Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: It probably all began when old man Bell started seeing an odd looking animal on his farm, something half rabbit, half dog, queer looking creature. And then late one night, the crashes began, Noises rattled across the house, and a voice from the darkness told the family terrible things, the legend of the Bell Witch. Next to plon Monster Talk, it's actually quite unlike anything we've evering before. A giant, hairy creature.
Speaker 3: Part eight, Part mast in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster Monster. Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host Blake Smith, and together with Ben Radford and doctor Karen Stoles, now we dig into monster stories to find out what truths we can and what facts there are. Today we discussed the bell Witch Haunting, a strange story from the eighteen hundreds in Tennessee which includes an amazing array of paranormal events and some famous people in voting Andrew Jackson. Before we go on with that, I want to take a quick moment to tell you about an important project that's going on right now. I'm recording this intro on January twenty second. It's the birthday of quack cancer treatment guru Stanislaw Brazinski. Brazinski's expensive and ineffective treatments deplete the fiscal and emotional resources of desperate cancer patients. A group of concerned skeptics are trying to raise awareness of this and support effective cancer research at the same time. Please take a moment and go to crowdrise dot com forward slash Fight Childhood Cancer. I'll put a link in the show notes as well. This fundraiser is part of a joint effort of many people in the skeptics community and is a worthy cause. Thank you. Today's Monster Talk interview comes from October and has been delayed due to a series of ridiculous technical issues. But here it is, and I hope you enjoy it. The bell Witch Morebstertle. You're a little faint, am I?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: There? That sounds better? Don't if you leaned in or whatever. It's high tech stuff, very very.
Speaker 3: All that all the experience in book learning just lean.
Speaker 2: In, as as outlined in the Podcasting for Dummies, the book upon which this entire show is based.
Speaker 1: I didn't read that.
Speaker 2: How was I feel like I'm just wrapping up because the the there was like a real world mystery of why is water shooting out the back of my house?
Speaker 1: And pressing and urgent things to attend to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the plumbers here finishing that up. So that mystery turned out to be broken water pipe was the solution.
Speaker 1: Oh you came home to that or yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was great. It was nice. I thought it was Ben. How was your Did you have a good time.
Speaker 3: At the conference? Yeah? Yeah, it was busy visibly, but you know, I gave a talk on mass hysterios and then I was I did an investigations thing with.
Speaker 2: Jim and Joe, Jim Underdown and Joe Nicol.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, yeah, so do you talk Blake?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't talk. I was there for free because of winning the costume contest the year before. Where I went I went as Auckham shaving Cream.
Speaker 3: Still very clever.
Speaker 2: It was funny. I thought, well, my gosh, we're really close to the bell Witch's historical site. I thought, would it be silly to come this far and not right out there and at least take a look around and.
Speaker 1: So is that to Nashville.
Speaker 2: It's about it's probably like thirty five miles and fifty minutes because it's a bunch of country roads. But I looked around for Joe to see if I could find him since he was there, and we couldn't. All right, I couldn't find him. And then Ben and I headed out and we stopped at the state road sign marker for the Bell Witch and then all of a sudden, this car whips across and parks in front of us, and it's Joe Nicol and In von Reese having just left the site.
Speaker 1: So some kind of synchronicity.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's not really what you'd call a coincidence. I mean, I guess they I mean, or is it? I don't know. It seems like every time, you know, Joe makes a point when he travels to try to go see these kind of sites, and I think Ben and exactly right, everybody's so inclined. Uh, so you know it's it's there's as I'm sure we'll talk about. There's not a lot to the story from a historical perspective, but the site does exist where the story takes place, so it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the photograph on Facebook with Ben very nice and why wasn't there one of you?
Speaker 2: Like? I never got it uploaded. I got a little distracted by the whole water thing. I'd gotten a call to saying that there was a problem with the water at the home coming out of the back of the house, and I was just anxious to get back and find out what was going on.
Speaker 1: So maybe it was because you visited the sign.
Speaker 2: That's so. Yeah, my wife did mention that there was some mysterious voices and the house that had banging. No, she didn't, and you were gone. Apparently, not only is it it's not unusual to have uh water pipe breaks, you know in our neighborhood. Apparently were the just the plumber I'm working with, We're the fourth one he's had to fix in our neighborhood.
Speaker 1: So he needed the tap skies out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't have a ghost, but I do have a plumbing problem.
Speaker 1: So they qualified for that.
