Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Wrapping things up in Chicago. The convention is over, the coming out party is over. Now as the dust settles, we'll find out what the polling tells us. Do I believe the polling, Absolutely not. We were screwed over in twenty sixteen, haven't believed them since. But I am interested just to see what the information says.
Speaker 2: And it's expected that Kamala Harris and Tim Walls would get a bump whatever that is, three points five points?
Speaker 1: Does that when the dust settles next week, after this is all over, I mean the RNC you thought Trump was unbeatable, right.
Speaker 3: He was, I mean, at the US point he was.
Speaker 1: But then a couple of days go by, and the nature of the news cycle right now is so crazy.
Speaker 3: It's so quick.
Speaker 1: We're so inundated with information from all parts of life, pop culture, entertainment, politics, news, We're inundated with all these alerts.
Speaker 4: So it's fleeting.
Speaker 1: It's very fleeting that the power you have today could be completely gone by tomorrow.
Speaker 2: My wife refers to it as alarm fatigue, I think is what she said. I happen to be talking about the sirens. I mean the sirens around our hotel were biquit. I mean all week they were non stop.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: When when I heard the first siren when we were there, I was like, oh, let's settle about. By the time we left, it was just like, I don't even flinch for a siren because they were everywhere, so.
Speaker 3: Likely that we're very numb to.
Speaker 2: And I think that explains kind of I mean, you and I our fatigue of doing this all week. There's a fatigue to it because we are inundated with it. I mean it's constant now, granted we're here, and that's obviously the point of why we did this here this week was to bring the biggest story, but it was. It is something to kind of keep in mind that you can get numb to whatever's going on.
Speaker 1: It also highlights how easy it is to be sucked in to the echo chamber, like if you're a Democrat or if you're a Republican and you're only reading your own.
Speaker 4: Medicine, Yeah, you get stuck in the album.
Speaker 3: You get stuck in that so a couple of stories.
Speaker 2: In terms of other stories that are going on, at least five members of the Secret Service have been placed on administrative leave after the assassination attempt against former President Trump in Pennsylvania. One member of the Personal Protective Team and four members of the Secret Services Pittsburgh Field Office, including the Special Agent in charge, have been placed on leave. Federal agents raided the homes of Orange County Supervisor Andrew Doe and his daughter an investigation into the alleged improper use of taxpayer money. They had at least five locations that they went into, including several homes and a restaurant, searched in connection with the allegations that were made against a local nonprofit, the Viet America Society, in a lawsuit that was brought by the county list.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about JD Van's awkward trip to the donut shop, our friend general. The awkwardness of JD. Vance at the donut shop trying to act like a regular member of society. It reminds me of a nineteen year old on a college trip to Haiti trying to act like a necessary member of the Peace Corps. It's like somebody, hurry up. And take a picture of this bee holding a shovel so she can post it on Instagram and go home.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So cutting Vey, you have plans on Sunday, you can be flying back.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have plans to fly home. No, I will be I will fly home on Saturday night. You should a football game.
Speaker 2: You should make an attempt to get to opening night of Burning Man.
Speaker 4: Ooh tempting, but I'm all fresh out of energy.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Gavin Newsom is a character that we saw all week. It's kind of in the shadows wishing that this was a party for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so desperate and not demrror, not mindful.
Speaker 3: He would also.
Speaker 2: I mean it was expected, of course that he was going to at one point run for president, right, we knew that that was that it didn't materialize.
Speaker 3: And we don't know why. Yes we do.
Speaker 2: He's weird and to use their term against him one of the issues that came up. He did an interview yesterday. He did an interview yesterday with Brett Beaar from Fox News. I'm up right, Oscar, and it was about this. Brett asked a great question. They're sitting in that Fox News booth over the convention floor, and he points to the stage behind and says, didn't you want this to be you?
Speaker 5: Boy?
Speaker 1: The last registration and we appreciate you coming on and taking tough questions. Is there any little part of you that wants to be on that stage to night accepted this nominal?
Speaker 3: No, just a little bit.
Speaker 6: No, No, I don't need the stress of my life. I like my kids.
Speaker 3: I like somebuddy tail.
Speaker 6: I was able to bring them the school first day of school on Monday. That's that's the joy that I'm experiencing. That's just the joy that in the convention, I'll be in the front row. You'll see me applauding a friend of almost thirty years.
Speaker 3: We knew each other before we were both in.
