place to be no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, So looking at tonight's matchups again, it's it's not a day where you've got a lot of great teams playing, although you know, not elite teams by any means, but some of these teams playing today and even some teams that played last night could be some teams that maybe you know, play the role of Cinderella this year. But you've got more ACC games later today this evening, i should say. And then also the Big twelve tournament started today as well. Oklahoma State, I'm not sure, I don't remember who it was they played, but they lost earlier meeting their seasons over and then you've got Arizona State Kansas tonight. The rest of the SEC games are you got Custon Florida State at seven, and then at nine you've got here's the other ACC game or maybe they are they only doing three? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Maybe there, Yeah, there's only looks.
Speaker 2: Like there's only one more game in the ACC after this one here, and that's that's QS n FSU the rest of the matchups here. I mean, again, I won't sell this as if oh you better tune in because you're gonna miss out, But you know you and c Wilmington and Delaware played tonight in the CAAA championship game. You see Wilmington knocked off Charleston last night. Chris Max team I had a close one that they just fell short at the very end.
Speaker 3: Delaware though upset.
Speaker 2: I believe it was Towson who was the winner of the league in the regular season. So now the Delaware Blue Hens they could play Cinderella in their own league, which I like that league. I mean, I don't know why, but I've always I've always found myself kind of appreciated that level of hoops. Not to say that it's like elite, but you know, there's something and I can't explain it, but like the Missouri Valley they already had their conference tournament and Drake won that one earlier. In fact, it was on Sunday. But that's a league that were reasons I can't really explain. I just you know, I have an appreciation for one because like they care a lot about basketball despite being really small schools. So some other conference games tonight, as far as the championship games. In fact, there will be some tickets punched tonight.
Speaker 3: It'll be.
Speaker 2: Youngstown State and Robert Morris so Youngstown State is led by a Kentucky native, a twin one of the Faulkner brothers. I can't always get a mixed up, but they played high school basketball at Eastern Kentucky and went on to have good careers as players themselves. One was at Pikeville, the other ones at NKU, and they both got into coaching. And yeah, I think it's Ethan who just took over for Jared, the former head coach at Youngstown who's now at Utah State having a great run. So yeah, again, if you read to do other things on this beautiful evening now that you know it doesn't get dark at six o'clock, I get it. But me, I'm gonna hope the kids want to come in early so I can watch basketball games against teams that you know, some of you probably never even heard about. But I'm a sicko for it, and it'll be gone before too long, and then I'll be sad.
Speaker 3: All right, heavy, good night.
Speaker 2: Everybody will talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety