Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfild Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield's joining us.
Speaker 1: In the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans items to make life easier new technology. So Michael Garfield has something you might wanta.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texan three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now your high Tech Texan, Michael Garfield.
Speaker 2: It is June of my Friends, which means one thing. I'm ready for my Father's BA and I'm sure you are too if you are a father coming up. What do we gotta We got about two weeks. People, take care of your dad's I hope my dad is not listening in Dallas right now because we were going to go through at some point. I love this show, taking your questions in your calls of the technology or non technology Father's Day gifts, and oh, by the way, if you're a graduate, I've got some stuff for you too. Michael is the name if you haven't figured that out the long running High Deck Textan show. Yes, we do talk and answer your questions and give you some recommendations on products that go beep and buzz and they need charging in batteries. But I also talk about and review cars. Oh man, I was in a big, old, unbelievable expensive Mama. If you are interested in getting dad, or you're graduate a one hundred and forty one hundred and fifty thousand dollars big ol'd mama electric suv, I've got the thing for you. I was in the Cadillac Escalade IQ Luxury Too version. By the way, yes it is not cheap, but pound for pound every week, I as you probably know, if you're a longtime listener, I do test drive a brand new vehicle from random manufacting. Not random, but dozens of different manufacturers. It's not up to me to choose. They actually send it to me. I don't get paid. It's my two cents. Done it. For fifteen years, I have done about a thousand and I'm not kidding. If you multipled out a thousand different vehicle reviews, evs, SUV, sports cars, many evans, it goes on and on or not. This year twenty twenty, we're almost halfway through twenty twenty five. This probably my top three or four vehicle that I've driven in terms of luxury man, they have some features in this thing that that even blew me away. I will give you that full review of my thoughts. Why maybe you need to start saving some shekels to uh and then maybe maybe just I know, sell two or three of your kids, morgage your entire home. This this vehicle is so big you probably could live in here if you live alone. We will talk about that. I'm let me give you the phone number to start everything off. Callum read on the other side of that glass. He may answer your phone calls. If he doesn't, and if it rolls over to voicemail, leave a voicemail. We have a right to play your voice and I can then answer your questions. We don't want to keep you holding too much. Three four six two nine eight three nine, which is three four six twenty nine texts in Just call say hi, ask me some questions. If you want to wish Dad an early happy Father's Day, leave a message to talk to me. I will give Dad a shout out like You can also reach me on social media, which I try to have corded the market, which not really, but I do have a nice following thanks to you. I am on x follow me high tech texts and Hi g h T E C h T e x A N Facebook unless I have walked you more than happy to hear from you some of the things that we are going to talk about. Last last week I talked semi extensively about in Austin what cotwall this state legislature was going on. There was a bill that would have banned social media from miners under eighteen years old. That bill did not pass Earlier this week. I will tell you why, what could it have meant? Also tell you why now maybe the time to buy a phone. That's right, despite all the tariffs and all the threat of tariffs coming in from other countries, including China. I got I'm reading some reports and I'm sipping through the you know, the reading inside the tea leaves. If you want, this may be the good time to get your butt out and buy the phone. Maybe a late Mother's Day gift. Maybe you don't want to get that graduate Hey, you know, listen, I had to go all through high school with this crappy hand me down phone, you know, mom, dad, grandmother or something. Don't you think it's time for me to get a phone. I will tell you about that. I got some cool apps to help your life, you know, be a little bit more seamlessly. And also, don't forget this is a big time of the year now that it's summer for people to move, buying new homes, renting new homes. I get this question pretty often, certainly this time of year more than others. When you move out of a home, what do you do with the smart home technology? Do you move it with you? Do you leave it for the next homeowner? If you own the house and then you sell it, can you take some of it? How tough is it to remove thermostats, smart light bulbs, change your pass world passwords? What's the process of teaching the new owner how to use this stuff? Are you? Are you obligated to give them lessons on well, how to use this, how to use that? Very good questions. We'll talk about some of the things in your home that you may forget that's smart. You may have even forgot that there, You may even forgot how to use them yourself. And so we will get through that sometimes between now and in the NBA's show, which is about two hours from right now. So whether you're listening in Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, terrestrially sometime this weekend, or if you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, you can download that free app. There's an app that's going to change your life. You can also listen to the podcast once we finish this two hour show. My man Callum he puts it up not on the burg but he puts it somewhere on a server that you can download and listen and send it to your friends over and over again. We do have one or two gift cards to give away. We love restaurants now that school is out, now that the cost of living and the cost of meals continue to escalate. I bang on doors of my good friends who own restaurants, going, hey, man, can we give some stuff away? Yes, we do. We do have some gift cards from Cobo Bob's. Oh, just one of my favorites. I love Cobo Bob certainly. Four locations in Houston, eight or nine in Austin. We've got some in San Antonio, none in Dallas, so you can travel should you end it up there. Bred Zeppelin too, if you've never been to Bread Zeppelin. Oh that's phenomenal salads, bread fresh break. We've got that for you too. I will take your calls. Looks like we've got a few on the line, but you do have to hold on to the second segment, so don't go anywhere again. Michael Garfield is the name Garf. If we are tight three four six twenty nine Texan. When we come back, I will tell you where to see me. This coming Monday morning, I do a regular weekly TV actually several TV gigs. I will be showing off a good four or five, maybe six fun products to give you some Father's Day gift ideas. Even though I'll kind of bury the lead and tell you what I'm gonna show off and think to give you some ideas. Some of them aren't too expensive. Some of them Dad may want. Some of them Dad's never even heard of. But I'll tell you what. They're gonna be much better than the typical Father's Day gifts that I used to give my father, which were a sleeve of golf balls and a coffee mug, which, by the way, my kids, if you are of a certain age, gave me the same thing too. My kids, I got a tie which I don't wear, and a coffee mug which I don't drink coffee. We're gonna personalize things for you a little bit here on the High Tech Texting Show, it is mister Michael Garfield. I do thank you for tuning in. Fire up, hang on, we'll be back in a be a minute. On the Hiway Saxon Show, I want to get things started off quickly. Told you I got a few things to give away. Man, Why plots around, man, Let's just take it. Put the pedal to the battle. People. I'm men. Give you a call, give me your phone number, call on number ten. What do you want to give away? First? Let's do bread bread Zeppelin. I know locate you if you're in Houston. They got one location, at least one location that I know of that I go to quite regularly. It's on Highway fifty nine Southless Freeway, right inside the Loop, right across from the Oasis of Love. Yes, you never know, Joel Ostein could walk in there too. They ask for some money to actually get one of the sandwiches, but you can treat him to lunch with this gift card. I'm gonna give you color number ten right now. Talk to me seven to one three two one two five nine five Oh, color number ten? You got? You got? I think it's a is it a fifteen or a twenty five dollars gift card? Either way, man, it takes care of lunch or dinner. You go in, you get