Speaker 1: Thirty and the Boys game will be played at nine pm Eastern on est p N two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that means that the women are party already started, right and then the men. The men are coming after it. And there might be a chance with the kid from uh that might commit berce mm hmm from the you know, Arizona.
Speaker 3: He has an Arizona. It might be tonight, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says Michael Parsons long term deal is close to completion.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's no surprise. He's like their best player or something. I'm sure they want to lock him up forever.
Speaker 3: They just got to be better with whomever. Just be better.
Speaker 5: God.
Speaker 1: Missouri quarterback Drew Pine enters transfer portal as a graduate student.
Speaker 3: Isn't he Isn't this like the third or fourth school for him?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 3: He just mentioned. Drew Pine.
Speaker 1: And an NBA discipline for Piston's timbrel scuffle. Multiple players have been suspended.
Speaker 3: I saw that. Did you see that fight? I did not the headline.
Speaker 2: No, it was not like the brawl and the brawl back the Palace in the Palace, the mouse in the palace in the Palace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, Drew Pine. Yeah, Missouri Notre Dame in ASU. So now he's going to go to a Ford school.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Veteran defensive lineman Kalais Campbell agrees to a one year deal with the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Eighteen seasons. That's a long time to be playing football.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: He had some good years in his In his first go round with the Cardinals, he was one of their top defensive defensive players and then he went off and made a lot of money. I'm sure now he's going to finish up one more year seeing if there's anything else.
Speaker 2: No, I have the top five Wooden Award finalists, Broom obviously, Flag, the Kids from the Kid from Florida, The Guard Clayton, Walter Clayton, Who's fantastic them as Mark Sears and produced Braden Smith. Did you ever read the story? Were you with me when I had the Girl from the Woman from the Athletic marin you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Michelle from the Athletic?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no.
Speaker 2: She She did a feature on Caleb right before this tournament start. It was pretty good and Caleb opened up just you know how tough it's been with all the fan negativity, his mom chimed him chimed in, and not just here at North Carolina and his career how it was. He had a fantastic career if you look back, and it's not gonna be perfect, right, I mean, who has a perfect career besides a guy named Flag although he's only had one year on year, But for love, I don't know, if I were him, I'd probably labeled like an eighty eighty five fantastic moments and then not so fantastic moments.
Speaker 3: But isn't that about life?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean that's basically how we expected him when we got him here, to sort of see what, well, what are we getting? And I think we kind of got the mercurial player that a lot of people expected. And obviously the end of his career without that final victory was pretty spectacular. He carried the team basically the last few weeks of the season, which was what everybody had hoped for.
Speaker 3: I didn't that changed his dynamic. I think it did.
Speaker 4: And from the stuff I was reading too, there was a lot of nice things said by his teammates.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah afterwards.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I didn't see those because yeah, they were pretty they were very touching and very enlightening because even Viisar who came in, let me say something. I want to add to what he's been a great teammate.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's nice. Nice to make him feel good. And you didn't want to go out with a sour taste. I mean, he was a lot, a lot was expected of him. Again, as you're bringing in a bunch of new players over these last two years, and you're bringing a steady guy like him, well maybe not steady, but somebody that hope would be, you know, a leader, right he You know, he's like any other player. I mean, when he gets to the pros, it's gonna be the same way I would think, you know, if you can shoot say thirty to forty from three, And I don't know.
Speaker 3: If he'll make it, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Think no, he's projected as a late second rounder unless he really balls out somehow in the summer league and whatever, because he already has this label and he's a fifth year guy. Yeah, you know it is if you're older, it's tough, true. You know, he's the fifth year guy. He's inconsistent.
Speaker 3: Uh, he needed to.
Speaker 2: Get better and he did I think he did get better from last year to this year. And last year he was the first team you know, I'll pack to I'll pack to it. But he was also on All American. He was not that this year because of inconsistency. He was definitely inconsistent. But yeah, I mean, the.
Speaker 4: Last memories we're going to have of him with the U of Air, we're gonna be pretty strong. I think that's that's that's good for him. Hopefully he'll you know, remember remember that more than some of the inconsistencies of this last year. But the team recovered they did, you know, they got to this, you know, to the sweet sixteen, which I think everybody would would like to get to.
Speaker 3: But how many.
Speaker 2: If we went to early with commercials, oh, probably only have two, right, two spots left if that? If that, yeah, okay, so I don't want to go to that.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: We'll just continue to talk until we go to the regular regular time. Right about seven eight minutes, you have Chuck Culpiper here coming in from the Washington Post. Uh in about fifteen minutes, what else, No.
Speaker 4: I'm I think we're kind of waiting to see about the was it buris is whether or not he's gonna he's gonna commit tonight. That would be nice to have that lined up with a couple other commitments so far.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people are are hoping or signaling or whatever channeling because of these guys leaving. That would indicate something. You know, what do you call that the tea leaves or whatever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know we'll see butterfly effect.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, or the doves. You least released the doves. That's good news, the bad news, blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, yeah, that's you think the players will be talking about this amongst themselves. Hey, are you gonna day? Is this guy going to stay? Is am I going to get a chance if I come in? Am I going to sit on the bench? You know what? They all want to come in and play. And Carter Bryant, sureman, and he wanted to play. He didn't play nearly the minutes. I thought, I bet he thought he was going to get it. Sure, but sure you know that does he stay? Does he stick around? And you know see how they two goes.
