Speaker 1: When you make decisions for your company, you always look for the no brainers, and if you have a lot of MAILI and shipping to do, stamps dot Com is the ultimate no brainer. It streamlines your process to make your business more efficient, which makes you less busy, mail checks, invoices, legal documents, books, and everything you need to keep your business running. With stamps dot com, seamlessly connect with every major marketplace and shopping card if you sell online, schedule package pickups through the dashboard, and automatically see your cheapest and fastest shipping options from different carriers with rates up to eighty nine percent off USPS and UPS rates. And with the stamps dot Com mobile app, you can take care of mailing and shipping wherever you are, even on the go. Make the same no brainer decision as over one million other business decision makers with stamps dot Com. Sign up at stamps dot Com with Code Program for a special offer that includes a four week trial plus free postage and a free digital scale, no long term commitments or contracts. That's Stamps dot Com Code Program.
Speaker 2: The Coca Cola Company, Cure of Doctor Pepper and Pepsi Co are bringing consumers more choices with less sugar than ever before. From sparkling flavored and bottled waters to zero sugar sports drinks, teas and sodas, Consumers are taking advantage of these choices. In fact, nearly sixty percent of beverages sold contains zero sugar. To learn more of visit balanceus dot org.
Speaker 3: Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim your free welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Laine.
Speaker 1: No processary dvoid overripy.
Speaker 4: I lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: With lucky landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: Really, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride.
Speaker 5: And groom Mury. Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 7: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guest registry in lu case, I pronounce you Lucky Hiks for.
Speaker 5: Free at Lucky land slots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board.
Speaker 8: We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions of applag see website for details.
Speaker 3: Lock Talk Radio.
Speaker 9: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 10: Good evening with details about grim and grizzly fatalities. This history of California's are Caine Deaths encompasses the murders and accidents that at one time shocked the West Coast. The stories of hangings, gun accidents, suicides, crashes, and overdoses of both the famous and obscure offer a bizarre, if sometimes perverse glimpse into the Golden State's strange past, including frightening murder tales like the rape, torture and child murder in the Ape Boy, a doctor slaughters his family and death in Davis House, the unsolved savage murder of an entire family in the Ketty Murders, and a young female psychopath in Penny for Her Thoughts. The book that we are featuring this evening is Death in California The bizarre, freakish, and just curious ways people die in the Golden State with my special guest, journalist and author David Colchick. Welcome back to the program, and thank you for agreeing this interview. David Colchick, Hey, thanks for having me back. Thank you very much. It wasn't so long ago we spoke to and so thank you for pinch hitting today for this interview. So thank you very much. Let's dive right into this. What I find fascinating with this retro crime here historic true crime is all the things I didn't know about strange true crime history. So we won't be talking about too many stories, but we'll feature about just like in the introduction, we'll feature about five or six stories or really give people an idea of what kind of book this is and some of the stories that are contained in But for our audience and I think for anybody that might buy this book to find it fascinating. Your introduction and you talk about the headlines have always been that murder in California. But tell us about the state of before there was a really good reason to come to California. The people that were there first will say, in this country we call them Aboriginals or first nations. Talk about how for those first people, murder was pretty foreign concept to them and why.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the Aboriginies that lived in California before the invasion of the Europeans, they lived at the Garden of Eden. They traded with each other, and they basically had their villages along the major rivers that flow through the valleys. And of course they're on the coast and things like that, but the being population was in the valleys of the Sacramento of the San Joaquin and along the rivers that flow into those two rivers that it's named after. And they had villages about every couple miles. Actually, I lived right by one that used to be one of the largest ones in California. They even had restaurants. They found evidence that there were restaurants there, which I find just fascinating. But they did not murder each other, and if they did, it was it was a very big deal. They basically lived in harmony and traded and married up and down the rivers into San Francisco Bay. They've found maybe one hundred and fifty miles inland seashells that were from the San Francisco Bay. So they had this wide ranging trading area. And then right around when Carson came through, they all caught small pox and measles and ninety percent of them died. So by the time the gold Rush happened, the Aborigines that lived here, it was kind of like Mad Max, where you know, they were just the stragglers, the survivors of a great disaster.
Speaker 10: I think one of the most profound things was, and I want to expand upon what type of again might sound idealistic, but what kind of We'll say simple, it wasn't very much population at that time, but we're still a society, definitely a distinct society. But what was the punishment for something like murder? And why was that punishment in that society? Why did that suffice.
Speaker 11: So what did they do?
Speaker 10: How did that work?
Speaker 11: Yeah, if someone did commit murder and they would be banished by their families in the village and all the other villages, and they were snubbed by all the other villages and tribes and weren't getting around really fast, and they would be outcasts in their own societies. They would they would be just complete losers. They'd be out of the loop. They wouldn't They would be banished from their families, and that was everything to them. And a lot of times if they did, you know, let's say it was accidental and someone got murdered, then the village would work out a deal with the other village where it happened, because it never happened in the same village. There was never murders within their village. Ever, if they were goofing around with another tribe, they would they would have to the person that murdered would be forced to be their servant at that village for whatever amount of years they arranged. Yeah, so once they did their certain sentence, that everything would be forgiven.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's very interesting the juxtaposition that you present, even in the introduction and then your other book about murder in California as well, is that this society was unique in that, Again, I've never heard tell of anything like this where the society itself made sure or ensured that people wouldn't murder because there was nowhere else to go, unlike how our society is. As somebody is a deviant of society, they're put in a prison, but within the prison then they have a community, we'll say, And once they get out of prison, or even before, there's certainly a division. But in that primitive we'll say society, unbelievably, murder was a very very rare thing. Now you talk about the re olympetus for people coming to California and for all the and for people over the centuries or over the decades coming to California, and tell us what that reason is. And tell us about again about the headline about the murder in terms of murdering California and family members. Once these people had gone to California, they were looking at the newspapers. So tell us a little bit about that phenomena. Once California was a very popular place to go to.
Speaker 11: Well, even today, there's always a headline in a magazine or newspaper or internet site that says death in California, it seemed to be that's probably the most used headline ever. And you know, California, it's the sheer size of it is, you know, is just mind boggling. And with all the we have over one hundred mountain ranges California and forty five percent of the of the land in California is covered by forests. I think that's a lot of things that people don't think of, how forest died this area is. You know, people come here, they always come here to change their lives, to have a new opportunity. We've had gold rushes, We've had land rushes, We've had multiple land rushes. You know, if there's a bubble that's going to start, it's going to start here. Any fad, it's going to start here in California. This is this is where everything starts starts. And you know there's you can you can make a go at things in California if you if you really, you know, have a shot at it. You can you can really have a shot at at having something work out to your advantage living here.
Speaker 10: But you talk about really the gold Rush being the impetus for much more than just migrant migration in terms of a real impetus for murder. I mean, the incredible profits that were at least imagined and realized by some people was a real good impetus for murder suddenly being a lot more common and not rare at all.
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, anytime you have something of value, there's always going to be somebody there that's going to want to take it away from you. There's a lot of ways to die in California. You know, there's there's a lot of industry, there's you know, firming accidents can happen pretty easily, and you know there's there's a thousand ways to die in California.
Speaker 8: M hm.
Speaker 10: Well, let's get to that right away, because we have some incredible stories to cover in here. The more again you say, bizarre, freakish, just curious. Well we'll get to the bizarre and the freakish and murder it. And let's start off with one really colossal story, because this is amazing. You conclude to oftentimes you don't really get good photos, but you have some fantastic photos of the ape boy. So let's talk about the circumstances that the ape boy in Los Angeles Sheriff's department talking to a Canadian named Sandford Clark, an American consul in Vancouver. So tell us about the eight Boy.
Speaker 11: Well, the eight boys, you know. And I did not know about this at all until I was doing this book. And what happened is I came across I was looking for some other story, and I came across the trial of this and they have to go, you know, discover it. I was shocked that I've never I never knew about it. And as soon as soon as Death California came out, two books came out about the boy. But it was well put it this way. I had to stop writing this chapter for a couple of months. I just put it aside and worked on some other ones because I was getting too disturbed by it. This this guy SANDFORW. Clark. He came into the Los Angeles Sheriff's department and he told them about his cousin and.
Speaker 10: H you've been he's fourteen years old. If I's on the audience, he's fourteen years old.