one of their wonderful salads. If you want their bread sandwich, they think they bake this fresh French bread and then they kind of take the the chewy. They hold it out if you will, so it's hollow. They shove one of fifteen made salads whichever you want, and so when you eat it, you're eating like, you know, this awesome caesar salad with chicken, but it's wrapped around this bread. You can also get a bread bull if you want to too. Phone number seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh, we have a we have a winter throws up yep up. Sorry, hang out people, we got a winner. We got a winter. Don't worry. We got another gift card to another another wonderful restaurant next hour. This is what we do. It's radio people. We want to actually promote, you know, kind of. We want to dangle a carrot in front of you for your time spent listening. We want to reward you for your TSL your time spent listening, and we have for the past what twenty three years, the longest running radio program locally here on the Heritage KPRC nine fifty in Houston, relatively new in Dallas, relatively new in San Antonio, WAI. So hang over here you'll see how we work. I do not geek out. I rarely talk about megabytes and gigabytes. We make, we make tech, we make technology sexy. It's it's it's tech yology for the high tech Texan. I actually should trademark up. We should put that on a T shirt tech Yology. Of course, I don't have AI. I don't think I have a Texas accent. Does anybody think I have a Texas accent? I know my mother's got a Texas actor. She's from Austin. Talks a letter with that Texas trying very cute. I grew up on TV. I'm surprised I don't have a Cuban accent because I grew up watching I love Lucy Now. But it's tech yaw ledge here on the High Tech Textan show. Uh. Last week I talked quite a bit about this. I try not to delve into politics, and I'm serious about that. I mean, it's very you know, if I talk politics, I'm gonna get myself in trouble because I just don't know much about politics. But there are some political things that obviously revolve around technology products, gadgets, and you know how you know the government oversees them. You know, the TikTok ban. Obviously there is there going to be a bann or not. That's a government. That's a pop political thing too. Right, Well, there was a bill last week in the legislature of the state of Texas that would have banned social media for minors for kids under eighteen. Exis was poised to pass into law what would have been in one of the most restrictive sets of social media rules for miners, pretty much making it illegal for those under eighteen to be on social media. But breaking news, it failed, actually failed on a technicality when the legislature ended its session just ahead of a key vote. You see, this is why I just don't get into politics. Man. All this stuff is rigged, isn't it. House Bill one eighty six. It would have prohibited miners from creating new social media accounts on things like TikTok and Instagram and x see. The legislation also would have required age verification for everyone else creating a new account, I don't care if you're forty or fifty or sixty, you would have had to verify your age. But under this legislation, parents could ask for a miner's social media account to be deleted and a platform would be required to remove it within ten days. The lawmakers who supported the bills that it would hound through the mental health harm that social media hoses to team. The bill did pass in the House of Representatives, needed to pass the Texas Senate and get a signature from Governor Greg Abbott. Now, there was a similar law that passed in Utah last year, but it was blocked a few months later. It did not pass. Would have gone to defect September first, and let me stop here and if you want a weigh in, feel free hit me on social media because I'm over eighteen. See what I did there? Three four, six, twenty nine texted let's let's look at this two ways. Imagine this thing would have passed. And your if your a parent listening to one now, or your grandparents and in someone in your family under eighteen lives and breathe on social media, which they probably do. They didn't take their phone off, the fun away from their face. They're always looking down their thumbs and all kind of hurt, and they're and slings up because all they do is they're they're tiktoking away and their Instagram away to everything. Imagine if they've been on there two, three, four, five years but they're still under eighteen years old. Imagining them after you delete legally their social media account. If this had passed, Take the temperature in your house, how heated of a battle would it have been between mom and dad and the teenage son or daughter. And then you do it. You got two or three kids who you have wiped out and deleted the history of their TikTok, Instagram and X. That alone scares me. Talk about mental health harm, I'm talking physical health harm. If our parents, man, I put my running shoes on it, just get ready to roll, baby. That's number one. But then let's say leok's look at the older folks. Okay, I mean listen, If you're of age right now, odds are I'm guessing you probably have at least one social media account. I have a lot of them. I don't have TikTok. For example, I'm not on TikTok. Let's say all of a sudden one day that, Okay, I'm gonna jump on the barnwagon. Man, I'm gonna get the final, final, final social media account that I never have. I'm gonna get TikTok. Well, gosh, I'm gonna have to get on that. I'm gonna have to bear. What am I supposed to do? I don't know the age verification process? Am I gonna have to now take a photo of my driver's license and upload it to TikTok, which I know is currently owned by a Chinese company. Oh? I want to do that? I'm not sure. That's a tough one. Those are the effects in my mind. And that's just I'm dead. That's just top of the heap that's coming to mind right now. I mean, this law, it's been challenged in courts and provisions, and not only here Texas, as I said in Utah. So I don't know who started it, what what have I made? But at the end of the day, I guess do we take a breather or do and as we get the break over here, do you fight the fight again September when legislation starts again, are you like, well, let's get it on because I don't want my kid on there legally, you know what. And here's my final thought about this. And my kids are in their twenties and my oldest is gonna be thirty one this year. I didn't have to live through this is social media when they were young wasn't merely as big to all my three boys. I don't have any girls. I have three boys, so I didn't have I I never had to worry, you know. My concern was, at what age do they get a cell phone? At what age do they get their own computered? Are they allowed to take their own computer lap up in their room without mom and dad looking over their shoulder? Do we want to get driver's license? Things like that. It is so tough being a parent today. It's it's I can't even imagine. I have empathy for you parents right now who have teenage kids, of the mental potential harm that they see by going on social media. It stressed. It does stress me out. I use it a lot for my business. I there are so many other people who do similar things to what I do. They review technology and they write blogs, they do with other step and to me, it's like how do they beat me to the punch? How do they get this press release? And I didn't get this press release. I had this review, but I was not supposed to publish it until this time because I was under an embargo. It stresses me out just for that. I'm not even I'm not even in high school where things get even more heated. And you know how this person looks at me over here and I have too much makeup on ever hair, and my hair is done of it. It's very, very tough. God bless your parents. You have a tough battle. Did this failure of house build one eighty six, which would have prohibit and made it illegal for those under eighteen to be in social media? Did it help or hurt you raising your kids? Phone number three four six twenty nine texts. As we continue a wonderful show hanging there, don't move family time on the high tech textan show. I'll explain Michael Garfield, I hope for having a good weekend. If you're listening on the weekend, not only across Texas but around the world, thank you for tuning in or downloading the radio show. It's actually a radio show that's been recorded which then is on a podcast, So it's actually a radio show. Kids, if you don't know what radio is, it's like a podcast, but it's live or plausibly live that is broadcasted over the airwaves. That's what a radio is. But then it's recorded and then you get downloaded via iHeartRadio, Spotify, Apple or wherever. Award winning podcast or heard these kids