Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio.
Speaker 1: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 3: Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 1: Station. This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call.
Speaker 4: How do you hear me? I can hear you loud and clear. It's time for your morning wake up call. I've landed and its name is Amy k.
Speaker 2: Here's Amy King, business gone.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Friday, January thirty. First Wow. One month down, eleven to go. You know that means like eleven months till Christmas. Thought i'd go there early. Good morning. Thank you for getting your day started with us today. We certainly appreciate it. Looking for a happy, happy Friday. Did you watch a fire aid last night?
Speaker 4: A little bit?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I went to tune in at six and I'm like, going, it's not on. I'm watching KTLA. It's like they're doing news. I went to Apple TV, I went to Paramount Plus, I went to Disney Plus and I'm like, where where is this concert?
Speaker 4: I read the same thing, searched Olliver right, and.
Speaker 1: Then I was doing some show prep and I saw the wire story it said, oh, it's been delayed an hour. They decided that yesterday afternoon, so it didn't start till seven.
Speaker 4: But what a show was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there were times I wondered how iHeart the iHeart FM stations were actually airing it because there were a couple of words in there, and some of the acts.
Speaker 1: Were there were the N word, and I believe there was an F bomber two. So yeah, you know, I thought that one of the coolest parts was when Building Crystal came out at the at the beginning of it and started talking because, as you know he or may not know, he lost his home in Pacific Palisades and he was wearing this blue hoodie sweatshirt and he said, this is the.
Speaker 4: This is what I was wearing.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh my gosh, and you could tell he was getting teary about it, and it was just like, wow, It's just how far reaching this all was.
Speaker 4: Was just crazy.
Speaker 1: And then the women in Altad, you know, there was a family of five, I think it was the mom and four daughters, and they said, we had like generational homes, and she said, of the five of us here on stage, four lost homes. And You're just like, how do you even come back from that? Like all those memories not just from one family house but from the whole family. But amazing. And I'm hoping that it's I'm gonna ask will Gans about this, but I'm hoping that it'll be replaying because I didn't get to see the whole thing, but I did wake up at like midnight and it was still going.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was crazy. It was great.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I want to see what I missed, like Lady Gaga and I missed most of Billie Eilish and that kind of stuff. Here's what's the head on wake Up called. Two black boxes from the deadly midair collision over the Potomac River near Reagan National Airport have been recovered. They're now reportedly on the way to the National Transportation Safety Board lab. We're going to check in with ABC's Stephen Portnoy. He's gonna get us the latest on that in about two or three minutes. I'm in from Long Beach. Has been sentenced to six months in prison for pointing lasers at police. Helicopters and planes. Gop say. Forty eight year old Mark Barger pointed a high powered laser at Long Beach Police helicopters, commercial airliners, and private planes near the Long Beach Airport in January of twenty twenty three. Traveling to northern California this weekend could be rather treacherous. The National Weather Services issued a winter storm warning for heavy snow and strong winds in the southern Sierra Nevada, Yosemite National Park and other areas. Up to three feet of snow and winds gusting to about fifty miles per hour are expected through Sunday morning. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. People from several cities in the San Gabriel Valley Foothills have spoken out against a toxic waste processing site for the Eat and Fire in Altadena. Supervisor Hilda Salisa's residents can rest assured the federal operation will not harm their communities.
Speaker 5: Our role is to be also eyes and ears and to help articulate and give that information to the public so that there is some sense of trust, accountability, and transparency.
Speaker 1: There have been two nights of town hall meetings with officials from the EPA about the site at Lario Park in Irwindale. It's been decided that toxic waste will now travel along the two to ten Freeway from the burn Zone in Altadena instead of along city streets. ICE agents have been carrying O rage raids in LA despite its sanctuary city designation. Gayfy's Phil Hewlett says raids started across the country when President Trump lifted restrictions on ICE operations at sensitive locations like schools, churches, and hospitals.
Speaker 6: This week, arrests were made in conjunction with the Drug Enforcement Agency and the Department of Homeland Security in several undisclosed Los Angeles neighborhoods. Many of those arrested are said to have criminal backgrounds.