Speaker 11: Yeah. He came in told him about his cousin, Gordon Northcott, and told him that you know, he was, you know, a chicken ranch in this town called Wineville, which is in Riverside County, east of Los Angeles, and he told them that he was kidnapped from his home in Saskatchewan nineteen twenty six and kept him this decrepit ranch against his will. And he told tales of the kidnapping, rape and torture and murder, all committed by his uncle. And that's Gordon Northcott. He was twenty one years old, and he claimed that his uncle was going to kill him if they ever let anyone know about what was going on. So the police department went out there with the Riverside Police and they just found like a horrible, horrible scene. They found bloodstained the stairs, blood was everywhere, cots, bloody axes, hatchet, they had hair on it. Just the most disgusting thing. And there were three recently consumed graves and.
Speaker 4: Lucky Land casino asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 12: You do?
Speaker 5: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting.
Speaker 12: Really, yes, excuse me, what's the weirdest place you've gotten Lucky?
Speaker 6: I never went in tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslaughts dot com play for free right now, Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 6: We're just necessary my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus every toys.
Speaker 11: They had the imprint of the bodies and the dirt in the bottom, and they found bone fragments. Actually, by the time it was over, they found two bushel baskets of bone fragments scattered out throughout that property. There's like young there's clothing that young boys would wear. And yeah, I was the police found this horrible mess. And this one kid, nine year old Walter Collins, he went to a movie and he lived in Los Angeles area, which to a movie never return, And that's kind of like what would happen. He would either lure the kids to the ranchs saying that there was a job or work, or he would just kidnap them, and his uncle Gordon would overpower room and tie them the cot and rape and torture them for as long as he felt like it, and then he would kill them. I was like stunned. I'm still kind of stunned at the story that such a thing could even happen, especially in nineteen twenty six.
Speaker 10: And what did the nephew have to do, Sanfrey Clark was besides witnessing some of it, what was his entire role in this which is even more disturbing.
Speaker 11: Oh, he would have to help him, you know, tie him up and all that stuff. And he'd have him in one case with that Clark boy, he had him carry his captated head, you know, bucket two different shed on the property. There there was a Hispanic boy that they found like his headless body out in the desert area. And that wasn't one of his victims too. They never did find out who that kid was. He said that that Clark was out hiding out at a miner's cabin in the Mint Valley, which I believe the Mint Valley is full of homes now. Back in nineteen twenty six, it was just desert, and he went and saw a miner. He had a friend that was a miner out there, and Northcott killed the miner with his friend. And when they were looking for mineshaft to throw the guy in, they found this Hispanic boy hiding and so he took him back to his ranch and did his torture routine with him for a week, and they ended up shooting that boy and chopping off his head. That's when Stanford had to carry it out. So the police found it the body along the roadside near this town of Norcoe, and they couldn't identify him. They never did identify him. One time there was a married couple came to work on the farm and Stanford or Gordon, was arguing with his mother. He was really babied by his mother. She was just dotted on and his family actually bought him the chicken ranch to keep him out of trouble, and they give him some kind of occupation because he was such a odd ball. And so this couple were there and Gordon and his mother started arguing about them, and they did the right thing and just kind of, you know, quietly got in their car and took off, and he had already dug the two grapes for them.
Speaker 10: Now the police are, They put out this all points bulletined for the capture of Gordon and his mother and his father, And so pretty soon they meet up with the elderly North time. What does he tell him, What does the father tell Him's sixty four years old? What does he say about his.
Speaker 11: He he was very proud of his son. He told the he actually told the police and the press that he was an ape boy, that he was covered with hair when he was born, he was like a chimpanzee, and he thought he was this horrible, horrible person. He would Gordon would go around and he always wore lipstick, which is kind of funny, especially in nineteen twenty six.
Speaker 8: And U but he.
Speaker 11: He, he he, he was definitely just very very disturbed his father. Yeah. Leader at the trial came out that his father was actually his uncle. He was he was what would you say, not a victim, but he was the result of an ancestuous relationship between his sister his father. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Now he the police asked the father Cyrus, and they said, did he tell you about the murders. He said, yeah, he told me about the murders, but I don't believe anything he said, and I didn't believe what he had said. But again he didn't say that, no, my innocent. He basically said he's a rotten guy and forced us to just moved in with us. Basically, you know, so now tell us about the actual capture because we we'll have to get to the trial, which is absolutely something out of a out of a very very bizarre movie. So tell us about the capture of the boy.
Speaker 11: Oh, he was when the police found him in Cavuary, Calgary, Alberta. He was on his he his mom was there and they caught her there and he was disguised as a female. They captured him on a train in Vernon, British Columbia. And uh and immediately assuming he was caught, it was like like the biggest time of his life. He was totally grandstanding about, you know, what what he did and what he was and the police thought that he was preparing for an insanity plea and you know, he was insane. I mean the fight Exedition Canada turned him over to Los Angeles police department. They run on a train only back down to Los Angeles and he totally talked about what he did the entire time, and he.
Speaker 12: He was like a.
Speaker 11: Show about He wanted the attention, he loved the attention.
Speaker 10: Well, that extends this narcissistic personality is that when he makes this confession, but then he goes to court leads not guilty and course defends himself. Tell us a little bit about this defense, because there is a moment in this trial that is truly I've never read anything like it. So tell us a little bit about how the proud was Leeds. It's a ridiculous one. But just tell him about about his demeanor and how he what he acted like at his own trial.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he he, he was just it is really one of the most bizarre cases that do you think, I mean, you know, it's it's it's just outrageous. He uh uh, he was proud of he is that that uh that uh that he would be by defending himself. You know, everyone says that, you know, you have a fool for an attorney when you defend yourself, and he said it'd be worth it. My name would become known all over the world, which is so funny because I've never you know, and I've been digging into this murder stuff, you know, since nineteen eighty and I never heard of this guy until then. So he wasn't uh, you know, known like he was. But he he he would stick his jaw out while people were testifying against him. He'd make like these big gestures. He I guess the funniest thing for me is he cross examined himself and he'd turn his head one way when he asked the question, and he turned his head the other way when he'd answer it in a different voice, that was I was just bizarre. And he brought up about his sister. You know, he had all these people they had to be brought out there from Canada and stuff and accuse the sister of being his mother and his father was also his grandfather, but you know, had nothing to do with the case. Yeah, he asked his cousin how did she get a black eye? And how did she know that he gave her a black eye? And she answered, is you punched me in the eye with your fifth Yeah. He would talk to the reporters during breaks and things and saying it was just terrible. What did you think was the weirdest thing? Did I get that?
Speaker 10: Well? I think that that is the weirdest thing across examination of yourself. I mean I've seen, you know, I've seen the thing where he's cross examining, like you say, his sister and he said, because you hit me in the face. The only time I've ever really seen that is the guy that killed all the people on the subway on the train, and he then was cross examining the he was defending himself and cross examining the victims and asking him absurd questions like that, and he was like, because I saw you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: The most heinous and disgusting part is and heartbreaking part is is when it was exposed that Northcot made the couple of these Winslow boys write a letter to their parents explaining that they had ran away from home. And then right after that and testified, and then the Sanford Clark, the fourteen year old, said that the nephew said, as soon as the boys were done with the letters, they were killed.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and as yeah, and allegedly his mother killed I think the Collins boy where she was just got fed up with him raping him for so long and beating him that she ran up and hit him in the head with an axe. Put the kid out of his misery. That Christine Collins, her son was missing, and she went to the police about it and they were like, oh, he'll come back. And then they found this kid ren away somewhere and he kind of looked like the kid, so they asked him and the kid said yes, sure. They put him out a train with a cop to Los Angeles, and when Christine Collins saw so that's not my son, and the sheriff from the Los Angeles Police Department said, well, you may get used to them, you know, try him out for a while, you may get used to them. And when she came to the police department with his dental records and other evidence, they lacked her up in a Saint Asatum And that's right when the case broke out. She was there for about four days when the whole thing opened up about Gordon.
Speaker 10: And it was interesting too, that is they've taken that one incident with the woman being hospitalized in them trying to impose his child that wasn't hers clearly on her and then deeming her mentally ill and institutionalizing her was the subject of the Clint Eastwind directed movie Changeling, Is It Yes?
Speaker 11: With Angelina Jolie and Jen Milkevich.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm, very interesting.