Speaker 2: You probably didn't hear this commercial, this commercial, this press conference question from the same woman, Michelle uh forget her last name, who asked Tommy at the end of the press conference before they played Duke. I think it was that there was some talk among probably just you me, just people up and up in the Seattle talking about Henry and then the minutes he got that he that Sean Sean that Tommy would have or was purposely hiding him from from other coach, you know, other to being poached, that he didn't play him as often because he didn't want him to go to leave. And he he got offended by the question, obviously, and it came up again on a in a in a thread on Twitter, and I'm thinking they're still talking about this and he still left, not that he's still left. I don't think that was a reason, because he played a lot, and he played, They depended on him, you know, and and and dout trouble caused issues and and Tommy wouldn't I don't think why what would be the reason play him ten minutes twenty minutes because I want you to stay another year.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there was there was that controversy too about about a waka not playing. Remember there was Ye, Yeah, he got injured a little bit or whatever. He never was explained, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he never came back.
Speaker 4: He came back in like in like the last couple of minutes of the game, after sitting out like five or six minutes.
Speaker 2: That question was asked in fact by by colleague David Kelly, and Tommy didn't go there.
Speaker 3: But it's all long ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all old news now. I mean, I think they got to be looking forward to what's next. And I don't know how those coaches do it. I don't know they're all so they've got to have some wild spreadsheet going with all these guys leaving, and not that.
Speaker 2: You worked on roofs, not that you worked on roofs, or you worked on the roof not that you were a roofer, not that you worked on roofs, not you worked at the railroad. I'm prefacing by my next question is are you glad you're out of the business given what we have to see? Do you know what I'm saying, And not that it affects you, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like sour.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like, I mean, you had there was always hope for the future. It seemed like when you knew the guys were going to stick around for like three or four years. Hey, this guy's pretty decent as a freshman, was going to be sophomore because Lude always used to talk about the improvement between their freshmen and sophomore years was the biggest they would ever have. Yeah, that was one of his things. I always remember him saying. And now we don't even get to see that in a lot of cases. Right, So you know, like what does the Carter Brian does he think he's good enough to be a top fifteen pick or twenty pick? Is that worth it now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And what is the difference between a twenty pick and a top seven pick next year?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: If that happens, Yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot of money and time, I mean, big thing. These guys always talk about starting their clock, getting out into the NBA contract world because what they get. These can't really get their big contract for their third till their third year.
Speaker 2: Dave, the clock starts now because they're getting paid a ton of that's true too.
Speaker 3: There are a ton of money. And if it's if it's true that you're.
Speaker 2: Getting one point three to two point whatever, guess what those kids are getting paid that or or or a big nice fraction of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're being your neighbors because they're buying houses right next to you, not next to me.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, I mean up the road from horror offices, up the hills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's it's different. I mean, I don't know if I miss you know, the business because of that, but it's definitely something you have to think about.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: You just don't know what your team's going to look like, or who's who's going to play quarterback?
Speaker 3: Is he going to stick around?
Speaker 4: Is there going to be a new you know, it's all a changing attitude about uh well, future plans.
Speaker 2: Just and this is the the news cycle, right. So they finished their season Thursday, five days ago whatever it was. And then if you're a reporter or you're a TV guy and said, okay, let's look at the roster what they're gonna do. When you do your story of what's coming back and what they're going to do next year, that changes the day later exactly, and then it changes the day later after that, because that's how fluid it is.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, in your business you can you can turn around tonight and write that story. But in TV it's not going to get on the air for another you know day. Sometimes you know, there could be a whole lot. I guess you could put it online, but you're right, the media, Uh what's the word I'm looking for? Just releasing the information has changed where boom, you see it, you see it on Twitter, you see it on the local websites, and then you have to kind of, you know.
Speaker 3: Rewrite it, rewrite it yourself, rewrite it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll get your your angle to the story right.
Speaker 2: And that's just all speculation too, because you don't really have access to anybody to tell you what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if a guy, like, if they commit, I mean, what have they are they signing anything?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 2: When they commit, they could that could change their mind at any moment. Okay, have the sign. I'm not sure when the signing period is, but you have the sign, and then who knows. Nowadays you can sue and get out of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's so many things involved. I mean, besides.
Speaker 4: Besides that decision, but then the academic decision. And you know what am I doing in school? Am I really going to school? Am I working on a major? We talked about that these guys ever, you know they're really thinking about academics at all. And I always used to kind of be the you know, the backbone to everything was yeah, you know they still are working towards their degree. Well, yeah, how do you do that when you're transferring four times and four years?