Speaker 2: Lunch, so we I thought this would be fine. I had my truck been and I hopped in and drove out there, and it was a little I don't want to I don't want to disparage the place, but the Lincoln cabin. It was a little sketchy. I mean it's a little bit. The first thing you see when you get out there is this like a toe behind trailer, UH, and there's a sign above it this is psychic readings, and there's a guy who does psychic readings. And I don't think this was my imagination. He looked at me and Ben and then went back inside his trailer and closed the door. He was yeah, maybe he was.
Speaker 1: I think sense the negativity.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happened there. And then we told him we were in kind of a hurry, which is totally true because Ben had to talk to get to UH. And the way the cabin is set up, First of all, it's not the original cabin it is. To ask about that, it's a replica cabin, and it looks really nice. You know, my family, my dad, part of what he does is build log cabins and restore them. So I appreciated some of the craftsmanship for the way it was put together, but it wasn't entirely off. It looked like the oaklogs were you know, properly chained and everything, but the floors were you know, kind of modern pressure treated wood.
Speaker 3: Floors, and yeah, it was sort of a disnified version of you know, oh yeah, well said I only kind of knew how roughly what it is like then you could pull it off, but you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they had no animatronics or anything, but they had the pre recorded audio that they played in various rooms of the cabin to tell you the story. And so as you kind of moved through the different rooms, you stop, sit down and listen to this audio, and it was you know, I thought that was nicely done. In fact, if I had stayed, if I hadn't, I had to rush home. The uh the in the evening they have candlelit tours, which would probably be genuinely creepy to hear that really well produced audio. And sitting in a dark cabin with the wind blowing outside. The weather was perfect for it was overcast and windy. Yeah, it was a good place for a ghost story. Part of it began much like a traditional i'd say a witch story more than a ghost story, because so the senior Bell was out on his property and he sees this mysterious animal. It looks like it's part rabbit and part dog, and well, that's kind of creepy. I think in one sense, it's also very consistent with the kind of things that happened in European witch stories. People would see a mysterious animal. Usually it was something like a hare and a hair does look something like an oversized rabbit, and and then you find that you can't kill it. You shoot at it, you try to kill it, and you can't kill it. And that's one of the first science that you're having witch problems. Yeah, well maybe you know, so.
Speaker 1: Did he attempt to kill this creature?
Speaker 2: I don't know that I have.
Speaker 1: That was in one version that I the.
Speaker 2: Best one of the part of the problem, there's the book and then there's lots of different folklore about it. I've read stories where they found a dead animal, and I've read stories where he saw a lie of it animal. But that seems to be a consistent part of the story. The problem is, let's just I don't want to gosh, I hate to just jump to the conclusion, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of facts to back up the story. The story is very elaborate, but the whole story seems to come from a book about the acts or the activities there that took place decades later, Like was it sixty years later?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was like sixty seventy five years later. I have the book in front of me, the Ingham version of the book, and I think it's worth just reading the first few sentences because it's the preface and it really sort of sets the stage for the whole thing, all right. The preface from the book, it says, it is not the purpose of the writer to present a romance for the entertainment of lovers of fiction, nor to establish a theory to please the fancy adherence to so called theosophy, but simply to record evidence of historical facts, stained by a powerful array of incontrovertible evidence, as it comes to hand, testifying to the most wonderful phenomena of the world. Has any account of a visitation known as the Bell Witch, believed at the time by many to have been of supernatural origin, which appeared in Robertson County, Tennessee some seventy five years ago, inflicting unendurable suffering on John Bell, the head of the family, and was said to have ended his life, and which also awakened a sensation that has lived through a generation. So that's that just struck me when I was reading the preface to it, because you know, it's the very first line is saying, look, this is a true story, was sustained by a quote powerful array of incontrovertible evidence end quote. So I'm like, wow, this is I would love to see a powerful way of controvertible evidence. And then of course the story goes on. But it's just a it's a very telling preface.
Speaker 1: So there weren't any contemporary accounts.
Speaker 2: No, not contemporary, but inside the story it has the there's a lot of letters from people who attest to the veracity of what has been told, but these are two the problem is and there's also supposedly a diary from the son, but it doesn't matter because none of the original source material in the diary exists.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, that's that's exactly right. I mean the you know, it's a typical, you know, friend of a friend's story. I mean, it's pure folklore through and through. You have this guy Martin Ingram who is sort of retelling what he heard from what he read about a handwritten diary by Richard Bell, who is one of John Bell's sons, you know, from sixty seventy five years earlier. And then, of course, as Blake noted, there were different incarnations of the story still. So again, I've read probably at least a dozen different versions, and I'm sure there's many more. So it's it's interesting how, you know, even different writers put their own little spins on it. And because the story is so old, dating back at least to the you know, to the eighteen hundred, it's obviously because that's when the book first came out, you've had, you know, well over a century to to mangle the mangle the story and add details and do all those fun things that happens to folklore.