Speaker 11: You know that's I missed that maybe when it came out too, and so I did not know, And that was right about when I was writing this too.
Speaker 10: Now they prosecuted his mother as well, North Scott's mother as well, didn't they.
Speaker 11: Yeah, she said that she was the one that did all the murders and stuff. She was so devoted to her son, I've seen photos of her, and she was only like in her forties, but she seriously looked like a seven year old woman who lived outside her whole life. I mean, she just looked like she just suffered forever. At his trial, she could only cry. She couldn't even answer anything. They just took her away. She couldn't even answer.
Speaker 4: Okay, round two, Name something that's not boring London, Oh, a book club, computer solitaire? Huh oh, Sorry, we were looking for Chumbuck Casino to chump. That's right, Chumbuckcasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chump Chumbucasino dot com. Nocesslided by law eighty plus tarts conditions of blue website details.
Speaker 5: With Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 12: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Sorry we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 7: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 6: In that case, I pronounce you lucky thanks.
Speaker 5: For free at lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 8: No purchase necessary board We're prohibited by lack eighteen plus terms and conditions applaing.
Speaker 5: See website for details.
Speaker 11: Hysterical you said to that he was surprised.
Speaker 10: First thought, was surprised when they just read out his confession that he had blurted out. So it was like he made this defense, but it was pretty well shattered by his own words, and he seemed to be kind of stunned by that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he you know, he should have just just you know, he could always look at hindsight, but I mean, he should have known better. He was absolutely crazy, and he would have just been put away into the same asylum. You know. They wouldn't have they wouldn't have convicted him as a murderer or anything that back in those days especially, they would have just you know, locked him up forever. And I like that kid in Colorado that shoutouts people in the theater, and he admitted he did it, and they still did a trial out of him. And it's like the guys, obviously, you know, there was something obviously wrong with him, and he should be put into some kind of mental institution. It's a lot of a lot of times, you know, when people commit mass murders. Is like that women who in Florida who drowned her kids in the tub, and you know, they dragged around through this whole court case. And when that happens to me in America, I always feel that the prosecutor is just trying to grandstand to run for a higher office later or something, because it's obvious that, you know, people are crazy when they commit such crimes, and you know, to drag them through the court system and spend all that money for that is just I believe, a waste of resources. And it also gives them publicity that you know they either want or don't want. But yeah, it's uh, it's pretty obvious times when people are are insane, and Northcott was definitely one of them. He ended up getting executed for it too. I believe that if you would have just you know, plant insanity, he just he would have probably looked to be an old man.
Speaker 10: Well, you've brought up the issues, so I have to jump in here a little bit in terms of I understand what you're saying, but it is political the way you have compared to the Canadian system, you have politics being a main force in terms of somebody trying to get elected, and the trial just happens to be around that time and the public is already it had already resonated with the public, and there's a certain amount of outrage. Then you use that politically in terms of tough on crime and taking that and using it. But if you have a system where that's the way it's set up, then you will have those kinds of things, but there is still, bottom line, you do have more adherence to the victims, families and victims of God allay their needs and their wants, and a lot of that will be their wishes, and so some of that will be that a lot of people would think that we don't want to have any compassion for somebody that's capable of killing eight or ten people, regardless, we don't want to talk about resources, so we're gonna we're going to somehow care about rehabilitating that person. But yet they fear, really bottom line fear, and this is what really runs the entire issue, is that people fear that those people may may be released some day. So they I think if they had an assurance that they would never ever be released, and and and because they're never ever going to be released, there's a less you know, investment in terms of actual rehabilitation. They're not going to be placed on the street. So that's what you have. But I got to tell you you should just check out Canada sometime. And we have a gentleman named Vincent Lee just to show you the contrast. In the same judicial system, same laws, but somehow they've evolved in common law to the point where we have the I'm pretty sure you're aware of the guy that killed and cannibalized the person on a Greyhound bus and seven years after that crime is released to a halfway house in Winnipeg, and the assurance is that a psychiatrist has seen him and assessed his risk as one percent, which I think is pathetically laughable.
Speaker 11: Yea p zero.
Speaker 10: Percent, And this is based on somebody. I guess he will for a certain period of time, for a long period of time, have supervision where so that his rug regimen is maintained. But I always I can't believe that we're so certain that that medication or any medication can control this. I find it hard to believe. And I think that Americans would find it very very hard to believe in nothing like this, Holmes, gentlemen being released in seven or fourteen or twenty one, that would be outraged, wouldn't there be?
Speaker 11: Yeah? Yeah, in America, most of the laws in the States are if you are judged insane in a crime and put away. If you are deemed sane, then they will try you for those crimes.
Speaker 10: Yeah, in certain cases. But if you were unfit to stand trial, then you would have that. You would have that as well. But the thing is is that there is such a small percentage of people that use the insanity defense to their advantage in serious crimes like murder. We'll talk murder and then a very very small person. I think it's a quarter twenty five percent of one percent, so almost no cases whatsoever. But like I say, what's very interesting, I think, and I hope American audience is interested as well, because there's going to be more of these cases. In Canada. There was a case in Montreal that's being retried now, but I really looks like the only reason it's being retried is that the mother of the victims, the two children, is a cardiologist. It's a doctor, and what his defense was insanity, temporary insanity based on depression. He murdered his two children, and he he did receive some time. He was held you know, of course murder trial. He was held in custody that would have went towards a sentence. They used the insanity defense and the depression. It worked. He was put in him in an institution for six months and released free.
Speaker 11: Wow in six months?
Speaker 10: Six months?
Speaker 11: Yeah, jeez, Well, you know there's that you could fix.
Speaker 10: That, you could fix someone that. That's the thing that I think is a dangerous and when I think Americans hear that, they know and I think I've got to warn people as well as that if it works in this jurisdiction, it can work in another liberal jurisdy. They're always pushing the boundaries as you know, what what a lawyer will do, what he believes his his role is, and what they're they believe their role is in pushing law again of course, to their client's advantage into their advantage. It lived a very interesting contrast between the two.
Speaker 11: I think. Yeah, I lived in Wisconsin and you know there's the Ed Keane story. You know about them, right?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yes, yeah, So so I had a lot of friends in Madison that were you know, very very into it because you know, they're proud of their cannibals there and Jeffrey Dahmer and so. But he was put away in prison or in a mental institution just outside of Madison called Mendota Hospital, and he lived out his life there. I think he'd lived to be eighty three years old. I had a professor, my psychology professor at school there. She told me that when she was working for a PhD. She was working at Mendota as part of her program, and Ed Deane was there, and she said he was just the nicest, sweetest guy. You'd never know that he had done the horrible things that he did. But he was locked up forever. Whereas Dahmer, they weren't so so generous with him. But it might have been because it was a different time. You know, Dahmer was what in the early nineties and Ed Keane was in the sixties or the fifties.
Speaker 10: Well, Dahmer, there's going to be a book called Dahmer Detective, And so I've got to say that already. There's just going to be something out that I'm involved with as an editor and always talk about that is that I had interviewed Robert K. Wrestler and interviewed Mark. Oh jeez, forgive me the one half of the team of John Douglas and the mind Hunter team.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 10: Anyway, I won't just try to freeform his last name. Anyway. There was the controversy at the Dahmer trial in that Robert K. Wrestler, a prominent profiler, again claiming he invented it, and John Douglas, of course claims he invented it, but they both were involved in the pioneering of criminal profiling at the FBI, And Robert K. Wrestler went against his partner and said that Dahmer was insane, and Douglas said no. And I looked at that case up and down, and I would say that I would agree with Douglas. And the only insane thing, the only insane thing that Dahmer did, is that he got unorganized. And unless you want to be super rigid with this unorganized, organized killer, he became unorganized. And the real traumatic event in Dahmer's life at that time that made him all squirrely and unorganized and careless.
Speaker 6: Was he was very.
Speaker 10: Trepidacious about moving out of his apartment. Wow, so for a psychopath, you would think, what, what's you know? Is it a head sitting in acid or in my my my fridge.
Speaker 11: No, Jesus worried that he had collected. He was worried about getting caught or moving his dead It was just moving. It wasn't.
Speaker 10: He wasn't he wasn't never worried about being caught up to that point. He you know, his nonchalance in the face of no normal person would ever respond the way he responded. That's how you can fool people. That's how you how you fool police. Yeah, because you're not You don't have normal responses. The police know about normal responsors and sort of normal. Most people they know something's not even as they don't know what's up right. So even in your book, you have cases where people you know would have been killed, but they listened to a couple of people arguing and said, hey, let's get out of here. So yeah, well, let's talk Let's talk about the lady killer.