Speaker 2: We talked about that, because the credits don't transfer and by that time you're you're probably already making two two and a half million dollars over life for your country.
Speaker 4: You don't hear anything much more about guys being academically ineligible anymore.
Speaker 3: You really don't.
Speaker 4: That was always hmm, whatever happened to that guy? He doesn't come back for the second semester. That was the story. Every year there'd be a question whether or not the roster will be intact, let alone in the summer.
Speaker 3: It was the winter. Have to worry about guys with that. Well here's another thing. I don't you subscribe to the Athletic.
Speaker 8: So I do.
Speaker 2: And they had a nice little story and I didn't read all of it, and I'm sure it's long. The guys in the final four. So Kelvin was in trouble right a few years back, making too many calls in Indiana, YadA, YadA, and then there's probably more to it. Bruce Pearl with his situation and he was in the Sean kind of that time the time frame with a wiretap two and there was a third one, uh not Florida. Guy Golden was in trouble in San Francisco. Something was there, something happened there, There's something, there's there's there was like three or four they highlighted and those things are no longer an issue. They're just it's like those rules are so antiquated, blah blah blah, and now you kind of almost can do whatever you want with within reason.
Speaker 3: The Golden one was a little bit rough. I mean, look at that story.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't want to say anything wrong here, but some things, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in trouble here at Florida before the season started with the co Eds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, maybe that's when I'm with the co Eds and San Francisco Stocky No, well maybe, but it was stalking whatever.
Speaker 3: But he got cleared from that from yeah.
Speaker 4: So and the Bruce Pearl that goes way back because he's done a lot of years when he was.
Speaker 2: An assistant, he's had he's had it a few times. But he was part of the Shawn Miller thing too, where they had his his check person, check.
Speaker 3: Person was his assistant. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: So, and I want to talk about another guy who went to TV and really rehabilitated himself for a couple of years and then he came back to and he's got that personality.
Speaker 3: He's great on television. Yeah, let's take a break. Let's take a break and see if we can get ahold of Chuck. And I hope this commercials work.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 3: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with a casino Dell soul, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco.
Speaker 10: Yuki try The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health.
Speaker 3: Our goal is to help you.
Speaker 12: Choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best. You deserve Arizona Health from leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 13: Salespeople, managers and agents with a Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon A b K nine two nine to four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyndrixyn credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change.
Speaker 3: Don't notice? Did you know?
Speaker 7: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere tru Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Baccall five two oh seven to four to Roho twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball, Go cats.
Speaker 8: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 15: Why mining so important? It's the foundation of everything that the society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals in the process. That's whylin name is so important.
Speaker 3: GYBM dot com.
Speaker 10: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The window depot is here to help. At the window Depot. We're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 6: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravia on Fox sportsporteenth day. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to My the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, and today with me is Dave Silver. Now we have Chuck cull Pepper from the Washington Post. Chuck, how are you hi?
Speaker 5: Steve? Hi?
Speaker 16: Dave doing fine?
Speaker 2: We're doing great here. Thank you very much for joining us. How how has this road been for you to the final four?
Speaker 5: You mean where and so on?
Speaker 3: How has it been? I'm sure you've been busy.
Speaker 5: Ah, Let's see Providence and then and then Newark. Sorry, I uh, I saw some things. Did you see?
Speaker 3: Did you? Were you able to see Arizona?
Speaker 5: Duke? I was, I was right there.
Speaker 3: What were your impressions? What were your impressions of the game?
Speaker 5: I thought Arizona looked very good. But Duke looks? What does Duke look? How would we put it? I hate when people say, oh, one of the greatest games ever, you know, stuff like that. So but boy does it look It's it's orgeous basketball they're playing, and it's it's just a I mean, I guess when the king hands like Skiszewski hang hands over the program to somebody else, even someone who's been an understudy for a long time, you know, people wonder and natural to wonder. But my goodness, this looks like, as you know, for as full of stars as it is, as as just well drilled and well put together a team as you as you're likely to find in many a march.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's basically got what three first round picks in his starting lineup. I mean, it's quite the talent and quite the talent going to San Antonio this weekend. And I know you wrote about it, just you know, these are the titans of basketball?
Speaker 15: Is this is this?
Speaker 4: What we should be expecting, you know, moving forward, that these top teams are going to keep getting rich and rich.
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah, I don't think so. I think I think we can expect, well, what I expect. It might be wrong, but what I expect is like a hodgepodge. Like two years ago we had a four or five of five and a nine. You know, it was the first year without any top three seeds in the final four. And now that we have this, you know, the intensifying of the nil and transfer portal and so on, we have four ones. But something Rick Patino said when we were in Providence kind of made me think about how, you know, he said that when you play a thirteen seed nowadays, or in his case he was playing a fifteen seed, but these lower seeds have never been closer in caliber to the higher seeds. And I think that's because the transfer portal can work various ways for people. So I think I don't expect to see it looked like this many years.