that are And it's sad when the next generation they don't even know it radio is. I actually got into the side note over here this it's I I love talking about generations because when I cover and recommend and try to make you understand how rapidly the world of technology and gadgets and laws and rules and and just everything works, there's there is a generation there. There are my parents who are are in their eighties and who are very very smart. I mean I learned most everything that I got from my dad, who's an electrical engineer, and I mean he built, you know, televisions, he did he's kicked back of the day. I mean, he's very well tuned to what's going on. And then we've got my generation Gen X, Generation X if you will, okay, yeah, so we you know it was we he did not go to college with cell phones. We had him after college. To this generation, millennials will do whatever. I don't know, Jim ABC, whatever you call these kids nowadays, I mean they were born with I think they popped out of the womb and I you know, I think they already had a datas and sell his phone plan already already, you know they're subscribe to it. So I want to talk about TV. I was watching with a buddy of mine who who was He's also in radio. He was in TV with me. Actually, my very first job in local TV was on Channel two in Houston, the NBC affiliate, back in two thousand. I was on the morning show where I created the high tech text and my friend Don was the was a morning anchor, and we continued this day to be good friends. He was over at my house earlier this week and he's he's older than me. He's a good he's a good fifteen years older than me. Doesn't know. He does not look like it and he certainly doesn't act like it. And we were watching the Nightly News at five thirty Central time here on NBC, which as of last Friday was called NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt I've long watched five thirty news. It's the national news. I go back to the heater Jennings Dan rather those times, those were journalists, man, that was the time, without a doubt. And then recently, obviously we've got David you were on ABC. But the Lester Holt, I'm a big Leicester Holt fan. Lester Holt, if you didn't know, retired from the NBC Nightly News, not from NBC, but he as of last Friday, he is not no longer the anchor and managing editor. Tom Yamas is the new nightly news anchor and managing editor as the last Monday. So if you look in the your online guide at five point thirty on NBC, you're gonna see NBC Nightly News with Tom Yamas. I like Tommy Yamas. He's been a good reporter. I've seen him do it and so I've watched him in the first few days of this week. So my buddy and that we were done and I were just watching these things and we're talking about who watches the nightly news. I don't want you to think about this, And if you want to weigh in people you know, feel free you can email me. Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. You can call in right now three four six two nine eight three nine six, or go to you find me on x You can find me on Instagram or whatever on High Tech Texas. Who watches it? I watch it. My buddy Don watches it. Because we're fifty and older and we're kind of talking about do kids don't even know? I don't think nightly news exists. My three boys, maybe my oldest is thirty, he's aware of it. But generation, the new generation, they don't consume news like that. They may not even have a TV. They get their news TikTok, scrolling Instagram, listening to a podcast, rumor at the coffee shop, even though you shouldn't be drinking coffee if you're under freaking eighteen at least. But that's just old school me. But that's what they do do. They watch the nightly news and sit down. And then we're watching the nightly news and we talked about how much it's changed, you know, let's go back. I go back to Peter Jennings, who was I mean to me that he was ABC News and Dan rather CBS, uh, and it's it's those were the times in the days where there was nightly news and yes, there was death and there was destruction and whatever. Now NBC always ends it with and the good news tonight, which okay, I can see what they're trying to do. They're trying to position or what will. But nowadays it was look at the opening. Do you if you listen to the top of my show thirty minutes ago when I opened it up, did you hear when ie how I opened the show? And what we do in media, we learn you have to tease. It's called the tea's You have to give people a little idea of what you're gonna hear and what you're gonna watch. And my teas was it's Father's Day, it's graduate, it's graduates. I'm gonna talk about some of the things to review, and I'm gonna talk about Oh, by the way, now maybe the time to buy a phone, and I'll tell you why. And by the way, do you have a smart home? If you're getting ready to move, do you take the smart features out of your home and move them with you or you leave it? That was a tease and I will pay them off between now in the next hour and twenty minutes, I'll talk about it the nightly news on NBC go. I'd love them. It's only thirty minutes. There was a solid two minutes, if not two and a half minutes of the tease donning a dun dun donner a dun dun d day, Good evening, I'm Tom Yamas tonight on the NBC. And even five seconds here boom, tornadoes sweeping across a scrunchy boom, the fire bomber in Colorado. Boom, Trump did this, boom, Elon must did this. But and it kept going on. I'm like, are you gonna start the freaking news? Then they do about four I tell you, I three stories. The second story is alive reporter somewhere where they do a talk back. Tommy almost ask them a question. Then there's the commercials. Let's talk about commercials. Listen. I love commercials. Commercials are the reason we exist on radio. By the way, we're gonna take a commercial break, probably in about another five minutes, and we do appreciate you shopping and taking our advice of whatever you hear. By the way, this horse of my show, we're brought to you by US Coins and Jewelry, Houston, Texas, right on the Kadie Freeway Father's Day. If you're looking for a rolex, that's where you need to go. You see, sweet simple, we get in and out. Now I go back to content. That's why commercials exist. You know what type of commercials almost solely or on the nightly news. Think about it. Pharmaceutical ads. Pharmaceutical ads. This person's got indigestion, this person's got a prostate issue. This person can't conceive this person getting whatever it is. Why it's because the demographic of who watches the freaking nightly news. Anybody who's of age forty fifty sixties and you keep on going. They're on some sort of a mitigation. Why not reach where you're going to exactly? I dig it. I don't mind. It's other than you know, it's it's free. I don't pay a subscription specifically for NBC, ABC and CBS to watch the MIV news. Yes, I play a subscription for my cable. I can get it for free over the air. It's what you get. You are not paying for this radio station right now. It is free. Our gift to you, thank you Marconi for creating radio. It is free. All we ask is that you take a few minutes of time each hour and just listen to our commercials and then we get back into content. Anyway, maybe this is a rant. It's just times have changed. And I guess the what Don and I and these two curmudgety old got Well I'm not old. But anyway, we came to surmise that at what point does national TV news and for that point, maybe local TV news just not exist? And I'll open it up as we get to a commercial break coming up here. At what point are is the technology that you use on a regular basis doesn't exist? Cars and vehicles or technology. That's why I review them, and I have reviewed them for fifteen years. If you have a new car that's certainly fifteen years old and with one hundred percent, well certainly ten years old and no more the bells, the whistles, the cameras, the sensors, it is technology on top of technology. It helps us to drive, It helps us try to avoid res and accidents and incidents with the safety features what have you. But when will it become obsolete that we don't dip behind the driver's wheel. When aren't we in that driver's seat? And that's where the self driving veles come in, folks. That's a segue because when we come back, we're going to talk about self draw self driving vehicles, specifically ride sharing vehicles. Ride sharing because the state of Texas, I'm not saying, was one of the last to adopt it. But if you are in the major cities of Houston, in Dallas, and absolutely Austin, and Austin is the key out of ground because driverless ride sharing companies are all over the place. And that's right if you haven't seen them around Houston. Way Moo is one of them, just launched in Houston, in Dallas too, But we're gonna talk specifically