Speaker 6: And what an honor that is to be here as governor despite all our challenges, And it's an honor to be.
Speaker 3: Here with you.
Speaker 6: Or that's like the Oscars, a fourth night Governor.
Speaker 2: What a mess I will say. I commend him for going on Fox News. That's not a that's not a friendly place for him to go.
Speaker 1: He will run to any microphone that presents itself. He's a hooker in the street.
Speaker 2: We we contacted him all week and all last week to try to get him, because we knew he was.
Speaker 3: Going to be.
Speaker 1: Frankly glad we didn't get him. It would have been because I was not going to be a very demure and mindful person.
Speaker 3: And that's very demure, very I was.
Speaker 4: Not going to be.
Speaker 3: That was not going to be you.
Speaker 4: I was going to say things like who are you really?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Like what I get it? You had a pet order? You think that that makes you a human? That makes you a crazy person and completely not like any of us who had cats and dogs. It makes you even richer that your pet was an order, Like.
Speaker 3: Who are Like?
Speaker 4: I wanted to like have a series.
Speaker 1: Of questions, you know, like first date questions of finding out who this person is and getting real answers, and then when he didn't give me real answers, to highlight that and be like, you're not a human. You're not answering this like a human.
Speaker 2: I thought your description of him, I don't know if you said it on the air, but I know you said it.
Speaker 3: We talked about it off there too.
Speaker 2: Is just that he's a you know, well you don't know who he is, right, but you know guys like him, And I mean that in a derogatory way. You know guys like him, right, and that you, as a woman would stay away from guys like him.
Speaker 1: My gut has always led me into the right situations when it comes to running away from bad people.
Speaker 3: At the right time.
Speaker 7: Time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and she's laying some people out. We are live in Chicago, of.
Speaker 4: Course it is day domestic violence.
Speaker 3: Spent the day.
Speaker 2: He spent the week at the Democratic National Convention being ignored by certain politicians, meeting some other people.
Speaker 1: Okay, so who are we most ignored? It was Karen Bass, Karen Bass Sanders or no, did we effort Bertie Sanders at something?
Speaker 3: We did just a little bit.
Speaker 4: But he had a mob around him.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like Cordy Booker.
Speaker 7: Cordy Booker was, I mean, he had the best detail where he was walking unto his people around him like a little shield, like little Roman soldiers, and they were swatting people away. Because I tried to get in there too, and like I almost got my hand hit.
Speaker 1: I was like, but at least we got one socialist on in Cornell West. He Michael pointed out to us by the way that he reminded him of Victor brick and I think that hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 2: That was a great that I didn't think about that until afterwards. And it's a perfect description of doctor Cornell was.
Speaker 1: And he walked away, and you and I both looked at each other and said, we are high. We have not smoked weed in decades, and we are high as a kite.
Speaker 2: You can send us messages on the talkback feature on the iHeart app. Just hit a little microphone as you listen on the app, and it leaves us a message.
Speaker 4: Jen poor kfi. Does anyone really listen to the messages that we send over? Oh yeah, no all the time.
Speaker 3: No, what do you mean, No, we don't listen to those guys.
Speaker 5: I think Kamala Harris was very much underrated. I think that she is going to surprise us as she did yesterday, and all this lowdown time has just helped her come out of her political show. And Shannon, it's Berns and.
Speaker 4: Hi my accent.
Speaker 3: I know it's awful. It always has.
Speaker 8: That, Carrie, Shannon, Yola, you know what, You're right that I got pulled over. No, I'll call you guys back.
Speaker 1: I need to hear my daily message from you. Don't let the law interfere with that.
Speaker 3: He's too happy about that.
Speaker 1: So there was a column the La Times today and this was the headline, Kamala Harris faced a high bar in convention speech. She soared past it, to which I say, did we watch the same speech? It was fine, it was safe, It was calculated. It was not Reagan, It was not Margaret Margaret Thatcher. It was not soaring past any sort of bar. It was at the bar, or maybe a little bit below. It was not personalized. It was not a human speech.
Speaker 2: It was political gobblybook. We are expecting at the top of the hour, Robert F. Kennedy Junior to drop out, to drop his in dependent presidential race campaign, I should say, And then the other expectation is that he would likely endorse Donald Trump. Now, Nicole Shanahan is his vice presidential running mate, and she when we talked about I believe it was Wednesday, the first time she had said something on a podcast about sort of dispelling the rumors that somehow they went to the Harris campaign and were begging for a cabinet position or the same thing with the with the Trump campaign. So we knew that this was going to happen. We knew that the writing was on the wall for them. Does that come out if it's not true? Because he denied both of those instances. It's like, how does that come out if we didn't make that call. My understanding is that he he has reached out to both campaigns, but not in a way to say I want a cabinet position.