Speaker 2: No, because I think it's cyclical or you know, not trending. Because you're exactly right, three three, two, three years ago, the Florida's of that small school whatever it was before Atlantic and you have those schools that sneak in because they play well? Right, did you before the seasons before the tournament started, did you do a bracket?
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 5: I usually never do one. What I usually do is wait till the games a Finnish and then I fill it in.
Speaker 3: Win every year.
Speaker 5: But this year somebody asked me to do one, so I did one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so I'm curious.
Speaker 2: Did you see I had all the four number ones going to this part and I'm still wow.
Speaker 3: But but come on, that's talking. That was easy.
Speaker 2: Uh it was to me, but I'm still not doing all. I'm in the top thirty, but that's about. That's about it because I blew the first grounds. But I think it's easy. And you had to have had two or three of these because they're that good.
Speaker 5: I had just one. I had Duke. Really, but there's a count counter intuition that goes on sometimes where you're like, oh, they're not you know because those only two thousand and eight, when you know those four teams were all one. That's the only other year that this happened. So I was out thinking myself to saying, uh, I had Clemson in the final fourth. They were gone before I ate lunch that day, I was, I was there at their mcnee's game, you know. So so you know I overthought it, I think, and you know, I kept reading, Oh, it's a really top heavy.
Speaker 2: Year, and so it is the reason I ask is I don't think that Duke's gonna win it. I've said this for a while now, fair because I've loved I've loved Florida since late December early January. And I really like Houston after seeing them a few times, and I think the world of Samson Colvin. So you know what I'm saying. And I don't see Duke enough. I don't see Albert enough, boss, although I see him, But the Borda and Houston means I did just catch.
Speaker 5: Me sure, And I mean, how can you watch Walter Clayton yeah and think they're ever gonna lose? You know that thing on last Saturday in San Francisco. You know that that was just like a level of will that again we talk about you don't see all the time. So any one of these four teams can win this final four. It's true and often not true, you know, but any one of these came Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, Arizona had its first taste of the Big Twelve this year, and I you know, they hung in. I think a lot of people in Tucson were worried that they were going to be you know, pushed around a little bit. But did you get a chance to see much of the Big Twelve, you know, being based on the East Coast at all?
Speaker 5: I didn't. I watched. I watched Arizona in the Big Twelve tournaments, some because I was home during a conference tournament week, which isn't often the case, but I so, yeah, I watched. And then of course I saw I think saw the Oregon game right, and so so much much of what I saw was later. I think the Big Twelve.
Speaker 4: With you know, Texas Tech died quite well to d YU was kind of my sleeper pick in my in myos should.
Speaker 3: Not be ashamed of themselves, right the Big Twelve?
Speaker 5: Oh, I know they did quite oh yeah, oh yeah, and you know quite also very very close to having half the final four, very close. Yes.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you in your oppression, what were your impressions? Obviously you got a great taste taste test out there in New York with with Caleb, what were your impressions of him.
Speaker 3: Were you in the press conferences with him too.
Speaker 5: Or I was, and I thought it was really Yeah, that was a powerful moment, I think for for everybody that and even though those of us who knew very little about the team hadn't hadn't seen it that much, just that moment of you know, unsolicited uh report for him, And yeah, I think it. I don't think I ever had. I kind of because I tend to as a to wake up in a confidence crisis every day. I'm automatically drawn to people who are willing to shoot the ball all the time. I just think that's something I don't have and kind of wish I had more of. So I never had a real I didn't have that negative impression of him, you know that I've heard about, you know, And all I can think about when I think about him is that mad night in New Orleans when he hit that shot to pretty much clean ship for North Carolina against Duke. So but I thought he was great in the in the Duke game. I really did. And it's so yeah, that was I mean, that was a case of you know, that Arizona team. I'm not saying that it would have beaten any of these four number one seeds. You know, I'm not saying that it had it run into a different number one seed, it would have won. But I do think it's a team that maybe in another another season sort of would have could have really stuck around even longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, has the season been fun for you? I know you were busy with with football until part of the National Championship game, but has a bit have you been busy with hoops and and up until this point? What up until the tournament? What team did you say, Okay, besides maybe Duke that had a chance to win it all, I haven't.
Speaker 5: Been as busy with it as usual because we we kind of made a strategy to pour a lot into March madness this year. We always do, but even to sort of kind of center it there more. But the one game I did travel a good ways too was the so called Iron Bowl, Uh, the the Alabama Auburn game that in Tuscal. Loose of the first one because the road teams won both of those games, which is unexpected, but and so that kind of that made me see Auburn as a team. You know, everybody talks about how aged it is how experienced, you know, how the ages of the starters and so on. But I was so impressed that day when they went into Alabama and they were ranked one and Obama two I think at that point. And so they went in there and Bama kept charging at him and they kept, you know, fending it off. And I've I've sort of thought about them all year. That's why I say, I just think they have a lot, a lot to them, And that's why I say that. You know. In addition, obviously Florida can win this thing, as you say, and it's been a popular pick to do so and in Houston, but I also think Auburn can can win it. I've been kind of just impressed with them all the way along.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they should all be tight games.