Speaker 11: That's all fact.
Speaker 10: San Matteo Palo Alto, nineteen eighty five and nineteen forty two. So let's let's talk about the lady killer and the background before that. When you talk about December seventh, nineteen forty one.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Pearl Harbor. Yeah, California was and there. You know, there's another case about that. It's kind of a direct result of it. But when Kel, when the you know, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, that just changed everything, especially in California where you know, these small little country you know, grain elevator towns were turned into giant air Force bases or army bases, and you know the amount of people they had to come to California in order to work at the shipyards and the rail yards and everything that they needed just exploded, especially in San Francisco. They had just a population explosion where overnight everything stayed open all night long, movie theaters, stores, because they were running ships twenty four to seven knocking out ships, especially not too far from where I live here, like in Malajo and all that area. Mare Island was there. The ships would come back to get fixed from battle damaged right in San Francisco, so they would go right through the city and people would see it. Just all these African Americans from the South came up to work in the factories, and so all of a sudden they had this big influx of people of a very different culture, and you know, it's it was a big mixing bowl, big toss salad of different races and cultures and religions that was just thrown at California. It was like a big custard pie just thrown in the face of California. And the pretty much the government was pretty much you deal with it, you know. So yeah, these these little tiny towns has turned into like, you know, rough and tumble cities. They still are too. Some of the roughest towns in California were built during the war for for housing and for all these people that came in of Lajoe, it's it's it's still pretty you know, it's like Northeast Bay and it's still pretty violent and poverty ridden. And what they did is they built like a hundred thousand houses in one year. And those houses are still there. There's still they were built temporary in the first place, and they never tore them down and built proper structures. So very big slum and there's there's actually in Vallejo, people are told Matt to get off the freeway like to skik gas or anything like that. It's like you just drive straight through. I know, a bunch of stories about people that you know, stopped in Vallejo and the guy at the gas station said, what the hell are you doing here? Get out of here, you die. You know, it was just a very tough place. And now it's when San Francisco had its big housing boom, like it's still going through now. All the poor people that lived in San Francisco, which basically was on Fillmore Fillmore Street in that area, they got priced right out of their homes and they all moved to the East Bay and mostly Vallejo. And you know, that's never a good situation when you have that many, you know, poor people moving to a place that's already poor.
Speaker 10: Now let's talk about you introduced thirty one year old Bernice Curtis, and you say, she's a very good looking woman. She had moved from Chicago. She was recently divorced. Our married sister lived in San Francisco and she shared an apartment with a woman named Elsa Martin, and she worked as a clerk at a cigar store. And November twenty third, nineteen forty two, Santa Clair Sheriff's deputies discovered her fully clothed body beaten to death and her fingers and her jaw were broken and the back of her skull cracked and her face shoved in the mud of a plowed field near an intersection.
Speaker 11: South of Palo Alto.
Speaker 10: So it looks like she pa put up a struggle, but it didn't look like it was robbery was the motive. So tell us about what proceeds with the sheriff's detectives and how they start learning about Bernice Curtis.
Speaker 11: Well, they did an investigation about her, and they found out that she was a very attractive person who was very very nice, and everyone liked her. She worked in the cigar store and there'd be thousands of people all day come in there just buy a cigar, a lot of them just coming in just to see her. I mean, we all have that place. I know, I go to one coffee shop is because somebody is so beautiful and it just makes my day. They found her in this in this freshly cloud field, and now that area is very expensive subdivision area. That whole area is not even close to being a muddy field. They checked her background and you know, everything kind of came out fine. She was just a you know, person living on around. Her ex husband was in the Army and he was out in the South Pacific, so they knew that he didn't do it, and her brother in law said that he was. She was dating a tall, dark and handsome lit Latino man named Frank.
Speaker 7: And.
Speaker 11: They did some more investigation. They were going out for about three weeks and he would always buy her a corsage of lavender, sweet peas and gardenia, and it was always from the same flower shop that was near where she lived, like he would stop there before he went over to her house and they'd gone a date. He worked in a shipyard in South San Francisco and he was divorced, had a daughter, had a I loved it, and they say he had like a pencil mustache, you know, so he was kind of a hipster guy. They were out clubbing at some nightclub in San Jose, and I thought that was kind of odd because that's quite a distance. You know. They have that song do you know the way San Jose? And that's because it's it's hard to get to that town because there's like fifteen different freeways you have to change on and there's like no easy way to get to San Jose. But they went there that night to this nightclub called the Hawaiian Gardens, and after she was murdered, her photo was in the newspaper and people at work there soday she was here with another couple and this guy they knew was Frank. Frank turned out to be a Filipino American from San Bruno and you know, worked as a pipe vetter, ship vetter or something like that.
Speaker 6: The cops.
Speaker 11: Had it, kind of had their eye on him for a long time because of a murder that happened in nineteen thirty five. And they found her underneath a railroad pass over, our railroad overpass on East Poplar Avenue in San Matero. And again San Matto is like a very nice town these days, and the overpass is still there, which I found really amazing in a way. I guess they don't go away, but it's kind of odd when it's like, wow, it's it's still there. But they found this woman there that was murder and they had they had thought, the police had thought that he was the guy that did it, but they could never prove it, and he'd always lawyer up. But it was to the point where he used a really unusual gun. It was made from Germany, and it was some strange caliber and there was only six of them registered in the entire state of California, and one of the owners of the gun was his father, and his father reported at stolen a couple of months before that murder happened. His father ran like a pool haul tavern or something, so he always hired, you know, his father would hire a hot shot attorney and he'd get him out. He would he got him out of it, and the cops are still like, I'm watching you, you know, for if you mess up, we're going to come back at you about it. So he had already murdered in nineteen thirty five, and here it was like to to seven years later he did it again.
Speaker 10: Now the thing is with they have him on He was that main suspect in that other murder. So then they they questioned him and he is real nonchalant. But then when he sees the body, he breaks down and he starts crying, that's me.
Speaker 11: The body of uh of Robinson, of Robinson. Yeah, yeah, he's uh, he's he uh yeah, it's hard to he's it's the hard guy to pin down. He was uh, he was a bad guy.
Speaker 10: Now there's enough evidence at for Bernice Curtis, there's bloody clothing at his home. Uh had his hotel room in San Bruno. So at the trial he he's represented, and there's enough evidence at this crime scene. Like I say, there's even a green feather is found at the crime scene which matched perfectly a feather stub of a hat that was owned by Alkalaide, and and some other evidence.
Speaker 11: So yeah, they found So there's a bunch of yes.
Speaker 10: Absolutely. So what happens at this trial as a result with all this compelling evidence and how does he respond?
Speaker 11: Well, he he denied that he did such a thing, and they had a bus driver went by and saw the car with the door open. And in the early morning hours when that happened, a hat check girl from that Hawaiian club came out and he had some coworkers asked he was always dragging about his dating life and stuff, and he told them that he wanted to go back to his wife, but Bernice was the marrying kind. He'd have to get rid of her. His father also set up a line of somebody else making an excuse for his alibi, and his wife came in during the resets and she grabbed his attorney and just walked out. She didn't say a thing to him. He claimed that he had that she had a date with another guy the day died, and no one believed him he was his alibi was torn to shreds. He a fifteen day trial too, which is actually pretty long for in those days. Yeah, he was ended up being sentenced to death and his wife died like just a few years later from pneumoniae or something, and he went to the guest chamber.
Speaker 10: And yeah, now that that does lead us to head and hands another very very bizarre story that happens in Temple City, Los Angeles County. And this is December thirtieth, nineteen forty five, so we're around the same time. And you introduce some characters here, fred Frederick Eggers, and he's the sheriff of San Francisco from nineteen twelve to nineteen fifteen. Yeah, and so tell us a little bit about this, this Eggers and what happens in uh in this little community.