Speaker 3: Or any sort of that.
Speaker 4: Like what he said, Why is he reaching out?
Speaker 2: Well, part of the reason is he felt like he was he was kept out of the debates for one thing, although.
Speaker 4: The other campaign no power in that, not.
Speaker 2: Necessarily, but they could have also put pressure on CNN, for example, when they did the debate in June, they could have put pressure on the network to include Robert Kens.
Speaker 4: Did he reach around and circle back?
Speaker 3: I doubt it, but we'll say.
Speaker 2: Nicole Shanahan tweeted, my old DEM buddies have been flooding me with frantic calls, texts, and emails. Unlike Roe, I wouldn't dream of airing those private conversations publicly. I think she refers to Roe Conna there. I'm not quite sure, but the message is clear. They're terrified of the idea of our movement joining forces with Donald Trump. And when I point out with the Democratic Party and their super packs have done to sabotage, sabotage our campaign, their response is always quote, but Trump is worse. Here's an idea. Stop suing us, let us debate, quit rigging the media and the polls. It's a simple formula of people, get with it. She also in a podcast, interviewed Paul Bond, longtime writer for Newsweek Vanity Fair I believe, and he said that there was clearly an effort to keep stories about Kennedy out of the meeting.
Speaker 9: The story never ran. They wouldn't allow to run. And Bobby said to me, after talking to me for an hour, he said, I said, you know, you know, thanks a lot. I mean, you don't even know me. We talked for an hour. You're a busy guy, he said, yeah. And this, this story will never run. So he predicted it, and which made me want to report on him even more because he confirmed my suspicions that reporters are talking to him, but they're not getting their stories published.
Speaker 3: He's not getting on air.
Speaker 10: I just was on the phone this morning with this young journalist, bright eyed, who's been following our campaign NonStop. He knows all the details, but he hasn't been allowed to report on it. This is Will McDuffie at ABC.
Speaker 3: Oh very good again.
Speaker 2: That's Nicole Shanahan on her podcast this morning with that longtime writer.
Speaker 1: Just did he do like a Kennedy's speech accent my my speech? My speech isn't all but fun of the voice, not make fun of it, but kind of mimic it.
Speaker 2: You mean when he was saying that it's not gonna that the story's not gonna air.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, and this this story will.
Speaker 2: Never run like the Lilt the Little Okay doing the show again from Chicago or not at the United Center this time when they shut it down, they shut it down.
Speaker 3: The inside of the arena is still lit up.
Speaker 2: You could see some of the TV stations, the cable channels that were still doing their they're using their sets, utilizing their sets. But everything else around the United Center is completely torn up. Once they get that the balloon drop and everything. I mean, they had the chairs off of the floor within probably thirty or forty five minutes of the Vice President finishing her speech last week.
Speaker 11: OD you admittion socialists. You two are very fine at your socialism. Not covering the Republicans, but you're covering the dims.
Speaker 3: Bah, good job.
Speaker 1: We told you repeatedly we wanted to go to the RNC. We asked for it, we begged for it. They didn't get their act together at the station until all hell broke loose following that convention and said, Okay, we've got to go to the next one.
Speaker 4: And we knew this is not a choice.
Speaker 2: And we knew that that was going to be a concern. I mean, we knew that people were going to think that that's you know, that that was motivation.
Speaker 4: Of these people.
Speaker 3: We don't choose that's the better way to put it.
Speaker 4: Although I did find people I liked this week.
Speaker 1: You know, Antonio Viragosa sounded smarter than he's ever sounded.
Speaker 4: I was talking my husband about this.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I covered him when I was a reporter, and maybe it's because he was mayor of LA and there was a lot going on and he kind of fell into the whole celebrity aspect of it and he wasn't focused and so when every would hold a pressI availability, it would be like, uh, you know, you've heard it all on Johnny Ken, right, But he was hyper focused. When we spoke to him yesterday, he was on point, he was making sense, and he had clear I mean, I don't agree with everything, but he was likable.