Speaker 4: I'm like, and I don't know, I haven't even looked to the spreads, but it's got to be pretty close.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one, I don't think anybody go ahead, yep. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's funny we're all looking for some tight games, aren't we, because we haven't had that many and been a lot been a lot of talk about it, and you know there are years when that happens. I was looking back, I was thinking back on some years like nine o seven, where there's no game that really lingered, and there are some tournaments where there's not a game that sort of stays around in people's memories five years later, you know, and then there's years, you know, when there's three or four of them. So I think it's just by chance we've gotten kind of we had only one overtime game and one buzzer beater and not a lot of close stuff.
Speaker 4: No, no interesting collection of coaches too. I mean, a couple of guys have been around for a long time and then two young young coaches. What does that say you can think about just that that the profession and maybe we're h where it's headed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do think. I do think that's a really good, good point that you know, it's it's, uh, you got this generation coming on. And you know, we've talked a lot in recent years about how this well, the stars of college basketball have often been the coaches, unlike the NBA, and and we've talked about how many of them, how many of the big stars have have either retired or or just dropped out in the last few years. Williams Chefsky Bay, I'm Bennett you know, you know, and and so I don't. It will take some time, I think too, to have people become familiar with these these new guys. And these new guys you know, do seem a little more like technicians than so far than the and that kind of grizzled old guard. But I you know, this is the first step towards two of them becoming I think, really familiar kind of fixtures in people's minds in you know, sports fans in general, not just college basketball fans.
Speaker 2: You've probably been too busy with the tournament and all that stuff, But what do you what are your thoughts on what's going on with the with the transfer portal now?
Speaker 5: And then I well, I think about I feel like a misset. I guess I think about that in in Ah an entirely different way from I never hear what I think about it said all that much, which is I just think that college sports has always been this really crazy thing other countries. There aren't any other countries that do it anywhere near to the extent that we do and value it and you know, make it important the way we do. The whole idea that you could have another you know, saying basketball for example, you know, you have an NBA champion and that's valued, but then you have a whole this other tier of the sport itself that's also value. This is really like rare human behavior. That's it might have been moving.
Speaker 3: Overseas for a while that.
Speaker 5: Made me think about it that way, But that's kind of the way I always think about it. Therefore, I just see this transfer portal that that the door opens in the middle of the tournament, and it's just one more really nutty thing about college sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's something about the calendar. I mean, I don't think it needed to be done that it really needed to be done before the end of the tournament.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's taken away.
Speaker 4: A lot of the headlines of this week has been that and not so much these four teams that are still left.
Speaker 5: And you're right, and that's another That's another thing that always intrigues me about sports fans is you know, the attention to that is based on the fact that people people are are often a little more interested in what's going to happen than what's right.
Speaker 3: Very much true, very true.
Speaker 4: Un Plus, you have your team, you know, we're sitting here in Tucson, all worried about what the roster is going to look like in five months, and we can we I guess we can do that now because we don't concentrate on on Florida and Duke and those schools.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's true, that's true. That's true. It would be nice to have it set apart the way normal sports do, you know, and and to where we could start talking about it after it was done, and that would be a whole. So the two things didn't cover each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So as you get ready for San Antonio, I'm sure you because you're not a you cover you don't really write about the games. You're more of a feature, look ahead type of guy. What what's coming up for you this weekend?
Speaker 5: So I'm I'm writing about I'm very intrigued by Duke's big Man and the fact the seven to two from South Sudan Common and and the and the thing about it is there are actually four players in the final four as I understand it, who came through those NBA programs. Uh, two of them from the one in Senegal. It's NBA Academy Africa, I think they call it. And then you know so and then Proctor for Duke Australia, and so I'm kind of keeping an eye on that and we'll get you know, we'll get there early, and we'll have a bit of access to them, not as much as we used to have. But I'm kind of focusing on that, and then something about the the coaches as well, just just as you were.
Speaker 3: Saying, we gotta we gotta go.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this question, because everyone's everyone who plays Duke talks about it, and Arizona fans talked about it, and so did the last game they played.
Speaker 3: They talked about it.
Speaker 2: Is it by the naked eye of Chuck Culpepper and the refs?
Speaker 3: Do they treat them differently?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't think so either.
Speaker 5: I don't notice that I noticed people reacting to it, But but no, I don't. I don't, you know, I I in fact, I was just thinking about the Bama the Duke Alabama game, for example. I was noticing things that went the other way too that kind of were surprising. I think officiating is so hard that I kind of expect these errors to come up, but I saw him going lots of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well that's two people. You and Dave and I feel the same way.
Speaker 3: It's not that it was just a question, because it's something that happened, you know.
Speaker 4: It's happened a couple of big, big moments for Arizona and their history, and of course they're going to remember those moments, right.
Speaker 3: So it's weird.
Speaker 2: Chuck, as always, thank you man be saved in San Antonio.
Speaker 5: How fu great to talk to you. Thank you be well.
Speaker 3: Okay, same as you think, Chuck. Call Pepper.