Speaker 11: Yeah, his father came over from Germany and was on the Bord of Supervisors in San Francisco, which is, you know, the board of Supervisors elect the mayor in San Francisco. That's it's kind of done differently than other cities. And uh, you know, ambitious guy and uh uh you know, new immigrants and stuff. They he ended up his son, Arthur, ended up moving to southern California lived in Temple City, which was it's like another town east of uh San Francisco, and he oh, jeez, you know that it was pretty close to where the Ape Boy was. And you know that the town that that the Ape Boy was living in is called Wineville and they ended up changing the name of the city because it was so it was the murder was so bad, they changed it to Mira Loma. So let's get back on that one. It's like the criminal was so bad that the town where he lived changed the name of the town. But Edgar's was he was just a working, stiff guy and living in Temple City and there was all the you know that was going base. I think that's where they had tanks training and stuff out there. And now of course it's like golf, you know, pretty pretty much all houses and stuff. So during the war, you know, people their their lives were tossed out, you know there there, you know, little towns are full of men and women that weren't from there, and you know everyone had anxiety from the war, my own parents.
Speaker 5: Lucky Landslide, You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 12: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and weather. It's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 8: Play for free at Lucky landslapes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we? Just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting your steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your bright new day lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck casino dot com.
Speaker 4: We're just necess every dad wherever I lost et terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 11: It's got married after only meeting each other once. And you know, my dad was a dashing Air Force lieutenant and you know, and my mom was a nice Polish girl from each Chicago, Indiana, and they met at her brother's house and they ended up getting married. And I didn't know about this until I was in my thirties, that they had only seen each other twice before they had gotten married. And it happened a lot there. People became very promiscuous and everyone was drinking a lot and was saying, like, you know, why not. You know, there were having a world war. You know, let's just break out the booze and have a ball. As the song goes the the edgar's his wife, what was her name there? Is Dorothy? Dorothy Dorothy Dorothy, Yeah, Dorothy, Okay, because I wrote this book like seven years ago too, so it's been a while. But Dorothy, she'd hang out at the bars and she'd have her little flings and things like that, and it cause tension in the household. But you know, they argued and things like that, but you know, they stayed together. Who's to judge anyone's marriage. But on just January second, nineteen forty six, and by this time, you know, the war was over, but you know, things had to wind down. There were thousands and thousands of soldiers and sailors and airmen waiting at like in Oakland, at their train station. There were sixteen thousand people a day couldn't get a train to leave town. So, you know, nineteen forty six was a pretty rough time. If you look at the headlines during that time too, there was lots of crime. There was lots of murders and rapes, and you know, you got all these these guys that just came back from risking their lives and were used to killing people and used to you know, they became semi animals. Well they're out there. But January second wasn't a good day for Dorothy. And they found her headless and handless, torso in a canion. She was ramped in a blanket and tied with rope. And I was off the room of the World Highway, which is one of the greatest roads you can ever take. It's a western San Bernardino County, not far from Los Angeles. She had two bowl holes in her and she wasn't there for longer than forty eight hours. So her husband, Arthur, worked at the police department, the Sheriff's department in western Los Angeles County, and he went over to San Bernardino County to view the body. And they didn't, you know, let him. It didn't matter that he had, you know, credentials from Los Angeles County. It didn't matter. So he called his brother in law start pretending that she was missing, and you know, just played that part like, hey, where'd my wife go? You know, I better file missing person's report. And you know, he worked for the police department. I was just some kind of clerk or something like that at a substation. But on December thirtieth, he had returned from his job as he worked the evening shift, and he found his wife with another man. The guy ran out of the house, ran down the street, and that's when they figured that's when he killed her. And he shot her with a three eighty and then proceeded to cut up her body in the bathtub, thought off her head and hands and feet, and they were married for eighteen years. Too, wrapped her up and put her in the car and went up on the rim of the World Highway and dumped her in a canyon. And because he did it at night, he didn't realize that the body, you know, basically fell to where it landed on the side of the road. It wasn't that far off, So you know, it's almost in a way, it's almost cartoonist where he's like, okay, I'll just toss her up off this cliff. They'll never find her. And then you know, she lands like on a road down farther down the cliff.
Speaker 10: Now in January, he gets the police are onto him, so he gets charged for this grand theft auto and he this is the most fascinating thing, especially when in light of how much stock people make in light detector tests. This Aggers submits to light detector tests. Tell us what happens. He's confident what happens.
Speaker 11: They him up and there's a great picture of him tied up to the light detector machine and he remained cool and calm, and he passed it with flying colors. And then as soon as the test was done, he admitted to killing his wife and drew a map. And you know they had they had looked around and they were very suspicious of him. He had sold his wife's car, he'd forged her name, and he sold it to another He sold it to a cop that worked at the that worked with him, and he had cleaned up the trunk and things. And yeah, he but once he once he passed it for some reason. He he admitted to the crime. He could have been could have been let go scott free for all we know, or it would have been very hard to convict him. But he said that he burned her head and hands in their incinerator, and they they didn't find anything, you know, any residue of her. And he had said that he had buried the ashes and stuff like that. So he said it was against the law to burn anything after noon in the town that he lived in, in Temple. You know, like always, they always change their mind about the confession and stuff. But you know, there was blood in the car trunk that the police officer owned. They found blood in the trains. The three eighty bullet matched his gun. Yeah, they found a bone fragment in his gun, like between the magazine and the gun, like somehow it must have fell out. He's cunning or up or something. But he got the gas Teamber two and in a matter of two years he was put to death or his grime.
Speaker 10: Wow, well, let's change course a little bit. We just have a little bit more time. But I'd like to get to one of these stories because this was a very, very very unusual. What strikes me the most about historical crime is how similar it is to modern crime. You know, it's just different characters, different circumstances. But the behavior this narcissistic, the psychopathic, They existed a long time ago. So it's very fascinating to me because I guess I'm like a lot of people that think that it's a fairly newer phenomena, the serial killers and this type of violence, but from this book not so. So let's talk about Penny for her thoughts. And this is Daily Daily City, February first, nineteen fifty nine, a little bit more recent and twenty one year old gardner August Nori and tell us a little bit about August Nori and who he meets up with. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 11: Well, this chapter is always blurred me because I had read about it before in various books, and they always wrote that August Nori was this man slut Tom kat. You know, he was going after women all the time and he was married and all less. And I found exactly the opposite when I started researching this story, and it even got weirder towards the end. But August was like twenty year old guy. He a former marine sharpshooter, was wounded in Korea, got education in gi Bill to study landscape architecture, and he worked at the Lake Meers Country Club, which is a very very fine place. So he had a job and all that. And he was married just for e only eighteen months, baby on the way, and you know, he was just a family guy. All these other stories written about all say that he was a man about town and nightcluber and all this stuff. I even when I was doing the research and going through the paper, I really followed it through the San material Times, which was their local newspaper. They didn't say anything like that in the paper. I don't know how these other writers came up with that, but it's totally not true. And they found him just shot to pieces in the hills and San Bruno, just outside San Bruno is like you cross the street near in San Francisco. It's just one of those older suburbs there and they found his body near Lover's Lane type area. But what had happened is that he was driving is Chrysler New Yorker, very nice car, especially during those days as well as cards can have expensive cards, like on the level of a Cadillac or something. And he saw this this girl, Penny board One, walking and they say that they had they were familiar with each other, and that's where all these like, uh, tomcat things come up. But his his widow says that he did that know her. He saw her us walk in. He asked her if she wanted to ride, and she jumped in the car and start shooting this gun out the window, and uh, he was kind of like, hey, uh, you know what you're doing. You know, it's kind of dangerous. And back then, you know, people could just shoot guns out of the car windows. And they stopped and he was up there because he had a weekend job doing some guard landscaping work and he had a bunch of he had his trunk full of a bunch of just you know, recycle green waste and then they just dumped it up there. So they drove. He drove with her and the hill was just above her house. I mean, it wasn't that far away from her either, And they stopped and she pulled out the gun and shot him eight times or yeah, six times. It was a revolver, and she reloaded three more times. She shot him eighteen times, and fourteen of the bullets went right completely through his body. And he was shot like three times in the head, three times in the neck, chest, stomach. She shot him in each of his limbs too. So the cops when they found them, they were like, what the hell. You know, this must have been a crime of passion. Nobody shoots in that many people, you know, that many times, unless it's like a real vendetta. They found a kid who almost got hit by a nos car and he said there was like a blondhaired girl, young girl driving it, and it's like, what what the hell happened? You know? So they go over to Darlene, his wife. They go over to his house and they questioned her like crazy. They questioned her family like crazy. Turns out that like her brother was San Francisco police officer. You know, they're his best friend. August Nory's best friend was his brother in law too, and you know, his idea of a fun night was to go to his inlaws house and watch the TV, you know, which was pretty rare back then, you know, and watch TV shows and stuff. And so the police found that, you know, there's the guy was charming and handsome and stuff like that, and uh but you know, he there was no reason for anybody to kill him, especially to shoot him so many times. And the police, this whole case was just solved on just just detective footwork, you know. That's that's how they found anything, because they had no idea who would kill this guy. And after two and a half months, you know, the case started getting quiet and and Darlene was getting hassled by the police a lot. And the cops found out that the bullets were like a target bullet and they were made in molds, and this company in New Jersey made them and sold them. And they narrowed it down to who bought them in San Francisco, you know, what store had in wholesale, and who sold them and who they were sold to. So these guys, you know, after like ten weeks, finally traced it down to this kid, this twenty three year old guy, and they you know, squeezed them a bed I guess and found out that the gun or the bullets that he had given some to Penny Boordlin. Now Penny had stolen the gun from a friend's house. She knew that her friend's father had a gun in some you know, china cabinet or something, and she managed to steal it and she went out and shot it a few times with a friend before that. So when the cops came to Borgland's house and her family home and she only lived they were three blocks from the city limits of San Francisco, and she just premun said, you know, they got there before she got home from work, and they you know, she was She's cute, you know, full figure girl, wore the pudo's skirts and freckles, and she had strawberry blond hair and a ponytail and just you know, in nineteen fifty nine girl city girl. And they found she let them search a room and they found, like use paper clippings of the murders and things like that, and they brought her in for questioning and she ended up admitting what she did, and she said that she had always wanted to kill somebody and she just had this urge for about a year and a half. She said, it was almost a sexual urge to kill somebody for several years. And you know, this is just a normal girl. You know, she worked, She graduatedrom high school and got a job as a clerk in some business in San Francisco and stuff. And I found weird is that I would have been interested if they found any existentialist books in her collection or anything, because you know, this sounds like it's right out of Elbert Komun's The Stranger, you know, where she just kills somebody to see what it does. But these things that she said is that it's just shocking. She said, I felt better her mentally after she shot him. I felt like a great burden was lifted off me. I have no bad memories about it. I always wanted to see if I could do something like this and not have it bothered me. And you know, the police, you know, these these career police detectives were just stugged.