Speaker 4: He wasn't swarmy to me the way that he used to be.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because we I mean we talked with him, kind of asked him about Gavin Newsom because he referred to having met with Gavin, and Gavin Newsom actually asked him to be I think he said it was the infrastructures are I don't remember exactly what the position was called, but he was. So he's worked with Gavin Newsom before, and we were in our minds kind of comparing the two. Where again, yet you don't I don't know. I don't know any political stance that that Antonio Vierra Gosa has that I agree with. But he's a guy that I could sit there and have the at least have those conversations.
Speaker 4: But he made sense.
Speaker 1: Like we asked him about George Gascone and he was like, we've got to we've got to clean this up. Yeah, He's like, I'm not about throwing homeless people in prison, but we've got to do something. And I think that's the opinion of most reasonable people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said, you.
Speaker 1: Know, he admitted that California isn't a bad spot. San Francisco, La. They're unrecognizable from fifteen twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: We talked a lot about the Chris Watts case from August of twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: He was accused of killing his wife, Shannon, and a couple of daughters, and his was his image was The images I should say that stick in my mind about him are the bodycam footage of the police officers that came into the house the day after they were reported missing, and he just seemed so calm, and he had just killed three people that were the closest.
Speaker 1: It was so reminiscent of Scott Peterson. And I started to watch that Peacock documentary yesterday about Scott Peterson talking from jail, and I turned it off within maybe four and a half minutes when he started talking because he doesn't get he doesn't get to talk about his dead wife and child Connor. He doesn't get to like, why are we giving him a platform? It rubs me the wrong way. And Chris Watts was exactly And you know, Mark gerragis said when Chris, when Scott Peterson was arrested, well, there's no playbook for grief. You know, you don't know how you're going to respond, And this is the way Scott responded. No, this is a way a sociopath who murders their wife because they're in an affair, that's how they behave right now, we have a pattern of behavior.
Speaker 3: In this case.
Speaker 2: Some newly revealed letters show that Chris Watts used to say that his wife was a control freak and that he only cheated on her with his mistress because the mistress was everything the wife wasn't like with me. The New York Post had several handwritten notes from this guy serving a life sentence of course at a Dodge correctional institution in Wisconsin for these murders. He said he admitted to strangling Shannon in their Colorado home August to twenty eighteen, drove her body to a job site at the oil company where he worked, and then dumped her. Two daughters were in his truck, said that they he killed them and then stashed their bodies in oil drums, and he said the motive was so that he could be with his mistress, Nicole he pleaded guilty sentence to life in prison.
Speaker 4: He does he think that this is a legitimate defense? Like does he?
Speaker 1: Is he that tone deaf that he thinks that like this mistress tempted him and led him to kill his wife. And it's his wife's fault too because she's so controlling and his mistress was letting him do all the things that his wife didn't. Well, I don't mean sexually, he said in his statement. She was everything my wife wasn't to me.
Speaker 2: This is a here's here's a fun twist. No, but here's a fun twist. I know, not just those letters. Some of this information comes from the guy in the next cell, by the way, guy named Dylan Tallman, Well Perkins operation fellow prisoner there. Tallman was in the cell next to Chris Watts, and the two men became close. They had agreed to write get this a prayer book together that's rich, but Chris Watts eventually decided against it. So Dylan Tolman released a series of three books called The Cell next Door and talked about some of the stuff that he learned while he was in prison.
Speaker 1: Can I quote from the Bible of Chris Watts in his prayer book if you'd like. In one letter in the Bible letter to Paul dated March twenty twenty, Sorry that was inappropriate, good, he wrote. Chris Wats wrote a prayer of confession, quoting, now the words of a harlot have brought me low. Her flattering speech was like drops of honey, bad subject verb, disagreement there that pierced my heart and soul. Little did I know that all her guests were in the chamber of death.
Speaker 4: He's blaming his mistress.
Speaker 1: For him strangling and killing his three and four year old daughters.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's capable of doing that, his brain clearly doesn't work right.
Speaker 3: Awful. It's not a huge surprise.
Speaker 2: Live in Chicago, wrapping up the week here for the Democratic National Convention. Back back in southern California for next week. In fact, Shannon's doing the football game. Chargers actually have a game in Dallas tomorrow. So I was reading through New York Times had an interesting look at and I was mentioning this earlier when we were talking to Joe Khalil from News Nation.
Speaker 3: We got seventy four days left.