Speaker 1: And so with these letters, were they from eyewitnesses or family members or friends.
Speaker 2: Right, they were from people who had they were eyewitnesses, are people who had heard firsthand the stories of the events. But we don't have those letters either, I mean, they only exist inside this book. So, man, I read your piece for a skeptical inquirer and so, and I'd also listened to Brian Dunning's episode that he'd of a skeptoid talking about this, and of course one of the you know, one of the big things is that inside the work of the Belwich book, it talks about a like authenticating material that would have been temporaneous but that doesn't exist. Like, for example, they say that Andrew Jackson came, but his travels are actually well documented. He wasn't in the area at the time. And as Dining points out, I think very nicely that the the election of Andrew Jackson to president was really contentious. People were really looking for anything to sling mud at the other guy, right, so both candidates were being really awful. If they could have said that Andrew Jackson had been bested by a ghost, I think that would have happened, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, that the Andrew Jackson Stories is actually one of the interesting parts of it. It's it's not just sort of mentioned briefly. It's given quite a few pages to it in some detail, and everything from direct quotes from you know, from from Jackson addressing the ghosts and the ghost addressing him back. It's it's rather detailed and melodramatic.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's very exciting. I mean, he pulls up in his wagon and all of a sudden, the wagon won't go any further and the mules are straining at it, and finally a voice comes out of thin air and tells him he may proceed, you know, and then suddenly he can he can go stay at the cabin, and it has a horrible night there with you know, banging and clatter and noises, and leaves the next day saying he'd rather face the British than face the ghost, right right, So.
Speaker 1: It's exciting something I've come across in a couple of other stories as well, with the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose that was owned by the Winchester family. Apparently Teddy Roosevelt had paid a visit and was turned away by Sarah Winchester, and I think one of their rifles had been named after him. So I've just come across a couple of stories here and there where there's a president or a future president involved. I guess that's just to add credibility to the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting. I had forgotten about that element of the Winchester House. But I think you're exactly right. I mean, it's you know, what more credible eyewitness can you ask for than that? I mean, to this day, UFO proponents still Harpo and Carter's president. Carter's you know, a legislating of a UFO back in seventy something, so yeah, I mean, you know, I'm high right.
Speaker 1: It is a haunted hotel in Santa Cruz called the Brookdale Lodge, and apparently I think Herbert Hoover visited there and saw a ghost as well. And he actually did visit, he was a guest at the hotel, but I don't think there are any there's any evidence that he saw a ghost or or made any claims about that. I think again, it's just trying to build some kind of credibility to the stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think having somebody reputable being involved does help, but I think it, you know, casually. I think it'd be nicer if we had their first hand accounts, which in these cases we don't because I don't think they exist. But what I thought was interesting about the Bell witch case is it starts out and it sounds like a classic haunting or a poultry geist attack much more than a witch attack. Once it gets going, there's banging on the walls, people are being poked and prodded, Dishes are flying around and breaking. So even as you know, well, I don't know a lot about pre nineteen hundred pultruc iiced attacks. This sounds much more like a poultry iced attack in the way it's written.
Speaker 1: So, well, this was sort of around the time or just after the witch crazes in Europe, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: No, this is eighteen Well, you mean that allegedly took place, right, mean, so there's the events took place in the very early eighteen hundreds, But then the book's actually written in the eighteen.
Speaker 1: I mean, when the alleged events took place, that would have been around the time of the end of the witch craze. So I'm wondering if Witch was an interpretation of the phenomena at that time.
Speaker 3: That's actually interesting. In the book they use of variety terms. At one point, it's referred to as a goblin, a gnome, and a gremlin, and a witch and a ghost. It's there's I counted about a half a dozen. Yeah, pretty much whatever you want, I mean, And which of course helps for the reader in terms of similaritude, because that way, you know, if if whatever Ingram is telling you, if it doesn't fit your conception of which or a ghost, well if you think it if you believe in goblins or gremlins or fairies or whatever the hell you want. You can sort of say, well, okay, because it's given a variety of possible labels, that sort of gives you a bunch of different outs. If you don't think that it really fits the characteristics of any one of them, let me go ahead, Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Kind of reminds me of Jeff the Talking mongoose a bit, does y Poltergeist. Yes, that sort of changes in the way that people perceive it.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because you know, with Jeff the Talking mangos, we know that whether that was a real animal or not, or a real you know, a real it really took place. In other words, even though it was almost certainly a hoax, that people really did write down contemporaneous records from multiple sources that they went there and heard strange things.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh yeah, there were journalists who went there and they even sent evidence to the British Zoological Society. So it's not an urban legend.