about Austin and a few more cities. Would you trust that would you get behind a car? And in your lifetime would you ever buy a vehicle that doesn't even have a steering wheell it just lets AI and robots and really the hand in trust of God to get you from point A to point B. That's some of the things where we happen about it right here. Michael Garfield is the name. It is Deep high Tech Texan Shoo money. How I go down one path, I start talking and then I go just got a zig zag. Michael Garthur. We're back the final segment, this first hour of the High Tech Texting Show. Happy first full week of June, two weeks to Father's Day. And I don't even know if I'd even recommended one Father's Day get yet I'm getting on your emails, what phone, what TV? What car? Oh? I got it? I got one about someone wants to car wants me to Okay, there are suggestion there about the BUYO more than I could answer. That's the standby. I was talking about kids and families and generations. How technology skips this generation, how the generation or two before is they don't know what a newspaper you know? It goes on and on. I was getting with this. I saw this. I have three of my longtime very good friends, their neighbors. I grew up with them, all of our kids pretty much the same age. There was like four families that hung out together, and I was one of the families, and these three other families that those three of the four families now have one of the kids who are engaged to be married. And it all happened within about a month and a half of each other. Recently, I am the only one. None of my kids have got engaged and I'm cool with that. There's no rush whatsoever. So we got weddings next year. Got boom, boom boom. We got three weddings next year. Simpoint, who are the same age as my kids? Which is fine. I mean they're they're in their upper twenties and they're all working, and then that's fine, that's great. They should be started family. Great. Byway, we're going to you know, I got I gotta start. It's so sad going the wedding alone. Anybody want to go to a wedding with me next year? Stand by? Say look, this is my on air dating app instead of online dating app. Hey, that's actually a good idea. Tell them right dead down what I'm gonna start a segment. I'm gonna I'm gonna start the first on air. Does anybody ever do an on air dating app? I don't know. We'll talk about that anyway, got three weddings next year, And what do you what do you get for presents? Something that I certainly know of because my job is to suggest gift giving. But I saw this, I guess you've been out of the loop. I don't go to a lot of weddings. And here's the headline I'm gonna I'm gonna give credit to the USA today. Forget the registry. Belples want wedding guests to help with their home down payment. Number one, the average wedding cost. Anyone, any guesses, and he guesses over under the average cost? Think about it? Yeah, five seconds. What's the cost average wedding? Thirty six thousand dollars? Average home down payment? Buy a home? What's the average home down payment? Anyone hint? It's more than a wedding anyone? Fifty five thousand dollars. This is according to real estate data. Okay, rising interest cost inflation? All right, can you have? Can you have a wedding averaging thirty six dollars? Then you want to buy a home? Fifty five thousand dollars? Just put down payment. So apparently there's a rising number of engaged couples who want cash for a house from their wedding guest. Hey, forget about the air fryers. Hey, you know that fancy gravy bowl that we want registered to, you know, for over there at at the store. Nope, don't worry about it. I need a blender. Oh, I want a blender in some kitchen towels. Ah, I want some cold, hard cash because we want to put a house for sale. Here's a survey. Six thousand couples were registered. Eighty seven percent are asking for cash, forty one percent specifically requesting it for a home down payment. Man, times have changed. I guess now instead of recommending which type of air fryer or blender, or which I can do, I'm gonna say, well, here's a good mortgage rate. Why don't you go with this bank, And I'm gonna go ahead and deposit something for you. It's just it's just cold, you know what, people I I I love gift cards. If somebody wants to get me a gift, I love a gift card because I can use it for whatever I want. But a lot of people think it's just so impersonal. I want to give something that they will that you really want. Really, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. But I had a had a birthday earlier this year, and and I am not kidding it. I got a nice little amount of gifts. I probably got a dozen gifts or so. I didn't ask for these gifts. Whatever, We've really good friends. Every single gift was a bottle of bourbon? Why? Because they know I love bourbon. I'm a bourbon kind of sewer. I collect bourbon, I display bourbon, I teach bourbon cool. And most all of them were small brands I have yet never heard of, and I've wanted to try. It's just awesome. And I sat there the next day counting my blessings just to have friends like that in the thoughtfulness. But I'm thinking, man, how much more bourbon do I need? I mean, I got more bourbon that I could actually host a wedding or do it by myself. Maybe you know, I would have liked some running shoes from my cabin. You know, maybe there is something, I mean, gift car would be nice. Gosh. I hope nobody who gave me a bottle of bourbon is listening right now, because I love you, and I thank you, and come over and have a drink with me. The point is it's just mortgage down payment for mortgages. Yes, it's cold, but the point is I can appreciate these kids who actually wanting to move move into a home and trying to do things that will help them. It is not cheap. There is nothing really that is inexpensive in the world, and certainly what is going down in the United States of our great America. Why not how many times there is not? It may be again, I haven't had a kid who got married yet or got engaged yet, but all three of my buddies who has kids getting who just got they got engaged, every single one, and easily with the past ten fifteen years. When I have other friends who've gotten their kids are getting engaged. I don't know if the joke or not, but they always say I offered him money instead of a wedding. They could have a money or they could have a wedding, and you know, it's kind of a joke. It's like wedding like that. But apparently, at least the friends I hang out with, they all want a wedding. They want the bride to be wearing wine, they want to walk down the AIP doesn't need to be fans, he doesn't need to be extravagant. Maybe they want to have only fifteen to twenty people. Some of them they want four hundred people whatever. Nope, they want it. And there's the parents shaking their heads. I told them I'd give I'd write them a check instead. Of the wedding. Nope, you know kicks. Uncle Gurphy's got the little news for you. Over here you found your love of your life. Hopefully take the freaking money. Mom and Dad want to help out. Parents want to help out, and you think you want a wedding that averages what did I just say? Thirty six thousand dollars? Even if mom and Dad offer you half in cash, Hey, you could up with thirty six dollars the wedding or just you know, screw it. Was just I don't want to go through the rigg road. Just here, take take eighteen thousand, Take three, take the cash, take the cat, have some friend and then come out to my house and celebrate with bourbon. Once again. Michael Garfield to freaking rescue, figuring out your life for you. What else I can do? I hope you had the good first hour. Next hour, I promise to get down to the nitty gritty. I'm gonna tell you some ideas for Dad's day. I'm going to tell you why now may indeed be the time to buy a phone, despite the fact that tariffs may be here. And then I'll give you some phones together. There's a TV somebody wants to know about a car. I'll give the car this dude who wrote me an email. I'll actually read the email. I'll suppress the name though. I want to hang out with this dude. He hadn't bought a car in eighteen years. I'll tell you how much you getting ready to spend on the car. All back I'll give away, and your questions coming up an hour two A deep Ideas.
Speaker 1: It's Michael Garfield, Michael Garfield, Garfields joining us and the high Tech Texan.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is here with a high tech Texans. It was to make life.
Speaker 1: Easier some new technology.
Speaker 2: So Michael Garfield has something you might want.
Speaker 1: Michael Garfield is your high tech Texan. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets, occurred worldwide on the iHeartRadio Act. Now your high tech Texan. Michael Garfield halfway through.