Speaker 1: ICE officers from Ro Los Angeles have posted photos on social media showing some of the arrests made. One guy is a Mexican gang member with convictions for domestic violence. Another is a foreign fugitive wanted by authorities in El Salvador for homicide. Santa Ana School District officials have put together a six minute video to show staff step by step how to handle a visit from ice officers. District officials say families and the district are worried about President Trump's executive order to start mass deportations of illegal immigrants. This say good morning too. Will Cole Schreiber is going to check a crash for us in Southads.
Speaker 2: The problems here as you head south on the one ten freeway at Manchester, the two right lanes are blocked with this crash. An overturned box truck is one of the vehicles is involved here, so it may take a while to clean up. We're keeping an eye on that one for the most part. It's Friday morning light out there, but we have a couple of other things going on ten westbound before sunset. Before sunset Avenue installed in the carpool lane four H five northbound right around Norno to the north end of the valley.
Speaker 4: There stalled truck.
Speaker 2: In lanes there and another stretch of the four H five this time it's northbound in Long Beach right around Cherry.
Speaker 4: Looks like that on ramp blocked partially by a crash.
Speaker 2: With Southern California's most accurate traffic reports, I'm Will Coleschreiber.
Speaker 6: Thank you all.
Speaker 1: It's five oh seven on your Friday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen Port Andite. You know, Stephen, I know you've been working in DC for more than twenty years, so why you might not be an aviation expert. You certainly know Reagan National Airport and provided such great information yesterday. We wanted to talk with you again today to find out what we've learned since yesterday.
Speaker 7: Well, the big development from the investigation side is the recovery of the flight data recorders, the black boxes from the airplane, the Canada Air Regional Jet. Now, the question is not that anyone has suggested that the pilots of that plane did anything wrong. The question is exactly how high in the air was that plane at the time of the collision with the Blackhawk helicopter. The public speculation has been that it was three hundred and fifty feet above sea level. Because of publicly available data on apps such as flight tracker and the radar, this, that and the other, and with that as a basis, people are saying, ah, the helicopter was flying too high in the air. The problem is that data when a plane is so low to the ground might not necessarily be accurate. The altimeter of the plane will have the most accurate information and that's going to be recorded on the black boxes, so those will be analyzed by the NTSB. So that's important from the investigation side. Also, we're looking ataping of the control tower, and we've learned yesterday that they were down to one controller who was responsible for monitoring incoming planes to Reagan National Airport and the military helicopters and other law enforcement helicopters that fly the same corridor, and that's a key question whether the air traffic controller was overwhelmed or had too much responsibility at that moment. It is not entirely out of the ordinary for that sort of staffing to occur. It generally happens later in the evening when the flight patterns at Reagan National Airport are much lower because overnight for noise restrictions, mainly to protect the residents of the area, there's not a lot of traffic in that airport. There are no flights taking off after a certain hour. Flights may come in for a landing or take off if they're delayed, but that is not typical.
Speaker 4: It's rare.
Speaker 7: It happens, but it's not the way it's supposed to from a schedule standpoint, all of which is to say they're going to look at everything. They're going to look at the equipment, they're going to look at the conditions, they're going to look at the actions of the people on the helicopter, the plane and in the control tower.
Speaker 1: And the NTSB is saying they're going to look at everything, but they're not going to say what it is until they've had a chance to look over everything, which I'm sure is it's got to be frustrating because people want answers.
Speaker 7: Now, Well, yeah, I mean, look, it doesn't help establish a pattern of facts to have the President of the United States come out and suggest without evidence that this has something to do with diversity hiring practices. My colleague Mary Bruce asked the President yesterday, as to my colleague Karen Travers, did do you have any evidence that this had anything to do with the race or gender of the people involved? And he said no, essentially, but it's common sense what leads him to that conclusion. He didn't offer any evidence. We don't know what the president has been told, but he hasn't shared it with the public. If he has reason to believe it, and so instead the question is exactly you know what happened? We do hear radio traffic between the control tower and the helicopter where the controller says more than once, you've got eyes on that crjjet right, And I'm using you know, normal parlance. They don't, they speak and coded, you know, their normal jargon. But the answer was, yes, they do see. And the question is what plane were they looking at?