Speaker 2: As such, right right, And in this case, it appears to have sprung, you know, fully formed from Ingram's imagination, because there doesn't seem to be or at least there's no written record of these events that predates his book, which is a telling clue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's one thing that struck me because I actually read the book on the plane on the plane back, and I, in fact, I really recommend that, you know, just as just as part of a course of you know, when when possible, consulting the original source. People are really interested in, you know, in getting into the story. You know, you're much better off reading the original source because we actually have it here rather than you know, any of the different variations. It's called authenticated History of the Bell Witch and Other Stories, the world's Greatest unexplained phenomena by M. V. Ingram And And that's exactly right. I mean, as I was reading the book, I was taking notes on the plane and writing in the margins, and repeatedly it refers to all these experts that came from far and wide, the committees, and you know, uh, you know, Andrew, Andrew Jackson, just everybody. And there's you know, there's dozens and dozens, if not thousands of people who were supposed to have been witnessed to this, either first hand or secondhand, or heard about over elms. And where are they? I mean, if if this really is a true story, you would think that this is well known throughout the county, it says, uh, and it would lists all these people that came, detectives came, and yet there seems to be no written evidence, written by anybody else anywhere that that mentions this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In fact, the if you're interested the you can get the kindle edition of this for ninety nine cents. So it's and it's really well done. Plus you can search it, so I find that extremely helpful. Wh I'm doing researches. You can actually do a word search to find particular things within the text.
Speaker 1: Naughty words.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you could look for the word cave and find out why they've got a cave on the property that's inside a barn and cost twelve dollars to visit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the connection of the cave?
Speaker 2: Apparently there's a story that Betsy Bell and some friends went into the cave and while they were in the cave, a boy got stuck in a hole, and the witch pulled the boy out of the hole and then lectured the kids on the dangers of going into a cave. Oh, so it was a good Well, see, here's the thing. Intermittently in the story, the witch does good things and friendly things and then really bad things and by the end murder.
Speaker 3: No, it's absolutely yeah, it's just you know, I was reading the story, and you know, the story has and they use the word story advisedly. It has long passages of long conversations, very pleasant conversations. The belle Wich gives the family gifts. They they talk about matters of the day, they hang out, they chat, you know, they and then in other parts, you know, there the bell which is making making one of the daughters vomit up pins and needles, and it's it's just remarkable, you know, the the if this really is a true story, then then it's amazing how how bad the ghost communication has gotten over the past one hundred and fifty years. You know, I mean there's you know again, pages and pages of direct quotes of you know, clear language, you know, creative language, you know, all these sort of things and these days were reduced to e vps. It's it's like wow, points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it creates this interesting distinction, especially if you're right about your hypothesis. Been let's we'll talk about that in just a second. You've got authentic ghost stories where people really believe they seen a ghost. And then you've got ghost legends, word of mouth stories that are ostensibly based on true things but are really part of folklore where the original person is never identified, or if they are identified, they never really took place the way it's claimed are it's a friend of a friend. And then you've got fiction which is given credibility by its use of real people, and in which one of those three do you think this has been.
Speaker 3: I think this is fiction that's given credibility by the use of real people. And again, this is a This is certainly not unknown today. I mean, you know, you can't you can't, you know, go in a video store rent a movie without you know, some horror film routinely being claimed as being based on a true story or based on true events. And of course there's been a couple of films made adapted from this. But this is nothing new. You know. Sometimes I talked to people who are like, oh, well, you know this was written you know, one hundred years ago. It must be true. It's like, yeah, because nobody, you know, nobody, nobody told falsehoods. There's no sorts of real journalism or newspaper hoaxes, you know, one hundred two hundred years ago. But yeah, I mean obviously if you can, if you can, if you can use real places and real people, then that adds to to the realism. And in fact, this actually reminded me quite a bit of my investigation into the White Witch of Rose Hall in montego By, Jamaica, which I wrote about in a couple of places, including one of my books, where you Know it was there's this whole elaborate ghost story based on ostensibly real people. They're you know, real real names that happened a long, long time ago, but when you look more closely at it, there's just simply nothing to it.