Speaker 2: The high Tech Texts and people. One hour down, one hour ago, which means we are half wait happy hour. What are you talking about the first week of June? People, it's happy hour all day, open up by the fool, listening, having a cocktail, not driving as you should. I talked about bourbon this last segment, but I love bourbon. I'm a bourbon. I'm a bourbon snob. I'm happy to say it. It's the only thing I'm snobbish about. Really. I collect bourbon. I drink bourbon. Bourbon is not a it's not a drink to drink at the pool. It's just to me. Try to avoid bourbon in any brown water during the day. It's just not you don't want to mix that with sun, and it's just you don't want to do that. And actually you probably never want to drink bourbon. It is so people think it's a quiet taste, it's a sipping thing and it'll get you jacked up. And that's not a pun because Jack Daniels is not a bourbon. And if you know anything about anything, you know that is a true fact. Michael with a name, Michael Garfield. Let me give you a phone number to say hi, ask questions. Father's Day is coming up, by the way. If Dad likes bourbon brown water, why don't you love to hear from you? More than happy to give you a few brown a few brand suggestions. I just don't do tech. I do bourbon. I do spirits three four six twenty nine, Texan three four six two nine eight three, nine two six, Hello to Houston, San Antonio in Dallas. If you're listening terrestrially over the era radio on iHeartRadio. If nine you can download the iHeartRadio app, which you may already have, and you're listening to me somewhere around the world. It is a worldwide show speaking of spirits, found a new spirit to drink. It is a It's a rum. I like rum, very very sugary, obviously, because by nature it's either you know, it's either molasses, believe it or not. Most all rooms are made up from molasses. Some you're gonna find pure sugar. Can uh. This is not an endorsement over there, but CARDI happens to make this and I do not. There may be other brands that make it. It is called it's a dragonberry flavor. I'm not getting you, and I think I don't even know is dragonberry an actual fruit? Somebody googled that for me. I think my vegan son likes dragon bearer. I'm not sure. I don't even know, but I don't know what dragon bear is. It's it's dairy, fake flavored. It's very sweet because it's rum. Oh, it's good it's good. Put a little lemonade in there. Put a little diet grape soda. Oh, it's good. That's that is. That's a pool time drink. Don't drink brown water during the day. Drink something like that. Something sweet, you know, Pi nikolata is whatever like that. I like this dragonberry type of thing. Just a little something from me to you. Three four six twenty nine. Texan Father's Days coming up this coming Monday, if you were in Austin, I will be on Fox seven as I am every Monday morning with my little high Tech Texan Report segment. I'm going to be showing off a number of different Father's Day gift ideas. Some of them are not too expensive. Nothing's really really too I mean, I'm not showing off a car. Nothing's too expensive. One of which is a brand new tablet and is not an iPad because I really don't do Apple things. And I'm allowed to say it right now because I was under embargo. I couldn't say or even mention it until last Thursday of June fifth, But now I had I've had it for at least a week and a half, but I couldn't talk about it. I can now I'll be showing off. It's a company called one plus, which I'm very familiar with. I like one plus O N E P l U S. It is a company out of China. I have at least the last two iterations of their smart watch, which I really like. I also have passed two or three of their phones. I think they're on the one plus thirteen great Android phone, like not. They just came out with their third version of their tablet. It is called the one plus Pad three brilliant Android based tablet, great bright screen, easy to use. I've got a little an e pen, a little electric pencil that I could sit there, and I don't use those things a lot. I think that's an oh. By the way, you don't need to spend extra on that. I also got a little uh detachable keyboard, which is nice. I particularly don't use tablets for typing massive things. I usually I use tablets mostly when I'm gonna I always take it on a plane because that's it. I got a twelve inch high colored bright screen touchscreen to watch movies, live TV and everything when I'm on my Southwest Airlines. Uh. Really good battery of life for this, and very durable and in certainly when you look at the price, you know, compared to you know, the iPads, these, I think these these, I think it run's about I think it's six hundred dollars chick out. It's one plus dot com one plus three. That's what it is now. They're always gonna have some specials in deal too. That's one of the things I'm gonna talk about. Get that a tablet don't have the new fangles setting up computers or laptops side, but they also have lap Do you want a laptop and all on one computers? I got that too. What else am I bringing? I am bringing some headphones. Dad may want some headphones. Dad may not like. But these are also for graduates too. Dads and grads. They may not want earbuds, they want headphones full have us. You do not need to spend an arm in a leg for headphones. Oh yeah, you gotta have the Beat. Gotta have the Beat headphones Apple all they know you really don't. No, So I got a pair that I've been using that are very comfortable. They are full cans as we say, which means they go over your ears. They're padded, they are yes, they're wireless and they are active noise canceling, and right now they're no more than about eighty eight dollars. And as I go to this website, I think there's even a code you can use. It is from a company called the onemore dot com. The number one mo O r E. It's the one more so no flow pros n s O n O f l O w SO no flu pro wireless active noise canceling. They sound great, they fold up. They come in a case USPC chargeable, eighty eight bones, really good sound ratio, ultra wide frequency, good response, high performance headphones, immersive sound, active noise canceling, which means a baby crying on the plane and you rarely can hear the thing. Eighty eight bucks. It's not cheaper. Okay, that's what I do. I trying to save your money. Over here. I had, Oh here's what I'm not gonna bring. I ran that this was this ran last week and I can't bring these here because they're in my backyard. Dad is a barbecue griller. Right real quickly, I reviewed not one, but two high tech barbecue grills. High tech I played with a Hamada Joe, but specifically the newest version called the Connected Joe. That's a with a k Ao n N. It's the whole Connected Joe. It's got this little brain. It's got a little digital readout, it's got the probes. It sets the temperature. It's got an app that uses AI. You can pull up a menu going I want barbecue, chicken, skewers, whatever, and you put it on the app. It automatically sends it to the grill. It knows when to put it on. It beeps and tells you when it's ready. Not cheap. It's about two thousand dollars. It's very heavy Connected Joe, but it's a Commodo style cooker. You can cook, you can cook desserts, you can actually make it a real grill. Very nice, not cheap. The other one from a company called brisk It, very cute. Right, two words b r I sk brisk It Okay, brisk it grills. You go to brisk you know, brisket grill. So it's a brisket grills dot Com I reviewed that one five hundred and fifty dollars or so. This is a pellet grill, just like your trigger, but this also has a little smart AI artificial intelligence app tell it what you want. That's my first time I've ever used a pellet grill, and I've had this thing for a few months and I did a side by psych comparison, did about a four and a half five minute TV segment. If you want to see it, go to my website high tech Texan dot com. H I G H T E C H T E x A N. Also, I believe it or not, I actually have a YouTube channel too. Look for Michael Garth to look for high Tech Texan AKA. You could see it and it shows you the difference between the two. They're very simple to use, obviously, be brisket pellet much cheaper, five hundred and fifty versus the two thousand. But these things then now it's almost two it's almost too tough to jack it up. To screw it up. You really have to be an absolute horrific person in the kitchen or in the outdoor grill who apps has no attention span, because when the app buzzes andes says get that piece of meat off the grill, you disregard. No, no, just listen to it. Effortless. Actually, I think that's one of the slogans. It's an effortless would pellet grill to brisket? So do I something to get dad? And the meat thing is snap. Remember when charcoal grills, you're still like, take forever to fire up. Nope, these things far up in just an instant. Check that out when we come back, your calls, your questions, and a review of the vehicle of the week that I was driving. I'm a high take text show, just like that booming voice. Sit it is me is Michael Garfield. We're tight. Feel free to use my nickname Garth baby g A r F. Also call and say hi, leave a voicemail. We could Eric and I answer your questions if we're busy. Three four six two nine eight three nine two six. That's three four six twenty nine texts and you see what I did there, All across the iHeartRadio network, across that app around the world, and also KPRC nine to fifty, Houston News Radio twelve hundred, WAI and Talk Radio eleven ninety in Dallas three most populous city in Texas. We are here for you. We've got Callum read here on the other side of the glass, punching buttons