Speaker 10: And with this as well, that the expert witnesses that you would normally think would be trotted into court to try to, you know, try to explain her behavior, even though she is adamant that she's not insane. They were in agreement there was nothing wrong with her right ecologically.
Speaker 11: Yeah, nothing wrong with the psychologically. She uh just had an overpowering urge to kill someone, and uh, you know she had to reload. That's that's the amazing thing. And you know that's just it's like, oh, what should I do? I reload and shoot him some more. And she stuck to her story and never cried, showed the emotions. She was incarcerated, she told the police matron that she hated their parents because they made her go to church. But net she had like no no family problems. She wasn't like a bad kid. Some people say that she had once brought a knife to school to show everybody, and personally, I didn't think that was that big of a deal because you know, I'm an older person and stuff.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 11: It's like a family tradition in my family that when you have your first Holy Communion when you're about eight years old, the gift you get is a pocket knife. And you know, I've carried a pocket knife since I was eight years old. I used to go to school with it and ane of that stuff, and so I didn't think that it would be that unusual for somebody to, you know, do a little show and tell with their personal friends on their lunch break, like saying, hey, look what I got. You know, at least in those days or up to my time in the mid seventies, you know, that wasn't unusual for somebody to do. Kenny didn't. She said she knew that her parents were upset, and she said, that's really too bad. It's not really her concern. They had all the others come in.
Speaker 10: Yeah. What interesting too is that it again it seems to be very very liberal law here is that she's sentenced eventually to life in prison, but it made her eligible for parole in seven years. And you say that it's not really sure of the record, but it looks like it was believed that she was paroled in the mid sixties.
Speaker 11: Yes, she was. And so after this book came out, I was on the TV show Deadly Women, right, I was on two episodes of that, both from this book, and because of that, I was getting calls from the producer and they're like, well, we're as darling Nori and her daughter, and I don't know, I must have better investigative skills than most people, because they found both of them within an hour. I found their daughter who, she told me, and she actually she lives like in maybe seventy eighty miles from here, not too far away, north of the Bay Area. And I just called her out of blue and she answered, and she said that she was almost thirty years old before she found out that her stepfather wasn't her father and that and she didn't even know about what happened to her real father, so it was a big shock to her. And and not long after that, I said, well, here's my number if your mother would like to talk for this deadly woman thing, you know, it'd be nice. You know, I certainly didn't want to bother her. She you know, her horrible memories to bring up. And out of the blue she called me a couple of days later, and I'd never broke out in a cold sweat faster in my life. Yeah, I mean, I answered her with yes, ma'am and no ma'am's. And she told me the story how it was for her, and Peggy was let go. She wasn't even told, she wasn't even told when when she was sentenced and things like that. They just they just ignored her. You know, you think she's the widow of this, And yeah, she's she's a grandmother now and probably great girl mother, and uh yeah, she lived. She never talked about it for thirty years or so until that happened, and she told me that I was the only person that ever got it right. I still had some mistakes, but she said that I'm the only person that actually, you know, got most of it right. So that made me feel really good. Yeah, it was. It was really stunning, say the least. When I was don't to call my wife looked at me, she was like, what happened? It was like that bad. She thought some family member died or something. While I was a flight and covered with that. I was like because I just did not expect her to even not only call me, but she did take part of that that episode. Not too long ago, I found Penny boardin and she didn't return any of my inquiries, but I found it was like a Ventura County newspaper clipping and she was helping out at a senior citizens' home and she was dancing with somebody in this picture and it said Penny Borglin, volunteer at Ventura whatever blah blah blah dances with a patient. I was like, what, But she obviously doesn't want to talk about it, and I thought it'd be weird that she didn't change your name.
Speaker 10: So we have just enough time for one more. And I think it's inappropriate because this is one of the more shocking stories I've ever read, and this is especially for the time, and I think I would have been aware of this. I would think April eleventh, nineteen eighty one in Plumus County and the Kenny murders, and so tell us about the Sharp family and what they were doing and how they got in this position. Introduced this story for us. This is an incredibly wild story.
Speaker 11: Yeah it is. It is a truly troubling story, and it is still a mystery of Yeah, the Sharp family, her husband Jeans, he took a job out of state and they were down in their luck. You know, it's the eighties. Things weren't that great, and so her and her family stayed in a cabin at this resort called the Ketty Resort. It's it would be I don't know, maybe one hundred and fifty miles north of Sacramento, right in the mountains. So it used to be a resort where train would take people from San Francisco and they would stop there, and you know, it got run down after a while because of cars and people were able to go on their own without the trade. And it is way out there. I still haven't even been out in that area. I've lived in California for fifteen years. I've been all over it, sty haven't been out there. It's it's in the in kind of the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. So you know, they were renting out the cabins the people to live there because you know, the tourist season, the tourists just didn't come out there anymore, so they were living there. And this is just so strange. Her son and a friend of his and they're just teenagers, and they were goofing around at the end of a Friday night and then they thought, we'll go to this other town, see if there's a party, a town called Quincy, which actually another very horrible crime happened there. Later, they hitchhiked down there and went to you know, a cagger party out in the woods, and you know, had a couple of beers and so they smoked some weed and then they hitchhiked back. They're to uh Keddy and you know in that area. The cops. The cops know everybody, you know, that's it's not many people live there, and so they go to uh they come back home, and then the next day the police find this horrible crime scene. The entire family was butchered and beaten to death and tied with electrical cord and duct tape. They were all beaten to a pulp, multiple stab wounds. They used. Whoever did this used you know, household articles that were just there already, a steak knife, butcher knives, you know, hammers and stuff like that. Blades were broken in them and stuff, and they killed their mother. They was having these kids were having to sleep over there too, and so she had some neighbor kids there. They didn't hear anything. Her daughter was out of sleepover and she came back home and she found her mom. She found the two friends, John and Dana, beaten to death. The kids that were the younger kids that were staying over were fine near in the back room, but one of their daughters was missing, thirteen year old Tina. So this house is just covered in blood. This is a you know, tranquil place. And the cops came and I don't know if the cops did a bad job, you know, had they should have called the state police in to help, but you know it was a horrible crime. And you know, these two kids slipped food at a toddler and two adolescent kids and see anything that happened. It's never been solved. There's been over four thousand hours of investigation. There's been a lot of speculation. They have no idea what had happened. They eventually found Tina's body by a out in the Mountain's feather Falls in Butte County, which would be another couple hundred miles away. They found her body in nineteen eighty four. Does their scoutler means sixty miles north of Ketty. It's never been solved. A few years ago they tore down the cabin because there are so many sightseers and lookie loose going over there. I personally have a friend of mine who has this website, the Countess Despair, and it's always about all things murder, and she went there and did a whole photo thing on it. They've never caught. They don't know. They said it could have been a hobo jumping out the train, but it also could have been the kids. The boys might have been hitchhiking and person that picked them up the kid said, Hey, come on over at our house or something like that, and that's what he happened. But somebody just totally went berserk in this small town. There's a guy who's been making videos about it for quite a few years, and when I had a website, he used to comment on it quite often. I've talked to other people and they said that he had become so obsessed about it that, you know, a lot of people don't even talk to him anymore because it's like the only thing you can talk about is trying to solve this case. Never solved it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it does seem to dominate some people's lives in some of these cases. They gets so interested and the amateur spleuth comes out of them. And I and had that phenomenon with Hunting a psychopath, Easter, AIA rapist, original Nightstock, again a California case. It captivated Californians and Americans and everyone else for years, but especially people in that area. And again, unsolved really really does drive people mental. If it's never mind, we never understand the psychopathic, the killer's mind, but we really don't understand when we don't even apprehend the person's or persons. So very incredible tale. And I and yeah, incredible unsolved case. You did mention in that story as well that there was all kinds of finger pointing, and but there also was talk of satanism. Was there any ritualistic evidence? Was there any evidence of ritualistic murder or that was there anything like that that you found?