Speaker 2: So in modern times, the people who did the blair Witch Project actually based the idea of the blair Witch Project after having heard the Belwich story, and in the way they presented the blair Witch Project was as though it were a real event. It was a found footage and part of the story. Although you could find the answer pretty readily on the internet, that was at a time when people still really didn't understand, you know, there wasn't It wasn't as easy apparently because lots of people didn't know if it was real or not, and thought it was real and in fact, the filmmakers still get contacted by this disturbed me police departments wondering what happened with the case.
Speaker 1: Well, I saw a midnight screening of it in Sydney at the time when it came out, and it was presented in Australia at its release as being a true story, and so there's a lot of hype and media about that. That was the way that everyone saw it there, at least to begin with.
Speaker 2: So your contention, Ben, is that this book is doing the same sort of thing. It's a fiction, but it's being presented as real to give it greater I want to say, very similar to but I don't want to say it incorrectly because that's one of those words I read, but don't say.
Speaker 3: That sounds right. No, I've heard Yeah, the Paradigams and all.
Speaker 2: Those exactly No. I think there's a vast chasm between the words I know and I know how to.
Speaker 3: Say the ones who knows. No, I think that's exactly right. And the thing to keep in mind is that is it unless you're writing some sort of uh, you know, fantasy or science fiction that's really out there, you know, you are sort of constrained to using real places. The most you know, elaborate fiction novels of you know, serial killers and monsters and lever else are set you know here now War the World's the nineteen thirty eight broadcast was supposed to be going on, you know, in h on the East Coast in New York and New Jersey, of course, adapted by it by Wells. But but again, so you know, in a way, it's it shouldn't surprise anybody that writers use. Writers use what's around them, and they use real places, and sometimes they use real figures. That has nothing to do with whether or not whether the story is actually true or not.
Speaker 2: And now they say, right, what you know, which is why all my stories are about fast food and masturbation exactly.
Speaker 1: That won't make your story.
Speaker 3: What's that you do?
Speaker 1: A plug for your story now, which I still haven't.
Speaker 2: Great I'm looking well, I plugged it in the last episode, so we're cool. Although if you want to read an incredibly good story, go find Weird Tales and read my story.
Speaker 3: What's the title of it.
Speaker 2: I believe it's called The Thing in the Cellar. It was originally called The Horror in the Cellar, but when they did a title search, they found that that was already used.
Speaker 3: So they thought you meant horror in the cellar, right right.
Speaker 2: It was autobiographical. It was about my experience raising money for my family by performing terrible, terrible acts in the basement for money.
Speaker 3: Frankly, I'm interested in that one. So if you could write that one, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good stuff. The Kiddel addition will be out later today. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I have to say that that when I was reading it, there's there's one particular phrase in the in the whole book that I really enjoyed, and it was occurs on page two one when they ask Uncle Zeke. He says, it's it's great. I mean, it could have been ripped from from you know, ghost hunters. He says, it's because it's a Native Native American burial ground.
Speaker 1: That explains everything.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, there you go. You know, we got an Indian barrel ground. What else could it be?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: And it was just funny to just see something written so long ago that that again in many ways that the whole ghost hunting law and vernacular and all that really hasn't changed much. Well, it was interesting when I was researching the Skeptical Inquiry article for u S. I. One of the first things I did, which apparently no one else did in terms of, you know, certain the ghostwriters is I went back and looked at the folklore on it. In fact, there's quite a bit of folklore, and they'll bell which stories identified as legend as far back as the nineteen thirties. Yeah, and was discussed in, for example, of the Journal of American Folklore in nineteen thirty four. I found a couple of references there, and I looked that up.
Speaker 1: So now it's true.
Speaker 3: Right there you go then right, sort of sort of whitewash into the truth. But yeah, I mean, so you know, it's not as if folklsts are unaware of this. In fact, the folklorsts have been writing about it for you know, eighty or more years. It's just that the ghost hunters and ghost investigators either haven't thought to look at the folklore research or just ignored it because they're just so convinced that it's a true story and not folklore.
Speaker 2: Well you go ahead.
Speaker 1: Have you gone onto YouTube and seeing some of the very convincing evidence that these people come up with.
Speaker 3: I haven't. Can you summarize for us oh alps. Oh there you go.
Speaker 1: Strange inexplicable lights and voices e vps. Of course, you know the drill, the usual stuff come today.