and trying to keep us on the air. And also trying to answer your questions, and so we do thank you for that. I do drive cars and vehicles, and I test drive them every single week. I do not get paid for this, and so I can rag on them or love them whatever you want. Looking for a dad's a grads a gift present? Well, who's got money? How much money would you be willing to spend on your dad? Probably not as much as if dads or moms spend on graduation gifts, because I've seen I've seen some parents give give graduations some cars. How much do you want to you want to spend one hundred and thirty hundred, forty hundred fifty doll Well, if not, ere Muffett, because we got about two or three minute conversation. Because I last week was driving around the twenty twenty five had a lac Escalade. IQ heard of that one. You've heard of the Cadillac Escalade. This is the Escalade, which is a big Mama three to row seven passenger suv. Oh, by the way, the IQ means it's all electric, that's right. I was in an electric massive suv four hundred and sixty mile range between charges, seven hundred and fifty horse power with that two hundred and five kilowatt battery. First thing I noticed was how big this is. And by the way, I pulled up to the galleria this week and some couple walking to the car literally stopped look at me and they yelled, hey, hey, I love your car, And of course I said, huh thanks. Little do they know that I had to turn it in two days later because I get these things only for one week. Point is it's a head turner. You look around the outside and it is big. These wheels sixty one psi they hold I think like forty four inch wheels. They're huge, tons of rome. But it had some features in there would blew me away, one of which I sit in. And you know how those infotainment screens, you know, you know, you could touch you can see it's in the gently in the middle, so it's the driver and the passenger can reach and touch it, and you could radio, and you've got the air conditioning and the seats and everything like that. Yes, this has the center touch screen, but across the entire dashboard right above it, from the left side to the right side, the left pillar to the right pillar, there is an entire curved fifty five inch diagon to display. It goes all the way from left to right, anything that you need to know. It's got the heads up display for the driver. He shows how fast you're going, It shows your RPM, it shows you whatever you're listening to on the radio. Everything on the right side the passenger, right above the glove box. You know what exactly, there's a TV. There's a TV screen. There's a monitor where the passenger can plug in his or her phone via HDMI or stream something to the phone and watch TV. Uh you're thinking of gosh, isn't it illegal to have a TV or a monitor in the front seat. Yes, but thanks to a very unique screen, the driver cannot see what's on the passenger scene because it's you know, kind of got a little coating over there. So now the passenger has their unscreen. The two seats in back, which are facing the back seats of the front driver and passenger, they have their own screens about what twenty inches wide, so they can watch it and generally kids sit back there. Yes, there's Wi Fi. Yes, there's Bluetooth. There's so many controls. Oh wait a minute, I'm not even done out of the front seat. Let's get back in the front seat. It's so big and heavy. Sometimes these doors are massively, very tough to either open or close, so in way the first two times I get in it, I sit there and I've got long arms, and I reach it. I'm pulling. The door closed a little heavy, and it gets almost to close. It kind of stops itself, and then the last inch or two kind of closes itself. I'm like, oh wow, this is nice because I don't need to slam this thing. It closes and locks it by myself. What I found out it does better than that. All you need to do is reach out and just touch the freaking door. The entire door closes. You don't even need to start it. It starts and finishes the closing the doors. And when you hit from the outside, you just kind of touch the thumb little thing and just like instead of pulling, the door opens up itself. Pretty pretty cool. Oh wait a minute, I'm not done. It's got a massive moonroof sunroof. Moonroof. Now it doesn't open and slide open. I'm fine with that. I don't use moon roof too much. Generally moonroofs they have this thing that slides to block the sun. Sometimes they're manually. You have to reach up. You gotta slide all the way back. Nowadays cars they have front to back, very long moon roofs and sun roofs, and so there's no way that you can physically slide it back. If you're in the driver's seat, it's not gonna reach other back. So they have little buttons you could do it all right. This one does not have anything that slides back. So I get in the car and I look up and I see this massive, long, beautiful moonroof. I mean it goes from the fire. I mean this thing must easily must be four and a half five feet long of beautiful plate glass. I'm looking up and I'm seeing the sun and everything, and I'm looking at I'm trying to figure out it's too sunny, man, How do I slide this thing to get closed? And looking I still can't figure it out. I even had to freaking go online in Google. How do you close the moon roof on a twenty twenty five Cadillac Escalade IQ doesn't come with one. Nope, It's got a button which is not easy to find on the infotainment screen. As you touch it, the glass is tinted, it becomes darker itself. Mah, you could say it's like seventy five percent darkness, one hundred percent darkness, zero percent darkness. Oooh who. It's got supercrews, which means you could take your hands and your foot off the wheel when you're driving on certain highways and byways around the country. A lot of GM lot of cars have that too, because it's an electric vehicle. It's got a front, which means it's got a trunk in the front trunk which we call a front. It's got a massive well behind the third row seat. There's decent storage. You put the third row seat down, you got really good stories. You put the second and third row streets down. You got a king sized bed back there. You could fit not kidding you. I like the long range four hundred and sixty miles on a single charge, this interior forty speaker sound system with the fifty five inch touch green which I told you, I mean it's huge. It's got a wheelbase of about one hundred and thirty six inches. It is very heavy. Weighs ever nine thousand pounds, which does a lot of that is battery. It can toe, can toe about eight thousand pounds. But it's fast because it's electric. Goes from zero sixty and what they say, and I didn't time at four point seven seconds. You imagine a nine thousand pound vehicle going zero sixty and four point seven seconds. The one I particularly had it was called the Luxury two. That's there. That's another model has a little red V, the letter V on the steering wheel. And I'm looking at this thing. What is it? What is this the thing? And why is it read? It's the V mode. It's velocity max. Hit this little V button, A little V icon is gonna appear on your driver information center. It's gonna give you even more horsepower and more torque to make it faster. I only tried it once, and I'd made sure I was on a five lane highway and there was no one around me. Got speed racer. All this can be yours kids, if you graduate, you get the doctor gree and someone spends one hundred and forty thousand dollars. Now again, listen, I had the one that has packed with absolutely every accouterment that you can have. But this thing was a monster, easily one of the top three vehicles I have driven. This is not paid. I don't. I'm not gonna tell you where to go get it because I don't even know a Cadillagic dealership. This is what I do. If they deliver these cars every week. Next week, I'm gonna be in probably a Chevy next week, I'm gonna probably be the w the week after that. I'm a number second. I drive all this other stuff. But dang man, who it was pretty cool? Mom and Pop? What do you think you gonna get it? Talk to me over here, Michael Garfield. We're gonna be back. When we come back, time to give away something. We're gonna give Dad a Cobo Bob gift card. I'll tell you how to win that, and also a little bit more cars. If you have a Ford, uh oh, your car may have just been recalled with something you don't know. I will tell you top that right here on the High Tech Texans Show. Hey, some of you have sat and listened to me for the last hour and a half. I gotta reward you all right, who wants something? Hey Dad, Happy Early Father's Day. Graduates. You can go get a snack, because I know it ain't cheap to go get some lunch to dinner. Cabo Bob's ah Cobo Bob's tech Smacks. They're based out of Austin, lots of them all around Austin, four of them here in the Houston area, one in San Antonio, Dallas. Hopefully you're gonna get one soon. Doesn't matter. You can win it as long as you're listening. Your number ten. You got a twenty five dollars gift card Cabo BaHaB seven one, three, two, one, two, five and nine five. Oh, thanks to my good friends Lori Arnold Rios. They kind of run the entire Houston sector. But these cards are good all across the state. If you can find the Cabo Bob's, go in you go get those unbelievable I am addicted. I'm not addicted really to anything in life. I mean I'm not. I love my bourbon, I'm not addicted to bourbon. I love a ESPN, I'm not addicted to it. I'm closed. But I'm addicted to their Destata chips. Love. There are tortilla chips that are just absolutely fried right there. They are so thick. Get some queso, get some guacamole, Get