Speaker 11: No, the you know, in rural areas, people tend to believe more in Satanism and things like that, and it's always an easy, easy thing to point out. But once I'm wrong. I don't believe that there was any kind of Satanism involved in it. It was I personally, I think that the murderers were done by an opportunist thought that there might be money or something, and these people were poor, and he took the thirteen year old to probably torture and murder. I don't know if I'll ever find this case. They tore down the house.
Speaker 10: No, it doesn't again, it doesn't it. You know, I hate to say, it doesn't make that much logical sense for somebody to be picking someone up, but then that it lends themselves to be again an opportunity for maybe robbery, unlikely people to be robbed, and then this you do talk about this incredible overkill, which seems.
Speaker 11: To not.
Speaker 10: Again if it was robbery or opportunity, still there was just it seems to be a real slaughter house this place, wasn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's it's o explainable why or how it even happened. Also, the Cappins were all very close together, like less than six feet from each other, you know, because it was like a summer resort place, and no one heard anything, which I think that maybe the neighbors should have been looked at a little more. You know, it's been thirty years now, who know, its a thirty been alive. But if I was a police detective, I would have definitely really pressured the closest neighbors.
Speaker 10: But it does seem that a combination of things, the time, the small town resources from a county sheriff's department, and also just that there really wasn't Again we didn't have the benefit of the blood typing. Was just that they could see that it was the family's blood all over the walls, and they couldn't see any other blood types. It was blood type.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 10: But again, if it they found another blood type that wouldn't tell him much really, but it would tell him. It would give him a little bit more of an indication. But again, it seemed like there was a stark, a dramatic lack of evidence, even for that time, because we talk about historical crimes, so it seemed like an incredible lack of any kind of evidence that would lead to anything else.
Speaker 11: You know, it could have just been dumb luck for the killer or killers that they didn't leave any evidence in such a violent scene. Yeah, you know, because they all fought too for the most part, especially the mother. And you know, you would think out in the quiet mountains that the neighbors would have heard. That's I mean, the guy had left the place through the back door, which was on a hill, so there were stairs going down, and they found a bloodprint there or something, but they couldn't come up with anything. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, you say that there was no evidence of Satanism, But what I got to say is that, you know, the evil that these people perpetrate, and this person or person's perpetrated is certainly ranks right up there anyway, that even if it's don't believe in the mythological satan at least that entity and theory. You know, if we were to look at it, they'd be awfully proud of that kind of murder and mayhem and mystery and horror in a little small town. That's certain.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And the poor girl, Sheila fourteen, and she discovers the carnage of her family.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, I wonder what it's like for her now. I'm working on a story right now, writing my new book. And the children were involved. They weren't involved, but they were there afterwards, And I found some things that she had written on some old old websites for like two thousand and six, and I felt bad for her just with that because it was like a crime thing. And she was like, hey, I'd really like to talk to some other people that experienced having their parents murdered or their you know, especially by their own mother. And I just thought, oh, being that just you know what a horrible thing, especially if your mother killed your father or something. You know, how could you deal with that? You're like an instant orphan.
Speaker 10: Well, absolutely. And it's discouraging to me is when, especially in this country, but when the murderer, perpetrator of hainus crimes is in court and then trots out the sob story of the abuse or the verbal abuse or the neglect or they didn't know their parents. And yet these other people seemed to have to in this again in bizarro world, where they have to adapt, they have to rehabilitate themselves, and they have to you know, continue basically despite this PTSD, this trauma, this depression. You know, yet somehow us I think by a lot of people don't shed a tear for killers and rapists and pedophile They just don't because too much time has to be spent. I think just makes sense that you would shed a tear or less perverbably you would be more concerned about the victim and the victims' families and those impacted by these perpetrators.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you know, we all know people that grew up with a very you know, violent home life and stuff. I didn't grow up in exactly, you know, leave it to beaver world. You know, my parents were first and second immigrace a grands to America. They u still had a lot of old world thoughts, and you know, my mom used to hit us with a belt and all that stuff, and I thought it was normal until I became an adult. And was talking to other people and I'm like, yeah, my mom would come out with a belt and beat me. And they were like, oh my god.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 11: My brother said once that, you know, it's like we could all grown up to be serial killers, but we didn't.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't buy into that. That's another thing I just don't buy into. I really don't think that the normalization of these uber deviant personalities is constructive at all, thinking that we have something most people, vast majority of people have anything in common with a person has a capacity to kill, torture, rape, dismember, and then go for lunch. There's no way anybody's going to convince me, and certainly not a team of self serving psychiatrists or want to be psychologists that somehow we have something in common with these people. Oh, we all have the capacity to kill.
Speaker 11: Under the right circumstances. No, we don't.
Speaker 10: I don't believe that. I don't see any proof of that whatsoever. Ever, we likely have a hard time defending ourselves even when we should be righteous about that. And so what do we do? I mean, vigilante we always talk about, well, there would be a risk of the vigilante justice, but it doesn't happen anymore. There's outrage, but there's there's not that. So I don't think I think people have to rethink this, despite I don't have degrees behind my name, but I think that there I could assemble a lot of evidence to prove my case in that we don't all have the capacity to kill. And what's unique about killers and rapists and pedophiles is their capacity to do crimes that are clearly outlawed by society, not frowned upon, outlawed. Everyone knows the line, yep, and everyone knows what it is. And these people, these losers, want to transgress for whatever reason. I can't figure them out. I'm sure they couldn't figure them out, and I'm sure a psychiatrist in an hour or two or two years can't figure them out either. But that capacity to kill, that capacity to go over that line over and over and over again, is not a mental illness that we should excuse or we should think that we have something in common with These people are I think any true crime writer would agree these people are unique. These killers are unique and should not be I mean, certainly there's murders that seem more understandable, regardless I don't think the vast majority of people have the ability to kill impulsively, kill as a product of rage, but then sit down and calculate the dismostmer and disposal of that body and then their cover story. That is unique, and I think that should be reserved for these kinds of people. And there's nothing that reading hundreds of true crime books has told me otherwise that these people are truly unique. And there's just degrees of evil, as Michael Stone has said on his program, you know, just different degrees. That's my idea anyway.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you know, sure there are some people who you know, maybe their father or you know, their parents or somebody was completely evil and that's their their template for life. But to use that as a template, you know, for how you are is you know, that's no excuse because there's just so many people out there in the world that had the worst life imaginable, and they don't go around killing people either. Dozens of friends. I have one friend right now, he's like getting his PhD at like age fifty seven, and he was like kicked out of his house when he was like fourteen, lived down the streets an arbor. You know, it was an alcoholic and drug addict and all this stuff, you know, and now he's you know, getting like a medical degree. You know, when well this that China logic was it would be, oh, well he should have been like a serial killer.