Speaker 2: Not good enough? You know, this focal are thing is funny because I had There's a an old house north of where I live called Barnsley Gardens. It was the Barnsley family built this huge European style estate and like built this elaborate European garden and brought in trees and fancy plants, fancy imported things. Anyway, beautiful place. But it went into ruin and became this sort of desolate you know, ruined with this what looks almost like a castle on the grounds, and ghost stories abounded, and a lot of them centered around this terrible feud some of the family members had over a particular girl, and there was a story about a poison duel and anyway beautiful story. But I had the occasion to read the actual history of the site, from the history of Bartok County, and like the stories I'd heard my whole life, these these sort of romantic Gothic love stories were just completely fabricated and the real story is very interesting, but nothing to do with the ghost stories. So that kind of thing happens. And I think these stories, as with all folklore, take on a life of their own and continue to evolve. So you know, if there may still be versions of that story told, you know on the tours of the grounds, because I know they still talk about ghosts up there. But I imagine over the years as people passed the stories along and different you know, people come and go, and those stories are going to continue to change.
Speaker 1: So I think which stories sound like choose your own adventure. They're just so many variations.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of variations if you.
Speaker 3: Believe go to page five, page thirteen if you think this is both the end of the book, if you believe it by another book.
Speaker 2: So there's a movie, at least one movie that there's actually three, I think, but one movie that was got mainstream release, and that's an American haunting that has Donald Sutherland and what's Sissy's basic I think, And well, I don't that story changes a lot of things which annoyed some you know, ghosts, u you know, paranormal people or people who like the paranormal. They like some authenticity in their story. But apparently the source materials.
Speaker 1: Authenticity in Folk.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, you know, I guess what I was gonna say about it. The real claim to fame for that film, in my mind, is that it's the second film by the guy who directed the Dudges and Dragons movie. That's uh, which was a huge disappointment. Although it's the only film I remember that has a beholder in it.
Speaker 3: So they had Jeremy Irons in it, didn't it?
Speaker 2: He did it ever?
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, Jeremy.
Speaker 2: If you like to watch Jeremy Iers chew up some scenery, man, that that is the film to watch. You Just he cranks it up to eleven in that movie. So it's a piece of crap, but it's very engaging, it's very fun to watch. So yeah. So, but that's the Dudges and Dragons movie. I haven't watched The American Haunting yet. I haven't. I'd kind of like to watch it this week since it seems very fresh in my mind. But you know, I I think it's just kind of disappointing that what is widely touted as being one of the most best documented ghost cases in American history is only documented through fiction. That's just really really sad.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean well, I mean yeah, as you know, to my mind, the remarkable thing is just you know how often it's been written up as a true story. I mean over and over and over again. Ghosts write, you know, ghost ghostwriters, people write about ghosts, you know Brad Steiger for example, and you know many others. They just repeat it and they just assume it's true. And there's again there's no attempt to investigate it's all. It's all just laid out there as if well, this is this is the real deal. Let me, let me I have one particular section that I want to read from this book called The Haunting of America by William Burns and Joel Martin, because again it really, it really crystallizes their argument. It says, this is on page one forty five. It says, was young Betsy the poultry agent whose own telekinetic energy caused some of the horrific activity in her family's home. Some reachers, some researchers, have theorized that Betsy, under emotional stress, may have acted out of some sort of subconscious resentment for her father that manifested itself in the form of psychic energy, responsible for creating the poultrygeist havoc skeptics blamed Betsy, accusing her or fabricating the Bellwich phenomena. However, no one has ever proved that, and Bessie never again spoke of her family's troubles. Now you just did. There's so many things when you're just like there, it's you to to see. To see skeptics blame Bessie accusing him, fabricating, fabricating the Bellwich phenomena. You know, it's it's totally misses the point. It's like arguing whether or not you know Huckleberry Finn's father actually did beat him in the Mark Twain novel. Well, in the novel, yes he beat him, but it's a fictional character. You're you can't take it out of the fictional context and ask these questions. It's it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's a very modern theory about how that occurred, exactly the geist. But it reminds me again, I'm making drawing lots of parallels. But I think we've talked about the guy Ry ghost before, haven't we.
Speaker 2: Briefly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the place it's about six hours north of Sydney, and I was a puled thegeist claim going back to the nineteen twenties, and yeah, I'm just drawing lots of parallels to that. And again it was a famous person that visited there. It was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who's gone to investigate the sign. It was a friend of his, it wasn't actually him. But again you have the same young girl who is experiencing all of this phenomena, and then she's discredited in future. But this is a true story, not in so far as that it's a paranormal case, but in so far as that had actually occurred and that it is well documented. So that's where it differs. But yeah, I think this might be just a very early predecessor to all of these contemporary claims as well, and an explanation for a lot of contemporary claims how they came about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be interesting to know how many copies of this book got sold, because I know that the story is well known in Tennessee. But there seemed to be kind of a resurgence of interest when this, you know, American Haunting film came out. Then everybody wanted to do a kind of a knockoff Bell Witch movie, right, And so I don't know when Blair.