the freshly made tortillas right in front of your eyes. Choose from five different tortillas, and you could put chicken, which is made by the way, on a kamata. Joe told you ten minutes ago I was reviewing it. Come out of Joe for Father's Day. It's the kamata TOAs the smallest men. They got chicken, they got beef, they got barbo CoA, they've got fish fried fish. Oh, it's phenomenal. We have a winner. Stop calling seven one. I'm not gonna give you the fun number. Thank you. Each week for a while we've given out a Cobo Bob gift card, and so odds are you're gonna see me generally you're gonna see me one on the southwest side of Houston. I am there way too much with my tortilla chip fresh tortilla chip fetish. That's what I was at, a fetish. I don't know. It's a problem and I need to stop that body by K s O and Chips. That's actually a T shirt I have here. It is Michael Garfield. It's called the High Tech Texan Show. I just gave you a pretty extensive full review of the Ultimate Father's Day Gift or Dad's or graduation Gift. It was the one hundred and forty thousand dollars plus Cadillac Escalade IQ, which is the three row, seven seat electric vehicle. If you just missed that, give me about twenty or thirty minutes. It will be on iHeartRadio app where you can listen to the repeat podcast of this show. Thank you, Callum Reid. Just look for high Tech Texan or Michael Garfield. Listen to that. But I do cover the tech car industry, certainly the car industry too. Ford just issued a major recall due to a rearview camera glitch. Oh man, I thought technology was here to help us. Now they're glitching for us. How many does this effect? Oh not too many cars? Just one point one million vehicles. They just recalled due to a rearview camera gletch. Does your Ford have a rearview camera? So apparently Ford models released across three years here to have an issue affecting the usability of the review camera features software era. Apparently they couldn't fix this over the air. They couldn't fix this with a software update. You may have to want to bring it in. Yes, some are electric, Yes some are hybrid. It was a problem that could result in accidents in property damage. As I read this just word for word. I want to make sure I get it right. Was released between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty five. Were named in the recall, which Ford did submit to the National Highway Transportation and Safety Association. So has it been recalled? Let me quickly run through these things. Actually it's not as many as they thought. Let me just give you some brands. If you have a Ford Bronco A F one fifty and Ford Edge between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, recalled Ford Escape F two, fifty f three, fifty f four to fifty f five to fifty f six hundred of it. You didn't even know that? Make does Released in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, recalled Ford Expedition, Lincoln Navigator twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four recalled Ford Ranger, Ford Mustang twenty twenty four recalled in the Ford mock e released between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty three, recalled sorry about that. Don't know how long they were just they were named. They will be updated by a dealer free of charge. You may have gotten a letter. If not think about that. Go to the website. It is the NHTSA dot gov, n h ts A dot g o V. That's where you actually should bom mark that thing. Check out your vehicle, no matter what it is. But that was that was the fourth thing I hate hearing that I don't know if I have I ever, I'm trying to think of if I really I have one card that I've had for twenty years and I don't remember having it recalled. But it's such a pain because back in the day you had to take it to a dealer. I mean, I mean, you gotta get off work and you gotta think and you gotta leave it. Then how long is it take bh.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah if it's generally nowadays they can do software updates over the air, which means if you have like on Star or whatever type of service that you.
Speaker 2: Have, you get down it. It's it's like a radio. I mean your your your car receives radio signals. Your car can receive you know, satellite radio signals. Your car can receive data. They could be downloaded and upgrading. A lot of the other stuff can't. And apparently this one may not have it gosh, hey, they to actually say that. If you do have questions about cars, if you oh one more, got an email, got an email from uh, we're gonna His name is Kurt. Kurt is in Houston. Kurt is in Houston. Let me let me give you the I want to say this Barbadim. Kurt responded to Kurt. I answered this because I answer almost all these calls. Where is Kurt? If you want to email me, you can go to actually on my website. Oh here it is, go to website high tech Texting dot com and you, you know, send an email to Michael. This is from Kurt. No. I'm yeah, we're gonna call hi Kurt. Let's just keep it at that. Hey, Garth, my wife wants to splurge on our first new car in eighteen years. What do you think about the Mercedes S five eighty. It's only about one hundred and ten thousand dollars. I think your wife is gonna like that, Kurt. Hell, yeah, man, you don't buy a car in eighteen years save up now. The S five eighty a very good car, and actually it's the flagship model of the S Sedan series. It is a good car. It is comfy. It is very powerful for what it is. The only and this is what I responded to him, the only thing that sticks out to me when I did see it, sit in it and test drive it quickly. I'm not a fan of and I'm not just harping on Mercedes, but Mercedes does this more than other manufacturers nowadays because of that beautiful, full large color infotainment screen with the touch screens. Right, they're removing buttons, physical buttons and knobs. Yes, I'm an og I'm the old guy. I like a knob to turn up the volume and turn down the volume. I like the buttons that push. I don't care if they have haptic feedback. I like the program man. Maybe they don't program my radio stations, but air conditioning. I want to be able to touch all this stuff. You're not seeing these on a lot of vehicles. They think they're gonna save money by not putting knobs, and they're gonna put all the information that the buttons and a menu and a sub menu and then in a sub sub menu on that touch screen. And that Mercedes S by eighty is one of those. I mean you have to drill down to get to some of the most mundane things, like to store radio station, you could probably have to push eight buttons, which, by the way, one of the things I didn't actually tell you, and don't laugh. The Cadillac Escalade IQ, the massive suv that I was in last week that I reviewed. I tried to open the glovebox. And I've seen this on probably once out of every fifteen vehicles that really really new ones, high tech ones. You know how to open a glovebox. Almost in every glovebox you've ever been in, there is a latch that you just gotta pull the glovebox falls open. The Cadillac Escalate IQ, the electric vehicle, does not have any latch. There is no button. You cannot physically pull, touch, push something anywhere near the glovebox. So how in the world do you open it? It took me a minute or two. Guess what. Go to the infotainment screen, find the proper screen, and then hit menu, sub menu, go down and boom. That's right, you have to touch the touch screen to open the glovebox. I don't like that. That's a pain. Is that going to stop me from buying a car? No? But dang it to pain. It really really is but anyway, Kurt, for example, thank you so much. Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. That's how you're gonna find me. Do you want something? I don't care. If it's a car, I don't care. If it's a barbecue grill, I don't care. If it's just any old question. Coming up the final segment day of the High Tech Texting Show. Do you use voice to text yet? Do you use your voice to text or you still use your thumbs? It's an app actually that's gonna make voice to text a lot smarter, even smarter than the app that you have not testing your phone, but also your desktop too. Talk about that final segment coming out pre Father's Day, pregraduation, little segment, little show, yeah called the high Tech text It's Michael Garfield. Look at this. We made it to the final one, final segment of this week's first week of June High Tech Texting the Show. Next week we're gonna do the same thing one week to go at well, it's actually two weeks from Father's Day, and I know a lot of graduations are happening, and I do sincerely congratulations tell them the people listen. I got a cousin second cousin of mine in Florida just graduated fifth grade. Her great you know, my uncle and aunt there. You know, her grandparents went all the way from Texas to visit the fifth grade graduates. I mean, it's whatever, you graduating from fifth grade, high school, college, getting ready to get on your own. Seriously, congratulations in good luck, I mean, and I have to say it. You know it used to be good luck. Now it's like good luck. That's sad. You have to actually put that stink on him, man, because good luck. With what's going on in the world, in the economy right now, I'm not gonna give out the phone number because I do want to get to a few things that I did promise told you right now that don't if you're thinking about buying a smartphone, tariffs are coming. You know what's gonna happen. Now may not be a good time to wait. This actually could be a decent time to buy a phone. And I'll tell you why. I was looking at some of the numbers over here. The US and China.