Speaker 2: He's with the Washington Post. A great, insightful guy. I love having them other. And we'll take the break here and come back.
Speaker 17: This report is sponsored by Progressive Insurance.
Speaker 6: Fox Sports fourteen fifty am.
Speaker 18: Traffic I ten eastbound and westbound between Sandario Road and Tangerine Road is closed due to an accident. Now we also have an accident at ten eastbound near mileposts three seventy three. The right lane is blocked there. Valencia at sixth Avenue a crash. Neuronha at first Avenue a wreck. That's a check of traffic.
Speaker 17: At Progressive, they're making things even easier. They'll help you bundle your home end car insurance together so you can save on both. Learn more at Progressive dot com or one one hundred Progressive that's Progressive dot com or one eight hundred Progressive.
Speaker 19: Calling all Costco members and deal ofvers ready to elevate your odor fighting game, Find Old Spice Swagger deodorant at Costco and at least twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Freshness when used daily.
Speaker 19: Old Spice Swagger isn't just any deodorant, It's the number one aluminum free deodorant brand, providing long lasting sent and twenty four seven odor protection. When us daily, you'll smell so good you might just attract a fan club. Don't wait, grab your four pack of Swagger deyodoring at cost Go now, because.
Speaker 3: Freshness it's mandatory.
Speaker 20: Whether you're tinkering in your garage or tackling big projects. If you know the value of working with your hands, you know Harbor Freight, and you can be confident knowing that at Harbor Freight you can get quality tools at prices that work just as.
Speaker 5: Hard as you do.
Speaker 20: Because the only thing more satisfying than a job well done is a job well done well under budget. Whatever you do, do it for less at Harbor Freight.
Speaker 21: Jake from State Farm, I just beat my running pr so.
Speaker 17: I'm celebrating with the Banana Banances movie.
Speaker 19: Hey, and you can keep celebrating when you create an affordable price just for you by bundling your home and auto with the State Farm Personal Price Plan.
Speaker 22: Go Bananas, I will hey at large.
Speaker 3: Bundling just another way to save with the Personal Price Plan. Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there. Prices are based on rating plans that vary by state.
Speaker 14: Coverage options are selected by the customer availability, amount of discounts and savings, and eligibility vary by state.
Speaker 3: This is the Parker and Sun's Weather Center.
Speaker 23: For all your azy, plumbing and electric needs, Call Parker.
Speaker 3: This report is sponsored by Arizona Lottery.
Speaker 6: This is your storm Tracker for weathercast from News four to two soon on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 23: This is storm tracker for meteorologists Danel McFarlane.
Speaker 22: The strong wins are going to be continuing through the evening and we are expecting.
Speaker 14: A pretty big pool down getting into tomorrow.
Speaker 23: Highs are only going to be in the mid sixties.
Speaker 3: This is storm tracker for meteorologists. Jana McFarland with News four to two.
Speaker 21: Song when you play the Arizona Lottery there's always a chance you'll win big, but there's also a guarantee that you'll be giving back to the community. There's joy in it all, love the play with scratchers, drug games, and more from the Arizona Lottery.
Speaker 3: If you're an.
Speaker 2: Arizona men's basketball fan, you'd know what's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Take a look back at the Loudelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 22: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month if you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four a doh three five five.
Speaker 23: One four four four four a DOHO three five five one four four four what's your goal a new career or career? How about transferring to a four year college.
Speaker 13: PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu.
Speaker 3: Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered, don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Help Arizona Health Arizona Health, of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 12: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 22: Arizona Health from leading Madge An exercise Equipment on twenty second.
Speaker 23: This quest of will not.
Speaker 24: Craving Tucson's best burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration, So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 25: At Pyramid Better Old Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's pieas means more money in your pocket, Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum pairmid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 6: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show call out Steve now went five two oh four one six seventy four Ford.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in the loot here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in today's Dave Silver. You've got kobeat the controls. If you want to call, this is a perfect time. Five two zero four one six seventy four forty will take your call, talking whatever you want to talk about college basketball primarily, and we did have news that Lauren Swan right another trance leaving a freshman saying goodbye. Gosh, I'm not sure if that program is going to be able to survive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean they're gonna have to. These were all players that they recruit out of high school. These are freshmen that are now leaving. So that's where they got to be frustrating for everybody around there, thinking all the work it took just to get them here, get a really good class, and then they disappear that quickly.
Speaker 3: We've got to call hello, you on the air and one on the ball. Who's this.
Speaker 5: Hi, Steve? This is done? Don?
Speaker 3: What's the word?
Speaker 16: Apparently it's portal?
Speaker 5: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I mean you're you're a big fan. I think I can call you a big fan. Is it disheartening what you're seeing? What's the word that you're want to use?
Speaker 25: Well?
Speaker 16: I just don't know what what to think, you know, because you know, there's there's there's no disclosure as to you know, the reasons.
Speaker 5: Why is it me? Is it playing time? Is it the fit?
Speaker 23: You know?