Speaker 1: Witch came out as well. I think the two were feeding off each other for publicity.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think so. And also the you know that that excerpt being just read reminds me of that most important thing. It's really easy to hear this case to go, oh, well, listen. You know, they had a teenage girl, her name was Betsie. She was having trouble with a lover. There was a lot of stuff going on. You know, easily she could have been hoaxing this whole thing, and that this could have been just a case of her acting out. And that's a great explanation, you know, except for the part where you really need to check first to see if anything happened at all. Right, right, you know you have to take the null hypothesis. Yeah, so I'd say that's more of a scofftick tactic than a skeptic.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I mean you're exactly right. I mean it's you know, it's essentially, you know, you go back to Raeheyman's category categorical imperative, you know, where before you try to explain something, make sure that it actually happened, you know, before you start positing theories about what the ghost could have been. Was it her psychic energies. Was it? This was it? That was it? Actually? You know Native American bariograms as the old consequential dark. He said, you know what, what was this? Before you spend a lot of time and energy, you know, going to explanations, question your assumptions, question your premises, and say well is this true? Is this real? Before you go any further.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, very first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a right inside the cave, there is allegedly an Indian burial ground. There's sort of a rectangular shaped box that appears to have collapsed, and in the legend, apparently I guess, at one point the witch claims she's the ghost of someone who died and the part of their skeleton or their tooth was under the house. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's this weird section where or they spend like four or five pages like this witch is pissed off because she's missing a tooth, and I'm like, go find a dentist.
Speaker 2: I don't know, right, it's really odd, But again, I've seen the picture of the Indian so called Indian burial. Now, my understanding was that the Cherokee, who would have been the predominant, you know, tribal presence in that region buryed, did ground burials, and they did it usually like a day or two or like either like the day of a right after the death, you know.
Speaker 1: Books.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I don't know if they used the box or not. You know, eighteen, you know, nineteen would have been you know, and then this would have predated that, so this would have been probably the late seventeen hundreds. I'm not really sure if they buried in coffins or if they're just buried in the ground, but I doubt they use coffins, just because their burial beliefs, as I understand them, were that they understood that the body goes back to nature, and that it makes sense to bury so that the you know, body can feed the trees and the plants and you know, very circle of life, right, you know, so inside a cave, inside a stone box doesn't sound right. I actually reached out to Ken Fader for end of the show to ask him about this. I sent him some documentation about the claims, and hopefully he'll get back. I don't know if he'll get back in time for this recording, but if not, I'll update the Facebook page of the show notes.
Speaker 3: It's my understanding just fyo that he doesn't respond to emails unless use the F word, so you might want to we send that.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry. I did, yeah, by which I mean yeah answer. I said, hey, ken, I got a question. If you have a minute, then not too much of that, folks. I hate putting all those beepcent.
Speaker 1: At this time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm hoping. You know. My gut feeling, which is what most skeptics go by, right, is that this is probably not an Indian barrel, that there's some other purpose for that box besides being uh, the location of dead Indians. One thing I can't tell from the photo is how big the box is. And I know that while we were talking with Joe Nickel, he said he had some ideas about that box as well, so he may be writing something up.
Speaker 1: We'll see Gus buried by the family or someone else.
Speaker 2: Well there was, I mean, there's nothing in the box. It just looks like it could be, you know, a trough for an animal, or it could be and it could be a number of things. I don't know what it really is.
Speaker 3: It could be an Indian dwarf.
Speaker 2: It could be an Indian dwarf. I like that expert than It could be it could be a storage box for the cave troll that you still live there.
Speaker 3: You could be feeding trot for chupacabra. Who knows.
Speaker 2: That's right, we don't know. We don't know this, so we don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's just admit that we don't know.
Speaker 2: Right, we start with saying we don't know, right anyway, I think that's that's the heart of this. So what what can we learn from from the Bellwich? What what's a lesson for skeptics or for anybody who wants to, uh, you know, investigate famous hauntings.