Speaker 4: Rightly?
Speaker 1: Not talking about yesterday. The planes are coming and going. They're taking off and landing like every thirty or forty five seconds. So even though they have eyes on a plane, it doesn't mean it's the plane that's right.
Speaker 7: And maybe that, you know, they say to CRJ, maybe they saw another A three twenty and I thought that was it. We don't know, but it's all going to be part of the.
Speaker 1: Investigation, all right, ABC, Stephen Portnoy, thanks again for the information you all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The two young girls who investigators say were kidnapped by their father have been found safe. Jonathan Maldonado Cruz has been arrested on suspicion of murdering the girl's mother in King's County, about thirty miles south of Fresno. Her body was found Tuesday that led to an AMBER alert through southern California. Maldonado Cruz gave himself up yesterday at the US Mexico border in Sandy Sidro and turned over his two and three year old daughters.
Speaker 4: They're both okay.
Speaker 1: Some people who live in Altadena say they're not getting as much attention from the government in the wake of the wildfires. Donnie Kinsey tells KTLA the people who are looking at Altadena are hoping to buy the properties of his longtime neighbors.
Speaker 3: From what I've seen with my friends and their parents, yes, they're getting offers early and you know, low bids on their properties.
Speaker 1: Kinsey says he lost his home and business in the Eaton fire. He says he feels like the Palisades fire has gotten most of the attention in relief efforts. A convicted felon who walked away from a conservation camp in Acton has been captured in Bakersfield. The guy had been missing since Tuesday. The California Department of Correction says Jesse Mesa will be put in prison and possibly prosecuted in La County on escape charges. In twenty twenty two, he began serving a sixteen year sentence for assault with a firearm and other charges out of Kern County. Driverless Tesla's will soon hit the streets of California.
Speaker 3: The robo taxi service should be ready to go live by the end of this year. That's according to Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who also says that the state of Texas is going to get its roll out over the summer. Tesla is looking to compete with the autonomous taxi service called Waimo, which started offering rides right here in La just as past November. Tesla's self driving approach utilizes cameras and simple sensors rather than using expensive tech and detailed maps. The specific cities in the LA area for the initial deployment of the road with taxis have not been announced. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: Buster Farms says it's closing its turkey processing planned in northern California and laying off hundreds of workers. Fuster Farms says changing market demand is forcing the company to close in Stanislaus County more than five hundred workers will lose their jobs, but apparently the company will offer them jobs in other plants nearby. The company didn't say if the closure is tied to outbreaks of the bird flu. President Trump's pick to lead the FBI has been questioned by members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Democratic Senator from Minnesota Amy Klobachar asked Cash Betel whether he keeps an enemy's list with people like former Attorney General Bill barr on it.
Speaker 4: It's not an enemy's list. That is a total mischaracterization.
Speaker 2: I ask you, and I actually used the words you use for the list, which was deep state, right, that's what you put it.
Speaker 1: That is a glass sent to the Attorney General of the United States. Democrats pushed for assurances that Patel would not seek retribution against President Trump's adversaries or investigate people or organizations for political reasons. Bettel was confronted by senators with a series of statements, including referring to January sixth rioters as political prisoners. A global study shows good oral hygiene, including flossing, reduces your risk of stroke. Mark Mayfield says a study out of the University of South Carolina looked back at flossing habits of thousands of people dating back twenty five years.
Speaker 7: The main findings were that people who said they floss their teeth at least once a week had it between twenty two and forty four percent lower risk of suffering a stroke.
Speaker 1: The study out also found the lower stroke risk was independent of whether people had routine dental checks or how often they brush their teeth. You see, Davis and other researchers say they're going to try to talk to et with the help of humpback whales. Doctor Fred Sharp's hiss. Researchers will believe that they recorded what might be the very first human whale communication in the waters off southeast Alaska. Sharp says he hopes to eventually use the whale communication to help detect and interpret signals coming from outer space. You know, he could have just asked Spock for help.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, there's a whole Star Trek movie.
Speaker 1: I know, Star Trek four, Hello when we come back. LA mission stepping up to help those who lost everything in the Eton fire.