Speaker 10: No, I don't. I think there's no correlation. I think that given my understanding of what a lawyer will say, can say, and believes he should say, is that those mitigating factors are provided by his client without doing any research as as to whether those claims are true or not. In my particular case I was involved in, it just made claims of abuse for the against allegations against the step brother that was still alive. There was never any investigation whatsoever. And the mother so and yet the mother was the person that adopted him into his family, and from the person that couldn't take care of him, these people took care of him. So what I say is that I think that the mitigating factors, the talk, the allegations of abuse, at least in the cases that I know of, they don't have to be substantiated whatsoever. So are they real evidence of anything? And so what would I say If I was charged and alleged to have done something, then I would give the most viable excuse I could possibly give to my lawyer, and he would trot it out in that courtroom. Yet it doesn't seem to make any sense. There's a correlation between sexual abuse and then that person becoming an abuser a rapist, when if you looked at the thousands and millions of women who are raped, there is not one scintilla of evidence that those women, even a small minority, go on to be rapists or sexual abusers. So again again, then what you what can you conclude? Well, it's only men, And then it becomes now we all get included, all men because we have some testosterone or genetic So it's genetic, but so so Hitler. So so now we wall up Germany because it's genetic. Right, Gazism is genetic, you know, so organic brain disease. After the fact, they go, yeah, well he did fall in his head. I you know, I'm fifty six years old. I know all my friends fell on their heads too.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: You play hockey, you play football, you hit your kid. Yeah, so GI give a lawyer a chance, And there's a myriad of excuses and defenses after the fact. That's what psychiatrists can do. And psychologists after the fact assemble this odd behavior, something that looks like and again, it's a dangerous slippery slope because in the end, someone's dead, someone's responsible. There is that carnage, and as your books point out, once upon a time, how we dealt with this was just a rope a rope and a quick trial, and that was how justice was done. So we've come a long way. I don't believe in the death penalty, but I do believe in people taking responsibility, and I don't I do not appreciate the move towards the normalization of murder. It is never normal and should not be treated as well. They're likely not to reoffend. If we base that in every bit of law, then no one would ever go and no one would ever stay because that would that's not the barometer it is. It should be at least safety and ensuring safety.
Speaker 11: So yeah, I totally agree. It's you know, do we have time for the death house and Davis, because that's the case where we're just out of the blue, you know, like I killed his entire family.
Speaker 10: Let's talk about death house and Davis. That's one of the cases I wanted to talk about and we've handled everything else. So let's talk about death house.
Speaker 11: So pretty short when it happened in nineteen seventy two, and Davis. Davis is the home of the University of California, Davis. It's one of the most outstanding agricultural science veterinarian schools in the world. People come from all over the world to go to school there. And you know, Davis has always been They were like the first town to have bicycle paths, like in the nineteen fifties or something. They've always been this forward thinking place. So this professor at you see Davis, and he worked his way up. He was in his forties. Me had worked as way up, mopping floors and working his way to getting his PhD. And he ended up becoming a professor. He worked on on.
Speaker 7: DDT.
Speaker 11: He was the guy that put together that DDT was making egg shells of predator birds. Uh right, too fragile, right, So he's the guy that figured this out. And he had this old beautiful farm on horses and stables and all these outbuildings and stuff, and just on the outside of Davis right now, it's in the middle of Davis, and him and his wife separated and he just moved to an apartment down the street not too far and he went back to his house and killed his entire family, all of his kids. And yeah, it was just just horrible, you know. He h. He killed his three children, and one of them was a young teenage boy who was coming home from a dance. And you know, that's just like, I'm the same age as that kid was. I remember, you know, going to those school dances in nineteen seventy two and stuff. And he came home about eleven thirty and he bashed his head and when he came in, he dragged all the bodies upstairs and master bedroom, laid him faith up, and then poured gasoline all over the house and burned it up. And I went to that place. It still exists. It was just sold about maybe five years ago. And when I was writing this book, I came across that story. First, I stopped in my car and went out there to take a look. The house was completely burnt down in big oak trees around it were still burnt and scorched, and the stables, the barns that were all there. I found evidence of some graduates, students who had squatted there there with their books and notes and other stuff. They thought that was kind of funny, But yeah, it was this beautiful place. And now they're going to they're going to keep the barn and a couple other of the outbuildings that were in good shape, and they're going to build like a green community subdivision there. But the owners, it was his wife's mother, and her family ended up getting the title to the estate and they just left it as it was for all those years, and they ended up once the mother died, her surviving kids sold the place for a lot of money, actually five million dollars. But when I went there, there was still you know, post hitched the horse up to, you know, and just like there was still evidence of like their family that lived there old twice, you know, in sheds and things like that. And it was just one of the most eerie places I've ever been. And then while I was going through all these like buildings that were falling down, I realized I didn't tell anybody I was going here. I didn't even I didn't even tell my wife because it was just like, oh, I gotta go check it out. You Davis is twenty miles away, and I was like, oh god, I could like fall through on of these floors here and they'll find me like six years from now, you know. But I think that possibly the reason why the professor just wigged out was that he was around DDT and all these other chemicals that he did with his experiments interesting could have poisoned poisoned him or just made them nuts.
Speaker 10: There was no other evidence. There's no other evidence. Like today, this familia side would be lots of times it's the again, the patriarch is having problems financially or something is going to hit his legacy or his health, and so in a weird, you know, weird thought process, they'd say, well, I want to take the whole family with me. So there was no evidence of anything that we would associate with these more recent murders of the last twenty years where somebody destroys their whole family.
Speaker 11: Yeah, no, he was. Actually they had a pretty good separation and that he was there and you know it was with the kids and cleaning the barns and you know, helping out there all the time. It's just they were just taking a break and the students didn't see anything different with them, and it just came we had completely out of the Blue.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I guess again, this book reinforces that murder doesn't change too much. It's just the characters and the places and the victims, but very much the same motivations. I guess people don't change that much. I guess over the decades, over the centuries, but very very interesting. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about death in California. For those people that would like to look for other work. Do you have a website and if they want to contact you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, by webside I took down. And if they want to contact me, I'm probably the easiest guy in the world to find on the internet. I have a Facebook page, I have a Facebook author page. Yeah, I'm a very easy person to find. And I always enjoy hearing from people who either have an opinion about something, or they tell me straight out I'm wrong, or they share a story with me. I always appreciate that I had in in the California Justice Book, I wrote about the break brothers who had shot a bunch of police officers and were underrun and uh, I've had relatives of his write me and and say you know, yeah, they were they were bad guys. And other ones would say not. And and one guy accused me the saying that they were actually innocent and blah blah blah. And I wrote back the guy, I said, if they were actually innocent, I would have written about it. It would have made a better story, you know. I mean, it's not my job to to to make history the way I wanted to. That's not I don't know if any historian that would ever uh not put in information that he found why or she found while they were ready. You know, after it's done sometimes you find out things. But when you're when you're rating it, you look for you know, you want to find out, could these guys been innocent? You know, that's a better story, you know, the way of setting history straight. There There was nothing I saw that made those guys seem menicent at all.
Speaker 10: But well, just people people involved hate to think that their loved one is a killer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's going to drive it.
Speaker 12: I Mean.
Speaker 10: The saddest cases that I see are the bum that can't you know, he can't admit that he's even though he's been convicted, his appeals are finished, and yet he's still got to drag his family to the prison on this thing that he's innocent, you know, and and what is the family supposed to do? Yeah, you know, what are they going to They're they're doomed either way. They know the truth, they're doomed. They they lived a lie, They're doomed. It's it's such a sad these losers. And that's what these people. And you have an inner book as well. Some of these guys are so brave, but then they're crying and at when they're going into the gas you know, they're reluctantly being dragged into the gas chamber after they were people torturing kids. So it's incredible ever changes that the cowardice of some of these people, uh so very it's fascinating. So I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about your equally interesting and fascinating book, Death in California. I want to thank you very much, David Kolchik for coming on once again. Thank you, have a great evening.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 10: Good night,