Speaker 1: I think to keep looking for prior sources, to try and find an original source and then to question that and uh to to not look at a lot of contemporary sources and but able to to find the original one as best you can, and then to see if there's any any truth to that, any historical truth to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I would agree with that. And also just to you know, look at these things in context. I mean, if you read, if you read the book, if you read you know Ingram's book about the Bell which it's clearly a novella. I mean, it's it's it's it's it's one of the novellas, it's Steve nevella, it's the long lost novella Brother. But no, it's it's obviously a novel. I mean it's you know, it's it's got direct quoted dialogue, it's got drama, it's got being Lost in the Cave, which of course, you know Mark Twain wrote about in Tom Sawyer. I mean, this is it's got so many literary devices that that to to to to think or assume that this is somehow uh you know, a you know, an accounting of documented historical fact is ridiculous. I mean, you just I don't know how you can read the book unless unless unless, of course, you know, you're unless you you're working backwards and you know for a fact that the bell which case is true and this is evidence for it. If you're reading, if you're working forward from the evidence to the conclusion, you're going to say, well, hold on here, this is you know, this is just patently absurd.
Speaker 2: It would be interesting to go back and see if there were any reviews, contemporaneous reviews of his book In the in the in the in the Air, in the region, you know you don't. That would be interesting because that would be the kind of thing like, really, I've never heard this story, but it sounds fascinating, you know, you would think that that would be well known if that that sort of legend was in your region. But what we can't we can't document negative evidence very well. We can search for it and say we can't find it, but it's really hard to say, you know too much about the fact that it's not there. Right, So, so far, no one's found Betsy's uh, you know, any written allegations that Betsy did anything. No one's found the diary that William Bell, Williams Bell supposedly gave the author these just there's nothing in the letters that were supposedly sent to him. Those don't seem to exist.
Speaker 3: And it's also the stuff with Jackson.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, there's so much stuff that doesn't exist that that's enough to call it a fraud in my opinion.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, but with what does exist, the stories of witches and goblins, those were all popular beliefs of the time as well, and seems to be reinterpreted for today true.
Speaker 2: And he mentions that in the book that you know, as he points out in the intro, you know, I'm not here to talk about the theosophy or spiritualism or whether or not ghost surreal. I'm just going to tell you these facts right, a lot easier, so he acknowledges, you know, most people don't believe in ghosts, you know, especially not in the daytime.
Speaker 3: Right right, Again, if you read there's quite a bit of the Bible in there. There's you know, you know, messages and and you know, and we mentioned earlier about how in some cases the bell which has this sort of this benign social control, this you know, you know, the teaching kids not to do bad things. Again, that that hearkens back directly to like Lairna, you know, the the evil witch. That's you know, telling kids to keep out of the ditches for their own safety, or you know, don't go in the lake because you know, don't don't go in the woods because boogieyman will get your the big photo of route. So again, these are if you're looking at from a folkloric perspective. Uh, it's you know, all the elements are there. I mean, it's it's it's Christmas. The message here, message, messages, messages always do the right things. In fact that there's one section of the book where where the bell which actually punishes a lazy worker. There's a farm hand there who's who's not quite doing things up to stuff, and the bell witch comes and gives gives the boundary good shaking, and from that day on the boy worked harder than ever. Blah blah blah blah blah. So frankly we need more of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, as our moral guidance witches, right exactly? All right, Well, well now I feel like we're just here to pee on ghost stories and that's not quite right. So I mean I love ghost stories. I just I continue to have this problem be forere they're supposedly true. You know. That's that's the thing, you know, when people think that stories that are clearly made up or not clearly made up but presented is true and are not true, and the perpetrator knows they're not true, you know, is it entirely for fun? You know? And now people are making a business on it. I mean there's quite literally a cottage industry of bill Wich support.
Speaker 3: T shirts and cave tours and canoe tours, and you know, yeah, I mean there's there's lots of money to be made. And as you know, as Karen has pointed out before the same thing with Bigfoot. You know, you go into the Bigfoot country and there's Bigfoot burgers and Bigfoot Cafe t shirts and stuff, and so there's definitely an element of explaining it for tourism.
Speaker 2: Monster Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. You heard myself, Blake Smith and my co hosts doctor Karen Stolesnow and Benjamin Radford discussing the historical paranormal case known as the Bell Witch. Monster Talk is produced with the help of Skeptic Magazine. If you like magazines, you should get one. The opinions expressed on this show do not necessarily reflect those of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. We have got some fantastic interviews lined up already for this year, so please stay tuned to Monster Talk. In twenty thirteen, we got giant spiders and leaping strangers in so much.
Speaker 4: More coming your way. Monster Talk theme music was by Pete Stealing Monkeys.
Speaker 2: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry playbook.
Speaker 1: Head over to skeptic dot com, slash magazine, slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite skeptic content.