Speaker 2: Seventy four days and as much of a honeymoon as this week will be for Kamala Harrison for Tim Walls. Peter Baker wrote this pretty eloquent paragraph that I wanted to read just because I think it encapsulates the concern that Democrats are going to have over the next couple of weeks. It says the buzzkill reality is that victory is anything but assured. The thousands of jubilant delegates in the hall this week were not representative of the swing voters that Harris needs to defeat former President Trump. History is littered with presidential candidates who roused their partisans at conventions, only to fall short come November. And whatever else he is, Trump is no pushover. Harris can expect a bruising battle over the next two and a half months. One of the big developments of course today is that we're expecting Robert F. Kennedy to end his independent presidential campaign. We're watching a live feed from a looks like a podium that's been set up in Phoenix, so there's people in the room, but Kennedy's not there yet. He is expected to throw his support behind at former President Trump. That's coming up at the top of the hour. We also know that Kennedy withdrew from the ballot in Arizona late yesterday, so if that means something. Also, speaking of former President Trump, he said that he's not going to be getting intelligence briefings for fear that he would be accused of leaking classified information. Now he's a leading candidate. He is the Republican nominee, and usually intelligence agencies do offer briefings to presidential candidates once they've actually received the nomination, in which he has obviously, and he said. Former President told the Daily Mail he could now get the briefings if he wanted them, but he thinks it's a trap. He said, I don't want them because, number one, I know what's happening. It's very easy to see what's happening, and then said I wouldn't want them to think that I leaked information. So one of the developments also about former President Trump is now at least five members of the Secret Service have been placed on administrative leave after the July thirteenth assassination attempt against him in Butler, PA. One member of Trump's personal protective team, and four members of the Secret Service's Pittsburgh Field office, including the special Agent in charge, have been put on leave for different reasons, and we're now six weeks out. If you remember Kimberly Cheadle, the former head of the Secret Service, she resigned her job just after about two weeks. So Tom Girardi's been on the stand. Tom Girardi, of course, longtime lawyer who was accused of misappropriation of millions of dollars in settlement funds that were supposed to go to his clients that were allegedly fueling his and his wife's lifestyles back in twenty twenty, almost four years ago. Now, his law firm basically just blew up. He was accused of stealing a bunch of the settlement money from widows and orphans in an Indonesian plane crash. Hundreds of former clients and vendors came forward said that they were collectively cheated out of hundreds of millions of dollars as well. And he took the stand yesterday in his own defense. Eighty five years old. It's the first time he's spoken publicly about these allegations. And he got up to the stand and with the trembling hands of an eighty five year old man that is not uncommon.
Speaker 3: He would talk about.
Speaker 2: The success of his law firm, and he said the firm was doing so well because of the wonderful people who work there and still work there, the attorneys. The public defender called him trying to kind of test Tom Girardi's mental acuity, and he'd ask things like is your law firm still open? And ask what's my name to Tom Girardi and he would say, I don't know, bad, mean terrible, It's one of those. Girardi said he worked more than fifty hours a week, took on a bunch of big cases, like the suit against PG and E that was featured in Aaron Brockovich, But when asked about specific cases in which he was accused of stealing that money, he talked about, well, those are not the cases I did. I didn't do any misconduct, or I didn't there was no misconduct. But when asked about a specific person in this case, a guy named Joseph Ruy Gomez won a settlement of more than fifty million dollars for the burns that he suffered after that huge gas explosion you remember up in San Bruno, Girardi said he did work on the case but did not misappropriate the funds. Now Ruy Gomez was a guy who after he went all through his treatment, got hooked on painkillers. But Girardi claimed that Ruy Gomez and another client had drug problems and said the reason that he was withholding the money was because they had drug problems. That Ruy Gomez's mother told him, you can't give him a bunch of money because he'll end up killing himself, and she says sorry. Tom said, I remember that I declare under penalty of perjury. In the first week of the trial, that guy was on the stand, Ruy Gomez, and he said after the explosion, yes, he did get a lot of pain medicine and did develop a drug dependency for a year, but never authorized him to withhold money, and neither did mom. So this is a if he comes across as you know, bumbling, mumbling, spitting, slobbering on himself, it's good for the defense. But if he comes across smart capable, prosecution is going to win on that one. So all right, and we're standing by for this news conference out of Arizona where Robert F. Kennedy Junior is expected to drop out of the race. We'll talk about that when we continue. Gary and Shannon will continue right after this you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lab