Speaker 16: I mean guys that didn't play like Steven, you know, he didn't play, so right there, it looks like it would be you know, maybe playing time.
Speaker 5: I think he was hurt.
Speaker 16: But you know, then you see the recruits that are coming in, so guys are you know they're saying, well, you know that's.
Speaker 5: He's coming in.
Speaker 16: He's not coming in here to see it.
Speaker 2: No. I you know what, at the end of the day, I think, I know you're right because we as journalists, at least I'm not a journalist like that anymore. But you don't get these specifically, Okay, well you don't get like two minutes with them. Why'd you decide to do this? And if even if we did, would we be told the truth? No, I don't think you would.
Speaker 4: And usually they when they would leave, they would not really explain it. They would just say I've decided to leave it. Even nowadays they just put it on social media and they you know, it's a standard.
Speaker 16: But yeah, go ahead, done, Yeah, and it's it's a standard. Me and my family thought of this.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 16: The real question is what what was the NCAA thinking when they closed the door and just walked out. You know, they let you know, they knew that the nil stuff money was getting passed around for decades, so they knew that that was happening, so they turned it loose but with no regulations. But I just don't understand is you know, how could you think that that was going to work? And how could you think that you know, the has still have more than anybody else, so you know, you know how much was is really going to change? I didn't open things up. And then you know the narrative was it, Well, it's so that the players can make money. You know, have some money, but you know they they could have done it with they could have started out with a salary cap and adjusted. And then I understand, and the portal opening for a team if the coach leaves, that's only fair. But you know, just the way that the portal opened up in the middle of the tournament, you know, you for any sport, the portal shouldn't open at all. It shouldn't be open at all during the season.
Speaker 3: True, no use.
Speaker 16: Even if a coach gets fired mid season, you know that team, well, you know what, the season's already started. Those guys, you know you'll have to live with it till the end of the season. It's not like you're going to transfer mid season, right.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you both, you guys, but so do you think this happens and so Don at University X is uh interested in Steve's Steve's team or a guy on Steve's team in October, November, December, and he starts communicating with him and saying, you know, when the season's over, why don't you come to us.
Speaker 3: This is what I can secure money for you. And some time you think that happens, I.
Speaker 16: Think it happens.
Speaker 3: It happens.
Speaker 16: I think it's always happened. Yes, I think it's always happened before the before it was, before it was up above board.
Speaker 5: It's always happened.
Speaker 16: Hey, man, you're not really happy.
Speaker 5: Over there, are you.
Speaker 2: I'm sure these deals have been made months in advance, and that's where I was gonna go with it.
Speaker 3: That's where I was going.
Speaker 4: You know, Henry announces yesterday and maybe tomorrow or you know, in the next week we find out where he's going, and that's probably been in the works for months.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, it's not like he's just because I don't I don't think a decision like that in a couple of days. I don't think a guy decides, you know, I think I think this is not the place for me. And two days later he announces a new place that that did not happen in two days, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And that's to me, that's the sad part of it that you know, you've been trying to pope and and not that it doesn't happen just a couple of places. It's happened everywhere. It could happen here too. You know, we're looking at this and after the season, YadA YadA, because you know everybody does it.
Speaker 16: I guess, yeah, I don't. I don't think there's going to ever be any way of stopping the poaching. But what do you think that if they had a if they had a salary cap, and if they if they if the poor, if the portal times made sense.
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's an issue to both you guys too. Uh And I think I don't know if I said this during the show. So you have the Ohio States, the Texas Is, you have the Michigan's and this could be more than football. More in football, these big schools with the Bamas blah blah blah. And we know who they are, right, the blue bloods of that even in basketball too, and Arizona's not that blue blood, right, it's in the it's in the second tier, and it's always been in the second tier. They're always even under these conditions, it's going to be more in the second tier, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 3: I would think so.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it solidifies the second tier. And you know, it just depends on how much money the school has and into.
Speaker 5: Which tier you end up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: No, if a certain booster, a certain booster wins the power Ball for five hundred million, he goes, well, I don't need this because I got my own billion, and he throws it at a university, he throws it at you. Tip, Well, guess who's the new SMU.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, no, totally. Imagine if you were you tap.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you're in New Mexico, Colorado State's the San Diego states of the world, and you're not even in the second tier.
Speaker 4: No, you're you're just hoping some alum makes it big, strikes it rich. I mean, who knows.
Speaker 2: Every year, Yeah, every year we talk about this because I saw this on Facebook too. Why would why would Dawn give a five hundred thousand or fifty thousand even for this year and then say, duncan you do it again next year? Well?
Speaker 3: What the hell happened to my fifty thousand this year. Where'd that player go?
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, and pick a sport. Yeah, you know, a certain alarm throws the midst of throwing let's say two million dollars at the softball program Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Who that's right.
Speaker 16: You could throw those two million dollars. You could throw them at the top two pitchers in softball and nobody's gonna beat you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know you could.
