Speaker 1: Welcome to Hill Country Homilies. Weekly homilies from Holy Anunciation Orthodox Church in Liberty Hill, Texas. Holy Annunciation is an old calendar Orthodox Church sharing the faith of the Apostles and the love of Christ with all who seek His truth. Now, let's listen to this week's homily.
Speaker 2: When's the our talk? A holed the readings this morning?
Speaker 3: I had intended to preach about the state backing unit the council, but and here's female the archbishop covered it completely, so there's no reason for me agree about it.
Speaker 2: Although if you haven't read the email, please you read it. Very goodness, is Zara informative.
Speaker 4: I will see greely about the parable several.
Speaker 2: Us. Our Lord already explains what it means, and I certainly can't.
Speaker 4: Explain it any better than our Lord has, but I'll I'll give a shot. The Lord in of course, and.
Speaker 2: Soar as he talks about in in the Gospel, and he continues his ministry through the successors of.
Speaker 4: The apostles and the bishops, and the bishops who pass on the ministry to us the priests.
Speaker 2: Now, of course it's up with all Christians in their own way to spread and the sea. But mostly it's you know, you bring your friends and family to church, and.
Speaker 4: Then we try to die them as best as we can. But when when Lord talks about the sea here in the in the terrible.
Speaker 2: The sea by the west side, are they here in.
Speaker 4: The devil times and takes the word out of our hearts, sciatic believe and be safe? Well, that's that's terribly obvious that you know, the devil does not want to be of us to achieve salvation, to.
Speaker 2: Be saved by our prosn gorge, and so he does whatever he can to take the word of God out of our hearts. And then.
Speaker 4: After the the Lord says that the on the rock, they they can receive more of joy, but they have no roots. In other words, they receive the Gospel on a surface level. It doesn't penetrate into their hearts. And so when temptation comes, and it will He's come, they're quick to pass aside.
Speaker 2: They're crossed and go about and see worldly with the pleasures which he he speaks about later. The key.
Speaker 4: Is that even if we don't want to, we must take up our cross every single day and follow after the Lord.
Speaker 2: It's not easy. This may sound like when you first hear the parable. It may sound like a one kind of thing, but no, this is actually a terrible of the spiritual life. That is a daily occurrence.
Speaker 4: It's not that the sower is sowing the seed once and then it's okay, one and done. No, it is rather a daily or thing that the seed, the word of God is invited to come into our hearts, but we have to respond to it daily. And the way that we do that is by preparing the soil.
Speaker 2: The soil, of course is our parts. And now how do we prepare the soil? Well, anything that are gardening, You know anything about gardening, you know that you have to kill the soil. You have to break it up and make it so that it is receptive to the seeds that plants. Now, how do you do that in Christian life?
Speaker 4: Well, you begin by a forced prayer and by being practicing the virtues be kind to your neighbor.
Speaker 2: But also most importantly it's coming to church.
Speaker 4: Maybe use the sacraments, especially the sacraments of confession.
Speaker 2: And nuperous is very important. This is how we till the soil of our hearts and how we prepare to receive the Word of God in an honest.
Speaker 4: And good heart, have con heard the word and keeping it and bringing forth fruit with patience.
Speaker 2: Again, I much stress to you this is not a one and done thing.
Speaker 1: This is the.
Speaker 4: Spiritual life and the daily struggle. In the Gospel Awful Rosl Jesus.
Speaker 2: Said, let anyone who would just come after me, let you deny himself, take a his cross and follow me. But there is I I believe it's Mars Sospool, or maybe not re Gospel, where he.
Speaker 4: Says, let anyone who wus tonacy, let him deny himself daily and take up his cross and follow me. So the spiritual life is a process of daily self.
Speaker 2: Denial and of daily taken after cross. It becomes easy and very tempting. As Lord says, here to fall on thorns when they have heard, go forward in our choke with the cares and riches and the pleasures of this life.
Speaker 4: We wants.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to go to heaven. Let doone wants to die? Right? Hm? Hm, and it it.
Speaker 4: There's an inscription of one of the monasteries in an alcos that says, give you the.
Speaker 2: Die before you die, you will not die when you die.
Speaker 4: And this means, of course that if you die to yourself and you take up your cross fall of Christ.
Speaker 2: You went, you're into the kingdom of heaven.
Speaker 4: When you have physical death, which it is something that we all eventually have to face, but some of us, all of.
Speaker 2: Us really, it's not just lay people. It's months if priests and all of us. We're tempted to say, well.
Speaker 4: We want the good things now, we want the good things of heaven hero on earth, because the earth provides good things and pleasures for us. So let's have that now and then later when we're older and we're hearing that, we can focus on dependence and uh, you know, the spiritual life. What you don't understand is when you're older, you won't have the strength of the opportunity to seek retendance from the spiritual life.
Speaker 2: An example, my grandmother do not turn seventy nine years old. She's been Orthodox for a number of years, and she's no to me. She said, father, which she didn't call me father, be for the safe, but this one was that she probably fothered. Uh, she said, Father. I wish that I had been kind of Orthodoxical so much sooner, because I learned there's so much to learn and there's so much that is asked of me and my body and my brain is one plombia.
Speaker 4: And it basically said, because I know in her heart she wants to follow.
Speaker 2: The serious class. She does her best. She doesn't she was better than me, frankly, and just to put up to me, that's another thing. But she she does her best. And sam Dust, he says in his class at work the confessions late have I loved be a Lord? Saying God's sort of aggoing.
Speaker 4: My grandma all my Grandma's been a been a Christian for a whole life, but only recently in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Nor by Christ.
Speaker 4: You know this, this appreciation for uh not struggling when we had the strength yea to do so.
Speaker 2: And so that's what I really wanted to encourage you this morning.
Speaker 4: To do, is to remember that this what our work says here is a continuous action.
Speaker 2: It's the spiritual life, and that we must daily tell the soil and let the seed that.
Speaker 4: The sower brings to us, the word of God, take root in our hearts with clear it's clear the forms.
Speaker 2: Till the soil, break up the rough patches, and let the seed to take.
Speaker 4: Group in our hearts daily so that we may enter into you know part time.
Speaker 1: By thanks for listening to Hill Country homilies. For more information, visit Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church at www dot Denunciation t X dot com, and please join us again next week