Speaker 4: They're going to drive smartphone shipment growth despite these tariffs, which means China makes these phones, they're mostly going.
Speaker 2: To be shipped to the US in China, but there's not there the shipman. You know, you generally think, Okay, we're gonna make more and more of these phones. We're gonna ship them. Oy uah. The growth is only going to be point six percent year over year because of the economic challenges. It's gonna it make cost more money to make these phones. Are people gonna be buying the phones? You know? You go back to April second. I think when all of a sudden it was the first tariffs are coming out here in the United States, there was so much uncertainty, and I think there still is more uncertainty. So what this means in terms of availability and prices, I think less people are buying over the past what two months ins April second, they haven't been buying phones. And now that a lot of these smartphone manufacturers they may not be making a lot anymore. Now maybe the time before the price is go up, not even just because of tariffs. Now maybe the time to buy it. I'm not gonna tell you which ones to buy. There's a number of them over there. I mean Google Pixel just came out, they had their nine and a lot of the iPhone is seventeen coming out later this year, that could be obvious. You know, the iPhone seventeen when it comes out in October, it could boost shipments and sales because last year was the iPhone sixteen was the top selling smartphone for that first quarter of twenty twenty five globally. My guess is the twenty iPhone seventeen uh grades, they're expected to do fairly well. But you can't control growth protections, you can't control cell fie prices. Whatever is important that you have to do is best for your wallet. So if you're thinking you're buying a cell phone, now, maybe the time so graduate you're graduating, graduating college because you had the same phone for four years, mom and dad. Or if you're buying it you're pulling your money together, now maybe the time to do it. You don't want to wait till later, because I still I can't. No one's gonna protect what's happening with the tariffs, what's happening with the growth. So that's number one I wanted to talk about. So I talk about this and I don't have a lot of time to get into it. I really do apologize. I talk about moving. This is the time of the year when people move. What do you do if has this happened to you? You're moving? What do you do with all of these smart home features that you have built in and baked into your house? Moving the loan could already be a huge issue, a headache. You throw in all the connected gadgets that you have, your doorbells, your thermostat, your cameras. Do you need a factory reset them? Do you need to uninstall them? Do you take them with you? Deciding what to do with your smart home when you move, it just adds a whole other layer of complexity to what's already difficult. How about that smart lock? Did you put a smart lock on your front door? What do you do with the old wine? Are you gonna take your smart luck off and take it to your new house? What about all the smart lighting? I mean, when I moved to my home, I upgraded everything to LED. That's all I have is smart lighting. You know I don't need to leave it over there, But some of you you self installed it. Did you take the dumb lighting put it in your garage? Just do it while you put the smart lighting up? Are you gonna get reverted back? Is it better to replace your thermostat with a non smart one, or you know what, Dad, screw it, just leave it, buy a newer version for your home, speakers, smoke alarms. The list goes on and on and on. Listen. We could talk about this and debate about this, but you know, in my opinion, if you have to really spend time unscrewing things from the ceiling, and if you have all these smart light fixtures and light bulbs, that's a lot of time, that's a lot of pain. They may be in the realtor contract going hey, this light fixture is it is what it is. You can't replace that after we sold it. A lot of this stuff is negotiated in that contract too. I haven't bought a home. Last time I bought was eight years. But nowadays they they may say anything. It is a physically attached to the wall, to the front, to the outdoors, which means all of your outside cameras, it means that video door bell, that smart lock. You're stuck with. If the technology and I'll end the conversation with this, but if the technology that you have has been installed or around your home for a good four years and five years for the most part, leave it because there are upgraded versions of almost every single product. What used to be a wired camera so you can monitor, they're now wireless. If you had a wireless camera from five years ago, it may have been two K. Now they're four K, if not even higher than that. There's faster in longer range Wi Fi systems. There are better speakers that are probably less expensive than the ones that you wired or you wirelessly put in your home. Things to consider when you're buying it, just because if life isn't hard enough, I just thought I did. Was this something a buddy of mine because he's getting ready to move, and he asked me questions about I take this, and then we got into a deep conversation, a really good conversation about that. So maybe you know you want to think about that. And finally, one other thing. When you're on your text, do you use voice text? Your phone may inherently use your voice text, like I have an Android phone, and I you know, I can actually sit there and use my voice. There's also apps to help you with this. Somebody wrote in and they said, hey, listen, Michael, should I trust this? There's something called whisper flow, and I thought they spelled the word whisper wrong, but it's wisp R. I haven't downloaded it, but I did a quick review on this thing. What it does it let you dictate text on your phone. And according to this this gentleman who actually sent me to the email, he said, it actually works very well and it's very simple, and he only has it for the iPhone. He may not. I don't think it's even actually available for the Android yet, but again I don't have an iPhone. That's probably one of the reasons why I haven't done it. Actually checked it out. But the point is, use voice text as much as you can, but before you send it, take a glance to make sure that it got everything spelled correctly. I am extremely anal when it comes to the punctuation periods, the explanation points, the commas, and everything else. I don't want just typical leaving it to AI because it's a bad reflection. Again, it's like I'm not an English major. But I'm very very intricate with that thing. So away, well, next week we'll get into a little bit more text voice to text. Believe me, right now, what you deserve at the past, dour was actually my voice where I actually talked as we wind the show down. Michael Garfield is the name. I thank you for tuning in. Thank you to Brian Erickson, who's the big program director across Alive. iHeart for the state of Texas for keeping me on all of these shows. Next week we've got more Father's Day. We have more more dads and grads.
Speaker 1: Gift.
Speaker 2: If you want to email me, like so many of you are doing during the week when our show is not on. All you need to do hi tech texting dot com. Let's see an email. H I G H T E C h T E x A N. Thank you for tuning in, my friends. Be safe out there where your sun's screen. Don't drink brown water during the day. Don't take any would nickels. My name is Michael Garfield, and right now this show is oh