Speaker 16: You could do the same thing with the baseball program. I mean, if you you know, because the football program is going to cost you too much, you'd have to have a conglomeration of of of donors to support that. But you could, you know, one donor could make in the non revenue sports could really make a huge difference when all of a sudden, all of a sudden, you're install blue blood what price victory?
Speaker 5: Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: I mean if you if you've got the spare change're sitting around you and you want to you want to buy a softball team, that's how you would do it.
Speaker 3: I would guess we got to go.
Speaker 16: Thank you done, Yeah, thanks, guys, have a good evening.
Speaker 3: Spare change that's going into my eight court account.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine though, he's right, if you think about it, I'm sure these that's how these pictures go from.
Speaker 3: School to school. That Stanford the members Stanford Pitcher went to Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just like Texas Tech. Really, I mean well, I know she did, but it's just like you're leaving Stanford. Well, it's like the picture that went from Oklahoma to Nebraska. I think it wasn't then she got hurt. You know, the stud stud Pitcher. They got him all these times. Uh, strange but true. You know, it's crazy, got to get razy times. You know, it's hard to keep track and hard to understand.
Speaker 3: What, you know, the whys of the world.
Speaker 4: You guys used to get in trouble for getting, you know, a McDonald's hamburger from a friend, and now they can't even.
Speaker 2: Well you remember that story, well, you know you with Sean Sean Nelly. I think it was in the book Time or two where he and Luke went to some kind of function and game a twenty to get a something to eat for lunch.
Speaker 4: Right, and do you remember the story? I think I think he told that story at the at the Lootles and Dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, right, right, so you know he went and got a big neck there. Back then there were like three dollars whatever, and he was he was God again. I hope he doesn't ask for the change, And lude asked for the change because he was kind of a tight one, but he didn't want to violate any rules, you know whatever. And he says, God, I could eat McDonald's for six days on twenty bucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Nowadays, I don't understand how it even works. I'd kind of like to see how those guys live their lives these days. There used to be such a big deal when you'd think something was up, you know, because somebody's got a nice car.
Speaker 3: What's going on here? Nowadays, you know, it's like if they don't have a nice car, help.
Speaker 2: Another thing we were talking about the past, the coaches that were in Charles Sean allegedly did did or did not give DeAndre ten whatever ten whatever money.
Speaker 3: Now it's like, that's that's that's antiquated.
Speaker 4: Do you imagine if he was in the nil era, he would he didn't last Arizona more than one year anyway, but the money that he would have, you know, if it was all.
Speaker 3: Legit at the time, when Sean would never have been in trouble yeah, I mean that's that those were it's allowed now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically, I mean he was such a highly regarded recruise and all these guys are, you know.
Speaker 3: Making in the millions. Just what is new now or what is new?
Speaker 18: And is that?
Speaker 3: And it doesn't seem that long ago? What was seven years ago?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Seven years ago?
Speaker 5: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that long ago?
Speaker 4: Doesn't seem like it seems like Deanna Rain's been around for a long time. But yeah, still in the NBA, I guess somewhere out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Portland, Portland. But you don't hear his name, no, not.
Speaker 5: Like you did.
Speaker 3: I mean, even when he was on the Suns for a brief time, you heard him his name mentioned more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay, anything else there you gotta dat Kobe. No else breaking on the old interweb.
Speaker 5: Not much that I see.
Speaker 4: Okay, what about Alex so Vegkin chasing Wayne Gretzky. He's only four goals behind? Now breaking news? Football is football? Spring game pretty soon a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 4: Plus we're approaching the NBA and NHL playoffs, which is kind of a fun time here.
Speaker 3: I always enjoyed that stuff. You watch the hockey I.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 4: I like, I love the hockey playoffs, but just the year that that time of year, like in April when everything's kind of overlapping with the playoffs and baseball is going, you know, you throw in the n NFL draft.
Speaker 3: April is kind of a fun month as we begin April first and.
Speaker 2: Then June hitson and we had how many be by myself with you on the radio. What do you want to talk about?
Speaker 5: Dave?
Speaker 3: But when's that first football game? Who we playing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you got a report from fall camp, fall right, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's gonna come around pretty soon. We'll see how these guys do. There's not gonna there's not gonna be.
Speaker 5: A spring game.
Speaker 2: When is the spring I think it's the eighteenth, the day before think Thanksgiving Easter, Okay, and it's gonna be a low key type of thing with you know, no no real scrimmage game, right with some people back and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna do autographs and then have something.
Speaker 2: You see the tweet from John Gruden, No, I guess you Bay Football sent him a big package of stuff.
Speaker 3: Some merch merch.
Speaker 5: Why.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to come out. I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but he's got a bag for his No, but he's pretty popular again on the internet. Uh, you know, so he wants to coach again? Why not, right, Yeah, it'll be tough to take a chance on him. We'll see. Okay, let's go. I think we're good to go. Thanks everybody for listening today. Sorry for the hiccups at the beginning, but we went okay. Thanks Dave for coming in. Sure, we'll see what happens this week. I got Blake coming in tomorrow, So thanks everybody again.